First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four Things to Look Forward to When Texas and Oklahoma Leave Big 12

Believe it or not, we are about ten weeks away from the start of the college football season. It felt like just yesterday that I was in Arlington watching the Big 12 championship game.

Despite the countdown to kickoff constantly ticking in my head, all I see is talk about Oklahoma and Texas. While the two blueblood programs are planned to be around until the 2025 season, I still find myself wondering what life will be like without them in the Big 12 Conference.

Here are four things to look forward to when Texas and Oklahoma head off to the SEC.

1. Everyone is Equal

It’s no secret who has run the Big 12 Conference over the years. Texas has always made their opinions heard at the table and has been known to use their power to their advantage. That arrogance is what ended up destroying the original Big 12 as Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A&M left the conference. Even when the four new schools came in, nothing changed. Anytime anything happened within the Big 12, the first school mentioned is always Texas. Sure, Oklahoma has always had a seat at the big boy table, but I never felt like they were the ones trying to control everyone and everything. With those two gone, I feel like all schools will be on a level playing field when it comes to important discussions. No matter what school you are, your voice will be heard.

2. Football Season Will Unpredictable

Ever since I have been filling out a preseason Big 12 poll, Oklahoma has been at the top of that list. So far, I have only been wrong once. There’s nothing wrong with Oklahoma winning the Big 12 but whenever anyone talks about the Big 12 title game, the questions is always, “Who is Oklahoma playing?” Last season we got a taste of what is was like without Oklahoma playing in the Big 12 championship and guess what? It was just as fun even if they were there. The game was great and both Oklahoma State and Baylor fans packed Jerry World. Without that preseason favorite on the ballot every year, it is going to be a lot tougher to figure out who is going to win the conference each season. That should make for some amazing, unpredictable football and I can’t wait.

3. New Faces and New Places

I am sure a lot of you have had the opportunity to travel across Big 12 country. Whether it be to Stillwater, Fort Worth, Manhattan or even Morgantown, most of you reading this have been to a Big 12 road game before. I am not here to knock Norman or Austin but the thought of traveling to some of these new places is exciting. Now you can hit the beach when you go to UCF or check out the mountains in Provo. Maybe get some great seafood down in Houston and get a chance to try some of that world famous Skyline chili. No matter where you go, it should be a wonderful opportunity to visit some places you may not be familiar with.

4. Let’s Be Creative

When you hear talking heads talk about the future of college football, nobody ever brings up the Big 12. They want to talk about the SEC being the best thing since sliced bread or the Big Ten’s money. Even the lowly Pac-12 gets talked about more than the Big 12. I get that the conference will miss Texas and Oklahoma just because of the value they bring to the conference but why not have some fun? The Big 12 should embrace the idea of thinking outside the box. When it comes to social media, events, or anything in-between, the conference needs to track the latest trends and help pave the way for the future.

We all know that those TV deals are looming around the corner and of course the Big 12 isn’t going to have the value it once did. However, times have changed. Amazon and Apple have enough money to buy whatever they want and if they show interest in airing Big 12 football then why not go for it? If the Big 12 can get major dollars from anyone, they should be chomping at the bit to get it. Wherever the money is, the Big 12 should follow.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...-leave-big-12/

Mine.

1. Pissing off Aggie just by our mere presence

2. Gaining the "SEC win" benefit in rankings

3. Passing off Little Aggie just by the lack of our presence

4. Shaking off the 'soft' label/perception we have simply by being in the Big 12
    Last edited by TheBoots; 06-22-2022, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I still think something is cooking behind the scenes to get us out well before 2025.

Comment

I am excited that our players will become faster.

Comment

Originally posted by SportyJames View Post
          That patch, yo....fear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
            1. Everyone is Equal

It’s no secret who has run the Big 12 Conference over the years. Texas has always made their opinions heard at the table and has been known to use their power to their advantage. That arrogance is what ended up destroying the original Big 12 as Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A&M left the conference. Even when the four new schools came in, nothing changed. Anytime anything happened within the Big 12, the first school mentioned is always Texas. Sure, Oklahoma has always had a seat at the big boy table, but I never felt like they were the ones trying to control everyone and everything. With those two gone, I feel like all schools will be on a level playing field when it comes to important discussions. No matter what school you are, your voice will be heard.
            To this point, power loves a vacuum. There will be jostling and positioning, and it may even be made worse by the Big XII's loss of prestige because there will be 12 opinions about how to minimize that. BU and UH have the clout to become the leading schools in the conference. BYU too, obviously, but their lack of proximity to the other schools (and a little good ol' fashioned religious bigotry) will likely keep them at bay.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerDave View Post
              I still think something is cooking behind the scenes to get us out well before 2025.

Not only that, there’s rumblings in the Sunflower state that Kansas wants out…
              And would be receptive to B1G or even SEC regaining Mizzou & OU foes…

What I look forward to is 1 of 2 things: an 8 game slate or a 9 game slate…
              OU could rotate vs all teams at least 1x every 2 years (*on the 8 game setup)…

Comment

SKYLINE CHILI ...

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

Not only that, there’s rumblings in the Sunflower state that Kansas wants out…
                  And would be receptive to B1G or even SEC regaining Mizzou & OU foes…

What I look forward to is 1 of 2 things: an 8 game slate or a 9 game slate…
                  OU could rotate vs all teams at least 1x every 2 years (*on the 8 game setup)…
                  Now that's very interesting, because I heard something very similar about Kansas not too long ago. It had died down some, but supposedly they are/were *very* interested in the Big 10 for long -term basketball presence and the interest was mutual. And that KU was more concerned about basketball than football.

Add to that Bowlsby's semi-surprising departure and it just reinforces my "su****ious" meter that something is going on that nobody knows about. We'll see
                  I'm still holding out hope it all happens by 2023.

Comment

Hmmm. Did not even consider the continued existence of Big XII fans, or that they would have thoughts or emotions. That conference is already a faceless "non-person" in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
                      Believe it or not, we are about ten weeks away from the start of the college football season. It felt like just yesterday that I was in Arlington watching the Big 12 championship game.

Despite the countdown to kickoff constantly ticking in my head, all I see is talk about Oklahoma and Texas. While the two blueblood programs are planned to be around until the 2025 season, I still find myself wondering what life will be like without them in the Big 12 Conference.
                      I can look forward to attending games in person. I live in North Alabama and it's a 12 hour one way drive. That's just driving time without stops.

Comment

I'm looking forward to having decent officiating for a change. No more ten minute reviews on an obvious call.

Comment

I’d love the collective melt if KU told the Big12 to fuck right off. The indignation the leftover schools would feel….LOL.

It would be the ultimate troll.

Comment

I'm looking forward to losing my critical thinking skills and being freed from the burden of understanding the complex problems of society and the world.

About 3 SEC! SEC! SEC! chants outta do it.

Comment

this is number one

Comment

So... who's still gonna watch B12 games after OU is gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Longcrawler View Post

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerDave View Post

Now that's very interesting, because I heard something very similar about Kansas not too long ago. It had died down some, but supposedly they are/were *very* interested in the Big 10 for long -term basketball presence and the interest was mutual. And that KU was more concerned about basketball than football.

Add to that Bowlsby's semi-surprising departure and it just reinforces my "su****ious" meter that something is going on that nobody knows about. We'll see
                                    I'm still holding out hope it all happens by 2023.
                                    We need to get the SEC to bring in Kansas.... Guarantees another Texas lose every season!

Comment

Skyline Chili for the win.

I love it, but I grew up on it so I probably like better than most.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Clay View Post
                                        Hmmm. Did not even consider the continued existence of Big XII fans, or that they would have thoughts or emotions. That conference is already a faceless "non-person" in my mind.
                                        Made me think of this. I have ESPN+, and this is a new article. It's also the shortest article ever written.

It says, "No."

(and that's the end of the article, can't believe I'm paying for this.)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Tbird View Post
                                            Skyline Chili for the win.

I love it, but I grew up on it so I probably like better than most.

SKyline is not chili, it is bean soup.

Comment

Originally posted by SportyJames View Post
                                              Quality losses from then onward, too. You can’t deny that.

Comment

Nobody outside of the G6 schools’ fans who comprise it.

Comment

Originally posted by auto View Post

SKyline is not chili, it is bean soup.
                                                  I tried it once and I don't remember any beans in it. Nor any "soup" for that matter.

I remember meat and spaghetti and that the meat sauce was kind of sweet. Of course this was 40 years ago and I was drunk...so maybe I'm misremembering it.

Comment

I just wonder how long before Texas kills the SEC. Texas has effectively killed two conferences in 30 years time. I know the SEC is the biggest, baddest conference since ever but if anyone can kill it, it will be Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post
                                                      I just wonder how long before Texas kills the SEC. Texas has effectively killed two conferences in 30 years time. I know the SEC is the biggest, baddest conference since ever but if anyone can kill it, it will be Texas.
                                                      Texas will fade into irrelevance in the SEC over time.

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post
                                                        I look forward to the fan experience stories as I know some of these SEC fans are going to do things that the UT fans never experienced playing in the Big 12.

Its' clear what the SEC thinks of Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z53JjZL5WsI

Comment

4 things? I think there’s at least 80 million reasons to look forward to.

fuck the Big12.

Comment

I think based on Texas’ arrogance, SEC fans will instantly learn to engage in horns down gestures as frequently as they chant SEC, SEC, SEC.

I think based on Texas’ uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, the Horns can expect to be scheduled as the homecoming opponent for at least five SEC teams in their first year in conference even if some of those teams have to have their activities in Austin

i think based on their performance on the field they will lose two of their three games with Vandy.

I think that based on their recent success rate in competition, all Texas fans now believe their chance for a national title is NIL.

Comment

G5 football fans?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                              X
                                                              UA-124223861-1