Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible factor in seeking to leave B12?

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible factor in seeking to leave B12?

Is it possible that a factor in OU deciding to join the SEC was the result of the gov and ag (both OSU grads) directing $200M in opioid settlement funds to OSU (for a wellness center in Tulsa) and none to OU? OU may have decided that it did not want to subsidize little bro anymore if the politicians did not appreciate it, so decided to cut little bro’s apron strings and look out for its own self interest going forward.

Originally posted by soonerquest View Post
    Is it possible that a factor in OU deciding to join the SEC was the result of the gov and ag (both OSU grads) directing $200M in opioid settlement funds to OSU (for a wellness center in Tulsa) and none to OU? OU may have decided that it did not want to subsidize little bro anymore if the politicians did not appreciate it, so decided to cut little bro’s apron strings and look out for its own self interest going forward.
    The funds that it could get in the SEC and the realities of where the Big 12 was going was the bigger factors. OU/Tx were leaving for either the SEC or Big 10 no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by NickZepp84 View Post

The funds that it could get in the SEC and the realities of where the Big 12 was going was the bigger factors. OU/Tx were leaving for either the SEC or Big 10 no matter what.
      Probably so. Not saying it was the primary factor but the blatant financial favoritism towards OSU may have made the decision easier, or even hastened the ultimate result. OU will make more money and OSU will not do as well with OU/Tx gone.

Comment

Doubt it was a primary factor, but on the list of "oh yeah, and..." it was probably there.

Comment

Kinda on topic: I’m all in favor of not continuing OU/OSU once in the SEC. Why carry their asses any further. OU would have everything to lose and essentially nothing to gain. The SEC schedule will be tough enough.

Comment

Bowlsby’s lack of vision was a big factor too.

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by rhettSodipop View Post

Kinda on topic: I’m all in favor of not continuing OU/OSU once in the SEC. Why carry their asses any further. OU would have everything to lose and essentially nothing to gain. The SEC schedule will be tough enough.
                Then it becomes "ou is afraid to play us". Keep playing them and beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by rhettSodipop View Post

I disagree. I hope we continue to play them every year. We can play thanksgiving weekend like Clemson-SC, Georgia-GaTech, etc. It would be a nice scheduling break and we will beat them 90% of the time or more.

Comment

Opiates? Makes sense

Comment

No. A monumental decision did not depend in any way on supposed petty grievances about the distribution of opiod-settlement funds. Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

Then it becomes "ou is afraid to play us". Keep playing them and beat them.
                        Exactly, this is the dynamic between Ole Miss and Southern Miss, they stopped playing for the same reason that we would stop playing Okie Lite and USM acted as if they were martyrs and Ole Miss was afraid to play them.. when in reality it was just not in Ole Miss's best interests to play them.

Comment

I don’t know about you all; but I don’t think I’ll care too much what happens to oSu once OU moves on down the road. Sort of like how we don’t seem to care much about Colorado and Nebraska anymore.
                          I’d just be delighted for a moment if the “new and improved” BIG 12 falls to G6 status without any traditional power programs in the league. But again, that’s merely something to smirk about in the off-season. I’ll be all in on OU as always.
                          Ask me how many Colorado, aTm, Misery or Nebbish games I’ve watched since they all bailed in 2010/2011… you can count them on one hand.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDSooner View Post

Exactly, this is the dynamic between Ole Miss and Southern Miss, they stopped playing for the same reason that we would stop playing Okie Lite and USM acted as if they were martyrs and Ole Miss was afraid to play them.. when in reality it was just not in Ole Miss's best interests to play them.
                            That’s just silly. OU/OSU has been played 116 times. Ole Miss and S. Miss played 14 times.

Comment

With 4 new additions to the conference I for one would like to see some of it before we leave for the SEC. My reason is because I want to see how we fare against those 4 teams. The Big 12, with only 10 teams, was very bland for the most part with in-conference play. It was the OOC games I probably enjoyed watching the most (2021 being the exception).

Comment

Originally posted by DoDSooner View Post

Best interest is subjective, but I know what you mean. We can just say "you're not good enough to be on our schedule. It's a privilege to play Oklahoma and you don't qualify". Afraid to play them, yeah, we're afraid of playing people. That's why we are moving to the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post
                                  Opiates? Makes sense
                                  I wish YOU did.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel O’Truth View Post

I wish YOU did.
                                    Maybe Brent can get an opiate related donation....since he was the position coach of a player who actually died. Although...it wasn't just opiates, it was the combination of opiates and the regular party pills the dopers use to get high...

Comment

Best interest is subjective, but I know what you mean. We can just say "you're not good enough to be on our schedule. It's a privilege to play Oklahoma and you don't qualify". Afraid to play them, yeah, we're afraid of playing people. That's why we are moving to the SEC.
                                      I think anyone with any sort of sense would see through "OSU isn't good enough to play OU". Certainly we would lose a shit ton to OU but "not good enough"? That's just silly.

OSUs been a top 25 team for pretty much all of Gundy's tenure. Can any of the SEC schools not named Georgia or Bama can say that over the same 15 year time frame? I seriously doubt it. Just because you don't want that to be true, doesn't mean it ain't*.

Comment

Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post

Maybe Brent can get an opiate related donation....since he was the position coach of a player who actually died. Although...it wasn't just opiates, it was the combination of opiates and the regular party pills the dopers use to get high...
                                        You are one sick puppy.

Comment

Originally posted by keef View Post

I think anyone with any sort of sense would see through "OSU isn't good enough to play OU". Certainly we would lose a shit ton to OU but "not good enough"? That's just silly.

OSUs been a top 25 team for pretty much all of Gundy's tenure. Can any of the SEC schools not named Georgia or Bama can say that over the same 15 year time frame? I seriously doubt it. Just because you don't want that to be true, doesn't mean it ain't*.
                                          Oklahoma State has been a key opponent to increase OU's SoS year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Oklahoma State has been a key opponent to increase OU's SoS year after year.
                                            Yeah, I see both sides.

OU against playing OSU: We don't want to keep propping up little brother. Fuck those coattail riding bastards.
                                            OU for playing OSU: They are typically a top 20 team and they rarely beat us. Plus they always find a unique way to choke and/or make fools of themselves. What's not to love?

OSU against playing OU: We always lose to OU. Fuck those backstabbing, sec-bound commies.
                                            OSU for playing OU: How can we afford not to play them? TV revenue matters. They are by far our biggest game of the year.
                                            Last edited by keef; 06-24-2022, 07:33 AM. Reason: changed "or" to be "and/or".

Comment

Best interest is subjective, but I know what you mean. We can just say "you're not good enough to be on our schedule. It's a privilege to play Oklahoma and you don't qualify.” Afraid to play them, yeah, we're afraid of playing people. That's why we are moving to the SEC.
                                              I might be inclined to donate some of my
                                              millions if Joe C would go public with that statement.

Comment

Yeah, I see both sides.

OU against playing OSU: We don't want to keep propping up little brother. Fuck those coattail riding bastards.
                                                OU for playing OSU: They are typically a top 20 team and they rarely beat us. Plus they always find a unique way to choke and/or make fools of themselves. What's not to love?

OSU against playing OU: We always lose to OU. Fuck those backstabbing, sec-bound commies.
                                                OSU for playing OU: How can we afford not to play them? TV revenue matters. They are by far our biggest game of the year.
                                                It’s all fan opinions. OU and OSU have numerous partnerships and friendships between the two schools. Thankfully they are handling themselves better about all of this as a whole than aTm is about it all. The OSU President needed to be encouraged to pipe down in the beginning but that’s been about it.

Still, if Joe C can open every caravan with a corny OSU joke, I think he can deliver the sick burn on them.

Comment

Originally posted by 49cent View Post

It’s all fan opinions. OU and OSU have numerous partnerships and friendships between the two schools. Thankfully they are handling themselves better about all of this as a whole than aTm is about it all. The OSU President needed to be encouraged to pipe down in the beginning but that’s been about it.

Still, if Joe C can open every caravan with a corny OSU joke, I think he can deliver the sick burn on them.
                                                  Yeah, the OSU pres had been on the job about an hour when all that happened. I'm sure she was already excited about being pres. And, of course, we all hate you fuckers on a good day....and that announcement was not a good day. So she gets a pass from me on that. Hopefully shes moved on.

Comment

texas aggies are the biggest whiners of all. I used to not care or even think about them, but the past couple years they have really piped up with their complaining. Win something and let that speak for itself. Otherwise, crawl back into your hole and shut the hole up.

Comment

Honestly you guys are the fat titty the rest of the Big WTFE sucks dry. Texass has a lot of work to get to the middle of the SEC but you guys come in in the top 3 or 4 yet no school swings a bigger stick than any other. I thought that was why you were leaving.

Comment

Come on man, this is the second time in a week that you came on here and disparaged the mighty super duper world class one in a million power SEC conference. How dare you.

Comment

By the way I thought this had all be hashed out back when the original statement came out.

The Real Reason Oklahoma Wants Out of the Big 12

The Sooners have reached a tipping point.West Virginia joined the Big 12 Conference in 2012 and nine years later, may be forced to look into searching for a new conference to call home. In case you missed it, yesterday a report surfaced from Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle that both Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to the SEC about joining the conference to form a 16-team league.

The initial thinking behind this is that revenue is the driving force behind the reason for wanting out of the Big 12. However, that's not the case, at least for Oklahoma. According to our good friend, John Hoover at All Sooners on Sports Illustrated, money has little to do with it in the grand scheme of things.

"OU’s problem is that the 11 a.m. time slot has become a premiere window for Big 12 Conference games on Fox Sports and ABC/ESPN. Fox’s “Big Noon Kickoff” pregame show leads into the network’s 11 a.m. broadcast, and to keep the most eyeballs on their programming, Fox has frequently leaned on OU games. So has ABC/ESPN.

"OU has two kickoff times set for 2021 — and both are at 11 a.m. Last year the Sooners had five 11 a.m. kickoffs out of their 11 games. In 2019, OU had six 11 a.m. games, including a grueling stretch of five
                                                          in a row. And in 2018, Oklahoma had five 11 a.m. kickoffs. That’s 16 morning starts out of 39 total games in the span of three seasons, with more to come."

As much as West Virginia fans hate noon kicks, and rightfully so, you have to understand the frustration coming from Oklahoma. It's not just the kickoff time for the game that they are upset about but having that early of a kick makes it harder for them to recruit nationally. They are unable to bring in guys from different parts of the country because of the early kicks and two high-profile recruits have already had to change which date they are making their visit to Oklahoma because of the kickoff time.

What seemed to really set Oklahoma off was their home game vs Nebraska being set for 11 a.m. This was set to be a weekend where the Sooners were to celebrate the "Game of the Century" and playing
                                                          a night game in a primetime TV slot is something they have been wanting since the day the two schools agreed to play this game years ago.

“We tried every possible avenue to proactively make our case," Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione said in a statement released by Oklahoma. "The Big 12 Conference also supported our strenuous efforts to secure a more traditional time that would honor this game and our fans. However, in the end, our TV partner chose to exercise its full contractual rights and denied our requests.”

Last week at Big 12 media days, Big 12 commissioner, Bob Bowlsby, didn't seem to care too much about Oklahoma's growing concerns of early morning kicks and that did not sit well with OU.
                                                          “He’s certainly entitled to that position,” Bowlsby said, “and he and I talked about it extensively before he made those comments.

“Having said that, we all signed the TV contract. We can change it the next time if we want to change it. But we're going to live by the stipulations of our television agreements and that's what we did on this occasion.”

Should Oklahoma and Texas bolt for the SEC, that will leave the Big 12 with just eight teams remaining and none of which hold enough power to keep the conference at its current status. Would the league search for new teams like BYU? Houston (hey, Dana), or Central Florida? Even if they do, all it does is bring the league back up to 10 teams. It doesn't bring the national relevance back to the league and all of sudden you have a conference that's a mix of Power Five schools with no bluebloods and some smaller schools hoping to make it in the Power Five.

From a geographical standpoint, West Virginia may be in the best position to make its way into a new conference with the ACC and Big Ten right in their backyard. West Virginia has been denied to the ACC in the past but maybe this time around things will change. WVU's facilities are now some of the best you will come across in the country and they are a school that has a long history of winning in both major sports, football, and basketball.

A move by Oklahoma and Texas would put schools like TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, and Kansas in a tough position. Do they go to the Big 10? Do they go to the PAC 12? Or is it a possibility they remain in the league and add three-four more schools? In my opinion, if OU and Texas leave the Big 12, West Virginia will not stick around and wait to see what happens. They want security with a Power conference and staying in a league that at that point would be crumbling apart just doesn't make all that much sense.

https://www.si.com/college/westvirgi...-of-the-big-12

Comment

Meanwhile, Oklahoma State issued a lengthier statement about OU's potential departure.

"We have heard unconfirmed reports that OU and UT approached Southeastern Conference officials about joining the SEC," the OSU statement reads. "We are gathering information and will monitor closely. If true, we would be gravely disappointed. While we place a premium on history, loyalty and trust, be assured, we will aggressively defend and advance what is best for Oklahoma State and our strong athletic program, which continues to excel in the Big 12 and nationally."

keef did you write this for osu

Comment

Money drives realignment in modern college sports. Specifically, TV money, and even more specifically, TV money generated from football. That was the impetus that pushed a big handful of schools to new conferences early in the 2010s: Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers defected to the Big Ten; Colorado and Utah to the Pac-12; and Missouri and Texas A&M to the SEC. Each of those leagues was on the verge of launching or expanding its own TV network, and they sought a footprint in places where cable providers would pay up. There’s no particular virtue in money-driven decisions in an industry where the labor goes unpaid, but the last wave of realignment at least made sense as a necessity on financial grounds. Maryland is no longer cutting a bunch of varsity programs, as it was doing before it boarded the Big Ten lifeboat. Big Ten schools now make more than $50 million per year in media money.

The Texas and Oklahoma moves are not exactly like that, though cash is the driving factor again. The SEC just struck up a mammoth TV deal with ESPN, which starts in 2024. Either that deal was made with the Texas and Oklahoma news in mind, or the conference will want to renegotiate. Otherwise, the SEC would be agreeing to split TV revenue 16 ways rather than 14. For their part, Texas and OU both think they’ll get a larger piece of that 16-team pie than of the 10-team pie they currently share in the Big 12. (That’s even with Texas getting special rights to have its own ESPN-operated TV channel, the Longhorn Network.) The math seems sound. A Big 12 revenue share is now around $40 million per school per year, while the SEC’s number is around $45 million and about to shoot way, way higher than that.

https://slate.com/culture/2021/07/te...ion-money.html

Comment

Breathe Mazeppa, breathe. This all happened last summer.

Comment

Breathe Mazeppa, breathe. This all happened last summer.
                                                                  I know I pointed that out in post #29, and I didn't start this redundant thread. Just participating.

Comment

I’m liking the new league rivalry posters (SEC) for the diamond natty in Omaha:

OU is gonna have to put up a few “This is SEC country” signs in Payne county…

Comment

Yeah, the OSU pres had been on the job about an hour when all that happened. I'm sure she was already excited about being pres. And, of course, we all hate you fuckers on a good day....and that announcement was not a good day. So she gets a pass from me on that. Hopefully shes moved on.
                                                                      Dude… on some levels I get it. I admit it’s no sweat off my back what happens to the rest of the BIG 12 stuck in purgatory. However, if Texas bailed and stuck OU in a shit contract situation I think we’d all have a different opinion on it here.

That all being said, the oSu president HAD to have been super pissed to have zero intel on it all. Being university president is a huge ordeal and one of the things you’d think you’d be able to count on is a solid athletic deal with a conference to help fund things on campus. I’ll bet more than just the new locker room gadgets went completely up in smoke in her mind.
                                                                      For a moment she probably felt like the people invested in Enron when that all came down. Easy to pick out the in-state “rival” and throw a fit.

Comment

Dude… on some levels I get it. I admit it’s no sweat off my back what happens to the rest of the BIG 12 stuck in purgatory. However, if Texas bailed and stuck OU in a shit contract situation I think we’d all have a different opinion on it here.

That all being said, the oSu president HAD to have been super pissed to have zero intel on it all. Being university president is a huge ordeal and one of the things you’d think you’d be able to count on is a solid athletic deal with a conference to help fund things on campus. I’ll bet more than just the new locker room gadgets went completely up in smoke in her mind.
                                                                        For a moment she probably felt like the people invested in Enron when that all came down. Easy to pick out the in-state “rival” and throw a fit.
                                                                        I get it too. She'd been the President for literally 20 days. Same for the Athletic Director. That's a tough spot and I don't hold anything against them on how things went down there for a bit. But I appreciated TT's response much better.

And yeah, I've been on an OU message board for well over 20 years now. I've seen you all through many ups and downs. Had TX somehow done that without OU knowing it would have been fucking pandemonium.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
                                                                          Meanwhile, Oklahoma State issued a lengthier statement about OU's potential departure.

"We have heard unconfirmed reports that OU and UT approached Southeastern Conference officials about joining the SEC," the OSU statement reads. "We are gathering information and will monitor closely.

If true, we would be gravely disappointed.

While we place a premium on history, loyalty and trust, be assured, we will aggressively defend and advance what is best for Oklahoma State

keef did you write this for osu
                                                                          So OU is the villain for kicking OSU to the curb and protecting their interest?

Comment

Originally posted by Jett View Post

So OU is the villain for kicking OSU to the curb and protecting their interest?
                                                                            I fail to see where you get that out of my post.

Comment

#39

I fail to see where you get that out of my post.
                                                                              Think, Mazeppa. It's not about you. My phone is acting up so I couldn't bold the exact words that I wanted to highlight.

My point being, it is ok for OSU to look after their interest but OU is a villain for doing the same thing. OU doesn't owe OSU a darn thing.

THey don't need to apologize for not tipping off the rest of the G5 schools. OU didn't need to seek permission from OSU to leave the WAC 12. Wallflower made a huge mistake when he bound OU to a GOR agreement. That decision could have permanently damaged OU Football as we know it. Fortunately, OU got a second bite at the apple and Joe took advantage of it.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Why would I want to think? I still don't see how you thought that I thought that OU was the villain because I jokingly asked Keef if he wrote those lines in the article. If you've been around here for any length of time you'd know how I fell about osu. It's no secret ask Keef.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Why would I want to think? I still don't see how you thought that I thought that OU was the villain because I jokingly asked Keef if he wrote those lines in the article. If you've been around here for any length of time you'd know how I fell about osu. It's no secret ask Keef.
                                                                                  Good grief, Mazeppa, I realize that. My post was not about you. After reading the quote you posted from OSU's new President, I was asking a rhetorical question. I apologize if I offended you.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    I was just tickled anyone thought I could write legibly.

<insert dexter manley reference here>

Comment

#43

Okay, Mazeppa, I will ask Keef. Keef, is Mazeppa a closet OSU fan?

Comment

#44

Okay, Mazeppa, I will ask Keef. Keef, is Mazeppa a closet OSU fan?
                                                                                        Maz hates fOSU with a burning passion.

Comment

#45

Thanks for clearing that up. After scrolling back through several pages. I wasn't sure if Mazeppa was a die-hard OU fan or a closet OSU fan. I'm kidding Mazeppa.
                                                                                          Last edited by Jett; 06-28-2022, 04:28 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by 1soonerinoregon View Post

You are one sick puppy.
                                                                                            You just now realized that?. If you understand why shit like that doesn't result in at least a temporary ban then you understand the reason that rat bastard is allowed to continue postings crap like that.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Why would OU be butthurt about not getting funded to build something in Tulsa? OSU’s way closer.

Comment

#48

I misplaced my reading glasses. tOSU or fOSU?

Comment

#49

I misplaced my reading glasses. tOSU or fOSU?
                                                                                                  f

I write to my audience.

On Edit: though Maz may hate t as well? I'm not as well versed in his overall hatreds.

Comment

#50

Damn, how did that one get by me?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1