Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

at the heart of gold: inside the usa gymnastics scandal (2019)

holy shit.

Comment

Not really a movie but watched an old documentary I had heard about on Joe Rogan's podcast called Bigger, Faster, Stronger. About steroids but also about the obsession for greatness in America. Very good.

Comment

Originally posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
        Not really a movie but watched an old documentary I had heard about on Joe Rogan's podcast called Bigger, Faster, Stronger. About steroids but also about the obsession for greatness in America. Very good.
        I have been listening to Joe Rogan a lot lately. Any podcasts you can recommend that are must hear.

Comment

Originally posted by SportyJames View Post

I have been listening to Joe Rogan a lot lately. Any podcasts you can recommend that are must hear.
          Oh man...I'm addicted to Joe's podcasts now. Kind of a newbie myself but here are some of my favorites (keep in mind he has several interviews with the same quests).

Probably my favorite is with Teddy Atlas (one of MIke Tyson's first trainers before he became famous). I'm a big boxing fan but more so Atlas is a very principle-centered guy. And you can really see it come through and listening to him talk about his father was really cool. This one was just like two guys sitting at a bar or on the porch talking. Really good in my opinion.

I mostly like the health related ones and here are some of those (really opened my eyes to the issues with processed foods and sugar in American diet in general and my diet specifically....been working out almost daily for about 7 weeks and have stopped almost completely eating processed foods and sugars as a result of listening to the podcasts): Dr. Rhonda Patrick; Gary Taubes; Mark Gordon (Doctor) and Andrew Marr (form special ops guy);

Jordan Peterson has been on there 3 times...love anything with him in it.

Dr. Phil was actually pretty good.

I love Mike Tyson so I enjoyed his.

Michael Wood (Ex-Baltimore policeman/whistleblower). Haven't listened to the whole first one (there are 3) but liked what I listened to. You have to be willing to take the bad with the good, however (which I think is Joe's strength).

If you want to get pumped about overcoming difficulties in life his interviews with David Goggins (former seal) are awesome (and David Goggins himself has done a ton of interviews for his book that are awesome if you like him).

Jocko Willink (former seal)

Sebastian Jung was a very good one. He wrote a book called "Tribe". He was an imbedded journalist in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Which ones you recommend?

Comment

Oh man...I'm addicted to Joe's podcasts now. Kind of a newbie myself but here are some of my favorites (keep in mind he has several interviews with the same quests).

Probably my favorite is with Teddy Atlas (one of MIke Tyson's first trainers before he became famous). I'm a big boxing fan but more so Atlas is a very principle-centered guy. And you can really see it come through and listening to him talk about his father was really cool. This one was just like two guys sitting at a bar or on the porch talking. Really good in my opinion.

I mostly like the health related ones and here are some of those (really opened my eyes to the issues with processed foods and sugar in American diet in general and my diet specifically....been working out almost daily for about 7 weeks and have stopped almost completely eating processed foods and sugars as a result of listening to the podcasts): Dr. Rhonda Patrick; Gary Taubes; Mark Gordon (Doctor) and Andrew Marr (form special ops guy);

Jordan Peterson has been on there 3 times...love anything with him in it.

Dr. Phil was actually pretty good.

I love Mike Tyson so I enjoyed his.

Michael Wood (Ex-Baltimore policeman/whistleblower). Haven't listened to the whole first one (there are 3) but liked what I listened to. You have to be willing to take the bad with the good, however (which I think is Joe's strength).

If you want to get pumped about overcoming difficulties in life his interviews with David Goggins (former seal) are awesome (and David Goggins himself has done a ton of interviews for his book that are awesome if you like him).

Jocko Willink (former seal)

Sebastian Jung was a very good one. He wrote a book called "Tribe". He was an imbedded journalist in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Which ones you recommend?
            Elon Musk, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Danica Patrick, Ron Miscaivage (sp) and Leah Remini. Scientology on the last two

Comment

Elon Musk, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Danica Patrick, Ron Miscaivage (sp) and Leah Remini. Scientology on the last two
              I started the Miscaivage one yesterday but became somewhat disinterested. The only downside to Joe's podcasts is they might have a central subject they discuss but then discuss great things that are unexpected that you might miss if you don't listen to the whole thing. 3 hours is a long time.

Comment

I started the Miscaivage one yesterday but became somewhat disinterested. The only downside to Joe's podcasts is they might have a central subject they discuss but then discuss great things that are unexpected that you might miss if you don't listen to the whole thing. 3 hours is a long time.
                I listen to and from work.

Takes me a week to get thru one.

Comment

This is about the next movie I will see.

I have seen three movies in my life that I absolutely hated and they make me feel physically ill when I think or hear about them. Not didn’t care for them, not indifferent about them, not wouldn’t watch again...hate with burning passion. Those are The Lake House, The Notebook, and John Wick 2 (granted I did not see the first JW).

Understand that hubby’s love language is gifts and activities that we can do together as a family. He told me a couple of days ago that he purchased advance tickets for us and the kids to see a movie tonight...it is now painfully obvious what that film is. So I guess I’m gonna see John Wick 3. I can’t express how much I do NOT want to go. At all. Period. All I’m thinking of is how much I hated the previous installment, not the least concerning is when the dude was impaled by something super sharp in an orifice that never should be impaled by anything, sharp or otherwise.

Dreading it. This is akin to my forcing him to attend a reimagined production of Jesus Christ Superstar or maybe joining my imperial European history nonfiction book club. But maybe I will have a fourth movie to add to my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Mommy View Post
                    This is about the next movie I will see.

I have seen three movies in my life that I absolutely hated and they make me feel physically ill when I think or hear about them. Not didn’t care for them, not indifferent about them, not wouldn’t watch again...hate with burning passion. Those are The Lake House, The Notebook, and John Wick 2 (granted I did not see the first JW).

Understand that hubby’s love language is gifts and activities that we can do together as a family. He told me a couple of days ago that he purchased advance tickets for us and the kids to see a movie tonight...it is now painfully obvious what that film is. So I guess I’m gonna see John Wick 3. I can’t express how much I do NOT want to go. At all. Period. All I’m thinking of is how much I hated the previous installment, not the least concerning is when the dude was impaled by something super sharp in an orifice that never should be impaled by anything, sharp or otherwise.

Dreading it. This is akin to my forcing him to attend a reimagined production of Jesus Christ Superstar or maybe joining my imperial European history nonfiction book club. But maybe I will have a fourth movie to add to my list.
                    So did we gain a new disciple? Or do you hate JWIII even more now?

Comment

John Wick III.

Not enough fighting. Recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Sam View Post

So did we gain a new disciple? Or do you hate JWIII even more now?
                        Narrowly escaped. Attended son's basketball games, and OF COURSE had to choose between the movie and the gym. And, well, I already missed a day two weeks ago, so I couldn't skip the gym.

Comment

jean renoir's la chienne (the bitch) from 1931

sort of like dreiser's 'sister carrie,' where a selfish woman out for wealth destroys a good man who falls for her. wiki says there's a wild back story with this one that parallels the plot and leads to the death of the actress and death threats against renoir. wow.

​​​​​​

Comment

Saw Godzilla: King of the Monsters last night. It was fucking epic. I felt like a twelve year old with a big stupid smile on my face for several whole scenes. There’s a TON of monsters fighting. It isn’t The Godfather, but it is everything I want in a summer blockbuster. Would recommend on the biggest screen you can find.

Comment

Mary Queen of Scots

decent period/history film - however they crammed a period of nearly 20 years into what seemed like a few months

Comment

Rocketman

fantastic music if you're a part of my generation and even liked just a smidgen of Sir Elton's music......what an incredible talent he is and was

Comment

Originally posted by Just JK View Post
                                  Rocketman

fantastic music if you're a part of my generation and even liked just a smidgen of Sir Elton's music......what an incredible talent he is and was
                                  Thinking about seeing it this weekend

Comment

Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind...

The funniest & saddest documentary I've ever seen...

Comment

Rocketman Very Good Went with my wife who told me when it was safe to look

Comment

wildlife (2018)

shot in montana and oklahoma.

really good and sad family drama, directed by paul dano and co-starring jake gyllenhaal

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Man View Post
                                          Rocketman Very Good Went with my wife who told me when it was safe to look
                                          Addendum: Went to Quail Springs 24 to see this because it was in Dolby Cinema. Great picture and seats, but this theatre is now a total shit show. They have closed the back concession stand and only had 2/3rd of the front one manned. If you have a monthly subscription you can go through the quick line. All others are looking at a 20 minute wait. If I go back, I am bringing in everything from the outside.

Comment

I just watched For Your Eyes Only (1981) for the first time. I'm not a huge Bond fan, obviously, but I thought why not?

It was a fun movie. Roger Moore didn't take the role too seriously, which I appreciate. It was enjoyable to see 007 get out of impossible situations time after time...but that's standard fare for Bond flicks.

Comment

Caught some of The Professionals last night. Lee Marvin was such a cool mofo.

Comment

The 2 he did with Sturgill Simpson are pretty good

Comment

Went to see Toy Story 4 at the Admiral Twin tonight. No spoilers, a fun movie that serves the franchise well. I would imagine this to be the last of the Toy Story movies, but with the mega $ to be made, never say never.

The theme of loyalty to an owner and to each other is explored once again, and the phenomenon of being "lost" as well. In fact, a surprisingly positive spin is done with this aspect. For me, the funniest part was a free-for-all chase scene involving an antique store cat (the cat preys on toys if they're not careful). Ventriloquist dummies always have a shady vibe to them, and this stereotype is enforced strongly in TS4.

Some of the supporting toy characters that we have come to enjoy over the yrs are relegated to very minor roles, imo. But a few new toy-friends are brought into the latest TS adventure, and an older one makes a reappearance, now sporting a can-do attitude. The toy serving in the villain role in this film offers a fresh perspective on the darker side of the TS Universe, a truly sympathetic one it turns out.

There are several touching moments in TS4. Genuinely sad? Perhaps. But not tragic. It was more fun than anything. You can be assured that Woody and friends remain happy with their lot in life in this surreal world that only exists when we aren't watching.

9/10, will watch again.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Man View Post

Addendum: Went to Quail Springs 24 to see this because it was in Dolby Cinema. Great picture and seats, but this theatre is now a total shit show. They have closed the back concession stand and only had 2/3rd of the front one manned. If you have a monthly subscription you can go through the quick line. All others are looking at a 20 minute wait. If I go back, I am bringing in everything from the outside.
                                                    I go to Quail AMC to watch movies at least twice a month and I've never had a problem there in the past 12 years. Then again I don't expect much from a place ran by teenagers. The back concession stand has been open a grand total of 3 times out of the hundreds of times I've been there yet I've never waited more than 5 minutes in a concession line and it's usually less than 2 minutes. I enjoy Quail much more than Penn Square. Watching a movie at Penn has devolved into trying to hear dialogue over the texting and talking of assholes that can afford not to go to Tinseltown and get stabbed walking to their cars but can't afford a babysitter to watch their screaming children or the gas to make it up to Quail. End rant about Penn Square. I have about zero positive things to say about Penn Square as a whole.Took me 15 minutes just to get out of their parking lot the last two times I've gone recently.

Comment

Watched Secret Life of Pets 2 with the kiddos last weekend. I didn't fall asleep so I guess that's a thumbs up from me for a kids movie.

Comment

Saw Aladdin today. Fun movie! Will Smith was great.

Comment

Went to the Winchester to watch Toy Story 4 and Aladdin

Aladin was better than expected but the pace was off. Seemed to spend a lot of time on minor events and little time on major events. And the new song they added was just a weird scene...had to add in some woman power to the movie.

I was pretty disappointed in Toy Story 4. Pretty forgettable and not rewatchable. If you have seen one you have seen all of them.
                                                          I may be the only person that hated the ending.

Not Safe For Work
                                                          Totally out of character for Woody and just seems to be going along with how society is leaning towards an all about me mentality. Woody from the previous movie would never have made the decision to put love over his owner. Maybe not having his voicebox messed him up lol

Comment

Us
                                                            2nd Jordan Peele movie.

Good premise, but too long to get the point across. Good twist at the end.

" I got 5 on it "

Comment

Watched “Yesterday” this weekend. Really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by OUwasp View Post
                                                                Went to see Toy Story 4 at the Admiral Twin tonight. No spoilers, a fun movie that serves the franchise well. I would imagine this to be the last of the Toy Story movies, but with the mega $ to be made, never say never.

The theme of loyalty to an owner and to each other is explored once again, and the phenomenon of being "lost" as well. In fact, a surprisingly positive spin is done with this aspect. For me, the funniest part was a free-for-all chase scene involving an antique store cat (the cat preys on toys if they're not careful). Ventriloquist dummies always have a shady vibe to them, and this stereotype is enforced strongly in TS4.

Some of the supporting toy characters that we have come to enjoy over the yrs are relegated to very minor roles, imo. But a few new toy-friends are brought into the latest TS adventure, and an older one makes a reappearance, now sporting a can-do attitude. The toy serving in the villain role in this film offers a fresh perspective on the darker side of the TS Universe, a truly sympathetic one it turns out.

There are several touching moments in TS4. Genuinely sad? Perhaps. But not tragic. It was more fun than anything. You can be assured that Woody and friends remain happy with their lot in life in this surreal world that only exists when we aren't watching.

9/10, will watch again.
                                                                The wifey and I took two of the grandkids to this one. The 4 year old was pretty creeped out by the dummies, had to hide her eyes a couple of scenes.

I wasn't too thrilled about this one from reading the premise (a spork? really?) but as usual with this franchise, was pleasantly surprised. Buzz was underused but I was glad to see Annie Potts character, Bo, be the focus. The ending left me choked up but it was the right decision by the writers to do it that way.

Tom Hanks has said it was the last of the Toy Story movies so maybe this one is over, at least with the cast of characters we know.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacie View Post

The wifey and I took two of the grandkids to this one. The 4 year old was pretty creeped out by the dummies, had to hide her eyes a couple of scenes.

I wasn't too thrilled about this one from reading the premise (a spork? really?) but as usual with this franchise, was pleasantly surprised. Buzz was underused but I was glad to see Annie Potts character, Bo, be the focus. The ending left me choked up but it was the right decision by the writers to do it that way.

Tom Hanks has said it was the last of the Toy Story movies so maybe this one is over, at least with the cast of characters we know.
                                                                  It was a terrible way to end it.

The ending of Toy Story 3 was more emotional than TS4 IMO

Comment

John Wick III.

Not enough fighting. Recommend.
                                                                    Saw it a few nights ago - how do the actors ever remember all those lines?

Comment

White Boy Rick... Thought it was very good, I knew almost nothing about the story, so the ending was a big bummer...

Toy Story 4... It was fine, the dummies were terrifying.. Key & Peele were funny...

Comment

Money Heist Part 3 trailer looks awesome! Netflix this coming Friday, July 19.

Comment

A little behind (2014 movie) but it's on Amazon. "Chef". Fantastic movie. Jon Favareau, Dustin Hoffman, Oliver Platt, Scarlett Johanson.

One of those movies you didn't hear much about and don't expect much from and just turns out to be an entertaining movie.

Comment

Finally had house to myself last night and some quiet time. Watched Dunkirk. Really enjoyed it.

Comment

A Star is Born--mediocre. Really good sound track and acting but old and predictable story line
                                                                              Hateful 8--i really enjoyed it
                                                                              12 Strong--Not very good and I have a feeling they took a lot of liberties with this film

Comment

You gotta check out High Life (2018), 8/10, super slow burn sci-fi flick with some wicked psycho-sexual drama and some really cool SPOILERentering a black hole sequences. Could've done without all the male on female brutality...

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
                                                                                  A Star is Born--mediocre. Really good sound track and acting but old and predictable story line
                                                                                  Hateful 8--i really enjoyed it
                                                                                  12 Strong--Not very good and I have a feeling they took a lot of liberties with this film
                                                                                  A Star is Born is about as close to real life as you can get, especially now. 12 strong was pretty disappointing.

Comment

stan & ollie 2018

steve coogan and john c reilly are brilliant.

Comment

A Star is Born--mediocre... old and predictable story line.
                                                                                      for "new" or "unpredictable," you may want to choose a film that hasn't been remade three times over an 80-year span.

Comment

anyone seen into the ashes

Comment

Originally posted by blackfrancois View Post

for "new" or "unpredictable," you may want to choose a film that hasn't been remade three times over an 80-year span.
                                                                                          well i haven't seen the first two that were made.
                                                                                          But that wasn't what I meant by old and predictable.
                                                                                          The plot has been used many many times and was very predictable and not that great

Comment

Finally saw Jurassic WOrld Fallen Kingdom. Really dumb but good action. Kids loved it.

Comment

well i haven't seen the first two that were made.
                                                                                              three. this was the fourth film.

and again, maybe you should try a film that hasn't been remade three times.

not that great
                                                                                              and yet, a 7.7 on imdb.

i can just see you calling a remake of hamlet, "old and predictable."
                                                                                              ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by blackfrancois View Post

three. this was the fourth film.

and again, maybe you should try a film that hasn't been remade three times.

and yet, a 7.7 on imdb.

i can just see you calling a remake of hamlet, "old and predictable."
                                                                                                ​​​​​
                                                                                                i would understand your point if I had seen the first three.
                                                                                                But I haven't.
                                                                                                So it was predictable to me b/c the story line has been used numerous times over the years...not b/c it was a remake.

Again, it was good acting and good music. But I didn't find it great. atleast not worth all of the buzz it got.

Comment

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

This is a love letter to movies of the 1960s, Hollywood in the 1960s, and the feel good spirit of the 1960s in general. It will be a nostalgic trip down memory lane for some. The best part? It's not CGI. There are multiple shots that take their time simply to show all the classic cars and massive sets built to make you feel like you're in 1969 Los Angeles.

The film is set right before the Manson murders took place so there's a shift in tone towards the end of the second act into the third. It's a contrast of that love letter feeling of the 1960s mentioned to the dirty, grungy, evil that was Charles Manson, the ranch he stayed on, and his followers. That being said it doesn't lose any of its charm. You're probably asking how a movie involving some of the most horrifying murders recorded could be charming. The film is as historically accurate as Inglorious Bastards and I'll leave it at that.

The cast is fantastic. Leonardo DiCaprio does a great job playing an alcoholic, chainsmoking actor past his prime trying to jumpstart his career. Brad Pitt plays his stunt double buddy who is just a go with the flow type of person and takes what life gives him. There are also some great cameos that were played well such as Steve McQueen, Mama Cass, and several more.

The movie definitely feels like a Tarantino film with the non-linear storytelling with the use of flashbacks, the the comical over the top violence, and long scenes of dialogue. An example is there's a scene with Leonardo DiCaprio that goes on for ten minutes of him on a movie set acting his part and it's all to set up him messing up a line.

I highly suggest this film, especially if you're older and lived during the time it was set. It's a different kind of movie you don't normally get and it's a romanticized telling of a time what many consider the end of the golden age of Hollywood.

And yes there are plenty of feet.

Comment

Saw Stuber yesterday....save your money. The movie couldn't decide if it was a comedy, a crime drama, a buddy flick? I thought it was an interesting premise, walked out wishing I hadn't wasted my money.

On the other hand, just saw a movie on I'm not sure what Dish network. Virus (1999). I could tell it was going to be a dumb movie from the get-go, but it had Donald Sutherland and Jamie Lee Curtis in it, so I gave it a few minutes. By that time I was interested in seeing how it turned out. Kind of an Aliens/Toy Soldiers on the high seas. It was fun and slightly unpredictable. William Baldwin and a younger Cliff Curtis were also featured. I liked it much better than Stuber, and I had never heard of it until I was surfing after finishing Wells Fargo (1937) on some other Dish network. I learned this flick was part of the "Universal Vault Dump", which piqued my interest...it turned out to be the typical idealistic western, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

a lego brickumentary

a doc about the toy company.

great.

should be shown in every strategic management/marketing class.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1