Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During one of the ice storm outages I had a small generator. I ran an extension cord to my attic to run the fan on the furnace. Ran power to the fridge, TV, and a lamp. We survived just fine with that and some candles and flashlights.

Comment

Originally posted by alinaty

Spend the extra money and buy a Generator with a Honda, Yamaha or Kohler Motor. Make sure you check the maintenance schedule and follow it religiously. Print some calendar blanks on some sheets of paper and once your generator has to fire up, jot down the days, mark your generator start time and create oil change dates... If you're running the generator an extended period of time, you'll need to make sure you're changing the oil. If it runs non-stop for 3 days, change the oil every 3 days. Just do it. You'll regret it if you don't. I've experienced generator failures on my hunting lease and during the 2007 Ice storm because of failure to monitor maintenance. (Ice storm was my generator. Hunting lease, one of my buddies was lazy and didn't work on his and I warned him... 2 days extra run time and he threw a rod.)
      Why are you copying my posts?
      Last edited by ChpThril; 05-28-2019, 06:57 AM. Reason: removed spammers tags

Comment

Backfeeding the line is illegal as hell. But wayyyy cheaper than a generac system. I recommend it to my customers who don’t want to spend the 9K for a Generac system. On new construction we have to label it a welder plug in order to pass inspection.

You’ll spend about $2500-$3k for a good generator and $300 for the electric cable. If you can find an electrician to do the wiring afterwards, probably about $350.

The generac system is normally limited to a few breakers so often won’t be able to run your entire house with it. Just the large majority of it. Backfeeding the line will run your entire house, but microwaves will kill it at start up, and sometimes AC units firing up.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post

Why are you copying my posts?
          Bc he’s a sneaky spammer, trying to get past the minimum post count. I’ve been watching him for a bit. He finally started sliding in key words in the quotes hoping mods wouldn’t notice. But idiot quoted one of mine in like the third post he ever made. He didn’t add any weird tags, but i started watching him.

Comment

Originally posted by UCO4Sooners View Post

Now your are just going down the road of Ford versus Chevy. I have a Kohler on a zero turn that has less than 200 hours on it that burns oil and leaks like a sieve. Both Kohler and B&S have industrial/commercial rated engines which last longer and they both have cheap aluminum engines too. And BTW, Generac's whole home generators are powered by Generac engines as are their portables.
            Generac is no longer owned by Briggs and Stratton. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generac_Power_Systems

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...2065&showall=1

Re: Generac Or Briggs & Stratton
            There is so much misinformation in this post, I feel the need to reply to a few of them. While some of these are “industry misconception” they are NOT accurate.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022 View Post
            B&S makes the motors for Generac last I heard.
            Briggs does not make the engines for Generac units.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by StaggeringGoat View Post
            Briggs owns Generac. Honda blows donkey balls...ask a commercial equipment user, you won't find any Honda love.

As far as I know, Briggs is the only USA made small engine you can buy.
            Briggs does NOT own Generac. Generac sold their portable products division to a private equity firm, who then sold to Briggs. Briggs kept the Generac name on the products that biz made. In 2008 (I believe) the non-compete expired, and Generac started private labeling portable products again.
            The Honda engines are VERY highly regarded (depending on which line and what equipment they are going in) Which units have you had problems with?
            Briggs is one of many US made small engines. Honestly, there are a TON of great small aircooled engines coming in from overseas as well. But if I can keep my $ in the US, I always try to!
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by bob15 View Post
            Check out the family owned Gillette Generators. They are US made.
            This is actually pretty close but Gillette generators are assembled in the US at their facilities in Elkhart, Indiana. Their engines are both foreign and domestic, their alternators are mixed but pretty good. Some are their own manufactured units (on the portable line), the larger units are Marathon. I believe that they do make their own enclosures, but they farm out their sub base fuel tanks (which says a LOT about their manufacturing capabilities). Pretty good units and good people here.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Skin View Post
            True but they keep Generac quite independant. Many home owner grade generac units are powered by chinese honda clone engines.
            This isn’t true – Briggs doesn’t own Generac in any capacity. Generac Guardian and Corepower series units are powered by US manufactured Generac aircooled engines. (made in Whitewater, WI). In the last year, they may have farmed some of this out on the GP/XP crap (HONDA CLONE), AFAIK my information is correct on their portables, but 20kW and up are US made for sure.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Skin View Post
            Only certain models. About a year ago they started to put stickers on their engines if they were made here. Many of their better (commercial) engines have quite a bit of Japanese in them. They also have factories in China.
            Generac doesn’t have factories anywhere but WI. They do buy a lot of parts from overseas, of course but they don’t make those.
            Generac sources engines for their industrial units from all over the place (read cheapest option) They used to be Mitsubishi, Volvo, and Doosan. Now they are Iveco (marketing calls this FPT or Fiat Powertrain Technologies), Volvo, and Doosan (marketing tries to label these DHI).

All the portable Generac Generators sold now come with the 420cc Chinese GP/XP Honda Clone motor on them. NOT Briggs and Stratton. This is the same motor that gave me fits on my generator.

The 420cc they're putting in their portable generators, may be built by Generac, but the specs I'm fairly certain are the same as these Chinese Honda clones.

Generacs whole home standy generators their lower end KWh models use the same 420cc motor their portable generators use.

Once you cross over into the 9/11KWh they change to a 426cc and 530cc motor respectfully

16/20/22 KWh standby generators are V-Twin motors at 999cc which means they're either Kawaski or Kohler motors since both make that size and style of motors.

Once you get into their 25KWh models, you're into the 1.5L Inline 4 which is built by either Mitsubishi or Isuzu. < I know this to be true because my best friend sells and services these because they're linked to Isuzu for GM and Allison applications for Medium Duty Diesels they sell for on road and off road applications. He works on these things for a living. They use these Generacs in back up platforms for oil field applications on the rigs they build with Detroit Diesel and Allison transmission drill applications.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerPT View Post

Not true we were down for 10 days during the big ice storm and we frequently lose power. I would highly recommend it to anyone, I have a whole house generac and can't sing it's praises enough.
              Why do you guys lose power so often? Long way from the station? We've lived in our house for 16 years and never been w/o power longer than maybe 18 hours, and that was once.

Obviously depends on where you live.

Comment

Do these generator thingys work when your house has 3 feet of water standing inside it?
                Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

Comment

The guy I have been talking to about installing my Generator said that back in the day you had to purchase a 500K insurance policy when installing a whole house standby. This protected workers down the line for back feeding the power. He said that the automatic transfer switches now prevent any power going back thru the lines.

Comment

If you have high tension wires running across your property you can siphon off free power via inductive or capacitive coupling.

Comment

Damn, Stinger

Comment

Originally posted by oucub23 View Post

Why do you guys lose power so often? Long way from the station? We've lived in our house for 16 years and never been w/o power longer than maybe 18 hours, and that was once.

2007 Ice Storm I was without power for 3 weeks. The house I lived in at the time had an electric hot water heater.... No heat, No hot water. It sucked... I lived in midtown. So yes, long term power outages are possible. He'll there are 5m people without power in Ohio right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pphilfran View Post
                          Damn, Stinger
                          I think Stinger is drunk this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post

I think Stinger is drunk this morning.
                            I think it's his ADHD acting up.... you can always tell when it happens when the right side of the message board has his name as the last post for more than half the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Pphilfran View Post
                              Damn, Stinger
                              Sounds like he is trying to set me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
                                If you have high tension wires running across your property you can siphon off free power via inductive or capacitive coupling.
                                I have a flux capacitor will that work?

Our neighborhood is all buried.

Comment

Originally posted by SportyJames View Post

I have a flux capacitor will that work?

Our neighborhood is all buried.
                                  Flux capacitors are for time travel. And they require as much electricity as is generated by 15 commercial aircraft jet engines.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by oucub23 View Post

Live in the panhandle and loss of electricity is frequent

Comment

During an ice storm a few years back I lost power for a week. We packed up and took a vacation.

Other than that only an hour or two.

Comment

We lost power for 5.5 days when Harvey blew thru. With the new grandbaby here, we want a place where my kiddo can be safe with power.

Comment

Done.

Comment

I do have to say... when that storm blew through Dallas last Sunday and knocked my power out for 36 hrs --- I was jealous of you dudes with the generators. I think I'll at least invest in a gas powered one for just these types of emergencies.

Comment

Done.
                                                Hopefully your power goes out soon, sir.

You have a lot going on there along side your house.

Comment

Done.
                                                  Running a weedeater in that area looks like it's gonna be a bitch. I'd just nuke it with weed killer and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Sam View Post

Running a weedeater in that area looks like it's gonna be a bitch. I'd just nuke it with weed killer and call it a day.
                                                    And cover up the dirt with pebbles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Sam View Post

This

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

And cover up the dirt with pebbles.
                                                        And that

Comment

I will pass this valuable information along to my lawn guys.

Comment

I will pass this valuable information along to my lawn guys.
                                                            Are they illegal Messicans, or do you only hire American?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                            X
                                                            UA-124223861-1