First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida Crib

Closed on our house in Navarre April 22. Finally took the wife out there last week. She never even saw it before we bought it, and I had only spent less than 5 minutes looking at it myself. Our realtor had showed us enough houses that she knew what we were looking for so we put in our offer sight unseen. Freaked me out a little, but it's all good.

We're doing some interior work (taking down popcorn ceilings and painting) before we move furniture in, and spent a few days thinning out some flora and fauna in the yards. Having a crew come out to remove some palm trees and other trees to thin it out a bit next week. Thank God there's no shortage of Mexicans (and whatever other hispanic folks live out that way) who are happy to work.

Anyhow, a few pics of the work inside.

Back yard from golf course, and golf course from back yard.

Comment

Some flora and fauna in the yard. Big ol' jasmine vine, magnolia trees, and all the flowers keep it smelling real nice.

Comment

Congrats. Looks like it has a pool. Have fun!

Comment

You gonna live that screen. Skeeters out there bigger than some cesnas.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
            You gonna live that screen. Skeeters out there bigger than some cesnas.
            Nope. Not where we're at. We were asking some of the neighbors about it, and a guy who's lived there for 35 years goes "so, how many bugs have you seen while you were out there working?" I go "none." He goes "exactly. We're in a no-evacuation zone, a no flood zone, a no HOA zone, and a no bug zone." I laughed. He goes "no really."

We worked for 5 straight days outside in the edge of the woods where we saw a black bear, an armadillo, and about a hundred different birds and neither of us got a single bug bite. Never even swatted a fly or anything. Some ants were crawling in the leaves, and there were a couple dead palmetto beetles in the garage. In Oklahoma in that environment? At least some ticks and chiggers for sure. Shorts, no shirt, tennies clearing limbs and brush and plants and not a single bite. We were working in the edge of the woods there in the back yard. Never even saw a snake, but there are a ton of them around. Cottonmouth country I'm told.

They call them screen things "lanais" whatever the fuck that means. The best thing about them is that in 5 days we never had to skim the pool or empty the skimmers. No leaves/grass/bugs/nothing. We got home this morning and our pool skimmers were chock full of june bugs. I mean hundreds of them. A couple frogs, a baby rabbit, and a couple of gopher babies too.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

Nope. Not where we're at. We were asking some of the neighbors about it, and a guy who's lived there for 35 years goes "so, how many bugs have you seen while you were out there working?" I go "none." He goes "exactly. We're in a no-evacuation zone, a no flood zone, a no HOA zone, and a no bug zone." I laughed. He goes "no really."

We worked for 5 straight days outside in the edge of the woods where we saw a black bear, an armadillo, and about a hundred different birds and neither of us got a single bug bite. Never even swatted a fly or anything. Some ants were crawling in the leaves, and there were a couple dead palmetto beetles in the garage. In Oklahoma in that environment? At least some ticks and chiggers for sure. Shorts, no shirt, tennies clearing limbs and brush and plants and not a single bite. We were working in the edge of the woods there in the back yard. Never even saw a snake, but there are a ton of them around. Cottonmouth country I'm told.

They call them screen things "lanais" whatever the fuck that means. The best thing about them is that in 5 days we never had to skim the pool or empty the skimmers. No leaves/grass/bugs/nothing. We got home this morning and our pool skimmers were chock full of june bugs. I mean hundreds of them. A couple frogs, a baby rabbit, and a couple of gopher babies too.

Good deal. I'm from Titusville and all the pools have those for mainly insects but the leaves and pine needles too. Very nice. That cover over your pool the bubble stuff? Looks like packing bubbles? If so, it heats the pool about 10 degrees from sun.

Comment

The surrounding properties value just tanked.

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana Norman View Post
                  The surrounding properties value just tanked.
                  Only if you come visit.

Comment

Did you get any explanation as to why there are no bugs?

I too am inundated with June bugs right now. I uncovered my pool last Saturday and now I spend every morning fishing out hundreds of June bugs.
                    Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

Did you get any explanation as to why there are no bugs?

I too am inundated with June bugs right now. I uncovered my pool last Saturday and now I spend every morning fishing out hundreds of June bugs.
                      No explanation on the bugs. I saw a couple of gnat looking things on a couple of flowers. There’s also a big pond right across from us and they all claimed no skeeters or no seeums. They did say to watch for snakes if we go fishing.

By far the best thing is no HOA. We looked far and wide and it was hard to find a nice place that didn’t have one. I can plant/pull/remodel/offer short term rentals/park a boat/whatever without problems.

Comment

No explanation on the bugs. I saw a couple of gnat looking things on a couple of flowers. There’s also a big pond right across from us and they all claimed no skeeters or no seeums. They did say to watch for snakes if we go fishing.

By far the best thing is no HOA. We looked far and wide and it was hard to find a nice place that didn’t have one. I can plant/pull/remodel/offer short term rentals/park a boat/whatever without problems.
                        I think the authorities nuke most of Florida several times a year with ungodly amounts of insecticide.
                        Live Free or Die!

Comment

Place is legit. Congrats

Comment

Welcome to the Redneck Riviera. I wouldnt live anywhere else. Go check out 30A n Seaside one day when ur down. Awesome spot. But Navarre is also a hidden gem. Congrats.

Comment

Nice looking place, enjoy!

Comment

Congrats, Sly. Nothing like the gulf area, IMO.

Good looking place.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ern View Post
                                  Welcome to the Redneck Riviera. I wouldnt live anywhere else. Go check out 30A n Seaside one day when ur down. Awesome spot. But Navarre is also a hidden gem. Congrats.
                                  Concur, little ern.

Navarre is a great place.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

I think the authorities nuke most of Florida several times a year with ungodly amounts of insecticide.
                                    Don't think so around there. I asked a couple neighbors about pest control (I've never sprayed a drop of anything on the Slytherosa, but we do have termite traps in the yard) and most say they don't use it. One neighbor says he sprays the entrance to his garage a couple times a year for the palmetto bugs. EVERYBODY does use lawn service (chemicals) though. That tropical climate makes the weeds grow like a mofo. One neighbor next door is a United Airlines pilot who is from Ohio, and he said "I just can't get this damn grass figured out. It's not like the grass at home."

My yard is St. Augustine with a little bermuda mixed in. The other next door neighbor has Zoysia grass that he planted. It looks like really thick bermuda grass to me. The ground there has to be above 85 degrees for the grasses to really green up. It was 84 when we left.

Comment

Don't think so around there. I asked a couple neighbors about pest control (I've never sprayed a drop of anything on the Slytherosa, but we do have termite traps in the yard) and most say they don't use it. One neighbor says he sprays the entrance to his garage a couple times a year for the palmetto bugs. EVERYBODY does use lawn service (chemicals) though. That tropical climate makes the weeds grow like a mofo. One neighbor next door is a United Airlines pilot who is from Ohio, and he said "I just can't get this damn grass figured out. It's not like the grass at home."

My yard is St. Augustine with a little bermuda mixed in. The other next door neighbor has Zoysia grass that he planted. It looks like really thick bermuda grass to me. The ground there has to be above 85 degrees for the grasses to really green up. It was 84 when we left.
                                      I had Zoysia grass in Dallas. It was a lot like Bermuda. It may do a little better in the shade.

Comment

A couple more. One from the Navarre Beach pier. It's maybe 8-10 minutes from the crib. You could look straight down and see the bottom clear as day. Saw sea turtles, remoras, a small shark, and a bunch of schools of something or others.

Lizard on the lanai.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post

I had Zoysia grass in Dallas. It was a lot like Bermuda. It may do a little better in the shade.
                                          Yep. Needs 3-4 sun instead of 6-8.

Comment

We have family in Navarre and love that area. We spend a lot of time down there. The beaches are beautiful and not very crowded compared to destin or Pensacola.

Damn. There goes the neighborhood. Sly has to ruin everything.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post
                                              We have family in Navarre and love that area. We spend a lot of time down there. The beaches are beautiful and not very crowded compared to destin or Pensacola.

Damn. There goes the neighborhood. Sly has to ruin everything.
                                              So when you gonna come visit hanky? We got a dog run on the side of the house for the wife and kids.

Comment

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We came home via Baton Rouge to pick up a truck and in Livonia, LA, between Baton Rouge and Opelousas is a little roadside outdoor eatery called the Crawfish Hole I've stopped at a few times. We actually went by it, then turned around when I remembered it was good and got some lunch. I had a blackened crawfish and shrimp salad with Cajun dressing, and the wife got a crawfish po boy. Both were OUTSTANDING. If you're ever down that way, do stop by. You won't be sorry.

That's basil on the bar. They swear it keeps the flies and skeeters away. Didn't see any, so I guess it works?

Comment

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We came home via Baton Rouge to pick up a truck and in Livonia, LA, between Baton Rouge and Opelousas is a little roadside outdoor eatery called the Crawfish Hole I've stopped at a few times. We actually went by it, then turned around when I remembered it was good and got some lunch. I had a blackened crawfish and shrimp salad with Cajun dressing, and the wife got a crawfish po boy. Both were OUTSTANDING. If you're ever down that way, do stop by. You won't be sorry.

That's basil on the bar. They swear it keeps the flies and skeeters away. Didn't see any, so I guess it works?

I’d weigh 400 lbs if I lived in LA.

Comment

Florida usually does aerial spraying for mosquitoes, and I think it’s often done at night.

Comment

Originally posted by bushmaster06 View Post
                                                      Florida usually does aerial spraying for mosquitoes, and I think it’s often done at night.
                                                      Maybe. Don't know and haven't heard that's what they do in Navarre. There weren't really any annoying bugs though. No ticks, chiggers (the worst of all the biting bugs) or flies. We're not around any swamps or lowland or anything. I'll ask the locals, but I doubt that's the deal there. If it is? Oh well.

Comment

I’d weigh 400 lbs if I lived in LA.
                                                        So you'd be a bit slimmer on the coonass diet?

Comment

So when you gonna come visit hanky? We got a dog run on the side of the house for the wife and kids.
                                                          We’ll be in the area in July.

Comment

Maybe. Don't know and haven't heard that's what they do in Navarre. There weren't really any annoying bugs though. No ticks, chiggers (the worst of all the biting bugs) or flies. We're not around any swamps or lowland or anything. I'll ask the locals, but I doubt that's the deal there. If it is? Oh well.
                                                            I hate chiggers.

Comment

I hate chiggers.
                                                              Worst bug ever.

Comment

We’ll be in the area in July.
                                                                If you’re cooking then I’ll keep the light on for you.

Comment

I've eaten there an ungodly amount of times. Place is legit.

Comment

called the Crawfish Hole
                                                                    Why was my first thought that this was a bordello or brothel or some other word that starts with a B and means the same thing?

You guys gave ruined my thought process.

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post

Why was my first thought that this was a bordello or brothel or some other word that starts with a B and means the same thing?

You guys gave ruined my thought process.
                                                                      Um, it was drugs that ruined your thought process, not “you guys.”

Comment

Um, it was drugs that ruined your thought process, not “you guys.”
                                                                        Oh, sorry. I meant to say yous guys.

Comment

I just left SeaWorld in Orlando after 7 hours there today. 92 degrees and heat index of 102. Is it like this year round?

Comment

Got fogging trucks.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Congratulations! Are you moving full time out there?

The whole SoCal family is now in Florida (West Palm, Fort Myers & Lake Placid) except me (SPI area).

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

The whole SoCal family is now in Florida (West Palm, Fort Myers & Lake Placid) except me (SPI area).
                                                                                Florida is the only place I’d consider moving but I love the Sierra’s too much and never dealing with bugs

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post

Florida is the only place I’d consider moving but I love the Sierra’s too much and never dealing with bugs
                                                                                  I can hit the blue ridge or smokies fairly easy, but the 10k foot peaks of my youth will be missed.

also, no bugs where I’m at. And the beaches are phenomenal. Surfing sucks most of the time, but the snorkeling and diving and fishing and warm water and lack of L-tards and homeless more than makes up for it.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

Not sure yet on moving. Maybe eventually. Realtor took pics yesterday of the Slytherosa, plans on listing at $1.6 mil. It’s been paid for for several years, and I gave about $300k for it. I have close to another million in paid for equipment to sell too. Financially it would be smart to sell, but the wife and grandkids are bumming about it. We’ll see.

Comment

#43

Not sure yet on moving. Maybe eventually. Realtor took pics yesterday of the Slytherosa, plans on listing at $1.6 mil. It’s been paid for for several years, and I gave about $300k for it. I have close to another million in paid for equipment to sell too. Financially it would be smart to sell, but the wife and grandkids are bumming about it. We’ll see.
                                                                                      For $1.6M you can upgrade the wife and grandkids

Comment

#44

For $1.6M you can upgrade the wife and grandkids
                                                                                        Grandkids? Probably. Wife? NFW. The Chinese overlords already bid way more than that.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Need you a good Bay Boat, Sly. About. 26ftZ of some sort and then have all the skis, floats, pull behinds and etc to go along with it. Ride the bay in the eve with a cocktail and hit some on bay restaurants, fish, crab or just drink… and on weekends play with the kids.

Biloxi Bay is similar and there’s nothing like it. I been the “SXS” on the river, sandbars and all that. Need you a good bay boat and enjoy.

That should be your next big “play” purchase… they ain’t cheap, but a man of yer means should be no prob. Absolutely worth it to cruise the ICW, much less getting out front.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post

Neh, need more folks to stay on west coast and holler how good it is.

You’re doing a fine job. Bugs here are relentless in the SE…

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Nice house! You sure you don't haul more than just cars and trucks lol.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by LakelandSooner View Post
                                                                                                Nice house! You sure you don't haul more than just cars and trucks lol.
                                                                                                I'm sorry, say what?

SPOILER DM me Sly...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                X
                                                                                                UA-124223861-1