First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QB depth

Brent mentioned in the post spring game presser that the depth at QB is an area of concern . Am surprised we don’t have another portal option at QB , someone who is at least 3 or 4 stars and wants to transfer , knowing Dillon is only at OU for one more season . Am sure the coaches have plenty of options but am a bit surprised there is no proven Forum QB .
    Any thoughts who we may be bringing ? If any , before the season start ? I think Rucker would get the nod if things stay as is . He played pretty well at high school , and has taken some risks as a walk on .

any thoughts ?

Yes, our QB situation is not good once you get past Gabriel. We’re one season ending injury away from being a 7-5 football team. I agree with you that Rucker would be the backup if the season started today with Bowens behind him.

There were some Twitter rumors that we might be pursuing Gerry Bohanon from Baylor, but he committed to USF today. I think we also hosted a veteran guy named Davis Beville from Cal this weekend. He hasn’t played a lot of football, but he is older and is a big guy with a pretty strong arm. At least, that’s what I’d say based on the small amount of film there is on him on YouTube. We need to find another QB in the portal, but the pickings are slim.

Long term, our best hope is for Gabriel to stay another year before Jackson Arnold is ready to take the reigns.

Comment

Too bad these guys won't get any better over the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
        Too bad these guys won't get any better over the summer.
        Rosy optimism cloaked in sarcasm. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post
          Yes, our QB situation is not good once you get past Gabriel. We’re one season ending injury away from being a 7-5 football team. I agree with you that Rucker would be the backup if the season started today with Bowens behind him.

There were some Twitter rumors that we might be pursuing Gerry Bohanon from Baylor, but he committed to USF today. I think we also hosted a veteran guy named Davis Beville from Cal this weekend. He hasn’t played a lot of football, but he is older and is a big guy with a pretty strong arm. At least, that’s what I’d say based on the small amount of film there is on him on YouTube. We need to find another QB in the portal, but the pickings are slim.

Long term, our best hope is for Gabriel to stay another year before Jackson Arnold is ready to take the reigns.
          I think it’s laughable that some people have written off Nick Evers after 1 spring game. A guy who should still be in high school. SMH

Comment

I do have concerns about our depth due to lack of experience. With that said, it sure would be nice to get through the fall never having to see if my concerns are unfounded.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post

I think it’s laughable that some people have written off Nick Evers after 1 spring game. A guy who should still be in high school. SMH
              Evers wasn’t just bad in that spring game. He was awful. It wasn’t just about that game though. Gabe and Teddy on the Oklahoma Breakdown are pretty objective especially when it comes to our guys. They were talking about how bad he’d looked in practice even before the spring game. It’s not personal.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post
                I do have concerns about our depth due to lack of experience. With that said, it sure would be nice to get through the fall never having to see if my concerns are unfounded.
                We’ve been lucky with that in the past. In 2016, 2018, and 2020, we didn’t really have a top notch backup, but fortunately, the starter stayed healthy. We’ll need the same in 2022.

Comment

I say go with Bowens. He'll add a dimension the other guys can't. I remember Lebby being at Baylor, and they had like 3 qbs injured,and Baylor ran for 600 yards in their bowl game. Lebby will lean heavily on the run even with Dillon healthy.

Comment

Doesn't matter - other teams are not going to score on the BV 2.0 defense anyway.

Comment

Doom and gloom!
                      Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
                        Doom and gloom!
                        It’s doom and gloom to discuss depth at a position?

Comment

and to think, at one time Kyler Murray was our backup. Someone will show up in the portal when classes end all around the country, one would think.

Comment

I don't have any data to back this up but I suspect many teams are in the same boat. With portal and NIL out there, the idea of going to tradition rich schools (even as backups) for the experience and chance to win championships is no longer a driving force for many of these players. Bohanon is a perfect example. Could join OU or Missouri or even stay at Baylor but chooses a team in the AAC who has been playing football for all of 25 years and is 3-18 over the last two years.. Pay me and play me is the new reality.

Comment

It’s doom and gloom to discuss depth at a position?
                              You predicted a 7-5 season if Gabriel goes down. You didn't indicate at what point in the season, so lets assume we lose him before the season starts.

If we are 7-5 without Gabriel, that doesn't say much about the supporting cast - defense and all the other offensive position groups.

I can't conceive that the backup QBs are that bad.
                              Live Free or Die!

Comment

If Gabriel goes down, we’ll be leaning on the defense to limp through the rest of the Big 12 slate and a bowl. Assuming he leaves, we’ll be looking in the portal then. Not many proven OU-caliber QBs looking to transfer to sit for possibly two years. We don’t have a QB whisperer stacking 5*s anymore. But we will probably complete more than half our passes in the month of November this year.

Comment

Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post
                                  I say go with Bowens. He'll add a dimension the other guys can't. I remember Lebby being at Baylor, and they had like 3 qbs injured,and Baylor ran for 600 yards in their bowl game. Lebby will lean heavily on the run even with Dillon healthy.
                                  Agree with this. Go to a heavy option run game, short passes, emphasize Bowens speed. And really lean on the defense to win.

Comment

Sounds like out back-ups don't even know how to take a snap from center. I guess we could just run the wildcat every play, sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by smusooner View Post

Agree with this. Go to a heavy option run game, short passes, emphasize Bowens speed. And really lean on the defense to win.
                                      Kinda wonder what Lebby would do in that spot. He could probably get a lot out of power option running with just enough sideline-to-sideline quick passing to keep them honest, but the tempo he likes is the opposite of what teams that need to win with defense usually do.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

Kinda wonder what Lebby would do in that spot. He could probably get a lot out of power option running with just enough sideline-to-sideline quick passing to keep them honest, but the tempo he likes is the opposite of what teams that need to win with defense usually do.
                                        Big part of the tempo is about getting personnel match up advantage and pressuring that advantage without letting the defense substitute.

But totally agree, going quick makes it more difficult to win with defense.

Comment

Read through this thread and go to Joe C and request a forfeit.

Comment

You predicted a 7-5 season if Gabriel goes down. You didn't indicate at what point in the season, so lets assume we lose him before the season starts.

If we are 7-5 without Gabriel, that doesn't say much about the supporting cast - defense and all the other offensive position groups.

I think it's conceivable to see us going .500 against the likes of Nebraska, Kansas State, Texas, ISU, Baylor, OkSt... even with Gabriel. Not saying it will happen, but the supporting cast has a lot to fix this year. Installing a new defense may reap some rewards this year, but OL play has to improve.

Comment

From what i've read on Lebby is he likes a quick tempo but he likes a quick tempo with a running game, I would think that a quick tempo with a running attack should still eat up some time for the defense to rest as opposed to an all out passing attack quick tempo where the offense could throw 3 incomplete passes and the defense would be right back on the field. from the film that came out when he was hired the offense seemed to be about picking up first downs with the run and pass, if you can get first downs you can play fast but still have your offense on the field for a length of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post
                                                Sounds like out back-ups don't even know how to take a snap from center. I guess we could just run the wildcat every play, sigh.
                                                They have never even put on pads before this spring. Gabriel goes down, we punt every down and win via safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer Sooner View Post

I think it's conceivable to see us going .500 against the likes of Nebraska, Kansas State, Texas, ISU, Baylor, OkSt... even with Gabriel. Not saying it will happen, but the supporting cast has a lot to fix this year. Installing a new defense may reap some rewards this year, but OL play has to improve.
                                                  I am not high on Nebraska. They finished 3 - 9 last season. They have a very weak schedule before they play us. They won't know what is hitting them.
                                                  Live Free or Die!

Comment

QB isn’t going to be at the level we have enjoyed for so long for quite a while. This team is going to be built completely different than any OU team has been since 2005 and that’s not a bad thing. Just different than what we have come to expect. UGA and tOSU won NCs recently with nobody’s at QB.

Comment

Remember when discussing QB's and QB depth the unsigned high school commit is ALWAYS better than any QB on the roster.

Comment

Yeah, I meant early in the season.

Comment

Davis Beville just committed. Has a great shot to be our backup.

Comment

Just came here to post the same thing. Played behind Pickett at Pitt. Big kid, pro style QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

They have never even put on pads before this spring. Gabriel goes down, we punt every down and win via safety.
                                                              I was being sarcastic - an inherent message board right.

Comment

Dude looks like Josh Allen. 6ft6 238lbs

Comment

I peeked at his bio and it is an example of different recruiting expectations. Davis was a 3-star recruit in '19 and was the highest ranked player in Pitt's class that year. He was also the highest ranked QB Narduzzi had ever landed at the time. We often scoff at 3-stars unless Bama/tOSU/etc also make offers.

Comment

Evers wasn’t just bad in that spring game. He was awful. It wasn’t just about that game though. Gabe and Teddy on the Oklahoma Breakdown are pretty objective especially when it comes to our guys. They were talking about how bad he’d looked in practice even before the spring game. It’s not personal.
                                                                    And I'm sure he will have ZERO improvement. He won't grow, or learn or develop. Prolly just go ahead and cut him loose. Just a shitty ol' 4 Star. Good lord. I guess off season gonna off season though.

Comment

Originally posted by R.D. Mercer View Post
                                                                      QB isn’t going to be at the level we have enjoyed for so long for quite a while. This team is going to be built completely different than any OU team has been since 2005 and that’s not a bad thing. Just different than what we have come to expect. UGA and tOSU won NCs recently with nobody’s at QB.
                                                                      We’re not going to have nobodies. We might not have a no 1 pick every year, but we’ll have plenty of talent.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBornSoonerBrett View Post

And I'm sure he will have ZERO improvement. He won't grow, or learn or develop. Prolly just go ahead and cut him loose. Just a shitty ol' 4 Star. Good lord. I guess off season gonna off season though.
                                                                        No worries. We just landed a previous 3-star who was buried on the Pitt roster to bail us out.

Comment

If Nick Evers develops into a serviceable quarterback, I’ll gladly eat my words. That said, I’m willing to bet he hits the portal after the 2022 season.

Comment

No worries. We just landed a previous 3-star who was buried on the Pitt roster to bail us out.
                                                                            He was #3 QB in 2021

Comment

#39

Guy may have been a 3*, but his film isn’t bad and he’s a veteran. He’s also big and gives another option in short yardage.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

He was #3 QB in 2021
                                                                                I consider #3 buried at the QB position and I'm talking about now - after Pickett left. Kedon Slovis transferred in and was ahead of Beville along with Nick Patti. I'm sure Lebby has the inside info on this guy and there is a good reason to take him. There is just no glaring public news to call this a steal that I see.

Comment

#41

jackson arnold is definitely going to get his chance , so will Rucker and Evers and others.

Comment

#42

Guy may have been a 3*, but his film isn’t bad and he’s a veteran. He’s also big and gives another option in short yardage.
                                                                                    Maybe the GA watching the portal got confused when BV said we needed QB depth, and he thought he said QB height.
                                                                                    Last edited by Velo Sooner; 05-09-2022, 04:53 PM.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Doom and gloom!
                                                                                      why is an objective board discussion doom and gloom? what do you want to discuss? meteors coming in ?

Comment

#44

If Gabriel goes down, we’ll be leaning on the defense to limp through the rest of the Big 12 slate and a bowl. Assuming he leaves, we’ll be looking in the portal then. Not many proven OU-caliber QBs looking to transfer to sit for possibly two years. We don’t have a QB whisperer stacking 5*s anymore. But we will probably complete more than half our passes in the month of November this year.
                                                                                        yes but how good is our ex coach as a QB whisperer ? i agree he is a flashy and effective recruiter . but what has Lincoln done to improve Rattler ?
                                                                                        Lincoln interited 2 heisman winners ( baker and kyler) . and benefited from a proven one in Hurts. we have 3 QBs who fled and did better after leaving (Tanner and Morris). And we saw how Hurts was so limited against LSU.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          I like this take, and agree wholeheartedly. Four-stars are for chumps. Five stars are nothing. This is Oklahoma, we don't even settle for six- or seven-stars!

By god, if Brent doesn't sign some 8-star recruits pretty damn quick I think we should fire him.

Comment

#46

I consider #3 buried at the QB position and I'm talking about now - after Pickett left. Kedon Slovis transferred in and was ahead of Beville along with Nick Patti. I'm sure Lebby has the inside info on this guy and there is a good reason to take him. There is just no glaring public news to call this a steal that I see.
                                                                                            No, we didn't get a 4 star in, but we did get a smart kid who was regarded about as Sam was when he got here.

I'll take that

Comment

#47

who is that ?

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Basel90 View Post

who is that ?
                                                                                                Davis Beville

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Brent said he needed depth at qb. Brent goes out and gets QB depth. Fans shit on depth because it's not a 4 or 5 star. Crazy.
                                                                                                  Last edited by AdonijahAijalon; 05-09-2022, 05:20 PM.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post
                                                                                                    Brent said he needed depth at qb. Brent goes out and gets QB depth. Fans shit on depth because it's not a 4 or 5 star. Crazy.
                                                                                                    What you call shit, I call yanking some chains.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1