Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle Thread

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Motorcycle Thread

    There's a car/truck thread, rifle thread, handgun thread, etc... Why not a motorcycle thread? There's gotta be at least a few people on here that ride. My modest collection.

    2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC, my main ride


    1998 Honda Shadow Ace



    2022 Honda Trail 125. Just picked this up a couple of weeks ago. I learned to ride on my uncle's trail 90 back in the 70s, when I saw Honda was making them again, I had to get one.



    In the barn I have a 1980 Suzuki GS550L I bought as a basket case back in 2009. Got it put together, running and put about 10k miles on it. It developed a pretty significant oil leak so I decided I'm going to do a full restoration on it. If I can ever find the time, it is currently about half disassembled, amazingly you can still find most of the parts new old stock.


    #2
    Never been a motorcycle owner, but can see the draw.

    The 125 looks fun as heck to ride.

    Comment


      #3
      Currently in the garage:
      2005 HD Road King Custom.
      1979 Yamaha 750 Special (my 1st bike).
      Just bought a 4 wheeler for my grandkids.

      Comment


        #4
        My dad rode Nortons. He rode all over Europe after the end of WWII.
        Live Free or Die!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Antidean View Post
          Currently in the garage:
          2005 HD Road King Custom.
          1979 Yamaha 750 Special (my 1st bike).
          Just bought a 4 wheeler for my grandkids.
          Is that Yamaha a midnight special? Those may not have come out until the 80s though, I wanted one of those so bad.

          My first bike was a 1975 Yamaha XS500. Total piece of crap, electric starter didn't work most of the time, was next to impossible to kick start when it was cold. I had to bump start it so many times. Wish I still had it though. Also wish I was still skinny like that...

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
            My dad rode Nortons. He rode all over Europe after the end of WWII.
            I like the Nortons. I have a client that has a Norton Commando in a crate (original, not one of the newer ones), he got it from some guy that went to prison (or something like that), he's physically unable to ride anymore. I sure would like to get that from him...

            Comment


              #7
              My retirement bucket list involves a doing a lot of traveling on a bike, states and Europe. Looking at a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT or similar sport touring bike.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
                My dad rode Nortons. He rode all over Europe after the end of WWII.
                Snortin' Nortons. Heh.

                My pop rode an early 40s Indian Chief from Kenosha, WI, to Colby, KS with my mom's brother on another one. Of course she wasn't my mom then, or his wife.

                I've had motorcycles my entire life up until about 7-8 years ago. Started on home made mini bikes in the 60s, and bought a Bultaco Persang in the early 70s with paper route money. We raced east of Tucson on a TT track. Everyone else was running Triumphs and BSAs, and I could smoke them in the corners but they'd waste me on the long straights and sweepers. Bought my next bike, a brand new 1972 Suzuki TM 400 in 1973 with money from working at a pizza joint and selling dope. Faster and scarier than fuck. It got stolen in 1974 right before I joined the Army.

                I've had Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, a BMW R100S I bought right after I got out of the Army, and several Harleys. My favorite was my 1993 Electra Glide that I turned into an Ultra and spent thousands on paint and chrome on. The very first SF.com tailgate was my 93', my custom trailer (which carried a card table, 4 lawn chairs, and a Dick Butkus newspaper grill.) This was maybe 1994 or 95? They grew exponentially since that first one. There's probably pictures of it somewhere on the innerwebs, but I don't have any unless they're in a box in the attic. It was all painted up with OU stuff. The schooner was busting out of the top of the trailer with ghost ponies and skeletal riders. It had the "Big 12 graveyard" painted with tombstones of all the other teams. It was the year we joined the conference.

                Now? No fucking way. I pick up motorcycles from time to time and ride them, but with all the morons with their cell phones in their faces? It's just a matter of time, and you'll be a grease spot. It doesn't matter how good a rider you are either.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

                  Snortin' Nortons. Heh.

                  My pop rode an early 40s Indian Chief from Kenosha, WI, to Colby, KS with my mom's brother on another one. Of course she wasn't my mom then, or his wife.

                  I've had motorcycles my entire life up until about 7-8 years ago. Started on home made mini bikes in the 60s, and bought a Bultaco Persang in the early 70s with paper route money. We raced east of Tucson on a TT track. Everyone else was running Triumphs and BSAs, and I could smoke them in the corners but they'd waste me on the long straights and sweepers. Bought my next bike, a brand new 1972 Suzuki TM 400 in 1973 with money from working at a pizza joint and selling dope. Faster and scarier than fuck. It got stolen in 1974 right before I joined the Army.

                  I've had Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, a BMW R100S I bought right after I got out of the Army, and several Harleys. My favorite was my 1993 Electra Glide that I turned into an Ultra and spent thousands on paint and chrome on. The very first SF.com tailgate was my 93', my custom trailer (which carried a card table, 4 lawn chairs, and a Dick Butkus newspaper grill.) This was maybe 1994 or 95? They grew exponentially since that first one. There's probably pictures of it somewhere on the innerwebs, but I don't have any unless they're in a box in the attic. It was all painted up with OU stuff. The schooner was busting out of the top of the trailer with ghost ponies and skeletal riders. It had the "Big 12 graveyard" painted with tombstones of all the other teams. It was the year we joined the conference.

                  Now? No fucking way. I pick up motorcycles from time to time and ride them, but with all the morons with their cell phones in their faces? It's just a matter of time, and you'll be a grease spot. It doesn't matter how good a rider you are either.
                  Bob Barry Jr approves of this message.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Pokej View Post

                    Bob Barry Jr approves of this message.
                    He was on a fucking moped. You ride one of those things and you deserve to get kilt.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Nirvana Norman View Post
                      My retirement bucket list involves a doing a lot of traveling on a bike, states and Europe. Looking at a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT or similar sport touring bike.
                      My bucket list includes riding down to Ushuaia at the southern tip of Argentina. If not that, riding up to Alaska, would be nice to accomplish both.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

                        Snortin' Nortons. Heh.

                        My pop rode an early 40s Indian Chief from Kenosha, WI, to Colby, KS with my mom's brother on another one. Of course she wasn't my mom then, or his wife.

                        I've had motorcycles my entire life up until about 7-8 years ago. Started on home made mini bikes in the 60s, and bought a Bultaco Persang in the early 70s with paper route money. We raced east of Tucson on a TT track. Everyone else was running Triumphs and BSAs, and I could smoke them in the corners but they'd waste me on the long straights and sweepers. Bought my next bike, a brand new 1972 Suzuki TM 400 in 1973 with money from working at a pizza joint and selling dope. Faster and scarier than fuck. It got stolen in 1974 right before I joined the Army.

                        I've had Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, a BMW R100S I bought right after I got out of the Army, and several Harleys. My favorite was my 1993 Electra Glide that I turned into an Ultra and spent thousands on paint and chrome on. The very first SF.com tailgate was my 93', my custom trailer (which carried a card table, 4 lawn chairs, and a Dick Butkus newspaper grill.) This was maybe 1994 or 95? They grew exponentially since that first one. There's probably pictures of it somewhere on the innerwebs, but I don't have any unless they're in a box in the attic. It was all painted up with OU stuff. The schooner was busting out of the top of the trailer with ghost ponies and skeletal riders. It had the "Big 12 graveyard" painted with tombstones of all the other teams. It was the year we joined the conference.

                        Now? No fucking way. I pick up motorcycles from time to time and ride them, but with all the morons with their cell phones in their faces? It's just a matter of time, and you'll be a grease spot. It doesn't matter how good a rider you are either.
                        You definitely notice just how many people are on their phone when driving a bike, it's ridiculous. I don't ride in cities very often and try to avoid interstates like the plague. Riding down 75 through Dallas is one of the most terrifying things you can do on a motorcycle. Was almost taken out a couple of times on I45 in Houston, one guy at least followed me off the highway and pulled up next to me at the stop light and apologized. Other than running up to one of the local stores, I always wear a jacket, riding pants, boots, etc... sucks when you have to stop for even a bit when it's hot, but not bad at all while moving. I always wear a helmet and gloves, can't stand the wind in my eyes, they tear up so bad over 30 mph and for some reason I don't feel comfortable without gloves.

                        I like loading up the camping gear and taking the back roads to a lake or something, it's been a few years since I've done that, just haven't had the time. Exploring the countryside on a bike is pretty damn awesome, IMO.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by SlaughtervilleSooner View Post
                          I always wear a helmet and gloves, can't stand the wind in my eyes, they tear up so bad over 30 mph and for some reason I don't feel comfortable without gloves.
                          ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by SlaughtervilleSooner View Post

                            Is that Yamaha a midnight special? Those may not have come out until the 80s though, I wanted one of those so bad.

                            My first bike was a 1975 Yamaha XS500. Total piece of crap, electric starter didn't work most of the time, was next to impossible to kick start when it was cold. I had to bump start it so many times. Wish I still had it though. Also wish I was still skinny like that...

                            Not a Midnight Special,

                            CSB/ - I bought it from a co-worker who was moving out of state and couldn't take it with him. This was in 1988. When I arrived to pick it up I asked for the title. He said he couldn't find it at the moment and was moving the next day.
                            So, I gave him $100 with the balance due when he located the title, I took the bike home and put in my garage until I could get the ownership transferred.

                            Around 6 months later I received a Fedex envelope with the title enclosed. Apparently he never had the title transferred to his name from the original owner.
                            There was also a note with the title that read "Please take care of the title transfer issues and the bike is yours".

                            TL/DR - The bike only cost me $100. Still ride it occasionally.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by SlaughtervilleSooner View Post

                              You definitely notice just how many people are on their phone when driving a bike, it's ridiculous. I don't ride in cities very often and try to avoid interstates like the plague. Riding down 75 through Dallas is one of the most terrifying things you can do on a motorcycle. Was almost taken out a couple of times on I45 in Houston, one guy at least followed me off the highway and pulled up next to me at the stop light and apologized. Other than running up to one of the local stores, I always wear a jacket, riding pants, boots, etc... sucks when you have to stop for even a bit when it's hot, but not bad at all while moving. I always wear a helmet and gloves, can't stand the wind in my eyes, they tear up so bad over 30 mph and for some reason I don't feel comfortable without gloves.

                              I like loading up the camping gear and taking the back roads to a lake or something, it's been a few years since I've done that, just haven't had the time. Exploring the countryside on a bike is pretty damn awesome, IMO.
                              Hear that. When I still had a bike, I rode on the interstate maybe twice and it was only for a few miles and because it couldn't be avoided to get to where I was going.

                              My last bike was a 2003 Honda Shadow ACE in black. Leather saddle bags. This was when I lived in Noble. Lots of great backroad riding out there. I ride to relax and being on an interstate just isn't relaxing to me. I would go backroads to Tecumseh and Shawnee. I went down to Falls Creek for a men's retreat. I went backroads down to Lake Murray for a work event.

                              Riding out to Washington was a nice little ride. There used to be a little restaurant right across from Washington school. Don't know if it's still there. I ate there several times. There was a restaurant south of Wayne that served frog legs.

                              Taking those old highways, you see parts of the country you'd never see on the interstate. Cool little hidden gems. Guiseppe's in Marlow is a hidden gem. Things are slower and simpler when you get off the interstate. And you slow down enough to enjoy them and the people around there.

                              I lived in Cordell for a minute. Lots a good riding out that way too. Medicine Park and Meers. Backdoor Steakhouse in Blair was cool. Foss Lake.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                My oldest boy just bought a Honda something or other. It is a small starter bike, so he's learning before buying something bigger. Younger brother is really mad that he's not old enough to ride yet.

                                My brother had a kawasaki 300 back in the late 80’s. Nice little bike for riding south of tulsa on the back roads. He sold it and bought a 1978 Honda 750 with a big windshield. Rode it for about a year until he was stopped at a red light and a woman in a biga$$ Cadillac rear ended him and knocked him out into the intersection. A city trash truck stopped about three feet from crushing his head. He sold the bike the next week. You can do everything right and still another idiot will ruin your day.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by traxx View Post

                                  Hear that. When I still had a bike, I rode on the interstate maybe twice and it was only for a few miles and because it couldn't be avoided to get to where I was going.

                                  My last bike was a 2003 Honda Shadow ACE in black. Leather saddle bags. This was when I lived in Noble. Lots of great backroad riding out there. I ride to relax and being on an interstate just isn't relaxing to me. I would go backroads to Tecumseh and Shawnee. I went down to Falls Creek for a men's retreat. I went backroads down to Lake Murray for a work event.

                                  Riding out to Washington was a nice little ride. There used to be a little restaurant right across from Washington school. Don't know if it's still there. I ate there several times. There was a restaurant south of Wayne that served frog legs.

                                  Taking those old highways, you see parts of the country you'd never see on the interstate. Cool little hidden gems. Guiseppe's in Marlow is a hidden gem. Things are slower and simpler when you get off the interstate. And you slow down enough to enjoy them and the people around there.

                                  I lived in Cordell for a minute. Lots a good riding out that way too. Medicine Park and Meers. Backdoor Steakhouse in Blair was cool. Foss Lake.
                                  I live about 8 miles east/southeast of Noble. The roads out here aren't bad with all the hills, would be nice if there was a curve here and there though. I go south and east a lot. 77 is usually pretty nice to ride, I've taken it as far south as Marietta were I headed east and took the bridge over Texoma to get to Texas instead of I35, not a bad ride. East OK into Arkansas has some great roads.

                                  My son just got a KLR650 and I've been talking with him about doing an overnight trip down to Medicine Park and the wildlife refuge. I haven't been down there since the late 80s, I always thought Medicine Park was a funky little town, from google maps it looks like its probably quadrupled in size since the last time I was there. I'll have to check out some of the places you mentioned. I grew up in OKC and moved to Houston when I graduated from OU. We never traveled as a family, so I never saw much of OK when growing up. I never new there were honest to goodness mountains in OK until I went to ride the Talimena Parkway with a buddy of mine a few years ago. I plan to do some exploring around the state now that I've moved back.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

                                    Snortin' Nortons. Heh.

                                    My pop rode an early 40s Indian Chief from Kenosha, WI, to Colby, KS with my mom's brother on another one. Of course she wasn't my mom then, or his wife.

                                    I've had motorcycles my entire life up until about 7-8 years ago. Started on home made mini bikes in the 60s, and bought a Bultaco Persang in the early 70s with paper route money. We raced east of Tucson on a TT track. Everyone else was running Triumphs and BSAs, and I could smoke them in the corners but they'd waste me on the long straights and sweepers. Bought my next bike, a brand new 1972 Suzuki TM 400 in 1973 with money from working at a pizza joint and selling dope. Faster and scarier than fuck. It got stolen in 1974 right before I joined the Army.

                                    I've had Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, a BMW R100S I bought right after I got out of the Army, and several Harleys. My favorite was my 1993 Electra Glide that I turned into an Ultra and spent thousands on paint and chrome on. The very first SF.com tailgate was my 93', my custom trailer (which carried a card table, 4 lawn chairs, and a Dick Butkus newspaper grill.) This was maybe 1994 or 95? They grew exponentially since that first one. There's probably pictures of it somewhere on the innerwebs, but I don't have any unless they're in a box in the attic. It was all painted up with OU stuff. The schooner was busting out of the top of the trailer with ghost ponies and skeletal riders. It had the "Big 12 graveyard" painted with tombstones of all the other teams. It was the year we joined the conference.

                                    Now? No fucking way. I pick up motorcycles from time to time and ride them, but with all the morons with their cell phones in their faces? It's just a matter of time, and you'll be a grease spot. It doesn't matter how good a rider you are either.
                                    I think we lived some of the similar experiences.

                                    I have been a fan of Kawasaki's in particular from early on, although I have ridden just about anything from the old AMF Harley's to Husqvarna's and so on. I rebuilt a 1976 KZ 750 (an offshoot of the famous 76 KZ 900 LTD badass) after I got out of the military and rode that for around 15 years. Drove it to work on the border in southern Arizona and south Texas.

                                    But like your conclusion above, I was ran off the road some three times in 6 months and sold that thing.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post
                                      You can do everything right and still another idiot will ruin your day.
                                      One time I had my signal on and began slowing down to make a right turn and I heard screeching tires. The lady behind me wasn't paying attention and nearly hit me. It scared me but I still rode for several years until I got rid of my bike.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Remember the Yamaha Enduro? Around the time I became a teenager that was the bike everyone wanted. They created a race for that style of bike that they used to show on Wild World of Sports pretty often. The tracks would be about 50/50 dirt and pavement.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
                                          Remember the Yamaha Enduro? Around the time I became a teenager that was the bike everyone wanted. They created a race for that style of bike that they used to show on Wild World of Sports pretty often. The tracks would be about 50/50 dirt and pavement.
                                          Yep. Remember it well.

                                          In the mid to late 1970's we had a YZ 250 that was a straight dirt bike. It had an oversized rear gear sprocket and extra chain for hill climbing.

                                          There was a large open ranch off of 12th street and what is now Sequoyah Trail, north of Rock Creek. We used to ride back there quite a bit.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Buy a Harley
                                            I thought they were discussing how to enjoy motorcycling, not wearing fringe as fashion and how to turn gasoline into noise less efficiently.

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              Originally posted by Antidean View Post

                                              Not a Midnight Special,

                                              CSB/ - I bought it from a co-worker who was moving out of state and couldn't take it with him. This was in 1988. When I arrived to pick it up I asked for the title. He said he couldn't find it at the moment and was moving the next day.
                                              So, I gave him $100 with the balance due when he located the title, I took the bike home and put in my garage until I could get the ownership transferred.

                                              Around 6 months later I received a Fedex envelope with the title enclosed. Apparently he never had the title transferred to his name from the original owner.
                                              There was also a note with the title that read "Please take care of the title transfer issues and the bike is yours".

                                              TL/DR - The bike only cost me $100. Still ride it occasionally.
                                              Antidean. Interesting choice for a handle. Heh.

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                Originally posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
                                                Remember the Yamaha Enduro? Around the time I became a teenager that was the bike everyone wanted. They created a race for that style of bike that they used to show on Wild World of Sports pretty often. The tracks would be about 50/50 dirt and pavement.
                                                I had a 1970 360 enduro. Also had a 125 enduro and a 125 hodaka wombat. Chrome tank and all.

                                                The only street riding we did was on the way to the desert.

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Originally posted by Antidean View Post

                                                  Not a Midnight Special,

                                                  CSB/ - I bought it from a co-worker who was moving out of state and couldn't take it with him. This was in 1988. When I arrived to pick it up I asked for the title. He said he couldn't find it at the moment and was moving the next day.
                                                  So, I gave him $100 with the balance due when he located the title, I took the bike home and put in my garage until I could get the ownership transferred.

                                                  Around 6 months later I received a Fedex envelope with the title enclosed. Apparently he never had the title transferred to his name from the original owner.
                                                  There was also a note with the title that read "Please take care of the title transfer issues and the bike is yours".

                                                  TL/DR - The bike only cost me $100. Still ride it occasionally.
                                                  I had kind of the opposite experience with my XS500, I sold it to a friend of mine and he still owes me for it...

                                                  Comment


                                                    #26
                                                    Originally posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
                                                    Remember the Yamaha Enduro? Around the time I became a teenager that was the bike everyone wanted. They created a race for that style of bike that they used to show on Wild World of Sports pretty often. The tracks would be about 50/50 dirt and pavement.
                                                    They still make enduros and have races, probably not as popular as it used to be though.

                                                    Comment


                                                      #27
                                                      Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

                                                      I think we lived some of the similar experiences.

                                                      I have been a fan of Kawasaki's in particular from early on, although I have ridden just about anything from the old AMF Harley's to Husqvarna's and so on. I rebuilt a 1976 KZ 750 (an offshoot of the famous 76 KZ 900 LTD badass) after I got out of the military and rode that for around 15 years. Drove it to work on the border in southern Arizona and south Texas.

                                                      But like your conclusion above, I was ran off the road some three times in 6 months and sold that thing.
                                                      Kawasakis always had a reputation of being fast as shit and handling just a shitty as they were fast, kinda point, shoot and pray.

                                                      Comment


                                                        #28
                                                        I used to ride street bikes, but too many close calls ended all that. I still miss it so maybe someday again.

                                                        Comment


                                                          #29
                                                          Originally posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
                                                          Remember the Yamaha Enduro? Around the time I became a teenager that was the bike everyone wanted. They created a race for that style of bike that they used to show on Wild World of Sports pretty often. The tracks would be about 50/50 dirt and pavement.
                                                          I had a 175 Enduro that was my farm bike. That thing was a blast. We also had a Honda XL125, Honda's version of the "Enduro". Had a Honda Trail 90 before that, and a Trail 70 before that. Me and the little brother rode those things all the countryside, and we used them as farm vehicles the whole time. Bringing in cows, riding fence lines, whatever, wherever. Had countless wrecks out in the pastures, and never got hurt.

                                                          ​​​​​​When I moved to Tulsa from Norman in 1994, with barely any money, I totaled my POS Pontiac Grand Prix, and ended up with a check for $1200. I determined that I could buy a lot better $1200 motorcycle than $1200 car, and found a pristine 1982 Honda CB900.



                                                          That thing was awesome! Just a straight forward bike with a lot of engine. It was my only means of transportation for about 2 years. I had become gainfully employed in the meantime, got to where I could afford to buy a truck and the CB ended up in the garage only coming out for occasional rides. It came time where I was going to move to a different house, and I decided I would sell it, instead of take it with. Got it cleaned up, put on a new battery, changed the oil, put an ad in the Bargain Post, got called within minutes. Guys was coming to look at it Saturday morning. Before they got there I went out and fired it up and took it around the block to warm it up. Like a dumbass, I was just wearing some gym shorts and a t-shirt, no helmet, I was just going around the block... So I haven't ridden this thing in over a year, and sure as fuck, a block from my house some dumbass doesn't see me, turns in front of me. I have to swerve, and I hit the curb, trying to pull the front wheel up and onto the sidewalk... It doesn't work. Front wheel shoots sideways, I fly over the handlebars and faceplant forehead first right into the concrete. My forehead between my eyebrows is just shredded. My bottom lip is ripped open where one of my top teeth broke off into it. Roadrash on my forearms and knees and shins. I'm out cold for maybe 30 seconds or so. Wake up to the girl from the car that pulled in front of me screaming her lungs out at all the blood. Loaded into an ambulance, and at least coherent enough to have someone get my keys from the bike, which had ALL of my keys. I didn't even have my wallet with me. Just going around the block. End up in the ER, taking 56 stitches to my forehead, and I swear there is still a chunk of two of gravel in there, 15 stitches in my lip after they dug the tooth out, and covered in gauze for all the roadrash. Oh. And I may have had a job at that point, but not a good enough job to afford health insurance!!! So it was all on me. And since I hadn't been riding the bike, it wasn't tagged or inspected, so a cop ends up in the room where I'm getting stitched up and gives me tickets for all that. I ended up looking straight out of a horror movie for about 2 months, and I've still got clicks and catches and pops in my jaws and nose and forehead to this day. The physical pain, along with the medical and dental bills and then the tickets from the cops made those next few months one of the shittiest points of my life. Hell. Just this past year, I finally got the permanent implant for that tooth that broke off.

                                                          I see bikes out on nice spring and fall days, and think about how much I liked riding... But it fades pretty fast when I feel that scar inside my lip, or move around that piece of gravel in my forehead.

                                                          TLDR;. Wrecked. Broke face. Near financial ruin. Always wear a helmet!

                                                          Comment


                                                            #30
                                                            Originally posted by SoonerBornSoonerBrett View Post

                                                            I had a 175 Enduro that was my farm bike. That thing was a blast. We also had a Honda XL125, Honda's version of the "Enduro". Had a Honda Trail 90 before that, and a Trail 70 before that. Me and the little brother rode those things all the countryside, and we used them as farm vehicles the whole time. Bringing in cows, riding fence lines, whatever, wherever. Had countless wrecks out in the pastures, and never got hurt.

                                                            ​​​​​​When I moved to Tulsa from Norman in 1994, with barely any money, I totaled my POS Pontiac Grand Prix, and ended up with a check for $1200. I determined that I could buy a lot better $1200 motorcycle than $1200 car, and found a pristine 1982 Honda CB900.



                                                            That thing was awesome! Just a straight forward bike with a lot of engine. It was my only means of transportation for about 2 years. I had become gainfully employed in the meantime, got to where I could afford to buy a truck and the CB ended up in the garage only coming out for occasional rides. It came time where I was going to move to a different house, and I decided I would sell it, instead of take it with. Got it cleaned up, put on a new battery, changed the oil, put an ad in the Bargain Post, got called within minutes. Guys was coming to look at it Saturday morning. Before they got there I went out and fired it up and took it around the block to warm it up. Like a dumbass, I was just wearing some gym shorts and a t-shirt, no helmet, I was just going around the block... So I haven't ridden this thing in over a year, and sure as fuck, a block from my house some dumbass doesn't see me, turns in front of me. I have to swerve, and I hit the curb, trying to pull the front wheel up and onto the sidewalk... It doesn't work. Front wheel shoots sideways, I fly over the handlebars and faceplant forehead first right into the concrete. My forehead between my eyebrows is just shredded. My bottom lip is ripped open where one of my top teeth broke off into it. Roadrash on my forearms and knees and shins. I'm out cold for maybe 30 seconds or so. Wake up to the girl from the car that pulled in front of me screaming her lungs out at all the blood. Loaded into an ambulance, and at least coherent enough to have someone get my keys from the bike, which had ALL of my keys. I didn't even have my wallet with me. Just going around the block. End up in the ER, taking 56 stitches to my forehead, and I swear there is still a chunk of two of gravel in there, 15 stitches in my lip after they dug the tooth out, and covered in gauze for all the roadrash. Oh. And I may have had a job at that point, but not a good enough job to afford health insurance!!! So it was all on me. And since I hadn't been riding the bike, it wasn't tagged or inspected, so a cop ends up in the room where I'm getting stitched up and gives me tickets for all that. I ended up looking straight out of a horror movie for about 2 months, and I've still got clicks and catches and pops in my jaws and nose and forehead to this day. The physical pain, along with the medical and dental bills and then the tickets from the cops made those next few months one of the shittiest points of my life. Hell. Just this past year, I finally got the permanent implant for that tooth that broke off.

                                                            I see bikes out on nice spring and fall days, and think about how much I liked riding... But it fades pretty fast when I feel that scar inside my lip, or move around that piece of gravel in my forehead.

                                                            TLDR;. Wrecked. Broke face. Near financial ruin. Always wear a helmet!
                                                            Bad shit happens to bad people. Heh.

                                                            I broke 13 bones in one motorcycle wreck when I was 15. Almost didn't get into the Army when I was 17 because my foot/ankle was still kinda fucked up and I couldn't close one finger on one hand. First thing I had to do was go out and ride again though, or I never would have gotten back on one. I remember looking at the remains of my bike right after I got out of the hospital and getting almost physically sick to my stomach.

                                                            I've had a ton of wrecks, but have always managed to keep my face/head off the pavement. I skinned my ear one wreck (also broke my collar bone and a ton of road rash) when I was maybe 30, but my head never made solid contact. Same deal, a guy turned left in front of me, but I ended up T-boning him and launching over the top of the car.

                                                            Comment


                                                              #31
                                                              Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

                                                              Bad shit happens to bad people. Heh.

                                                              I broke 13 bones in one motorcycle wreck when I was 15. Almost didn't get into the Army when I was 17 because my foot/ankle was still kinda fucked up and I couldn't close one finger on one hand. First thing I had to do was go out and ride again though, or I never would have gotten back on one. I remember looking at the remains of my bike right after I got out of the hospital and getting almost physically sick to my stomach.

                                                              I've had a ton of wrecks, but have always managed to keep my face/head off the pavement. I skinned my ear one wreck (also broke my collar bone and a ton of road rash) when I was maybe 30, but my head never made solid contact. Same deal, a guy turned left in front of me, but I ended up T-boning him and launching over the top of the car.
                                                              You guys sound like Evel Kneivel in training. Ouch.

                                                              Comment


                                                                #32
                                                                Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

                                                                Bad shit happens to bad people. Heh.

                                                                I broke 13 bones in one motorcycle wreck when I was 15. Almost didn't get into the Army when I was 17 because my foot/ankle was still kinda fucked up and I couldn't close one finger on one hand. First thing I had to do was go out and ride again though, or I never would have gotten back on one. I remember looking at the remains of my bike right after I got out of the hospital and getting almost physically sick to my stomach.

                                                                I've had a ton of wrecks, but have always managed to keep my face/head off the pavement. I skinned my ear one wreck (also broke my collar bone and a ton of road rash) when I was maybe 30, but my head never made solid contact. Same deal, a guy turned left in front of me, but I ended up T-boning him and launching over the top of the car.
                                                                Lesson I learned in this thread. Stay off cycles unless you want to wind up looking like Sly.

                                                                But the bikes do look cool.

                                                                Comment


                                                                  #33
                                                                  Originally posted by Pokej View Post

                                                                  Lesson I learned in this thread. Stay off cycles unless you want to wind up looking like Sly.

                                                                  But the bikes do look cool.
                                                                  Your wife thinks my scars look cool.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    #34
                                                                    Grew up with 2 older brothers. Minibikes and motorcycles around the house since I was six. I had enduro bikes that I road on trails, around town and threw paper routes with. Raced motocross and a little flat track. No doubt I've had a few crashes, been run over by competitors and run over a few myself. Have ridden about every brand known to man. Couldn't get used to that right hand shift on the 74 Bultaco Pursang, lol. As far as street, my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I got hit when a car flipped a u-turn in front of us from the outside lane. She got road rash on leg and I had a sprained ankel. 45 years later and she still rides with me. We always gear up and avoid riding in the city as much as possible. i have owned Hodakas, Yamaha DTs,YZs, RDs and XS. Presently have a Star (Yamaha) Stratoliner. 1850 cc is a far cry from the 60 cc I started on. I miss the two strokes! The RDs were screamers for their size.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      #35
                                                                      Originally posted by SoonerBornSoonerBrett View Post

                                                                      I had a 175 Enduro that was my farm bike. That thing was a blast. We also had a Honda XL125, Honda's version of the "Enduro". Had a Honda Trail 90 before that, and a Trail 70 before that. Me and the little brother rode those things all the countryside, and we used them as farm vehicles the whole time. Bringing in cows, riding fence lines, whatever, wherever. Had countless wrecks out in the pastures, and never got hurt.

                                                                      ​​​​​​When I moved to Tulsa from Norman in 1994, with barely any money, I totaled my POS Pontiac Grand Prix, and ended up with a check for $1200. I determined that I could buy a lot better $1200 motorcycle than $1200 car, and found a pristine 1982 Honda CB900.



                                                                      That thing was awesome! Just a straight forward bike with a lot of engine. It was my only means of transportation for about 2 years. I had become gainfully employed in the meantime, got to where I could afford to buy a truck and the CB ended up in the garage only coming out for occasional rides. It came time where I was going to move to a different house, and I decided I would sell it, instead of take it with. Got it cleaned up, put on a new battery, changed the oil, put an ad in the Bargain Post, got called within minutes. Guys was coming to look at it Saturday morning. Before they got there I went out and fired it up and took it around the block to warm it up. Like a dumbass, I was just wearing some gym shorts and a t-shirt, no helmet, I was just going around the block... So I haven't ridden this thing in over a year, and sure as fuck, a block from my house some dumbass doesn't see me, turns in front of me. I have to swerve, and I hit the curb, trying to pull the front wheel up and onto the sidewalk... It doesn't work. Front wheel shoots sideways, I fly over the handlebars and faceplant forehead first right into the concrete. My forehead between my eyebrows is just shredded. My bottom lip is ripped open where one of my top teeth broke off into it. Roadrash on my forearms and knees and shins. I'm out cold for maybe 30 seconds or so. Wake up to the girl from the car that pulled in front of me screaming her lungs out at all the blood. Loaded into an ambulance, and at least coherent enough to have someone get my keys from the bike, which had ALL of my keys. I didn't even have my wallet with me. Just going around the block. End up in the ER, taking 56 stitches to my forehead, and I swear there is still a chunk of two of gravel in there, 15 stitches in my lip after they dug the tooth out, and covered in gauze for all the roadrash. Oh. And I may have had a job at that point, but not a good enough job to afford health insurance!!! So it was all on me. And since I hadn't been riding the bike, it wasn't tagged or inspected, so a cop ends up in the room where I'm getting stitched up and gives me tickets for all that. I ended up looking straight out of a horror movie for about 2 months, and I've still got clicks and catches and pops in my jaws and nose and forehead to this day. The physical pain, along with the medical and dental bills and then the tickets from the cops made those next few months one of the shittiest points of my life. Hell. Just this past year, I finally got the permanent implant for that tooth that broke off.

                                                                      I see bikes out on nice spring and fall days, and think about how much I liked riding... But it fades pretty fast when I feel that scar inside my lip, or move around that piece of gravel in my forehead.

                                                                      TLDR;. Wrecked. Broke face. Near financial ruin. Always wear a helmet!
                                                                      Ouch.

                                                                      Comment

                                                                      Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                                                      Collapse

                                                                      Go To Top

                                                                      Collapse

                                                                      Working...
                                                                      X
                                                                      UA-124223861-1