Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Sherry Coale retired on the job?

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    And the university wonders why no one goes to the games!!!!

    Comment


      http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211790131

      NORMANSophomore guard Ana Llanusa scored 33 points, but Kansas State knocked down 14 3-pointers as the Wildcats defeated the Sooners, 83-75, on Sunday inside Lloyd Noble Center.

      K-State's (15-9, 6-6 Big 12) 14 3-pointers set a Lloyd Noble Center record for an opponent. Rachel Ranke hit eight 3-pointers for the Wildcats to lead four K-State players in double figures. Ranke's eight treys tied the most ever made against the Sooners in a home game.

      Llanusa finished with a game-high 33 points for the Sooners (5-17, 1-10 Big 12), two shy of matching her career high. The sophomore was 10-for-20 from the field and hit five 3-pointers, while knocking down 8-for-9 at the line.

      Llanusa's 33 points are tied for the 17th most by a Sooner in a single game in program history. The sophomore's 33 points are tied for the eighth-most ever scored by a Sooner in a Big 12 contest. The Choctaw, Okla., native matched her career high with five steals. Tatum Veitenheimer added nine points and four assists off the bench in 27 minutes of action.

      Freshmen Jessi Murcer and Madi Williams added in 10 points apiece. Murcer was 2-of-3 from deep and finished 4-of-7 from the field to go along with two assists. Williams scored in double figures for the 15th time this season and added five rebounds.

      Ijeoma Odimgbe logged a team-high eight rebounds, while Gileysa Penzo led the Sooners with five assists off the bench.

      The Sooners and Wildcats both finished with a .455 field goal percentage, but K-State finished 14-of-28 (.500) from beyond the arc. OU won the rebounding battle, 38-31, recorded 17 assists and finished with a .810 (17-for-21) at the foul line.

      K-State took advantage of the Sooners' 26 turnovers by scoring 21 points off OU miscues.

      Kayla Goth earned a double-double with 13 points and 12 assists, the most by an opposing player in Lloyd Noble Center history. Goth was 3-of-8 from the floor, but finished 6-for-8 at the foul line. Christianna Carr scored 15 points on 6-of-9 shooting, while Peyton Williams recorded 13 points and 10 rebounds.

      For more information on Oklahoma women's basketball, follow the Sooners on Twitter (@OU_WBBall) or like Oklahoma Sooners Women's Basketball on Facebook.

      Comment


        Originally posted by SoonerSean View Post
        Tuned in to a surprisingly close game only to watch us miss shot after shot and then turned it over on a fricking inbounds play. I had to change the channel. Last check down 16 and facing another loss.

        They should play in the field house. The few folks in attendance could at least make a little more noise.

        On the plus side - softball went 5-0 to open the season and looked stout.
        Think about this, the softball team just equaled the Women’s basketball win total for the season on their opening weekend. This normally does not occur until middle to late March.

        Comment


          My daughter works for OU (very minor role) and said that during the on court interview after the game that Sherri said the hype surrounding the event (Play for Kay) may have affected the team.

          Uh... sure.

          26 turnovers. At some point that crap has got to stop. Sherri blamed BU’s size when they forced 25. But we seemingly have 20+ every damn game.

          Comment


            Originally posted by SoonerSean View Post
            My daughter works for OU (very minor role) and said that during the on court interview after the game that Sherri said the hype surrounding the event (Play for Kay) may have affected the team.

            Uh... sure.

            26 turnovers. At some point that crap has got to stop. Sherri blamed BU’s size when they forced 25. But we seemingly have 20+ every damn game.
            What is her excuse for the other 16 losses?

            Pathetic excuse.

            Comment


              The answer to this post,is yes!

              Comment


                27 games in to the worst season since her first and Coale said in her postgame presser that the defense was bad bc the players continue to fail to communicate. She said it’s the same thing over and over again. It was game 27. Really?

                I will say that, at times, they do show heart and you see that in things like the 13-0 run they made in the 3rd. But they just lack talent and quality coaching.

                Comment


                  It seems that Sherri is approaching FUMS levels of hate from the message board posters.

                  FUSC?

                  Or

                  IWFSC?
                  Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

                  Comment


                    I'm afraid they have turned into Oklahoma Christian University. Watching them play yesterday, I was reminded of the 1980's NAIA.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Soonerfan1966 View Post
                      I'm afraid they have turned into Oklahoma Christian University. Watching them play yesterday, I was reminded of the 1980's NAIA.
                      Isn't that where Sherri played or coached before OU?

                      If she is still sticking to her "no tats" rule, then that is exactly who they are. Oklahoma Christian.

                      Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

                        Isn't that where Sherri played or coached before OU?

                        If she is still sticking to her "no tats" rule, then that is exactly who they are. Oklahoma Christian.
                        Played I believe. At least recruit athletic non tatted(has to be some) basketball players.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Soonerfan1966 View Post

                          Played I believe. At least recruit athletic non tatted(has to be some) basketball players.
                          yup played. coach at NHS before OU. not sure about time between ocu and nhs, if there was any.

                          Comment


                            Her brand of basketball has always been a bit frenetic. Seems like turnovers have always been an issue. But the problems now stem from poor recruiting and retention. She keeps talking about the youth of the current squad - but there’s got to be a reason multiple players have transferred out. I would imagine she will probably lose at least 2-3 of the current group.

                            Last year she had 8 girls on scholarship. I went to a game and there were more coaches and support staff on the floor than players. Why? Does anyone else deal with depth issues like that? It’s one thing to have a big senior class. It’s something all together different to lose a chunk of every class to transfers.

                            The roster right now:

                            Seniors - 2 - almost an entire class is missing
                            Juniors - 0 - an entire class is missing
                            Soph - 3
                            Fresh - 7

                            Look at the men’s team and they have 6 seniors (plus Reynolds and Calixte have graduated) and 4 juniors. They have the opposite issue - no underclassmen (combined 3 freshmen/sophs).

                            Comment


                              The Sooners finally ended the losing streak!

                              They get to face Baylor again this weekend.

                              Comment


                                Absolute ass kicking by Baylor.

                                We scored 8, 8 and 11 in each of the first three quarters.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by SoonerSean View Post
                                  Absolute ass kicking by Baylor.

                                  We scored 8, 8 and 11 in each of the first three quarters.
                                  It's worse then what the men have done.

                                  Comment


                                    Don't think anybody didn't see that one coming. Our problems are pretty well documented, & well, Baylor doesn't have that 1 in front of their name by accident.

                                    Comment


                                      After the beatdown eaflier in the season I wasn’t expecting a win. But 16 points in an entire half? Yuck.

                                      Comment


                                        It's definitely time for her to retire and move on. The program has been stagnant the past 6-7 yrs and she has no motivation (pressure) to do better.

                                        Comment


                                          Today was just another embarrassing game in an embarrassing season.

                                          Does Sherri look around and see the success of other programs and feel ashamed or does the million plus $$$ offset the fact that she coaches the worst team our athletic program has?

                                          Comment


                                            She's been on cruise control for too long and the results have shown. Making the million $$ plus with absolutely no pressure from fans or administration (until hopefully this year) only compounds it.

                                            Comment


                                              Women's team has lost eight road games in a row-if they lose this week to West Virginia, the streak will be nine. I recently got an e mail offering OU/OSU tickets for free. So the road performance is terrible, and nobody will pay to see the lady Sooners play. Is Joe Castiglione ever going to step in to correct this situation?

                                              Comment


                                                Surely they won't make the tournament this year with that pathetic record and no chance to be at 50% even if they win the rest. Since that seems to always be the excuse -- well, her teams always make the tournament -- maybe something will finally have to change.

                                                Comment


                                                  http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211792196

                                                  Comment


                                                    19 turnovers against a better team... and the Sooners won!

                                                    Pleasantly surprised by the outcome. 2nd road win of the entire season.

                                                    Comment


                                                      Two game win streak after beating OSU.

                                                      Comment


                                                        Originally posted by SoonerSean View Post
                                                        Two game win streak after beating OSU.
                                                        Give Sherri a raise for exceeding our expectations!
                                                        Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

                                                        Comment


                                                          Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

                                                          Give Sherri a raise for exceeding our expectations!
                                                          You joke but I bet she gets a small raise and an extension in June.

                                                          Comment


                                                            Originally posted by SoonerSean View Post

                                                            You joke but I bet she gets a small raise and an extension in June.
                                                            No doubt.
                                                            Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

                                                            Comment


                                                              Led TCU - at home - by 6 at the end of the first half and lost by 13.

                                                              Comment


                                                                Originally posted by SoonerSean View Post
                                                                Led TCU - at home - by 6 at the end of the first half and lost by 13.
                                                                The current state of the women’s BB program is the result of years of complacency

                                                                Comment


                                                                  I remember a few years ago, not long after Bob broke out the khaki pants and flannel shirt, and started whittlin' on the job, Sherri was quoted in some interview I read as saying how her dream was to retire to the Carolinas, sit on the porch and write. She should look into that. In fact, she should've looked into it about five plus years ago.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    Sherri will after this year only if Colton is name the new coach

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      Originally posted by really View Post
                                                                      Sherri will after this year only if Colton is name the new coach
                                                                      Fire them both. Clean slate.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        She’ll be extended. Which I honestly don’t understand. I can see doing that for Riley or someone you legit worry about leaving. But a coach of a non-revenue sport who wouldn’t be high on any coaching want lists?

                                                                        Extending just adds to the potential buyout costs and if it’s for recruiting only then the contract should include some kind of separation language that eliminates the hefty cost.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          Sherri admits during the post game that we were pretty much shoved around for most of the game. At least she can finally see that. That's been happening forever. Baylor, A$M, etc., have always killed us with their 6'2"-3" athletes.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
                                                                            Sherri admits during the post game that we were pretty much shoved around for most of the game. At least she can finally see that. That's been happening forever. Baylor, A$M, etc., have always killed us with their 6'2"-3" athletes.
                                                                            We have fallen so far from where we were a few years ago.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              When Coale hired her non-qualified son wasn't she sticking out her middle finger to fans, like I don't give a crap what anybody thinks and I am all powerful in relation to the program?
                                                                              At least Mike Stoopid had some credentials but failed miserably if you want to make any sort of a comparison to the these type of hires.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                If I gave a damn about women's basketball I'd be raising hell.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  Originally posted by cfin5256 View Post

                                                                                  We have fallen so far from where we were a few years ago.
                                                                                  Last Conference title 10 years ago, and guessing won't have another as long as SC remains--her recruiting efforts are lacking and it shows in the talent she puts on the floor--

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    Originally posted by soonerquest View Post

                                                                                    Last Conference title 10 years ago, and guessing won't have another as long as SC remains--her recruiting efforts are lacking and it shows in the talent she puts on the floor--
                                                                                    Speaking of conference titles, Rice just clinched the Conference USA title with a 59-47 victory over North Texas. They were lead by former OU player Nancy Mulkey, who scored 24 points on 10 of 15 shooting. They are a top 25 team with 16 straight wins. Arkansas is lead by former OU player Chelsea Dungee, who is averaging 19 points a game for a 17 win team. OU, I believe, has yet to reach the double digit win level. So not only does Sherri struggle in recruiting, she also struggles to keep some of her better players on the team./

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      There was discussion about transfers in an article linked earlier in this thread but it was only in the context that they’ve hurt the program vs any explanation as to why we’ve lost so many players in recent years. It used to be that our incoming stars tore an ACL but now they just leave. I’m curious as to why - especially when Coale says she has an issue recruiting transfers bc she doesn’t get to know the players and insure they’ll be a good fit. Well - the ones she has gotten to know don’t stay... might as well try some transfers.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        Originally posted by soonerquest View Post

                                                                                        Last Conference title 10 years ago, and guessing won't have another as long as SC remains--her recruiting efforts are lacking and it shows in the talent she puts on the floor--
                                                                                        Sherri coale is done winning at any respectable level. She will never win another conference title. She will never get it back.

                                                                                        She deserves to be fired but Joe C, again, only cares about football and he won’t do anything until enough important people tell him to do something. That’s never going to happen with women’s basketball.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          Sooners were down 16 to start the 4th against TT and clawed back to take the lead with 1:14 to go. But a turnover by Madi doomed them with under 0:30 left and then they fell apart. TT sealed the deal at the FT line and won going away. Sooners fall to 8-21.

                                                                                          29 turnovers in the game. 29!!!

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
                                                                                            It seems that Sherri is approaching FUMS levels of hate from the message board posters.

                                                                                            FUSC?

                                                                                            Or

                                                                                            IWFSC?
                                                                                            I prefer the IWFSC~

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post

                                                                                              Sherri coale is done winning at any respectable level. She will never win another conference title. She will never get it back.

                                                                                              She deserves to be fired but Joe C, again, only cares about football and he won’t do anything until enough important people tell him to do something. That’s never going to happen with women’s basketball.
                                                                                              well...IF women's gyn and softball continue to dominate he might.

                                                                                              Going from top of the big 12/top 15 usually with 6K watching a game to this shit will cause something I'd image...

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
                                                                                                Sherri admits during the post game that we were pretty much shoved around for most of the game. At least she can finally see that. That's been happening forever. Baylor, A$M, etc., have always killed us with their 6'2"-3" athletes.
                                                                                                well i wish someone would ask her why she doesn't recruit 6'2 6'3 athletic girls....

                                                                                                another post had 2 of our transfers kicking ass at Rice (6'10 Mulkey) and Ark...Dungee...

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  Originally posted by Adrian View Post

                                                                                                  Speaking of conference titles, Rice just clinched the Conference USA title with a 59-47 victory over North Texas. They were lead by former OU player Nancy Mulkey, who scored 24 points on 10 of 15 shooting. They are a top 25 team with 16 straight wins. Arkansas is lead by former OU player Chelsea Dungee, who is averaging 19 points a game for a 17 win team. OU, I believe, has yet to reach the double digit win level. So not only does Sherri struggle in recruiting, she also struggles to keep some of her better players on the team./
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Soonerjeepman View Post

                                                                                                  well i wish someone would ask her why she doesn't recruit 6'2 6'3 athletic girls....

                                                                                                  another post had 2 of our transfers kicking ass at Rice (6'10 Mulkey) and Ark...Dungee...
                                                                                                  About a month ago I had a connecting flight in Charlotte, and the Rice women's team was walking ahead of me. I was in a hurry and they were taking their sweet time and blocking the entire walkway.

                                                                                                  There was his one tall blond girl, tallest woman I have every seen. Was that Mulkey?

                                                                                                  Some guy behind me blurts out "That girl is going to bump her head on the ceiling!" and his wife was "shushing" him and elbowing him in the ribs.
                                                                                                  Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    Love this quote after Mulkey left:

                                                                                                    “Transferring is such an interesting thing right now,” Coale said at a Sooner Caravan stop in Tulsa earlier this month. “It doesn’t happen to us very often, so we’re not well-versed in how to deal with it, but every time it does happen, the first thing I do is think, ‘What could I have done better in the talent identification piece, in the vetting process, in the development of the kid? Where could we have done better?

                                                                                                    “Then, sometimes, players are just unwilling or uninterested in upholding the standards of your program. And yet, it's always hard to let them go, because when you invest so deeply in something it's always hard to walk away from it.”

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                      Originally posted by SoonerSean View Post
                                                                                                      Love this quote after Mulkey left:
                                                                                                      I wonder what standards Mulkey wasn't upholding. She's now at Rice, and their academic standards are much higher than OU's.

                                                                                                      Did she get a tat?
                                                                                                      Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                                                                                      Collapse

                                                                                                      Go To Top

                                                                                                      Collapse

                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1