First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma Could Be a ‘Dark Horse’ College Football Playoff Contender

Danny Kanell: Oklahoma Could Be a ‘Dark Horse’ College Football Playoff Contender in 2022

The Oklahoma football program has experienced a massive amount of turnover in the 2021-22 offseason, perhaps more than anyone else in college football.

The Sooners lost their head coach, entire defensive staff, 12 players to the NFL Draft or Free Agency, 13 other players to graduation, and another 13 players to the transfer portal.

Still yet, the Sooners added 12 players from the portal at key positions that are prepared to contribute, along with several highly-touted incoming freshman that are ready to carve out a role immediately and added Brent Venables, who brought in one of the best coaching and support staffs in America.

With all of that turnover, CBS Sports’ personality Danny Kanell thinks that things in Norman might be looking up.

“I think Oklahoma could be just as good offensively as they’ve been in this Lincoln Riley run with Dillon Gabriel coming to town and with Jeff Lebby running that offense,” Kanell said on the “Cover 3 Podcast”. “What has been Oklahoma’s hang-up in the Riley tenure? It was the defensive side of the ball. He brings in Alex Grinch, and they get a little bit better, but they were by no means a juggernaut defensively. Brent Venables is a defensive-minded coach, who is going to try to change the culture and have a tougher Oklahoma team than we have seen. Schedule sets up nicely. I think Oklahoma could be right back where they usually reside at the top of the Big 12, and if things fall their way, they could be right on the cusp of another playoff appearance. I don’t think they’re gonna be a pick many people make to reach the playoff.”

After everything that Oklahoma has had to overcome this offseason, it would be easy to expect a down year, but anonymous coached told Athlon Sports that they believe Venables is the perfect fit for Oklahoma.

“The definition of OU ball is that no matter what they’re doing schematically, they’re mean,” the coach said. “They’re harder than the other team. That’s what Brent loves to do. His identity fits perfectly. They just need to play ball and ignore the noise about their old coach.”

We only have about 10 more weeks before we see what Oklahoma looks like under Venables, and before we see if Kanell is onto something with the Sooners.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...ender-in-2022/

I'd say the entire Big 12 has been a dark horse pretty much the past decade.

Comment

Originally posted by keef View Post
      When it comes to the playoffs other than OU the entire Big 12 has been a dead horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

When it comes to the playoffs other than OU the entire Big 12 has been a dead horse.
        Here's a fun stat: more SEC teams missed the college football playoffs since it's inception than Big 12 teams....

Comment

Meh. Second year head coach and second year lefty QB transfer wins it all in the 2023 season. History always repeats itself at some point.

Comment

Racist post reported

(Can't be too careful these days)

Comment

Are you saying that because that dead horse was frequently beaten by many people at various times?

Comment

Our prospects all depend on two things, the Nebraska game and Dillon Gabriel’s health. If we’re 3-0 heading into conference play, we could absolutely get on a roll. If we’re 2-1, we’ll be rather deflated heading into conference play and may drop two or three more games. If Gabriel goes down early in the season like he did last year at UCF, we’re in big trouble.

Comment

Danny Kanell: Oklahoma Could Be a ‘Dark Horse’ College Football Playoff Contender in 2022

The Oklahoma football program has experienced a massive amount of turnover in the 2021-22 offseason, perhaps more than anyone else in college football.

The Sooners lost their head coach, entire defensive staff, 12 players to the NFL Draft or Free Agency, 13 other players to graduation, and another 13 players to the transfer portal.

Still yet, the Sooners added 12 players from the portal at key positions that are prepared to contribute, along with several highly-touted incoming freshman that are ready to carve out a role immediately and added Brent Venables, who brought in one of the best coaching and support staffs in America.

With all of that turnover, CBS Sports’ personality Danny Kanell thinks that things in Norman might be looking up.

“I think Oklahoma could be just as good offensively as they’ve been in this Lincoln Riley run with Dillon Gabriel coming to town and with Jeff Lebby running that offense,” Kanell said on the “Cover 3 Podcast”. “What has been Oklahoma’s hang-up in the Riley tenure? It was the defensive side of the ball. He brings in Alex Grinch, and they get a little bit better, but they were by no means a juggernaut defensively. Brent Venables is a defensive-minded coach, who is going to try to change the culture and have a tougher Oklahoma team than we have seen. Schedule sets up nicely. I think Oklahoma could be right back where they usually reside at the top of the Big 12, and if things fall their way, they could be right on the cusp of another playoff appearance. I don’t think they’re gonna be a pick many people make to reach the playoff.”

After everything that Oklahoma has had to overcome this offseason, it would be easy to expect a down year, but anonymous coached told Athlon Sports that they believe Venables is the perfect fit for Oklahoma.

“The definition of OU ball is that no matter what they’re doing schematically, they’re mean,” the coach said. “They’re harder than the other team. That’s what Brent loves to do. His identity fits perfectly. They just need to play ball and ignore the noise about their old coach.”

We only have about 10 more weeks before we see what Oklahoma looks like under Venables, and before we see if Kanell is onto something with the Sooners.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...ender-in-2022/
                  OU will be better under Venables. Probably as soon as this coming season . Guaranteed. We will look at the riely departure as a blessing soon. I see OU winning a national championsip in the next 2-3 years under venables. Heck, riley never mentioned a NC .
                  Not to mention the debacle in the sugar bowl against LSU and the Rose Bowl loss to Georgia... i think Riely got an easy pass because everyone thought he is the guy . The results show we descended every year under Riley who inherited a humming team from Stoops.

Comment

Any team other than bama, Clemson and Georgia has to be considered a dark horse to win the CFP until they actually do it (yes this includes you Ohio State with or without your "the")
                    Last edited by Shitbird; 06-24-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

RAT POISON!
                      Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Basel90 View Post
                        We will look at the riely departure as a blessing soon.
                        I already am.

Comment

To get a good word for the Sooners from any of those guys on the Cover 3 podcast is an accomplishment. Though it does not surprise me it came from Kanell. He's about the only sensible one on the podcast.

Tom Fornelli is a Big 10 snob. He calls Lincoln Riley ... " Lincoln " , like they're really close friends.

Elliot is borderline idiot whose deep into analytics.

The Chip guy ......... IDK.

Comment

Nothing will surprise me this season other than I don't think we will have a losing season. We could go 7-6 or win the whole thing or anything in between. The lower win totals would likely be if we lost our QB to injury. The higher win totals would be if we stay healthy and our defense makes a quantum leap to elite status.

Comment

Could be.

Comment

IDK who Tom George is , but this sounds good

Comment

Danny Kannell??

Puh

Comment

Of course.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post
                                      Our prospects all depend on two things, the Nebraska game and Dillon Gabriel’s health. If we’re 3-0 heading into conference play, we could absolutely get on a roll. If we’re 2-1, we’ll be rather deflated heading into conference play and may drop two or three more games. If Gabriel goes down early in the season like he did last year at UCF, we’re in big trouble.
                                      Surely you're not seriously concerned about the Nebraska game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shitbird View Post
                                        Any team other than bama, Clemson and Georgia has to be considered a dark horse to win the CFP until they actually do it (yes this includes you Ohio State with or without your "the")
                                        You really think Ohio State is more of a dark horse then Clemson to win it? Whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by drnlaw View Post

You really think Ohio State is more of a dark horse then Clemson to win it? Whatever.
                                          Or LSU….

about same odds. Or maybe MS ST,

Comment

Well, couldn’t be much of a Stranger Thing(s) than what happened in 2000 with a ragtag squad..?

Of course Oklahoma has a shot to win: XII title & get CFP invite, after that, never doubt Eleven.!!
                                            Last edited by kopp0e; 06-25-2022, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Yes.

Most books in Vegas has OU a 3 pt fav. If you're not concerned, you need to be putting a lot of money on the Sooners.

Comment

I wasn't worried until the Huskers took mighty tOSU to the precipice last season.

If they could do that to the fearsome Buckeyes...what could they do to our lil 'ole Sooners up there in Lincoln.

Seriously though, I can't stand the thought of losing to Casey Thompson. Not really because of him but due to the fact that his dad did more damage to the OU brand than anyone else in program history. Charles still claims he "loves OU", and OU has returned the embrace. But still, it would irk me if we lost to Casey after Charles helped wreck OU's program.

Comment

Its not necessarily Nebraska. 3rd game of season on the road after major overhaul of personnel. Any D1 team would be a concern. If Neb is undefeated, crowd is going to be a major factor due to history.

Comment

I am. Apprehensive of all games...

Comment

They played us within 7 last year and y’all within 9. They should be improved. Why wouldn’t I be concerned about that game?

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post

They played us within 7 last year and y’all within 9. They should be improved. Why wouldn’t I be concerned about that game?
                                                        Dunno. I guess I'm just used to seeing them lose most every game of note in recent years. I suppose it comes in part from my Big Ten perspective – we were hoping that we were bringing in a power team that would at least be regularly competing for division titles and give Wisconsin a run for its money. Not going to happen anytime soon, I fear.

While I won't be surprised if Nebraska gives OU a game, I'll be shocked if they win this one.

Comment

While I won't be surprised if Nebraska gives OU a game, I'll be shocked if they win this one.
                                                          The space between giving a team a game and beating it is millimeters.

Comment

I’m going into the season with zero expectations. As long as I see improvement from game to game and OU defense playing traditional OU defense and that by seasons end, once the players fully know the playbook, is dominant and have the talking head referring to OU as a team to be taken seriously next season.

Comment

Here's a fun stat: more SEC teams missed the college football playoffs since it's inception than Big 12 teams....
                                                              SEC has a bigger conference. That would make 4 more a year that wouldn’t make the playoffs as compared to the BIG WTFE. Probably not a math major

Comment

Originally posted by XXL TideFan View Post

SEC has a bigger conference. That would make 4 more a year that wouldn’t make the playoffs as compared to the BIG WTFE. Probably not a math major
                                                                Probably need to turn on your sarcasm meter

Comment

The SEC is the very same size as the ACC and Big Ten. And all 3 brag on how many teams qualify for bowls and March Madness. Many years, the Big XII has a higher percentage of its ten members in these post season games.

Comment

You hate facts?

Comment

Dark horse? The CFP has been around for 8 seasons and OU has made the field 4 times. Only Bama and Clemson have been there more often.

Comment

Originally posted by MichSooner View Post

The SEC is the very same size as the ACC and Big Ten. And all 3 brag on how many teams qualify for bowls and March Madness. Many years, the Big XII has a higher percentage of its ten members in these post season games.
                                                                        Stop with facts, that’s not why they’re here.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Its not necessarily Nebraska. 3rd game of season on the road after major overhaul of personnel. Any D1 team would be a concern. If Neb is undefeated, crowd is going to be a major factor due to history.
                                                                          Well, they just lost a starting offensive lineman for a failed drug test

Comment

Stop. Four losses at least.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post
                                                                              Stop. Four losses at least.

Hey dumbass! Seriously, why are you here? If I spent my entire day trying to piss people off on a message board I have no explanation why I would even consider such a dumbass idea. Please explain your stance?

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by OUrage View Post

Hey dumbass! Seriously, why are you here? If I spent my entire day trying to piss people off on a message board I have no explanation why I would even consider such a dumbass idea. Please explain your stance?

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by SEC View Post

With all due respect, I was replying to your girlfriend ree-ree
                                                                                  Last edited by OUrage; 06-25-2022, 09:27 PM.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    I was talking to your girlfriend reeree
                                                                                    Damn, you posted a different message.

Dont fk with reeree

Comment

#43

Lost their number one and number two QB, best players either declared or transferred and it’s a whole new staff with a coach who has never been a head coach before. All new systems and even some of Bob’s teams that were supposed to be the next big thing lost four…and five games before.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post
                                                                                        Lost their number one and number two QB, best players either declared or transferred and it’s a whole new staff with a coach who has never been a head coach before. All new systems and even some of Bob’s teams that were supposed to be the next big thing lost four…and five games before.
                                                                                        I am aware.

But thanks.

I was just re quoting Rage whose post has been on repeat for last hour.

Comment

#45

I am aware.

But thanks.

I was just re quoting Rage whose post has been on repeat for last hour.
                                                                                          Why don’t you two do some sex posting. It would be classic and no one would be shocked.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Why don’t you two do some sex posting. It would be classic and no one will be shocked.
                                                                                            Nice try, codsack.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Why don’t you two do some sex posting. It would be classic and no one would be shocked.
                                                                                              And why we at it, Rage, you need to go back and retrieve that last Batman avatar or whatever that was you had. Was pretty kewl.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                And to reiterate…Danny Kannell???

Puh

Comment

#49

And why we at it, Rage, you need to go back and retrieve that last Batman avatar or whatever that was you had. Was pretty kewl.
                                                                                                  I could have a Texas Turd as my avatar and everyone here, except your girlfriend socali, would think mine is better.

Comment

#50

I could have a Texas Turd as my avatar and everyone here, except your girlfriend socali, would think mine is better.
                                                                                                    Wait, your avatar of ___ would be more popular than your Texas turd avatar? What would be the ____?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1