• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sheepdogs
    Ofishul Garbage Poster
    • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Xunil View Post

I was in Vegas last week and it was packed! I was mostly around Wynn and MGM Grand but the entire strip was very busy all week.
    Mostly young people?

Comment

• Stinger_1066
      My Patriot Act is the Bill of Rights
      • Mar 2018

It would be really nice if China would end their lockdown.
      If you are yet to be SECtarded, you aren't trying hard enough. Slykology.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• SoonerKA1999
        Ofishul Garbage Poster
        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
        It would be really nice if China would end their lockdown.
        I cut my losses today. I think we're in for a bit more depth to the pull back. Bears appear to be in charge right now. Going to see what the market does the rest of the week. We're fast approaching the period of "Sell in May and go away." period.

Comment

• sheepdogs
          Ofishul Garbage Poster
          • Mar 2018

If it gets back down close to 900 again I'm buying.
          Opportunity has arrived.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by sheepdogs View Post

Opportunity has arrived.
            Saw that. I bought some shares at $910. I should have waited until later in the day.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• theresonly187
              Banned
              • Nov 2018

anyone think this rally is fake?
              dow hasn't hit my projected low of 32950 yet...

Comment

• MJSooner
                Ofishul Garbage Poster
                • Apr 2018

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post
                anyone think this rally is fake?
                dow hasn't hit my projected low of 32950 yet...
                I hope it knows this.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                  • Mar 2018

I'm having a really good day for the first time in a while. Coal leads the way, followed by LNG. Oil, mining, agriculture and commodities are doing OK too.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• theresonly187
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2018

i don't think the dow has bottomed yet....not sure about nasdaq...

Comment

• MJSooner
                      Ofishul Garbage Poster
                      • Apr 2018

I'm having a really good day for the first time in a while. Coal leads the way, followed by LNG. Oil, mining, agriculture and commodities are doing OK too.
                      I was up a decent amount early in the day but sold off I guess later and I ended up negative. Really like to see this turn around ASAP.

Comment

• SoonerKA1999
                        Ofishul Garbage Poster
                        • Mar 2018

Stinger_1066 HP's Earnings came back stronger than expected. Beat estimates by $0.42. Financials look really strong going forward especially since they still have rigs ready to go and are only paying 280 BP annually on their LT debt. Statement from CEO John Lindsay is promising! Looks like I was fairly on target for my projections.
                        Read our recent and archived releases, quarterly results, annual reports, presentations, publications and financial statements.

Comment

• Sooner in SoCal
                          Ofishul Garbage Poster
                          • Mar 2018

AMZN and AAPL coming up... that should get things going in a direction.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                            • Mar 2018

You're better at reading the charts than I am, but Bill Gunderson says the support levels are:

DOW - 32250
                            S&P 500 - 4150
                            NASDAQ - 12600

NASDAQ has closed below that number the past 2 days. The DOW is 1000 points above. S&P is only 34 points above.

Looks like the NASDAQ is set to rally big today. We'll see if it sustains. Earnings numbers have been good for about 75% of the companies that have reported so far, so that helps, but it could be only temporary.

Originally posted by MJSooner View Post

I was up a decent amount early in the day but sold off I guess later and I ended up negative. Really like to see this turn around ASAP.
                            I've noticed a big difference since last year. Last year I was heavy in tech, and my account moved almost in unison with the NASDAQ. Since I shifted to value, I consistently beat the NASDAQ. The NASDAQ can be down, and I'll be up, like yesterday. However, the events of last Thursday and Friday and earlier this week, everything was down. Nothing you can do about that except either sell off or gut it out. I'm glad I didn't sell off, but I sure did not sleep well for a few days.

Originally posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
                            Stinger_1066 HP's Earnings came back stronger than expected. Beat estimates by $0.42. Financials look really strong going forward especially since they still have rigs ready to go and are only paying 280 BP annually on their LT debt. Statement from CEO John Lindsay is promising! Looks like I was fairly on target for my projections.
                            Yep, they were down several days in a row just like everyone else, but they should regain a lot of that today.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                              • Mar 2018

This may be a good value play - Allison Transmissions. I picked up a few shares yesterday.

P/E ratio of 9. 22% down from 52 week high. Earnings report below. Beat on top and bottom lines. Positive forward guidance.

Allison Transmission Q1 EPS, Sales Climb; Affirms 2022 Guidance -- Shares Up 3% After-Hours

4:35 PM ET, 04/27/2022 - MT Newswires
                              04:35 PM EDT, 04/27/2022 (MT Newswires) -- Allison Transmission Holdings (ALSN) on Wednesday reported Q1 earnings of $1.30 per diluted share, up from $1.07 a year ago.

Analysts polled by Capital IQ expected GAAP EPS of $1.14.

Sales rose to $677 million from $588 million. The Street projected $642.2 million.

The company affirmed its full-year 2022 sales outlook of $2.63 billion to $2.78 billion and net income outlook of $430 million to $520 million. The Street estimates sales of $2.7 billion.

Price: 37.33, Change: +1.09, Percent Change: +3.01

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                • Mar 2018

This news may negatively impact the market today.

U.S. economic growth rate unexpectedly declined in the first quarter by 1.4%

Gross domestic product unexpectedly declined 1.4% in the first quarter, marking an abrupt reversal for an economy coming off its best performance since 1984, the Commerce Department reported Thursday.

The negative growth rate missed even the subdued Dow Jones estimate of a 1% gain for the quarter.

A plethora of factors conspired to weigh against growth during the first three months of 2022, which fell off a cliff following the 6.9% gain to close out last year.

Rising omicron infections to start the year hampered activity across the board, while inflation surging at a level not seen since the early 1980s and the Russia invasion of Ukraine also contributed to the economic stasis.

Prices increased sharply during the quarter, with the price index for gross domestic purchases surging 7.8% in the three-month period, following a 7% gain in the fourth quarter of 2021.

While recession expectations on Wall Street remain low, there’s further trouble ahead: In an effort to combat burgeoning price increases, the Federal Reserve plans to enact a series of rate hikes aimed at slowing growth further.

Current market pricing indicates the equivalent of 10 quarter-percentage-point interest rate moves that would take the Fed’s benchmark interest rate to about 2.75% by the end of the year. That comes after two years of near-zero rates aimed at allowing a recovery from the steepest recession in U.S. history.

Along with that, the Fed has halted its monthly bond-buying program aimed at keeping rates low and money flowing through the economy. The Fed will start shrinking its current bond holdings as soon as next month, slowly at first then ultimately at a pace expected to hit as high as $95 billion a month.

While economists still largely expect the U.S. to skirt an outright recession, risks are rising.

Goldman Sachs sees about a 35% chance of negative growth a year from now. In a forecast that is an outlier on Wall Street, Deutsche Bank sees the chance of a “significant recession” hitting the economy in late 2023 and early 2024, the result of a Fed that will have tighten much more to tamp down inflation than forecasters currently anticipate.

That all comes after a year in which GDP rose at a 5.7% pace, the fastest since 1984. While consumer expenditures, which account for nearly 70% of the U.S. economy, drove growth in the first half of 2021, an inventory rebuild from the depleted pandemic levels accounted for almost all the growth in the final two quarters of the year.

Sustaining that growth into 2022 will require an easing in clogged supply chains and some resolution in Ukraine, both of which will face pressures from higher interest rates from not just the Fed but also global central banks that are engaged in a similar struggle against inflation.
                                Interest Rates,Inflation,Jobless claims,Gross domestic product,Breaking News: Markets,Markets,Breaking news,Economy,Breaking News: Economy,business news

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                  • Mar 2018

Today was a tale of two markets.

I lost almost my entire gain from yesterday in the first few hours. Pulling my hair out.

From that point I gained 200%. Now I need hair restoration surgery.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• SoonerAviator
                                    Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                    • Oct 2018

Today was a tale of two markets.

I lost almost my entire gain from yesterday in the first few hours. Pulling my hair out.

From that point I gained 200%. Now I need hair restoration surgery.
                                    So go long on Rogaine?

Comment

• OU48A
                                      Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                      • Mar 2018

Sold CLF at $30.46 a few days ago in my managed account for about a $17000 profit. CLF is about $25 now.
                                      Sold off other stocks for much smaller profits. Have been building up the dry powder for a few weeks now.

Comment

• theresonly187
                                        Banned
                                        • Nov 2018

dow hit my low...could go lower but I think the market will reverse to the up side in the next few days...

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                          • Mar 2018

dow hit my low...could go lower but I think the market will reverse to the up side in the next few days...
                                          I sure hope so. S&P and NASDAQ both closed below Gunderson's support levels.

In his email on Thursday he said he disposed of all his inverse ETFs because he thinks we found a bottom. He should have waited at least one more day.

I took a hit yesterday. The only thing that makes me feel good about it is it was significantly less than the hit taken by all the major indexes.

Friday was one of those gut it out days. Pretty sure there will be a rally when China ends their lockdown, if they ever do. 80% of earnings reports so far have been positive.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• MJSooner
                                            Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                            • Apr 2018

In his email on Thursday he said he disposed of all his inverse ETFs because he thinks we found a bottom. He should have waited at least one more day.

I took a hit yesterday. The only thing that makes me feel good about it is it was significantly less than the hit taken by all the major indexes.

Friday was one of those gut it out days. Pretty sure there will be a rally when China ends their lockdown, if they ever do. 80% of earnings reports so far have been positive.
                                            They need to be using US vaccines to open up their country and reduce infection before it turns into some other mutation and the whole world starts over again. Idiots.

Comment

• sheepdogs
                                              Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                              • Mar 2018

Thing about earnings reports, they are backward looking. Another GDP number like the previous one and that constitutes a recession (-1.4% growth was the initial read thus it could revert itself to a positive number given there are two revisions waiting down the road). Currently, the world is in a monetary tightening cycle. Monetary policy is usually too loose or too tight for the "sweet spot" rarely occurs. Given this, things are tending to look more grim than more robust. Sorry. There are always segments of the market which can still do relatively well, but the opportunities will likely become more narrow in scope. Good luck.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by sheepdogs View Post

Thing about earnings reports, they are backward looking. Another GDP number like the previous one and that constitutes a recession (-1.4% growth was the initial read thus it could revert itself to a positive number given there are two revisions waiting down the road). Currently, the world is in a monetary tightening cycle. Monetary policy is usually too loose or too tight for the "sweet spot" rarely occurs. Given this, things are tending to look more grim than more robust. Sorry. There are always segments of the market which can still do relatively well, but the opportunities will likely become more narrow in scope. Good luck.
                                                Agreed. I should have added, I look at forward looking guidance too.

The negative GDP is troublesome. The explanation I saw was that we imported a whole lot more than we exported this past quarter. So, we are even more dependent on the Chinese than ever before.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• theresonly187
                                                  Banned
                                                  • Nov 2018

dow below it's support...so i think it'll probly bounce by eod

Comment

• MJSooner
                                                    Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                    • Apr 2018

The pod from Friday for the CNBC guys (Guy Adami, Dan Nathan) are not optimistic AT ALL about the market and where it's going. Nothing I can do at this point but ride it out since it has been down so much.

Comment

• Sooner in SoCal
                                                      Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                      • Mar 2018

ugh... bought nq futures contract on test of the top side trend line 12800 and set a tight profit target, should have set a stop and let it run. 200 points later... LOL

Made a profit but man, the woulda coulda

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                        • Mar 2018

You were right about that.

I was at one point down 1.5% on the day, finished up 0.4%.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                          • Mar 2018

The pod from Friday for the CNBC guys (Guy Adami, Dan Nathan) are not optimistic AT ALL about the market and where it's going. Nothing I can do at this point but ride it out since it has been down so much.
                                                          I think this bottom will hold. Nowhere to go but up, but it may continue to be a roller coaster for a while. China coming out of lockdown will really help.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                            • Mar 2018

MJSooner - LSB (LXU) was crushed today. Their earnings report wasn't that bad. Call me stupid, but I added a few more shares.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                              • Mar 2018

The Fed announced a 50 basis point hike, which was expected. J Powell speaks at 1:30 pm.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                                • Mar 2018

I watched Powell's presser. First time I've ever done that. It was very interesting to watch the index numbers. As soon as he said that they were not entertaining anything larger than 50 basis point hikes, the indexes exploded. My account went from being flat on the day to being up by more than 2% in less than 15 minutes.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• MJSooner
                                                                  Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                  • Apr 2018

I watched Powell's presser. First time I've ever done that. It was very interesting to watch the index numbers. As soon as he said that they were not entertaining anything larger than 50 basis point hikes, the indexes exploded. My account went from being flat on the day to being up by more than 2% in less than 15 minutes.
                                                                  I need that gig for a few days so I can unload some dogs.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                                    • Mar 2018

I need that gig for a few days so I can unload some dogs.
                                                                    I ended up 3% on the day. My best in a long time. At one point I was a half percent down.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• MJSooner
                                                                      Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                      • Apr 2018

I ended up 3% on the day. My best in a long time. At one point I was a half percent down.
                                                                      I was up 2.05%.

Comment

• MJSooner
                                                                        Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                        • Apr 2018

I was up 2.05%.
                                                                        Back down today almost as much.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                                          • Mar 2018
                                                                          • 46288

Back down today almost as much.
                                                                          Today is a good day to buy.

Also, I suspect there may be an afternoon rally.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• theresonly187
                                                                            Banned
                                                                            • Nov 2018
                                                                            • 10206

Today is a good day to buy.

Also, I suspect there may be an afternoon rally.
                                                                            may not get that bounce today

Comment

• MJSooner
                                                                              Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                              • Apr 2018
                                                                              • 9406

may not get that bounce today
                                                                              Brutal today.

Comment

• theresonly187
                                                                                Banned
                                                                                • Nov 2018
                                                                                • 10206

dow could close above 32885...not much of a bounce

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                                                  • Mar 2018
                                                                                  • 46288

Oh well, back to square one. I used it as an opportunity to buy some stuff that has posted positive earnings reports. Baby being thrown out with the bathwater type stuff.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• theresonly187
                                                                                    Banned
                                                                                    • Nov 2018
                                                                                    • 10206

bounced a little higher than i anticipated....
                                                                                    should start a pretty solid rally very soon....i think the low is basically in....

Comment

• Me And My Butt
                                                                                      Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                                      • Mar 2018
                                                                                      • 18845

Two steps forward, two steps back….

Today’s gain is tomorrow’s loss….or vice versa.

Options traders love volatility…but not this level of volatility.

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                                                        • Mar 2018
                                                                                        • 46288

bounced a little higher than i anticipated....
                                                                                        should start a pretty solid rally very soon....i think the low is basically in....
                                                                                        I also think we've hit bottom. Not sure about a rally, but I expect a slow upward trend.

The Fed was pretty firm in their commitment to stick to 50 basis point hikes for the next few meetings. They took the 75 basis point hike option off the table (for now).

80% of the S&P companies beat earnings expectations, and most have offered positive forward guidance.

Multiples have shrunk due to the rise in interest rates. That means forward P/E is lower than before, i.e., there is more value.

The three wild cards are the war, the lockdown in China, and inflation (has it peaked yet?).

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• MJSooner
                                                                                          Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                                          • Apr 2018
                                                                                          • 9406

And lower we go......

Comment

• OU48A
                                                                                            Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                                            • Mar 2018
                                                                                            • 20813

Things are down for me over all but it's times like this when I'm glad that my manger has gradually been shifting us into higher quality positions that pay decent dividends an in recent weeks, he has been building up our dry powder....but, I'm afraid we are entering a lengthy period of time that will eventually remind investor's a lot of the 1970's and perhaps worse, but nobody knows.

Comment

• Sooner5030
                                                                                              Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                                              • Mar 2018
                                                                                              • 4405

*
                                                                                              Click image for larger version

Name:	FSFvpY1XwAA5Hec?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	999383
                                                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• Sooner5030
                                                                                                Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                                                • Mar 2018
                                                                                                • 4405

Comment

• SoonerMBA
                                                                                                  Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                                                  • Apr 2018
                                                                                                  • 985

Market opens lower today. I've got a little dry powder to add more VTSAX at the bottom. Is today that day, or hang on a little longer?

Comment

• Stinger_1066
                                                                                                    • Mar 2018
                                                                                                    • 46288

Originally posted by SoonerMBA View Post
                                                                                                    Market opens lower today. I've got a little dry powder to add more VTSAX at the bottom. Is today that day, or hang on a little longer?
                                                                                                    That is a very broad fund. Have you considered any sector funds?

Pretty much everything is down today - all sectors.

This might be a good day to buy some O&G and / or commodity ETFs.

Never go full Sparktard.

Comment

• MJSooner
                                                                                                      Ofishul Garbage Poster
                                                                                                      • Apr 2018
                                                                                                      • 9406

Where's that bottom you all were seeing last week?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1