First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OUrage View Post

The defense was better than every game prior to yesterday. Was it a major improvement? No. Only a dumbass would expect this defense to be totally revamped. But without a doubt the defense was better yesterday and the players know it. They have confidence in what Ruf is doing and you can see it. We will see steady improvement every week and if anyone thinks removing Mike was not a wise choice I really have nothing but a LOL.
    This is beautiful..Succinct and accurate...you should paste this in every post because some dudes just don't get it or just like to play contrarian...looking at you Troup...

Comment

Game grades for Sooners' win over TCU

In the Sooners’ first game back since their loss to Texas, then-No. 9 Oklahoma (6-1, 3-1 Big 12) defeated TCU (3-4, 1-3 Big 12) by a score of 52-27.

Here’s how the Sooners stacked up in week eight:

Offense: A

In another classic showing for one of the country’s best offenses, the Sooners seemed to effortlessly move the ball downfield while controlling the line of scrimmage and dominating both on the ground and through the air. Oklahoma racked up 536 yards of total offense and went three-for-three on fourth down, resembling a steamroller that refused to be stopped.

Redshirt junior quarterback Kyler Murray had another eye-popping performance, accounting for 264 total yards and four touchdowns. Supporting Murray was the strongest rushing performance by the Sooners all season, as both sophomore Trey Sermon and redshirt freshman Kennedy Brooks had more than 100 yards rushing each. Sermon used his unique size and strength to plow into the end zone for two touchdowns, while Brooks’ shifty and elusive style led to 168 rushing yards and potentially a hold on the starting job.

This week marked the first time all season where it didn’t feel like Murray had to carry the offense — a needed development and a positive sign for a team hoping to contend against the nation’s top defenses at season’s end.

Defense: B+

In Ruffin McNeil’s first game at the helm, the Oklahoma defense took major strides compared to weeks past. The unit allowed a season-low 275 yards of total offense to the Horned Frogs while also holding TCU to a combined 4-of-15 on third and fourth down.

The Sooners did a great job of preventing the Horned Frogs from establishing a rhythm, limiting their quarterbacks to a combined 40 percent completion and the team as a whole to just 3.7 yards per carry. Especially impressive was the unit's ability not to dwell on past mistakes, as the 21 points they gave up in the second quarter were followed by allowing just three points during the entire second half and a late-game interception by junior Parnell Motley.

Although not perfect, the defense showed marked improvement and a renewed energy that was lacking earlier in the season. If the unit can continue to improve, the defense may turn from a liability into an asset.

Special teams: C

The special teams unit allowed the first TCU score of the game, giving up a 99-yard kickoff return for a touchdown early in the first quarter. The Horned Frogs were able to consistently generate significant yardage on returns, averaging 47.2 yards on kick returns and returning one punt for 25 yards. Conversely, the Sooners did little in their own return game, averaging just 17.5 yards on kick returns and returning no punts.

Senior kicker Austin Seibert had another solid outing, making his lone field goal attempt as well as all seven of his PAT attempts. In addition, Seibert averaged 41.8 yards per punt and landed two punts inside of the 20.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-foo...7e0244cc7.html

Comment

Why were we not kicking the ball into the EZ? Was the wind that bad? Is Seibert ok?

We haven’t really had to defend many KR this year cuz of all the touchbacks. What was the deal against TCU?

In the future, when kicking off from the 20, we should kick it OOB inside the 35. It’s much better than the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post
          Why were we not kicking the ball into the EZ? Was the wind that bad? Is Seibert ok?

We haven’t really had to defend many KR this year cuz of all the touchbacks. What was the deal against TCU?

In the future, when kicking off from the 20, we should kick it OOB inside the 35. It’s much better than the alternative.
          A couple of them were kicked short intentionally (after the KO return TD). It's like Riley got stubborn and made them cover kicks when he knew Seibert could kick them into the EZ every time.

Comment

Originally posted by StoopTroup View Post

I hope we are able to keep Ruffin Poppin and LOLing. It’s hard to refute the players were happy. A loss might have done us in. The Offense bailed them out again. Not much has changed. Can that Defense beat Texas in the Big XII CG? That’s when you can dance and I promise you I will....

Of course they were happy, they just beat TCU in Dallas. Your absolutely right, a loss would have ended the season for me too. But we didn't lose, so why you so negative.Yes, if we didn't score we probably would have lost but to say nothing has changed is ridiculous. If you didn't see improvement defensively I really give up arguing with you.

Comment

Originally posted by zcaa0g View Post

I think the worst thing is their natural grass management. They could learn some things from OU.
              That field looked like they are having some serious issues with feral hogs in Ft. Worth.

Comment

Of course they were happy, they just beat TCU in Dallas. Your absolutely right, a loss would have ended the season for me too. But we didn't lose, so why you so negative.Yes, if we didn't score we probably would have lost but to say nothing has changed is ridiculous. If you didn't see improvement defensively I really give up arguing with you.
                I’m not negative. Being realistic. So we played a Team that didn’t light us up for 4 quarters with a inexperienced QB that was injured in the 2nd half and a HC that didn’t put the Starter back in.

Its a relief the bye week is over and that game was a W. Our Defense is still bad. 27 points. Lucky it wasn’t more.

Comment

I’m not negative. Being realistic. So we played a Team that didn’t light us up for 4 quarters with a inexperienced QB that was injured in the 2nd half and a HC that didn’t put the Starter back in.

Its a relief the bye week is over and that game was a W. Our Defense is still bad. 27 points. Lucky it wasn’t more.
                  OUr defense surrendered only 20 to TCU in Dallas. Is it still bad? Yes, but it is better. Your expectations are either to high or you just are.

Comment

How can anyone say that wasn’t an improvement?

We let a shitty texas offense move the ball at will. We held a shitty TCU offense to 20 points.

Thats Improvement.

Comment

I have a working hypothesis for a particular poster on this board/thread:

1. He is Mike Stoops
                      2. Exhibits odd/peculiar behavior prone to non nonsensical rants/posts.
                      3. Exhibits the behaviors that an alcoholic/drug abuser does. Non reliable. Not dependable other than being not dependable.
                      4. Sticks up entirely too much for one particular ex-coach.
                      5. Clearly spends entirely way to much time during the week here when an ordinary person would be at work (see game planning/preparing) leading to poor performance at the workplace.

I could go on and on but there are clear similarities. Are they the same guy? Is Finkle, Einhorn?

Comment

OUr defense surrendered only 20 to TCU in Dallas. Is it still bad? Yes, but it is better. Your expectations are either to high or you just are.
                        My expectation was to win. As far as the Defense is concerned, if my expectation is to high, you don’t see me in a Playoff thread drooling about OU’s chances of making the playoffs. If we win the Big XII with this defense, then McNeill can flop around on the floor, swing on a rope like Tarzan naked for all I care.

This weeks expectation is to beat K-State and show us you can hold them to 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post
                          Rodney Anderson down
                          Trey Sermon down

bet Abdul Adams feels silly for transferring.....
                          This. This. THIS.

These kids are getting turrible advice.

"Gee, looks like you're down the depth chart. I guess you better transfer, because no one has ever got injured playing football before."

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're so deep that the number 3 guy looks to be a stud in his own right, but I'd be lying if I didn't wish we had Abdul as a fallback option.

<sigh> I hope he enjoys getting garbage yards for a garbage program (Syracuse).

Comment

My expectation was to win. As far as the Defense is concerned, if my expectation is to high, you don’t see me in a Playoff thread drooling about OU’s chances of making the playoffs. If we win the Big XII with this defense, then McNeill can flop around on the floor, swing on a rope like Tarzan naked for all I care.

This weeks expectation is to beat K-State and show us you can hold them to 20.
                            So you admit the defense looks a little better so far under Ruf?

Comment

1053793697664503808">

https://twitter.com/JDonati_TCU/stat...93697664503808

What a bunch of dumbasses.

Comment

TCU making a quarterback change

Patterson also had one other significant piece of news on Monday. Shawn Robinson, the team’s starting quarterback, will undergo shoulder surgery and is out for the rest of the season. Robinson, a first-year starter, was first injured in the Sept. 22 loss to Texas but has continued to play while nursing the shoulder injury.

After going just 3-of-8 for 21 yards early against OU on Saturday, Patterson inserted backup Michael Collins into the lineup. Collins, a transfer from Penn, entered the game with TCU trailing 28-7. Two of his first four passing attempts went for touchdowns, including a 41-yard connection with Turpin.

The insertion of Collins helped TCU cut the score to 28-24 at halftime, but the Sooners adjusted and went on to win comfortably, 52-27.

Collins finished 7-of-17 for 142 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. He also led the Horned Frogs with 36 yards rushing on seven carries.

TCU dropped to 3-4 (1-3 Big 12) with the loss. Collins will get his first career start on the road Saturday against Kansas.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tcu-wr-kavo...164339993.html

Comment

Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post
                                  1053793697664503808">

https://twitter.com/JDonati_TCU/stat...93697664503808

What a bunch of dumbasses.
                                  ...still waiting on that cheeseburger.

Comment

So you admit the defense looks a little better so far under Ruf?
                                    There was one play I thought looked.....

Comment

Replay and heard Huard saying Murray and Bolton were the top tackling duo in CFB?

Comment

Dude our defense was only responsible for 20 of those points, and you could argue that at least one of the field goals we gave up was the result of poor special teams. This defense was much improved over what they showed against Texas, which up to the OU game had an offense about as bad as TCU and who we made them look like world beaters.

Texas only scored one offensive TD against K-State for cripes sakes.

it was a solid defensive performance.
                                        Last edited by soonerguru; 10-22-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerguru View Post

Dude our defense was only responsible for 20 of those points, and you could argue that at least one of the field goals we gave up was the result of poor special teams. This defense was much improved over what they showed against Texas, which up to the OU game had an offense about as bad as TCU and who we made them look like world beaters.

Texas only scored one offensive TD against K-State for cripes sakes.

it was a solid defensive performance.
                                          I’m happy for you.

A Win last week was just as acceptable as every win prior to Texas for me. We didn’t lose.

I will be ecstatic if we win out.

TCU had QB issues in the 2nd half. The defense fought hard to be able to shutout a wounded duck. If you don’t see it, you don’t see it.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Why? You just said it's annoying. Are you a person that says 'whoa...this tastes like shit. Here...try it.'
                                            maybe I should have said...its worth going to ONCE. Nice people, good smallish on campus stadium, close to home for me so handy place to see Sooners in person. So its a good place. HOWEVER, the PA guy is annoying enough for me that, while Im glad Ive been there, I dont want to go back an listen to him

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                            X
                                            UA-124223861-1