Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we going to start scheduling late season cupcakes when we move to the SEC?

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we going to start scheduling late season cupcakes when we move to the SEC?

I know OSU and then Baylor used to serve this purpose for us before they both improved, but outside of the Kansas game we haven't had lot of late season games that were just totally meaningless IMO for quite some time.

Assuming we follow their lead, do you think this will become our new norm? I'm sure the cow colleges and directional schools of the world will appreciate the payday and crisp fall air of Norman, but will it be strange (maybe relaxing even?) to anyone else to have a weekend so late in the season devoid of any tension?

​​​​​​

Just because you eat at the same restaurant doesn't mean you have to eat the same thing everyone else does. Besides, I don't think Texass looks at KU as a late season game devoid of pressure/tension, and if it hadn't been for some heroics on the part of a certain deserter at QB, OU wouldn't either. Anyone can be beaten on any given day. Just because Bama and some of the other schools choose to take a gamble on dropping a point or two on their SOS ranking late in the season doesn't mean OU should. Lead by example.

Comment

Should play Tulsa every year, help keep their football program.

Comment

Greyshirting, cupcakes, free cars, NIL; whatever.

I don't care.

We sold our soul to go to the SEC.

We play by the New rules there.

Comment

OU fans are celebrating the tier 3 games being moved away from the PPV model.

Those PPV games were OU's cupcakes

Comment

I always bought the ppv game but will honestly admit, by the 3rd qtr I was switching channels because the game is usually just a blow out and a scrimmage. I "assume" OU will follow suit and schedule a feel good homecoming game just like the rest of the SEC does. At first there was talk of keeping the OU/osu game alive but since then I've seen Mike Gundy say he thinks it will not continue. I guess we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by frou View Post
              I always bought the ppv game but will honestly admit, by the 3rd qtr I was switching channels because the game is usually just a blow out and a scrimmage. I "assume" OU will follow suit and schedule a feel good homecoming game just like the rest of the SEC does. At first there was talk of keeping the OU/osu game alive but since then I've seen Mike Gundy say he thinks it will not continue. I guess we will see.
              I will genuinely miss OU/OSU but it makes sense to change them to more of a gimmie opponent for our title hopes. They will miss it way more than us though...

​​​​​

Comment

OU vs. UCO will become a late season staple.

Comment

With four non conference tames, the SEC would rather have one late in the season in order to start conference play earlier then they otherwise would have. There aren’t that many options for a non conference game that late in the season so it also ends up as a bye week against a cupcake.

This may change with a 9 conference game schedule.

Comment

Why don't we just schedule Kansas every year as our November cupcake?

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post
                      I didnt particularly enjoy watching Kansas kick our asses the 1st half last year.

Comment

I don’t really give a shit if we play the cupcakes in September or November. You can’t deny that the SEC scheduling model has benefited their top teams. It absolutely has. Getting an easy W in November and resting a lot of your best players makes a lot of sense.

Comment

I've said for a long time that the SEC scheduling model gives it an advantage. Playing early season conference games sets the narrative for the season in the polls for the winners and allows early season losers a chance to recover so the SEC can have more teams ranked at the end of the year. I don't think of it as cheating or anything nefarious at all since any conference can do it as well. I've been amazed other conferences haven't adopted the practice. If everyone did it, there'd be no advantage.

OU plays it's own OOC cupcakes too. They've just played them in the first couple weeks of the season. Though, I will say the SEC takes it's cupcakes to a whole other level of suck (the really bad FCS teams). And to be fair, OU has played some truly bad FCS teams at well at times but that's generally been due to late schedule changes instead of a matter of practice. The Big 12, like the other power conferences not named SEC, leave most of the early weeks open and that is why the OOC cupcake games are always early. The SEC spreads it's conference games out through the whole season allowing, even necessitating, late season cupcakes so I assume OU will also play it's cupcakes late as well. And I say 'necessitating' because since all the power conferences not named SEC schedule conference games late, there won't generally be good intersectional matchups available to schedule.

Comment

because Kansas is trying to find their own cupcake by scheduling Texas, they don't have room for us on the schedule.

Comment

What, SEC hasn't come in here yet to tell us that you HAVE to schedule cupcakes because, you see, the SEC is practically the NFL and you're going to be so beat up you'll NEED a cupcake.

You have no other option.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoLab View Post
                                What, SEC hasn't come in here yet to tell us that you HAVE to schedule cupcakes because, you see, the SEC is practically the NFL and you're going to be so beat up you'll NEED a cupcake.

You have no other option.
                                Or start another thread of "8 reasons why OU and Texas will enjoy scheduling 1AA opponents like everyone else when they join the SEC!!!"

Comment

Because Caleb Williams won't be here to save us with a 4th down steal from OUr own RB.

Too soon?

Comment

Please schedule a home and home with Mercer, 20 miles away. I can get a ticket for that. The first time we come to Sanford Stadium, Georgia, you won't be able to afford a ticket. I will go, just to buy souvenirs.

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeInjury View Post

I will genuinely miss OU/OSU but it makes sense to change them to more of a gimmie opponent for our title hopes. They will miss it way more than us though...

​​​​​
                                      Unless we were the constant stumbling block to them winning the conference championship and getting the International Harvester Trucker Hat Bowl vs. the Cotton Bowl. They will lose the guaranteed revenue of an OU home game, but consistently winning the Big 12 will most likely fill their stadium for their other home games (Aggy Pride and all that), so it is a net win. Plus they will get to claim that they are the best team in Oklahoma without having to play for it (we will too of course, making the non-played rivalry even better).

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeInjury View Post
                                        I know OSU and then Baylor used to serve this purpose for us before they both improved, but outside of the Kansas game we haven't had lot of late season games that were just totally meaningless IMO for quite some time.

Assuming we follow their lead, do you think this will become our new norm? I'm sure the cow colleges and directional schools of the world will appreciate the payday and crisp fall air of Norman, but will it be strange (maybe relaxing even?) to anyone else to have a weekend so late in the season devoid of any tension?

​​​​​​
                                        9 of the 14 SEC schools did that last year. To me, it makes a lot of sense to schedule a cupcake the week before a meaningful late-season non-conference game. So it makes a lot of sense for Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, and Kentucky. You basically get two weeks to prepare for for in-state rival, who may be playing a tough game the week before. I don't see us having a late season non-conference game against Nebraska or Oklahoma State or anything, but if we did, it would make a lot more sense to schedule Missouri State or whatever the week before.

Comment

OSU Is said cupcake

Comment

USC would make a great cupcake and it would piss off OUr piss-ant
                                            Last edited by OUrage; 05-12-2022, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Maybe we'll finally get around to playing East Popcorn State.

Comment

as long as it's not army or air force...

Comment

Originally posted by blackfrancois View Post
                                                  as long as it's not army or air force...
                                                  I get your point but they will not be playing against a Mike Stoops defense.
                                                  I firmly believe this new staff will not make us feel disappointed after a win.
                                                  Last edited by OUrage; 05-14-2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post

Because Caleb Williams won't be here to save us with a 4th down steal from OUr own RB.

Too soon?
                                                    The RBs forward motion ended, in fact he was being pushed backwards when CW took the ball I was happy at the moment that Big Xii refs suck.
                                                    Last edited by OUrage; 05-14-2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OUrage View Post
                                                      The RBs forward motion ended, in fact he was being pushed backwards when VW took the ball I was happy at the moment that Big Xii refs suck.
                                                      Who give a shit? The refs moved the sticks and they would not have if Brooks had held onto the ball.

So clearly, too soon for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post

Who give a shit? The refs moved the sticks and they would not have if Brooks had held onto the ball.

So clearly, too soon for you.
                                                        I guess I gave a shit. Sorry.

Comment

We already do. Have you heard of Texas Tech, Kansas, Baylor and Okie State?

Comment

Originally posted by OUrage View Post
                                                            I guess I gave a shit. Sorry.
                                                            BTW, when someone asks "too soon?", that's a dead giveaway that it's a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by 49cent View Post
                                                              We already do. Have you heard of Texas Tech, Kansas, Baylor and Okie State?
                                                              So half of our cupcakes just won NY6 bowls? That ain’t too shabby from where I’m standing.

Comment

The scheduling of cupcakes question has been thoroughly digested, but what about scheduling creampuffs?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Clay View Post
                                                                  The scheduling of cupcakes question has been thoroughly digested, but what about scheduling creampuffs?
                                                                  I vote cream puffs

Comment

Maybe we could schedule the Danish, too. I hear their teams are kinda flaky.

Comment

I like the idea of where the branding of the program is headed in SEC, Oklahoma is the westernmost brand of the premier league in collegiate football...

That will attract the attention of not only the expanded footprint, but those elite players from Los Angeles that aren't sold on Riley & USC talking points...

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post
                                                                        I like the idea of where the branding of the program is headed in SEC, Oklahoma is the westernmost brand of the premier league in collegiate football...

That will attract the attention of not only the expanded footprint, but those elite players from Los Angeles that aren't sold on Riley & USC talking points...
                                                                        I can get on board with this and have said it before here on this board about the west coast recruits. That OU is very far west in the SEC and many will see that, along with OU great history, as a plus, to be in the SEC and be closer to “home” vs “Tuscaloosa, Athens, Orlando, BR, Etc”…but as of now, it’s just a speculation.

And who are these guys??? They are really asking if the LIS is a big deal even know they recognize, according to them, that it’s a big thing in the SEC, and without it, will OU will even compete?

I’d shit can their commentary, NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post

I can get on board with this and have said it before here on this board about the west coast recruits. That OU is very far west in the SEC and many will see that, along with OU great history, as a plus, to be in the SEC and be closer to “home” vs “Tuscaloosa, Athens, Orlando, BR, Etc”…but as of now, it’s just a speculation.

And who are these guys??? They are really asking if the LIS is a big deal even know they recognize, according to them, that it’s a big thing in the SEC, and without it, will OU will even compete?

I’d shit can their commentary, NOW.
                                                                          The 3 are all: pro-Baylor 1st/ pro-XII 2nd on the point of view they spew... But many of their guests have wide views on college football...
                                                                          I find it interesting looking at XII as an "outsider" now already emotionally untangling myself and navigating to SEC content for Sooners...

Comment

The 3 are all: pro-Baylor 1st/ pro-XII 2nd on the point of view they spew... But many of their guests have wide views on college football...
                                                                            I find it interesting looking at XII as an "outsider" now already emotionally untangling myself and navigating to SEC content for Sooners...
                                                                            Well, if one is Danny Kannell, shit can his arse. Or anyone like him.

And listen to the SEC Network heads for a fair review, including PFB.

Danny Kannell is an SEC hater and he is always wrong.

Comment

#39

I listen to those guys once or twice a week when they have a segment that interests me. They really do have a serious complex with OU to the SEC and major envy. It’s pathetic.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                              X
                                                                              UA-124223861-1