First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bennigan's

Maybe old news but Bennigan's relaunched their restaurant chain this year, mostly in the Midwest, one location in Texas and a bunch of international locations. Zero in Oklahoma.

But which was better Bennigan's or Garfield's?

Bonus - who remembers Crispy's in Brookhaven in Norman?

Bennigan's better than Garfield's by far.

Are they still affiliated with Steak & Ale?

Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post
      Maybe old news but Bennigan's relaunched their restaurant chain this year, mostly in the Midwest, one location in Texas and a bunch of international locations. Zero in Oklahoma.

Bennigans Monte Cristo sandwich was a heart attack waiting to happen

Comment

Found it odd that Monahans, TX has a Bennigan's. Out in the middle of freaking nowhere

Comment

Best fried cheese sticks ever!

Comment

They're all crap. TGIF, Applebee's, Bennigans, Houlihans, Chilis, Carlos O'Kelley's, On the Border, BJs, Outback, Longhorn, Texas Roadhouse, whoever. You eat at those places when you're on the road and there's nothing besides them and a McDonald's or Arby's or Subway to choose from. Sometimes you can even get a decent meal and some good drinks, but overall? Crap. Trust me, I know, I've spent 10s of thousands of dollars in these places.

Comment

I was a kid when we had Garfields in Sooner Fashion mall but I do remember having a burger and you could color on the table.

Had Bennigans in Dallas 2002ish and thought the Monte Cristo looked good. Had to make 3 pit stops on way home to empty my internals.

I will prob continue to just find mom and pop shops to dine instead of these.

Comment

Garfields was famous for being started by Vince Orza. But I worked with a guy in high school at Heritage House Smorgasbord in Tulsa who was also one of the founders.

I was a "carver" on the line. I carved the beef and ham. He was a cook. He was one year behind me in school. We used to go out after work and drink beers, plus hang out together on the weekends.

I left Tulsa for OU in fall of 1978. We didn't keep up much after that. He went to culinary arts school at Tulsa Vo-Tech, but somehow ended up in Stillwater and hooked up with Vince.

From what I understand, he planned the menu and took care of the day-to-day restaurant operations. Vince was the business / financial brain behind it all.

After Garfields folded, my friend connected with that Vietnamese family that founded Jimmy's Egg, and he helped them with their expansion. For all I know, he's still with them.

I ran into him about 10 years ago in the bathroom at the OKC airport. He acted like he didn't remember me, which is weird, because we hung out a lot.
                Live Free or Die!

Comment

I always got Bennigan's and Harrigan's mixed up. Garfield's in Edmond was pretty cool because it was in the old movie theater/hospital building in Edmond.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                    I always got Bennigan's and Harrigan's mixed up. Garfield's in Edmond was pretty cool because it was in the old movie theater/hospital building in Edmond.
                    Harrigan's was my go-to place for Sunday champagne brunch back in the day when you could get a bottomless glass for $1. Pearl's on 63rd street did the same.
                    Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post

Bennigans Monte Cristo sandwich was a heart attack waiting to happen
                      That sandwich was the shit. I don’t even think you could call it a sandwich though.

Comment

Harrigans had an open faced mushroom burger that I really liked.

Was Garfields in Edmond where Othellos is now?

Comment

Nothing beat Charlie Mitchell’s. Good food and plenty of it.

Comment

Same. I cant remember which one my family always went to as a kid. But I know we almost always went for brunch so maybe it was Harrigan's.

Comment

I remember Crispy's. B&W interior, and that neon blue sign. I remember the food was pretty lackluster.

People talk about Pinnochio's across that intersection of 36th & Robinson but I never had a chance to eat there.

Comment

I got an "old Norman restaurant" question for you guys: Back when I was a kid, we mowed yards and did so two days out of the week in Norman. Mid to late 80's, there was a hamburger place on Lindsey, I seem to remember it being just east of the Sooner Legends inn & suites location. This place had 50 cent burgers, they were small but they weren't bad (any burger's gonna taste good when taking a break from mowing, TBH)

Does anyone else remember this place? Wasn't around long but I can't remember the name. And I want to say it was in an old, revamped Taco Bell building.

Comment

We always went to Troughigans for their huge buffet and later to Turdfields, which had the biggest restrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Morningwood View Post

I remember Crispy's. B&W interior, and that neon blue sign. I remember the food was pretty lackluster.

People talk about Pinnochio's across that intersection of 36th & Robinson but I never had a chance to eat there.
                                    I always loved Crispy's. Then again I waa a child so my pallette may have been more or less retarded at the time.

I also liked Garfield's.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

After Garfields folded, my friend connected with that Vietnamese family that founded Jimmy's Egg, and he helped them with their expansion. For all I know, he's still with them.
                                      Met "Jimmy" on a flight home about 20+ years ago. He had about half a dozen kids and they were coming back from a youth tennis tournament in Orlando. Nice guy. Nice family.

I wish he'd get some units on this side of DFW. They used to have one or two in North Dallas, but not anymore. I have to make my own "Texas Mess" at home.

Comment

Originally posted by SiggyPoke View Post
                                        Nothing beat Charlie Mitchell’s. Good food and plenty of it.
                                        My parents has Roughnecks season tickets back when he was a player / coach. They knew Charle on a first name basis.

Does he still live in the area?
                                        Live Free or Die!

Comment

My parents has Roughnecks season tickets back when he was a player / coach. They knew Charle on a first name basis.

I think so, although his latest attempt at another eatery that was located at 51st and Yale went belly up.

Comment

Originally posted by SiggyPoke View Post

I think so, although his latest attempt at another eatery that was located at 51st and Yale went belly up.
                                            51st and Yale - there used to be a Steak & Ale there on the southwest corner that was my dad's favorite place to eat.
                                            Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Mobman View Post

Same. I cant remember which one my family always went to as a kid. But I know we almost always went for brunch so maybe it was Harrigan's.
                                              I actually was asked to meet some people at Harrigan's and I drove to Bennigan's. It took me a bit to realize what I had done.

Comment

Crispy’s was a cool joint. Their little bar was a nice quiet place to unwind. I was surprised, then, when Champions opened in the same space, and you couldn’t hear yourself think in there.

Champions was a great concept, but they managed to screw up the acoustics so bad you could neither carry on a conversation nor listen to the commentary while watching a game. They’d turn the volume up to drown out the din, and the television sound would echo over and over itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bootleggers Boy View Post

Crispy’s was a cool joint. Their little bar was a nice quiet place to unwind. I was surprised, then, when Champions opened in the same space, and you couldn’t hear yourself think in there.

Champions was a great concept, but they managed to screw up the acoustics so bad you could neither carry on a conversation nor listen to the commentary while watching a game. They’d turn the volume up to drown out the din, and the television sound would echo over and over itself.
                                                  I dont remember Champions. I wasnt around Norman for certain stretches so I guess I missed it.
                                                  Last edited by BirtDurglar; 05-18-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I actually was asked to meet some people at Harrigan's and I drove to Bennigan's. It took me a bit to realize what I had done.
                                                    You went to the wrong igan's.

Comment

Garfields was famous for being started by Vince Orza. But I worked with a guy in high school at Heritage House Smorgasbord in Tulsa who was also one of the founders.

I was a "carver" on the line. I carved the beef and ham. He was a cook. He was one year behind me in school. We used to go out after work and drink beers, plus hang out together on the weekends.

I left Tulsa for OU in fall of 1978. We didn't keep up much after that. He went to culinary arts school at Tulsa Vo-Tech, but somehow ended up in Stillwater and hooked up with Vince.

From what I understand, he planned the menu and took care of the day-to-day restaurant operations. Vince was the business / financial brain behind it all.

I ran into him about 10 years ago in the bathroom at the OKC airport. He acted like he didn't remember me, which is weird, because we hung out a lot.
                                                      I would act like I don't remember you too. Really, any sane person would.

Ps. Just kidding.

Comment

Bennigans had a Death by Chocolate dessert. We used to drive from Norman to the west side of okc just to get it.

Comment

Crispy's was fantastic--mostly b/c of location and atmosphere. Pub W is there now.

Bennigan's was great for late night drinking and food that wasn't Taco Bell. Garfield's probably had better food but being in malls limited it's appeal.

Comment

Harrigan's was my go-to place for Sunday champagne brunch back in the day when you could get a bottomless glass for $1. Pearl's on 63rd street did the same.
                                                            I worked at the one on 240 in the 90s.

It shouldn't be compared to Garfields or Bennis. Steaks, prime rib, cheese rolls and prime rib soup--it was actually pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by oucub23 View Post

I worked at the one on 240 in the 90s.

It shouldn't be compared to Garfields or Bennis. Steaks, prime rib, cheese rolls and prime rib soup--it was actually pretty good.
                                                              I do seem to remember Harrigans being a good step up in food quality from Bennigan's. I havent been in eother in so long though.

Comment

Obligatory:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxbT-KXjy...VbqtbglonbZtHb

Comment

I used to love the monte cristo at Bennigans. Really the only thing I remember about the place.

I used to like Cripy's a lot (I was trying to remember the name of it not too long ago). Back then there weren't that many good restaurants in town.

Comment

What was that restaurant off of S Meridian down by I 40...Apple something? I wanna say Applebee's but I know that's not right. They had apple fritters.

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post
                                                                      What was that restaurant off of S Meridian down by I 40...Apple something? I wanna say Applebee's but I know that's not right. They had apple fritters.
                                                                      Applewoods. My grandmother's favorite place for some reason. She always wanted to go there but never really liked what she got to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by oucub23 View Post

Applewoods. My grandmother's favorite place for some reason. She always wanted to go there but never really liked what she got to eat.
                                                                        Ha. So true. Why are grandparents like that?

Comment

I dont remember Champions. I wasnt around Norman for certain stretches so I guess I missed it.
                                                                          Champions was part owned by David Little who was a Billy Baller in Tubbs' early years.

Comment

Champions was part owned by David Little who was a Billy Baller in Tubbs' early years.
                                                                            David’s one of the good guys, to be sure. His wife, Amy, was friends with mine in those days.

Champs served killer margaritas and their chicken nachos were out of this world.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Sitting at a Coltons steakhouse in Memphis (Marion, AR) right now. So far, horrible service but I haven’t eaten yet. Right across the street is a legit Mexican joint called Mi Pueblo. I usually eat there, but am trying to drop some tonnage. Here for a filet, veggies and salad. We’ll see how it goes, but this is just another of the shit box restaurants I’m thinking. Never tried one before.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Used to love Bennigans growing up. Wish they still existed around here.

Comment

#41

That sucks. We all know how you love recognition in public rest rooms.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Slytherin View Post
                                                                                    Sitting at a Coltons steakhouse in Memphis (Marion, AR) right now. So far, horrible service but I haven’t eaten yet. Right across the street is a legit Mexican joint called Mi Pueblo. I usually eat there, but am trying to drop some tonnage. Here for a filet, veggies and salad. We’ll see how it goes, but this is just another of the shit box restaurants I’m thinking. Never tried one before.
                                                                                    One of my stepsons lives in Pittsburg KS. There is a Coltons there. The first few times we ate there I thought it was pretty good, but the last few times it really sucked. Poor service. Food delivered cold.
                                                                                    Live Free or Die!

Comment

#43

The original Charlie Mitchell's was shut down due to drug trafficking. He resurfaced as the women's soccer coach at NSU. My daughter's club team played against his NSU team and whipped them. He was calling his players bitches and lazy fucks. Had never heard any coach treating young ladies that way. Crossed NSU off my daughter's potential list immediately. NSU parted way with him after 9 years. He then reopened Charlie Mitchell's restuarant with investors at 48th and Yale. The food and atmosphere is nothing like the original.

Had Dr. Orza for a couple of classes at UCO. Great professor. He grew Garfield's into Eateries, Inc which is traded on NASDAQ. As with any chain, as it grows, quality and controls suffer. Eateries ended up focusing on acquitions of other small restuarant chains and ventured in Italian (Pepperoni Grill) and Mexican (Garcia's) restuarants among others.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        I worked at a Bennigan's back in the day, good times.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                        X
                                                                                        UA-124223861-1