Announcement

Collapse

NEW POSTERS

POST REQUIREMENTS TO START A THREAD HAVE BEEN SET AT 25!

See more
See less

***Official NBA Draft & trades and shit, by the Thunder, 6ers & the other teams***

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***Official NBA Draft & trades and shit, by the Thunder, 6ers & the other teams***

NBA Draft 2019 rumors LIVE UPDATES: Will Warriors sign-and-trade Kevin Durant? Celtics trading Jaylen Brown, Aron Baynes? | Latest news, deals

UPDATE (11:05 a.m.): The Warriors might be willing to help Kevin Durant by signing him to a contract, allowing him to rehab and then trading him a team that wants him, a la the New York Knicks. At least, that’s according to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst......

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/06/nb...n-johnson.html

Mixer! faxed this content to me to post: 12-Month Process: The Thunder Front Office's Journey to Draft Night

After selecting Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and James Harden in three consecutive draft classes, Presti earned accolades as a draft whiz. He’s backed that up with shrewd selections later in the draft as well, as the Thunder’s success has meant picking mostly in the 20’s over the last decade.

In 2011, the Thunder selected Reggie Jackson with the 24th pick. In 2013, he nabbed Steven Adams with the 12thselection. On draft night in 2016, with zero picks, Presti pulled off a blockbuster trade to acquire Victor Oladipo and Domas Sabonis, the number 11 pick. One year later, those players were traded to Indiana to get Paul George. Even last season, the Thunder worked deep into the night to buy into the second round to get Hamidou Diallo, proving once again that every selection matters....

https://www.nba.com/thunder/feature/draft-night-190618

Comment

Looking forward to watching Christian James go early. Smartest basketball guy I know says he'll be top 14.

Comment

I can’t wait to be #prestid tonight.

Comment

I can’t wait for all the draft grades to come out by the experts.

Only to be be proven wrong in a couple years.

Comment

Thanks for handling that for me keef, just got home and am watching the draft now. A bit surprised that Murray State PG is still available, did he not grade out well in the combine; or is he on one of those hush-hush deals?

Comment

Originally posted by Mixer! View Post
              Thanks for handling that for me keef, just got home and am watching the draft now. A bit surprised that Murray State PG is still available, did he not grade out well in the combine; or is he on one of those hush-hush deals?
              Went number 2 overall.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSooners7 View Post
                Went number 2 overall.
                Saw that 10 seconds after I posted that, thanks.

Comment

Holy shit you’re on the clock!!!

or not

Comment

Rumour is we might trade our last pick to the grizz. You heard it here first.

Probably.

Comment

Potential.........

Comment

Jesus Christ, we literally just drafted an intern.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

It's such a presti pick you know he wants him. Does absolutely nothing to help with our window that might exist right now.

Comment

Presti is a bed shitter, and the mess he's made just keeps getting bigger and smellier.

Comment

I wonder if George watches what’s happening and goes “fuck.....I could’ve been in LA on a team with at least a chance.....”

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Sand

Explain this part.
                                  On winning anything .....at all.

With LeBron, AD, and whichever free agent they sign will have a chance to challenge in the West.

Unlike OKC.....with Westbrook .....and the rest of the non-shooting length of the Thunder.

Comment

Originally posted by Not2121 View Post

On winning anything .....at all.

With LeBron, AD, and whichever free agent they sign will have a chance to challenge in the West.

Unlike OKC.....with Westbrook .....and the rest of the non-shooting length of the Thunder.
                                    Would LA be able to afford all 3 and have anything worth a damn around them? Not privy to all the new bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Wagon View Post
                                      Presti is a bed shitter, and the mess he's made just keeps getting bigger and smellier.
                                      Presti is not finished— expect some moves in next few weeks
                                      Last edited by soonerquest; 06-20-2019, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
                                        We saw what the thunder were capable of when healthy last year. They were dominant.

I havent lost lost faith that this team can compete for a championship.
                                        When was this? I do not recall them being higher than the 3 seed in the West at any point, even after having a very soft schedule the first part of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Not2121 View Post
                                          I wonder if George watches what’s happening and goes “fuck.....I could’ve been in LA on a team with at least a chance.....”
                                          I was going to post the same thing. He could be making Space Jam 2 with Lebron right now instead of being stuck with this shit team.

Comment

We saw what the thunder were capable of when healthy last year. They were dominant.

I havent lost lost faith that this team can compete for a championship.
                                            WTF?

Comment

They had a really nice run in November and then again mid Jan to the all star break.
                                              They were one of the better teams in the league before the all star break
                                              ...when their schedule was soft, Bounce.

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Sand View Post

Would LA be able to afford all 3 and have anything worth a damn around them? Not privy to all the new bleep.
                                                I’m not an expert on all the cap workings, nor do I care to be, but if GSW can have the roster they do, I’m sure they can find a way to get some FA’s to sign.

Comment

Not that Jan-feb stretch

and simebody has to try and pump some shine
                                                  Russ PG and Dre all hurt too, right?

just trying to help.

Comment

Originally posted by makila View Post
                                                    It's such a presti pick you know he wants him. Does absolutely nothing to help with our window that might exist right now.
                                                    What Presti is telling Thunder management (as of now):

On the 1st round pick potential to be parlayed into a great trade...

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                                                      Looking forward to watching Christian James go early. Smartest basketball guy I know says he'll be top 14.
                                                      How is 87 these days?
                                                      Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

Comment

So it looks like the cool thing to do is make a trade. The crawl during the baseball game was insane to read. Guessing 60% of the picks were thru trade.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
                                                          So it looks like the cool thing to do is make a trade. The crawl during the baseball game was insane to read. Guessing 60% of the picks were thru trade.
                                                          The draft / trade / salary cap rules are a joke.

The GMs just find ways to work around them. Sign and trade. Draft and trade. Trade expiring contracts, etc.

Comment

The NBA seriously needs to clean up all this confusing draft nonsense. It's to the point where most players aren't even staying with the teams who draft them and half of these can't even be talked about for another 10 days. Why even do the photo op with the team hat right after the pick?

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoLab View Post
                                                              The NBA seriously needs to clean up all this confusing draft nonsense. It's to the point where most players aren't even staying with the teams who draft them and half of these can't even be talked about for another 10 days. Why even do the photo op with the team hat right after the pick?
                                                              Agreed. they have to fix this. That was ridiculous.

And fix the college portal too while you're at it.

Comment

I mean, I remember James' freshman year and thinking there was a lot of potential there too so I can't be too snarky but surely our Basketball Genius backed way off of lottery pick type talk after his sophmore year, right?

On a hilarious sort of side note, in Dallas last October for the football game, a buddy and I took an uber and the driver grew up with Odomes and she was like "our whole town can't wait till he makes it to the NBA" and I did try to like bite my tongue and try to sorta let her down easy etc. I hate ripping on OU players because I've been around enough to realize that they're nearly all just normal kids busting their ass and working as hard as they can but I REALLY hope James, Odomes and even Lattin graduated and get great jobs etc, maybe even a shot at continuing playing overseas or whatever. All 3 have NBA athleticism but are nowhere near good enough at basketball to realistically think they could make it at the highest level.

Comment

The Big 12 had 4 guys picked. 2 from ISU. ZERO from OU, OSU, KU, KSU, WV, BU, TCU. Awesome job guys.

You know who had guys drafted? Tulsa, Missouri STATE, Wyoming, Yale, Hofstra, San Diego St, College of Charleston, Nevada......

Comment

Originally posted by ACoolOkieDude View Post

I mean, I remember James' freshman year and thinking there was a lot of potential there too so I can't be too snarky but surely our Basketball Genius backed way off of lottery pick type talk after his sophmore year, right?

On a hilarious sort of side note, in Dallas last October for the football game, a buddy and I took an uber and the driver grew up with Odomes and she was like "our whole town can't wait till he makes it to the NBA" and I did try to like bite my tongue and try to sorta let her down easy etc. I hate ripping on OU players because I've been around enough to realize that they're nearly all just normal kids busting their ass and working as hard as they can but I REALLY hope James, Odomes and even Lattin graduated and get great jobs etc, maybe even a shot at continuing playing overseas or whatever. All 3 have NBA athleticism but are nowhere near good enough at basketball to realistically think they could make it at the highest level.
                                                                    He started adding "if he had Buddy's work ethic"...or maybe that was about Willie Warren...or both.

Comment

I thought the Thunder might snag Nassir Little who fell all the way to 25. I was actually hoping the Mavericks would pick Bol Bol because at that point in the draft i thought the risk was worth the upside. Instead we end up with Isaiah Roby out of Nebraska who's supposedly a long defensive workhorse, who they evidently wanted earlier in the 2nd round but ended up sliding to them late in the 2nd round. Or that's at least what Donnie Nelson hinted at seeing he wasn't even allowed to say his name at the post draft press conference until the trades are finalized. I agree, the NBA needs to fix that.

Comment

I had a different user name on LT but the reason I keep jabbing '87 even though he isn't here anymore is because I had the temerity after James' freshman year to say that he did nothing that year to indicate that he was going to be "the next Buddy Hield, maybe better". From my POV, he looked like a guy with the potential to maybe get to second team all conference. Well guess what. This year he made second team all conference. Got called dumbazz countless times for suggesting this.

The fact of the matter is that Christian James took heaps of abuse he never deserved because '87 and others like him in the media put such high expectations on him.

As to the other guys, anybody even suggesting that Odomes could play NBA based on his being 6'6" and having only a drive left to the basket game is delusional. Got called dumbazz for that as well.

McNeace is an interesting guy because of the three he is the only one who actually had NBA physical talent. IMO he was way too raw when he came in and for a number of reasons his progress was hampered but he should keep playing because he has the potential to get a LOT better.

That brings us to '87s fourth sure fire pro. Doolittle. Very intrigued by Doolittle and hope '87 is right on him. Go Doo, make '87 make a fool out of me this time. LOL.

Comment

I had a different user name on LT but the reason I keep jabbing '87 even though he isn't here anymore is because I had the temerity after James' freshman year to say that he did nothing that year to indicate that he was going to be "the next Buddy Hield, maybe better". From my POV, he looked like a guy with the potential to maybe get to second team all conference. Well guess what. This year he made second team all conference. Got called dumbazz countless times for suggesting this.

The fact of the matter is that Christian James took heaps of abuse he never deserved because '87 and others like him in the media put such high expectations on him.

As to the other guys, anybody even suggesting that Odomes could play NBA based on his being 6'6" and having only a drive left to the basket game is delusional. Got called dumbazz for that as well.

McNeace is an interesting guy because of the three he is the only one who actually had NBA physical talent. IMO he was way too raw when he came in and for a number of reasons his progress was hampered but he should keep playing because he has the potential to get a LOT better.

That brings us to '87s fourth sure fire pro. Doolittle. Very intrigued by Doolittle and hope '87 is right on him. Go Doo, make '87 make a fool out of me this time. LOL.
                                                                          Did 87 actually state that Buddy would not survive in the NBA beyond his rookie contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

Did 87 actually state that Buddy would not survive in the NBA beyond his rookie contract?
                                                                            I saw other people reference that but never took the time to go back and find the actual post. I did confirm 'the CJ is the next Buddy Hield maybe better' post after he started denying that he said it. He spent the whole pre and early season hyping Christian James in '16-17 season as well as the other two.

When it turned out we weren't any good that year it was all "mental" and that they would snap out of it over time.

The next year the focus was on Trae Young so he didn't have to defend the other guys as much but still it was all "mental". Then this year he didn't come with us to DB. Must be imparting his wisdom on some other folks these days.

But even Cool Okie Dude (who IS a Cool Okie Dude) posted that those guys had "NBA athleticism". I would tend to disagree. But I bet we could have a constructive conversation concerning this issue without it devolving into an "I'm right.......... because I'm never wrong........and you are a dumbazz" one way pissing contest like it always did with '87. (OK, I admit it..........I actually kind of miss it). LOL.

Comment

#39
                                                                              But I bet we could have a constructive conversation concerning this issue without it devolving into an "I'm right.......... because I'm never wrong........and you are a dumbazz" one way pissing contest like it always did with '87. (OK, I admit it..........I actually kind of miss it). LOL.
                                                                              There are several posters here who can fill that need for you. PM 48A for details.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by keef View Post

There are several posters here who can fill that need for you. PM 48A for details.

LOL, I love 48 because he stands up for the Oklahoma 'croots........but I already have a wall in my house which is available for argumentative purposes.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by keef View Post

48s never wrong!

Comment

#42
                                                                                    But even Cool Okie Dude (who IS a Cool Okie Dude) posted that those guys had "NBA athleticism". I would tend to disagree.
                                                                                    To be honest, I'm not even sure "NBA Athleticism" is much of a thing. There's VAST differences between like Russ and Crisp Haul(even when he was at his prime) and with basketball, being skilled is more important. I'm nearly 40, 5'10" with short legs and arms and if I could make 55% of my 3pt attempts, they'd find a place for me.

I think James and Odomes just from a height/hops/straight line speed/fluid change of direction standpoint are much, much more athletic than dozens of recent and current good NBA players. But, neither are nearly good enough at basketball to play at the highest level.

I don't like trashing college kids at all, especially Sooners and I don't think that sort of criticism is really trashing them either.

All that said, yeah it was and will continue to be a pretty funny occurrence that random lady told a random customer that her entire town had such delusional hopes. He seems like a great kid and I'm proud of him as a fellow alumni etc etc etc. No ill feelings or "hate" at all.

Also, yeah, I do remember the "Buddy Hield wont make NBA" stuff too. To give an example of how I'm often wrong too, I thought Cousins would be the better NBA player until like 5ish or so games into their junior years.

Comment

#43

To be honest, I'm not even sure "NBA Athleticism" is much of a thing. There's VAST differences between like Russ and Crisp Haul(even when he was at his prime) and with basketball, being skilled is more important. I'm nearly 40, 5'10" with short legs and arms and if I could make 55% of my 3pt attempts, they'd find a place for me.

I think James and Odomes just from a height/hops/straight line speed/fluid change of direction standpoint are much, much more athletic than dozens of recent and current good NBA players. But, neither are nearly good enough at basketball to play at the highest level.

I don't like trashing college kids at all, especially Sooners and I don't think that sort of criticism is really trashing them either.

All that said, yeah it was and will continue to be a pretty funny occurrence that random lady told a random customer that her entire town had such delusional hopes. He seems like a great kid and I'm proud of him as a fellow alumni etc etc etc. No ill feelings or "hate" at all.

Also, yeah, I do remember the "Buddy Hield wont make NBA" stuff too. To give an example of how I'm often wrong too, I thought Cousins would be the better NBA player until like 5ish or so games into their junior years.
                                                                                      Trust me as a 6'1 white guy who can shoot they won't find a place for you. I played some small college ball but athletes win out every time. It might not make sense but that's the way it is.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        To an extent of course. I used a comically high shooting percentage for a reason. I will stand by my earlier contention and add that the NBA's got dozens of guards in it currently that would have had to walk on to play WR or DB at OU in the early 00s when I was at practice everyday.

I'm not trying to diminish work ethic or intelligence or anything else either as I know that all goes into it.

Maybe I should have just said something like "I think both James and Odomes are tall/fast/quick enough to survive at the highest level of basketball if they improve shooting/passing/handles enough to get a shot" perhaps "athleticism" means a little different things to different people.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by TulsaSooner View Post

Trust me as a 6'1 white guy who can shoot they won't find a place for you. I played some small college ball but athletes win out every time. It might not make sense but that's the way it is.
                                                                                          LOL. Tell us what your shooting percentage would be from behind the NBA arc?

Comment

#46
                                                                                            To an extent of course. I used a comically high shooting percentage for a reason. I will stand by my earlier contention and add that the NBA's got dozens of guards in it currently that would have had to walk on to play WR or DB at OU in the early 00s when I was at practice everyday.

I'm not trying to diminish work ethic or intelligence or anything else either as I know that all goes into it.

Maybe I should have just said something like "I think both James and Odomes are tall/fast/quick enough to survive at the highest level of basketball if they improve shooting/passing/handles enough to get a shot" perhaps "athleticism" means a little different things to different people.
                                                                                            Ok, I will actually tell you my issues with the "athleticism" of James and Odomes within the context of playing in the NBA. First, I absolutely agree with you relative to the main issue being their basketball skills.

But from an athletic deficiency here is what I saw during James and Odomes college career.

James did not have a quick first step and he got in trouble driving to the basket. Defenders could get back in front of him or weak side defenders could step in.. Now, this skill is always affected by how closely guys had to be guarded on the perimeter, if they have an opportunity to go around defenders closing out and that type of thing. However in the milieu of all that James couldn't beat defenders on the dribble well enough to play in the NBA.

Secondly, he was big and broad shouldered but was only mediocre at using his body to shield. He also was devoid of the ability to take off mid lane, elevate score the basketball which is sort of a combination vertical leap/long jump that a lot of NBA players have.

IMO James would be a charging machine/blocked shot/turnover machine in the NBA on offense. I suppose he could have devoloped a mid range game to help and possibly had a chance.......... provided his outside shot improved. .

Odomes is a lot easier to discuss. He would have to be about 6'9" to have such a limited game to play in the league. If he had more offensive skills (and for the life of me I don't know why he didn't) then maybe he could play. But at 6'6" and basically being a floor player he had no chance to get drafted because there are simply too many tall guys to take him away.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                            X
                                                                                            UA-124223861-1