Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greg Sankey discusses CFP, claims people 'didn’t take me seriously'

“During expansion talks:

Some folks did not take SEC commissioner Greg Sankey seriously during the recent talks about the College Football Playoff. At least, Sankey believes that to be the case.

During an appearance at the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame museum on Monday, Sankey addressed the failed talks to expand the CFP. He reiterated that the SEC is more than fine staying at four teams as the conference will thrive in that system.

However, Sankey feels that sticking at four teams is unhealthy for the rest of college football:

“We can stay at four. This conference will thrive at four… period,” Sankey said per Nubyjas Wilborn with AL.com. “That’s not healthy for the rest of college football, but we can stay at four.”

Sankey also reflected on the all-SEC national championship game between Georgia and Alabama this past season that resulted in the first national title for the Bulldogs since 1980. In the end, Sankey doesn’t believe people took him seriously when he claimed the SEC is content with the four-team system:

“I was sitting there watching the National Championship, and I thought they just thought I wasn’t serious when I said we can leave it at four,” Sankey said. “People apparently didn’t take me seriously. I don’t think people heard me when I said we are fine with it staying at four.”

With the CFP sticking at four teams through the current contract, the SEC is bound to dominate the current system. It will be interesting to see if – and when – the CFP expands beyond the current contract.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...pansion-talks/
    Last edited by SEC; 05-10-2022, 09:29 PM.

Well, I can see where he is coming from, the SEC will be well represented by one, maybe even 2 teams in the CFP and May well likely have 2 in the NCS game so no problems there, from an SEC standpoint. BUT, staying at 4(because how dominant the SEC is) May not be the healthiest thing for college football. And he’s right. I see many fans from other boards like say, from the PAC, that’s pretty much thrown in the towel in this current format. They can’t compete at the highest level and it has to be terribly frustrating for those fans, especially PROUD fans, say like the Washington Huskies, for example(I’d say USC but they have no fans other than Hollywood on a night out away from the Emmy’s, Lakers or Hefner’s pad or some shit).

So expanding to include more teams WOULD be HEALTHIER for college football as a whole. There’s no way around it. Anyone including here, gets tired of the SEC. There is hope for a few teams like OU, ND, OSU, Clumpson, etc and their fans…but the rest of the country pretty much has NO hope. That’s what’s Sankey is saying. To expand. Not because the SEC NEEDS to.

And the dumbass comments to the article are puzzling…or most are and dumbassery.

Comment

Three of the five conferences have won a NC under the current system and all have played in the playoffs. I am not sure why other conferences are complaining? If they wanted to they could invest in their football program like the SEC did and they will be competitive too. Alabama hasn't had all their success just because they are Alabama, they invested heavily into their program and it has worked well for them and the SEC. As far as Pac 12 fan base allegiance goes, Oregon and Utah have the most loyal fan bases. I also think it will serve the SEC commissioner well to worry about the SEC and not other conferences success. There is no reason to lower standards to allow lesser teams into a playoff. It cheapens the regular season.

Comment

Why do teams/conferences not vote to expand?? Expansion may be the only inroad some of these schools/conferences have to the playoffs and that means more $$ to them and their conferences. Why snub your nose at something that is clearly going to help you? 8 team playoff will be fine, 12 also. With the 8 or 12 team playoff--The entire month of December could be the most epic sports month we have ever seen!!

Comment

There are 5 conferences but 4 playoff spots. Duh!
          The only logical solution is 8 playoff spots: 5 conf champions and 3 at-large. That way the SEC can get a 2nd spot, ND can get a spot, and non-P5 can get a spot. All if deserved, of course. Less playoff games also than 16 teams. jmo

Comment

I think expansion is needed for the sport to survive. Eventually, half the country will stop watching if they think their teams have no shot. I also believe the scheduling model protects certain teams and an expanded playoff would allow everyone a fair shot.

With circular scheduling and no balance on the schedule, the only way to really know who is the best is to have them play on the field. An expanded playoff levels the unbalanced schedule.

Another point, more meaningful payoff games is healthy and better for the fans and the sport. If we’re worried about the number of games played, eliminate cupcake games. Hell, I would rather eliminate noncon games altogether and play more playoff games. Or maybe play fewer noncon games and expand the playoffs. Thats way more interesting and engaging than playing the citadel in November and watching the same 4 teams every year in the CFP.

Comment

A lot is up to the committee. They’re going to have to get more transparent about how they weigh two-loss SEC teams. The SOS gap is going to be larger than it’s ever been. As a CFB purist I don’t ever want to see a 10/11-2 SEC non-champion over a 12-1 P5 champion, but there will now be times when that’s pretty clearly the better team. PAC, ACC, and remaining Big 12 members need to know if they need to be more aggressive in OOC scheduling to be safe at 12-1.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                A lot is up to the committee. They’re going to have to get more transparent about how they weigh two-loss SEC teams. The SOS gap is going to be larger than it’s ever been. As a CFB purist I don’t ever want to see a 10/11-2 SEC non-champion over a 12-1 P5 champion, but there will now be times when that’s pretty clearly the better team. PAC, ACC, and remaining Big 12 members need to know if they need to be more aggressive in OOC scheduling to be safe at 12-1.
                That issue is easily solved, IMO. Win your conference, go to the playoffs. Don't win your conference, go to the Bluebonnet bowl.

Comment

I like four teams. With the exception of having Cincinnati in the playoffs last year the committee has always gotten it right. Why add more teams? Pretty soon we will end up like the NFL and have a 7-9 division champ in the playoffs. No thanks.

If other conferences want a shot then invest in your program. Worked well for the SEC. if you are good you will get a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by frou View Post
                    Why do teams/conferences not vote to expand?? Expansion may be the only inroad some of these schools/conferences have to the playoffs and that means more $$ to them and their conferences. Why snub your nose at something that is clearly going to help you? 8 team playoff will be fine, 12 also. With the 8 or 12 team playoff--The entire month of December could be the most epic sports month we have ever seen!!
                    November would become epic. We call that month, Championship November, for a reason. For the past several years, if we sweep November, we are in the CCG and maybe the 4 team CFP. If the CFP expands to either 8 or 12, then perhaps as many as 20 teams would be scrambling in November to get qualified for the 12 team CFP. That would be 20 super excited fanbases instead of maybe 6-8. with a 4 team CFP. It would change November to November Madness and be great for the game.

Comment

Count me in for one that didn't take Sankey seriously. He steered the CFP committee to expansion to help sell OU and UT to the SEC. Yeah, two SEC teams got to the championship this past year. How often is that going to happen now - especially with SEC finally going to 9 conference games? The 16 team conference is only going to get 1 team in versus 3-5 for a 12 team CFP.

Comment

Same trick.

Comment

For me, the regular season has to mean something, so I’d like to see the CFP expand to no more than 8 teams. With NIL and the portal, it’s already too much like the NFL and I hate that, so 8 teams would be perfect for me. I also don’t want to see P5 conference champs as automatic qualifiers. Again, too much like the NFL. The goal should always be to put the best teams in the playoff, so I wouldn’t want to see a 3-4 loss team in the playoffs just bc they won their conference. Maybe conference champs with the stipulation of having to be ranked in the top 12 (or something like that). I guess they could throw a bone to the G5 and have their highest ranked team get an automatic bid. But again, only if that team won their conference and is ranked within the top 12 or 15. Something like that anyway.

Expanding to 8 teams still keeps a high level of importance on the regular season, and would most likely remove any 3 loss team from consideration. How many 3 loss teams would honestly be deserving anyway? The SEC would likely be the only conference (after the addition of OU / TexAss) that a 3 loss team would get any consideration anyway. I’d Eliminate at least one OOC game and go back to an 11 game regular season + CCG. Three rounds of playoffs would keep the season at 15 games at most, which is what it is now. As a byproduct, you’d have more of the meaninglessness non playoff bowl games on playoff days to give us something to watch before the big games, and it would likely keep a more engaged national audience. Yeah, some of these thoughts need to be tweaked, but something as close to this as possible is what would be most compelling for me personally.

Comment

Never have understood the urge to make college football more NFL- like. As a fan why would you want to see this sport become a defacto minor / developmental league for the NFL? Big money just sucks the joy out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBurglar View Post
                              Never have understood the urge to make college football more NFL- like. As a fan why would you want to see this sport become a defacto minor / developmental league for the NFL? Big money just sucks the joy out of the game.
                              College football has been a defacto minor / developmental league for the NFL since the NFL was formed.
                              Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

College football has been a defacto minor / developmental league for the NFL since the NFL was formed.
                                The wafer thin veneer of amateurism kept one foot in the traditional spirit of collegiate sports. The NIL / transfer portal has turned it into an all out money grab that tears down that wall, turning college athletes into 'hired guns'.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                X
                                UA-124223861-1