Official

Where are you seeing this?

Comment

Comment

He’s probably worth a 5th.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Browns play Carolina week 1. That should be fun.

Comment

Ugh. Was hoping for Seattle.

Comment

Panthers GM Scott Fitterer delivered on his promise that the team would add a quarterback this offseason by agreeing to a trade with the Cleveland Browns involving Baker Mayfield, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

The Panthers will send a 2024 5th round pick in exchange for the 27-year-old veteran quarterback He will be on the final year of his rookie contract. To make the deal happen, the Browns have agreed to pay $10.5 million of Mayfield's 2022 salary ($18 million).

Mayfield, the former No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft spent the first four years of his career with the Browns and lifted them out of hard times to their first playoff appearance since 2003. During his time with Cleveland, Mayfield threw for 14,125 yards and 92 touchdowns to just 56 interceptions.

Although Mayfield is not a clear long-term answer for the Panthers at quarterback, it at least gives them a chance to be more competitive in 2022. Sam Darnold has had his fair share of struggles in the league and despite showing flashes here and there, there's been too much inconsistency and bad decision making with him under center. This will give the Panthers a quarterback room that consists of Mayfield, Darnold, and P.J. Walker.

Comment

Baker is paying back 3.5 mil to GTFO of Cleveland. Wow.

Comment

Mayfield and Darnold in the same QB room. That would be interesting.

Comment

Carolina is a place where you can win some games at least. New Orleans is in transition. Falcons are mediocre. Now Tampa is gonna be a loss twice this year but if you can win 3 of 4 of the other 2 you can probably fight for the playoffs. They play Cleveland week 1, Arizona week 4. Rams week 6. Tampa Bay week 7 and 17, Cincinnati week 9, Baltimore week 11.

Comment

So when is everyone trading in the Browns 6 jerseys for Carolina 6 jerseys?

Comment

https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-trad...th-round-draft

yippee
                            Last edited by NWOSURanger; 07-06-2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickZepp84 View Post
                              Carolina is a place where you can win some games at least. New Orleans is in transition. Falcons are mediocre. Now Tampa is gonna be a loss twice this year but if you can win 3 of 4 of the other 2 you can probably fight for the playoffs. They play Cleveland week 1, Arizona week 4. Rams week 6. Tampa Bay week 7 and 17, Cincinnati week 9, Baltimore week 11.
                              Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
                              Ugh. Was hoping for Seattle.
                              I was hoping for Seattle too. But Seattle is destined for last place in their very strong division. Carolina has an outside chance of 2nd place in their division.

Comment

Probably not going to be much of financial loss for Mayfield. He should make it up by remaining in the public eye to get some lucrative endorsement deals.

Waiting for the Progressive commercial where Baker is shopping insurance on his new 'home'.

Comment

Comment

That's probably going to Deshaun for a conditional 25th round masseuse.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBurglar View Post

Probably not going to be much of financial loss for Mayfield. He should make it up by remaining in the public eye to get some lucrative endorsement deals.

Waiting for the Progressive commercial where Baker is shopping insurance on his new 'home'.
                                      Carolina themed progressive commercials will probably have to be a bit more creative.

Comment

why not sit out the season and collect the full $19mil from cleveland?
                                        why throw away $3.5 mil?

Comment

Richard Petty will be Baker's new neighbor in the new Progressive commercials.

Comment

This is Baker's make or break year. If he makes it he'll probably get a big deal next year as someone's QB even if Carolina decides to move on to the QB they drafted.

Comment

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post
                                              why throw away $3.5 mil?
                                              It’s a good look on his part. Shows he wants to compete and was willing to help his previous employer complete the trade for him to do so. Also helps to be with a new team before training camp opens up to learn a new system rather than get traded midseason. If he balls out and gets a hefty payday with Carolina or some other team after the season, the $3.5 won’t seem that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by BobStoopsReal View Post

It’s a good look on his part. Shows he wants to compete and was willing to help his previous employer complete the trade for him to do so. Also helps to be with a new team before training camp opens up to learn a new system rather than get traded midseason. If he balls out and gets a hefty payday with Carolina or some other team after the season, the $3.5 won’t seem that bad.
                                                This. If he sat out he could become another Colin Kapernick

Comment

Sitting out a year would make it hard to anyone sign him. Just like if he plays this year and stinks he'll probably be hard to sign. If he plays well he probably gets a starting job somewhere that needs a QB.

Comment

Browns play Carolina week 1. That should be fun.
                                                    Probably why they dragged it out so long…..so he’d be less prepared.

Comment

Sitting out a year makes it hard for anyone to sign him? Hmmm… I seem to recall another QB sitting out a year and signing for $250M all guaranteed. Of course, you can’t bank on another team being Browns level retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel O’Truth View Post
                                                        Sitting out a year makes it hard for anyone to sign him? Hmmm… I seem to recall another QB sitting out a year and signing for $250M all guaranteed. Of course, you can’t bank on another team being Browns level retarded.
                                                        He's about to sit out 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post
                                                          why throw away $3.5 mil?
                                                          Maybe because he’s not completely stupid.

If he sits a year, he’s even less valuable than this season Colin Crapernick found that out the hard way.

AND he missed an opportunity this season to audition for a new contract next season.

14 QB’s getting paid $27.5 MM or more this year, on long contracts.

But lots of guys paid $7-10 on 2-3 year contracts.

If he performs well in 2022, his contract will be 5-6 years at $15-$30 MM…

If he sits, probably get a 2-3 year deal at $7-10.

Comment

And if/when he gets injured ... it's all over.

I'm seeing a Sam Bradford trend here. Was sad to see him to go Cleveland ... very sad to see him in Carolina.

Comment

1. BM is not Deshaun Watson. Watson is better than Mayfield. But he’s certainly worth less going forward if he sits out this season.

2. The Browns are stupid as fuck with the contract they gave Watson. Watson is not Tom Brady….which is kind of what you said. But after sitting a year, he’s likely not as crisp as he was before sitting…lots of GM’s would balk at a guy that sits for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCalSooner View Post

I was hoping for Seattle too. But Seattle is destined for last place in their very strong division. Carolina has an outside chance of 2nd place in their division.
                                                                Exactly. NFC west is BRUTAL

That south division is much more manageable.

Comment

my thoughts - Carolina is a try out team....this is an opportunity to end up somewhere else next year or even midseason

seattle is more of a long term situation and i just dont know/think that it suits him all that well

Comment

Good for him and hopefully he does good and gets a new contract at some point

Comment

great trade for carolina.....$5 million plus a future 4th/5th round pick for a decent upgrade at QB. that's crazy

haha...FU cleveland

Comment

He bet on himself, which is a pretty good approach, IMO. It shows that he has confidence in his ability to come in an compete for the job.

Comment

Apparently the money he forfeited isn’t actually forfeited..it’s converted to performance bonuses based on overall team accomplishments. They win a lot of games, he earns that money back….hold on…..who am I kidding, he’s in Carolina, that money is gone.

Comment

I hope Cleveland goes 0-17 again. That would be as epic as I can imagine.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post

1. BM is not Deshaun Watson. Watson is better than Mayfield. But he’s certainly worth less going forward if he sits out this season.

2. The Browns are stupid as fuck with the contract they gave Watson. Watson is not Tom Brady….which is kind of what you said. But after sitting a year, he’s likely not as crisp as he was before sitting…lots of GM’s would balk at a guy that sits for a year.
                                                                              My point wasn’t to evaluate Baker’s option of sitting out a year but to highlight the wonky thought processes of the Browns organization.

Comment

#40
                                                                                I hope Cleveland goes 0-17 again. That would be as epic as I can imagine.
                                                                                And they will be giving the Houston Texans their draft pick if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Apparently the money he forfeited isn’t actually forfeited..it’s converted to performance bonuses based on overall team accomplishments. They win a lot of games, he earns that money back….hold on…..who am I kidding, he’s in Carolina, that money is gone.
                                                                                  Haha. I was thinking he probably has bonus opportunities to earn back his $ if he delivers. But you are right, Carolina isn’t a great place to be playing for bonus opportunities.

Comment

#42

My point wasn’t to evaluate Baker’s option of sitting out a year but to highlight the wonky thought processes of the Browns organization.
                                                                                    My point was to be an asshole.

I’m in that kind of mood since about mid-morning….

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by NYSoonerFan View Post

Haha. I was thinking he probably has bonus opportunities to earn back his $ if he delivers. But you are right, Carolina isn’t a great place to be playing for bonus opportunities.
                                                                                      Depends on the bonuses. If they are specific to his performance instead of the teams he might be able to earn s of it.

Comment

#44

It worked.

Comment

#45

Let's see how Watson perfoms with 4 different coaching staffs in 4 years like Baker had to deal with. Watson may have more physical talent but the old saying applies.... Million dollar talent, 5 cent brain.
                                                                                          Last edited by MuleshoeSooner; 07-06-2022, 02:23 PM.

Comment

#46

Carolina themed progressive commercials will probably have to be a bit more creative.
                                                                                            How about he's submitting a claim because his old house burnt down?

Comment

#47
                                                                                              I hope it works out for Baker. Their receivers are below average and their o line is average. This was one of the last places I hoped he’d end up. I don’t think much of their offensive coordinator either.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Baker needs to play well for one season in Carolina, then sign with Tampa bay after next season.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  I don't see this ending well for him. Hope it does, but if he ends the season on the bench he might as well hang it up.

Comment

#50

User name checks out.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1