X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kopp0e
    replied
    Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

There will not be divisions anymore so it is a moot point.
    The insinuation is SEC may expand in less than 10 years vs keeping this alignment…

Leave a comment:

• soonergrad
    replied
    Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

With all the changes in football NIL & the like, 10 years could look totally different in divisions…
    There will not be divisions anymore so it is a moot point.

Leave a comment:

• kopp0e
    replied
    Originally posted by SEC View Post

Yeah, it’s anyones guess. They trying to figure it out. Will be some happy and some not so happy in the end, I’m sure.

I doubt anyone really cares to be in a pod or whatever it will be called with Bama or Ga, maybe FL couldn’t care less.
    With all the changes in football NIL & the like, 10 years could look totally different in divisions…

Leave a comment:

• SEC
    replied
    Originally posted by Balko View Post

I'm not sure Tennessee would love that arrangement. Josh Heupel has been putting together a pretty good class for 2023.
    Yeah, it’s anyones guess. They trying to figure it out. Will be some happy and some not so happy in the end, I’m sure.

I doubt anyone really cares to be in a pod or whatever it will be called with Bama or Ga, maybe FL couldn’t care less.

Leave a comment:

• Balko
    replied
    More than likey, will be

TU/OU/MO/ATM
    MSU/LSU/AR/MS
    Bama/TN/Vandy/AU
    GA/FL/KY/SC
    I'm not sure Tennessee would love that arrangement. Josh Heupel has been putting together a pretty good class for 2023.

Leave a comment:

• SEC
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSocialGadfly View Post
    At least the Sooners will be able to maintain their storied rivalry with number 8 on this list.
    Funny. And no surprise New England area and Bahwstun folks and figs have 3 on that list.

Leave a comment:

• TheSocialGadfly
    replied
    At least the Sooners will be able to maintain their storied rivalry with number 8 on this list.
    These are the 10 worst fan bases in sports. Take a bow. You're the best of the awful. We'd have an awards ceremony but Miami Heat fans would miss it.

Leave a comment:

• FtwTxSooner
    replied
    Originally posted by SouthForty View Post
    The answer to all this is: PING PONG BALLS
    In a expanded playoff, I’d certainly like the idea of some degree of randomness to reduce the impact of a committee determining all matchups.

Have a pot of seeded teams and unseeded teams and match those up by random draw. Splitting hairs between a 6 and 7 seed just opens the door for manipulation.

Leave a comment:

• SouthForty
    replied
    The answer to all this is: PING PONG BALLS

Leave a comment:

• amtc
    replied
    Originally posted by johnintx View Post

Based on the power dynamics, I'm surprised Texas is moving, too. They controlled the SWC, and they controlled the Big 12. I lean on the rude awakening side. They're in for a rude awakening. I don't think Texas is going to be able to come in and tell Alabama/Georgia/Florida/Tennessee/Auburn, etc. what to do. The power brokers of the SEC have their eyes wide open, and will act accordingly when necessary. Texas is going to have a hard time being simply one of 16 members. But they'll have to figure it out if they want to get paid and be part of the new world of college football.

We rail on A&M because they are a bigger, richer version of Oklahoma State. They have a ton of $$$, but they're still little brother to Texas. We hate Texas with the fire of a thousand suns, but we respect them.
    I have only been on this earth for 54 years but I have traveled most of it and one thing I learned at an early age is that those with money usually have a large voice. Texas and Texas &AM have more money than any other SEC school and they will not be dismissed. To think otherwise is foolish.

Leave a comment:

• johnintx
    replied

I think the SEC will swap A&M and Arkansas because Arkansas will be happy with either pod, while putting A&M in with LSU and the Mississippi schools allows them to keep their identity apart from Texas.
    I go both ways on that one. Does the SEC throw A&M a bone as a price for their support? Or, does the SEC throw A&M into the ex-Big 12 pod as "punishment" for leaking the OU/Texas deal early?

Regardless, we'll be with Texas and Missouri. Texas is a blood rivalry with great financial value to the conference, and we have a long history with Missouri.

Leave a comment:

• soonergrad
    replied
    Originally posted by NickZepp84 View Post

That's relative and you may see a pod overtime get to where all of them are dominant teams in like 10 years. Pods overall won't mean as much if you are playing more games out of your pods than in it. So it really doesn't matter as much. For example on paper right now OU's pod looks pretty weak overall if it's OU/Texas/Arkansas/Missouri. OU's had 10 win seasons most of the last decade but everyone else? Missouri's been irrelevant the last decade. Texas has been awful the last 12 years. Arkansas was awful till last year. And even then they've only had 1 winning record season in conference since 2011. I think of the pods as being closer to geography it's why I would prefer A&M over Missouri but A&M will politic their way out of the Texas pod.
    I wouldn't say that Missouri has been irrelevant the last decade. They have won 2 SEC East titles in the last decade.

Leave a comment:

• soonergrad
    replied

If there are pods, that's probably what they'll be. A&M will fight it, because they won't want to be in a ex-Big 12 pod. But, Arkansas has been in the SEC longer, and they'll take the LSU-Mississippi pod.
    I think the SEC will swap A&M and Arkansas because Arkansas will be happy with either pod, while putting A&M in with LSU and the Mississippi schools allows them to keep their identity apart from Texas.

Leave a comment:

• johnintx
    replied

Your last paragraph, guess that’s where My mind is. To listen(I don’t know other than see what’s happened in history re BIG 12) is what I’ve been seeing or reading. I don’t think it’s a confusing thing, from what I understand and read about this arrogance and caution from ATM fans since they’ve learned TX is coming, to me it looks like TX thinks this is a new playground that they are about to take over with their $$& and prowess. IOW, they’ve already ran their playground in the ground and now have found a new one to take over. They may. TX has pull like not many others. Will be shocking to most of us here if they come in and in 3-4 years tell the SEC teams and fans what’s up and become the big dogs.

But that’s ATM biggest beef…”y’all have no idea how these guys operate! Once they get here, they can have their own network, tell the conference what needs to be done” etc etc.

Like I said, I know y’all rail on ATM, their problem with both schools joining is TX, not OU, and what’s about to happen when they do. I personally think TX is about to get a rude awakening and it’s not from a win/loss standpoint. They been getting that.
    Based on the power dynamics, I'm surprised Texas is moving, too. They controlled the SWC, and they controlled the Big 12. I lean on the rude awakening side. They're in for a rude awakening. I don't think Texas is going to be able to come in and tell Alabama/Georgia/Florida/Tennessee/Auburn, etc. what to do. The power brokers of the SEC have their eyes wide open, and will act accordingly when necessary. Texas is going to have a hard time being simply one of 16 members. But they'll have to figure it out if they want to get paid and be part of the new world of college football.

We rail on A&M because they are a bigger, richer version of Oklahoma State. They have a ton of $$$, but they're still little brother to Texas. We hate Texas with the fire of a thousand suns, but we respect them.

Leave a comment:

• NickZepp84
    replied
    Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post
    The pods need to be balanced. That’s why aTm/LSU/ and 2 Miss should be a pod and OU/tx/Mo/Ar should be a pod.

Every pod needs 2 stronger and 2 weaker teams. 3 strong teams in a Pod doesn’t make sense and it creates a competitive disadvantage.
    That's relative and you may see a pod overtime get to where all of them are dominant teams in like 10 years. Pods overall won't mean as much if you are playing more games out of your pods than in it. So it really doesn't matter as much. For example on paper right now OU's pod looks pretty weak overall if it's OU/Texas/Arkansas/Missouri. OU's had 10 win seasons most of the last decade but everyone else? Missouri's been irrelevant the last decade. Texas has been awful the last 12 years. Arkansas was awful till last year. And even then they've only had 1 winning record season in conference since 2011. I think of the pods as being closer to geography it's why I would prefer A&M over Missouri but A&M will politic their way out of the Texas pod.

Leave a comment:

• SEC
    replied
    Originally posted by FS250 View Post

Oh they're that arrogant. My Aggie relatives and friends don't share the takeover mentality. They're as confused as I am why Texas would leave a conference that bends over backwards for them for one that will laugh in their face when they start issuing demands.

Think Alabama vs Auburn then imagine Texas and Texas A&M. It's pretty damn similar. They HATE each other, Oklahoma and A&M only started playing consistently when the Big 12 was formed and A&M was on the losing end of most of it's games against OU. Most of the Aggies I know respect OU and keep their mouths shut, Texas is fair game though.

They have a point about dealing with Texas controlling things when they were in the Big 12, cause again, Texas owned this conference and ran off both A&M and Nebraska, but they shouldn't have anything to worry about in the SEC.
    Your last paragraph, guess that’s where My mind is. To listen(I don’t know other than see what’s happened in history re BIG 12) is what I’ve been seeing or reading. I don’t think it’s a confusing thing, from what I understand and read about this arrogance and caution from ATM fans since they’ve learned TX is coming, to me it looks like TX thinks this is a new playground that they are about to take over with their $$& and prowess. IOW, they’ve already ran their playground in the ground and now have found a new one to take over. They may. TX has pull like not many others. Will be shocking to most of us here if they come in and in 3-4 years tell the SEC teams and fans what’s up and become the big dogs.

But that’s ATM biggest beef…”y’all have no idea how these guys operate! Once they get here, they can have their own network, tell the conference what needs to be done” etc etc.

Like I said, I know y’all rail on ATM, their problem with both schools joining is TX, not OU, and what’s about to happen when they do. I personally think TX is about to get a rude awakening and it’s not from a win/loss standpoint. They been getting that.

Leave a comment:

• amtc
    replied

Oh they're that arrogant. My Aggie relatives and friends don't share the takeover mentality. They're as confused as I am why Texas would leave a conference that bends over backwards for them for one that will laugh in their face when they start issuing demands.

Think Alabama vs Auburn then imagine Texas and Texas A&M. It's pretty damn similar. They HATE each other, Oklahoma and A&M only started playing consistently when the Big 12 was formed and A&M was on the losing end of most of it's games against OU. Most of the Aggies I know respect OU and keep their mouths shut, Texas is fair game though.

They have a point about dealing with Texas controlling things when they were in the Big 12, cause again, Texas owned this conference and ran off both A&M and Nebraska, but they shouldn't have anything to worry about in the SEC.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Texas in the conference is a problem and the SEC will regret that. Texas is tied with A&M as the richest program in the country and I guarantee they will not take marching orders from Vanderbilt or any other SEC school. I have a lot of Texas and Texas A&M family members and your right, A&M fans dont know much about OU or really care. Texas can go 5-7 and loose to Kansas and talking to their fans you would think they won the National Championship. They are delusional. There boosters are even worse, the SEC doesn't know what they are in for. They also ran off Colorado and Missouri. They ran Arkansas off from the SWC. Ask Arkansas fans how bad Texas is to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• FS250
    replied

I think they ARE that arrogant. I don’t know but the Ags seem to think so and they have warned insurmountable of times this is about what’s about to happen. A takeover, so to speak. They are adamant about it and warn folks from the SEC continuously. I can’t see it but AG never talks about OU, just TX. I don’t think they would be as staunch or upset about OU, it’s TX.

TX had their own network. They have mucho $$$. They are heading into the Mecca of sport’s collegiately. ATM, far as I’ve seen, has No beef with OU, it’s TX they rant about. Make one wonder. I just can’t see them taking over the SEC, even tho many TX posters on tRant says so.

A lot of money in Austin.

Leave a comment:

• amtc
    replied

I think they ARE that arrogant. I don’t know but the Ags seem to think so and they have warned insurmountable of times this is about what’s about to happen. A takeover, so to speak. They are adamant about it and warn folks from the SEC continuously. I can’t see it but AG never talks about OU, just TX. I don’t think they would be as staunch or upset about OU, it’s TX.

TX had their own network. They have mucho $$$. They are heading into the Mecca of sport’s collegiately. ATM, far as I’ve seen, has No beef with OU, it’s TX they rant about. Make one wonder. I just can’t see them taking over the SEC, even tho many TX posters on tRant says so.

A lot of money in Austin. IMO, they ruined that conference with their own network, bullying, etc. Man, if they would have been relevant as far as winning the last few years, it would seem somewhat legit. But way AGs present them, there is no bounds and money is no object. They will have to put it up against many of the SEC teams withLSU, Bama, Ol Miss money for example.

To reiterate, from what I’ve seen regarding ATM and OU, they don’t talk about OU or bad things about OU, it’s all about TX.
    When OU and Texas join the SEC three of the top four richest programs will be former Big 12 teams. Im pretty sure that's why the SEC let us in!

Leave a comment:

• SEC
    replied

This is why I can't grasp why Texas made the move. They get whatever they want in the Big 12. Hell, the conference literally banned the horns down hand gesture because they bitched so much about it. They'll get no favoritism in the SEC. They're that arrogant and egotistical that it comes as no surprise to me that they think they're going to walk in and take charge, but I think they're in for a rude awakening when the SEC doesn't bow down to their demands.

A lot of money in Austin. IMO, they ruined that conference with their own network, bullying, etc. Man, if they would have been relevant as far as winning the last few years, it would seem somewhat legit. But way AGs present them, there is no bounds and money is no object. They will have to put it up against many of the SEC teams withLSU, Bama, Ol Miss money for example.

To reiterate, from what I’ve seen regarding ATM and OU, they don’t talk about OU or bad things about OU, it’s all about TX.
    Last edited by SEC; 05-16-2022, 09:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FS250
    replied

Texas has been the big dogs of the BIG 12 for years, even know they’ve sucked and been beat by OU. They have their own network, money, yada yada. And they are wading in to the SEC with this same mentality they are about to own it..I’ve seen it from posters and the ATM posters have warned ungodly amount of times how the SEC has NEVER seen what’s about to take place when TX joins regarding the money and takeover. Most SEC fans scoff at this but ATM folks, even with the money that’s poured in to that program, expect a takeover by TX and we have NEVER seen anything like what’s about to happen. They don’t even mention OU. Nothing. It’s all about TX.

We will see. I can’t see them bullying most programs in the SEC.
    This is why I can't grasp why Texas made the move. They get whatever they want in the Big 12. Hell, the conference literally banned the horns down hand gesture because they bitched so much about it. They'll get no favoritism in the SEC. They're that arrogant and egotistical that it comes as no surprise to me that they think they're going to walk in and take charge, but I think they're in for a rude awakening when the SEC doesn't bow down to their demands.

Leave a comment:

• SEC
    replied

I agree that no one in the SEC cares what A&M thinks. Behind closed doors, they probably all laugh at the Aggies, but are glad to have the money that comes with being in the state of Texas.

It's hard to explain the Aggie inferiority complex when it comes to Texas. The move to the SEC was their way to stick it to Texas. The UT move to the SEC can be spun a million different ways, but I don't think the Aggies, or at least their athletic boosters, want anything to do with Texas. There's a reason why A&M leaked the OU/UT SEC move a year or two early. They didn't join the SEC to play Texas and OU. They want to play LSU and Alabama.

But, A&M, Mizzou, UT and OU are the new kids on the block. To an extent, Arkansas and South Carolina are, too. Seniority rules.
    Texas has been the big dogs of the BIG 12 for years, even know they’ve sucked and been beat by OU. They have their own network, money, yada yada. And they are wading in to the SEC with this same mentality they are about to own it..I’ve seen it from posters and the ATM posters have warned ungodly amount of times how the SEC has NEVER seen what’s about to take place when TX joins regarding the money and takeover. Most SEC fans scoff at this but ATM folks, even with the money that’s poured in to that program, expect a takeover by TX and we have NEVER seen anything like what’s about to happen. They don’t even mention OU. Nothing. It’s all about TX.

We will see. I can’t see them bullying most programs in the SEC.

Leave a comment:

• SEC
    replied

I agree that no one in the SEC cares what A&M thinks. Behind closed doors, they probably all laugh at the Aggies, but are glad to have the money that comes with being in the state of Texas.

It's hard to explain the Aggie inferiority complex when it comes to Texas. The move to the SEC was their way to stick it to Texas. The UT move to the SEC can be spun a million different ways, but I don't think the Aggies, or at least their athletic boosters, want anything to do with Texas. There's a reason why A&M leaked the OU/UT SEC move a year or two early. They didn't join the SEC to play Texas and OU. They want to play LSU and Alabama.

But, A&M, Mizzou, UT and OU are the new kids on the block. To an extent, Arkansas and South Carolina are, too. Seniority rules.
    Look, ATM and their fans(just read tRant) absolutely hates this move by OU and TU. And know they are about to probably get owned AGAIN by these two programs. They have no delusions, I don’t think, they were always in an uphill battle to win in this conference. Quite the contrary. But at least they got away from that beating to take more and worse.

But NOW, they don’t only get the SEC beating(in which being in the west even know they’ve upgraded in EVERY aspect) they are about to have to recompete with their old foes, much less what they been getting, even after the bump.

So, No, they are Not happy with this. But I am. Hehe

Leave a comment:

• amtc
    replied

I am no Texas A&M fan but they are one of the largest universities in the country. They are an AA school and they have deeper pockets than any other SEC school. I wouldn't dismiss A&M's influence.

Leave a comment:

• FtwTxSooner
    replied
    squealing secrets to the media certainly isn't going to gain aggie any favors from the commissioners office. all of this was made public earlier than anyone wanted because of them.

Leave a comment:

• johnintx
    replied

It just makes sense. And that will be what it will be far as the west. I can about guarantee no one from the commission down cares what ATM has a sore puss about, but don’t be mistaken in thinking “ATM won’t like to be reunited with TU and OU”…they went from the frying pan to the inferno. So it makes no difference. They could be in same pod with LSU and Bama. Not saying that’s a major difference but they are pretty much fucked either way.

Leave a comment:

• SoonerHank
    replied
    The pods need to be balanced. That’s why aTm/LSU/ and 2 Miss should be a pod and OU/tx/Mo/Ar should be a pod.

Every pod needs 2 stronger and 2 weaker teams. 3 strong teams in a Pod doesn’t make sense and it creates a competitive disadvantage.

Leave a comment:

• SEC
    replied

If there are pods, that's probably what they'll be. A&M will fight it, because they won't want to be in a ex-Big 12 pod. But, Arkansas has been in the SEC longer, and they'll take the LSU-Mississippi pod.
    It just makes sense. And that will be what it will be far as the west. I can about guarantee no one from the commission down cares what ATM has a sore puss about, but don’t be mistaken in thinking “ATM won’t like to be reunited with TU and OU”…they went from the frying pan to the inferno. So it makes no difference. They could be in same pod with LSU and Bama. Not saying that’s a major difference but they are pretty much fucked either way.

Leave a comment:

• johnintx
    replied
    More than likey, will be

TU/OU/MO/ATM
    MSU/LSU/AR/MS
    Bama/TN/Vandy/AU
    GA/FL/KY/SC

Leave a comment:

• SEC
    replied
    More than likey, will be

TU/OU/MO/ATM
    MSU/LSU/AR/MS
    Bama/TN/Vandy/AU
    GA/FL/KY/SC

Leave a comment:

• FtwTxSooner
    replied
    My point overall is even if you say well we would cut off Auburn/Georgia. We would also probably cut off other big rivalries in the SEC with any pod schedule which is what you are proposing with 3 teams then rotating everyone else. Even if you don't want to call them pods. There will be rivalries that will be going to every 2 years instead of every year. And not every school in the SEC has more than 3 legit SEC rivals particularly schools like Missouri(too new and haven't really done enough) and Vanderbilt/Kentucky who have always been pretty mediocre. And if you have pod scheduling with a rival you would have to assume every school has a rival outside of the pod that may not be true for everyone.
    Overall, I feel it is still about doing all you can to preserve the strongest annual rivalries. Of course, you can't save them all, but you can do a much better job of it simply going with a set number of dedicated rivals than a pod system. Some still will have a rival left out, others may have had only true rival, but that gives the conference the flexibility to cover the most bases.

Leave a comment:

• NickZepp84
    replied
    My point overall is even if you say well we would cut off Auburn/Georgia. We would also probably cut off other big rivalries in the SEC with any pod schedule which is what you are proposing with 3 teams then rotating everyone else. Even if you don't want to call them pods. There will be rivalries that will be going to every 2 years instead of every year. And not every school in the SEC has more than 3 legit SEC rivals particularly schools like Missouri(too new and haven't really done enough) and Vanderbilt/Kentucky who have always been pretty mediocre. And if you have pod scheduling with a rival you would have to assume every school has a rival outside of the pod that may not be true for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• kopp0e
    replied
    Why stop at 3 teams? OU could pick LSU, TAMU, Texas, Arkansas Tenn, and Bama. Maybe it's best to just go 15 regular season games all againat SEC teams.
    That sounds pretty good, except most SEC teams already have multiple rivalries that will not mesh with Oklahoma "stealing" a slot from say LSU:
    ---

Missouri - Oklahoma/ Arkansas/ South Carolina

Oklahoma - Texas/ Missouri/ LSU

Arkansas - Texas/ Texas A&M/ Ole Miss

Texas - Oklahoma/ Arkansas/ Texas A&M

Texas A&M - Texas/ Arkansas/ LSU

LSU - Alabama/ Auburn/ Florida

Ole Miss - Mississippi State/ LSU/ Arkansas

Mississippi State - Ole Miss/ LSU/ Alabama

Alabama - Auburn/ LSU/ Tennessee

Auburn - Alabama/ LSU/ Georgia

Florida - Georgia/ Tennessee/ *ACC rivalry

Georgia - Florida/ Auburn/ *ACC rivalry

South Carolina - Georgia/ Florida/ *ACC rivalry

Tennessee - Georgia/ Florida/ Alabama

Vanderbilt - Tennessee/ Kentucky/ Ole Miss

Kentucky - Tennessee/ Vanderbilt/ *ACC rivalry

---
    As noted, some ol' guard SEC schools would have to "sign off" on an idea of losing an old foe, to pick up (an annual loss, *cough*) to: Oklahoma...

Leave a comment:

• SEC
    replied
    Why stop at 3 teams? OU could pick LSU, TAMU, Texas, Arkansas Tenn, and Bama. Maybe it's best to just go 15 regular season games all againat SEC teams.
    That’s one of the only things that came out of COVID year, an all SEC schedule. Was pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• NickZepp84
    replied

Leave a comment:

• johnintx
    replied
    Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post

This is where I hope the SEC eventually figures out the best way to go is no pods at all with 3 permanent rivals. Pods are too rigid, works well for some teams in the pod, but not all. A handful of permanent rivals allows this flexibility. No need to have them if you are divisionless.
    Agreed. There are schools that have 3, 4, even 5 teams they would consider rivals. Alabama has a deep history with Tennessee, Auburn, the two Mississippi schools, and LSU. Others, like say South Carolina or Missouri, are newer to the conference, are on the fringe of the conference map, and may have only one or two teams they prefer to play every year. Even Arkansas, the first expansion member (1992), has its choice of six geographic/historic rivals: Texas, A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Missouri, and us.

Leave a comment:

• johnintx
    replied

I can see A&M being in a separate pod from Texas to keep their "individual identity" but playing Texas every year as a permanent rival, similar to Auburn and Georgia.
    That would be a happy compromise between pods and 3 permanent rivals. A&M gets to stay connected with the OG SEC, while agreeing to play Texas to benefit the SEC media deal but not be so closely identified with the old Big 12 that they left. It would also allow Auburn to be in the Alabama/Tennessee pod yet keep the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry with Georgia.
    Last edited by johnintx; 05-16-2022, 04:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Middle Aged Man
    replied
    Sec won't get 3+ teams in a 4 team playoff, cutting their chance at more $. That's his prime motivation, or should be if he's doing his job.

Leave a comment:

• NickZepp84
    replied

This is where I hope the SEC eventually figures out the best way to go is no pods at all with 3 permanent rivals. Pods are too rigid, works well for some teams in the pod, but not all. A handful of permanent rivals allows this flexibility. No need to have them if you are divisionless.
    They need to keep teams playing each other over a short period no matter what it's called. It would suck if a school is down like say Auburn and they play LSU, Georgia, Bama every year for example.

Leave a comment:

• NickZepp84
    replied

Those Pods are correct and you could have one permanent rival still, which would allow Auburn and Georgia to keep playing. The SEC is NOT going to give up this rivalry no matter what. Also, Auburn and LSU are not really big rivals. They did not play that often until the SEC went to divisions in 1992.
    They could put OU/Texas in seperate pods and have them do a rival game.

Leave a comment:

• FtwTxSooner
    replied

Those Pods are correct and you could have one permanent rival still, which would allow Auburn and Georgia to keep playing. The SEC is NOT going to give up this rivalry no matter what. Also, Auburn and LSU are not really big rivals. They did not play that often until the SEC went to divisions in 1992.

Leave a comment:

• soonergrad
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeBeachBum68 View Post

I think they prefer not to be in a ‘Big 12 Redux’ pod, but in the end I think the game is simply too big of a cash cow for the conference and the aggies will drop their objections to it and let it happen.
    I can see A&M being in a separate pod from Texas to keep their "individual identity" but playing Texas every year as a permanent rival, similar to Auburn and Georgia.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeBeachBum68
    replied
    From a whorns source, to take it FWIW. The story is A&M still doesn't want an annual game with the whorns.
    I think they prefer not to be in a ‘Big 12 Redux’ pod, but in the end I think the game is simply too big of a cash cow for the conference and the aggies will drop their objections to it and let it happen.

Leave a comment:

• soonergrad
    replied
    Here's the way I see the pods going if that's where we go.

Bama, Tennessee, Auburn, Vanderbilt in pod 1

OU Texas, Missouri, Arkansas in Pod 2

Texas A&M, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State in Pod 3

Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky in Pod 4

This set up keeps most of your regional rivals every year. If Texas A&M is okay with being in the OU/Texas/Arkansas pod it would be perfect regionally and you could put Missouri in the other pod with LSU/Miss schools.

Is this perfect? No. Auburn loses big rivals like LSU and Georgia every year. Kentucky is cut off from playing Tennessee schools every year which probably makes more sense for them regionally. But if you stick with the 9 conference games and play everyone in the other pods twice over 4 years you play everyone in conference home and home over a 4 year period.

If we stick with divisional set up there's a chance OU doesn't even play a team like say Bama in Norman for another 8 years or so.

Leave a comment:

• RockFlagandEagle
    replied

Text a few folks and made a phone call as well.

Imagine being able to do that!!
    Being able to isn't the issue.

Leave a comment:

• SEC
    replied
    Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

'Out on the town' but posting on an internet message board. Dude's living the life.
    Text a few folks and made a phone call as well.

Imagine being able to do that!!

Leave a comment:

• Slytherin
    replied
    Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

'Out on the town' but posting on an internet message board. Dude's living the life.
    Socali does it all the time.

Leave a comment:

• RockFlagandEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

How you feel this morning? Heh

Leave a comment:

• TigerMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

My biggest beef with soccer? Boring as fuck. Anyone who says baseball or golf is boring has never sat through a 0-0 soccer match. After all that running about you go to a shootout. Just start with the damn shootout and save us all the yawns.

One of my sons was very good at it (played Celtic 90 Black in Norman) and I’ve sat through way more soccer than a person should have to. When we moved to Lex during his high school years I was tickled pink that Lexington didn’t have soccer. He focused on football and basketball and that was groovy with me.
    I hear ya man. I see why some think it’s boring for sure. Not as boring as baseball or golf (that’s just my opinion), but I can still see it that way. When I was playing as a kid, it was never boring. Just a fun game. I quit when was 13-14 to focus purely on wrestling, and then didn’t start following the sport again until about 10 years ago. And it was kind of boring for sure. But for me, when I started paying enough attention to understand the strategy, formations, etc…, it became less boring, even with a scoreless game. As with any sport, when you take time to understand the games within the game, you’ll likely find more interest in it. Again, just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Slytherin
    replied
    Originally posted by TigerMan View Post

Brother, we see eye to eye on a lot of things, but this is not one of them. I like soccer. Mostly the European leagues and international ball, but it’s a great sport. The good ole USA is the odd ball when it comes to soccer. And we’re the only ones that call it soccer anyway. It’s truly football. How the fuck we ever created a sport (the best sport) and called it football when the rest of the world already had a sport called the same is fucking stupid when you think about it. But anyway, it’s the worlds most popular sport. People go fucking nuts for that shit everywhere but here. It’s definitely not gay. Former state champ here! Yeah, I was only 12, but it still counts! lol
    My biggest beef with soccer? Boring as fuck. Anyone who says baseball or golf is boring has never sat through a 0-0 soccer match. After all that running about you go to a shootout. Just start with the damn shootout and save us all the yawns.

One of my sons was very good at it (played Celtic 90 Black in Norman) and I’ve sat through way more soccer than a person should have to. When we moved to Lex during his high school years I was tickled pink that Lexington didn’t have soccer. He focused on football and basketball and that was groovy with me.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
X
UA-124223861-1