First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cale Gundy resigning

Per his Twitter. Sounds like it’s a nothing controversy. This is killer after a really quiet summer from a program standpoint. He’s one of our best position coaches and recruiters. Hate to see his career end like this.

Sounds like he dropped an N-bomb reading aloud something

https://twitter.com/OU_CoachGundy/st...83462919512065

Comment

Huge disruption right at the start of camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Balko View Post
        Huge disruption right at the start of camp.
        On so many fronts. First off, this will be viewed nationally as a racism scandal even though it’s not. Secondly, it could impact the 2023 class. Most importantly, though, we don’t have a fucking WRs coach now.

Meanwhile, the player who actually wrote the n word on his tablet instead of paying attention will just go about his life with no repercussions.

Comment

extreme political correctness claims another victim. what a f'ing joke

Comment

So he read aloud a word on a screen with no intent of harm or malice and resigns? If I’m BV I don’t accept his resignation and I bring the team together and say, ‘give me a fucking break, and If you are offended by this to the point of no return leave the team.’

academia and cancel culture is eating itself alive and if you think it can’t happen to you think again. Never apologize, NEVER!

Comment

How are people so stupid to even think about reading, saying, thinking that word in this day and time?

Comment

Originally posted by cloudy View Post
                Sounds like he dropped an N-bomb reading aloud something

https://twitter.com/OU_CoachGundy/st...83462919512065
                After reading about the circumstances of that unfortunate mistake Coach Gundy should be forgiven by the team and asked to return by the players.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post

On so many fronts. First off, this will be viewed nationally as a racism scandal even though it’s not. Secondly, it could impact the 2023 class. Most importantly, though, we don’t have a fucking WRs coach now.

Meanwhile, the player who actually wrote the n word on his tablet instead of paying attention will just go about his life with no repercussions.
                  Gundy quitting makes this problem worse, he’s literally apologizing for NOTHING, it was a mistake. Honestly, if he’s this weak and indeed he made the choice to leave on his own good riddance, dude is damaged goods.

at this point, I think every white coach should just resign, don’t think that’s not in the works on some level..

Comment

BV just announced that we’re promoting an analyst named L’Damian Washington to WR coach. Never heard of him. It’s now his job to get the WRs ready for the season while also preserving the recruiting class. Good luck to him. He’ll need it.

Comment

However this works out after BV and Joe C weigh in, Cale has put the team and the season as more important than himself. Pro-actively de-fused a land mine.

Comment

I’m willing to bet money that it wasn’t Mims, Wease, Stoops, or Anderson who wrote the word on his tablet. Has to be one of the other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post
                          How are people so stupid to even think about reading, saying, thinking that word in this day and time?
                          Was at the lake,I heard about 40 people say ‘the n word’ in a rap song. Every one of them was white, no one gave a shit because it’s a word with no malice behind it in that circumstance. Honestly, every one on this board should he outraged. Dude bleed crimson and cream and he ends up quitting over cancel culture.

FUCK THAT, I’m so sick of this woke shit. Get some balls Gundy!!!

Comment

If the team and particularly the player have any scruples about them.. they stand behind Gundy and protest for him to be placed back on staff.

he steps down to diffuse the situation.
                            they step up to place him
                            back!

If this 100% went down the way he wrote.. those players should have no issue having his back.

Comment

This is shocking and sad.

Who are the analysts on the staff that could coach receivers?

Comment

What a horrible end to his career at OU. And everyone loses.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerNole View Post

Was at the lake,I heard about 40 people say ‘the n word’ in a rap song. Every one of them was white, no one gave a shit because it’s a word with no malice behind it in that circumstance. Honestly, every one on this board should he outraged. Dude bleed crimson and cream and he ends up quitting over cancel culture.

FUCK THAT, I’m so sick of this woke shit. Get some balls Gundy!!!
                                  It sounds like he resigned to keep the leadup to the season from becoming a non-stop witch hunt. Stories will still be written, you can bet on it, but it would have been far worse if he was still employed. Imagine the stories the sports media would write then.

This whole thing is stupid, but if it went down the way it seems to have, he's putting the program above himself. How could anyone not respect that (if it's true)?

Comment

So if an English teacher reads aloud Huck Fynn will she resign too???

again, this is fuckin lunacy and a good man, a good family man, a man that is a staple for OU football is leaving. I can’t believe he stepped down over such a trivial action.

Comment

We deserve to know who the player was.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

It sounds like he resigned to keep the leadup to the season from becoming a non-stop witch hunt. Stories will still be written, you can bet on it, but it would have been far worse if he was still employed. Imagine the stories the sports media would write then.

This whole thing is stupid, but if it went down the way it seems to have, he's putting the program above himself. How could anyone not respect that (if it's true)?
                                        I don’t respect bowing down to cancel culture. He did NOTHING wrong-NOTHING. Him apologizing makes it worse, his actions reflect a man who’s done something wrong and the media will destroy him regardless. He made it worse by apologizing to the mob-

Comment

uhhh, well fuck me, this sucks

Comment

Why can’t we have nice things? If the story I’ve read is the full story, and if players demanded this, we can say goodbye to the groundswell of support for this team and donations to the program. Rightly so. Jeff Lebby is employable and Cale isn’t? Bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

And, even if he stayed, he would have to go out and recruit with this over his head.

Comment

I hate that he had to resign, but the SAE incident was only 7 years ago. This will still be used negatively against OU in terms of recruiting, and unfortunately if he stayed it would have made it worse.

Comment

One of the best recruiters ou has had? I’m sure this is fine…

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                                    Why can’t we have nice things? If the story I’ve read is the full story, and if players demanded this, we can say goodbye to the groundswell of support for this team and donations to the program. Rightly so. Jeff Lebby is employable and Cale isn’t? Bullshit.
                                                    Gabe Ikard just tweeted that the vast majority of the team wanted him to stay. That means a vocal minority didn’t. University was in a no win situation. Coach V probably didn’t know how to proceed as a first year head coach. Cale decided to spare everyone the trouble and fell on his sword to protect the program as best he could.

The real villain in this story isn’t PC culture or cancel culture or any of that shit. It’s the player who wouldn’t pay attention cause he was busy writing the n word on his iPad.

Comment

This was Brent's first big test. It has to be a tough one for him. Was this a Scarlett letter offense? It was a no win situation, but I don't know if Cale leaving is the right move. Where is the message of grace? How can Brent ever discipline a player short of kicking him off the team? Would Brent have to get rid of a Joe Mixon or will players have a different standard?

I get it that coaches are in a different situation, but this is a high bar for anyone associated with the team. Wouldn't this have been a good chance to talk about forgiveness and grace and overcoming a mistake?

Comment

Originally posted by johnintx View Post

And, even if he stayed, he would have to go out and recruit with this over his head.
                                                        therein lies the problem, a public Universities employee using/saying racial slurs no matter the context is never going to end well for the person who uses them.

Comment

Originally posted by 1soonerinoregon View Post
                                                          This was Brent's first big test. It has to be a tough one for him. Was this a Scarlett letter offense? It was a no win situation, but I don't know if Cale leaving is the right move. Where is the message of grace? How can Brent ever discipline a player short of kicking him off the team? Would Brent have to get rid of a Joe Mixon or will players have a different standard?

I get it that coaches are in a different situation, but this is a high bar for anyone associated with the team. Wouldn't this have been a good chance to talk about forgiveness and grace and overcoming a mistake?
                                                          I don’t think Cale gave BV much of a choice in the matter. I think he decided to eat shit for the school and the staff so that we could have as functional of a camp as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post
                                                            One of the best recruiters ou has had? I’m sure this is fine…
                                                            He'll be fine. Lincoln will probably hire him.

Comment

Originally posted by ouboomer1 View Post

therein lies the problem, a public Universities employee using/saying racial slurs no matter the context is never going to end well for the person who uses them.
                                                              Him apologizing and quitting makes the ending even worse. Him quitting is an admission of guilt; right or wrong…

Comment

"There's not one guy, one person, in the history of this program that's bigger than the program......" - Bob Stoops

Comment

Wtf???

Comment

Originally posted by johnintx View Post
                                                                    "There's not one guy, one person, in the history of this program that's bigger than the program......" - Bob Stoops
                                                                    If cancel culture was ‘a guy’ metaphorically speaking, it’s becoming bigger than the program…

Comment

My reaction, if this story happened somewhere else, would be to think that we're not hearing the whole truth. But... if this isn't exactly what happened, we're going to hear about it anyway, and the whole situation will actually be worse. Like... if Cale dropped an N-Bomb but not in the way he described, it's going to (rightly) piss some guys off and they'll get the truth out.

It probably happened as stated and a few guys on the team (maybe more than a few) wanted him gone afterwards.

Comment

So the working story is that he got Ron Burgandy’d with the teleprompter?

Comment

he read somebody elses word(s)

what we don't know is the tone he used...the emphasis, etc etc......there's context we're not getting in this story and i think that is likely the catalyst

Comment

Gundy and BV need to sit down and cooler heads must prevail. If I read that correctly, straight from Gundy, then he must know stepping down after decades of doing what's best for the program would be doing a disservice to himself and the program.

Big Lebowski : I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man.

Comment

#39
                                                                              I hope we see more of this from current and former players

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	7556
Size:	821.8 KB
ID:	1041203

Comment

#40
                                                                                "End of quote. Repeat the line."

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by 1soonerinoregon View Post

Speaking of Mixon, it was Cale who picked him up after the incident and encouraged him. Cale is no racist. Who wrote the shit on their iPad? That's who needs to be dealt with.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    My biggest question is who is/was pressuring Cale to resign? If the players know his character and it's not been an issue in his, what, 25+ year career at Oklahoma, then who is pressuring him to resign?

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by SoonerNole View Post

If cancel culture was ‘a guy’ metaphorically speaking, it’s becoming bigger than the program…
                                                                                      Yep. And if this is due to this, I'm glad I stopped donating.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Welp

Comment

#45
                                                                                          I don't think it is an offense to lose a job over. That being said, it is very poor judgment on Cale's part and a coach today has to be way more disciplined than what Cale showed here. First, a coach can't lose his cool. Second, a coach can't just react to read something out loud without knowing what they are reading.

A high profile person has to be controlled and disciplined. I know this sounds harsh, but it is the way it is today. Cale made a mistake and it cost the team.

He is a great Sooner and I hate this result and I don't necessarily agree that the result is correct. But, I will say it again, he did not exhibit the discipline of a seasoned coach with his years of experience.

Comment

#46

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
                                                                                              My biggest question is who is/was pressuring Cale to resign? If the players know his character and it's not been an issue in his, what, 25+ year career at Oklahoma, then who is pressuring him to resign?
                                                                                              It seems likely that the OU Diversity Enrichment Program would have a say.
                                                                                              They have five full time staff members and 45+ interns dedicated to issue's like this. It's what universities have become.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                This just doesn't add up in any way. You can't spend your entire professional career harboring and protecting the program only to walk away over other peoples words.

If it went down like CG said then BV needs to use it to bring the team together and educate them.

No way Cale walks away over this "distraction".

It's overreacting

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  I have a new level of respect for Joe Mixon. That letter was outstanding.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    I don’t know all the facts, but nothing Cale Gundy has ever done points to him being a racist. I choose to believe him unless proven otherwise. His time at Oklahoma shouldn’t have ended this way.

We have an interim wide receiver, but that isn’t the long term solution.

Will Malcolm Kelley be Venables next big hire?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1