First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SEC View Post

JF is striking out. While he is what you highlighted, at Saban, he’s afraid to really shine the light. He’s only going “so far”…I heard him hammmer Saban and his former head coaches re his antics from the past…

I’m with most here, and it’s probably true Saban has been somewhat guilty, but he is shining not a light, but a fkn Q beam on this shit and he fkn knows it will cost him in this but something has to be done.

Talking about the have and have nots… Saban is actually going against the grain to shine this light.

This all will get uglier because of this and,
    Again, Saban is leading this charge.
    I think that's accurate.

Also, if Jimbo was under Saban for 4 years at LSU and watched him cheat, that means he benefitted and at least tacitly enaged in cheating. It got him the job at FSU and that got him where he is now.

Dumb bastard is lighting his own house on fire.

Comment

Saban being mad at other coaches paying players is some highly rich irony.

Saban is not the greatest if he weren’t doing the same thing under the table at the D1 level.

Comment

BTW, I’m partial to Kikkoman
        well, yeah.

Comment

Really don’t care who is right or wrong but really hope this leads to some legitimate rules around this. Hell, the NFL has a better system set up for payment, tampering, etc. The current Wild West “system” we have now sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by smusooner View Post
            Saban being mad at other coaches paying players is some highly rich irony.

Saban is not the greatest if he weren’t doing the same thing under the table at the D1 level.
            Well, as Jimbo himself has said in the past, NIL was always being done, it's just legal now. Now if Saban was doing what everybody else was doing and still winning the way he was, then he's the best coach in the SEC for sure. And from building that program, he now should be able to sit pretty and not have to entice kids with cash. He has earned it. The advantage Jimbo has now is not NIL, but an unlimited source of funds to buy players, supposedly on the up-and-up, even though it isn't. As I have said before, NIL is NOT NIL. NIL is a catch-all now for paying players. When players inquire about NIL deals during recruiting, that isn't to capitalize on their name, image, and likeness, which at that point is valued at next to nothing because they are a high school football player, but to capitalize on plain ol' gettin' paid.

As somebody has already implied, Saban saying this is ultimately good for CFB because he is the face of the sport. If he can't get the ball rolling to get NIL under control, then it just isn't going to happen.

Comment

It means,

A crocodile…

That walks…

Like a man.
              Well, now I really don’t understand that when you say that in reference to me. If I could walk like a crocodile walking like a man, I wouldn’t need talcum powder.
              Last edited by Colonel O’Truth; 05-21-2022, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Not too many seem to remember that “I don’t lie & cheat” Jimbo was under a Show Cause not long ago.

Comment

--

Comment

Originally posted by hhsmiley View Post

--

Comment

When guys in our high school would get into a fight, the principal would stop them, get two pair of boxing gloves from his office, and tell them to go at it (I believe the Oklahoma Education Association still recommends this ). It may be difficult to find boxing gloves small enough to fit Saban, but you could sell the bout on PayPerView for $ tons.

Comment

Instead of a new thread, that most here seem to despise:

SECNick Saban vs. Jimbo Fisher: How does their feud stack up against the best SEC coach dustups?

It felt epic because it was epic.

Two of the 5 active head coaches with a ring got into a war of words that felt straight out of the WWE playbook. Nick Saban claimed that Jimbo Fisher “bought” its entire recruiting class, which prompted a press conference response unlike anything we’ve seen in recent memory.

Fisher’s response to Saban included calling the Alabama coach “a narcissist” and “God.” Fisher mocked Saban’s claim that there was once parity on college football and added “when you’ve got all the advantages, it’s easy.”

On a Thursday afternoon in the middle of the May, the college football world got its popcorn and locked into a biblical battle of words. Saban then apologized on SiriusXM for singling out A&M during his response about the issues he has with the lack of structure in NIL. The day ended with a public reprimand from Greg Sankey. Two coaches on 8-figure deals were publicly reprimanded for calling each other out the way they did.

Chef’s kiss, SEC. You’ve done it again.

Of course, this isn’t the first time we’ve seen SEC coaches go back and forth. After all, it just means more.

The question now is just how high the Saban-Fisher feud ranks compared to some that we’ve seen in the last 25 years.

Let’s dig into that:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...c-coach-feuds/

Comment

Originally posted by johnintx View Post

To know A&M is to know a desperate fan base. I remember Eric Dickerson's Trans Am in the late 70's, and I remember when they gave Jackie Sherrill a then-record salary to come there in the 80's. I remember their success (when Texas was down) and subsequent probations. I also remember their move to the SEC, where they've tried to claim Alabama's success as their own.

I have a lot of friends that are Aggies, and I like them. My wife wonders why I don't like A&M. But their desperation to become a college football powerhouse leads them to do silly things. Their use of the beginning of NIL is another example.
                          Best, most succinct description of Aggie I've ever read. Well done. And good on you also for your take a few posts prior to that on S.O.U.L. Mission, OU & the NIL, etc. A circumspect and discerning approach, amidst an environment awash in recklessness and immediate gratification.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel O’Truth View Post

Well, now I really don’t understand that when you say that in reference to me. If I could walk like a crocodile walking like a man, I wouldn’t need talcum powder.
                            Well, so you may understand a little more about jhabbadahadada and to not think I’m completely crazy, just misspelling stuff or scored 10 on the ACT in some of my off the wall stuff that no one seems to understand on a continuous basis, or be “folksy”(ha, shit) as someone said:

Careful with the powder.

Comment

Well, so you may understand a little more about jhabbadahadada and to not think I’m completely crazy, just misspelling stuff or scored 10 on the ACT in some of my off the wall stuff that no one seems to understand on a continuous basis, or be “folksy”(ha, shit) as someone said:

Careful with the powder.
                              Quite possibly the best part but of the internet is the fact I’m on a message board with a dude who speaks Aborigine.

now don’t take his picture!!
                              Last edited by Orangejello Jones; 05-22-2022, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post

Quite possibly the best part but of the internet is the fact I’m on a message board with a dude when speaks Aborigine.

now don’t take his picture!!
                                Hey man, being a little worldly, even knowing Aborigine, pig latin, or even wedneck can be an asset. And quite funny at times.

And I won’t take his pic. But I do like the part. Don’t think someone as myself didn’t catch that gem in the movie. It’s the overlooked things…

Comment

Careful with the powder.
                                  good ole Wally, good thing he can't shoot straight

Comment

Careful with the powder.
                                    Well, who knew that you could speak Australian? G’day, mate. Throw another shrimp on the Barbie.

Comment

Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post

Well, as Jimbo himself has said in the past, NIL was always being done, it's just legal now. Now if Saban was doing what everybody else was doing and still winning the way he was, then he's the best coach in the SEC for sure. And from building that program, he now should be able to sit pretty and not have to entice kids with cash. He has earned it. The advantage Jimbo has now is not NIL, but an unlimited source of funds to buy players, supposedly on the up-and-up, even though it isn't. As I have said before, NIL is NOT NIL. NIL is a catch-all now for paying players. When players inquire about NIL deals during recruiting, that isn't to capitalize on their name, image, and likeness, which at that point is valued at next to nothing because they are a high school football player, but to capitalize on plain ol' gettin' paid.

As somebody has already implied, Saban saying this is ultimately good for CFB because he is the face of the sport. If he can't get the ball rolling to get NIL under control, then it just isn't going to happen.
                                      Well said

Comment

Well, who knew that you could speak Australian? G’day, mate. Throw another shrimp on the Barbie.
                                        Good Ol' Land down under, you ever get a chance, go there! Go to western Australia, city of Perth, they love Americans... we talk funny. Bars open at 8:00 a.m., close at 4:00 a.m. Just remember to not turn your glass upside down on the bar.

Comment

I may do that some day. Possibly try a vegemite sammich while I’m here.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Longcrawler View Post

Good Ol' Land down under, you ever get a chance, go there! Go to western Australia, city of Perth, they love Americans... we talk funny. Bars open at 8:00 a.m., close at 4:00 a.m. Just remember to not turn your glass upside down on the bar.
                                              There is a guy who used to post here pretty regularly that lives in Perth. Retired US military guy. I have not seen him post in a long time though.
                                              Live Free or Die!

Comment

I've had vegemite, straight from Aussie...it's awful. Like throwing a handful of yeast packets in water, make a paste out of it, and put it on bread...that's what a vegemite sandwich tastes like.

Comment

Greg Sankey Drops a BOMB

There are some concerning trends,” Sankey told Yahoo Finance.

We’re not seeing name image and likeness activity — we’re seeing just straight payments.

And I think it’s important that we recenter ourselves on what’s supposed to be happening here and the desire to keep that activity out of recruitment to benefit young people economically but to do so in a healthy way.”
                                                  The dude is the Comissioner of the SEC. He isn't going to say that without proof.

Jimbo?

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias 2.0 View Post
                                                    Looking at the picture, I imagined somebody asking Spurrier what he thinks of Jimbo Fisher. The Ole Ball Coach then lifts his leg and squeezes out a steamer while looking directly at the camera and says “next question.”

Comment

" I just Researched This"

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post
                                                        Greg Sankey Drops a BOMB

The dude is the Comissioner of the SEC. He isn't going to say that without proof.

Jimbo?
                                                        This...so much this...

Comment

The deal with vegemite is to use it sparingly. Americans like slathering the hell out of everything. If you cake it on like peanut butter, it's just going to make you hate it

Try a fraction of that amount, with a little butter. Pretty tasty.

Comment

On May 19th, Saban says A&M bought all their players.

Listen to video interview with Jimbo May 22nd.

Here is the quote

Break that down.

1. If you "just" researched this, that means that now only were you talking out of your ass three days before, but that also shows a real lack of institutional control - you had no clue what was going on on your team (who got NIL deals).

2. Saban never said A&M bought their team with NIL deals. You assumed that. One out of 11 having an above-board NIL deal doesn't exonerate anything, in fact, it impacts the majority who are being paid under the table.

Comment

Here is the quote

Break that down.

1. If you "just" researched this, that means that now only were you talking out of your ass three days before, but that also shows a real lack of institutional control - you had no clue what was going on on your team (who got NIL deals).

2. Saban never said A&M bought their team with NIL deals. You assumed that. One out of 11 having an above-board NIL deal doesn't exonerate anything, in fact, it impacts the majority who are being paid under the table.

Like I said a while back, the poo will hit the fan the first time one of those dudes gets no playing time/gets injured/gets unhappy and bolts. If whomever is funding their NIL deal tries to terminate, the blocks will come tumbling down as SOMEONE will have to tell the truth.

Comment

Here is the quote

Break that down.

Jimbo and Aggy are a perfect marriage. He just keeps talking and digging a bigger hole for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Section31 View Post

Like I said a while back, the poo will hit the fan the first time one of those dudes gets no playing time/gets injured/gets unhappy and bolts. If whomever is funding their NIL deal tries to terminate, the blocks will come tumbling down as SOMEONE will have to tell the truth.
                                                                  Remember when the FSU receiver held out of practice because he had no NIL deal?

It's already started

Comment

Comment

Gnarly, Mate! I’ll grab some chook and snags to throw on the barbie, bring a slab of coldies, invite some sheilas and we’ll get pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

There is a guy who used to post here pretty regularly that lives in Perth. Retired US military guy. I have not seen him post in a long time though.
                                                                        I know several, one a guy I served with in the sandbox retired there, don't blame them one bit, their "4th of July" is Coral Sea Day, celebrating the Battle of the Coral Sea, where the U.S. and other allies saved the Aussie's asses from the Japanese in WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by Section31 View Post

Wait until one of them knocks off a Whataburger at 2am, or gets caught having sexual relations with an unwilling coed, and gets kicked off the team...that is when the shit is going to hit the fan.

Comment

Gnarly, Mate! I’ll grab some chook and snags to throw on the barbie, bring a slab of coldies, invite some sheilas and we’ll get pissed.
                                                                            Oooooh! You’re fluent in Australianese I see. It’s just the queen’s English that challenging for you?

Comment

Oooooh! You’re fluent in Australianese I see. It’s just the queen’s English that challenging for you?
                                                                              Lol. Not really.

But I have an idea…Mr. Scholar…*where’s my hammer drill…

Comment

Well, first time for everything.

Comment

And he entered the portal 2 weeks later.
                                                                                  Live Free or Die!

Comment

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...possibilities/

Comment

Recruits NIL threatened by ATM.

https://twitter.com/brobible/status/...DJrzzDiiqiZSVg

Comment

Originally posted by XXL TideFan View Post
                                                                                        This is how you do it.

One of Texas A&M's top recruits in the Class of 2022 reportedly had his NIL compensation threatened over an All-Star Game participation.
                                                                                        Live Free or Die!

Comment

So did OU
                                                                                          See earlier Chp_Thr post stating your take is inaccurate.

Originally posted by ChpThril View Post

But we haven’t done that. We’ve guaranteed you the opportunity to make that much. And we haven’t even done that. Nothings been approved and the $ isn’t in place yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias 2.0 View Post
                                                                                            Now Saban is just flat-out lying, claiming he never said anyone did anything wrong. Saban earlier: A&M "bought every player on their team."

Comment

Originally posted by Balko View Post

Now Saban is just flat-out lying, claiming he never said anyone did anything wrong. Saban earlier: A&M "bought every player on their team."
                                                                                              Saw that…

Comment

Which is now completely legal, therefore he wasn't accusing them of doing anything wrong.

Comment

Figured you'd show up. Nice example of a non sequitor, there.

A program buying players is prohibited by the rules; therefore, it's wrong. Of course it's not illegal. It's not illegal for a football coach to put 14 men on the field, but it's wrong.

Comment

Figured you'd show up. Nice example of a non sequitor, there.

A program buying players is prohibited by the rules; therefore, it's wrong. Of course it's not illegal. It's not illegal for a football coach to put 14 men on the field, but it's wrong.
                                                                                                    Buying players through NIL deals is completely within the rules now. That was the issue Saban was bringing to light.

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

Buying players through NIL deals is completely within the rules now. That was the issue Saban was bringing to light.
                                                                                                      No, it isn't, but that seems to be what people think for some reason, and there is some gray area (and NCAA lack of enforcement) that is encouraging schools to bend, if not break, the rules completely at this point.

It remains against the rules to do pay for play, which some NIL deals clearly are, especially when they are set up by boosters. And the NCAA has sent out a terse reminder of such in the last month. Look, no HS kid short of maybe Arch Manning who has a preexisting pedigree, is worth big NIL money coming out of HS. If you're paying a kid in six figures when all he has ever done is earned a 5 star rating playing high school football, that amount is not commensurate with their actual worth. It's CFB play and the national exposure that comes from that which determines their worth and that earns them NIL marketing opportunities, not putting QBs on their ass for Allen High School. I don't think the NCAA has authority to set a recruit's worth, but they can determine whether or not a school is paying for play. And as part of that adjudication process, it would be reasonable to consider the amount of payment under the "I know it when I see it" standard. The problem is the schools will be hiding these deals, just as they have in the past, but now with NIL to provide cover and a distraction. In the state of Texas, schools are required to disclose NIL deals, and you'll hear Aggies repeating this all the time in an attempt to absolve Jimbo. This gives them cover to say "Look here at my left hand holding up this perfectly legit NIL deal, but don't go poking around in the right hand that is behind my back and holds the real reason why kids are signing up to play at my school."

Saban is parsing the way that Jimbo was. Jimbo got on his high horse and said they aren't doing anything that is against the law in the state of Texas. OK, I guess that's true, but that doesn't mean they aren't violating NCAA rules. Saban is saying, hey, I never said they did anything illegal as Jimbo alleges, which is also true.

But Saban knew what would happen when he said what he said. He put Jimbo on notice and pointed a national eye at their practices.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1