Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of getting a big green egg

Thoughts?

I'd tell you to get a Weber Summit Kamado instead. But, I'm a total Weber honk, so take that into consideration.
    ​​​​​​
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/c.../18201001.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	18201001BR_1800x1800-REV.png?w=800&h=800&auto=compress%2cformat.png
Views:	121
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	999658

Comment

Why are the green eggs so popular? I've never actually known anyone who had one but I hear people talk about them a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by LakelandSooner View Post
        Why are the green eggs so popular? I've never actually known anyone who had one but I hear people talk about them a lot.
        I'm not sure. I'm getting a smoking deal on one. It sounds like they're easy to use to smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by OUMick View Post
          Thoughts?
          I’ve got one. They are a very versatile machine. They hold a constant temperature very well. Great for low and slow but also can reach 600 F temps for a rapid sear. You can bake or use as a pizza oven.

There is better equipment for smoking. Better eauipment for steaks and high temp sear. But there’s not many single pieces of equipment that consistently do everything as well as the BGE.

The down side is that they don’t give them away.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post

I’ve got one. They are a very versatile machine. They hold a constant temperature very well. Great for low and slow but also can reach 600 F temps for a rapid sear. You can bake or use as a pizza oven.

There is better equipment for smoking. Better eauipment for steaks and high temp sear. But there’s not many single pieces of equipment that consistently do everything as well as the BGE.

The down side is that they don’t give them away.
            Yeah. I'm getting a XL for $500 with all of the accessories they have. It's only about a year old but I have no idea what accessories it has yet.

Comment

Yeah. I'm getting a XL for $500 with all of the accessories they have. It's only about a year old but I have no idea what accessories it has yet.
              That’s a great deal. I have the L and have to cut down briskets to 17” long to get them to fit. My only complaint is the size for the money.

Comment

I know a local business owner who is a big Kamado Joes guy. He has well over half a dozen smokers/grills on his back porch. I thought about buying one but they are heavy as hell. And if you crack the thing, it's pretty much wasted $$$. Least that's my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post

That’s a great deal. I have the L and have to cut down briskets to 17” long to get them to fit. My only complaint is the size for the money.
                  I have a L. I’ve smoked 20lb turkeys and 13-14 old briskets. The XL is the way to go if you have a big family or like to entertain.

$500 is a bargain.

Comment

Go with a local company and get a Hasty Bake. It’s the most versatile grill/smoker on the market and made right in Tulsa since 1948.

if $500 is such a steal, why are they willing to part with it?

Comment

Originally posted by SixBean View Post
                      Go with a local company and get a Hasty Bake. It’s the most versatile grill/smoker on the market and made right in Tulsa since 1948.

if $500 is such a steal, why are they willing to part with it?
                      She is getting divorced moving into an apartment doesn't have room for it and I'm buying her house.

Comment

get a hasty bake...

Comment

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post
                          get a hasty bake...
                          Never been that impressed with them. May not like the BGE either but I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Never been that impressed with them. May not like the BGE either but I'll give it a shot.
                            Nothing to not like about the BGE except the initial price. I’ve had mine for 3 years and it looks to me like it might last forever. In the long ru. It might be quite cost effective.

Comment

not sure how you smoke and grill on a bge......but that's what's great about the hasty bake...
                              with the ability to lower the firebox ......and also using the heat deflector.....u move the heat source down about 18 inches from your meat...
                              only thing i don't like about the hasty bake....they really need to increase the size of the air vents....
                              on calm days...it's difficult geting enuf air flow to keep the temp up...

Comment

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post

not sure how you smoke and grill on a bge......but that's what's great about the hasty bake...
                                with the ability to lower the firebox ......and also using the heat deflector.....u move the heat source down about 18 inches from your meat...
                                only thing i don't like about the hasty bake....they really need to increase the size of the air vents....
                                on calm days...it's difficult geting enuf air flow to keep the temp up...
                                From what I’ve read and seen in videos, the BGE has a deflector plate to smoke. They say the ceramic keeps the heat in so well that you don’t have to add more charcoal to smoke a brisket. It appears you have little airflow to keep everything going.

Another plus is you can seal up the egg and the extinguish the fire saving charcoal for the next go around.

Comment

From what I’ve read and seen in videos, the BGE has a deflector plate to smoke. They say the ceramic keeps the heat in so well that you don’t have to add more charcoal to smoke a brisket. It appears you have little airflow to keep everything going.

Another plus is you can seal up the egg and the extinguish the fire saving charcoal for the next go around.
                                  I have used the BGE to smoke.

No matter how great the deflector is, no matter how low you manage the heat, you are still placing the meats directly over the heat source, and it will cook your meats faster. It's more of a smoke flavored oven than a true offset smoker type.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazers pew pew pew View Post

I have used the BGE to smoke.

No matter how great the deflector is, no matter how low you manage the heat, you are still placing the meats directly over the heat source, and it will cook your meats faster. It's more of a smoke flavored oven than a true offset smoker type.
                                    I was worried about that. I have my offset smoker if I don't like the BGE. I've seen people win competitions with the BGE but I don't know how they do it.

Comment

I was worried about that. I have my offset smoker if I don't like the BGE. I've seen people win competitions with the BGE but I don't know how they do it.
                                      BGE is great for grilling. 100% enjoy them for high heat grilling and the flavor from it.

Comment

I want something like this

convert to lower case

Comment

Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
                                          I want something like this

convert to lower case
                                          Will that be good for grilling a couple of hot dogs?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                          X
                                          UA-124223861-1