First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolly Madison Zingers

When I was in elementary school, my grandparent's house backed up to a small retail strip that had a Dolly Madison day old shop in it. There was no fence in the backyard, so you just walked through the back hedge and you were at the store. Granny would sometimes give each of us grandkids a quarter and send us through the back hedge to get whatever we wanted for a quarter. I always got chocolate zingers. I would eat 2 of the 3 pack and save one for just before bedtime. I haven't looked in years, are Zingers still around?

Litte Debbie was my whore.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazers pew pew pew View Post
      I always thought it was ironic that Little Debbie is owned by a Seventh Day Adventist family. SDA's are huge on what they call their "health message" which emphases healthy eating and little or no meat. But bring it with those sugary snacks. If you see a fat SDA it's likely that they do a lot of Little Debbie.

I will say though that I always thought of Little Debbies as as sort of the "Old Milwaukie" of snack foods.

Zingers were pretty good but I didn't like them near as much as your regular Hostess Cupcakes. Cherry fruit pies were my main go to.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

I always thought it was ironic that Little Debbie is owned by a Seventh Day Adventist family. SDA's are huge on what they call their "health message" which emphases healthy eating and little or no meat. But bring it with those sugary snacks. If you see a fat SDA it's likely that they do a lot of Little Debbie.

I will say though that I always thought of Little Debbies as as sort of the "Old Milwaukie" of snack foods.

Zingers were pretty good but I didn't like them near as much as your regular Hostess Cupcakes. Cherry fruit pies were my main go to.
        Saturday Sabbath and Oatmeal Cream cookies are almost heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post
          When I was in elementary school, my grandparent's house backed up to a small retail strip that had a Dolly Madison day old shop in it. There was no fence in the backyard, so you just walked through the back hedge and you were at the store. Granny would sometimes give each of us grandkids a quarter and send us through the back hedge to get whatever we wanted for a quarter. I always got chocolate zingers. I would eat 2 of the 3 pack and save one for just before bedtime. I haven't looked in years, are Zingers still around?
          Zingers are still around. They are made by Hostess.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post
            Just happened to spot some at the store tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7B282946-9CA3-4A2E-A930-D4A8253A2214.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	1000005

Comment

Zingers were my go to back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post

Pretty much everything made by them since the return sucks.

Comment

How are your teef with the bedtime Zinger?

Comment

Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post

Pretty much everything made by them since the return sucks.
                    They have certainly shrunk the size of things. I remember Ding Dongs being about 33% larger and they came individually foil wrapped.

Comment

They have certainly shrunk the size of things. I remember Ding Dongs being about 33% larger and they came individually foil wrapped.
                      Anything I’ve tried seems dry and lacking in flavor.

Comment

The Food That Built America on History featured Little Debbie. Didn’t mention the 7th day stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
                          The Food That Built America on History featured Little Debbie. Didn’t mention the 7th day stuff.
                          Just saw that too. That's a pretty good series

Comment

I liked zingers but twinkies were my go to. Also remember the joy of unwrapping the foil from a dog doing.

It seems a lot of our snacks from childhood have a sexual conotation.

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post
                              I liked zingers but twinkies were my go to. Also remember the joy of unwrapping the foil from a dog doing.

So so you unwrapped your ding dong to show a Twinkie? Pervert!

Comment

For a while years ago, you could get the vanilla Zingers in a 4 pack, but with no icing. Sort of a poor man's Twinkie. Same price as the 3 pack chocolate or vanilla with icing. I never cared for the vanilla icing as much as I loved the chocolate. If mom had ever brought a box of them home (she never did because we were mostly poor and didn't get stuff like that), I would have eaten them all before she even got the groceries into the house. I picture it going something like this:

Mom: Where are the Zingers I just bought.
                                Me (with chocolate covered lips, fingers and shirt): I dunno.
                                Mom: You are grounded twice. Once for eating all of the Zingers and another time for lying.
                                Me: OK.
                                Me (silently): But it was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post

Now they are so dry.

A buddy of mine had a dad that was an exec for Wonder. My buddy worked at the Hostess plant in StL. He sat at the end of the line with a gallon of milk and are the Twinkies hot out of the oven. He said that ruined them any other way.

Comment

I'm one of those oddball weirdos that never ate any of that shit growing up. Mainly cause we were poor, and later cause that shit is bad for you. I have eaten less than 10-12 donuts in my entire life, maybe a half-dozen twinkies, and none of these zingers that I know of. However, in a maybe one month period at the beginning (and end for me) of high school I discovered Honey Buns. We'd smoke some weed and then go to the Circle K on Kolb Rd. and get a Honey Bun and a chocolate milk. Best. Thing. Ever.

Then I got busted, went to jail, then to the Army and alas, haven't had a honey bun or a chocolate milk since. It's weird, but I just don't like sweet breakfasty shit. Eggs/bacon/ham/sausage/biscuits/gravy/grits/toast. Fuck all those sugary cereals and cakes and donuts and crap. Maybe why I have a family full of beetus sufferers, and I don't have it?

Comment

Just bought a 10 pack of chocolate zingers at the walmarts in Dothan, Alabama. Btw, the stereotypes about Alabama are accurate. Especially at the walmarts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazers pew pew pew View Post
                                        We called her “Little Debbie Snatch cake”…

Never cared for Snatch cakes zingers. But some her stuff was edible…. Nutty Buddy being my fav. Still have a tooth for them with a glass of milk. Especially at the hunting camp to finish off the night.

Comment

Just bought a 10 pack of chocolate zingers at the walmarts in Dothan, Alabama. Btw, the stereotypes about Alabama are accurate. Especially at the walmarts.
                                          Careful…..while it’s cool to suggest and talk about Bama and SE folks like many are better, everywhere in the country has it’s FS folks, many way worse than Bama or SE folks. Walmarts all across the country I’ve seen has it’s share of stereotypes, amongst other things.

However, I get it…it’s ALWAYS fun and special to bash the south and SE….And look kewl.

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post

Careful…..while it’s cool to suggest and talk about Bama and SE folks like many are better, everywhere in the country has it’s FS folks, many way worse than Bama or SE folks. Walmarts all across the country I’ve seen has it’s share of stereotypes, amongst other things.

However, I get it…it’s ALWAYS fun and special to bash the south and SE….And look kewl.
                                            Not to worry. It has continued into Florida. I don't think I am a better person just probably have better cultural etiquette. I don't go to the walmarts without a coat and tie. They are from Goodwill, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post

But ya'll did/do have the big assed Dolly Madison (now Hostess) plant in Columbus, GA. I remember driving by it one time way back when. It's a pretty impressive place and it smelled good too.

Comment

I purchased a box of "Dinosaur Cupcakes" from Hostess for the youngest son. They didn't taste like dinosaurs, didn't look like dinosaurs. They had green icing. That was it. Really small, too. Creme filled, so I guess that was something. Would purchase again, though disappointing.

Comment

I purchased a box of "Dinosaur Cupcakes" from Hostess for the youngest son. They didn't taste like dinosaurs, didn't look like dinosaurs. They had green icing. That was it. Really small, too. Creme filled, so I guess that was something. Would purchase again, though disappointing.
                                                  Small. Cream filled. Disappointing. Are we still talking about cupcakes?

Comment

Originally posted by RustyShackleford View Post
                                                    Just happened to spot some at the store tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7B282946-9CA3-4A2E-A930-D4A8253A2214.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	1000005
                                                    Wtf are those?

Zingers are chocolate with cream filling.

All the rest of those things labeled as zingers aren’t really zingers….they’re something else, falsely labeled as zingers.

Seriously…cupcakes, ding dongs, and zingers should never be anything except chocolate…that’s fucked up. Nearly as bad as beans in chili.

Comment

Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post
                                                      Wtf are those?

Zingers are chocolate with cream filling.

All the rest of those things labeled as zingers aren’t really zingers….they’re something else, falsely labeled as zingers.

Seriously…cupcakes, ding dongs, and zingers should never be anything except chocolate…that’s fucked up. Nearly as bad as beans in chili.
                                                      Vanilla. Strawberry. The latter is the only one that’s moist.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                      X
                                                      UA-124223861-1