Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the funniest mispronunciations in Mississippi were some of the Choctaw place names. Texas is also bad about that with some of their Spanish names, but the ones in Mississippi were just funny to me. The best one I remember is the town of Shuqualak in Noxubee County. If you try to pronounce it correctly you'll get a Bless Your Heart look and will be told it's pronounced Sugar Lock.

Comment

oh, I love "warsh" for wash.

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post

That's actually the standard in the UK.
        I usually defer resolutions to conflicts over the English language to the British, but on this matter I am critical. Either they don’t pronounce it correctly, or they spell it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

Everybody knows it's "the walmarts." DOH.
          And stay out of the Woolworths...
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
            Ca'int as in "I ca'int do that no more".
            Man, I have a coworker who always pronounces it that way. It drives me nuts when I hear him on the phone with a client and he even emphasizes the word "cain't". It's funny because he has multiple college degrees and a relatively flat/nonexistent accent with only a hint of "Southern"; his dad is from NYC and his mom is from somewhere in the Southeast and he grew up in Savannah, GA and Nashville. He has no idea why he learned it that way. Not even my hillbilly father said it like that.

Comment

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people say “stastistics” instead of “statistics.”

Comment

Originally posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
                I spent 16 years in rural Mississippi. I have too many to mention, but there are patterns I picked up while I was there. One is that the black guys are more likely to add Ks and Rs where they don't belong, and the other is that white folks, both men and women, pronounce a lot of words as if all the vowels are long. In Kemper County a common stomach medication is pronounced Preev-A-Cid. Both of those things irritated me for a while, but I finally got used to it.

What never got old was hearing so many common phrases and cliches get butchered. "You don't know shit from shallow water." "He's shit up a tree." (instead of up shit creek) "Dumb as a door knob." It goes on and on. But, they can all say "bless your heart" correctly. Just don't ask them to spell it out.

https://youtu.be/KkTAqEfiRf8
                Last edited by SoonerAviator; 06-28-2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Missour-uh.

Speaking of Missouri, Mississippi Sooner's Sugar Lock story reminded me of trying to pronounce Auxvasse, MO.

Comment

My granny used to go to the Walmarts and the Kmarts. She would also go to the Dillard. Like noted above, she warshed her teeth every night in a cup. She took a lot of pitchers with her Cay mer a. She was born in Trousdale, Oklahoma in 1920 or so. I am not sure it is even on a map anymore.

Comment

Saying crown for crayon.

Comment

Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post

In Canada they said "zee" until like 30 years ago. The government made a top down decision to switch to "zed". This is what I was told by a Canadian anyway.
                        I don't doubt it. I worked with a Canadian guy with he last name of Zagrodny, but everyone called him "Zed", like the character from Men in Black played by Rip Torn.

I work with SAP software, which originated in Germany, and all fo their custom transaction codes begin with Z, like ZMM03, which is pronounced "zed-em-em-oh-three".

Which is another issue. Why do people say "oh" when the correct pronunciation is "zero"? How many critical mistakes have been made by people saying "oh" when they really meant "zero"? It matters (to me).

One time I was in England and the DJ on the radio played La Grange. He said the name of the band was Zed Zed Top.
                        Live Free or Die!

Comment

These two came from my wife. She says they are Okie terms. She's a born and bred Okie.

Bob wire

Duck tape
                          Live Free or Die!

Comment

In Canada they said "zee" until like 30 years ago. The government made a top down decision to switch to "zed". This is what I was told by a Canadian anyway.
                            Always laughed at the usage of both pronunciations for the purpose of rhyme within the lyrics to "Never Ever" by All Saints, a half-Brit/half-Canuck group. In one part they sing,
                            Flexing vocabulary runs right through me
                            the alphabet runs right from A to Zee

and then later,
                            Sometimes vocabulary runs through my head
                            the alphabet runs right from A to Zed

Comment

Calling Wind TurbInes, wind turbins. Turbins are hats.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner19 View Post
                                Saying crown for crayon.
                                Holy shit...where the furk this guy been?

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

I don't doubt it. I worked with a Canadian guy with he last name of Zagrodny, but everyone called him "Zed", like the character from Men in Black played by Rip Torn.

I work with SAP software, which originated in Germany, and all fo their custom transaction codes begin with Z, like ZMM03, which is pronounced "zed-em-em-oh-three".

Which is another issue. Why do people say "oh" when the correct pronunciation is "zero"? How many critical mistakes have been made by people saying "oh" when they really meant "zero"? It matters (to me).

One time I was in England and the DJ on the radio played La Grange. He said the name of the band was Zed Zed Top.
                                  Canadians I used to work with said Rute instead of Rout.

Comment

George Worshington was the first U.S. president.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

Canadians I used to work with said Rute instead of Rout.
                                      Now hold on a galdern minute, buddy. I understand what you’re saying because I too would say “I took a different ROUT to your house today” but the song says “I get my kicks on RUTE 66.” So maybe both are correct…puh-can, puh-con, pee-can and pee-con.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post
                                        Calling Wind TurbInes, wind turbins. Turbins are hats.
                                        *turban, you fucking aggy.

Comment

I hear people pronounce Illinois with an s at the end.

Live Free or Die!

Comment

Hence the military’s requirement when communicating on a radio. I was an rto for a while. We were taught to pronounce numbers thusly - one, two, tree, four, fife, six, seven, eight, niner, and zero. It was niner zero not ninety.

Comment

I hear people pronounce Illinois with an s at the end.
                                              Des Moines is another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

Hence the military’s requirement when communicating on a radio. I was an rto for a while. We were taught to pronounce numbers thusly - one, two, tree, four, fife, six, seven, eight, niner, and zero. It was niner zero not ninety.
                                                Tree? As in "tree-fiddy"?
                                                Live Free or Die!

Comment

Tree? As in "tree-fiddy"?
                                                  No. Tree as in "tree fife fife."

Comment

I hear Canadians and other english speaking foreigners pronounce it 'Zet' not 'Zed'.

Comment

Originally posted by zcaa0g View Post
                                                      George Worshington was the first U.S. president.
                                                      I've also heard Worshindun.

Comment

Saying crown for crayon.
                                                        I was at a new school and my 7th grade art teacher said this. I was so confused but all the other kids seemed to get it. I was literally looking for crowns. I thought something was wrong with me that I appeared to be the only one to not understand what she was talking about. Context didn't help either.

Comment

I was at a new school and my 7th grade art teacher said this. I was so confused but all the other kids seemed to get it. I was literally looking for crowns. I thought something was wrong with me that I appeared to be the only one to not understand what she was talking about. Context didn't help either.
                                                          I always heard Cray-in.

Comment

Originally posted by Just JK View Post
                                                            I will confess that my family teases me all the time for using the word “samwich” instead of sandwich

i can’t help it
                                                            Then figure it out. Someone over the age of ten saying that is embarrassing. At least it’s not sammy. That should carry the death penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post

Then figure it out. Someone over the age of ten saying that is embarrassing. At least it’s not sammy. That should carry the death penalty.
                                                              gee i sure hope you dont lose any sleep over this

btw- i'm going to have a turkey and swiss samwich for lunch today

Comment

Meh…potato tomato

Comment

Worcestershire

Comment

No matter how many times I correct her, my 7 year old says crown. It confuses the hell out of my 3 year old.

Comment

Worcestershire
                                                                      Wust-a-sher.
                                                                      Live Free or Die!

Comment

Caramel

Comment

Here's one I do on purpose: Old Miss

I've found it really bothers those that go there or have attended there

Comment

tv on and a break in the senate hearings one reporter says something to another and the second answers with eggzactly I thought of this thread.

Comment

#88

No matter how many times I correct her, my 7 year old says crown. It confuses the hell out of my 3 year old.
                                                                              If she's like my kids, she's doing it on purpose.

Comment

#89
                                                                                Here's one I do on purpose: Old Miss

I've found it really bothers those that go there or have attended there
                                                                                Apparently, many of our soon to be SEC brethren pronounce it Old Piss.

Comment

#90
                                                                                  Buffoolery

Comment

#91
                                                                                    Heighth. There's no H at the end of the word, people!

Comment

#92
                                                                                      Buffoolery
                                                                                      That's awesome! Years ago I had a coworker who accidentally combined words and phrases all the time and that would've been right in line with his style. He was always saying stuff like, "flustrated", "deplenish", "depressimistic", "escape goat", "two peas in a pot", "hindsight being 50/50", "wing it by ear", "grease it up a notch", etc.

Comment

#93
                                                                                        Originally posted by VUGear View Post
                                                                                        That's awesome! Years ago I had a coworker who accidentally combined words and phrases all the time and that would've been right in line with his style. He was always saying stuff like, "flustrated", "deplenish", "depressimistic", "escape goat", "two peas in a pot", "hindsight being 50/50", "wing it by ear", "grease it up a notch", etc.
                                                                                        Grease it up a notch?

Comment

#94
                                                                                          Geest. As in, "I saw a whole flock of geest fly over this morning.

Comment

#95
                                                                                            Grease it up a notch?
                                                                                            Um, yeah, not sure. We didn't want to think about it too deeply. He produced lots of even more cryptic quotes over the years, such as "yeah, you know we always catch that sideline elevator ride to sarcasm." WTF.

Comment

#96
                                                                                              When first seeing this thread, I immediately thought of nucular, instead of nuclear.

Comment

#97
                                                                                                When watching NBA, they often talk about a player's Lenth & Strenth.

Comment

#98

Apparently, many of our soon to be SEC brethren pronounce it Old Piss.
                                                                                                  Can confirm. In fact, I got a couple of texts from friends right before the series started that just said Beat the Hell out of Old Piss!

Comment

#99

In Canada they can compel speech. See Jordan Peterson‘s YouTube videos on transgender pronouns

Comment

"Height" as if the word ends in "th."
                                                                                                      ​​

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1