Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the coaching stupid !

Essentially

The Problem was OU and not his lousy coaching. He sure is fixated on OU for someone that happily left.

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/202...ecruiting-sec/

Admins ... please delete thread... just saw it's been covered in a different one ... my bad

Comment

Can’t have enough piss on Liar threads

Comment

Originally posted by OUrage View Post
        Can’t have enough piss on Liar threads
        I'll throw something out that will keep this thread going. Perhaps Riley is right and that a coach can't "build a roster" at OU like a someone at Bama, or Georgia, or USC or tOSU or even Texas or Clemson. And I think in Brent's short stay he has pretty much shown that he is recruiting toward intangibles that can overcome a slight talent gap.

Going back to Switzer's era, he started chasing stars in the late '70s and early '80s. Despite having NFL talent all over the place our teams between '81 and '83 had poor chemistry and too many guys that were in it for themselves. I think Venables is banking that this type of thing will happen again in the NIL age among teams that "collect" talent.

Could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

I'll throw something out that will keep this thread going. Perhaps Riley is right and that a coach can't "build a roster" at OU like a someone at Bama, or Georgia, or USC or tOSU or even Texas or Clemson. And I think in Brent's short stay he has pretty much shown that he is recruiting toward intangibles that can overcome a slight talent gap.

Going back to Switzer's era, he started chasing stars in the late '70s and early '80s. Despite having NFL talent all over the place our teams between '81 and '83 had poor chemistry and too many guys that were in it for themselves. I think Venables is banking that this type of thing will happen again in the NIL age among teams that "collect" talent.

You think we’re not doing NIL like SEC? You think we’re not offering deals to elite players?

We’re not going to be short on talent. This coaching staff is just better than the “fools gold” staff they have at USC. I can tell you we aren’t going to be recruiting frauds with no work ethic like the previous staff.

Comment

Is Rodney Anderson playing in the NFL? How about Trey Sermon?

Other than those two. I believe several starters and backups of the offense are in the NFL today. Baker, Kyler, Orlando, Creed, Hollywood, CeeDee, Mark Andrews.

Comment

Riley built that lead vs Georgia, then the players lost it.

I mean, obviously.

Comment

Riley said his ass doesn’t stink. I think he lies a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoLab View Post
                  Riley built that lead vs Georgia, then the players lost it.

I mean, obliviously.
                  FIFY

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post

You think we’re not doing NIL like SEC? You think we’re not offering deals to elite players?

We’re not going to be short on talent. This coaching staff is just better than the “fools gold” staff they have at USC. I can tell you we aren’t going to be recruiting frauds with no work ethic like the previous staff.
                    I think we won't be doing NIL like the SEC. I don't think OU will be an NIL driven program.

The reason I think that is that Venables has already stated that on several occasions.

Comment

Please review thread title punctuation before you use the word “stupid.”

Comment

I think we won't be doing NIL like the SEC. I don't think OU will be an NIL driven program.

The reason I think that is that Venables has already stated that on several occasions.
                        He’s stated we will use NIL in any way we can. No, we’re not going to be throwing money just to do it. Of course we want to find the right guys with the right work ethic and mental makeup, but you can bet your ass we will be using NIL just like everyone else.

Comment

Worked out ok for the 85 team, apparently

Comment

Riley: I couldn't get the talent I wanted to win a national championship at OU
                            OU's 2023 recruiting class before Riley left: No. 1

Comment

I agree with you and I have made similar statements in the past. Most accused me of being old school and out of touch (which could be true!). I firmly believe its takes a lot of work to find the right talent for your program and it begins by making relationships with high school coaches. They will show you where the talent is if you treat them with respect. Coach Bowden stated many years ago that he noticed FSU started declining when he started chasing 5 stars instead of doing the hard meticulous work of finding the right talent. I will also argue that his program started to decline a few years after FSU joined the ACC. FSU dominated for several years when they first joined but just like Miami and Penn State found out, once teams start playing you every single year they figure you out and your chances of winning decrease.

Comment

Riley is cut from the same mold as Schnellenberger. He had really good QB play at Miami and landed a national championship. He was a good coach, but he thought he was bigger than any program he was associated with. He thought he was the program.

Riley coaches a lot softer than Howard, but has the same mentality that he is the program.

With the right players that can work for a very short period of time, but it will always fall to pieces.

We will see if Lincoln starts drinking heavily soon. I think if he doesn’t succeed at USC his career and personal life may unravel. That’s was happens when self centered people fail. They blame it on everyone around them.

No matter what happens Oklahoma is better off now.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomerBilly View Post
                                  Riley is cut from the same mold as Schnellenberger. He had really good QB play at Miami and landed a national championship. He was a good coach, but he thought he was bigger than any program he was associated with. He thought he was the program.

Riley coaches a lot softer than Howard, but has the same mentality that he is the program.

With the right players that can work for a very short period of time, but it will always fall to pieces.

We will see if Lincoln starts drinking heavily soon. I think if he doesn’t succeed at USC his career and personal life may unravel. That’s was happens when self centered people fail. They blame it on everyone around them.

Riley couldn’t hold schnellenbergers jock strap. 1995 Drunk schnellenberger and Riley may be the same. Except One of them has a national title while the other one will never get one.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomerBilly View Post

I do believe Riley will ultimately end up at Florida Atlantic after his tenure at USC ends up exposing him as having some good qualities as an offensive coordinator, but average to below-average abilities as the head of a big-time program.

I get annoyed seeing people argue Riley is blah blah blah and 10 at OU with 2 Heisman winners and some dry brisket barbecue success. Remember Dennis Erickson? He stepped in after Jimmy Johnson at Miami and won a couple of NCs in spite of his shitty coaching thanks to being able to walk right into the roster Jimmy Johnson (and wealthy boosters) built. Like Riley, Erickson's players started getting into trouble and every year they were not as good as the year before. OU didn't have a Miami roster in 1990 talent, but I believe OU's roster was good enough to win it all in 2017. OU's defense had young talent and was average, but Riley cost OU that game, not the defense..Okay, Mike Stoops didn't fucking help at all.

I also do not see a long timeline of success from narcissistic people throwing digs at prior jobs, regardless of the profession. I think Riley was just trying to fluff USC fans, but his comments were ill-advised and will come back to haunt him. What's he going to say when he's coaching a mid-major in 5 years? "Well, thanks to the easy admissions here, we here at FAU can get more talent than USC, and kids can eat free at the student union."

I'm not going to argue with anyone about what Riley did while he was at OU. He's a fucking asshole that did well as a coordinator when he had a head coach telling him to run the goddamned ball, and keep his oversized ego in check. That 'aww shucks' bullshit will get very old out west. It was already getting old at OU, and unless Riley mines Samoa, he's going to need to find stud linemen to solidify his trenches, which he won't do because they'll be doing the kettlebell shuffle, gay edition volume 2.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                    X
                                    UA-124223861-1