Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oklahoma, Texas Confirmed to Meet Annually in SEC

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Oklahoma, Texas Confirmed to Meet Annually in SEC










    For 365 days a year, there is a mutual disdain between those in the south that wear burnt orange or crimson and cream. Bragging rights are on the line on the second Saturday in October at the Texas State fair every year, and that tradition doesn’t seem to be going anywhere

    The Red River rivalry will continue as Oklahoma and Texas move into the SEC, regardless of what the new conference’s schedule might look like.




    According to Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione, the Longhorns and Sooners will play each other annually in the Cotton Bowl, no matter what.

    “Regardless of the format of eight or nine conference-game schedules, we will always play Texas,” Castiglione told the American-Statesman. “If the SEC sticks with its current model of just eight league games, the format will be one permanent rival (OU-Texas) and seven rotating teams.”

    Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte also told the American-Statesman that the rivalry would live on, adding that a big reason for joining the SEC was to bring back some old rivalries.




    “We wanted to rekindle old rivalries,” Del Conte said. “Whether it’s Arkansas or A&M or Oklahoma. Those matter to all of us. Fans cherish those games. It’s important for us to play Oklahoma in Dallas at the State Fair. That’s what makes college athletics so great generation after generation.”

    The Lone Star Showdown, the moniker given to the Texas-Texas A&M football game, could also become an annual meeting once again, as long as the SEC’s new scheduling formula allows for it.

    “I wasn’t a part of it (Texas vs. Texas A&M rivalry), but I grew up watching it on Thanksgiving,” Del Conte said. “It was ingrained in both fan bases’ psyches for hundreds of years. To me, OU not playing Nebraska is crazy. For us to go to the SEC with a chance to play Arkansas and A&M and continue our rivalry with OU is icing on the cake.”

    “It just depends on the format,” Castiglione said of the Longhorns and Aggies renewing an annual rivalry. “There’s some discussion about that, but I don’t know if that would be possible. But the Red River rivalry, that will continue. Neither one of us would let anything happen to that. There’s not even a question about it.”





    https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...nually-in-sec/

    #2
    Kansas athletic director Travis Goff has sent a similar proposal to Del Conte.

    Comment


      #3
      I didn't realize this was even a question.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Widescreen View Post
        I didn't realize this was even a question.
        Not for this one but there are most certainly going to be some rivalry games lost if the SEC only has 1-3 permanent games. It gets really tricky in the East if you only get 1 permanent game.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Slippery Pete View Post
          Kansas athletic director Travis Goff has sent a similar proposal to Del Conte.
          "OH HELL NO!"

          -- Del Conte

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by FoCoSooner View Post

            Not for this one but there are most certainly going to be some rivalry games lost if the SEC only has 1-3 permanent games. It gets really tricky in the East if you only get 1 permanent game.
            I read somewhere that at this time the SEC is leaning to having two divisions with one permanent rival. I like the three permanent rivals schedule myself but in the end I could care less. Leaving the BIG 12 is the best thing for OU.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by amtc View Post

              I read somewhere that at this time the SEC is leaning to having two divisions with one permanent rival. I like the three permanent rivals schedule myself but in the end I could care less. Leaving the BIG 12 is the best thing for OU.
              Do you have a link to that? First I have heard of it. The SEC meetings indicated no divisions and either 1 or 3 permanent games. The rest would rotate

              Comment


                #8


                Texas was sad when they realized it said annually instead of analy.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1018073

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by traxx View Post

                  Texas was sad when they realized it said annually instead of analy.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1018073
                  Was this the UT Drama department’s version of Requiem for a Dream?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
                    Oklahoma, Texas Confirmed to Meet Annually in SEC
                    it was a given, bit I appreciate OP posting the actual confirmation.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      There you have it… no longer in the Cotton Bowl; but rather in the SEC.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Just reported on Longhorn Network that Texas is now upset because he they thought they were meeting us anally.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Widescreen View Post
                          I didn't realize this was even a question.
                          But South Carolina folk needed to know for sure.?!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            could you imagine if we went to the SEC, losing OU/OSU in the process, and then didn't play Texas every year in the RRS? Instead, we get Mizzou or some shit? Ugh.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by SoonerMagick View Post

                              it was a given, bit I appreciate OP posting the actual confirmation.
                              You're quite welcome.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
                                could you imagine if we went to the SEC, losing OU/osu in the process, and then didn't play Texas every year in the RRS? Instead, we get Mizzou or some shit? Ugh.
                                I hope we lose the osu game. Fuck osu.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  No offense, because I know OU has no say in the SEC, but if the SEC stays at 8 conf games with a 16 team conf they are the biggest bunch of pussies ever.

                                  EVER.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by keef View Post
                                    No offense, because I know OU has no say in the SEC, but if the SEC stays at 8 conf games with a 16 team conf they are the biggest bunch of pussies ever.

                                    EVER.
                                    And don't forget that the SEC's finest hardly ever play a true road game, going with neutral site games closer to their homes than their opponents. But SEC, SEC, SEC.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      I approve of the picture they chose for this story. It's the one from last season that haunts the dreams of every horn fan.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by keef View Post
                                        No offense, because I know OU has no say in the SEC, but if the SEC stays at 8 conf games with a 16 team conf they are the biggest bunch of pussies ever.

                                        EVER.
                                        Agreed, but on the other hand, it’s been a smart strategy. Staying at 8 meant that there were 7 less automatic losses to be spread among the conference, thus artificially inflating the status of some of those teams who are just a notch below the Bama/UGA caliber. Nobody with a microphone bothers to call them out on it, so they get away with it, so hey, keep on keeping on in their eyes. I’m not his biggest fan or anything, but Saban, to his credit, has long advocated for 9, but he keeps getting outvoted.

                                        And don't forget that the SEC's finest hardly ever play a true road game, going with neutral site games closer to their homes than their opponents. But SEC, SEC, SEC.
                                        That’s certainly been true in the past, but fwiw, they’re leaving that philosophy behind, favoring home & homes going forward:

                                        https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/alabama/



                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by keef View Post
                                          No offense, because I know OU has no say in the SEC, but if the SEC stays at 8 conf games with a 16 team conf they are the biggest bunch of pussies ever.

                                          EVER.
                                          Agreed. They should go to a four team pod/division set up. A hypothetical one could be:

                                          West: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas & Texas A&M
                                          South: LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State & Missouri
                                          North: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee & Vanderbilt
                                          East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky & South Carolina

                                          Go to a nine game schedule. Play every team in your pod/division with two from the other three on a two year rotation basis,(home-home) & then will rotate to the other two teams.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Originally posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
                                            Agreed, but on the other hand, it’s been a smart strategy. Staying at 8 meant that there were 7 less automatic losses to be spread among the conference, thus artificially inflating the status of some of those teams who are just a notch below the Bama/UGA caliber. Nobody with a microphone bothers to call them out on it, so they get away with it, so hey, keep on keeping on in their eyes. I’m not his biggest fan or anything, but Saban, to his credit, has long advocated for 9, but he keeps getting outvoted.


                                            That’s certainly been true in the past, but fwiw, they’re leaving that philosophy behind, favoring home & homes going forward:

                                            https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/alabama/


                                            I'm not arguing if it was smart or not, I agree with you. The entire conference has benefited from it. Hell, last year they brag about 13 or 14 SEC teams going to a bowl but they had 7 teams finish at either 7-6 or 6-7. At least 3 of those 7 would not have been bowl eligible in a 9 game conf schedule. I mean, Florida went 2-6 in conference and went to a bowl by going 4-0 against Florida Atlantic, South Florida, SaMford and FSU.

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              Originally posted by keef View Post

                                              I'm not arguing if it was smart or not, I agree with you. The entire conference has benefited from it. Hell, last year they brag about 13 or 14 SEC teams going to a bowl but they had 7 teams finish at either 7-6 or 6-7. At least 3 of those 7 would not have been bowl eligible in a 9 game conf schedule. I mean, Florida went 2-6 in conference and went to a bowl by going 4-0 against Florida Atlantic, South Florida, SaMford and FSU.
                                              You're not going to convince a lot of people here because it has been pounded in their brains by the media and especially ESPN for years that "the SEC is full of the best teams top to bottom ever and nobody can compare."

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                I honestly look at the SEC myth like the BIG 12 in 2005. Texas won the NC, so does that mean they were challenged the most? No… the BIG 12 was a steaming turd that year with their best and most talented opponent being an 8-4 Oklahoma team whose QB couldn’t handle a snap for half of the season.

                                                Anymore, why does anybody care beyond the CCG and CFP contenders? Is it supposed to matter how that one time Texas 8-4 only had 1 loss in a pandemic year? Do you get special, historic documentation of how you almost had a great season if not for Bama taking you to the woodshed? That’s actually a pretty good example of how an average team can hide behind a shit schedule and proclaim how great they are “because SEC.”

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post

                                                  Agreed. They should go to a four team pod/division set up. A hypothetical one could be:

                                                  West: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas & Texas A&M
                                                  South: LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State & Missouri
                                                  North: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee & Vanderbilt
                                                  East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky & South Carolina

                                                  Go to a nine game schedule. Play every team in your pod/division with two from the other three on a two year rotation basis,(home-home) & then will rotate to the other two teams.
                                                  Ain’t happening, makes to much sense.

                                                  Comment


                                                    #26
                                                    Division-less is the term bandied about the most.

                                                    Comment


                                                      #27
                                                      Originally posted by XXL TideFan View Post
                                                      Division-less is the term bandied about the most.
                                                      By who? The media?

                                                      Comment


                                                        #28
                                                        I'm guessing that the SEC setup will change once the CFP is officially expanded.

                                                        Comment


                                                          #29
                                                          Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

                                                          By who? The media?
                                                          Pod-less

                                                          Comment


                                                            #30
                                                            It is going to be weird to see Sooners leaving the Big 12 and it is going to be a big change so I am not going to be used to it at first but I hope it works out for the best

                                                            Comment


                                                              #31
                                                              Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
                                                              could you imagine if we went to the SEC, losing OU/OSU in the process, and then didn't play Texas every year in the RRS? Instead, we get Mizzou or some shit? Ugh.
                                                              Mizzou would probably be more fun than Bed-lame. But yeah, glad to see that this SEC move doesn’t have a bunch of hairbrained bullshit like seemingly everytime the BIG 12 made a move. It’s all made sense so far. I still hope that they do the four divisions thing. That’s almost like the old BIG 12 scheduling that was fun. Just bigger and with more peer programs than we’ve been getting the last decade.

                                                              Comment


                                                                #32
                                                                Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

                                                                Pod-less
                                                                Yes, lets nip this pod shit in the bud.

                                                                Comment


                                                                  #33
                                                                  Originally posted by SoonersFan View Post
                                                                  It is going to be weird to see Sooners leaving the Big 12 and it is going to be a big change so I am not going to be used to it at first but I hope it works out for the best
                                                                  Let me help you out… we haven’t always been in the “BIG 12.” There are generations of Sooners who didn’t watch us play in the “BIG Texas” conference— that which was our BIG 8 with some former SWC stragglers.

                                                                  As for our connection to the BIG 12 you probably recognize today, it hasn’t been “big” in at least a decade. The last solid run the league had of balance across the board was probably in the early to mid 2000s.

                                                                  Going to the SEC means you give up a bunch of easy CCG titles and you get to see much better competition show up on our regular season schedule. There are still some turds in the SEC just as there are in every league, yes. However, instead of the same slate of G5-worthy mid-majors at best, you will soon see Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Bama, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas and even some showdowns with aTm and Mizzou back in town over Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, West Virgina, etc.
                                                                  In name alone, those SEC names on the schedule make for a MUCH hotter ticket.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    #34
                                                                    Originally posted by 49cent View Post

                                                                    Let me help you out… we haven’t always been in the “BIG 12.” There are generations of Sooners who didn’t watch us play in the “BIG Texas” conference— that which was our BIG 8 with some former SWC stragglers.

                                                                    As for our connection to the BIG 12 you probably recognize today, it hasn’t been “big” in at least a decade. The last solid run the league had of balance across the board was probably in the early to mid 2000s.

                                                                    Going to the SEC means you give up a bunch of easy CCG titles and you get to see much better competition show up on our regular season schedule. There are still some turds in the SEC just as there are in every league, yes. However, instead of the same slate of G5-worthy mid-majors at best, you will soon see Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Bama, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas and even some showdowns with aTm and Mizzou back in town over Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, West Virgina, etc.
                                                                    In name alone, those SEC names on the schedule make for a MUCH hotter ticket.
                                                                    SEC, it really has the most well-rounded roster…
                                                                    In my opinion, the only “turd brands” in SEC is:

                                                                    SEC-
                                                                    Mississippi State

                                                                    Far better than now (or if OU had went in PAC)…

                                                                    PAC-2
                                                                    Washington State
                                                                    Oregon State

                                                                    XII-2
                                                                    Kansas State
                                                                    Baylor

                                                                    The other *2 alternate options would be same:

                                                                    ACC-2
                                                                    Boston College
                                                                    Wake Forest

                                                                    B1G-1
                                                                    Rutgers

                                                                    As ACC/ B1G have a few turds {better than XII}…
                                                                    Not bad teams, just rather OU not lose vs them…




                                                                    Comment


                                                                      #35
                                                                      Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

                                                                      By who? The media?
                                                                      How else? You're the media, we're all the media, it's all the media.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        #36
                                                                        The old Big 8 done worked out purdy good fer us.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          #37
                                                                          Originally posted by keef View Post
                                                                          No offense, because I know OU has no say in the SEC, but if the SEC stays at 8 conf games with a 16 team conf they are the biggest bunch of pussies ever.
                                                                          EVER.
                                                                          ​​​​​#1945 National Champions.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            #38
                                                                            Originally posted by keef View Post
                                                                            No offense, because I know OU has no say in the SEC, but if the SEC stays at 8 conf games with a 16 team conf they are the biggest bunch of pussies ever.

                                                                            EVER.
                                                                            As far as we’re concerned, that’s about like dropping Kansas from our schedule. What’s one less game?

                                                                            But yeah… there’s no point in playing The Citadel, Alabama State, Tennessee-Chatanooga, UTEP, etc with a 16-team league.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              #39
                                                                              Originally posted by 49cent View Post

                                                                              As far as we’re concerned, that’s about like dropping Kansas from our schedule. What’s one less game?

                                                                              But yeah… there’s no point in playing The Citadel, Alabama State, Tennessee-Chatanooga, UTEP, etc with a 16-team league.
                                                                              Seriously? You all shit on the SEC for years for the 8 game schedule but now "as far as we're concerned...". Get the fuck outta here with that shit 49.

                                                                              (I did see your second sentence but was too mad to care by then :-)

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

                                                                                I hope we lose the osu game. Fuck osu.
                                                                                Can you explain to me why (some) OSU fans want to continue sucking off OU's teat?

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Jett View Post

                                                                                  Can you explain to me why (some) OSU fans want to continue sucking off OU's teat?
                                                                                  Because they are nothing without us?

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Jett View Post

                                                                                    Can you explain to me why (some) OSU fans want to continue sucking off OU's teat?
                                                                                    same reason you all are going to go suck off the $EC

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by keef View Post

                                                                                      same reason you all are going to go suck off the $EC
                                                                                      Come on man, we never needed the SEC for us to be relevant.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

                                                                                        Come on man, we never needed the SEC for us to be relevant.
                                                                                        You haven't made us relevant either? You made us money. Same as the SEC will do for you.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by keef View Post

                                                                                          You haven't made us relevant either? You made us money. Same as the SEC will do for you.
                                                                                          My bad you were never relevant.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by keef View Post

                                                                                            same reason you all are going to go suck off the $EC
                                                                                            OU doesn't have to drop to its knees and suck off $EC because they will add value to the conference.

                                                                                            aTm fans didn't have a problem weaning themselves from Texas. OSU fans should show some pride and embrace life without clinging to OU's coattails.

                                                                                            Instead of whining about OU leaving OSU behind, Cowboy fans should feel blessed they have a permanent home in a G5 conference with its peers.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

                                                                                              My bad you were never relevant.
                                                                                              Exactly.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Jett View Post

                                                                                                OU doesn't have to drop to its knees and suck off $EC because they will add value to the conference.

                                                                                                aTm fans didn't have a problem weaning themselves from Texas. OSU fans should show some pride and embrace life without clinging to OU's coattails.

                                                                                                Instead of whining about OU leaving OSU behind, Cowboy fans should feel blessed they have a permanent home in a G5 conference with its peers.
                                                                                                Other than your stupid ending, I agree. But OSU is so far from a G5. We've had one of the better performing athletic departments around on the field/court/course/mat/whatever for awhile.

                                                                                                It's just that OU is always a few steps ahead. (at least)

                                                                                                But I understand where I am and the clientele, so I understand the jab...

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by keef View Post

                                                                                                  Other than your stupid ending, I agree. But OSU is so far from a G5. We've had one of the better performing athletic departments around on the field/court/course/mat/whatever for awhile.

                                                                                                  It's just that OU is always a few steps ahead. (at least)

                                                                                                  But I understand where I am and the clientele, so I understand the jab...
                                                                                                  Why are most OSU fans delusional? The PAC, B1G, SEC, and ACC had no interest in adding OSU after OU made their SEC announcement.

                                                                                                  After Wallflower got exposed, writing was on the wall for OSU and they still got caught sleeping at the wheel. Stupidity or Arrogance?

                                                                                                  I get it. "OU would Never be allowed to leave OSU behind. They are a packaged deal. The state legislatures would intervene to keep OU and OSU together. It would be in the best interest of the state for OU and OSU to remain together."

                                                                                                  The same rubbish was discharged when aTm cut the cord from Texas. OSU fans and Texas fans have something in common. Lol

                                                                                                  There was a reason why Bob Bowlsby had to invite other G5 schools like Cincy, BYU, Houston, and UCF to join the WAC 12.

                                                                                                  OSU fans shouldn't feel embarrassed getting grouped together with other G5 schools. They should embrace their G5 status and stop obsessing about OU's move to the SEC.

                                                                                                  On a positive note, OSU has a legitimate chance to add a G5 Championship banner next to their 1945 National Championship banner.





                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Jett View Post

                                                                                                    Why are most OSU fans delusional? The PAC, B1G, SEC, and ACC had no interest in adding OSU after OU made their SEC announcement.

                                                                                                    After Wallflower got exposed, writing was on the wall for OSU and they still got caught sleeping at the wheel. Stupidity or Arrogance?

                                                                                                    I get it. "OU would Never be allowed to leave OSU behind. They are a packaged deal. The state legislatures would intervene to keep OU and OSU together. It would be in the best interest of the state for OU and OSU to remain together."

                                                                                                    The same rubbish was discharged when aTm cut the cord from Texas. OSU fans and Texas fans have something in common. Lol

                                                                                                    There was a reason why Bob Bowlsby had to invite other G5 schools like Cincy, BYU, Houston, and UCF to join the WAC 12.

                                                                                                    OSU fans shouldn't feel embarrassed getting grouped together with other G5 schools. They should embrace their G5 status and stop obsessing about OU's move to the SEC.

                                                                                                    On a positive note, OSU has a legitimate chance to add a G5 Championship banner next to their 1945 National Championship banner.




                                                                                                    You're an idiot.

                                                                                                    In 2021-22:
                                                                                                    Of Oklahoma State's 18 varsity sports, 13 produced top-20 national finishes and six produced top-10 national finishes.
                                                                                                    For the eighth time in the last nine years, Oklahoma State won the all-sports OU/OSU Series.
                                                                                                    Oklahoma State produced 40 All-Americans across 14 sports in 2021-22.
                                                                                                    Five OSU student-athletes earned a Big 12 Player of the Year honor in their respective sport.


                                                                                                    But yeah, we should pretend that we are at the G5 level. Partner, I do appreciate the attempt.

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                                                                                    Collapse

                                                                                                    Go To Top

                                                                                                    Collapse

                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1