First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How The Big 12 Falls Apart and Dies, Pt. 2

The Big 12 Conference could find a way to survive, again. But, if the Big 12 dies, how will it happen now?

With USC and UCLA officially moving to the Big Ten in 2024, the dominoes are starting to set up again across college football, just as they were last year when Oklahoma and Texas announced they were moving to the SEC in 2025.

There is obvious concern that the Big Ten may not be done. There are obvious questions about what the Big 12 will do next. There are serious questions about the Pac-12’s survival.

There are too many scenarios to count at this point. The Big 12 could find a way to live.

But, what if it can’t? How does it happen?

I wrote about this topic last year, and at the time my assumption was that the other four conferences — that’s the ACC, the Big Ten, the Pac-12 and the SEC — were trying to count to 16, so to speak.

That assumption is out the window now. No idea is too crazy at this point. No scenario is too far-fetched.

Now, a year later, THIS is how the Big 12 COULD die.

West Virginia (and others) go to the ACC

Last year, I wrote that West Virginia made a lot of sense for the ACC, and I still believe that. But, if the ACC wants to count higher than its current 14 (15 if you count Notre Dame for the non-football sports), then the ACC should not only take in the Mountaineers, but they should loop in Cincinnati and UCF as well. Both schools can help the ACC in football, and if Cincinnati reclaims its Bob Huggins glory days, the Bearcats can enhance their basketball portfolio, too.

Also, watch Houston here. The ACC doesn’t have a presence in the country’s most talent-rich state, and the ACC could make a play for the Cougars. Houston, like Cincinnati and UCF, are working quickly to make their facilities Power 5 quality.

Kansas gets BIG

With USC and UCLA jumping ship (and perhaps more Pac-12 teams to follow), I still think the one Big 12 team the Big Ten would still be interested in is Kansas. I think the Big Ten will swallow the bad football program to get that basketball program in the conference. Kansas inquired last year. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Jayhawks inquired again, and the league listened just a little bit harder.

As for the rest …

With the teams in the eastern time zone out the door, with Kansas headed for the Big 12, the remaining teams — Baylor, BYU, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech — have little choice but to head west and join the Pac-12. Or, perhaps it’s the rest of the Pac-12 heading east to join the Big 12. At that point, it would hardly matter to the leftovers.

They would just need a place to play.

There are so many scenarios, it’s too much to count. But if the Big 12 does, finally, die, this is how I think it goes down.

What do you think?

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...part-2-pac-12/

I've always thought the XII was the most vulnerable Power 5 conference.
    I've always thought the final Power configuration was four conferences of roughly equal size, nominally around sixteen.
    The XII will be pulled apart with some going East to merge with the ACC and some going West to merge with the PAC.
    Note, I said merge since the names may change.
    Nor, do I think the final alignment must include all of the current members of Power conferences.

Comment

There's a lot of possible scenarios, including the revival of the SWC, which might take in just as many teams as the rest of the conferences. Those G5 teams as well as some of the DII got to go somewhere, and some of them play pretty darn good ball and have beaten some good P5 teams, as in App St. bringing the stump-breaker to a few of those "so-called Blue Bloods". As you said, anything is possible and wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Comment

I think the OP has it about right.

But if the end game is 18 or 20 teams for the SEC and/or B1G it gets weird again.

Comment

KSU football, ISU football, and KU basketball deserve to end up in a good place. I've got nothing against these programs or their fans / boosters, and really wish the best for them. Everyone else not mentioned here^ can get fucked and left for dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
            With the teams in the eastern time zone out the door, with Kansas headed for the Big 12, the remaining teams — Baylor, BYU, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech — have little choice but to head west and join the Pac-12. Or, perhaps it’s the rest of the Pac-12 heading east to join the Big 12.
            ku "headed to the big 12"?

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerMagick View Post
              KSU football, ISU football, and KU basketball deserve to end up in a good place.
              I imagine someone will take KU based on basketball. Funny thing is that if their football was even mediocre (like KU football was for most of it's history)...

They might already be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

I imagine someone will take KU based on basketball. Funny thing is that if their football was even mediocre (like KU football was for most of it's history)...

They might already be gone.
                KU has sure been making a lot of noise about jumping ship, which seemingly became louder before the USC/UCLA news happened. That made me wonder if they had been making overtures to the BIG or if something had been in the works that KU would be called if Plan A (USC/UCLA) happened.

I have no idea, but I agree with you. If KU was even close to being somewhat competitive like the Mangino years, KU would be in a pretty good position to upgrade. KU's short run of success with Mangino and Glen Mason should hint a larger money injection could get their football program headed in a better direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
                  The Big 12 Conference could find a way to survive, again. But, if the Big 12 dies, how will it happen now?

With USC and UCLA officially moving to the Big Ten in 2024, the dominoes are starting to set up again across college football, just as they were last year when Oklahoma and Texas announced they were moving to the SEC in 2025.

There is obvious concern that the Big Ten may not be done. There are obvious questions about what the Big 12 will do next. There are serious questions about the Pac-12’s survival.

There are too many scenarios to count at this point. The Big 12 could find a way to live.

But, what if it can’t? How does it happen?

I wrote about this topic last year, and at the time my assumption was that the other four conferences — that’s the ACC, the Big Ten, the Pac-12 and the SEC — were trying to count to 16, so to speak.

That assumption is out the window now. No idea is too crazy at this point. No scenario is too far-fetched.

Now, a year later, THIS is how the Big 12 COULD die.

West Virginia (and others) go to the ACC

Last year, I wrote that West Virginia made a lot of sense for the ACC, and I still believe that. But, if the ACC wants to count higher than its current 14 (15 if you count Notre Dame for the non-football sports), then the ACC should not only take in the Mountaineers, but they should loop in Cincinnati and UCF as well. Both schools can help the ACC in football, and if Cincinnati reclaims its Bob Huggins glory days, the Bearcats can enhance their basketball portfolio, too.

Also, watch Houston here. The ACC doesn’t have a presence in the country’s most talent-rich state, and the ACC could make a play for the Cougars. Houston, like Cincinnati and UCF, are working quickly to make their facilities Power 5 quality.

Kansas gets BIG

With USC and UCLA jumping ship (and perhaps more Pac-12 teams to follow), I still think the one Big 12 team the Big Ten would still be interested in is Kansas. I think the Big Ten will swallow the bad football program to get that basketball program in the conference. Kansas inquired last year. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Jayhawks inquired again, and the league listened just a little bit harder.

As for the rest …

With the teams in the eastern time zone out the door, with Kansas headed for the Big 12, the remaining teams — Baylor, BYU, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech — have little choice but to head west and join the Pac-12. Or, perhaps it’s the rest of the Pac-12 heading east to join the Big 12. At that point, it would hardly matter to the leftovers.

They would just need a place to play.

There are so many scenarios, it’s too much to count. But if the Big 12 does, finally, die, this is how I think it goes down.

What do you think?

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...part-2-pac-12/
                  SMH I keep forgetting marijuana is legal. Some of the amateur YouTube guys chugging beers have a more realistic take on college realignment.

Comment

BYU, Iowa State, Kansas, KState, OK State, and Texas Tech should join the 10 remaining Pac schools and form a Pac 16 ASAP. That conference would be much more stable than the amalgamation of private, directional, and commuter schools that the Big 12 has become.

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post
                      BYU, Iowa State, Kansas, KState, OK State, and Texas Tech should join the 10 remaining Pac schools and form a Pac 16 ASAP. That conference would be much more stable than the amalgamation of private, directional, and commuter schools that the Big 12 has become.
                      Then we move to an 8 team playoff with the 4 conf champs and 4 at large?

sec gets in 3-4 year
                      b1G gets in 2-3 year
                      acc and pig 12 get 1 each.

also, I’ve copywriter “pig 12” already.

Comment

Originally posted by keef View Post

sec gets in 3-4 year
                        b1G gets in 2-3 year

Works for me. However, if the SEC and Big 10 want a 12 team playoff, we will have a 12 team playoff. Pig 16 would be a better representation of the number of teams in the conference.

Comment

No mercy for fosu. Gundy wore a tshirt that resulted in him being made one of his own player's prison bitch. You all know the tshirt, and I'm not here to bring up / debate whether that was "wrong" or not, I simply hope it gets PERCEIVED as wrong, and PAC steers clear of fosu because it happened, only for the reason of "fuck osu," and nothing else implied.

Comment

sec gets in 3-4 year
                            b1G gets in 2-3 year

Lol Pig 12. We finally agree on something.

Please don't tell me Boone is going to rise up and save OSU football from the tsunami that is stalking in the ocean floor.

You can't stay at the Ritz Carlton if you have a beer wallet.

Comment

sec gets in 3-4 year
                              b1G gets in 2-3 year

Let’s be honest. It makes college football more fun. With players getting paid now, tons of new narratives open up. Some stuff will take away the sanctity of college football, but that was already happening with bowl games basically being meaningless due to the top players opting out for the draft.

A loss at the end of the season as opposed to the beginning won’t be an automatic season ender. All the best teams will be playing from scratch once the playoffs start. We won’t have to roll our eyes through as many OOC games against glorified high school teams. The quality of each game goes up. Conferences will largely be more like divisions and there will be less dumb arguments about conference strength. You’ll have your blue bloods battling it out, and the regional Cinderella teams from the lower conferences slip in from time to time to see if they can actually hang.

I wouldn’t even mind a 12-team playoff if it means we can get away from all the dead time between thanksgiving and the big games. December immediately becomes more fun for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ousoonerman93 View Post

KU has sure been making a lot of noise about jumping ship, which seemingly became louder before the USC/UCLA news happened. That made me wonder if they had been making overtures to the BIG or if something had been in the works that KU would be called if Plan A (USC/UCLA) happened.

I have no idea, but I agree with you. If KU was even close to being somewhat competitive like the Mangino years, KU would be in a pretty good position to upgrade. KU's short run of success with Mangino and Glen Mason should hint a larger money injection could get their football program headed in a better direction.
                                KU's admins have to be loud, whether they have a spot worked out or not, because their BMDs and fans are convinced that KU belongs in a better spot. Maybe they'll end up being right. Maybe not. Can't really tamp down on all of that anger when you're trying to raise money. You need to convince them to spend money for the eventual exit ramp.

I think they've finally done a good job with a football hire. They need to win, draw fans again, and upgrade their football facilities as much as possible.

Comment

When texsa is gone from the Big XII that removes the mad cow disease, arterial blockage, syphilis, and cancer tumors (shifted to the SEC). So we might need to re-think this paradigm. The Big XII might thrive ... after texsa is gone.

The old Big 8 thrived yuugely in yesteryear pre-texsa/pre Big XII.

Perhaps the strength of the SEC will serve as an "immune system" to destroy the ailments that texsa brings to infect.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Clay View Post
                                    When texsa is gone from the Big XII that removes the mad cow disease, arterial blockage, syphilis, and cancer tumors (shifted to the SEC). So we might need to re-think this paradigm. The Big XII might thrive ... after texsa is gone.

The old Big 8 thrived yuugely in yesteryear pre-texsa/pre Big XII.
                                    No bluebloods, Nebraska and OU are both gone. They made the Big 8 legit, and the rivalry between the two was the stuff of legend. CU popped their head out of the prairie dog hole every once in a while, as did Mizzou, but they're both gone, too.

Comment

Originally posted by camel at sea View Post

KU's admins have to be loud, whether they have a spot worked out or not, because their BMDs and fans are convinced that KU belongs in a better spot. Maybe they'll end up being right. Maybe not. Can't really tamp down on all of that anger when you're trying to raise money. You need to convince them to spend money for the eventual exit ramp.

I think they've finally done a good job with a football hire. They need to win, draw fans again, and upgrade their football facilities as much as possible.
                                      I also like KU's football coach, and as you said, KU should be active. I don't think the BIG will ultimately want them, but I could see the ACC or PAC happy to have them.

Comment

The bell began tolling for the Big XII when Colorado and Nebraska left in 2011, and then Missouri and A&M left in 2012. Baylor and TCU joining in 2012 provided some initial oxygen, since both football programs were performing at a high level. But after realignment possibilities--like OU going to the Pac12--were floated and then sank--the end was in sight. The Big XII elected to stay with ten teams, at least two of which--the big dogs--were flirting with suitors. Between 2011 and 2021, money--huge TV money--came increasingly to dominate the football landscape and decisions about it. OU and Texas went for the money, leaving the Big XII to scramble--and add teams, which it had declined to do earlier. The Big XII remains on life support in a world where it makes sense for UCLA and Rutgers to become rivals.

Comment

BIG 12(Ha) fell apart the day OU and TU was discovered leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by Balko View Post
                                            The bell began tolling for the Big XII when Colorado and Nebraska left in 2011, and then Missouri and A&M left in 2012. Baylor and TCU joining in 2012 provided some initial oxygen, since both football programs were performing at a high level. But after realignment possibilities--like OU going to the Pac12--were floated and then sank--the end was in sight. The Big XII elected to stay with ten teams, at least two of which--the big dogs--were flirting with suitors. Between 2011 and 2021, money--huge TV money--came increasingly to dominate the football landscape and decisions about it. OU and Texas went for the money, leaving the Big XII to scramble--and add teams, which it had declined to do earlier. The Big XII remains on life support in a world where it makes sense for UCLA and Rutgers to become rivals.
                                            Good summary, except Baylor was an original big 12 member.

Comment

Works for me. However, if the SEC and Big 10 want a 12 team playoff, we will have a 12 team playoff. Pig 16 would be a better representation of the number of teams in the conference.
                                              Way it’s looking, Riley better drag USC from
                                              the depths of hell to make any other conference relevant to even sniffing a NCS besides SEC and B1G. And that’s provided that USC stays in the PAC. Past that??? Shame on everyone else’s fucking ass.

(at this point in time, OU made a great and remarkable decision in joining the SEC, TX as well…but fk them)

Comment

Take a break.

Comment

The culture clash of the Left Coast and the Red States these teams are from will be an obstacle in this day and age.

Comment

I also like KU's football coach, and as you said, KU should be active. I don't think the BIG will ultimately want them, but I could see the ACC or PAC happy to have them.
                                                    KU to the Big East and going independent in football rumors won’t go away until it happens. Obviously, it would be a move for hoops, which begs the question why not look at the ACC, but geographically and market wise the Big East makes more sense.

Comment

When it's all said and done there will most some interesting alignments and the rest will resemble ConferenceUSA.

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post
                                                        BIG 12(Ha) fell apart the day OU and TU were discovered leaving.
                                                        The Big 12 really was diagnosed with a terminal illness when Big 10 commissioner, Jim Delaney, began name-dropping Missouri and Texas as potential expansion members, and Mizzou's governor celebrated the move before Mizzou even had an invite. That was the same time the Longhorn Network was getting ready to be released, further pissing A&M and OU off. Colorado had wet dreams of being in the Pac since the late 80s, and Nebraska was mad they lost their Prop 48 advantage and had Texas' balls shoved down their throat anytime the Huskers complained.

The conference looked pretty good on paper, and for a while was a very competitive football league, but the dysfunction and flirts from other conferences made the Big 12 ripe for suffering from a Big East Syndrome, which is essentially where it's at today.

Boren fucked OU in the ass, first by being embarrassed by the PAC 12 snub and trying to spin he was 'bluffing' by pretending to love equal revenue sharing and locking our asses into this ridiculously long grant of rights bullshit. If my memory serves me correctly, even Texas wanted a shorter grant of rights, but Texas got to keep its LHN and continue calling the shots, so they were thrilled OU was going to have to be quiet for a while. Even then, most of us OU fans didn't believe the Big 12 would be OU's home for long, hence the endless realignment threads since the Big 12's initial ultimate demise.

The only part about OU moving to the SEC that truly surprises me is I did not expect the conference change to take this long, being gullible to think OU had a way around the GOR. But since I'm usually stupid when it comes to conference realignment, I would not have been completely surprised had OU and Texas remained in the Big 12 beyond their initial GOR ended and a new one was signed. So, what do I know..

The Big 12 will likely continue to retain its Rasputin status, but it's similar to a once top product being bought by another company that then turns it into cheap ass shit. Some people love the big name, but most understand its current value for what it is.

Comment

[QUOTE=SEC;n1024037]SEC started smoking poles when they first discovered them.

Sounds about right to me.

Comment

The Big 12 really was diagnosed with a terminal illness when Big 10 commissioner, Jim Delaney, began name-dropping Missouri and Texas as potential expansion members, and Mizzou's governor celebrated the move before Mizzou even had an invite. That was the same time the Longhorn Network was getting ready to be released, further pissing A&M and OU off. Colorado had wet dreams of being in the Pac since the late 80s, and Nebraska was mad they lost their Prop 48 advantage and had Texas' balls shoved down their throat anytime the Huskers complained.

The conference looked pretty good on paper, and for a while was a very competitive football league, but the dysfunction and flirts from other conferences made the Big 12 ripe for suffering from a Big East Syndrome, which is essentially where it's at today.

Boren fucked OU in the ass, first by being embarrassed by the PAC 12 snub and trying to spin he was 'bluffing' by pretending to love equal revenue sharing and locking our asses into this ridiculously long grant of rights bullshit. If my memory serves me correctly, even Texas wanted a shorter grant of rights, but Texas got to keep its LHN and continue calling the shots, so they were thrilled OU was going to have to be quiet for a while. Even then, most of us OU fans didn't believe the Big 12 would be OU's home for long, hence the endless realignment threads since the Big 12's initial ultimate demise.

The only part about OU moving to the SEC that truly surprises me is I did not expect the conference change to take this long, being gullible to think OU had a way around the GOR. But since I'm usually stupid when it comes to conference realignment, I would not have been completely surprised had OU and Texas remained in the Big 12 beyond their initial GOR ended and a new one was signed. So, what do I know..

The Big 12 will likely continue to retain its Rasputin status, but it's similar to a once top product being bought by another company that then turns it into cheap ass shit. Some people love the big name, but most understand its current value for what it is.
                                                            You understand the “ins and out” more than me.

Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post

You understand the “ins and out” more than me.

Good post.
                                                              Ha...The stories we could tell. :-). You know how it is. We think we know what's going on, only to be blindsided by something completely unexpected. The Big 12's problems stemmed from the King of college football at the time, Nebraska, feeling encroached upon and having a system that worked very well for them taken away. I would say Prop 48 contributed more to NU's demise than the move to the BIG, where they lost the ability to recruit Texas more effectively. A&M always harbored resentment for Texas, and Colorado has always been a band of holier-than-thou asscracks pretending to hold their nose in the Big 8 and then Big 12 at the mere stench of us common folk of the Great Plains. CU's decade and some change run at a solid football program made the motherfuckers insufferable.

OU and Texas reaping the most financial fallout every year irked everyone else a bit, too since there was no equal revenue sharing. The Big 12 always felt like a boy band that was assembled for superstardom that broke up once the egos couldn't get along.

I do feel good believing all this conference reshuffling stuff is nowhere close to being settled for a long time. I'm just glad, at least for the time being, OU will be in a very solid conference other schools wish they could be part of....Of course, OU has to get out of this stupid shit lame-duck situation..hopefully, sooner than later.
                                                              Last edited by ousoonerman93; 07-03-2022, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Ha...The stories we could tell. :-). You know how it is. We think we know what's going on, only to be blindsided by something completely unexpected. The Big 12's problems stemmed from the King of college football at the time, Nebraska, feeling encroached upon and having a system that worked very well for them taken away. I would say Prop 48 contributed more to NU's demise than the move to the BIG, where they lost the ability to recruit Texas more effectively. A&M always harbored resentment for Texas, and Colorado has always been a band of holier-than-thou asscracks pretending to hold their nose in the Big 8 and then Big 12 at the mere stench of us common folk of the Great Plains. CU's decade and some change run at a solid football program made the motherfuckers insufferable.

OU and Texas reaping the most financial fallout every year irked everyone else a bit, too since there was no equal revenue sharing. The Big 12 always felt like a boy band that was assembled for superstardom that broke up once the egos couldn't get along.

I do feel good believing all this conference reshuffling stuff is nowhere close to being settled for a long time. I'm just glad, at least for the time being, OU will be in a very solid conference other schools wish they could be part of....Of course, OU has to get out of this stupid shit lame-duck situation..hopefully, sooner than later.
                                                                Pm sent.

Comment

Originally posted by echo101 View Post
                                                                  When it's all said and done there will most some interesting alignments and the rest will resemble ConferenceUSA.
                                                                  #gorillabrain

Comment

The Big 12 remains on life support in a world where it makes sense for UCLA and Rutgers to become rivals.
                                                                    ooh! I bet dozens fans from California to New York are sitting on the edge of their seat for that matchup!

maybe they can just meet halfway in Lawrence and play to more fans than the normal attendance of a ku home game.

Comment

The university has no interest in football. A bowl every ten years would keep a coach for at least fifteen years!

Comment

Originally posted by blackfrancois View Post

ooh! I bet dozens fans from California to New York are sitting on the edge of their seat for that matchup!

maybe they can just meet halfway in Lawrence and play to more fans than the normal attendance of a ku home game.
                                                                        Also to more fans than at a typical UCLA or Rutgers game.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfrancois View Post

move the game to KC

Comment

Originally posted by echo101 View Post

move the game to KC
                                                                            KC?

Puh

Comment

#39

sec gets in 3-4 year
                                                                              b1G gets in 2-3 year

Just don't try to put a THE in front of it. Our lawyers are watching!

Comment

#40

sec gets in 3-4 year
                                                                                b1G gets in 2-3 year

Here's the logo for your new conference:

Comment

#41

Honestly, I think the delay is due to several things - get facilities improved and let BV get his program settled before moving. But I also think Joe C is determined to not give the Big 12 any money, or as little as possible. I have to wonder if not including Texas and Oklahoma in the voting to add teams will backfire on the Big 12. We didn't get to agree to changing the revenue sharing to include the new teams. So the 8 other teams should share their revenue with the 4 new teams. Or we could go to court. And now with the meeting scheduled for tomorrow, there could be an additional 4 teams...

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Last year I thought for sure the Big 12 would die out. Now it looks like it will be the Pac.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by BajaOklahoma View Post

Honestly, I think the delay is due to several things - get facilities improved and let BV get his program settled before moving. But I also think Joe C is determined to not give the Big 12 any money, or as little as possible. I have to wonder if not including Texas and Oklahoma in the voting to add teams will backfire on the Big 12. We didn't get to agree to changing the revenue sharing to include the new teams. So the 8 other teams should share their revenue with the 4 new teams. Or we could go to court. And now with the meeting scheduled for tomorrow, there could be an additional 4 teams...
                                                                                      Those are strong possibilities. I actually am starting to think the networks will work something out, making it easier for OU and Texas to depart earlier than scheduled, but we shall see.

Comment

#44

Those are strong possibilities. I actually am starting to think the networks will work something out, making it easier for OU and Texas to depart earlier than scheduled, but we shall see.
                                                                                        It should be easy to work out. If OU/UT leave after 2022 season, we're only talking about five games to work out. ESPN and FOX split the home games. Two seasons FOX gets three one season and two the next. ESPN gets two one season and three the next. There are only six home games per season and one of those is a Tier Three owned by the schools. So we're down to only five games belonging to FOX. ESPN owns the SEC contract. Should be workable. Perhaps ESPN and FOX might work a deal for FOX to carry a game or two in 2023 and 2024 with all the rest being on ESPN.
                                                                                        Last edited by RocketCitySooner; 07-04-2022, 02:47 PM.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by drnlaw View Post

Just don't try to put a THE in front of it. Our lawyers are watching!
                                                                                          I realize you were being sarcastic.

I hope somebody challenges that nonsense and the Supreme Court would agree to hear the case. If the challenge made it to the highest court, I have a feeling THE Ohio State would lose.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by BajaOklahoma View Post

So let me see if I understand this correctly......We were not included in voting to add new teams and we did not get to agree to the change of revenue sharing to include the new teams, and now we are adding more teams that we will not have a say about their inclusion or the additional revenue sharing....right so far? Help me understand how this would not be a breach of contract by the conference that would allow immediate termination of our obligation to remain until 2025?

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Crimson47 View Post

So let me see if I understand this correctly......We were not included in voting to add new teams and we did not get to agree to the change of revenue sharing to include the new teams, and now we are adding more teams that we will not have a say about their inclusion or the additional revenue sharing....right so far? Help me understand how this would not be a breach of contract by the conference that would allow immediate termination of our obligation to remain until 2025?
                                                                                              That is a good question. Seems like the Big12 is holding us hostage for no good reason.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Jett View Post

I realize you were being sarcastic.

I hope somebody challenges that nonsense and the Supreme Court would agree to hear the case. If the challenge made it to the highest court, I have a feeling THE Ohio State would lose.
                                                                                                Possibly. But the limitations written into the trademark application and approval are narrow enough that the ones most likely to challenge it are counterfeiters of Ohio State gear, and the Supreme Court is not likely to have a lot of sympathy for them. If you want a brief legal view of the issue, this article from the National Law Journal may be helpful. https://www.natlawreview.com/article...ity-trademarks

Comment

#49

Possibly. But the limitations written into the trademark application and approval are narrow enough that the ones most likely to challenge it are counterfeiters of Ohio State gear, and the Supreme Court is not likely to have a lot of sympathy for them. If you want a brief legal view of the issue, this article from the National Law Journal may be helpful. https://www.natlawreview.com/article...ity-trademarks
                                                                                                  Thanks for clearing that up. Similar to Horns Down. So a t-shirt that says fOSU would be legal?

Comment

#50

Right. The Supreme Court is likely to side with corporate interests. And it's not like TOSU sought a trademark "the" all by itself. Although a t-shirt in Ohio State Colors with an outlined "The" in "Ohio State Collegiate" font might run afoul.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1