First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma Radio

This is separate from the sports radio thread. We can dump all of our other radio subject matter in here. I figure a lot of it will be nostalgia related since radio (terrestrial or otherwise) is not as popular (or maybe even as viable) as it was in the 20th century. Even the talk format has largely moved to the podcast model.

Does anyone remember around 1982 or '83 there being a DJ on the KATT that had a real soft, smooth voice? I just remember his voice being so different from the music that they played. For the life of me i can't remember his on air name. He was probably on there longer than just '82 or '83 but I definitely know he was on there then.

I recall visiting relatives in (I think) Kansas and being shocked that we could still pick up KOMA 1520AM on the radio in the evening!
    They used to have a huge tower in Moore when I grew up, and it would bleed into other stations.

Comment

You could get KOMA all over the state it seemed.

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post
        Does anyone remember around 1982 or '83 there being a DJ on the KATT that had a real soft, smooth voice? I just remember his voice being so different from the music that they played. For the life of me i can't remember his on air name. He was probably on there longer than just '82 or '83 but I definitely know he was on there then.
        SoonerPV

Comment

This is separate from the sports radio thread. We can dump all of our other radio subject matter in here. I figure a lot of it will be nostalgia related since radio (terrestrial or otherwise) is not as popular (or maybe even as viable) as it was in the 20th century. Even the talk format has largely moved to the podcast model.

Fred Hendrickson?

Greg Zubeck?

Cindy Skull?

I've always thought Brad Copeland has a smooth voice.
          Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

Fred Hendrickson?

Greg Zubeck?

Cindy Skull?

Warren Williams had a bit of 70's free form delivery left over in the early 80's at KATT, but I would say that Stinger_1066 is probably close with the late Fred Hendrickson...Fred was a true OKC broadcasting lifer...he got a major break when Danny Williams hired him in his late teens to work at long time number one WKY...from there he went to 96X and then the KATT...a gem of a guy.

Comment

Fred Hendrickson?

Greg Zubeck?

Cindy Skull?

Possibly Fred Hendrickson. I know it wasn't Zubeck.

Comment

I remember getting dragged to weekend church activities in several states. We went to Nebraska and this particular event brought in people from South Dakota, Kansas Colorado. It was 1972. They all listened to KOMA at night.

I used to be able to get it Tucson sometimes when I lived in Arizona.... but only in the car. I spent many nights trying to listen to Sooner Basketball in the car on KOMA. Sometimes it wouldn't come in clear where I' lived and I'd hit I 10 east until I got around the mountain and it would come in. I'd catch maybe the second half. Then drive back to town. This is when Wayman was there. Totally worth it.

Comment

I miss the days of each station having its own personality instead of being owned by one of three corporations that runs everything remotely.

Comment

One of my uncle’s favorite stations was KOMA. He lived in North Dakota.

Comment

Is KOMA's signal worse than it used to be? I know it's high on the band where propagation isn't as good, but I have trouble with it, and I'm only an hour and a half away.

I wish they still had OU football games, too. Don't know why they don't when they're still listed on the website as carrying football games. The closest stations to me are about 60 miles away so I can't always get them.

On another note, I still miss the Brew. Now there's a great FM signal. I could get it in Texas a decent amount of the time.

Comment

Lou Staples: Mysterious Death?

The JFK assassination “mysterious deaths” lists include people from virtually all occupations, so it’s not surprising that a radio talk show host is on the list.
                        His name is Lou Staples. He died while working at station KTOK in Oklahoma City.
                        According to Jim Marrs, whose book Crossfire contains the “cannonical” list of “mystery deaths,” Staples was a:
                        Dallas radio talk show host who told friends he would break [the] assassination case (p. 565).
                        This is the only explanation Marrs gives for claiming this death from a “gunshot to head, ruled suicide” is “a particularly su****ious one” (565, 558).
                        Another conspiracy theorist, Penn Jones, Jr., claims in his article, “Disappearing Witnesses”:
                        Lou Staples, a radio announcer who was doing a good many of his radio shows on the Kennedy assassination, lost his life sometime on Friday night, May 13, 1977. This was near Yukon, Oklahoma. He had been having radio shows on the assassination since 1973 and the response to his programs was overwhelming.Lou’s death was termed suicide, but the bullet ending his life entered behind his right temple and Lou was left-handed. He joined Gary Underhill, William Pitzer and Joe Cooper whose “suicides” were all done with the “wrong hand” shots to the head.
                        Lou had been stating that he wanted to purchase some property to build a home. He was lured out to a wheat field and his life ended there. I have been to the spot where Lou died. (The Rebel, November 22, 1983)
                        Jones, apparently, would have his readers assume that Staples was eliminated because he was going to “break [the] assassination case” (Marrs 565). Presumably, he had gained sufficient information while a Dallas radio talk show host interviewing witnesses for his radio programs. Oddly, the conspirators didn’t bother him while he was in Dallas. But somehow his move to a much smaller market in Oklahoma, far from the witnesses and the evidence, was threatening to them, and they then decided to “knock him off.”
                        According to Jones, Staples was “lured” out into field to discuss what he thought was going to be a real estate transaction.
                        Was Staples eliminated or did he commit suicide for reasons unrelated to the Kennedy assassination?
                        Lou Staples was indeed found dead in a farm field around noon on May 14, 1977 (“Lou Staples Found Dead,” The Oklahoman, May 15, 1977 pg. 1A). There was a gunshot wound in the “right temporal area” of his head (Certificate of Death). The “Report of Investigation” by the Medical Examiner notes that there was a “large amount of blood” coming from his left ear. It was estimated that the time of death was 2:00 a.m. on the 14th. Near the scene of the apparent suicide was Staples’ car, which had both the ignition and lights on. The .38 caliber revolver which inflicted the head wound was found near Staples’ body.
                        2:00 a.m. is a rather odd time to be discussing a real estate transaction. And most people who are going to discuss a real estate transaction would turn off their car’s ignition and lights.
                        According to the Oklahoma City Medical Examiner’s office, Staples’ probable cause of death was from a “self inflicted wound from a .38 Colt revolver” (Medical Examiner’s Report). Both Staples death certificate and amended death certificate list the cause of death as a suicide.
                        The police told the Daily Oklahoman that Staples was reported to be “depressed after an argument with his girlfriend early Friday morning” (“Lou Staples Found Dead,” The Oklahoman, May 15, 1977 pg. 1A). Upon searching Staples’ home, investigators found a apparent suicide note that stated, “I am bored, bye y’all.” The note was signed by Staples and found near an empty gun holster (“Staple Cites Boredom in Apparent Suicide Note,” The Oklahoman, May 16, 1977 pg. 90).
                        The medical examiner noted that at the time of death, Staples had a blood alcohol level of .07. Alcohol is a depressant and people who drink are twice as likely to commit suicide as those who are not drinking (Rivara, Frederick. “Alcohol and Illicit Drug Abuse and The Risk of Violent Death in the Home.” Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 278. Issue 7. 1997 Aug 20: 569-75). Al Eschbach, Staples’ co-host the night he disappeared, commented when Staples did not show up for work, that, “Oh, he’s probably just out drunk at the bar. He’s probably hung over” (“Eschbach Talks Loud Game,” The Oklahoman, Sept. 12, 1999).
                        Staples’ love life was not going well and neither was his career. He had left a much better job at KRLD, a CBS network affiliate and one of the top stations in Dallas. At KRLD, Staples had a well known radio show on the JFK assassination. In Oklahoma City, Staples hosted KTOK’s less known “Let’s Talk” show. Compared to Dallas, Oklahoma City is a much smaller market.
                        But what of Penn Jones’ claim that Staples’ death could not be a suicide because he was shot on the right side of his head, but he was left-handed? In the first place, Jones is so unreliable a source that the claim should not be taken very seriously. How did Jones know this? As with all his assassination writing, it’s entirely unsourced and unfootnoted. One researcher actually bothered to check out a “left-handed” claim about another supposedly “mysterious” death: that of Lieutenant Commander William B. Pitzer. Allan Eaglesham reported that:
                        In 1995, Lieutenant Colonel Dan Marvin was told by Joyce Pitzer, the widow, that her husband was not, in fact, left-handed. I have confirmed this in conversation with two other members of the Pitzer family. (Post to alt.assassination.jfk dated 3/6/04)
                        But even if he was left-handed, Staples was shot with a revolver and one could conceive of someone shooting himself in the head with a revolver on the “wrong” side. Also, quite often, left-handed people are not left-handed when it comes to certain activities. This means that often times, left-handed people play sports or fire weapons using their right hand.
                        There is zero evidence that Staples had any information that would “break the case.” It may be that Staples bragged to friends, claiming that he would break the JFK case, but could he have actually done so? There are hundreds of JFK researchers and hobbyists who hope to break the case. Have all of them been eliminated?
                        Was Staples murdered? When one looks at the evidence, without speculation, it is clear that this was a suicide. The Oklahoma medical examiner concluded that Staples committed suicide, Staples was under the influence of alcohol, and an apparent suicide note was found. Would conspiracy theorists ask us to believe that the medical examiner was in on the assassination cover-up or that those who killed Staples were “good enough” to fake a suicide, yet shot Staples on the “wrong” side?
                        According to Penn Jones, Staples “joined Gary Underhill, William Pitzer and Joe Cooper whose ‘suicides’ were all done with the ‘wrong hand’ shots to the head.” In reality, he appears to have joined Dorothy Kilgallen who claimed she was going to “break open” the case, but never did so.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoLab View Post
                          Is KOMA's signal worse than it used to be? I know it's high on the band where propagation isn't as good, but I have trouble with it, and I'm only an hour and a half away.

I wish they still had OU football games, too. Don't know why they don't when they're still listed on the website as carrying football games. The closest stations to me are about 60 miles away so I can't always get them.

On another note, I still miss the Brew. Now there's a great FM signal. I could get it in Texas a decent amount of the time.
                          Ruprecht is referring to KOMA-AM, which doesn't exist any longer. It is now KOKC. It was, and still is, a 50K watt clear channel station on AM 1520. There is another 50K watt clear channel station on 1520 in Buffalo NY, so they both have to broadcast directionally at night, so they don't interfere with each other. That is why people all over the midwest and southwest are able to tune them in at night.

KOMA-FM is a 100K watt station. I think 57 miles is the protected radius around the transmitter. Beyond that, reception will be spotty. If you live an hour and a half away, then you are probably outside that range.

The transmitter is located in NE OKC in the section bordered by Kelley, Eastern, Britton and Wilshire.
                          Live Free or Die!

Comment

Stinger_1066 Yes, I was referring to 1520. I should have just stuck with the numbers.

But it's very weak at night for some reason, which is odd for a clear channel station. But then so is 1080 from Dallas.

Comment

Stinger_1066 Yes, I was referring to 1520. I should have just stuck with the numbers.

But it's very weak at night for some reason, which is odd for a clear channel station. But then so is 1080 from Dallas.
                              Yes, that is odd.
                              Live Free or Die!

Comment

The transmitter is located in NE OKC in the section bordered by Kelley, Eastern, Britton and Wilshire.
                                This is way OT, but does anyone know why it's spelled Kelley in some places but Kelly in others?

Comment

KOKC 1520 and KRLD 1080 are both Class A (Clear Channel) Directionals. Clear Channel AM stations are 50KW blow torches that are "protected" at night. This is accomplished by Class B and D stations either changing their coverage pattern or decreasing their power. Some are daytime authorized only. Stations like WBAP or WLS in Chicago are single pattern Class A. They have they same pattern 24/7 and benefit by skywave ionsphere skip at night in all directions resulting in massive regional coverage. KOKC/KRLD/1170 in Tulsa are multi-pattern Class A. Multi's adjust their pattern at night to protect a twin station on the same signal. This is done usually through a 3 tower array. KOKC's twin is in Buffalo, NY. That is why the northern plains and the entire western US​ were/are exposed to KOMA but people in Cincinnati are not.

In it's Top 40 heyday KOKC/KOMA had millions of listeners and fans outside of OKC but could not take down WKY locally. Both stations had great programming, but WKY had the stronger signal at 5KW at night and covered the central and western parts of Oklahoma with a stronger signal.

KOKC's tower array was destroyed in the '15 tornado. The station has been operating at a reduced 10KW single pattern since. That has improved their local night signal quite a bit. That will change soon due to a new FCC construction permit issued this year to allow a full rebuild and a boost back to 50KW with near the same day and night patterns as before.
                                  Last edited by SoonerPV; 10-05-2022, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerPV View Post
                                    KOKC's tower array was destroyed in the '15 tornado. The station has been operating at a reduced 10KW single pattern since. That has improved their local night signal quite a bit. That will change soon due to a new FCC construction permit issued this year to allow a full rebuild and a boost back to 50KW with near the same day and night patterns as before.
                                    Aha, that explains it. Thanks, PV.

Now they need to get OU football back on there!

Comment

KOKC 1520 and KRLD 1080 are both Class A (Clear Channel) Directionals. Clear Channel AM stations are 50KW blow torches that are "protected" at night. This is accomplished by Class B and D stations either changing their coverage pattern or decreasing their power. Some are daytime authorized only. Stations like WBAP or WLS in Chicago are single pattern Class A. They have they same pattern 24/7 and benefit by skywave ionsphere skip at night in all directions resulting in massive regional coverage. KOKC/KRLD/1170 in Tulsa are multi-pattern Class A. Multi's adjust their pattern at night to protect a twin station on the same signal. This is done usually through a 3 tower array. KOKC's twin is in Buffalo, NY. That is why the northern plains and the entire western US​ were/are exposed to KOMA but people in Cincinnati are not.

In it's Top 40 heyday KOKC/KOMA had millions of listeners and fans outside of OKC but could not take down WKY locally. Both stations had great programming, but WKY had the stronger signal at 5KW at night and covered the central and western parts of Oklahoma with a stronger signal.

When I was in high school in 1977 I took electronics shop 3.

We had to memorize the schematic of a 5-tube super heterodyne receiver, then draw it from memory. Then we could get started building it.

I was the first one to successfully memorize it, and the first one to get one built.

Then I had to tune the two intermediate transformers by feel. KOMA was the first station I was able to get tuned in, then I just kept on tweaking until I found more. I ended up being able to tune in something like 20 stations.

It would have been a lot easier if he would have allowed me to use a pair of oscilloscopes for the tuning.
                                      Live Free or Die!

Comment

When I was in high school in 1977 I took electronics shop 3.

We had to memorize the schematic of a 5-tube super heterodyne receiver, then draw it from memory. Then we could get started building it.

I was the first one to successfully memorize it, and the first one to get one built.

Then I had to tune the two intermediate transformers by feel. KOMA was the first station I was able to get tuned in, then I just kept on tweaking until I found more. I ended up being able to tune in something like 20 stations.

It would have been a lot easier if he would have allowed me to use a pair of oscilloscopes for the tuning.
                                        You would have blown through the test I had to take for my Third Class Operator License...it covered three elements...basic broadcast and media law...regulatory matter pertaining to the entire channel spectrum...and operations that included basic electronics (voltage, current, resistance and such), sine waves, frequency, phase, modulation, operating power, ground wave/skywave, antennas, meters, formulas, equations, and ratios. It was mandatory to have that license to crack a microphone back then. Later on, the deregulation bunch scrapped that requirement for on-air only staff.

Chief Broadcast Engineers were all First Class License holders. Having went through that study and test really helped me to communicate with the Chiefs I worked with through the years in sweetening the sound chain, pushing modulation to the brink of a rule break to maximize loudness to get the station to jump through the speakers when it was tuned in, and in studio design and equipment choice. I wish I had studied electronics more in depth...my path didn't afford the time.​

Comment

I remember my grandfather telling me about being able to receive KVOO from Tulsa way outside of Oklahoma when he was in the navy during WWII. It allowed him to feel a little bit like he still had his connection to his hometown of Cushing. Years later, my dad worked there.

Comment

Didn't want to quote the whole thing about Lou Staples in post #12...

But wanted to point out that he was Al Eshback's partner on the first sports radio show in Oklahoma. KTOK 1000. The started it in 1976. It was only an hour or two. Later Ed Sosson took over for Staples and it was a two hour show. Pulled in huge ratings because that is all we had. And on TV there was no sports related programing. ESPN hadn't started up.

Al and Ed were all we had.

Scary thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                                              Didn't want to quote the whole thing about Lou Staples in post #12...

But wanted to point out that he was Al Eshback's partner on the first sports radio show in Oklahoma. KTOK 1000. The started it in 1976. It was only an hour or two. Later Ed Sosson took over for Staples and it was a two hour show. Pulled in huge ratings because that is all we had. And on TV there was no sports related programing. ESPN hadn't started up.

Al and Ed were all we had.

Scary thought.
                                              Never understood how Eschbach ever got on radio in the first place. His voice is like nails on the chalk board, he has this annoying habit of talking at a normal level, then shouting all of the sudden, then almost whispering. I've always found it a painful to listen to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Schooner View Post

Never understood how Eschbach ever got on radio in the first place. His voice is like nails on the chalk board, he has this annoying habit of talking at a normal level, then shouting all of the sudden, then almost whispering. I've always found it a painful to listen to him.
                                                His face was made for radio more than TV. He's been around forever, so he has some great stories of the old days, but in general he just wears me out so I don't listen.

Comment

Does anyone else besides me remember when Jeanne Triplehorn was a DJ at KMOD in the late seventies / early eighties?
                                                  Live Free or Die!

Comment

Does anyone else besides me remember when Jeanne Triplehorn was a DJ at KMOD in the late seventies / early eighties?
                                                    Yes. Yes I do. aka Jeanie Summers

Comment

Pretty sure you're thinking of Gordon Sims...

Comment

Radio-locator.com is a great site for showing the directional patterns day/night AM/FM whatever you need. It has it all.

Comment

The Mingo Valley Girl!

KMOD was fun back then. They had a Cobra attack helicopter doing traffic, someone was mining the Arkansas River, and the sports guy was a bookie, “Barry, you’re breaking my heart.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fostercluck View Post

Was that his on air name?

Comment

Originally posted by Fostercluck View Post

..."my children"...

"Baby...if you ever wondered..."

Comment

..."my children"...

"Baby...if you ever wondered..."
                                                                Wow I missed that one. Went right over my head.

Comment

KXXY and The KATT were my teenage years...AOR and Prog Rock...WLS out of Chicago on Sunday night - Dr Demento. AM radio is pretty amazing...especially when it is cloudy.

Comment

Yes I do!

Comment

Originally posted by Bubblehead View Post
                                                                      KXXY and The KATT were my teenage years...AOR and Prog Rock...WLS out of Chicago on Sunday night - Dr Demento. AM radio is pretty amazing...especially when it is cloudy.

I grew up in small town Oklahoma until I was about 12. I remember being little and my dad tuning in some station from OKC on the radio for me to go to sleep to. When the DJs would talk in between the music, I'd lay there and imagine the big city of OKC. It might as well have been New York City to my young mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Schooner View Post

You used to also be able to hear him gobble down food on air.

Al I think legitimately knew about recruiting (particularly as it pertained to OU) back in the day. He was an insider in that regard. But I dont think he knows anything more than your garden variety message board moron any more. He has been coasting for over 20 years.
                                                                        Last edited by BirtDurglar; 10-18-2022, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post

You used to also be able to hear him gobble down food on air.

Al I think legitimately knew about recruiting (particularly as it pertained to OU) back in the day. He was an insider in that regard. But I dont think he knows anything more than your garden variety message board moron any more. He has been coasting for over 20 years.
                                                                          I think it was timing also. Talked someone into letting him have a talk show years before sports radio burst on the scene. It just happened to be at the height of Barry Switzers reign and the natives ate it up

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post

I think it was timing also. Talked someone into letting him have a talk show years before sports radio burst on the scene. It just happened to be at the height of Barry Switzers reign and the natives ate it up
                                                                            Al was big buddies with all the coaches back then. He got inside scoops that nobody else got. The Switzer staff liked Al (and Tubbs) That was one reason he hated Schnellenberger. Schnellenberger took one look at Al and turned his nose up at him. Pissed Al off big time. He then defended Blake to the nth degree because Blake liked him from being there before. He then got in with Mike Stoops but Al had kind of decided not to work so hard after a while.

I will say that Al is a little bit more toned down in real life than he is on the radio. Still kind of goofy and crazy but he seems more like a normal person.

Comment

#39
                                                                              ChpThril please merge with sports talk radio thread, thank you.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Wat?

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Mixer! View Post
                                                                                  ChpThril please merge with sports talk radio thread, thank you.
                                                                                  Might as well.

As stated in my OP, this was supposed to be different than the sports radio thread but it has evolved into another sports radio thread.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by MJSooner View Post
                                                                                    Wat?

He said in a reply to his tweet he was looking for an afternoon gig, not leaving The Animal.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Thought I might add some things to this thread in the OP's theme of the thread...there isn't a lot of YouTube Oklahoma City/Tulsa aircheck content..but there is some...maybe I'll put my nephew to work digitizing the boxes of audio content I have from OKC/Tulsa and throw it up on YT someday.

Here is a KATT aircheck...not a lot of continuity but a fun listen..two cool things for me...one person on this roll I gave their broadcast start and a mention of a national show I used to produce...fun!

Comment

#44
                                                                                        KAYI...K107...Andy Barber

Long time number one Top 40 station in T-Town...they fended off Z104.5 and numerous other contenders through the years...every now and then they would sneak up on K95...I always enjoyed listening to them when I rolled into Tulsa periodically to do work with another station...Andy Barber was a very good Zoo style morning guy...inside stuff...cool JAMS jingles, a still standard classic EV microphone, and carts (single element tape cartridges that looked like 8-Tracks...this snip is via California Airchecks...they were an audio and video aircheck service that you could subscribe to back in the day...I subscribed to the audio starting in Middle School...those tapes were a master's degree in programming and music scheduling theory.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          KJYO...KJ103...Mark Shannon & Stacy Barton

The Breakfast Flakes from the late 80's...battled for number one in OKC with KXY's Dave & Dan...Mark, Stacy, and Robbie Robertson (KFOR Sports) were a solid team that pulled top ratings including abnormally high adult numbers (25-49 year olds) for a CHR (Top 40) station.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            KJ103 was my introduction to Uncle Murph and Lester Horatio "Boogie Man" Michaels in the late 70's. Good times.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              KAYI...K107...Andy Barber

Long time number one Top 40 station in T-Town...they fended off Z104.5 and numerous other contenders through the years...every now and then they would sneak up on K95...I always enjoyed listening to them when I rolled into Tulsa periodically to do work with another station...Andy Barber was a very good Zoo style morning guy...inside stuff...cool JAMS jingles, a still standard classic EV microphone, and carts (single element tape cartridges that looked like 8-Tracks...this snip is via California Airchecks...they were an audio and video aircheck service that you could subscribe to back in the day...I subscribed to the audio starting in Middle School...those tapes were a master's degree in programming and music scheduling theory.

I think he only recently retired....Andy Barber that is.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Thought I might add some things to this thread in the OP's theme of the thread...there isn't a lot of YouTube Oklahoma City/Tulsa aircheck content..but there is some...maybe I'll put my nephew to work digitizing the boxes of audio content I have from OKC/Tulsa and throw it up on YT someday.

Here is a KATT aircheck...not a lot of continuity but a fun listen..two cool things for me...one person on this roll I gave their broadcast start and a mention of a national show I used to produce...fun!

I can't believe the Rick and Brad show is still on.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by MJSooner View Post

I think he only recently retired....Andy Barber that is.
                                                                                                  Yep...he has been in the biz over 50 years...the video I posted of Barber included Kim Kendrick who at the time was doing morning news/traffic/sidekick/promotions at K107...before landing there she was in a lady DJ's layout in Playboy...didn't know her but ran on to her at a couple of events...seemed like a cool enough chick...very hot...she tragically drowned after driving down a flooded roadway.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Mixer! View Post
                                                                                                    KJ103 was my introduction to Uncle Murph and Lester Horatio "Boogie Man" Michaels in the late 70's. Good times.
                                                                                                    Pat Murphy was a very cool guy and on air personality...Boogie Michaels dominated nights in OKC in the late 70's and very early 80's...when KOFM flipped to Top 40 they fended off KZUE/ZOO103 and dethroned WKY as AM was beginning to fade as a music platform...Murphy and Michaels's PD at that time later became one of my early mentors...I am sitting here in my office looking at a mosaic art piece I had made with radio logo/bumper stickers/backstage passes and it includes a KOFM Car Star sticker from that era.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1