First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camel at sea View Post
    Re: OU recruiting... a couple additional losses per season has us looking like Florida or A&M. Those two recruit about where we do now... so there'd be no change. Apparently a 3-4 loss SEC regular season is not a tough sales pitch to recruits. If we compete for SEC titles, then we probably close the gap on Georgia and Alabama.

Either way, the only way the move hurts Oklahoma recruiting is if we lose several more games than we do now.
    I just don't see Oklahoma's recruiting being hurt by joining the SEC. You are already very successful in recruiting, and now talented athletes in the SEC footprint are going to have greater opportunities to see you play in person. Also, parents and family of recruits in states further from Oklahoma will have more opportunities to see their son play without traveling from Orlando to Norman, Atlanta Metro to Norman, and all the small towns in the South that love football. I retired West from the ATL and seeing OU stickers on cars and people wearing OU gear was not uncommon. I had quite a few colleagues from Oklahoma. The only way I see your recruiting would be hurt would be if you hired a bad coach, then compounded that by hiring another. That would hurt any school's recruiting regardless of conference. OU will be fine. I'm envious.

Comment

Originally posted by hiphopfroggy View Post

Seems like a delicate dance.

Are you saying that the SEC only wants Clemson and Florida St if the B1G offers them?

Do you think the B1G would offer Clemson and Florida St?

Do you think ESPN would be motivated to keep the ACC viable or to let the ACC die off to help the SEC?
      1. I believe the SEC would take FSU outright especially if paired with North Carolina or Notre Dame, or even a Virginia Tech. As to Clemson it would likely only be a defensive move.

2. No. If anything happens with the ACC UVa, UNC, Ga Tech, and possibly Miami would or could meet their criteria. Of course Notre Dame would meet their needs and qualifications. Pitt meets the criteria but doesn't add value. I don't see Clemson or FSU gaining their offer.

3. This is the wrong question. The question should be would ESPN let the ACC get picked apart if it profited ESPN or gained them leverage? And that answer is absolutely.

Clemson and FSU earn ESPN more money in terms of viewership in the SEC. Dividing North Carolina and Virginia's 20 million population between 2 vastly more watched products (SEC/B1G) utilizes and double dips that 20 million much more effectively and profitably than the ACC. So both are more profitable divided up instead of remaining 6/15ths of an undervalued conference.

Then there's the question of how, for roughly the same cost (meaning with a modest bump), do you get more value out of B.C., Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville? Place them in the New B12 and you get the benefit of WVU vs 3 New England schools (much more regional interest) and Louisville's reunion with Cincy.

So if you can see UVa, Notre Dame, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Miami to the B1G with Kansas taking the 6th slot, and see Clemson, FSU, Va Tech, and UNC (only because ESPN wants 100% of them) to the SEC, then you can see N.C. State taking Kansas's place in the New B12 and you would be looking at this:

Cincinnati, Iowa State, Louisville, N.C. State
      Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia
      Brigham Young, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech
      Baylor, Central Florida, Houston, Texas Christian

Remember ESPN has half interest in the B1G's T1 and T2. So their costs their are minimal since they split the cost with FOX. FOX wants games in the SE to broadcast. The B1G needs exposure in the SE for recruiting which helps them more than simply having more money. This is likely the only way they get that mostly on their academic terms. And ESPN has 5 ND games every 2 years which they can broadcast with ND as a partial in the ACC. In the Big 10 they have half of their T1 and T2 rights and much more access to them. If ND balks at the Big 10 ESPN could have all of them in the SEC (not likely) or give them a partial in the New Big 12 which now includes Pitt, Syracuse and BC which helped to attract them to the ACC.

So ESPN makes more money from UVa, Duke, Georgia Tech and Miami in the B1G 10 and for roughly what their full ACC contract cost them. The get more access to N.D. in the B1G and if Kansas is part of that move ESPN maxes out hoops value against a Big 10 schedule.

Clemson and FSU make ESPN much more money in the SEC as does Va Tech. And UNC adds markets and a must see foe for UK in hoops and an easy path for UNC to make the tourney.

And they maximize the value of the New B12 in football and have enough market depth to convert the ACCN into a B12N.

Comment

Originally posted by ZiaTiger View Post

I just don't see Oklahoma's recruiting being hurt by joining the SEC. You are already very successful in recruiting, and now talented athletes in the SEC footprint are going to have greater opportunities to see you play in person. Also, parents and family of recruits in states further from Oklahoma will have more opportunities to see their son play without traveling from Orlando to Norman, Atlanta Metro to Norman, and all the small towns in the South that love football. I retired West from the ATL and seeing OU stickers on cars and people wearing OU gear was not uncommon. I had quite a few colleagues from Oklahoma. The only way I see your recruiting would be hurt would be if you hired a bad coach, then compounded that by hiring another. That would hurt any school's recruiting regardless of conference. OU will be fine. I'm envious.
        Yeah. Personally I'm hoping to see the Falcons reboot at the QB position and draft Rattler. Rattler and Trae Young in the Atlanta market would be a nice sales pitch for Oklahoma in the southeast.

Comment

Yeah. Personally I'm hoping to see the Falcons reboot at the QB position and draft Rattler. Rattler and Trae Young in the Atlanta market would be a nice sales pitch for Oklahoma in the southeast.
          The Falcons have stomped on my heart so many times, yet I'm always hopeful. I still haven't gotten over the Grits Blitz years, when Dallas came back in the fourth quarter to beat us in the playoffs. The new stadium is just great. Cheers!

Comment

Hmmm... Time for a map of Tulsa & (checks notes on twitteratti) North Texas to MWC..?

-

Last edited by kopp0e; 09-16-2021, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

1. I believe the SEC would take FSU outright especially if paired with North Carolina or Notre Dame, or even a Virginia Tech. As to Clemson it would likely only be a defensive move.

2. No. If anything happens with the ACC UVa, UNC, Ga Tech, and possibly Miami would or could meet their criteria. Of course Notre Dame would meet their needs and qualifications. Pitt meets the criteria but doesn't add value. I don't see Clemson or FSU gaining their offer.

3. This is the wrong question. The question should be would ESPN let the ACC get picked apart if it profited ESPN or gained them leverage? And that answer is absolutely.

Clemson and FSU earn ESPN more money in terms of viewership in the SEC. Dividing North Carolina and Virginia's 20 million population between 2 vastly more watched products (SEC/B1G) utilizes and double dips that 20 million much more effectively and profitably than the ACC. So both are more profitable divided up instead of remaining 6/15ths of an undervalued conference.

Then there's the question of how, for roughly the same cost (meaning with a modest bump), do you get more value out of B.C., Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville? Place them in the New B12 and you get the benefit of WVU vs 3 New England schools (much more regional interest) and Louisville's reunion with Cincy.

So if you can see UVa, Notre Dame, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Miami to the B1G with Kansas taking the 6th slot, and see Clemson, FSU, Va Tech, and UNC (only because ESPN wants 100% of them) to the SEC, then you can see N.C. State taking Kansas's place in the New B12 and you would be looking at this:

Cincinnati, Iowa State, Louisville, N.C. State
              Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia
              Brigham Young, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech
              Baylor, Central Florida, Houston, Texas Christian

Remember ESPN has half interest in the B1G's T1 and T2. So their costs their are minimal since they split the cost with FOX. FOX wants games in the SE to broadcast. The B1G needs exposure in the SE for recruiting which helps them more than simply having more money. This is likely the only way they get that mostly on their academic terms. And ESPN has 5 ND games every 2 years which they can broadcast with ND as a partial in the ACC. In the Big 10 they have half of their T1 and T2 rights and much more access to them. If ND balks at the Big 10 ESPN could have all of them in the SEC (not likely) or give them a partial in the New Big 12 which now includes Pitt, Syracuse and BC which helped to attract them to the ACC.

So ESPN makes more money from UVa, Duke, Georgia Tech and Miami in the B1G 10 and for roughly what their full ACC contract cost them. The get more access to N.D. in the B1G and if Kansas is part of that move ESPN maxes out hoops value against a Big 10 schedule.

Clemson and FSU make ESPN much more money in the SEC as does Va Tech. And UNC adds markets and a must see foe for UK in hoops and an easy path for UNC to make the tourney.

And they maximize the value of the New B12 in football and have enough market depth to convert the ACCN into a B12N.
              I think ESPN will have more motivation to keep the ACC viable than the Big12. It seems more likely to me that the ACC survive than the Big12. Attempting to rebrand the ACCN into the Big12 network would be very inefficient. An ACC w/ Florida St, Clemson, Miami and ND still has 4 national brands that can compete for titles under the right circumstances. The new big 12 wouldn't.

I understand that you want to lockdown Florida though, I'm just not convinced that is going to be ESPN's approach. ESPN will still lockdown Florida between the ACC and SEC.

And of course ESPN already released a statement contrary to what you are saying regarding them making more $$$ off Clemson and Florida St in the SEC. They already stated indirectly but clear enough that is not the case.

Comment

I can see Stanford and/or Cal deciding to go to an Ivy model. I'm not sure who else would do it, though. SC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington aren't going to drop athletics. Neither are the Arizona schools or Utah.
                Camel, I think you would find that UCLA would follow Cal in deciding to go with the Ivy model. USC, Washington, Oregon and Colorado would be prime targets for the B1G

Comment

XOVERX & WTinOK may be on to something with the idea of Texas dominating the NIL game, where SEC has 5 states on this list with fewest "rich folk":

Comment

I think ESPN will have more motivation to keep the ACC viable than the Big12. It seems more likely to me that the ACC survive than the Big12. Attempting to rebrand the ACCN into the Big12 network would be very inefficient. An ACC w/ Florida St, Clemson, Miami and ND still has 4 national brands that can compete for titles under the right circumstances. The new big 12 wouldn't.

I understand that you want to lockdown Florida though, I'm just not convinced that is going to be ESPN's approach. ESPN will still lockdown Florida between the ACC and SEC.

And of course ESPN already released a statement contrary to what you are saying regarding them making more $$$ off Clemson and Florida St in the SEC. They already stated indirectly but clear enough that is not the case.
                    I would like to see the proof on that last statement. I keep up with it fairly closely. I've seen bloggers say something similar, but not the mouse. More money would be made in each of the scenarios I laid out. Time will tell, but I simply don't believe ACC schools will sit back for 15 years at 40 million dollar deficit to the SEC and B1G and do nothing. And what's more ESPN has recognized the gap in revenue for over a decade and have done nothing. As realignment to date has shown, deficits are useful tools to produce movement and this one is a whopper!

Comment

I would like to see the proof on that last statement. I keep up with it fairly closely. I've seen bloggers say something similar, but not the mouse. More money would be made in each of the scenarios I laid out. Time will tell, but I simply don't believe ACC schools will sit back for 15 years at 40 million dollar deficit to the SEC and B1G and do nothing. And what's more ESPN has recognized the gap in revenue for over a decade and have done nothing. As realignment to date has shown, deficits are useful tools to produce movement and this one is a whopper!
                      I noticed you avoided my simple yes or no question.

Are you sticking by your prediction of a 20+ team SEC breakaway league?

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post
                        Hmmm... Time for a map of Tulsa & (checks notes on twitteratti) North Texas to MWC..?

-

That makes no sense whatsoever.

AAC teams are not going to join the MW right now.

And UNT makes no sense whatsoever. Much better programs like UTSA, Rice, or UTEP that are available. Gonzaga is also on that list.

I am actually wondering if the NBE gets involved and grabs Gonzaga, Wichita St, STL, type programs. They can likely pay BB members more than the MW or AAC. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by XLance View Post

We're going to the B1G?
                          The last I heard, Penn State was joining the ACC.
                          Last I heard was that OU and Texas were happy in the Big 12 and there was no way they leave. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by ZiaTiger View Post

It's a simple situation of there not being a whole lot of room to improve from where OU is currently recruiting. So as things are now it's not going to change much. Where it will swing is on NIL deals. Gary Patterson said he had a freshman who had 5 SEC programs offering him $ via NIL to come play. Whoever has the best NIL deals will have the best recruits, even if it's places like Houston who have a billionare donor who will buy players. The other big challenge will be coaching, one bad hire sets a program back as we have seen.

You are right on the coaching hire. Statistically OU is due for a bad one as it's been 20 years since Blake. But Riley has things going in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by WTinOK View Post

I noticed you avoided my simple yes or no question.

Are you sticking by your prediction of a 20+ team SEC breakaway league?
                              I have never avoided your question and have answered it every time as I did the first time. Yes, under the precondition that the alliance tries to hem in the SEC with some kind of voting block in the NCAA. And I said it could be as few as 20 or as many as 24. You leave that out as well.

Comment

I have never avoided your question and have answered it every time as I did the first time. Yes, under the precondition that the alliance tries to hem in the SEC with some kind of voting block in the NCAA. And I said it could be as few as 20 or as many as 24. You leave that out as well.
                                OK, just making sure.

That's why I said 20+, to include 20, 24, and I think you even said 32 at one point. So I did not leave that out. But nice try. I was giving you 20+ and you still tried to claim I left out 24. That's funny.

I am predicting the PAC adds teams. I think the fact that the L8 did not sign a GOR indicates that they have members who think they have options. I don't think the PAC will sit at 12 if everyone else is going to 14-16+.

Comment

Originally posted by NJTerp View Post

Last I heard was that OU and Texas were happy in the Big 12 and there was no way they leave. Go figure.
                                  Everybody is wonderfully happy until the split second they see a much better deal. The ACC will be 40 million in media revenue alone behind the SEC in 3 years. Could be as much behind the Big 10 in 2 years. I don't believe for a second that if OU and UT wangle a way out in one or two years that everyone in the ACC stays loyal for 13 more years and that kind of deficit. In fact I'd say bank on movement.

Comment

OK, just making sure.

That's why I said 20+, to include 20, 24, and I think you even said 32 at one point. So I did not leave that out. But nice try. I was giving you 20+ and you still tried to claim I left out 24. That's funny.

I am predicting the PAC adds teams. I think the fact that the L8 did not sign a GOR indicates that they have members who think they have options. I don't think the PAC will sit at 12 if everyone else is going to 14-16+.
                                    What I said about 32 was that it wasn't likely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

As to the 8's GOR they have to be unanimous to sign it. I doubt Kansas will sign one until final moves are over. I don't see them being left out in the end. So I wouldn't read too much into the GOR issue just yet. The irony is if the PAC is interested they will wait to see what happens until the B12 says they'll sign a new one and then they'll make their play.

Nobody will really be watching the B12 until the Big 10's new deal is announced and we can see if they attempt to add ACC schools. Why? Because if they do it won't likely be just 2 and the SEC will likely add multiples as well.

If that happens the PAC might well reconsider the number of their additions. Instead of 4 maybe the look at 6. If that happens (say TTU, TCU, ISU, KU, OSU, KSU) then maybe you see a new Eastern promotion conference with the ACC remnants, Baylor & WVU plus the best of the AAC. We'll see.

Comment

OK, just making sure.

The PAC is going to expand so they can push USC and Oregon out of the league?

Comment

Originally posted by Win5002 View Post

The PAC is going to expand so they can push USC and Oregon out of the league?
                                        If you say so.

I think they are going to expand for several reasons.
                                        1. To get in to the CTZ
                                        2. Add rabid fans to the conference, which they lack.
                                        3. Keep up as all the other power conferences are at 14-16.
                                        4. And last but not least they have to cripple the L8/AAC as that conference is competition

Neither USC or Oregon is that valuable on TV, and they have nowhere to go unless you believe the SEC 24+ team league breakaway.

Fans think like that because they go off perception, not actual TV ratings. I am the opposite, I just go by the data. .

Comment

It was reported by ESPN that Clemson and Florida State have reached out to the Southeastern Conference about joining their membership.

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2021/...texas-oklahoma

Comment

It was reported by ESPN that Clemson and Florida State have reached out to the Southeastern Conference about joining their membership.

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2021/...texas-oklahoma

It doesn't say they don't add value, just that they don't add as much as Texas and Oklahoma. That statement also was denied by Clemson and FSU. And, the SEC office poo poos everything until it is official. ESPN's Finebaum was saying to callers just a couple of weeks prior to the UT announcement that Texas would never join the SEC.

When ESPN is ready to move on further additions the narrative will change accordingly. So prior to an announcement everything will be downplayed or denied.

I also find it interesting that the SEC allegedly referred to streaming numbers when the money for FSU is in advertising leverage. Florida and South Carolina pushed for FSU and Clemson in 2011-2, and raised those concerns again recently.

I wouldn't put much stock in this for two reasons:

1. It was in the immediate wake of the OU and UT announcement and people were hysterical and accusing ESPN of building a Super Conference and ESPN was likely not ready to deal with ACC issues.

2. The SEC won't crack the ACC and has made that clear. The ACC is a good buffer for us against B1G expansion. That said we have a 20 school plan for defensive expansion that has existed since 1992 and Jackie Sherrill has referenced it before. So the B1G will have to raid the ACC again and when they do the SEC will move as well. ESPN is good with this because they want to avoid being involved with an in house raid, at least perceptually. If the B1G moves the SEC will "rescue" the ACC schools it takes.

Comment

That makes no sense whatsoever.

AAC teams are not going to join the MW right now.

And UNT makes no sense whatsoever. Much better programs like UTSA, Rice, or UTEP that are available. Gonzaga is also on that list.

I am actually wondering if the NBE gets involved and grabs Gonzaga, Wichita St, STL, type programs. They can likely pay BB members more than the MW or AAC. Thoughts?
                                              Well, going by your criteria, I'd personally look at adding the teams listed below to grow both AAC & MWC, (regardless of current rumors)...

AAC -
                                              (east) -
                                              University of Massachusetts
                                              East Carolina University
                                              University of South Florida
                                              Temple University
                                              Florida Atlantic University
                                              Marshall University
                                              University of Akron
                                              University at Buffalo

(west) -
                                              Southern Methodist University
                                              Tulane University
                                              University of Tulsa
                                              Louisiana Tech University
                                              Rice University
                                              University of Alabama at Birmingham
                                              University of North Texas
                                              Middle Tennessee State University

MWC -
                                              (east) -
                                              United States Air Force Academy
                                              University of New Mexico
                                              University of Texas at El Paso
                                              Texas State University
                                              Arkansas State University
                                              University of Louisiana at Monroe
                                              University of Texas at Arlington
                                              University of Louisiana at Lafayette

(west) -
                                              Colorado State University
                                              California State University, Fresno
                                              University of Nevada, Reno
                                              University of Nevada, Las Vegas
                                              San Diego State University
                                              San Jose State University
                                              Utah State University
                                              University of Wyoming

​​​​​​​This would be with the caveat of expecting XII to take both Memphis & Boise State in another expansion to 14 [not counting PAC rumors)...

Comment

I'm skeptical that the Big Ten wants anyone from the ACC other than Notre Dame if they can't get North Carolina. I very much doubt they'd take Duke and GT without UNC, for instance. Now obviously if (and IMHO that's a big IF) the Big Ten post-Delaney is still as enamored with Notre Dame as he was if they are told "we'll join if we can bring x" then they will give that x some very strong consideration, but I find it hard to believe that Duke or GT would be on a Notre Dame tag along list.

Comment

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/

American targeting Mountain West powers among handful of expansion candidates in realignment

The American Athletic Conference is settling on a handful of expansion candidates that will likely kick off the next round of realignment at the Group of Five level, multiple sources told CBS Sports. The timing of that next round could be impacted if Texas and Oklahoma attempt to make an early entry into the SEC.

In reaction to the Big 12's recent raid of Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, the AAC has focused on recruiting a group of schools that includes Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State and UAB, sources tell CBS Sports. UAB, a member of Conference USA, is the only non-Mountain West team on that short list.

That suggests AAC commissioner Mike Aresco could be looking mostly West in search of equal television value for the three prize pieces he lost to the Big 12.

Boise State and UAB have been discussed most prominently among the five expansion candidates. Inclusion of any or all of the four aforementioned Mountain West candidates could destabilize that league to the point the that the AAC would remain the clear top conference in the Group of Five

It is believed the AAC will expand by at least four teams to get to 12 members. It only had 11 prior to the departures of Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, which will occur in 2023.

UAB lies in a college football hot bed (Birmingham, Alabama) with a new field (Protective Stadium, Oct. 2 vs. Liberty). The AAC is selling Boise State based on the potential to be the league's most powerful program, one that could chase a playoff spot each year based on the structure of the proposed 12-team playoff.

The AAC has earned five of the seven automatic New Year's Six bowl berths in the College Football Playoff's seven-year history

What's emerging is a tug-of-war for the best brand names available at the Group of Five level. Presented with the possibility that an expanded AAC could monopolize a Group of Five playoff berth in ongoing realignment, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson stood firm.

"I would just say that same argument could be made if [those teams] remain in the Mountain West Conference," he said.

There could be a tug of war over Boise State, which is desirable beyond the Group of Five. CBS Sports reported Friday that Boise State and Memphis would be top targets for the Big 12 if the league expands to 14. Multiple Big 12 sources have said privately and publicly the league may not be done expanding.

Anybody with aspirations for the Big 12 [might say], 'Why would I go anywhere except wait for a couple of years and wait for the Big 12 to expand again?'" said a Group of Five source involved in the realignment process.

Big 12 executives are also watching closely as the Pac-12 negotiates a new TV deal in 2024 when its current agreement with Fox and ESPN expires. If the Pac-12 media rights revenue approximates that of the Big 12 at that time, there is a feeling within the Big 12 some Pac-12 schools might be interested in joining.

For now, if the AAC can't get its top choices listed above, there is an additional group of 10-12 teams that would be considered, sources said. Among those teams under consideration are FAUand UTSA of Conference USA. Both are seen by some AAC officials as having the potential to becoming the new UCF -- emerging programs in a large, football-mad markets that could make a national splash under the right conditions.

While that list of core candidates may shrink or grow depending on the day, realignment below the Power Five level remains in the wait-and-see stage because of the Texas and Oklahoma situation. Little is expected to happen until there is more certainty about Texas and Oklahoma migration to the SEC.

While Big 12 sources say publicly they are holding the programs to the term of their current media rights contract (four more years with Fox and ESPN), there is su****ion that the two will find a way to extricate themselves before the 2025 season. That could affect everything from conference composition to how leagues can be priced in the media market.

The Big 12 has announced BYU will enter the league in 2023, while Cincinnati, Houston and UCF will enter no later than July 1, 2024.

As such, the AAC is expected to move first on any additional expansion because it lost three valuable pieces and is down to only eight members. If it loses two more members, the AAC's automatic qualification status for the NCAA Tournament could be impacted. Sources also tell CBS Sports that ESPN could rework its media rights deal with the AAC at a lower price due to a membership composition clause in their contract.

Sources say the clause could be activated if the AAC lost UConn, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF. UConn left the AAC entirely in 2020, becoming an independent in football while joining the Big East for basketball and other sports.

AAC commissioner Mike Aresco is not worried about a reworking of the deal, persons close to those discussions tell CBS Sports. Aresco has been telling constituents that he hopes to keep the value of the conference's media rights payout equal to what it was before Cincinnati, Houston and UCF left for the Big 12. AAC schools are paid approximately $7 million annually as part of a deal signed in 2019 with ESPN.

My advice [is], until you know what you're joining, are you really sure you want to make a move?" said Karl Benson, who once oversaw the largest FBS league in existence as commissioner of the 16-team WAC in the late 1990s. "Until you know what's left of the American, what are you getting into?"
                                                  AAC candidates
                                                  • Air Force: Service academy partner with Navy, already an AAC member.
                                                  • Boise State: Established football excellence. Possible travel partner for other Western candidates. Might have to decide between the AAC now or Big 12 down the line.
                                                  • Colorado State: One of the best new stadiums in the country. The football program is struggling, and CSU doesn't exactly deliver the Denver market.
                                                  • San Diego State: New stadium, beautiful city, West Coast talent. But if the AAC stays (somewhat) intact, why would SDSU leave the best remaining Group of Five league? Its only other option would be a Big 12 that wants to expand beyond 14. Travel would be an issue.
                                                  • UAB: The city of Birmingham, coach Bill Clark and athletic director Mark Ingram deserve tremendous credit for making the program attractive since it was shut down in 2014.
                                                  • FAU: A Sunshine State replacement for UCF. Lane Kiffin showed the Owls' potential winning two conference titles in three years.
                                                  • UTSA: A rising program in a large market that would theoretically replace Houston in the state of Texas.
                                                  Other considerations
                                                  • Mountain West:North Texas and Tulsa are under consideration by the MWC. That could be a proactive move if the AAC takes some MWC teams. However, depending on which way realignment moves, the Mountain West could become the dominant Group of Five conference itself if it stays intact as there may be no combination of schools for the AAC that could make up for losses of Cincinnati, Houston and UCF.
                                                  • Conference USA: Former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany as a consultant. Even in retirement, Delany remains one of the most powerful persons in college athletics.
                                                  • Total realignment: Creating geography-based leagues -- combining teams from the AAC, Conference USA and Sun Belt -- has been discussed given the clear redundancies between the conferences. The AAC and C-USA each have schools in Texas and Florida. C-USA and the Sun Belt each have teams in Texas, Alabama and North Carolina. The AAC and C-USA have teams in Texas, Florida and North Carolina.

Why not cut travel costs with a geographical lineup that would look something like this?

East (10): Appalachian State, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, East Carolina, FAU, FIU, Marshall, Navy, Old Dominion, South Florida

South (10): Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Temple, Troy, UAB, Western Kentucky

Southwest (12): Arkansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, UTEP, UTSA

Comment

If I remember right, Tulane is an 'AAU school', I could see the westcoasters being fine with adding the metro areas & throw in Tech (with the UT rivalry)...

PAC:

(Pacific8 Division)-

CASCADES-
                                                    Washington
                                                    Washington State
                                                    Oregon
                                                    Oregon State

PACIFIC-
                                                    California
                                                    Stanford
                                                    UCLA
                                                    USC

(Big8 DIvision)-

ROCKIES-
                                                    Arizona
                                                    Arizona State
                                                    Utah
                                                    Colorado

GULF-
                                                    Texas Tech
                                                    TCU
                                                    Houston
                                                    Tulane

This looks like a solid setup for PAC to get in the fertile recruiting grounds of southwest & deep south, as well as adding New Orleans/ Houston/ Dallas..?

Comment

If I remember right, Tulane is an 'AAU school', I could see the westcoasters being fine with adding the metro areas & throw in Tech (with the UT rivalry)...

PAC:

(Pacific8 Division)-

CASCADES-
                                                      Washington
                                                      Washington State
                                                      Oregon
                                                      Oregon State

PACIFIC-
                                                      California
                                                      Stanford
                                                      UCLA
                                                      USC

(Big8 DIvision)-

ROCKIES-
                                                      Arizona
                                                      Arizona State
                                                      Utah
                                                      Colorado

GULF-
                                                      Texas Tech
                                                      TCU
                                                      Houston
                                                      Tulane

This looks like a solid setup for PAC to get in the fertile recruiting grounds of southwest & deep south, as well as adding New Orleans/ Houston/ Dallas..?
                                                      What the Hell is your big obsession with the PAC?

Comment

Originally posted by PlayDeep60 View Post

What the Hell is your obsession with the PAC?
                                                        I am wondering what everyone's obsession with realignment is. We know where OU is going, what these other clowns do really isn't important to us. We will have way more than enough on our plate figuring out how to win the SEC every year.

Comment

What the Hell is your big obsession with the PAC?
                                                          This is a realignment thread, I like Arizona State as well, so what is the issue..?

Comment

This is a realignment thread, I like Arizona State as well, so what is the issue..?
                                                            Your obsession with the PAC. PAC this and that has been going on for years.The PAC isn't adding any Texas schools the Texas market isn't what you make it out to be. If it was that lucrative a market why are the Texas schools sitting in the Big 12 and why hasn't the PAC added that CTZ?

Comment

Your obsession with the PAC. PAC this and that has been going on for years.The PAC isn't adding any Texas schools the Texas market isn't what you make it out to be. If it was that lucrative a market why are the Texas schools sitting in the Big 12 and why hasn't the PAC added that CTZ?
                                                              What conference does Arizona State participate in..? PAC... What conference has looked over the last 30 years to add state of Texas teams..? SEC...

---
                                                              How the SEC tried to add Texas Longhorns more than 30 years ago...

https://www.tennessean.com › sports › college › 2021/08/16
                                                              Aug 16, 2021 — “We focused on Arkansas and South Carolina, and really wanted Texas,” Schiller told me earlier this month. “So, something interesting happened: The (Texas) state legislature came back to me and said, ‘If you take Texas, you have to take Texas A&M.’ The funny part about it is that A&M was sort of lukewarm at the time about coming in.” ...
                                                              ---

Now, the fact PAC may eventually add Texas teams should be no worry to you, as you seem on the fringe of upset at the idea, as said, 'realignment'...
                                                              Thus, whatever it is that seems to have you wired towards abstaining to talk of Texas as fertile recruiting ground, or PAC aggression in adding, is off...

Comment

Originally posted by slice1900 View Post

I'm skeptical that the Big Ten wants anyone from the ACC other than Notre Dame if they can't get North Carolina. I very much doubt they'd take Duke and GT without UNC, for instance. Now obviously if (and IMHO that's a big IF) the Big Ten post-Delaney is still as enamored with Notre Dame as he was if they are told "we'll join if we can bring x" then they will give that x some very strong consideration, but I find it hard to believe that Duke or GT would be on a Notre Dame tag along list.
                                                                What's your opinion about UVa?

Comment

The appeal of OU playing in the SEC will only improve OU's ability to recruit western US states.

Oklahoma Football: How USC coaching change affects West Coast recruits (usatoday.com)

The Sooners recruit the west coast as well as any non-west coast powerhouse can.

As recently as this summer, they landed the number two QB nationally, the number four overall player, and the number one player in the state of California in Malachi Nelson. The number 5 recruit in California and top 40 nationally, Makai Lemon also committed to play for OU. 2022 commit Raleek Brown is also from California.

OU’s 2023 recruiting class features the likes of Malachi Nelson, Makai Lemon who all committed to Oklahoma over the likes of USC and are still committed and seem to be really solid in their commitments. There are bound to be more west coast names that pop up that OU will have to fight USC for in the coming months.

Comment

Great school. Beautiful surroundings. Very, very similar to Chapel Hill. One of three campuses I walked on and thought..... I could see myself here (Wake Forest was the third).
                                                                    Last edited by XLance; 09-17-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post
                                                                      The appeal of OU playing in the SEC will only improve OU's ability to recruit western US states.

Oklahoma Football: How USC coaching change affects West Coast recruits (usatoday.com)

The Sooners recruit the west coast as well as any non-west coast powerhouse can.

As recently as this summer, they landed the number two QB nationally, the number four overall player, and the number one player in the state of California in Malachi Nelson. The number 5 recruit in California and top 40 nationally, Makai Lemon also committed to play for OU. 2022 commit Raleek Brown is also from California.

OU’s 2023 recruiting class features the likes of Malachi Nelson, Makai Lemon who all committed to Oklahoma over the likes of USC and are still committed and seem to be really solid in their commitments. There are bound to be more west coast names that pop up that OU will have to fight USC for in the coming months.
                                                                      To be honest I do not think this will be nearly as big of a factor as NIL $. The SEC will pay more. Sure they like playing hard competition, etc.. but the $ will drive decisions. This might work out well for lower tier schools like Houston who have boosters who can buy a roster.

But how the relates to OU remains to be seen as so far there are not any big NIL deals that I have seen. Hopefully Rattler is a millionaire and everything is being kept really quiet, or there really are no big NIL deals at OU right now. But it seems weird as other schools are announcing them nearly every day it seems. But not a peep from OU.

Comment

It doesn't say they don't add value, just that they don't add as much as Texas and Oklahoma. That statement also was denied by Clemson and FSU. And, the SEC office poo poos everything until it is official. ESPN's Finebaum was saying to callers just a couple of weeks prior to the UT announcement that Texas would never join the SEC.

When ESPN is ready to move on further additions the narrative will change accordingly. So prior to an announcement everything will be downplayed or denied.

I also find it interesting that the SEC allegedly referred to streaming numbers when the money for FSU is in advertising leverage. Florida and South Carolina pushed for FSU and Clemson in 2011-2, and raised those concerns again recently.

I wouldn't put much stock in this for two reasons:

1. It was in the immediate wake of the OU and UT announcement and people were hysterical and accusing ESPN of building a Super Conference and ESPN was likely not ready to deal with ACC issues.

2. The SEC won't crack the ACC and has made that clear. The ACC is a good buffer for us against B1G expansion. That said we have a 20 school plan for defensive expansion that has existed since 1992 and Jackie Sherrill has referenced it before. So the B1G will have to raid the ACC again and when they do the SEC will move as well. ESPN is good with this because they want to avoid being involved with an in house raid, at least perceptually. If the B1G moves the SEC will "rescue" the ACC schools it takes.
                                                                        Why are you typing in bold? It makes it hard to read or take seriously.

So if the B1G were to take UVA and UNC and make clear that they will not add anymore teams then what?

As valuable of additions as they are to the B1G, which I believe they are the two most valuable options for the B1G, I doubt the loss of UNC and UVA would hurt the ACC"s TV contract much, especially considering they could then add two more out of footprint schools. With VT, NCST, Duke and Wake the ACC will still cover a large swath of the MidAtlantic.

So if the ACC lost UNC and UVA and gained UC and USF and WVU what would that do to their TV contract? I think it goes up especially if ND is still involved in some capacity. And without UNC and UVA who is going to block WVU? Duke? I don't think Duke is going to be calling the shots on their own. This could be a good opportunity to reconfigure the divisions, so why not ask ND if there is a new configuration that could entice them to join as full members?

Perhaps a Golden Domer could chime in here. Does ND prefer the current relationship last into perpetuity or is there a more preferable arrangement?

I'm no ND expert but perhaps they would enjoy a division as such

BC
                                                                        Pitt
                                                                        'Cuse
                                                                        Miami
                                                                        Florida St
                                                                        UC
                                                                        GT

Then continue the Stanford and USC rivalries and still have 1 open scheduling slot.

Comment

Why are you typing in bold? It makes it hard to read or take seriously.

So if the B1G were to take UVA and UNC and make clear that they will not add anymore teams then what?

As valuable of additions as they are to the B1G, which I believe they are the two most valuable options for the B1G, I doubt the loss of UNC and UVA would hurt the ACC"s TV contract much, especially considering they could then add two more out of footprint schools. With VT, NCST, Duke and Wake the ACC will still cover a large swath of the MidAtlantic.

So if the ACC lost UNC and UVA and gained UC and USF and WVU what would that do to their TV contract? I think it goes up especially if ND is still involved in some capacity. And without UNC and UVA who is going to block WVU? Duke? I don't think Duke is going to be calling the shots on their own. This could be a good opportunity to reconfigure the divisions, so why not ask ND if there is a new configuration that could entice them to join as full members?

Perhaps a Golden Domer could chime in here. Does ND prefer the current relationship last into perpetuity or is there a more preferable arrangement?

I'm no ND expert but perhaps they would enjoy a division as such

BC
                                                                          Pitt
                                                                          'Cuse
                                                                          Miami
                                                                          Florida St
                                                                          UC
                                                                          GT

Then continue the Stanford and USC rivalries and still have 1 open scheduling slot.

Ha! At my age I type it in bold so I can read it and spot keystroke errors! It's the small light print I can't read. I intended nothing by the bolding.

If they took UVa and UNC and no other school the SEC might stand pat. The SEC has the most efficient set up at 16. The ACC would likely function in a healthier fashion (meaning more democratically) without UVa and UNC. The Big10 would be at 16, the SEC would be at 16, and if the ACC wanted to expand with WVU most opposition would be gone. They would remain a P conference but I think value wise ND would have to join in full for them to earn more. USF could make it 16, or, maybe they take Army, Navy, and Notre Dame? Who knows. But it's a good question for this reason, only in the ACC are the shots called by schools which are not the highest earners. In every other conference the most leverage belongs to the best earners. So in the ACC if you take the two leaders you are removing two schools near the bottom of the top 1/3rd in revenue production so it doesn't have to be a kill shot. They represent 12.2% of the total ACC value and if ND joined in full they would represent 30+% of the total value, which is enough to cover any 2 of WVU, USF, Army, or Navy and leave a raise.

Comment

I don't think any more big realignment moves are coming for at least a few years. Everybody wants to wait and see what happens to TV contracts in the next go around first.

If you're the Big 10 or Pac 12, you want to see what your new media deals will be worth before you decide to add teams or not. You want to see what the SEC is getting, and then you'll want your new contract to be in the same general ballpark. If you can't get anywhere near that, then you'll start looking to see if you can add any teams that will get you there. I think the SEC is done for now. OU and Texas is a huge win and should be worth a big increase in all their contracts across the board. Renegotiate now and cash in.

It does seem like Kansas is batting their eyes at everyone who comes along. It will be interesting to see if the Big 12 gets raided again in the next few years.

I don't think the ACC is ready to fall apart yet. They might be getting less money than the other conferences, but they could always try to force a new contract by adding West Virginia or something and claiming that it is a material change in the value of the conference. I think that is probably more likely than them splitting apart.

Comment

I think Notre Dame will resist joining a conference as long as they possibly can. You want Notre Dame to join? You better change the rules of the post-season so that independents aren't included in the playoff. But I think that will invite immediate litigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen's friend View Post
                                                                                I don't think any more big realignment moves are coming for at least a few years. Everybody wants to wait and see what happens to TV contracts in the next go around first.

If you're the Big 10 or Pac 12, you want to see what your new media deals will be worth before you decide to add teams or not. You want to see what the SEC is getting, and then you'll want your new contract to be in the same general ballpark. If you can't get anywhere near that, then you'll start looking to see if you can add any teams that will get you there. I think the SEC is done for now. OU and Texas is a huge win and should be worth a big increase in all their contracts across the board. Renegotiate now and cash in.

It does seem like Kansas is batting their eyes at everyone who comes along. It will be interesting to see if the Big 12 gets raided again in the next few years.

I don't think the ACC is ready to fall apart yet. They might be getting less money than the other conferences, but they could always try to force a new contract by adding West Virginia or something and claiming that it is a material change in the value of the conference. I think that is probably more likely than them splitting apart.
                                                                                Well the Big 10 may well be in negotiations now. Their contract is up in 2023. The SEC knows what OU and UT add already. I agree that the PAC waits. The problem for the ACC is if they add any of the remaining B12 schools the value is a wash. It will get them a reevaluated contract and a new vote on a GOR and with the SEC set to be at 76.5 million with OU and UT in per school payouts in 2024 whatever modest bump the ACC could get still leaves them nearly 40 behind the SEC in media revenue and likely a similar or close amount behind the Big 10. So I'm not sure they would risk adding one just to renegotiate.

Comment

ND increasing their ACC agreement from 5 games a year to 7 games a year, playing everyone in one of the ACC divisions could be a nice compromise.

Coastal

BC
                                                                                  Pitt
                                                                                  'Cuse
                                                                                  Miami
                                                                                  Florida St
                                                                                  UC
                                                                                  GT
                                                                                  **ND**

Atlantic

Clemson
                                                                                  VaTech
                                                                                  NCST
                                                                                  WVU
                                                                                  UL
                                                                                  UCF
                                                                                  Duke
                                                                                  Wake

Comment

Unless they come with Notre Dame or UNC I can't see the Big Ten being interested. At least it has geography going for it, and I'm sure Maryland would be 100% in favor of it, but I can't see the Big Ten wanting them alone, or with say a Duke or GT.

Maryland/Rutgers was about cable TV footprint, yes, but it was also about expanding into areas where a lot of Big Ten graduates end up. They already have DC covered with Maryland so Virginia doesn't help there, and while some Big Ten graduates end up in Atlanta due to its size and an even smaller number in Miami neither remotely compare with Denver, LA, SF and Seattle in that respect so the obvious direction to go for that would be west not south.

Comment

ND increasing their ACC agreement from 5 games a year to 7 games a year, playing everyone in one of the ACC divisions could be a nice compromise.

Coastal

BC
                                                                                      Pitt
                                                                                      'Cuse
                                                                                      Miami
                                                                                      Florida St
                                                                                      UC
                                                                                      GT
                                                                                      **ND**

Atlantic

Clemson
                                                                                      VaTech
                                                                                      NCST
                                                                                      WVU
                                                                                      UL
                                                                                      UCF
                                                                                      Duke
                                                                                      Wake

Why would they do that? How does that benefit Notre Dame other than giving them fewer games they get to schedule themselves? All these scenarios trying to lure Notre Dame into joining the ACC always lack one thing: what's in it for Notre Dame? Everyone only thinks about what is in it for the ACC, which is pretty obvious.

Comment

Why would they do that? How does that benefit Notre Dame other than giving them fewer games they get to schedule themselves? All these scenarios trying to lure Notre Dame into joining the ACC always lack one thing: what's in it for Notre Dame? Everyone only thinks about what is in it for the ACC, which is pretty obvious.
                                                                                        What do you make of the ND Toledo game? If that means less than 100k I'd say that was a complete disaster.

There are some odd ones. Kansas vs Coastal on the deuce almost beating USC/Standford on OTA is an eye opener but also shows how USC does not have TV value people think they do as that was a conference game. FS1 is a death sentence even for teams with big fanbases.

Comment

To be honest I do not think this will be nearly as big of a factor as NIL $. The SEC will pay more. Sure they like playing hard competition, etc.. but the $ will drive decisions. This might work out well for lower tier schools like Houston who have boosters who can buy a roster.

But how the relates to OU remains to be seen as so far there are not any big NIL deals that I have seen. Hopefully Rattler is a millionaire and everything is being kept really quiet, or there really are no big NIL deals at OU right now. But it seems weird as other schools are announcing them nearly every day it seems. But not a peep from OU.

Locales as Austin/ Houston & Los Angeles will have plenty of bagdudes, but I think it'll help schools as situated in New York City, Detroit, Chicago, as well...
                                                                                          By the way, found this from efforts of @RedDirtSport on twitterverse, it looks like Oklahoma City meter is trying to ready itself for SEC-type NIL moves eh..?

The irony here is, the former power brands in nearly every one of the "P4" has at least be blueblood that is underperforming for the talent in the area also...

Comment

I think the next player to make a chess move is the B1G. Like the Big12, PAC12's GOR expires soon and their revenues were on par if not weaker than the ACC. If the new deal isnt any better, expect the B1G to poach all of the CAL schools, Washington, and Oregon. The rest would theoretically get absorbed into the Big 12. If the Big 12 expands sooner than this event, they will grab no more than two teams.

Comment

Well I wish we had a Golden Domer to tell us what ND's goals are as I am certainly no ND expert.

But if you are asking me what does this do for ND?

1) It keeps them independent

2) Keeps them from having to join the B1G or SEC, which they seem vehemently opposed to.

3) Gives them games with historic opponents up and down the Atlantic which it seems has been one of their goals historically.

4) The ACC could give them the option to build their own division to their specifications.

Let me ask you this:

What about it do you think they wouldn't like?

What are they going to do if the ACC dissolves and is that option more preferable or less preferable for ND than their current or my proposed ACC arrangement?

So yea if the goals for ND are to play their historic rivals up and down the coast while remaining *independent* and parking their olympic sports in the ACC then all the boxes seem to be checked.

Comment

..
                                                                                                I'm not exactly what this means, but if it means he was given 2 new cars for doing an ad, commercial, etc.. then it's the first I have seen at OU. But they purposefully left out any details, if he is just "using" them or if he owns them, etc...

But it is a better look than the chicken strips.

Comment

Originally posted by FWSooner821 View Post
                                                                                                  I think the next player to make a chess move is the B1G. Like the Big12, PAC12's GOR expires soon and their revenues were on par if not weaker than the ACC. If the new deal isnt any better, expect the B1G to poach all of the CAL schools, Washington, and Oregon. The rest would theoretically get absorbed into the Big 12. If the Big 12 expands sooner than this event, they will grab no more than two teams.
                                                                                                  Yea this was my first thought after OUT was announced as well. It seems the Cali schools have balked at this however. Which actually makes sense if they believe they have an opportunity to increase the PacN $$$$$ which they are heavily invested in. Geography is real issue for Cali schools going B1G.

Comment

What do you make of the ND Toledo game? If that means less than 100k I'd say that was a complete disaster.

There are some odd ones. Kansas vs Coastal on the deuce almost beating USC/Standford on OTA is an eye opener but also shows how USC does not have TV value people think they do as that was a conference game. FS1 is a death sentence even for teams with big fanbases.
                                                                                                    I think N/A means N/A, but if the ratings were great NBC would probably have bragged about it somewhere. NBC is trying to push Peacock, so they put the least desirable ND game on it to try to induce ND fans into subscribing. Probably most didn't, assuming they'd win easily and it wouldn't be down the wire. Same thing ESPN is doing putting some least desirable SEC games on ESPN+ instead of SECN in the future.

I think the poor ratings for USC probably had a lot to do with the start time. 11:56 PM EDT / 8:56 PM PDT is a terrible start time even for football fans on the west coast who have probably been watching football for 12 hours already by that point, let alone for fans elsewhere.

Comment

Yea this was my first thought after OUT was announced as well. It seems the Cali schools have balked at this however. Which actually makes sense if they believe they have an opportunity to increase the PacN $$$$$ which they are heavily invested in. Geography is real issue for Cali schools going B1G.
                                                                                                      100% this and CFB enthusiasm. There are so many people that live in the west coast but they don't seem to have the same kind of following for CFB like the SEC and arguably the B1G as a whole. A plan B would have to be something that would not occur until the ACC GOR have expired (UNC & UVA are the only "flagship" universities in that conference and those are the two that the B1G would go after in this scenario). If the Pac12 survives, expect the Big12 to go to 16 teams.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1