Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Sports Figure is the Biggest Traitor to the State of Oklahoma?

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Sports Figure is the Biggest Traitor to the State of Oklahoma?

I can only think of two.....Lincoln Riley and Kevin Durant. I think Lincoln wins the dubious title hands down. Are there other figures I am forgetting?

That dude they named the stadium after in Austin.

Comment

Riley did OU a huge favor by departing. It's DKR by a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by zcaa0g View Post
        Riley did OU a huge favor by departing. It's DKR by a mile.
        Was Royal offered the OU job before he took the Texas job?

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post

That he coached the whorns did not make him a traitor but rather he seemingly HATED Oklahoma.

Too bad the ghost of Darrel Royal cannot tell us what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post

[sarc] Why yes. In a moment of incredible stupidity, OU offered to fire Bud and give the job to DKR. Everyone knows that. [/sarc]

Comment

Originally posted by MuleshoeSooner View Post
              I can only think of two.....Lincoln Riley and Kevin Durant. I think Lincoln wins the dubious title hands down. Are there other figures I am forgetting?
              When you think of the impact though, I give it to Durant. His leaving destroyed the Thunder. OU is going to be OK without Riley. Some, including me, say we are better off.

No one said the Thunder are better off without Durant.

DKR is a good choice too.
              Live Free or Die!

Comment

Durant— Thunder treated him well. Best medical help for injury, no pressure to return until he felt like it. Instead of allowing a sign and trade, he leaves Thunder without any return. Then bad mouths Thunder organization.

Comment

Originally posted by zcaa0g View Post
                  It's DKR by a mile.
                  By way more than a mile.

Think about it. Royal went to Texas and OU was at the pinnacle of college football. We beat him his first year and then he beat us 12 out of 13 years and the OU program essentially crashed.

People were frustrated in the 1960s because it hurt so bad to lose to our former QB... who on two occasions turned down the opportunity to come back to OU. But I don't think it was hate.

It was the 1970s when OU beat him five straight and he started whining and crying about cheating and spying that the hate really escalated. And while some of his complaints might have been justified the fact of the matter is that OU was beating him with mostly Oklahoma HS players that he (and Keef) claim we had to cheat to get. Of course there was Greg Pruitt and a handful of Black players from Texas that Royal wouldn't recruit... and Little Joe Washington who he tried to recruit and was indignant about the fact that he couldn't get.

One story that Leon Cross told back in the day was that Royal was asking Big Joe Washington why Little Joe wasn't going to come to Texas. Big Joe pointed out that he had been coaching Black HS players in Texas for 20 years and that Texas had never lifted a finger to recruit any of them. He told Royal that had any of his players had a successful track record at Texas he might feel differently. And that Little Joe could make up his own mind where he wanted to go.

And there was the fact that Royal hated Switzer... but Switzer's boss Wade Walker was one of Royal's best friends.

The whole deal was awesome theater in the early and mid '70s. Was and always will be the best OU-Texas period in as far as being a competitive blood feud with all kinds of underpinnings.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerquest View Post
                    Durant— Thunder treated him well. Best medical help for injury, no pressure to return until he felt like it. Instead of allowing a sign and trade, he leaves Thunder without any return. Then bad mouths Thunder organization.
                    I can't fault any professional athlete for switching teams. The pro game in any sport is driven by money and the pursuit of championships that only enough money thrown around by a team can buy. Heck, even Cleveland fans welcomed Lebron back when he returned and you know how much they absolutely hated him after he went to Miami.

No, this thread has to be about college sports as that is where Oklahoma's (the state) history is rooted.

Comment

Does the figure have to have been born and raised in Oklahoma?

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

When you think of the impact though, I give it to Durant. His leaving destroyed the Thunder. OU is going to be OK without Riley. Some, including me, say we are better off.

The thing that Durant did that hurt so much is the Thunder got very little in compensation for his loss. Russel Westbrook, on the other hand, worked with management and that allowed OKC to eventually get several first round picks. That tells me Durant was a dishonest snake about his intentions with Sam Presti.
                        Last edited by MuleshoeSooner; 06-24-2022, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

Does the figure have to have been born and raised in Oklahoma?
                          No. Just a figure initially held in high esteem by fans in the state who later turned out to be phoney.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

By way more than a mile.

Think about it. Royal went to Texas and OU was at the pinnacle of college football. We beat him his first year and then he beat us 12 out of 13 years and the OU program essentially crashed.

People were frustrated in the 1960s because it hurt so bad to lose to our former QB... who on two occasions turned down the opportunity to come back to OU. But I don't think it was hate.

It was the 1970s when OU beat him five straight and he started whining and crying about cheating and spying that the hate really escalated. And while some of his complaints might have been justified the fact of the matter is that OU was beating him with mostly Oklahoma HS players that he (and Keef) claim we had to cheat to get. Of course there was Greg Pruitt and a handful of Black players from Texas that Royal wouldn't recruit... and Little Joe Washington who he tried to recruit and was indignant about the fact that he couldn't get.

One story that Leon Cross told back in the day was that Royal was asking Big Joe Washington why Little Joe wasn't going to come to Texas. Big Joe pointed out that he had been coaching Black HS players in Texas for 20 years and that Texas had never lifted a finger to recruit any of them. He told Royal that had any of his players had a successful track record at Texas he might feel differently. And that Little Joe could make up his own mind where he wanted to go.

And there was the fact that Royal hated Switzer... but Switzer's boss Wade Walker was one of Royal's best friends.

The whole deal was awesome theater in the early and mid '70s. Was and always will be the best OU-Texas period in as far as being a competitive blood feud with all kinds of underpinnings.
                            Also....For many years DRK had most of the major Texas Newpapers and others in the media attacking OU at every opportunity. This caused great damage to the entire University of Oklahoma that to some degree still exist to this day in the minds of some older Texans.

OU did offer DRK the head coaching job but this was after Wilkinson was gone. OU could not afford to pay DRK as much as what UT was....so he stayed at UT.

Comment

I know he's just Lincoln's little toady and IMO has been OU's dirty little secret for the better part of 30 years, but Clarke Stroud was a fucking Walker Tower RA and a Ruf/Nek before falling upward through the administrative hierarchy over three decades. Durant and Riley were never attached that long, nor DKR.

Comment

If midget tossing was a sport socali would win hands down.
                                Last edited by OUrage; 06-25-2022, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Pokes:

Comment

Not2121

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post
                                      Also....For many years DRK had most of the major Texas Newpapers and others in the media attacking OU at every opportunity. This caused great damage to the entire University of Oklahoma that to some degree still exist to this day in the minds of some older Texans.

OU did offer DRK the head coaching job but this was after Wilkinson was gone. OU could not afford to pay DRK as much as what UT was....so he stayed at UT.

The press thing is absolutely true however it had existed to a great degree during the Wilkinson era as well when we were beating them. But you right. It was way out of control during the Switzer years. I always remember the annual "OU is a shitty school that is controlled by football" articles the DMN would put on the front page of the Friday paper that week. The front page. Not the sports page.

That's why I always laugh when people say that Dallas is a "neutral" site. It might be better now, but back then it damn sure wasn't.

As far as Royal coming to OU. I think they said that OU actually offered more than Texas was originally paying him and then Texas gave him a big raise and gave him "tenure".

If I remember right, Texas bumped his salary clear up to 25K a year. LOL.

Comment

What Durant did was more like if Riley had left OU’s HC job to become the OC at Alabama. But Durant was what he was long before he got to OKC, and was always going to be a superstar anywhere. OU made Riley. OU deserved more consideration and respect from him than the Thunder did from Durant.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                          What Durant did was more like if Riley had left OU’s HC job to become the OC at Alabama. But Durant was what he was long before he got to OKC, and was always going to be a superstar anywhere. OU made Riley. OU deserved more consideration and respect from him than the Thunder did from Durant.
                                          No problem with Durant or anyone else moving on for more money or whatever. Just don't sh!t on the people who treated you very well while you were there. That shows the true measure of the man. Way more than any other championship he may win.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

No problem with Durant or anyone else moving on for more money or whatever. Just don't sh!t on the people who treated you very well while you were there. That shows the true measure of the man. Way more than any other championship he may win.
                                            He's a whorn. Always suspected it would end poorly with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Eclipse View Post

Exactly this. Put all your trust and love into a fucking Longhorn, and this is what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Eclipse View Post

Riley grew up in a house where both parents had graduated from The university of Texas. Riley rooted for UT while growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shitbird View Post
                                                  I can't fault any professional athlete for switching teams. The pro game in any sport is driven by money and the pursuit of championships
                                                  I get tired of the "Okies got their feelers hurt because they don't know how professional sports work" line. Just because we hadn't had a pro team before the Thunder doesn't mean none of us had never rooted for a pro team before.

No, the problem with Durant was much the same problem with Riley. He quit on the job. Riley quit in early September of 2021 but kept cashing paychecks until December. The Thunder had the Warriors down 3-1 and Durant went into a shell. We had a legit chance at a championship but Durant couldn't be bothered to finish the season. Then, much like Riley, he tried to paint his previous employer as a bad guy and himself as an innocent.

That's the problem people here have with him. We're not rubes. We know how business works. But we also expect you to do the job that you're paid to do until you leave.

Comment

Seeing as the criteria is the whole state, I gotta go with KD as he's not only seen as a traitor by the state, but also the whole country. His tribune post is still a popular meme 6 years later. He could have gone to any other team and no one would be talking about it anymore, but going to the team you just choked a 3-1 lead to is a problem. Celtics, Knicks, Wizards... no one would have blamed him for leaving.

A lot of the country sees LR situation similarly, but not to the extent as KD's.

DKR is high in principle because it's texas.

Honorable mention to Les Miles, I understand little brother fans hating the guy that bailed on you after beating OU twice in a row. LSU was an upgrade though, and they knew it.

I want to include Caleb Williams in the mix - after his blogs, media hype to OU, Sooner Summit, and miracle against texas - he throws that all away for USC. Seeing that he's under 20 and was only wanting to play for one coach, I wouldn't put him high on the list.

Comment

By way more than a mile.

at least have the balls to actually tag me Rup. I just lucked into this mention.

Two rebuttals to the bolded:

1. it wasn't just me that thought you were cheating in the 70s, the NCAA thought so too both in 1973 and 1980
                                                      2. my entire point, of which you seem to have missed, is that OU (and other blue bloods) started cheating WAY before then. I mean, OUs cheating history dates into the 20s. Though I guess it technically wasn't cheating until the late40s/early 50s, by rule. And then you got busted in '56 and '60. And I wasn't casting shadow on your cheating at all. I WISH fOSU had been better cheaters than OU back then. It's how the blue bloods became the blue bloods.

On Edit: I really just wish OSU had cheated well enough to actually win a real title once. But, like most of the folly of OSU football, we found a way to get seriously busted by the NCAA without the benefit of winning the title, like so many other schools were able to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
                                                        Seeing as the criteria is the whole state, I gotta go with KD as he's not only seen as a traitor by the state, but also the whole country. His tribune post is still a popular meme 6 years later. He could have gone to any other team and no one would be talking about it anymore, but going to the team you just choked a 3-1 lead to is a problem. Celtics, Knicks, Wizards... no one would have blamed him for leaving.

A lot of the country sees LR situation similarly, but not to the extent as KD's.

DKR is high in principle because it's texas.

Honorable mention to Les Miles, I understand little brother fans hating the guy that bailed on you after beating OU twice in a row. LSU was an upgrade though, and they knew it.

I want to include Caleb Williams in the mix - after his blogs, media hype to OU, Sooner Summit, and miracle against texas - he throws that all away for USC. Seeing that he's under 20 and was only wanting to play for one coach, I wouldn't put him high on the list.
                                                        Riley at least took on a challenge…whether he realizes the extent of it or not. Durant violated a lot of fans’ sense of competition and sportsmanship as a superstar leaving a good team to latch onto the only better team, a team that won it all before him and continues to win after him.

But Riley still beats around the bush with all these little failed PR campaigns. Durant was always up front about what he wanted, even if it was worth a lot less in fans’ eyes than if he’d done it in OKC or nearly anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

Riley at least took on a challenge…whether he realizes the extent of it or not. Durant violated a lot of fans’ sense of competition and sportsmanship as a superstar leaving a good team to latch onto the only better team, a team that won it all before him and continues to win after him.

But Riley still beats around the bush with all these little failed PR campaigns. Durant was always up front about what he wanted, even if it was worth a lot less in fans’ eyes than if he’d done it in OKC or nearly anywhere else.
                                                          If I were Durant, I'd feel like any championships I won on a super team were kinda empty.

Comment

Riley grew up in a house where both parents had graduated from The university of Texas. Riley rooted for UT while growing up.
                                                            When Riley first came here, and for several years after, you were his biggest knob-slobber.

You made countless posts about how he was "raw-boned" with a strong West Texas work ethic / family background.

You posted often about him being a small town, family oriented guy who would never leave Norman for the big city.

Don't try to act now like you knew all along he would become a traitor.

You have a strong track record of changing your tune and forgetting your past posts.

For example, you were the biggest proponent of OU moving to the B1G, but as soon as the move to the SEC was announced you acted as if that had been your desire all along.

Your changes of tune are well documented here. You cannot escape your past.

Live Free or Die!

Comment

ROYAL, DARRELL K. (1924–2012).

Darrell K. Royal, born in Hollis, Oklahoma, on July 6, 1924, helped Coach Bud Wilkinson build the post–World War II University of Oklahoma (OU) Sooners football dynasty, and later went south of the Red River to build his own dynasty with the University of Texas Longhorns. He coached Texas to twenty consecutive winning seasons, including sixteen bowl appearances, three national championships, and six consecutive Southwest Conference titles. His teams were undefeated twice and won eight bowl games among ten appearances in the Cotton Bowl, three in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl, and one each in the Orange, Sugar, and Gator bowls.

Royal joined the Sooners as a player in 1946 and became an All-American quarterback. He also played defensive back and was a punter in 1948, when the Sooners went undefeated and beat Louisiana State 35–0 in the Sugar Bowl. His ninety-six-yard punt return remains an OU record, and the Sooners earned a 36–6–1 record during his four years as a player.

End thread

Comment

Durant had 8 seasons with the Thunder, 9 with the organization. I'd say he earned his right to go where he wanted to as a FA. Besides, he went to the Warriors - my favorite team, so there phfffft.

I liked LR and was glad he was here when he was here, and just as glad he left when he left. And he didn't go to the horns.

DKR wins hands-down.

Comment

When Riley first came here,
                                                                  You made countless posts about how he was "raw-boned" with a strong West Texas work ethic / family background.

You posted often about him being a small town, family oriented guy who would never leave Norman for the big city.

In defense of 48 I felt the same way. Figured he'd be way more comfortable in this part of the country. In the end it turns out that he is more like a guy from this part of the country who wanted to go to Hollywood to be a singer or a movie star.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

He did not move on for more money— Thunder would have paid the max—

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post

If I were Durant, I'd feel like any championships I won on a super team were kinda empty.
                                                                      Yes. I'd put him below Chris Bosch, in a somewhat similar situation.

Hmm who comes to mind.

Durant for sure I think mainly just because he is such a bitch and his championship has really proven to be more about others than his being a championship type player.
                                                                      Russ, but he was really never the face of the Thunder like KD. But still a whiny short tempered ball hog end of game choking little bitch.

Troy Aikman and Jeremy Shockey type situations were actually smart moves so really no animosity. The Kohlar kid but again he had good reasons and it worked out but he would have been great to have in Norman.

Comment

Originally posted by keef View Post

at least have the balls to actually tag me Rup. I just lucked into this mention.

Two rebuttals to the bolded:

1. it wasn't just me that thought you were cheating in the 70s, the NCAA thought so too both in 1973 and 1980
                                                                        2. my entire point, of which you seem to have missed, is that OU (and other blue bloods) started cheating WAY before then. I mean, OUs cheating history dates into the 20s. Though I guess it technically wasn't cheating until the late40s/early 50s, by rule. And then you got busted in '56 and '60. And I wasn't casting shadow on your cheating at all. I WISH fOSU had been better cheaters than OU back then. It's how the blue bloods became the blue bloods.

On Edit: I really just wish OSU had cheated well enough to actually win a real title once. But, like most of the folly of OSU football, we found a way to get seriously busted by the NCAA without the benefit of winning the title, like so many other schools were able to accomplish.
                                                                        Sort of like the guy who robs a 7-11 for only $8, then gets shot in the kneecap by an elderly woman and goes to p​​​rison on top of that.

Comment

In defense of 48 I felt the same way. Figured he'd be way more comfortable in this part of the country. In the end it turns out that he is more like a guy from this part of the country who wanted to go to Hollywood to be a singer or a movie star.
                                                                          Fine, but you weren't taking every opportunity to explain to everyone how great a guy you thought he was.

These gems are from October 2018:

Let me ask you something….how often do you speak with in person or communicate with people who cover our local sports or work for OU sports…. Some more that others but several of us here do with some regularity….I live within 2 miles of where many of these folks live. A few know me by my first name…you live hundreds of miles away. We know more than you do!

Mrs. Riley has said many months ago and Lincoln did confirm it too. They do not want their kids growing up in a big city environment… They are REMOTED small town folks at heart…As long as we treat the Riley’s well.... it’s hard to see him wanting to going anywhere until his kids reach college age.

Riley is smart enough to know that he has a real opportunity to build a great dynasty at OU….that is historic even by OU standards.

Riley’s personality isn’t nearly as money driven as Bob’s…He knows that he will be paid very well and for a very long time if he builds OU into what I am sure he sees coming.

He knows that living in Norman as the head football coach at OU is one of the top football jobs in the entire sport. He know that even for coaches the NFL= Not for Long...So why risk the great deal he has that will become greater.
                                                                          There is only one other university in a position to ever make a run at Riley. I see this as a very unlikely possibility but it’s the university that his parents graduated from. Most their would hate the idea of taking an OU guy.

Riley will IMHO be OU’s head coach for a very long time…He may even break Bennie Owen record for longevity at OU.
                                                                          Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post
                                                                            Durant had 8 seasons with the Thunder, 9 with the organization. I'd say he earned his right to go where he wanted to as a FA.
                                                                            The issue wasnt that he left.

Comment

#39

That explains the belly button tattoo.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post

This is correct. If NBA gave a shit they could certainly get some folks for tampering.

Comment

#41

For me, there was no issue at all. Go Dubs!

Comment

#42

For me, there was no issue at all. Go Dubs!
                                                                                    Congrats on being a whorn fan I guess.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Durant had 8 seasons with the Thunder, 9 with the organization. I'd say he earned his right to go where he wanted to as a FA. Besides, he went to the Warriors - my favorite team, so there phfffft.

I liked LR and was glad he was here when he was here, and just as glad he left when he left. And he didn't go to the horns.

DKR wins hands-down.
                                                                                      My biggest complaint about Durant was the fact he wasn't upfront with the Thunder front office and didn't give them a chance to accommodate his wish to be traded while receiving something more than what they got in return. And he did it in a chickenshit manner because he wanted a ring. I think that more than anything cratered his reputation. I don't think GS fans see him as anything mire than a mercenary.

As you can tell from my board handle I was a huge fan of Riley's. I graduated from HS with his uncle and lived a couple houses down from his mother's family so the way he handled his departure was extremely disappointing. He has also damaged his reputation in a big way. And the people from our hometown who I keep up with feel he handled the situation poorly although they aren't Sooner fans so they don't feel as strongly about his actions as I do.
                                                                                      Last edited by MuleshoeSooner; 06-28-2022, 10:48 AM.

Comment

#44

My biggest complaint about Durant was the fact he wasn't upfront with the Thunder front office and didn't give them a chance to accommodate his wish to be traded while receiving something more than what they got in return. And he did it in a chickenshit manner because he wanted a ring. I think that mire than anything cratered his reputation. I don't think GS fabs see him as anything mire than a mercenary.

As you can tell from my board handle I was a huge fan of Riley's. I graduated from HS with his uncle and lived a couple houses down from his mother's family so the way he handled his departure was extremely disappointing. He has also damaged his reputation in a big way. And the people from our hometown who I keep up with feel he handled the situation poorly although they aren't Sooner fans so they don't feel as strongly about his actions as I do.
                                                                                        This is the deal. You don't have to be a Sooner fan to feel he shit on the folks that made him. I'm not a Thunder fan at all but can recognize that Durant did his organization dirty. Him being a Horn for 6 months certainly helps me bash him.

Comment

#45

Congrats on being a whorn fan I guess.
                                                                                          Horn fan for a CA based team? Does not compute. I was just yankin' some Thunder chains - seemed to be working. I don't think of what happens at a pro team to be traitorous to Oklahoma. I assumed the thread meant the school - which is part of Oklahoma. A pro team may be in Seattle one day, OKC another and some other city in the future based on the whim of some rich people. Besides, Durant was a horn that played in OKC for 8 years. That had to be a dagger in the heart for some horn fans.

Comment

#46

Fine, but you weren't taking every opportunity to explain to everyone how great a guy you thought he was.

These gems are from October 2018:

In 48’s defense, 2018 was another world in the landscape of college football. It seemed that we could just steamroll the Big 12 forever whether or not we attempted to play defense, and at most half a dozen programs were buying players at a level that was of any concern to our recruiting.

This isn’t the same job it was before the summer of 2020.

And four years of being the head guy and making OU HC money can change a man, too.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Nobody's mentioned "The OU Athletic Department" as the biggest traitor to the state? Bunch of fucking OU homers around here.....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                              X
                                                                                              UA-124223861-1