First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil Steele's 2022 mag

I just got the digital version. Not very far into it yet but looking at his All American teams .... there's not one OU player on first, second, third , or even fourth team on either side of the ball. Turk made All American second team punter. Pretty amazing drop off from past years.

I follow Steele on Twitter. As he's put the mag together, he tweets after every coach he talks to. To my knowledge, Coach Venables was the only coach he never talked to.

He tweeted this on May 30 and never acknowledged that he talked with Venables. I wonder if Venables wanted to talk with him. Maybe Venables doesn't want to hype this team

BTW, in his preseason poll , he has OU number eight

In his Power Poll .............. OU is #15

Difference being , preseason poll is where predicts OU to finish, power poll is how talented he thinks the roster to be .

Comment

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.

But seriously, Phil does his homework. He goes way deep into the weeds.

But I don't think his track record is significantly different than anyone else's.
      Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

But I don't think his track record is significantly different than anyone else's.
        Not him specifically, but I have sometimes wondered whether guys who get deep into it end up with better records.

Comment

I’ve never been called an opinion…

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

Not him specifically, but I have sometimes wondered whether guys who get deep into it end up with better records.
            I'm sure there is someone out there who tracks that kind of stuff.
            Live Free or Die!

Comment

My OP was not meant to be a referendum on Phil Steele or any other preseason mag. Read what you wish or ignore them all. I've done both at times.

But Coach Venables decided not to talk about the team. I think that's significant. Because in past years, and I have nothing to document this, but I think OU coaching staff has hyped the team to the media, in order to get as high a preseason ranking as possible.

That's my only explanation as to why our teams seemed to be always over rated.

That said, OU was Phil Steele's pick to win the NC last year and he had Rattler winning the Heisman.

FWIW

Comment

I really don’t to worked up on preseason predictions. I do appreciate end of season results. Keeping under the radar has often been a blessing to a team in the process of rebuilding. Even a couple losses by seasons end is not a catastrophe at this point in BVs rebuild. As long as OU can show improvement from week to week and finish strong I will consider this a successful season.

Comment

Originally posted by Hermit View Post
                  My OP was not meant to be a referendum on Phil Steele or any other preseason mag. Read what you wish or ignore them all. I've done both at times.

But Coach Venables decided not to talk about the team. I think that's significant. Because in past years, and I have nothing to document this, but I think OU coaching staff has hyped the team to the media, in order to get as high a preseason ranking as possible.

That's my only explanation as to why our teams seemed to be always over rated.

That said, OU was Phil Steele's pick to win the NC last year and he had Rattler winning the Heisman.

FWIW
                  Yeah, last year's defense was going to be all-universe, especially the linebackers. Coaches talked a really big game, but I feel like it was more talk than game.

Comment

I only glanced at the cover of Lindy's and saw their Top 10 ranked OSU ninth and OU tenth.

Comment

Originally posted by Shitbird View Post
                      I only glanced at the cover of Lindy's and saw their Top 10 ranked OSU ninth and OU tenth.
                      Phil Steele has the Sooners 9th . Has OSU 15th

https://www.si.com/fannation/college...&pid=10-oregon

Comment

Phils Top 25

1 Alabama
                        2 Ohio State
                        3 Georgia
                        4 Clemson
                        5 Michigan
                        6 Utah
                        7 Notre Dame
                        8 Oklahoma
                        9 A&M
                        10 Oregon
                        11 Pitt
                        12 Miami
                        13 NC State
                        14 Baylor
                        15 Oklahoma State
                        16 USC
                        17 UCF
                        18 Texas
                        19 Wisconsin
                        20 Iowa
                        21 UAB
                        22 Penn State
                        23 Mich State
                        24 Wake Forest
                        25 Cincinatti

Comment

Has Venables done any interviews with a major media outlet?

Comment

BV is really interesting in the sense that he's been a man about town ever since he was hired. He shows up to everything OU-related, he's super outgoing, he's energetic as all hell. I mean, even the media love him. At the same time, we're not actually getting specific information about the program. We're getting instead a nonspecific praise, if that makes any sense. I'm beginning to think that BV is quietly confident that he's gonna put a very good team on the field in September.

Comment

Actually Phil Steele has been the most accurate CFB forecaster for about 15 years running...

Comment

I haven't picked up a Phil Steele for a couple yrs, or any mag for that matter. Phil used to be my go-to mag. But since Covid and all the crazy transfer/eligibility rules, along with a non-stop coaching carousel , it seems any CFB info would get outdated quickly. Wonder if things are settling down any?

Comment

Originally posted by OUwasp View Post
                                  I haven't picked up a Phil Steele for a couple yrs, or any mag for that matter. Phil used to be my go-to mag. But since Covid and all the crazy transfer/eligibility rules, along with a non-stop coaching carousel , it seems any CFB info would get outdated quickly. Wonder if things are settling down any?
                                  Same. It's almost pointless to try to figure out who will start until the season actually starts because of the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by LakelandSooner View Post

Same. It's almost pointless to try to figure out who will start until the season actually starts because of the portal.
                                    May 1st was the deadline for players to enter the portal and be eligible for the 2022 season. The only additions between now and the season, will be players who were in the portal on May 1. Rosters are set.

Comment

Just for an example of how Steele uses a coaches input , he uses Riley's guidance in his USC report .

Under Defensive line he says ...........

" There are seven DL with starting experience and Riley likes the talent and depth "

Under Defensive Backs

" Despite the losses Coach Riley feels it could be one of the deeper units on the team "

There's none of this coaches guidance in the OU section

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

Actually Phil Steele has been the most accurate CFB forecaster for about 15 years running...
                                        According to who? How do you even measure something like that? However it is done, it is very subjective.

On the other hand, all he would have needed to do over those 15 years is pick Bama and he'd be right more often than not.
                                        Live Free or Die!

Comment

According to who? How do you even measure something like that? However it is done, it is very subjective.

On the other hand, all he would have needed to do over those 15 years is pick Bama and he'd be right more often than not.
                                          There's no possible way that I could care any less whether Steele is right or wrong in his predictions.

I get his mag because its filled to the brim with data and info.
                                          Last edited by Hermit; 06-13-2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post
                                            Has Venables done any interviews with a major media outlet?
                                            I can't recall one , right off.

But Lincoln Riley is not shying away from interviews with natl media.

Comment

Among his projections, Steele forecasts the 2021 National Champion will be Oklahoma, the Most Improved Team will be Penn State, and QB Spencer Rattler will win the Heisman (CLEVELAND) – Proven as the most accurate college football magazine for the last 23 years, Phil Steele’s 2021 College Football Preview has become one of the top-selling […]

Comment

Not sure how it's measured, but yes I've heard it's more than a self-claim for his highest accuracy. I wouldn't put much stock into it though.

He's picked OU as NC in 2021 and I think 2014 (can't remember exactly what year), but we didn't deliver. Interesting we didn't get any attention as far as All America teams go - this coming after a year where we were the only team that ranked in his top 10 for every position group. BV seems like he wants the team's performance on the field speak for itself and not lean on preseason hype to dictate how good this team will be. I feel like this is something we've been missing for 20+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

And has traditionally been very, very good to Oklahoma

Comment

Speaking of preseason magazines:

College Football News sends Oklahoma to the Alamo Bowl in their post-spring projections

While the Oklahoma Sooners might be considered the favorites to win the Big 12 by many publications, there are still those who are uncertain about what will come from Oklahoma after all of the turnover in the coaching staff and on the roster. Turnover happens across the country, but it’s understandable why some may have doubts about Oklahoma’s ability to rebound after a disappointing 2021 season.

They lost 11 players to the NFL and a host of others to the transfer portal. They worked diligently to mitigate the losses by attacking the transfer portal themselves. They filled needs and found several starters through the portal that will have them contending once again for the Big 12 title.

However, over at College Football News, they’re not believers quite yet in what Oklahoma is going to be able to do in Brent Venable’ first season as head coach. They’ve got the Sooners making a return trip to San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl in 2022. And they’ll face a team that many Sooners fans hope will be the thorn in Lincoln Riley’s side this season, the Utah Utes.

With the Sooners in the Alamo Bowl, that means they didn’t win the Big 12, and according to College Football News’ projections, it’s the Oklahoma State Cowboys who take the conference and end up in the All-State Sugar Bowl where they’ll take on the Georgia Bulldogs.

The four teams that make the College Football Playoff according to CFN are the Alabama Crimson Tide who would take on the USC Trojans (a familiar site for Lincoln Riley), and the Ohio State Buckeyes take on the Clemson Tigers. And it’s Alabama and Ohio State, the two schools with the frontrunners for the Heisman meeting in the College Football Playoff National Championship.

Oklahoma may not end up in the College Football Playoff but it’s hard to imagine the Sooners missing a New Year’s Six bowl for a second-straight season.

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/202...g-projections/

Comment

Sounds like there is a quid pro quo between Steele (and a lot of writers) and the coaches... You give me info and I'll promote your team. And BV doesn't want to play that.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoLab View Post
                                                        Sounds like there is a quid pro quo between Steele (and a lot of writers) and the coaches... You give me info and I'll promote your team. And BV doesn't want to play that.
                                                        I can't tell that. Steele talks with every coach. After he talks with them, he thanks them on Twitter. You can follow it on his twitter feed.

I would guess that most coaches talk up their team. IDK how Steele uses the info he gets from coaches. He's gotta be pretty good at sorting out the BS, however.

My guess about Venables not talking to Steele ( and all I know is Steele never tweeted that he talked to Venables, he might have, for all I know ) is that Venables doesn't want the players to read the hype. Sort've plays into the " you're not good enough " theme.

My real question of using Riley's view of his players, is just how much does Riley know about his team ? He's got a bunch of transfers. Some or most did not go through spring ball. He's got a bunch of pieces that he has no idea how they will actually fit together. He may not even know at the start of the season. So maybe Phil Steele just repeated what Riley told him, rather than make a guess at the unknowable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
                                                          Speaking of preseason magazines:

College Football News sends Oklahoma to the Alamo Bowl in their post-spring projections

While the Oklahoma Sooners might be considered the favorites to win the Big 12 by many publications, there are still those who are uncertain about what will come from Oklahoma after all of the turnover in the coaching staff and on the roster. Turnover happens across the country, but it’s understandable why some may have doubts about Oklahoma’s ability to rebound after a disappointing 2021 season.

They lost 11 players to the NFL and a host of others to the transfer portal. They worked diligently to mitigate the losses by attacking the transfer portal themselves. They filled needs and found several starters through the portal that will have them contending once again for the Big 12 title.

However, over at College Football News, they’re not believers quite yet in what Oklahoma is going to be able to do in Brent Venable’ first season as head coach. They’ve got the Sooners making a return trip to San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl in 2022. And they’ll face a team that many Sooners fans hope will be the thorn in Lincoln Riley’s side this season, the Utah Utes.

With the Sooners in the Alamo Bowl, that means they didn’t win the Big 12, and according to College Football News’ projections, it’s the Oklahoma State Cowboys who take the conference and end up in the All-State Sugar Bowl where they’ll take on the Georgia Bulldogs.

The four teams that make the College Football Playoff according to CFN are the Alabama Crimson Tide who would take on the USC Trojans (a familiar site for Lincoln Riley), and the Ohio State Buckeyes take on the Clemson Tigers. And it’s Alabama and Ohio State, the two schools with the frontrunners for the Heisman meeting in the College Football Playoff National Championship.

Oklahoma may not end up in the College Football Playoff but it’s hard to imagine the Sooners missing a New Year’s Six bowl for a second-straight season.

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/202...g-projections/
                                                          USC making the playoffs? I will take that bet CFN.

Comment

Originally posted by schoonerdriver View Post

USC making the playoffs? I will take that bet CFN.
                                                            I'm not a gambler, but I'd put a big chunk of change on this, too. USC ain't making no fucking playoff. Jesus.

Comment

My real question of using Riley's view of his players, is just how much does Riley know about his team ? He's got a bunch of transfers. Some or most did not go through spring ball. He's got a bunch of pieces that he has no idea how they will actually fit together. He may not even know at the start of the season. So maybe Phil Steele just repeated what Riley told him, rather than make a guess at the unknowable.
                                                              Steele has to take the coach's word... there's no way he can know about the players himself.

And Riley seems like the type to promote everything. To me, he's all about recruiting, and if he paints everything as rosy, that means more interest from recruits.

It's the coaching and development where he falls short, as we know. He can do the sizzle, the steak not so much.

Comment

247Sports' bold predictions include Texas football winning the Big 12

With the college football season still a few months away, there’s no better time to start discussing predictions and projections for 2022.

Brad Crawford of 247Sports recently released his 10 boldest predictions for the 2022 college football season and the Texas Longhorns were of course included among them.

Crawford has the Longhorns winning their first Big 12 title since 2009. Considering this is expected to be somewhat of a down year for the conference, Texas certainly has the talent on their roster to make a big splash like this.

In the ultra-competitive Big 12, the widespread assumption this summer is this season’s conference champion wins nine — maybe 10 games — this fall after getting through a landmine-filled slate. That Week 2 tussle with top-ranked Alabama is going to pay off in a big way for the Longhorns, who will recover from that loss to impress during Steve Sarkisian’s second campaign after a five-win face plant in 2021. Texas is talented enough to lead the conference in scoring offense this fall if offensive line play is sold and Quinn Ewers is the impact player many of us expect him to be in Austin.

Other bold predictions included Nebraska starting the season with a 5-0 record, Michigan State finishing fourth in the Big Ten East, Utah winning the Pac-12 and reaching the College Football Playoff, and Ohio State sweeping the end-of-year accolades.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2...eve-sarkisian/

Comment

Phil Steele has traditionally been extremely bullish on OU—one reason being that you guys have had minimal staff turnover /stability at the top for the longest time. This is a transitional year and I think he reverts to form a year from now after BV implements his philosophy firmly throughout the program.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBeachBum68 View Post
                                                                    Phil Steele has traditionally been extremely bullish on OU—one reason being that you guys have had minimal staff turnover /stability at the top for the longest time. This is a transitional year and I think he reverts to form a year from now after BV implements his philosophy firmly throughout the program.
                                                                    He has OU winning the Big 12 and ranked Visitor Messages nationally. I think that's where OU needs to be. It would not hurt my feelings if they were somewhere in the 10 to 15 range, only because I'm tired of going into the season with a lot of baggage from hype. And what I'm hearing about last year's team, there seemed to be a sense of entitlement and a lack of urgency. Hype doesn't help that.

Comment

On this podcast, " Bear " of College Game Day looks at Draft King win totals and gives 5 teams he thinks go over and 5 teams he thinks go under.

He thinks OU goes under the 9.5 win total. Basically, its attributed to the coaching change or transition or Venables first year as a coach or whatever ya wanna call it. He says everything but come right out and predict Nebraska to beat OU.

I can't really disagree with him that its possible Sooners go 9 - 3 . I think the NU game is basically a pickem. Texas is always a battle. There could be one more loss in conference play.

His other unders were Arizona St, USF, Stanford, and A&M

His overs , UGA, Bama, Ohio St, Notre Dame, TCU . Bear implies OU losing to TCU. He's really excited about Sonny Dykes at TCU.

Podcast starts with some boring hockey talk , begins with OU at 7:30 mark , link here but the AP Top 25 College podcast is also on Apple, or wherever you get your podcasts.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/...source=w_share

Comment

On this podcast, " Bear " of College Game Day looks at Draft King win totals and gives 5 teams he thinks go over and 5 teams he thinks go under.

He thinks OU goes under the 9.5 win total. Basically, its attributed to the coaching change or transition or Venables first year as a coach or whatever ya wanna call it. He says everything but come right out and predict Nebraska to beat OU.

I can't really disagree with him that its possible Sooners go 9 - 3 . I think the NU game is basically a pickem. Texas is always a battle. There could be one more loss in conference play.

His other unders were Arizona St, USF, Stanford, and A&M

His overs , UGA, Bama, Ohio St, Notre Dame, TCU . Bear implies OU losing to TCU. He's really excited about Sonny Dykes at TCU.

Podcast starts with some boring hockey talk , begins with OU at 7:30 mark , link here but the AP Top 25 College podcast is also on Apple, or wherever you get your podcasts.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/...source=w_share
                                                                        You need to get over Nebraska. They suck.
                                                                        Live Free or Die!

Comment

CBS Sports says take the under , says OU loses 3 games .......... Texas, KSU, and Tech

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...e-big-numbers/

Comment

Don't know much about this sports betting site, but OU is #21 in their power rankings , Nebraska 16
                                                                            Our power ratings are fueled by Wilson’s projections, which aim to judge the true quality of a team based on advanced metrics, coaching changes, year-over-year roster continuity (TARP) and a host of other underlying components.
                                                                            Updated 2022 College Football Betting Power Ratings | Action Network

Found it here

Last edited by Hermit; 06-21-2022, 06:24 PM.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

Yeah, last year's defense was going to be all-universe, especially the linebackers. Coaches talked a really big game, but I feel like it was more talk than game.
                                                                              Under different coaching that lb room would be legit

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Jasooner View Post

Under different coaching that lb room would be legit
                                                                                Lehman and Ikard were really excited about last year's dline. But it never really panned out.

But look how many defensive players got drafted ????

Comment

#41

Been a while since I've read Phil Steele, but as I recall, he would do a post-mortem of past picks, obviously highlighting the ones on which he was most accurate, and on those where his final prediction was somewhat off, he would quote explanatory text from the past forecasts; sometimes he would just say, I never saw this coming, but nobody else did either. I don't recall any othe mag talking about their track record and how they arrived at those past picks.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by EdwordL View Post

Been a while since I've read Phil Steele, but as I recall, he would do a post-mortem of past picks, obviously highlighting the ones on which he was most accurate, and on those where his final prediction was somewhat off, he would quote explanatory text from the past forecasts; sometimes he would just say, I never saw this coming, but nobody else did either. I don't recall any othe mag talking about their track record and how they arrived at those past picks.
                                                                                    He is very detailed. I wasn't knocking him. I just wondered whether, with all his in depth research, is he really significantly more accurate than anyone else.
                                                                                    Live Free or Die!

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Steele did not have a Sooner on his first four All American teams , but then there's this

Comment

#44

Here is Athlon Sports’s full preseason Top 25:
                                                                                        1. Alabama
                                                                                        2. Ohio State
                                                                                        3. Georgia
                                                                                        4. Clemson
                                                                                        5. Texas A&M
                                                                                        6. Michigan
                                                                                        7. Notre Dame
                                                                                        8. Utah
                                                                                        9. USC
                                                                                        10. Oregon
                                                                                        11. Baylor
                                                                                        12. NC State
                                                                                        13. Oklahoma
                                                                                        14. Michigan State
                                                                                        15. Cincinnati
                                                                                        16. Wake Forest
                                                                                        17. Oklahoma State
                                                                                        18. Tennessee
                                                                                        19. Wisconsin
                                                                                        20. Miami
                                                                                        21. Kentucky
                                                                                        22. Arkansas
                                                                                        23. Pitt
                                                                                        24. Houston
                                                                                        25. Penn State

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Shitbird View Post

Here is Athlon Sports’s full preseason Top 25:
                                                                                          1. Alabama
                                                                                          2. Ohio State
                                                                                          3. Georgia
                                                                                          4. Clemson
                                                                                          5. Texas A&M
                                                                                          6. Michigan
                                                                                          7. Notre Dame
                                                                                          8. Utah
                                                                                          9. USC
                                                                                          10. Oregon
                                                                                          11. Baylor
                                                                                          12. NC State
                                                                                          13. Oklahoma
                                                                                          14. Michigan State
                                                                                          15. Cincinnati
                                                                                          16. Wake Forest
                                                                                          17. Oklahoma State
                                                                                          18. Tennessee
                                                                                          19. Wisconsin
                                                                                          20. Miami
                                                                                          21. Kentucky
                                                                                          22. Arkansas
                                                                                          23. Pitt
                                                                                          24. Houston
                                                                                          25. Penn State
                                                                                          I guess their rational for having OU at that low, is the Venables is first year coach. But yet, they put Notre Dame at Special ............ with a first year coach.

Comment

#46

I guess their rational for having OU at that low, is the Venables is first year coach. But yet, they put Notre Dame at Special ............ with a first year coach.
                                                                                            I think it’s got more to with players and recruits Riley took with him to USC.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Soonershocker1 View Post

I think it’s got more to with players and recruits Riley took with him to USC.
                                                                                              Recruits ? That would not impact this season. Any team depending upon freshmen is not gonna be very good team.

You really think OU was depending upon Mario Williams ? What did he do last season that impressed you ? What other impact player did he take other than the obvious , the QB ?

And OU has adequate replacement for the QB.

Comment

#48

Testing ,

CSS Examples Special Visitor Messages #16

What the hell, I'm using the number sign and it does this stuff.

Is this some kind of stupid inside joke ?

Comment

#49

Recruits ? That would not impact this season. Any team depending upon freshmen is not gonna be very good team.

You really think OU was depending upon Mario Williams ? What did he do last season that impressed you ? What other impact player did he take other than the obvious , the QB ?

And OU has adequate replacement for the QB.
                                                                                                  People act like Riley took Baker Mayfield, Mark Andrews, and Hollywood Brown to LA.

OU was 18th in total offense facing Big 12 defenses Ole Miss was 6th in total offense facing SEC defenses

Mario Williams 35 Rec 380 yards
                                                                                                  Bunkley Shelton 33 Rec 418 yards

The only thing we're not able to replace is the hype.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post

People act like Riley took Baker Mayfield, Mark Andrews, and Hollywood Brown to LA.

OU was 18th in total offense facing Big 12 defenses Ole Miss was 6th in total offense facing SEC defenses

It did not help that FULR's head was not in the game for all of last season, one in which Oklahoma was considered a legitimate contender and Spencer Rattler was a preseason frontrunner for the Heisman.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1