First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MI Sooner View Post

You trying to write a history as fucked up as the topic that it covers?
    Go away, soonergrad-north.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

I want you to consider that your entire premise is that a child from the south or the southeast United States is somehow genetically predisposed to be a better football player than say, a child born in Illinois.

That was the LARGER (which measures size - as opposed to "more relevant") point?

I was unaware that genes even recognized geo-political boundaries let alone morphed by them.

Wow. You cannot possibly be that obtuse. You can't be. No one could be.

It's not that being from the south that makes a child predisposed to being a better football player.

It's genetics that leads to a superior chance at athletic superiority. I emphasize "chance" in order to head off any likely auto-stereotype nonsense argument.

However, the south is home to the largest concentration regionally of that demographic. From the U.S. Census website:

• Of all the people who reported as Black in Census 2000, 54 percent lived in the South, 19 percent lived in the Midwest, 18 percent lived in the Northeast and 10 percent lived in the West.
      Those numbers are not even close, nor are they refutable. The genes don't recognize geopolitical boundaries. The gene are where they are, and more than half of that demographic are in the south.

As for your "larger" argument, that was pure, childish inanity. I won't address it.

Comment

Originally posted by CalSOONER View Post
        It's genetics that leads to a superior chance at athletic superiority. I emphasize "chance" in order to head off any likely auto-stereotype nonsense argument.

However, the south is home to the largest concentration regionally of that demographic. From the U.S. Census website:.
        How do you say something racist without actually saying it, for $400 Alex.

Why do they have more of a chance than other children.

Comment

Of course. When the argument heads into a losing spiral, play the racist card. So predictable.

I'm a 30-year-plus Democrat (formerly), a Reagan-era liberal. Racism isn't part of my makeup or credo.

But I'll tell you what is: statistics. Numbers, statistics specifically, tell the story without varnish, prejudice or bias. They may not tell the whole story, but what they do tell is honest and generally irrefutable.

About 71 percent of players in the NFL are people of color. In the NBA, more than 74 percent of players are African Americans.

While it may not tell a simpleton much, it tells me the odds favor a person of color when it comes to achieving athletic success, or at least, the highest level of success in those two sports.

Acknowledging numerical data -- facts -- is not racist. So you can 100 percent ram your allegation of racism up your ass.

Respond when you are prepared to make an adult argument.

Comment

and NOTHING I just posted is a variable?
            Didn't mean to say THAT. But to the fact of the matter is that southern teams are getting rewarded by the very thing they resisted.

Comment

Of course. When the argument heads into a losing spiral, play the racist card. So predictable.

I'm a 30-year-plus Democrat (formerly), a Reagan-era liberal. Racism isn't part of my makeup or credo.

But I'll tell you what is: statistics. Numbers, statistics specifically, tell the story without varnish, prejudice or bias. They may not tell the whole story, but what they do tell is honest and generally irrefutable.

About 71 percent of players in the NFL are people of color. In the NBA, more than 74 percent of players are African Americans.

While it may not tell a simpleton much, it tells me the odds favor a person of color when it comes to achieving athletic success, or at least, the highest level of success in those two sports.

Acknowledging numerical data -- facts -- is not racist. So you can 100 percent ram your allegation of racism up your ass.

Comment

I think he must be a descendent of Jimmy the Greek Snyder. Such a remark led to one of the quickest exits ever from the NFL on CBS.

Comment

Complimenting a superior trait is racism now?

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

Yeah, the SEC isn't smart. They just dumb lucked their way into being the greatest conference in college sports...
                    triggered much?

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
                      This can be domed quickly...

Comment

Physical characteristics whose mean values aren't the same across the world's populations.
                        Last edited by MI Sooner; 05-10-2022, 07:03 PM.

Comment

It's not "people of color," it's people with ancestry in sub-Saharan Africa. You don't see East Asians, North Africans, or Kenyans, for that matter, tearing up the NFL.

Comment

This has gone straight into the toilet.

Comment

Exactly. Some people clearly don't understand what truly constitutes racism.

SJWs absolutely dying to get their panties into a twist.

Comment

Originally posted by MI Sooner View Post

It's not "people of color," it's people with ancestry in sub-Saharan Africa. You don't see East Asians, North Africans, or Kenyans, for that matter, tearing up the NFL.
                                Fair enough.

Be careful, though. That comment just might pull in a racism charge.

Comment

Ehhhh, rabbit-hole, “bad souf, history, southern prejudice” talk…

Back on subject, Texas and ATM playing again in the future will be fun because those Ags have absolutely been highly vociferous of taking TU(Texas) to the woodshed now-a-days. Course Longhorn fans laugh at that, kinda like OU would do if Pokes had joined the SEC and running that mouth. And now OU about to join.

OU and Hawgs will be fun as well. That is a rabid fan base and they are tough. They get beat by the best but they are very physical and will run a team over. They’ve been pretty good and fun to watch lately.

OU and Texas will then, past those 2, will step up to LSU and Bama(from the west).. not to mention the others there.

It will be fun to see what shakes out but it’s pretty much rivalry week every week in the SEC. The fans will be there and I’m sure OU and Texas will reciprocate. Gonna be fun.

Comment

"What's going on there?"

"I don't know hahahahaha."
                                    During the game they came back to "reindeer boy" and Herbstreit could not contain himself. He laughed his ass off from what he was seeing, and couldn't say it on live TV. Funny stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Balko View Post
                                      This has gone straight into the toilet.
                                      Agree.

Don’t seem like most forums outside the SEC(and some of them either) can help themselves from shitting on it re history.

“8 SEC rivalries that will flourish once OU and TX joins”

then goes to the shitter.

Comment

It’s 2022, EVERYTHING is racism. C’mon on!!

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post

Agree.

Don’t seem like most forums outside the SEC(and some of them either) can help themselves from shitting on it re history.

“8 SEC rivalries that will flourish once OU and TX joins”

then goes to the shitter.
                                          Threads go into the shitter at the first mention of race.

Comment

I heard the SEC commissioner doesn't want SEC teams waiting for long periods of time before they play each other so divisions of four teams seems logical to me. If that happens will there be built in rivalries or will there just be a standard rotation? As a fan I think a OU-LSU on thanksgiving weekend is a home run. Playing Arkansas or Missouri on Thanksgiving weekend is a waste of revenue. OU will curb stop both teams more often than not. Similar to OU-OSU. As it is now OU really only has one rivalry game and that is Texas. The rest are one sided in OU's favor. I personally wouldn't mind having Nebraska as a permanent non conference game but I dont see that happening. It would be nice to start off in the SEC with Texas and LSU as our permanent conference rivals.

Comment

Threads go into the shitter at the first mention of race.
                                              Yep. I try to avoid that black hole. No pun intended.

Comment

Yep. I try to avoid that black hole. No pun intended.
                                                Racist post reported.

Comment

Originally posted by FS250 View Post

Racist post reported.
                                                  Thanks.

Comment

Thanks.
                                                    Common joke on this board. Relax I didn't report you.

Comment

Originally posted by FS250 View Post

Common joke on this board. Relax I didn't report you.
                                                      I know man. Common joke on many. I was jk as well. As usual.

Comment

All of you can fuck off or defend your opinions in the Dome. The open board is not an appropriate forum. I started a thread there to finish my points if you wish.

SPOILER

Comment

It’s a bizarre world when someone can share an opinion with some data to back it up and be called a racist but others can make accusations with absolutely no evidence and aren’t even questioned about it (see the California politician who claimed the other party wanted to ban interracial marriage so everyone should vote for his party)
                                                          Last edited by Widescreen; 05-11-2022, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post

It’s a bizarre world when someone can share an opinion with some data to back it up and be called a racist but others can make accusations with absolutely no evidence and aren’t even questioned about it (see the California politician who claimed the other party wanted to ban interracial marriage so everyone should vote democrat)
                                                            It's called trying to keep racial and political discussion off the open board and holding back from furthering the discussion in a forum that is not appropriate for it.

Comment

It's called trying to keep racial and political discussion off the open board ...
                                                              By calling someone a racist.

Bold strategy, Cotton.

Comment

By calling someone a racist.

Bold strategy, Cotton.
                                                                You are right, I shouldn't have posted that. I apologize. I wouldn't appreciate that. I don't think you were being racist nor are you.

I meant to say more that it is heading in a radial direction as a discussion and didn't being here.

Comment

Originally posted by amtc View Post
                                                                  I heard the SEC commissioner doesn't want SEC teams waiting for long periods of time before they play each other so divisions of four teams seems logical to me. If that happens will there be built in rivalries or will there just be a standard rotation? As a fan I think a OU-LSU on thanksgiving weekend is a home run. Playing Arkansas or Missouri on Thanksgiving weekend is a waste of revenue. OU will curb stop both teams more often than not. Similar to OU-OSU. As it is now OU really only has one rivalry game and that is Texas. The rest are one sided in OU's favor. I personally wouldn't mind having Nebraska as a permanent non conference game but I dont see that happening. It would be nice to start off in the SEC with Texas and LSU as our permanent conference rivals.

I agree with you. Not just bc I’m an LSU fan either. LSU / OU has all the makings for an upcoming rivalry. And an annual Thanksgiving weekend game would make it even more special. I’ve heard all the excuses why people here hate LSU, but rarely doesn’t anyone mention the real reason for the hate. In the end, 63-28 and 21-14 are the only reasons that matter, and y’all should be itching for some payback. What better way to get it than playing an annual Thanksgiving game that would rival (and likely surpass) ratings for any other game that weekend? It’s a pure win for college football in general imo.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerMan View Post

I agree with you. Not just bc I’m an LSU fan either. LSU / OU has all the makings for an upcoming rivalry. And an annual Thanksgiving weekend game would make it even more special. I’ve heard all the excuses why people here hate LSU, but rarely doesn’t anyone mention the real reason for the hate. In the end, 63-28 and 21-14 are the only reasons that matter, and y’all should be itching for some payback. What better way to get it than playing an annual Thanksgiving game that would rival (and likely surpass) ratings for any other game that weekend? It’s a pure win for college football in general imo.
                                                                    We all know aggy is your new and natural rival....

Comment

Originally posted by Lazers pew pew pew View Post

We all know aggy is your new and natural rival....
                                                                      Nah. LSU has beat on Aggy since they joined the SEC (8-2). 9 of the last 11. I can’t stand those bastards, but they aren’t our rival. They may view that differently, but most LSU fans will never see it that way.

Comment

Nah. LSU has beat on Aggy since they joined the SEC (8-2). 9 of the last 11. I can’t stand those bastards, but they aren’t our rival. They may view that differently, but most LSU fans will never see it that way.
                                                                        Lol I know. Ever since they left UT and the Big12, they need a daddy to dominate them. It's ingrained in their culture. So now they focus their codependency on yall or Bama

Comment

I don't hate LSU, I hate that we have been taken to the woodshed by them the last couple games! If the SEC keeps two divisions then I can only assume OU and LSU will stay in the West and an annual game will be automatic. The only downside I can see to having the game every year is playoff implications. Every year one team will always have a loss and probably knocked out of the SEC Championship game. As a fan I would love to see the rivalry. We haven't had a thanksgiving rivalry game since we left the Big 8.

Comment

Originally posted by amtc View Post

I don't hate LSU, I hate that we have been taken to the woodshed by them the last couple games! If the SEC keeps two divisions then I can only assume OU and LSU will stay in the West and an annual game will be automatic. The only downside I can see to having the game every year is playoff implications. Every year one team will always have a loss and probably knocked out of the SEC Championship game. As a fan I would love to see the rivalry. We haven't had a thanksgiving rivalry game since we left the Big 8.
                                                                            Yeah, it’s gonna be tough as nails to make the SECCG. But, with the addition of OU and TexAss, and the inevitable playoff expansion (at some point), a one loss SEC team will be a lock for the CFP. A 2 loss SEC team will likely be a lock as well. The conference is already the best, but with the addition of OU and TexAss, it’s going to be a gauntlet that very few will ever get threw without a loss. So I wouldn’t worry about these potential matchups handing a late season loss to one team. The overall all depth of the SEC, along with playoff expansion, will make room for an extra loss and still be playoff worthy.

Comment

#88

Ok, good selling points, but how likely are the alumni/ fans & boosters in masse, feel the need to allow Texas A&M or Arkansas to be replaced on Thanksgiving weekend with Oklahoma..?
                                                                              I mean we all can assume that A&M/ Texas will most likely renew the Lone Star Showdown or whatever for Thanksgiving, freeing LSU, but would the Tigers rather play Sooners or Hogs..?

Comment

#89
                                                                                Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

Ok, good selling points, but how likely are the alumni/ fans & boosters in masse, feel the need to allow Texas A&M or Arkansas to be replaced on Thanksgiving weekend with Oklahoma..?
                                                                                I mean we all can assume that A&M/ Texas will most likely renew the Lone Star Showdown or whatever for Thanksgiving, freeing LSU, but would the Tigers rather play Sooners or Hogs..?
                                                                                If they want a probable win they will want to play Arkansas. What game will people across the nation want to watch? I guarantee it will be OU-LSU. That game will also generate more revenue. I can only imagine how loud both stadiums will be for that match up.

Comment

#90
                                                                                  Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

I’ll only speak for myself on absolutes, but I’d want to play OU without question. My guess is many LSU fans would feel the same way. My friends and family feel the same way for sure, but who knows what the Tiger message board ramblers would say. Not that I give a single shit about what most of them think anyway!

Comment

#91

You are right, I shouldn't have posted that. I apologize. I wouldn't appreciate that. I don't think you were being racist nor are you.

I meant to say more that it is heading in a radial direction as a discussion and didn't being here.
                                                                                    I appreciate that.

Thank you.

Comment

#92
                                                                                      As far as OU interests

It'll be interesting to see where the OU/Arkansas rivalry goes. It'll be the OSU replacement and it looks like Arkansas is gonna be a really good football program going forward with what he's already done.

Tennessee may be a really fun rivalry. We've already had the history of the Orange Bowl game that OU won in the 60s and the Baker game. But with Josh Heupel there it should be fun to play them every few years. I hope they set it to where you can play all these teams fairly regularly though. That's kinda why I like the pod system but it's still not perfect.

Comment

#93
                                                                                        There was an article in The Athletic today discussing SEC options for scheduling. It's behind a paywall, and I won't copy and paste the whole article.

https://theathletic.com/3306322/2022...exas-oklahoma/

In summary, several options are on the table:
                                                                                        • A nine-game conference schedule, up from eight.
                                                                                        • Dividing into divisions is the most likely option. This would move Alabama and Auburn into the East, and Missouri into the West. However, this would not allow each member to rotate through the conference quickly enough. Example: Georgia still hasn't visited College Station, and A&M is going into its 12th year in the conference. The schools would like to have conference opponents rotate more quickly. The ideal is to play every other school at least twice in a four year period.
                                                                                        • Four divisions of four teams each
                                                                                        • Four-team pods for scheduling purposes, with standings in order of 1 through 16
                                                                                        • A 3-6 or 4-5 scheduling arrangement in a 9 game conference schedule. Each team would have 3 permanent rivals and 6 games with rotating opponents, or 4 permanent rivals and 5 games with rotating opponents.
                                                                                        They would like to have a plan finalized by next month's SEC meetings.
                                                                                        Last edited by johnintx; 05-11-2022, 08:46 PM.

Comment

#94
                                                                                          Originally posted by NickZepp84 View Post
                                                                                          As far as OU interests

It'll be interesting to see where the OU/Arkansas rivalry goes. It'll be the OSU replacement and it looks like Arkansas is gonna be a really good football program going forward with what he's already done.
                                                                                          It makes sense for Arkansas to be the new rival. They're next door, and we've played maybe 10 times in 127 years. We've played 3 times in the last 50 years, all in bowl games. It depends on how the SEC decides to schedule.

If we divide into divisions, we'll play them every year for sure.

If we go to a pod system, we'll probably end up with them, unless the SEC creates an ex-Big 12 pod of OU, Missouri, Texas, and Texas A&M. A&M would scream in that scenario.

If we go to a system with 3 or 4 permanent rivals, all bets are off. Arkansas has a bunch of existing rivals they'd probably ask for before they got to us. They have histories with Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, and Ole Miss, for sure. Missouri is also next door. But, under this system, the SEC would like for each school to play every other school at least twice every four years, so it's not like we'd have to wait 8 years to play them.

The two teams I expect to see every year are Texas and Missouri. Texas, because they're our blood rival and ESPN is paying the SEC for us to be together; and Missouri, because of our history in the Big 8/12, their status as an SEC outlier, and both of our locations. Every other school is on the table, depending on how the SEC accommodates existing rivalries.

Comment

#95
                                                                                            I have no idea how the divisions and/or pods may work out. I favor "pods," by the way, because the term really pisses off Mazeppa. Anyway, I assume there will be considerable amounts of politicking within the SEC about scheduling "every season" opponents/rivals.

Comment

#96
                                                                                              Wasn't LSU treated poorly in Austin a few yrs ago? And Covid-1984 prevented the return game, so we'll never know how a horn visit to BR would have gone. Maybe the seeds for a new rivalry?

Not looking fwd to OU-Arky. Any Sooner fan that lived thru the disastrous 1978 Orange Bowl (and lived in Eastern OK), remembers how insufferable the pig fans can be. Thank goodness the internet hadn't been introduced yet. I've always been interested in seeing an Arky-poke series, just for the enjoyment of watching the two fan bases try to out-jackass each other.

Curious to see how SEC will try to keep Bama-Georgia from playing each other in the regular season much.

Comment

#97
                                                                                                Originally posted by OUwasp View Post
                                                                                                Wasn't LSU treated poorly in Austin a few yrs ago? And Covid-1984 prevented the return game, so we'll never know how a horn visit to BR would have gone. Maybe the seeds for a new rivalry?

Not looking fwd to OU-Arky. Any Sooner fan that lived thru the disastrous 1978 Orange Bowl (and lived in Eastern OK), remembers how insufferable the pig fans can be. Thank goodness the internet hadn't been introduced yet. I've always been interested in seeing an Arky-poke series, just for the enjoyment of watching the two fan bases try to out-jackass each other.

Curious to see how SEC will try to keep Bama-Georgia from playing each other in the regular season much.
                                                                                                LSU and Texas deserve each other. Just saying.

OSU and Arkansas played each other regularly up until the 70's. Most of the games were in Fayetteville or Little Rock. They rarely played in Stillwater. Arkansas was better then, and OSU was worse. I believe they have a home-and-home scheduled in the future..one of those series OSU isn't willing to give up to play OU/OSU in non-conference.

The 1978 Orange Bowl was the second biggest win in their school history, next to their claimed national championship. We've gotten them in two bowl games since, but the Pig people will never forget the '78 Orange Bowl.

As for Bama and Georgia: the only way they'll play every year is if there is a divisional format, and Bama is moved to the East. They'll be separated in both a pod format and a three permanent rival format.

Comment

#98
                                                                                                  Originally posted by OUwasp View Post

They do a pretty good job of that as is. They’ve played each other twice in the regular season since 2008. Course that’s nothing new for many teams schedules over the years re West VS East. Everyone in the west plays each other every year and same for east. But crossover can be many years before a team from the west plays a team from the east and vice versa in the regular season.

It will be interesting to see what format the SEC finalizes for scheduling when it expands with the new additions to 16 teams. Far as trying to keep BAMA/GA from playing each other much in the regular season, which is a good possibility regardless of how scheduling worked in the past, they’ll probably start with not putting them in the same pod or 4 team division(whatever they will call it) if in fact that’s the new format and if the SEC shifts Bama to the East side. If they are both in the East side they will see each other more often but Doubt they’ll be in the same 4 team ______, if the SEC goes to four separate-4 team ______.
                                                                                                  Last edited by SEC; 05-11-2022, 11:10 PM.

Comment

#99

They do a pretty good job of that as is. They’ve played each other twice in the regular season since 2008. Course that’s nothing new for many teams schedules over the years re West VS East. Everyone in the west plays each other every year and same for east. But crossover can be many years before a team from the west plays a team from the east and vice versa in the regular season.

It will be interesting to see what format the SEC finalizes for scheduling when it expands with the new additions to 16 teams. Far as trying to keep BAMA/GA from playing each other much in the regular season, which is a good possibility regardless of how scheduling worked in the past, they’ll probably start with not putting them in the same pod or 4 team division(whatever they will call it) if in fact that’s the new format and if the SEC shifts Bama to the East side. If they are both in the East side they will see each other more often but Doubt they’ll be in the same 4 team ______, if the SEC goes to four separate-4 team ______.
                                                                                                    Pod system is the way to go because you would essentially play everyone home and home within 4 years I think. But not sure how it's really going to go though. You would probably lose regularly scheduled rivalries somewhere in the conference but keep more regional rivals.

Comment

I have no idea how the divisions and/or pods may work out. I favor "pods," by the way, because the term really pisses off Mazeppa. Anyway, I assume there will be considerable amounts of politicking within the SEC about scheduling "every season" opponents/rivals.
                                                                                                      That's probably as good a reason as any. LOL.

But its pretty easy to see that pods could be problematic if a couple of pod winners had identical records and didn't face each other during the year. Then you have some bullshit tie breaker to determine who goes to the SEC championship. And of course there are further complications from that regarding the CFP.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1