Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OU48A View Post
    The sleet has set up and is pretty solid
    The kids were "sledding"...using card board...down the street in front of my house. Cops came along and made them stop.

Comment

What the chances that this is our last snow/ice event of the season?

Comment

Comment

Weird, I shoveled yesterday with no problem.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20220225_073259.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	971253 Sleet I dug out of my driveway. That's about 2.5 inches worth at a guess. My snow shovel wouldn't crack the surface. I had to get a spade shovel to break it up.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bushmaster06 View Post

Weird, I shoveled yesterday with no problem.
              Were you able to do it without first heating up a bucket of sand?
              Live Free or Die!

Comment

These always work well with the conditions we have.

YaktraxYaktrax Pro Traction System
                Item #760281

Comment

These always work well with the conditions we have.

YaktraxYaktrax Pro Traction System
                  Item #760281
                  I have ice cleats, not those but a different kind. The street in front of my house was so slick this afternoon I couldn't get any traction with those cleats on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Schooner View Post

I have ice cleats, not those but a different kind. The street in front of my house was so slick this afternoon I couldn't get any traction with those cleats on.
                    I have some old boots that have spikes on them from my days in western Kansas...they work well on ice.... until I go inside

Comment

The sun did a pretty good job of clearing the streets in my neighborhood yesterday. I expect most of it will be gone by end of day today.
                      Live Free or Die!

Comment

looks like a week of beautiful springlike weather in the forecast.....is winter over?

Comment

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post
                          looks like a week of beautiful springlike weather in the forecast.....is winter over?
                          Spring weather is in the forecast, but my street and sidewalks are still completely sleet covered...We will have cloud cover most of the day so melting will be limited. The main roads are fine

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

Were you able to do it without first heating up a bucket of sand?
                            Strangely enough, yes.

Comment

Spring weather is in the forecast, but my street and sidewalks are still completely sleet covered...We will have cloud cover most of the day so melting will be limited. The main roads are fine
                              My driveway cleared itself the old fashion way

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post

My driveway cleared itself the old fashion way
                                Mine is melting off well today but it still has some sleet where it blew off the roof onto the drive. The street still has some ice on it.
                                The driveways that are shaded and face / slope the north in my neighborhood still have a decent amount of sleet. Some of the steep drives were sanded as they often are.
                                Where I lived in Kansas some people and businesses had heated driveways and sidewalks.

Comment

I suppose we need to enjoy the next several weeks or so until tornado season begins. Wonder how a nuclear war would affect Oklahoma weather?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by OUwasp View Post
                                      I suppose we need to enjoy the next several weeks or so until tornado season begins. Wonder how a nuclear war would affect Oklahoma weather?
                                      Nuclear naders! Mike Morgan will suffer brain damage from the raging boner he’d have.

Comment

Well, shit. I was going to plant potatoes today.

Comment

Originally posted by bushmaster06 View Post
                                          Well, shit. I was going to plant potatoes today.
                                          It for reasons like that....that I posted the information

Comment

Comment

Accuweather shows it in the 50s next week, then the 60s. Which one of you is correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Schooner View Post

Accuweather shows it in the 50s next week, then the 60s. Which one of you is correct?
                                                First, This is not me....secondly, its generally best to follow the money / energy on something like this. They aren't always right, but they start talking about it sooner and are more accurate than Accuweather who I not a fan of.

Last edited by OU48A; 03-03-2022, 01:49 PM.

Comment

enid forecast for thursday....

Thursday Night
                                                  A chance of rain, snow, freezing rain, and sleet. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Comment

Comment

It's already tornado season.

There is a large tornado on the ground moving toward the Des Moines Iowa area.

Comment

Comment

Pretty unusual, by my recollection, for there to be tornados that far north this early in the year. Seems like most tornados this time of year happen in SEC country.

Live Free or Die!

Comment

Comment

A few out there on the pro met forums saying that the signals a pretty strong that we will have a dry and warm spring and early shift into summer with no rain in sight. Is this going to be another summer of 2011? Will wildfires and dust storms ravage the state? Will OKC reach 120f?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Weenis View Post
                                                                A few out there on the pro met forums saying that the signals a pretty strong that we will have a dry and warm spring and early shift into summer with no rain in sight. Is this going to be another summer of 2011? Will wildfires and dust storms ravage the state? Will OKC reach 120f?
                                                                We just had snow, and it is still melting. Ground is still wet. But the area where I live is under a "fire weather" watch until 9 pm Sunday night.
                                                                Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Weenis View Post
                                                                  it's going to be dry...until it isn't...
                                                                  that's how oklahoma weather works;)

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

We just had snow, and it is still melting. Ground is still wet. But the area where I live is under a "fire weather" watch until 9 pm Sunday night.
                                                                    My father was a volunteer firefighter for 20 years. He always used to say that late winter/early spring were the worst times for brush and grass fires. The vegetation is at it's driest...dryer than summer time...and you start getting the spring time winds. Those two things combined made for fast spreading fires.

Comment

mid April 2018 we had to evacuate the entire town because of a wildfire, for the next 6 weeks we'll all jump every time we hear the fire siren go off. still under a burn ban plus most of the vegetation has been grazed off.

officially we are at somewhere between 130 and 150 days without .25 inches according to the mesonet but I got lucky last Sunday just before the sleet came thru where I live got nothing but where we have our cattle we got 3 tenths of rain, it was a narrow band few of us got it and a mile away they got nothing.

Comment

got an inch of rain last nite....more coming on monday...
                                                                        maybe we'll have a wheat crop after all..

Comment

good rain for some

Comment

Pretty nasty-looking trough coming in early next week. At the moment, Oklahoma looks to get a nice drink from it and not much more, but the west-central Gulf region will have some excitement, particularly around Mississippi on Tuesday.

Comment

we got a tenth out of this last round but Monday sounds promising for something better, got to get there first though, from all the forecasts looks to be a bad fire weather day on Sunday.

Comment

I have never seen these factors taken into account in a weather report.
                                                                                They could have a significant tornado outbreak

Comment

the nws is probably going start promoting more equitable tornadoes/weather....
                                                                                  wat a minute...they already do....fake man caused harsh climate...caused by white people...

Comment

I don't know about public reports, but they've definitely been talking more "behind the scenes" about those factors the last few years. There's more of a push to really dig into the question of why well-forecasted events still kill a bunch of people sometimes, and population density, media access, quality of construction, and response options when warnings are issued are all likely to play a big role.

Comment

Update for today: moisture return from the Gulf has been stronger than anticipated, and there's an Enhanced Risk (Level 3 out of 5) for severe weather and a heightened risk of strong tornadoes for the DFW metroplex and areas south and east. The SPC currently includes southern Oklahoma (up to Altus/Lawton/Paul's Valley) in the Slight Risk (Level 2) area, mainly for hail but also with some potential for tornadoes mixed in. A Marginal Risk (Level 1) for severe hail extends up to the OKC metro, with the potentially-severe storms expected between 7 and 10 p.m. Sooo ... maybe not just a nice drink for the southern half of the state, although the worst of it should stay south of the Red River.

Comment

unfortunately...so far the rain is setting up a bit far to the east...
                                                                                        hopefully it will expand westward later on...

Comment

It’s pouring here.

Comment

Originally posted by ouwxgrad_v2 View Post

I don't know about public reports, but they've definitely been talking more "behind the scenes" about those factors the last few years. There's more of a push to really dig into the question of why well-forecasted events still kill a bunch of people sometimes, and population density, media access, quality of construction, and response options when warnings are issued are all likely to play a big role.
                                                                                            Because there are a bunch of "well-forecasted events" that fizzle.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Because there are a bunch of "well-forecasted events" that fizzle.
                                                                                              Well, expected events that wind up fizzling are not "well-forecasted" by definition. Just saying.

I get your meaning, referencing the "Chicken Little" factor (which is a big part of the conversation as well, FWIW; reducing the false alarm rate is big area of focus, too). However, I'm talking about instances where not only was the general risk widely publicized in advance, but also, when deadly storms actually materialized, the warning lead time before they struck populated areas was more than sufficient for people to take protective action. (I guess I would have done better to say "well-forecasted/nowcasted" for clarity's sake.) However, even when the forecast is accurate, the news coverage is on-point, and the warning lead time is all we could hope for given the current state of the science, there are a lot of people whose response is insufficient or outright non-existent.

Why? A lot of it may be due to people being completely jaded (or irredeemably stupid, regardless of what information is available to them), sure, but how much of it is because a substantial chunk of the population does not have the means to receive warnings in a timely manner? How much of it is because, even if they get the warnings, they simply do not have the means to protect themselves adequately (due to poor home construction, lack of dedicated shelters in the immediate vicinity, lack of individual mobility to get to locations with dedicated shelters, etc.)? Those are the issues referenced in the tweet, and with the recent indications that the prime climatological area for tornadoes may be shifting from the Plains to the poorer and more densely-populated Southeast, those issues aren't going away.

Comment

My ponds have been way down. It's raining like a big dog, and has been for a couple hours. Getting to the point where it looks like some good runoff rain. I sprayed pre-emergent on my pasture and the rain is right on time.

Comment

I don't miss this at all.

Comment

up to 1.25" for the day....
                                                                                                    much needed....

Comment

just started here, hasn't been much yet but sure looks nice, been a long time since had a nice shower like this, wind warning for tomorrow and that blizzard warning comes up just to my west in the Texas Panhandle.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1