Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Weather Thread Vol. 3-Featuring SATP

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by OU48A View Post

    To anyone

    That’s not good news...It looks like the cell is becoming better established... I’m wondering if it has trouble staying well established if the cap is stronger as it moves our way?
    I have forgotten a lot and a lot has changed since I took Met at OU in the late 1970’s.....is there a map that describes where the Cap is strongest or is it all still looking at individual soundings?
    OUN sounding still showed a pretty good inversion. Multiple noses. Ouwx was looking at an area with little cloud cover to where surface heating could weaken it. I believe a small cell fired down in TX, but didn't last long. I guess we'll know soon enough where we stand if something pops.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Maximus View Post

      OUN sounding still showed a pretty good inversion. Multiple noses. Ouwx was looking at an area with little cloud cover to where surface heating could weaken it. I believe a small cell fired down in TX, but didn't last long. I guess we'll know soon enough where we stand if something pops.
      It's popping...

      Comment


        Originally posted by BoomerSooner33 View Post

        It's popping...
        Here we goooooo! I'm hanging on to my butt. Round 3.

        Comment


          Originally posted by BoomerSooner33 View Post
          Discussion from NWS Norman about issuing a tornado watch soon....someone with Tweet skills can link it.
          Mesoscale Discussion 0733 NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK 0212 PM CDT Wed May 22 2019 Areas affected...southwest into central and northeast OK Concerning...Severe potential...Watch possible Valid 221912Z - 222045Z Probability of Watch Issuance...60 percent SUMMARY...Monitoring for signs of convective initiation and sustained thunderstorm development. A tornado watch is being considered in the next 1-2 hours.

          DISCUSSION...Latest surface analysis indicates a triple point over southwest OK with a dryline extending southward into west TX. A maritime warm front has progressed northward across the I-44 corridor in OK and a decaying cold front is located from north-central OK northeastward through southeast KS into west-central MO.

          Surface observations show temperatures rising into the lower 80s over much of OK south of the warm front with dewpoints in the lower 70s. The warmest conditions are located over southwest OK where convective temperatures are close to being breached. A 17z Norman, OK special sounding showed moderate buoyancy but the boundary layer had not destabilized appreciably.

          Since then, a very unstable airmass has developed over central OK with 3500 J/kg MLCAPE estimated by objective analysis. KTLX VAD data over central OK indicates a supercell wind profile is in place with 50kt effective shear and around 100 m^2/s^2 0-1km SRH. Model guidance indicates the LLJ will gradually strengthen this afternoon into the early evening. Forecast hodographs become most favorable for low-level mesocyclones/tornadoes during the 5pm-8pm period with a classic sickle-shape structure and 0-1km SRH increasing to 200 m^2/s^2. Models are suggestive of a more isolated coverage from near OKC and south/southwest with widely scattered storms possible farther northeast into northeast OK.

          Although the severe risk is conditional, high-end severe weather would likely accompany any intense supercell.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Fostercluck View Post
            The wx-geeks at the Washington Post covered yesterday's chaser insanity pretty well - https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...=.f74bde0c4fb6
            Multiple chasers with red/blue police lights “pulling over” others to clear their path to the storm
            Isn't that kinda illegal?

            Comment


              PDS tornado watch coming. Crazy stuff. The cumulus field I was watching earlier seems to have died down a bit, but people near Lawton need to not sleep on that batch of cells that just fired off to the south.

              Comment


                Originally posted by traxx View Post



                Isn't that kinda illegal?
                No. Not kinda.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by traxx View Post



                  Isn't that kinda illegal?
                  I would LOVE for every one of those yahoos to get chucked in jail. It's bush league and it's dangerous.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by ouwxgrad_v2 View Post
                    PDS tornado watch coming. Crazy stuff. The cumulus field I was watching earlier seems to have died down a bit, but people near Lawton need to not sleep on that batch of cells that just fired off to the south.
                    It's here. This seems about right after Monday.

                    Comment


                      Shit

                      Warning for me

                      Comment


                        Like I said earlier... we were warned for days about Monday and instead it will be a day like today when the shit hits the fan.

                        Phone alert just came through for a tornado watch until 10.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Dia stema
                          PDS WATCH ISSUED?
                          Yep

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by SoonerSean View Post
                            Like I said earlier... we were warned for days about Monday and instead it will be a day like today when the shit hits the fan.

                            Phone alert just came through for a tornado watch until 10.
                            Well, a big one hasn't happened yet. Whether it does or not, though, your general point was a good one.

                            Comment


                              Those little bitty cells due south of the metro are starting to look a bit more robust as well.

                              Comment


                                They are growing fast.

                                i hope the one by me doesn't take the march up I 44

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Pphilfran View Post
                                  They are growing fast.

                                  i hope the one by me doesn't take the march up I 44
                                  That's where pretty much everybody's mind is at the moment. It's still getting organized, but if it doesn't crap itself out ... could be bad.

                                  Comment


                                    Some rotation in the cell south of Tribbey. The big one by Lawton is still figuring things out.

                                    Comment


                                      Only light rain now. I think it will be mostly east.

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Pphilfran View Post
                                        Only light rain now. I think it will be mostly east.
                                        Do.not.want.

                                        Comment


                                          Cell just broke away from the bigger cell near Lawton.

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by BoomerSooner33 View Post
                                            Cell just broke away from the bigger cell near Lawton.
                                            Yep, it's throwing off left splits and might be starting to turn right. Not a good combo.

                                            Comment


                                              Originally posted by ouwxgrad_v2 View Post

                                              Yep, it's throwing off left splits and might be starting to turn right. Not a good combo.
                                              It is blowing up fast...That may be a problem...

                                              Comment


                                                Funny that this day, which is kinda flying under the radar, may be a worst situation than a very hyped Monday. Usually works like that.

                                                Comment


                                                  Originally posted by GoSooners7 View Post
                                                  Funny that this day, which is kinda flying under the radar, may be a worst situation than a very hyped Monday. Usually works like that.
                                                  Cap is a bitch

                                                  Comment


                                                    So I'm really wanting to be able to throw my steaks on the grill around 5 pm. Will I be able to?

                                                    Live Free or Die!

                                                    Comment


                                                      Payne said OKC by 5:00. Just like usual. They always seem Tobput a bullseye on the metro during the evening commute.

                                                      Comment


                                                        Originally posted by ouwxgrad_v2 View Post

                                                        Yep, it's throwing off left splits and might be starting to turn right. Not a good combo.
                                                        Thankfully it looks like it is weakening

                                                        Comment


                                                          Originally posted by BoomerSooner33 View Post

                                                          Thankfully it looks like it is weakening
                                                          Nope. Rotation is picking up, heading toward Geronimo. Lawton needs to keep an eye out as well.

                                                          Comment


                                                            OU is shutting down campus right now


                                                            Comment


                                                              Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
                                                              So I'm really wanting to be able to throw my steaks on the grill around 5 pm. Will I be able to?

                                                              You need to get yourself a covered patio.

                                                              Comment


                                                                Originally posted by ouwxgrad_v2 View Post

                                                                Nope. Rotation is picking up, heading toward Geronimo. Lawton needs to keep an eye out as well.
                                                                Sorry, the smaller cell. The bigger one is about to drop a nader

                                                                Comment


                                                                  My storm seems to be reinventing itself to my south. Looks like I will get hit after all

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    Originally posted by MJSooner View Post

                                                                    You need to get yourself a covered patio.
                                                                    This. Don’t be poor, Stinger.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      Sounds like people headed home an hour or so from now from OKC toward Chickasha may be driving right into the teeth of it.
                                                                      Live Free or Die!

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        Light rain with sun shining

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          Tying to drop one

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            Originally posted by BoomerSooner33 View Post

                                                                            Sorry, the smaller cell. The bigger one is about to drop a nader
                                                                            Ah, got ya.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              Originally posted by MJSooner View Post

                                                                              You need to get yourself a covered patio.
                                                                              Originally posted by bushmaster06 View Post

                                                                              This. Don’t be poor, Stinger.
                                                                              Covered patios are fine during rain showers. They don't help much during tornados.

                                                                              Besides, it is a work in process. The slab is poured. I'm building the pergola and installing the entertainment system and hot tub myself. Still won't be completely covered though.

                                                                              The new slab is on the left. The pergola and hot tub will go there. The dog is under the existing covered portion.



                                                                              Live Free or Die!

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                Originally posted by Pphilfran View Post
                                                                                My storm seems to be reinventing itself to my south. Looks like I will get hit after all
                                                                                Yep. The area of rotation near Geronimo has backed off, but there's another one strengthening and heading toward the south side of Lawton. Be careful.

                                                                                Update: Actually, that's the storm throwing off another split. Good news in the short term, maybe not so good when it comes to long term development.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  Originally posted by ouwxgrad_v2 View Post

                                                                                  Ah, got ya.
                                                                                  That smaller cell blowing up again???

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    They just can't get over the hump. Thank goodness

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      Originally posted by Pphilfran View Post
                                                                                      Tying to drop one
                                                                                      You need to pinch it off and get out there and be weather aware!

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        Originally posted by BoomerSooner33 View Post

                                                                                        That smaller cell blowing up again???
                                                                                        Trying to. Still holding out hope that this will be like Monday, with one key ingredient just not quite there when the storms try to go up.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          In Tulsa, they just closed the bridge from Riverside and Peoria. Damn, traffic is gonna be a bitch for many many people trying to get home.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            Stuff now trying to go up north of Piedmont. Nothing serious there just yet.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              I think that storm by me is going to go off. Seeing a hail core starting to build

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                Also, rotation developing southwest fo Konawa.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  Originally posted by Pphilfran View Post
                                                                                                  I think that storm by me is going to go off. Seeing a hail core starting to build
                                                                                                  Yep. Structure's hit or miss right now, but the power is there, and the environment favors organization.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    East of me

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                      Payne is trying to convince me to delay my dinner plans a tad.
                                                                                                      Live Free or Die!

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                                                                                      Collapse

                                                                                                      Go To Top

                                                                                                      Collapse

                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1