First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Sherry Coale retired on the job?

Seems like she did years ago. How long can she fly under the radar?

our girls are what......2-5 so far?! yikes!

Comment

Yeah...think it might be time to move on.

Comment

She struggled to beat Central Arkansas last night….
        She has done wonders for the OU program and is a great ambassador for OU but she now seems way too interested in materialism / shopping and so do many of her players.
        Attendance has dropped very significantly.
        Without a significant turnaround this season …it’s time for a coaching change.

Comment

Sherri "Bill Snyder" Coale

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post
            she now seems way too interested in materialism / shopping and so do many of her players.
            I agree that it looks like we need a change... but what's the basis for this comment?

Comment

Originally posted by camel at sea View Post

I agree that it looks like we need a change... but what's the basis for this comment?
              Listing to her and her players talk since her very early OU days about their shopping adventures and knowing people who know the program a lot better than me….who have held strong opinions for a lot longer than me.

Some of those people have wished she would retire or move on for several years… I have taken a more wait and see approach I have finally seen enough…unless there is a dramatic turn around.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
                Sherri "Bill Snyder" Coale
                I almost posted that same comparison

Comment

Originally posted by camel at sea View Post
                  .....ever seen Sherri courtside during games?

SS

Comment

Originally posted by SouthSider View Post

.....ever seen Sherri courtside during games?

SS

Yeah. She's looked like that her whole career. Have I missed her with her phone out doing some online shopping?

I think she (or her staff) just stopped recruiting at the same level. She didn't take advantage of the back to back Finals Four trips to get elite talent to Norman. She's had time to get the program moving back in the right direction and she hasn't done it. So it's probably time to nudge her out the door. But I don't know that she's any more materialistic now than she was 20 years ago. That just seemed like a weird critique.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerquest View Post
                      Seems like she did years ago. How long can she fly under the radar?
                      I submit that a couple of things might have affected her.

A program at another conference school known to condone rogue athletic programs, run by a scary-looking person, consistently winning the conference, which is something Coach C's team used to do.

The most unfortunate, tragic thing that happened in Wisconsin several years ago involving a former player. We don't know the details and it's pointless to speculate or to insinuate or imply guilt on any other person. Just sayin', it had to have taken something out of her.

Frankly just her age. When she took the job she was young and energetic. The conference championship was an attainable goal, as was the big tournament, the final four... The good times were just last week...

Now... complacent? Maybe it is time for change.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Badenoff View Post

I submit that a couple of things might have affected her.

A program at another conference school known to condone rogue athletic programs, run by a scary-looking person, consistently winning the conference, which is something Coach C's team used to do.

The most unfortunate, tragic thing that happened in Wisconsin several years ago involving a former player. We don't know the details and it's pointless to speculate or to insinuate or imply guilt on any other person. Just sayin', it had to have taken something out of her.

Frankly just her age. When she took the job she was young and energetic. The conference championship was an attainable goal, as was the big tournament, the final four... The good times were just last week...

Now... complacent? Maybe it is time for change.
                        What happened in Wisconsin? What are you talking about?

I agree we need a change and Sherri needs to retire or do something else. The materialistic/shopping comment is a bit ridiculous and frankly sexist, but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post

I agree we need a change and Sherri needs to retire or do something else. The materialistic/shopping comment is a bit ridiculous and frankly sexist, but whatever.
                          To be clear, I didn't make the comment about shopping.

The deal in Wisconsin... to make it short: A former player - I'd recognize her name if you mentioned it - was on the team at the same time as Stacy Dales - was living back home in Wisconsin. She was in a certain kind of personal relationship and wanted out. Called Coach Coale and asked for help. Coach's reply was that actually she had an open position for a recruiting coordinator on her staff. "You're hired, get yourself to Norman ASAP."

She never made it. You can do the math from there.

At least that's the story I heard. Please keep in mind I don't know any more than anyone else does, I'm just telling you what I heard, and I'm often full of it. But there it is.

Comment

I came here to say I've wondered the same thing. Read the thread and now I'm completely baffled.

Comment

Rosalind Ross. Just google her name. There was a good espn piece written 5 or so years ago.

Saw her play on the early 2000s teams. Was a horrible ending.

Here is what I was thinking of:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/news-comme...​​​​
                              Last edited by makila; 12-07-2018, 08:06 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Badenoff View Post

To be clear, I didn't make the comment about shopping.

The deal in Wisconsin... to make it short: A former player - I'd recognize her name if you mentioned it - was on the team at the same time as Stacy Dales - was living back home in Wisconsin. She was in a certain kind of personal relationship and wanted out. Called Coach Coale and asked for help. Coach's reply was that actually she had an open position for a recruiting coordinator on her staff. "You're hired, get yourself to Norman ASAP."

She never made it. You can do the math from there.

At least that's the story I heard. Please keep in mind I don't know any more than anyone else does, I'm just telling you what I heard, and I'm often full of it. But there it is.
                                The shopping comment wasn’t directed at you. It was a response up thread but I just stuck it in 1 post. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by makila View Post
                                  Rosalind Ross. Just google her name. There was a good espn piece written 5 or so years ago.

Saw her play on the early 2000s teams. Was a horrible ending.

Here is what I was thinking of:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/news-comme...​​​​
                                  rictus?

Comment

The shopping comment wasn’t directed at you. It was a response up thread but I just stuck it in 1 post. Sorry.
                                    No problem.

"Go Army, Beat Navy!"

Comment

I blame Jenna Plumley

Comment

Not if it true… not if it’s been a distraction to the task at hand.

Comment

I used to have season tickets for WBB as we have a daughter and wanted her to know OU did more than play football. So I’m far from an expert and there are certainly much bigger fans - but I followed the team closely for a decade+ and it’s clear (to me anyway) that Coale took a few seasons off (and may still be on cruise control). Recruiting has suffered. The team turns the ball over at an atrocious rate and has for years. And we don’t seem to have much of a system.

Last year I went to a game and we had more coaches and support staff than suited players. I don’t know how they practiced bc we didn’t have 10 roster spots filled.

That she hired her son (and was allowed to do so) says a lot about the importance of winning. I’m still stunned the administration allowed that - but says to me they don’t care either.

Wait until UCONN slaps this group around.

I don’t know when the wheels came off but if OU wants to chase conference titles again - they’re going to need to change coaches.
                                          Last edited by SoonerSean; 12-08-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Recruiting - last year's class was in the top 20. Next year's class; 2 of ESPN's top 100. By comparison both Texass and Baylor have only one. Whatever the problems were in recent years in recruiting, it appears it has turned the corner.

This year's team has 7 freshman, 3 sophomores and 2 seniors so they are very, very young. Ana Llanusa, one of the better players, has a broke foot so has missed the last seven games. All 5 of the losses have been away from home.

Sherri is not a win at all costs coach. She won't bend or break the rules like someone we can name in a town between Dallas and Austin. I think after Courtney Paris and the final four appearances she thought she would have her pick of recruits and wouldn't have to work very hard to recruit top players so she did "dial it in" for a few years. She's shown in the last 3 years or so that she is serious about winning again, unfortunately she has to build back up from scratch. This year's team will struggle, but if the freshman all stay next year, she should have a really good team.

I do think that Colton has helped her connect to today's players. Isn't Lon's son one of his assistant coaches? I think it helps perpetuate the "family" atmosphere Oklahoma is trying to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerSean View Post
                                              I used to have season tickets for WBB as we have a daughter and wanted her to know OU did more than play football. So I’m far from an expert and there are certainly much bigger fans - but I followed the team closely for a decade+ and it’s clear (to me anyway) that Coale took a few seasons off (and may still be on cruise control). Recruiting has suffered. The team turns the ball over at an atrocious rate and has for years. And we don’t seem to have much of a system.

Last year I went to a game and we had more coaches and support staff than suited players. I don’t know how they practiced bc we didn’t have 10 roster spots filled.

That she hired her son (and was allowed to do so) says a lot about the importance of winning. I’m still stunned the administration allowed that - but says to me they don’t care either.

Wait until UCONN slaps this group around.

I don’t know when the wheels came off but if OU wants to chase conference titles again - they’re going to need to change coaches.
                                              I don’t keep track of this but people have told me for the past several years that she often has teams with unfilled scholarships….and that she will not sign players if they have visible tattoos

Comment

Easy way to figure out the thread title. Coach Coale makes $1.1 million a year. Is our program producing for this pay?

Comment

Originally posted by BrokebackSooner View Post

I do think that Colton has helped her connect to today's players. Isn't Lon's son one of his assistant coaches? I think it helps perpetuate the "family" atmosphere Oklahoma is trying to sell.
                                                  Gasso et al

Comment

Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post
                                                    Easy way to figure out the thread title. Coach Coale makes $1.1 million a year. Is our program producing for this pay?
                                                    She must be doing some fancy fucking for that kind of pay.

Comment

Recruiting - last year's class was in the top 20. Next year's class; 2 of ESPN's top 100. By comparison both Texass and Baylor have only one. Whatever the problems were in recent years in recruiting, it appears it has turned the corner.

This year's team has 7 freshman, 3 sophomores and 2 seniors so they are very, very young. Ana Llanusa, one of the better players, has a broke foot so has missed the last seven games. All 5 of the losses have been away from home.

Sherri is not a win at all costs coach. She won't bend or break the rules like someone we can name in a town between Dallas and Austin. I think after Courtney Paris and the final four appearances she thought she would have her pick of recruits and wouldn't have to work very hard to recruit top players so she did "dial it in" for a few years. She's shown in the last 3 years or so that she is serious about winning again, unfortunately she has to build back up from scratch. This year's team will struggle, but if the freshman all stay next year, she should have a really good team.

My point was hiring a relative - let alone your own kid - when the team is struggling comes across poorly. Maybe that’s just me and if he’s paying dividends and helps to turn it around then I’ll be happy to admit I’m wrong. I always think when jobs open that we should be hiring the best coach available and when it’s a relative I wonder if that’s the case. Again - hopefully he’s helping and we see that on the court/bench/record book.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerSean View Post

My point was hiring a relative - let alone your own kid - when the team is struggling comes across poorly. Maybe that’s just me and if he’s paying dividends and helps to turn it around then I’ll be happy to admit I’m wrong. I always think when jobs open that we should be hiring the best coach available and when it’s a relative I wonder if that’s the case. Again - hopefully he’s helping and we see that on the court/bench/record book.
                                                        I think it comes across poorly regardless of wins or losses. My point is OU has a history of coaches hiring family members versus the best coach available. For whatever reason OU Regents seem to think this type of hire is ok. I won't go into how weird I think it is that he married a former player but recruiting has picked up the last couple of years and he's been a paid assistant the last couple of years. I also don't think OU should be an entry level position, but I guess the Regents disagree. A couple of articles on his recent jobs.

https://www.normantranscript.com/spo...dc33fb951.html

https://www.normantranscript.com/okl...bb1d0c1b9.html

Comment

I don't follow the women's program much. I had a neighbor that was an assistant to Burl Spencer.

Seems to me that Sherry has lost whatever fire she had originally, which is natural for anyone that started out as young as she was at the time and has been in this position for so long.

The materialism comment is just odd. She makes a lot of money. She should enjoy spending it. Bob Stoops built a mansion just off the highway where everyone could see it. He traveled to Italy. He bought property in Florida and Chicago while he was coach. Good for him.

If she relaxes by going shopping, great. Everyone needs to take a mental break from whatever their chosen profession is. It helps to recharge the batteries.

If she does it with the girls on the team, it is a bonding experience.

Men's team have bonding experiences too.

What I look at is results. They are lacking, for whatever the reasons may be. If she doesn't show improvement soon, she needs to be replaced.
                                                          Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post

I don’t keep track of this but people have told me for the past several years that she often has teams with unfilled scholarships….and that she will not sign players if they have visible tattoos

Jessi Murcer has a tattoo on her wrist and plays quite a few minutes this year. I do think that she avoids actively recruiting a certain type of player and those types of players do tend to have a lot of tattoos.

I don't remember a time when she had a full team (all scholarships filled). 12 seems to be the upper limit and 10 seems to be common. This has come back to bite her several times.

Comment

Not recruiting someone because they have visible tats is a good way to miss out on some top quality talent.

If the person can play, and she keeps herself academically eligible, it shouldn't matter if she has tats.
                                                              Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

Comment

Not recruiting people with tattoos has to be the most ignorant thing I’ve heard. If she’s really doing that, she needs to go. That’s such backwards thinking and if you’re so disconnected from human beings that a tattoo scares you off, then GTFO

Comment

This is good info. Thanks. If the talent level has picked back up, then maybe some patience is in order.

Comment

Halftime. #20 DePaul 53. Oklahoma 30.

Comment

Period breakdown:

First Quarter it was 23-17 DePaul. Second Quarter: DePaul outscored Oklahoma 30-13.

Comment

FYI, we have #1 UCONN this Wednesday.

Comment

Apologies, my feed was stalled for a bit and just caught back up. A little over 8 left in the third. DePaul leads 56-31.

Comment

62-35 7:16 left in the 3rd.

Comment

#39
                                                                              64-39.

Comment

#40
                                                                                66-43

Comment

#41
                                                                                  66-46

Comment

#42
                                                                                    I will give Coale this... no matter how bad her teams may be... she doesn’t hide from anyone with her scheduling.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      End of 3. DePaul up 70-62.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        70-64

Comment

#45
                                                                                          74-64

Comment

#46
                                                                                            74-67

Comment

#47
                                                                                              79-69 7:36 left in the game

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Sherri Coale quit working hard years ago. She should have been fired 3-4 years ago. She quit recruiting well and it shows! Yeah, she got lazy like Bob! Time to move on and pay someone much less to do a better job

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Does she have a brother Mike that might come in and help with her defense?

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    81-71 6:44 left

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1