First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 SEC Rivalries That Will Flourish After OU and Texas Join The SEC

Here are 8 SEC rivalries that will flourish after Texas football, Oklahoma join | Toppmeyer

Blake Toppmeyer
    USA TODAY NETWORK

I still haven’t gotten over the last round of conference realignment.

The SEC was just more than a year into being a 14-team conference when I began covering the league in 2013.

I can tell you, the addition of Texas A&M made the conference stronger, the addition of Missouri made it colder; and beyond the SEC’s borders, things got wonky.

Geography became irrelevant.

Nebraska and Rutgers, separated by nearly 1,300 miles, joined the same conference. That’s an easy road trip compared to the nearly 1,500 miles you’d need to cover to get from Texas Tech to its now conference mate, West Virginia.

Conference names became misnomers. The Big Ten features 14 teams, the Big 12 houses 10 and the Western Athletic Conference includes a school from Chicago.

Worse, rivalries got disrupted.

Realignment even tarnished Thanksgiving. Texas vs. Texas A&M, usually played on the holiday or Black Friday, was one of my favorite rivalries. The teams haven’t met since 2011.

That rivalry will resume after Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC in 2025 as the conference grows to 16 teams.

Unlike the last round of SEC expansion, this one will restore lost rivalries, build new ones, and a restructured conference scheduling format will increase the frequency with which certain current SEC members meet, enhancing rivalries.

Here are eight rivalries that will benefit from OU and Texas joining the conference.
    Alabama vs. Oklahoma

This isn’t a rivalry yet, but these are two iconic brands.

They’ve met six times, most recently in 2018, when Alabama beat the Sooners in the Orange Bowl, a playoff semifinal.

It’s unclear how often these teams will meet. Likely, it won’t be on an annual basis, but SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey has vowed that no teams will go as long between matchups in the expanded conference as some do now. Currently, SEC teams in opposite divisions can go up to seven years between matchups.

If the SEC eliminates divisions, Alabama and OU could play as frequently as every two years. At worst, they’d likely meet once every four years, if the SEC elects for eight-team divisions, with Alabama and OU on opposite sides.

The two programs combine to claim 25 national championships.

Alabama vs. Oklahoma would show the soul of college football.

Texas A&M vs. Texas

More than a decade apart will not have cooled this rivalry. Just the opposite.

The Aggies will be boiling over Texas’ presence in the SEC and eager to prove they’re little brother no more. The Longhorns will want to show they still rule the state.

Please, schedule-makers, designate this an annual Thanksgiving week matchup.

Alabama vs. Georgia

The SEC now has twin powers, thanks to Georgia’s rise. The Bulldogs recemented this series as a rivalry by beating Alabama in the national championship.

Four of their past five matchups have occurred in either the SEC Championship Game or College Football Playoff, but the teams will meet more during the regular season following expansion.

And it's easy to envision those meetings usually featuring a pair of top-five teams.

Arkansas vs. Texas

Many Arkansas fans consider Texas to be the school’s top rival, according to Razorbacks coach Sam Pittman, despite the fact that, before last September, the teams hadn’t met since 2014. But this rivalry dates to the 19th century, and the teams used to clash annually as Southwest Conference members.

Some football fans still mourn the SWC’s demise, and getting these teams together more regularly will be a welcome throwback to that era.

Auburn vs. Florida

The Florida Panhandle houses plenty of Auburn fans, and this was once a sneaky good rivalry that got somewhat overshadowed by the Iron Bowl and Sunshine Showdown.

Even after the SEC split into divisions in 1992 – Florida went to the East, and Auburn entered the West – these teams continued to meet annually through 2002. However, the SEC eventually decreased from two designated interdivision rivals to one. Annual installments of AU-UF became a casualty.

After the league expanded to 14 teams, the rivalry became mostly a memory.

The fire should be rekindled once the teams meet more often after expansion produces a schedule reconfiguration. Their 2019 game – a sellout at The Swamp – showed an appetite remains for this rivalry.

Ole Miss vs. Tennessee

As long as Lane Kiffin is Ole Miss' coach, this matchup will bring sizzle.

Vols fans either became so inebriated or incensed by the Rebels, Kiffin and the officiating during last year’s game that they pelted the field with debris in protest. One fan even chucked a golf ball from the stands at Kiffin, the polarizing former Vols coach.

This series simply requires more frequent tee times, which will occur after expansion.

This matchup will be especially important to Memphians. That battleground city is marked by a notable presence of Vols and Rebels fans.

LSU vs. Texas

Like Oklahoma-Alabama, these teams have limited history, but the ingredients exist for a rivalry.

LSU fans spill into Texas. Longhorns fans have a presence in Louisiana.

Plus, Austin has a dining scene that rivals delicious Cajun food, so even if the football doesn’t deliver, the food always will in this series.

Tennessee vs. Auburn

The Vols have no shortage of rivals, a list that includes Alabama, Florida, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Auburn belonged in the conversation, too, before the SEC’s shift into divisions in 1992 interrupted these teams from playing annually.

Bruce Pearl coaching Auburn basketball makes this a natural hoops rivalry, and the football rivalry would be enhanced by more frequent meetings.

I predict Texas, Arkansas, Missouri and OU in a pod playing annually. A second western pod would be A&M, LSU, and the 2 Mississippis. In the east would be Pod 3; maybe Kentucky, Tennessee, Vandy, and South Carolina. Pod 4 could be Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn. There could be other variations including aTm with us instead of Missouri. I hope not just so texASS and aTm would meet in every 3rd and 4th year-home and away-to keep their rivalry generally irrelevant and the Red River at the top. Arkansas going up against OU and Texas annually should be a great rivalry-even if OU-Arky is one sided like OU and The Pokes. For me, traveling to Fayetteville is a quicker drive than going to Norman. I really hope the league decides to go with 4 pods so we see every team in the SEC in Norman on a consistent basis. If it is going to be divided into two divisions with only 2 inderdivisional games a year, it will be a boring schedule like the Big XII.

My question is how would the two teams determined for the conference championship game if there were four pods. Tie breakers galore, I guess. Any ideas?
    Last edited by MichSooner; 05-09-2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MichSooner View Post
      I predict Texas, Arkansas, Missouri and OU in a pod playing annually. aTm could be in this pod instead of Missouri. I hope not just so texASS and aTm would meet in every 3rd and 4th year-home and away-to keep their rivalry generally irrelevant and the Red River at the top. Arkansas going up against OU and Texas annually should be a great rivalry-even if OU-Arky is one sided like OU and The Pokes. For me, traveling to Fayetteville is a quicker drive than going to Norman. I really hope the league decides to go with 4 pods so we see every team in the SEC in Norman on a consistent basis.

My question is how would the two teams determined for the conference championship game if there were four pods. Tie breakers galore, I guess. Any ideas?
      I think they will keep Texas and A&M in separate pods as well in order to respect the Aggies wish to keep their "identity" separate from Texas. My guess is the 2 teams with the best overall records would play in the SEC Championship Game and there will be a series of tiebreakers in the event of a tie.

Comment

Aggy wishes being respected is very important to the SEC

Comment

OU-LSU annual thanksgiving holiday game will be right up there with Alabama-Auburn and ahead of OSU-Michigan. The SEC will dominate rivalry weekend.

Comment

OU playing Hog will end up being a big game; Particularly in the Tulsa area. And as ate up with OU has Hog already is....it will have some big time intensity from the get go. It will be interesting if OU fans (outside of Tulsa and eastern Oklahoma) develop and enmity for the Pigs. Right now I don't think OU fans really care to much about them.

Comment

SEC Teams ass I want kick in this particular order

1. Texas [email protected]
              2. Texas @ggs
              3. LSU
              4. Florida
              5. Georgia
              6. Alabama
              7. Tennessee
              8. Arkansas

Comment

Quit calling them pods. Divisions is perfectly fine. Nobody, except maybe soccer, uses the term 'pods'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                  OU playing Hog will end up being a big game; Particularly in the Tulsa area. And as ate up with OU has Hog already is....it will have some big time intensity from the get go. It will be interesting if OU fans (outside of Tulsa and eastern Oklahoma) develop and enmity for the Pigs. Right now I don't think OU fans really care to much about them.
                  I think any of the very few OU fans that attended the OU-Arkansas basketball game in Tulsa this past season saw how much this will mean to the Arkansas people.

Comment

Agreed. This will be the new OSU rivalry. It'll be the Hog Super Bowl, while OU fans (especially in the 405 and 580) won't care until the first time Arkansas wins. Meanwhile, in the other sports, where Arkansas spends money and competes well, they'll take pride in beating OU as much as possible.

You think OSU fans are insufferable...they don't hold a candle to the Pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by johnintx View Post

Agreed. This will be the new OSU rivalry. It'll be the Hog Super Bowl, while OU fans (especially in the 405 and 580) won't care until the first time Arkansas wins. Meanwhile, in the other sports, where Arkansas spends money and competes well, they'll take pride in beating OU as much as possible.

And Razorback Stadium is a MUCH Louder and more difficult place to play with 78000 on top of you than rinky dink Boone Pickens Stadium is...

Comment

This is where I see real potential for a new rivalry also. I grew up in the Tulsa TV market and Arkansas gets just as much media coverage as the Sooners in Green Country. In fact, I can remember when Bama would travel through Tulsa to get to Fayetteville because of its odd location/proximity(I don’t think they have to do that now)I could see this game turning into something huge, though I doubt in a pod system they would play every year.(I think OU will be in a pod with Missouri, whorns, and aggies)

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBeachBum68 View Post

This is where I see real potential for a new rivalry also. I grew up in the Tulsa TV market and Arkansas gets just as much media coverage as the Sooners in Green Country. In fact, I can remember when Bama would travel through Tulsa to get to Fayetteville because of its odd location/proximity.
                          Auburn still stayed in Tulsa up thru Malzahn's tenure.

Comment

I suggest two pods in each division. Play the other three teams in your pod, with one of those at a neutral site (OU-uT in Dallas, Bama-Auburn in Birmingham, UGa-UF Atlanta and A$M-LSU in New Orleans). Then play two rotating opponents from each of other divisions That’s seven games. The eighth conference game would be final game of the regular season against opponent from other pod in the division with acorresponding
                            record. Everyone plays to establish the final season standings. The top teams from the two divisions would then play ina conference championship game. Everyone would also schedule three nonconference games with top two playing on 12 total games.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
                              Quit calling them pods. Divisions is perfectly fine. Nobody, except maybe soccer, uses the term 'pods'.
                              So, is it Eastern and Western Conference. Western conference Northern Division of OU, Arky, Misery, and Texass and Southern Division of Aggie, LSU, One Mississippi and Two Mississippi?
                              And the Eastern Conference with the North Division of Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina and the South Division of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida?

Or are they the Leaders and the Legends?

If it is not divided into groups of four where each team plays the other 3 teams in its division annually and two teams from each of the other three divisions (pods) annually, the schedule is going to really suck for football.
                              Last edited by MichSooner; 05-09-2022, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I want Bama to be one of/the permanent opponent outside whatever division/pod we’re in. That article kind of hits the nail on the head with point 1. I think Texas is a given, but I think OU/Bama could be a new OU/Neb one day. Just a good old fashioned respectful rivalry. It’s an aspect of our fandom that I miss.

Comment

For the younger folks on here, let me say that Hog has a RABID fanbase that will travel to Norman like the Chinese army. I can still vividly remember in the Southwest Conference days, Hog fans rolling down I-30 toward Austin by the hundreds. Cars all painted up with shoe polish, Hog flags on their antennae.

those folks is crazy for that team!

Comment

Originally posted by johnintx View Post

As someone that grew up in Eastern Oklahoma I have a healthy disdain for those knuckle dragging, window licking, sister fuckers known as Hawg Fans. I have OSU fans in my family….we don’t allow Hawg Fans. I’m not joking.

They aren’t far off from the Geaux Tiger tards further south.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel O’Truth View Post
                                      I suggest two pods in each division. Play the other three teams in your pod, with one of those at a neutral site (OU-uT in Dallas, Bama-Auburn in Birmingham, UGa-UF Atlanta and A$M-LSU in New Orleans). Then play two rotating opponents from each of other divisions That’s seven games. The eighth conference game would be final game of the regular season against opponent from other pod in the division with acorresponding
                                      record. Everyone plays to establish the final season standings. The top teams from the two divisions would then play ina conference championship game. Everyone would also schedule three nonconference games with top two playing on 12 total games.
                                      Auburn will burn down their university and commit suicide before they EVER play Alabama in Birmingham again.

Comment

I will miss the sad paddlers

Comment

Originally posted by LT-OU View Post
                                          I want Bama to be one of/the permanent opponent outside whatever division/pod we’re in. That article kind of hits the nail on the head with point 1. I think Texas is a given, but I think OU/Bama could be a new OU/Neb one day. Just a good old fashioned respectful rivalry. It’s an aspect of our fandom that I miss.
                                          Neither team would ever agree to that

Comment

I don't think that will happen. I don't think there will be any permanent, crossover games. If they go to four divisions or pods, we will play our group annually. Then 2 teams each season from each of the other 3 groups-home and away. Then in year 3 and 4, move onto a home and away with the other two teams from each group. Under that scenario, we would see Alabama in maybe year 1 at home and year 2 in Tuscaloosa. In years 3 and 4, we would not play them. In years 5 and 6, Alabama would be back on the schedule. So, on a regular cycle, we would have LSU, aTm, Vandy and the Vols, Bama and Auburn, Florida, SC, Kentucky, and the 2 Mississippi's. Within our little group of four, we would alternate home and away with Arky and Misery and play Texas at the Cotton Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by LakelandSooner View Post

Neither team would ever agree to that
                                              I can’t think of a reason why

Comment

I can’t think of a reason why
                                                A built-in end-of-season loss for 1 of the participants...

Comment

I think Bama and OU are more likely to meet more often in SECCG's than in the regular season. In time, it will likely replace Bama/Florida as the most common matchup in that game.

Comment

Originally posted by OB2.0 View Post

As someone that grew up in Eastern Oklahoma I have a healthy disdain for those knuckle dragging, window licking, sister fuckers known as Hawg Fans. I have OSU fans in my family….we don’t allow Hawg Fans. I’m not joking.

They aren’t far off from the Geaux Tiger tards further south.
                                                    And that's what makes a rivalry great. lol

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

A built-in end-of-season loss for 1 of the participants...
                                                      Ok, I’ll rephrase- I can’t think of a reason why that isn’t chicken shit.

Comment

Ok, I’ll rephrase- I can’t think of a reason why that isn’t chicken shit.
                                                        Neither team wants a built in loss 1 week before SECCG & a shot at CFP birth…
                                                        Besides, Alabama plays Auburn at end of season, OU likely gets Arky or Mizz…

Comment

I have no personal experience with Arkansas fans. Do we have a bigger target on us in Fayetteville than LSU as soon as we walk in the door? It doesn’t seem like we should. Just not a lot of recent history. Sure, anytime a ranked team from a neighboring state comes in, it’ll be a good atmosphere. But we’re comparing to an in-state program that relies on OU to sell season tickets and is on the wrong end of a very long and lopsided record. They don’t have anyone else to hate the way Arkansas has LSU.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                                            I have no personal experience with Arkansas fans. Do we have a bigger target on us in Fayetteville than LSU as soon as we walk in the door? It doesn’t seem like we should. Just not a lot of recent history. Sure, anytime a ranked team from a neighboring state comes in, it’ll be a good atmosphere. But we’re comparing to an in-state program that relies on OU to sell season tickets and is on the wrong end of a very long and lopsided record. They don’t have anyone else to hate the way Arkansas has LSU.
                                                            It's an odd thing and something I don't think I would have ever noticed had I not had a two year stint in Poteau and had to do a lot of work in the Ft. Smith area. And I do know that Tulsa people see this some as Tulsa for a long time was the main place for Hog graduates to get jobs outside the state of Arkansas.

Pig fans just have a seething hate for OU. They are kind of like a family who is developed jealousy for their next door neighbor over a few decades because the neighbors have a kid (OU football) that is a really super high achiever. While the first family's kids are great and hold their own (Arkie athletics), they are always being shown up by the big dog neighbor kid who is always in the spotlight.

It's strange but it is very real and is palpable if you get around Hog fans.

Comment

OU vs Arkansas or Missouri is not the same as OU-LSU. If the SEC is smart they will create a Thanksgiving OU-LSU game. I would argue it will be a bigger draw than Alabama-Auburn except in the state of Alabama. No non OU or Arkansas fan will get excited about OU vs Arkansas.

Comment

Originally posted by amtc View Post
                                                                OU vs Arkansas or Missouri is not the same as OU-LSU. If the SEC is smart they will create a Thanksgiving OU-LSU game. I would argue it will be a bigger draw than Alabama-Auburn except in the state of Alabama. No non OU or Arkansas fan will get excited about OU vs Arkansas.
                                                                That won't happen. Not sure why this is so hard for some of you to figure out. You can't look at it as a fan.

Comment

Give him a break, He's probably in his early 20's and eats Tide-Pods.

Comment

well there went that idea out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Longcrawler View Post

well there went that idea out the window.
                                                                      Yeah, the SEC isn't smart. They just dumb lucked their way into being the greatest conference in college sports...

Comment

Originally posted by Bustarime View Post

For the younger folks on here, let me say that Hog has a RABID fanbase that will travel to Norman like the Chinese army. I can still vividly remember in the Southwest Conference days, Hog fans rolling down I-30 toward Austin by the hundreds. Cars all painted up with shoe polish, Hog flags on their antennae.

those folks is crazy for that team!
                                                                        I went to the cotton bowl in the early 2000's when we played Arkie. Probably the most boring game I've ever been to and it was freezing. But, other than OU's defense practically murdering Matt Jones, the one thing I remember is the group of Arkansas fans sitting near us that were wearing mumu's and pig noses. These were men, I think. It was weird.

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

Neither team wants a built in loss 1 week before SECCG & a shot at CFP birth…
                                                                          Besides, Alabama plays Auburn at end of season, OU likely gets Arky or Mizz…
                                                                          I get it. I just don’t like it. Also, I think we all know we’re moving into a world where an extra loss won’t mean shit.

LSU in 2007 showed a team with 2 losses can win the title.

Comment

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

Yeah, the SEC isn't smart. They just dumb lucked their way into being the greatest conference in college sports...
                                                                              I mean, yeah? The SEC footprint simply has the most NFL athletes per capita and, uh, they probably shouldn't be so proud of that. For most of CFB history, the South didn't fully convert that advantage, but sports science, development at the high school level, and quality recruiting evaluation have worked their way into every little backwater over the last 10-20 years and that's made the gap impossible to close for other regions.

Also the PAC would have something to say about "college sports." They're pretty serious about racking up titles in stuff nobody cares about.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Thulsa Doom View Post
                                                                                I will miss the sad paddlers

"What's going on there?"

"I don't know hahahahaha."

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

I mean, yeah? The SEC footprint simply has the most NFL athletes per capita and, uh, they probably shouldn't be so proud of that.
                                                                                  What's being alluded to here is 400 years of eugenics resulting in the single most densely concentrated region of athletic talent in the country. Not sure I would call it dumb luck, but the SEC is certainly benefitting now from the most shameful period in this country's history.

The South, so it seems, has risen again.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by CalSOONER View Post

What's being alluded to here is 400 years of eugenics .

Did you all ever think of the changing demographics of some of the other rich high school athletes suited for football like California and Texas and deep south Florida?

Did you all ever think that there is less of a focus on football and a larger focus on other activities and sports? Illinois and New York have larger population and few recruits as an example.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      I think Arky is going to be the new Poke as far as OU is concerned. I mean, they might be slightly more successful than the Pokes against OU but slightly more successful is still OU’s whipping boy. And they’ve got the same little brother mentality. At least we won’t have to sell out their stadium for them.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

Did you all ever think of the changing demographics of some of the other rich high school athletes suited for football like California and Texas and deep south Florida?

Did you all ever think that there is less of a focus on football and a larger focus on other activities and sports? Illinois and New York have larger population and few recruits as an example.
                                                                                        I think the larger point here is that the southern teams were the most resistant to integration yet the main reason that they are good in football now is that the rest of the country forced them to integrate and they are now reaping the benefits of the very thing they resisted for all those years. If the SEC had integrated in the 1950s or 1960s they would have been as dominant then as they are now.

Comment

#45

I think the larger point here is that the southern teams were the most resistant to integration yet the main reason that they are good in football now is that the rest of the country forced them to integrate and they are now reaping the benefits of the very thing they resisted for all those years. If the SEC had integrated in the 1950s or 1960s they would have been as dominant then as they are now.
                                                                                          and NOTHING I just posted is a variable?

Comment

#46

Look at the demographics of the deep south, including Florida. Despite earlier migrations to the Chicago, Detroit and New York industrial centers, a huge amount of African Americans remained in the south and their population is more concentrated there.

Your point is not completely without merit, however. But if you believe it to be the only -- or even prevailing -- reason, you are dense.

Comment

#47

and NOTHING I just posted is a variable?
                                                                                              1. I'm going to help you a little with reading comprehension here. He said the LARGER point. That does not in any way imply that nothing you posted is a variable.

2. As I mentioned in my previous response your point has merit. But i agree with Ruprecht, and to argue to the contrary is at best naive and possibly crossing the boundary into disingenuous.

Comment

#48

But if you believe it to be the only -- or even prevailing -- reason, you are dense.

and to argue to the contrary is at best naive and possibly crossing the boundary into disingenuous.
                                                                                                I want you to consider that your entire premise is that a child from the south or the southeast United States is somehow genetically predisposed to be a better football player than say, a child born in Illinois.

That was the LARGER (which measures size - as opposed to "more relevant") point?

I was unaware that genes even recognized geo-political boundaries let alone morphed by them.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  OU-LSU annual thanksgiving holiday game will be right up there with Alabama-Auburn and ahead of OSU-Michigan. The SEC will dominate rivalry weekend.
                                                                                                  Far more people watch OSU-Michigan than Alabama-Auburn.

OSU-Michigan 2009-2019

Alabama-Auburn 2009-2019

2021 Most Watched Games

Comment

#50

What's being alluded to here is 400 years of eugenics resulting in the single most densely concentrated region of athletic talent in the country. Not sure I would call it dumb luck, but the SEC is certainly benefitting now from the most shameful period in this country's history.

The South, so it seems, has risen again.
                                                                                                    You trying to write a history as fucked up as the topic that it covers?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1