Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The feeling after Swarbrick spoke was that ND might finally be looking at the Big 10.

Indiana, Maryland, Notre Dame, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers

Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin

Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, Utah

California, California Los Angeles, Oregon, Southern Cal, Stanford, Washington

Now place this group with the 24 member SEC, breakaway, monetize hoops and hit the 110-120 million mark.

But, but the value can't be that.

Yes it can if you pay 17 less P schools and focus on a 12 team playoff.

4 top seeds get a bye the next 8 are first round. The playoff money and a smaller number of hands in the pie is how you pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadeye View Post

Whatever. The ass-clown conference supporters are out here saying that somehow the ACC will get a raise to keep it competitive, that the SEC "needs" the ACC, that the ACC will merge with the SEC, and that possibly Notre Dame will join the ACC.

You idiots keep throwing crap against a wall in a desperate hope that you get to keep the fiefdom in tact, and somehow magically pull even revenue-wise with the B1G and SEC. Please keep going, these suggestions are genuine comedy.
      Interestingly it was JR that first said that your ACC expertise was from family ties. How did he know, you had never mentioned it before?
      Then you presented some bogus story about some distant relative that worked for the ACC. Get your stories straight, your coordination is way off.

Pull even revenue wise? Probably not, but the ACC will continue to be a P conference, unlike the remnants of the Big 12 which now has barely established itself as nothing more than the best of the G leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by XLance View Post

Interestingly it was JR that first said that your ACC expertise was from family ties. How did he know, you had never mentioned it before?
        Then you presented some bogus story about some distant relative that worked for the ACC. Get your stories straight, your coordination is way off.

Pull even revenue wise? Probably not, but the ACC will continue to be a P conference, unlike the remnants of the Big 12 which now has barely established itself as nothing more than the best of the G leagues.
        His story is straight. Your days are numbered. Have a nice day!

Comment

Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

His story is straight. Your days are numbered. Have a nice day!
          LMAO at this smack talk. I can't believe conference realignment is this important to you.

Comment

I suggest you let Louisville, BC, Pitt, Miami, Cuse & Wake head to the NB12 to be with WVU.

Duke, UNC, N.C. State, Virginia, Va Tech, Ga Tech, Clemson and FSU and call it a day.

The Irish can enjoy hockey in B1G and swap Purdue for Navy.. Kansas joins them.

Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina

Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M

If the ACC and SEC merged, I agree all ACC members won't be involved. My guess is Lville, GT, BC, Cuse, WF and Pitt would be on the outside looking in. Cuse, Pitt and Gt would likely end up in the B1G.

Comment

College Power-Brokers Poised to Turn NCAA Upside Down

Imagine a college sports world where schools are able to offer each baseball player a full scholarship. Or if a football team’s on-field coaching staff could exceed 25 people.

What if the transfer portal was open to players for just three months out of the year? And what if the recruiting calendar featured no evaluation or quiet periods?

There is a distinct possibility these ideas could become more than just concepts.

The Transformation Committee, a group of high-ranking college leaders charged with overhauling and modernizing NCAA governance, is considering revolutionary changes some administrators describe as “radical.” In a briefing with athletic administrators this week in Dallas, committee leaders revealed ideas to deregulate longtime NCAA bylaws and decentralize such decisions to the conferences.

“It’s going to make some heads explode,” says one athletic director.

The Transformation Committee decided to share the concepts in an apparent effort to prepare administrators for impending change that is even more transformative than many expected. And many officials believe Tuesday night’s announcement that NCAA president Mark Emmert plans to resign next June is a first step in what will be a new NCAA, with transforming starting at the very top.

Several athletic administrators and college sports insiders discussed the Transfer Committee’s concepts under the condition of anonymity. They include (1) eliminating scholarship caps on sports that offer only partial scholarships; (2) abolishing the limitation on the number of coaches per team; (3) expanding direct payments from schools to athletes; (4) reconfiguring the recruiting calendar; and (5) implementing closed periods in the NCAA transfer portal. At least the first three items will be left in the decision-making hands of individual conferences, if the concepts are approved.

While these are only concepts and not approved measures, the ideas are being socialized across the college sports landscape, both in conference-wide meetings and at administrative summits such as the one in Dallas hosted by LEAD1, an organization that represents the FBS athletic directors. The items will be central topics at league meetings next month, when coaches, athletic administrators and university presidents gather to discuss national and conference legislation. (Any recommendations would likely need approval from the NCAA Division I Council and Board of Governors before becoming official.)

“Change is coming,” says another athletic director on hand for the committee’s three-hour presentation Monday in Dallas. “We better get prepared. We shouldn’t be shocked if all this does happen.”

Several members of the 21-person Transformation Committee declined comment or did not respond to messages when contacted by Sports Illustrated.

The committee’s ideas on deregulation were met with opposition from a wide swath of administrators. The moves to abolish restrictions on equivalency scholarships and coaching positions threaten to further widen the gap between the rich programs and those with lesser resources, some believe.

“Every G5 AD is like, ‘Holy s---!’” says one Group of 5 athletic director who attended the presentation.

Chasms already exist within D-I, the top level of the NCAA composed of 350 schools with disparate missions and varying resources all sprinkled across a massive geographic footprint and different cultural lines.

This diverse dynamic, along with myriad other factors—the NCAA’s loss in the Supreme Court case against Alston and the emergence of state-wide name, image and likeness (NIL) laws—have triggered intense and unprecedented change within the 116-year-old association.

The Transformation Committee, chaired by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey and Ohio athletic director Julie Cromer, has been tasked by Emmert and an executive group of school presidents to rewrite D-I policies by August. Now, some believe the process will stretch into the fall.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/2...mittee-changes

Comment

Originally posted by goldendomer View Post
                College Power-Brokers Poised to Turn NCAA Upside Down

Imagine a college sports world where schools are able to offer each baseball player a full scholarship. Or if a football team’s on-field coaching staff could exceed 25 people.

What if the transfer portal was open to players for just three months out of the year? And what if the recruiting calendar featured no evaluation or quiet periods?

There is a distinct possibility these ideas could become more than just concepts.

The Transformation Committee, a group of high-ranking college leaders charged with overhauling and modernizing NCAA governance, is considering revolutionary changes some administrators describe as “radical.” In a briefing with athletic administrators this week in Dallas, committee leaders revealed ideas to deregulate longtime NCAA bylaws and decentralize such decisions to the conferences.

“It’s going to make some heads explode,” says one athletic director.

The Transformation Committee decided to share the concepts in an apparent effort to prepare administrators for impending change that is even more transformative than many expected. And many officials believe Tuesday night’s announcement that NCAA president Mark Emmert plans to resign next June is a first step in what will be a new NCAA, with transforming starting at the very top.

Several athletic administrators and college sports insiders discussed the Transfer Committee’s concepts under the condition of anonymity. They include (1) eliminating scholarship caps on sports that offer only partial scholarships; (2) abolishing the limitation on the number of coaches per team; (3) expanding direct payments from schools to athletes; (4) reconfiguring the recruiting calendar; and (5) implementing closed periods in the NCAA transfer portal. At least the first three items will be left in the decision-making hands of individual conferences, if the concepts are approved.

While these are only concepts and not approved measures, the ideas are being socialized across the college sports landscape, both in conference-wide meetings and at administrative summits such as the one in Dallas hosted by LEAD1, an organization that represents the FBS athletic directors. The items will be central topics at league meetings next month, when coaches, athletic administrators and university presidents gather to discuss national and conference legislation. (Any recommendations would likely need approval from the NCAA Division I Council and Board of Governors before becoming official.)

“Change is coming,” says another athletic director on hand for the committee’s three-hour presentation Monday in Dallas. “We better get prepared. We shouldn’t be shocked if all this does happen.”

Several members of the 21-person Transformation Committee declined comment or did not respond to messages when contacted by Sports Illustrated.

The committee’s ideas on deregulation were met with opposition from a wide swath of administrators. The moves to abolish restrictions on equivalency scholarships and coaching positions threaten to further widen the gap between the rich programs and those with lesser resources, some believe.

“Every G5 AD is like, ‘Holy s---!’” says one Group of 5 athletic director who attended the presentation.

Chasms already exist within D-I, the top level of the NCAA composed of 350 schools with disparate missions and varying resources all sprinkled across a massive geographic footprint and different cultural lines.

This diverse dynamic, along with myriad other factors—the NCAA’s loss in the Supreme Court case against Alston and the emergence of state-wide name, image and likeness (NIL) laws—have triggered intense and unprecedented change within the 116-year-old association.

The Transformation Committee, chaired by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey and Ohio athletic director Julie Cromer, has been tasked by Emmert and an executive group of school presidents to rewrite D-I policies by August. Now, some believe the process will stretch into the fall.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/2...mittee-changes
                Think of this as a line being drawn in the sand. If the members of the NCAA ally against it then it gives those for it a cause to breakaway.

Comment

Reported that Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF will join the Big 12 for 2023-24. Do I want to be out that year? Yes. But would it be a really entertaining product on the field if all 14 of us play a season or two together? Also yes.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                    Reported that Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF will join the Big 12 for 2023-24. Do I want to be out that year? Yes. But would it be a really entertaining product on the field if all 14 of us play a season or two together? Also yes.
                    Hell no to playing in a conference with those schools.

Comment

Think of this as a line being drawn in the sand. If the members of the NCAA ally against it then it gives those for it a cause to breakaway.
                      I don’t think anyone will be coming out in public among Power 5 members and be against this, however, I might have to rethink my previous beliefs on PAC not being poached.

Never did I believe Big 12 would be able to poach PAC for various reasons which I still believe hold up. But I also thought Big Ten and SEC would also not poach PAC for they would not be interested. But I could be dead ass wrong about my prediction. The price tag to competitively field teams from these athletic departments will rise faster than price of milk and gas during this spurt of inflation. How in hell does Washington and USC compete when they won’t come close to receiving the same amount of money in conference payouts as Mississippi St and Purdue?

I don’t think Warren has the balls to bring in 2-4-6 PAC schools but Sankey might. And because Sankey might have the balls Warren might have to grow some.

Big Ten & SEC schools will be able to afford increase in scholarships, coaching staffs and other items that will no longer have limits put on them. ACC schools have a GOR but for top PAC schools this won’t be an issue for them after 2023 football season.

I might have been dead ass wrong. Today, I would bet against my prediction PAC wouldn’t be poached before their new deal is signed sometime in 2023. Yowsa.

Comment

Nobody knows what we will eventually see but there has been talk as of late on several Oklahoma sports talk shows by the host that Super conference's are in our future due to NIL.

They seem to feel that many schools will be left out and that a strong basketball program won't be enough to make the cut.
                        There is some speculation that OU and UT may never make it to the SEC as it now exist.

They further speculate that federal law changes will be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post

I don’t think anyone will be coming out in public among Power 5 members and be against this, however, I might have to rethink my previous beliefs on PAC not being poached.

Never did I believe Big 12 would be able to poach PAC for various reasons which I still believe hold up. But I also thought Big Ten and SEC would also not poach PAC for they would not be interested. But I could be dead ass wrong about my prediction. The price tag to competitively field teams from these athletic departments will rise faster than price of milk and gas during this spurt of inflation. How in hell does Washington and USC compete when they won’t come close to receiving the same amount of money in conference payouts as Mississippi St and Purdue?

I don’t think Warren has the balls to bring in 2-4-6 PAC schools but Sankey might. And because Sankey might have the balls Warren might have to grow some.

Big Ten & SEC schools will be able to afford increase in scholarships, coaching staffs and other items that will no longer have limits put on them. ACC schools have a GOR but for top PAC schools this won’t be an issue for them after 2023 football season.

I might have been dead ass wrong. Today, I would bet against my prediction PAC wouldn’t be poached before their new deal is signed sometime in 2023. Yowsa.

The SEC won't poach Pac 12 schools for the same reason the Big Ten won't. Geographic / time zone issues mean that one or two of those schools aren't going to want to join conferences that are mostly in the eastern half of the US, and enough schools for them to be willing to come aren't valuable enough to make the numbers work.

What the NCAA seems to be planning, along with pay for play, makes me even more certain that the idea of a "Big Ten" or "SEC" will go away with whatever model comes next. Whichever group of schools go "no limit" in this new model will form their own league and divide up along geographical / rivalry boundaries. You'll see pieces of the Pac 12, SEC and Big Ten in some of those divisions, but it won't work out evenly so there will be some surprises I'm sure (i.e. maybe something like Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisville, Indiana, Purdue together in one)

Comment

This is how I feel. I think the Big 12 could - if it doesn't get in its own way - put together an extremely entertaining Big 12 South/West division for a year or two. I also wouldn't mind seeing Kelvin bring his basketball team to Norman once or twice.

Comment

Originally posted by slice1900 View Post

The SEC won't poach Pac 12 schools for the same reason the Big Ten won't. Geographic / time zone issues mean that one or two of those schools aren't going to want to join conferences that are mostly in the eastern half of the US, and enough schools for them to be willing to come aren't valuable enough to make the numbers work.

What the NCAA seems to be planning, along with pay for play, makes me even more certain that the idea of a "Big Ten" or "SEC" will go away with whatever model comes next. Whichever group of schools go "no limit" in this new model will form their own league and divide up along geographical / rivalry boundaries. You'll see pieces of the Pac 12, SEC and Big Ten in some of those divisions, but it won't work out evenly so there will be some surprises I'm sure (i.e. maybe something like Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisville, Indiana, Purdue together in one)
                              Think 48 and you are in the right ball park plus or minus 8.

Comment

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/co...k-like-in-2026

To be clear, nothing I’m about to prophesize will happen within the next few years because most conference contracts are locked in well into the next decade. And league members in the Big Ten, Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC have signed corresponding Grant of Rights agreements that make it prohibitively difficult for them to jump ship before then.

The next window for mass shuffling will start around 2023, when all five* power conferences’ primary rights deals come up within a three-year span. (The Big Ten has not yet formalized its forthcoming TV deals, but reports indicate they will be for six years, ending in 2023. The SEC’s contract with CBS expires in 2024, but its ESPN/SEC Network deal is in place through 2034.)Perhaps more important, the College Football Playoff's 12-year contract ends with the 2025 season. As I’m about to outline, the next big realignment shift will go hand in hand with the evolution of the playoff.

Comment

Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post

Hell no to playing in a conference with those schools.
                                  They’re better at both revenue sports than most of who we’ve been playing. No, I don’t want to be in a league of commuter schools long-term, but that’s already been solved. For a year or two it would be enormously entertaining.

Comment

I have mentioned this before, back before this forum was migrated from LandThieves.

Comment

Originally posted by goldendomer View Post
                                      Eliminating scholarship caps, hiring unlimited coaches, and expanding direct payments from schools to athletes are all where the haves put the pressure on the have-nots. The B1G and SEC will be taking full advantage of their extra revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Notre Dame Joe View Post

JRSEC taught me how the state schools can ultimately bill the taxpayer for their football program.
                                        Or do you mean JRsec*? JRSEC is someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post
                                          The latest news from Nebfaninwi, is that the bluebloods "we knew what will happen" will be in "super league"...

If you go to the 52:00 minute mark, Josh talks of a best CFP expansion setup with Oklahoma & Texas in SEC...

For the record I hope Kansas joins SEC, I like watching Sooners play in Allen Field House (& win sometimes)...
                                          I agree with the first part of your last sentence, but not the second. That triple OT Jayhawk win a few years ago was a classic. I was so glad when the AFH crowd gave Buddy Hield an ovation!

Comment

They’re better at both revenue sports than most of who we’ve been playing. No, I don’t want to be in a league of commuter schools long-term, but that’s already been solved. For a year or two it would be enormously entertaining.
                                            The term commenter school is last century.

Schools like Houston and USF will pass many in the P5 as schools within a generation. Likely superior to OU academically.

which is not outside of why some want the culling and separation to a P2 now. if these startups in resource rich areas allowed to gain their way to being included in the national branding that is college athletics, in a pay to play structure, there’s only ancient history separating them.

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post
                                              Nobody knows what we will eventually see but there has been talk as of late on several Oklahoma sports talk shows by the host that Super conference's are in our future due to NIL.

They seem to feel that many schools will be left out and that a strong basketball program won't be enough to make the cut.
                                              There is some speculation that OU and UT may never make it to the SEC as it now exist.

They further speculate that federal law changes will be needed.
                                              Typical disruptions for people to predict an event but maintain current framework.

Separation is a lot harder without unlocking the basketball potential.

If you’re going Armageddon, why is basketball still using old revenue distribution? More importantly, how do you get past it?

It needs to be a big tent of brands. That includes basketball brands. The macros and legal/legislation are higher and easier respectively.

Comment

Eliminating scholarship caps, hiring unlimited coaches, and expanding direct payments from schools to athletes are all where the haves put the pressure on the have-nots. The B1G and SEC will be taking full advantage of their extra revenue.
                                                Exactly.
                                                Let the marketplace squeeze out the others until no one cares about them, avoid legal challenges

Comment

Originally posted by RealignmentFan View Post

Exactly.
                                                  Let the marketplace squeeze out the others until no one cares about them, avoid legal challenges
                                                  In my best Jack Nicholson voice, you need us patsies up on that wall!

Comment

The term commenter school is last century.

Schools like Houston and USF will pass many in the P5 as schools within a generation. Likely superior to OU academically.

which is not outside of why some want the culling and separation to a P2 now. if these startups in resource rich areas allowed to gain their way to being included in the national branding that is college athletics, in a pay to play structure, there’s only ancient history separating them.
                                                    WTH is a "commenter" school? Do they only do play by play while others compete? Are they hyper critical? Hmm?

Comment

WTH is a "commenter" school? Do they only do play by play while others compete? Are they hyper critical? Hmm?
                                                      I think he meant "commuter" school, since he mentioned Houston and UCF.

Comment

That’s correct, commuter school, it was also in the post quoted.

It’s an interesting topic. There’s no doubt the upstart schools value college athletics as a means to more quickly develop the collegial culture their older counterparts enjoy.

And it ties into the disruption facing higher education, as residential education increasingly develops a luxury good class. High major athletics is a way for these institutions to be the premium brand, or in Florida and Texas, a way to slow schools otherwise better positioned from joining that level.

Comment

Typical disruptions for people to predict an event but maintain current framework.

Separation is a lot harder without unlocking the basketball potential.

If you’re going Armageddon, why is basketball still using old revenue distribution? More importantly, how do you get past it?

It needs to be a big tent of brands. That includes basketball brands. The macros and legal/legislation are higher and easier respectively.
                                                          Football has always driven the bus on this topic and aways will.
                                                          IMHO, on those basketball brands, they had better at least have a respectable football program if they want to be included in any coming super conference. Only a few do.

Comment

I know. He just deserved a little grief for not proofing his post!

Comment

IMHO, on those basketball brands, they had better at least have a respectable football program if they want to be included in any coming super conference. Only a few do.
                                                              No, they just need a football team. Honestly, providing losses for the football blue-bloods is not all bad. And then those football blue-bloods provide losses back in basketball. It's a reciprocal, or symbiotic relationship.

Comment

Looking at posts from Nebfaninwi (that has insight on B1G point of view, the idea of a "breakaway league" may be gaining traction...

Prestige Worldwide Athletic Association -

West:
                                                                Washington
                                                                Oregon
                                                                USC
                                                                UCLA
                                                                Arizona State
                                                                Utah
                                                                Colorado
                                                                Nebraska
                                                                Kansas
                                                                Missouri
                                                                Oklahoma
                                                                Texas
                                                                Texas A&M
                                                                Texas Tech
                                                                LSU
                                                                Arkansas

East:

Iowa
                                                                Wisconsin
                                                                Michigan
                                                                Ohio State
                                                                Penn State
                                                                Virginia Tech
                                                                North Carolina
                                                                Clemson
                                                                Georgia
                                                                Florida
                                                                Florida State
                                                                Alabama
                                                                Auburn
                                                                Ole Miss
                                                                Tennessee
                                                                Kentucky

& in that case, (my theory) in having 2 divisions of 16 *{at least} there is a chance to have something really cool in just a few years...

Comment

No, they just need a football team. Honestly, providing losses for the football blue-bloods is not all bad. And then those football blue-bloods provide losses back in basketball. It's a reciprocal, or symbiotic relationship.
                                                                  No university has moved to the SEC or B1G based on its basketball brand. That's the average level an athletic department is going to need to reach.
                                                                  Nobody can preform to the average level of the SEC or B1G departments with an historically poor football program with not much support.

If we move to super conferences with so few university's, it's likely that at least some B1G and SEC university's will be at risk of not making the cut. Same deal but even more so for ACC, Big 12 and PAC universities. The smaller market university's will be at a disadvantage. So will those where nobody watches. Basketball usually attracts smaller TV ratings over many years. Thats why football will still be driving the bus.

Comment

Looking at posts from Nebfaninwi (that has insight on B1G point of view, the idea of a "breakaway league" may be gaining traction...

West:
                                                                    Washington
                                                                    Oregon
                                                                    USC
                                                                    UCLA
                                                                    Arizona State
                                                                    Utah
                                                                    Colorado
                                                                    Nebraska
                                                                    Kansas
                                                                    Missouri
                                                                    Oklahoma
                                                                    Texas
                                                                    Texas A&M
                                                                    Texas Tech
                                                                    LSU
                                                                    Arkansas

East:

Iowa
                                                                    Wisconsin
                                                                    Michigan
                                                                    Ohio State
                                                                    Penn State
                                                                    Virginia Tech
                                                                    North Carolina
                                                                    Clemson
                                                                    Georgia
                                                                    Florida
                                                                    Florida State
                                                                    Alabama
                                                                    Auburn
                                                                    Ole Miss
                                                                    Tennessee
                                                                    Kentucky

& in that case, (my theory) in having 2 divisions of 16 *{at least} there is a chance to have something really cool in just a few years...
                                                                    There is a lot of talk on the local radio about this topic...its all speculation at this point.
                                                                    kopp0e did you ever get your CDL and are you on the road? are you able to hear any of this local talk on the radio?

Comment

No university has moved to the SEC or B1G based on its basketball brand.
                                                                      This is true, but it will change once the NCAA collapses.

Comment

There is a lot of talk on the local radio about this topic...its all speculation at this point.
                                                                        kopp0e did you ever get your CDL and are you on the road? are you able to hear any of this local talk on the radio?
                                                                        Yeah, I have actually seen firsthand that many points you & RocketCity have mentioned, have been accurate..! I still listen to KREF & 107.7...
                                                                        I've been (so far) from Detriot to San Diego/ Salt Lake City to Atlanta, so in essence yes B1G & SEC towns really (really, really) care of CFB...

What was a "surprise" was how many USC fans in the last few years since I had been to Los Angeles, didn't care so much on USC football...
                                                                        As a matter of fact, my unscientific poll had a higher ratio of Arizona State fans in Phoenix, vs USC fans in LA, Ohh & Husker fans are cool..!

Comment

This is true, but it will change once the NCAA collapses.
                                                                          It's going to be based on money...
                                                                          That gives football a huge advantage over basketball when there is not at least a minimally respectable football program to tag along.

Comment

Yeah, I have actually seen firsthand that many points you & RocketCity have mentioned, have been accurate..! I still listen to KREF & 107.7...
                                                                            I've been (so far) from Detriot to San Diego/ Salt Lake City to Atlanta, so in essence yes B1G & SEC towns really (really, really) care of CFB...

What was a "surprise" was how many USC fans in the last few years since I had been to Los Angeles, didn't care so much on USC football...
                                                                            As a matter of fact, my unscientific poll had a higher ratio of Arizona State fans in Phoenix, vs USC fans in LA, Ohh & Husker fans are cool..!
                                                                            Good for you...CDL drivers are in extreme demand. Good luck with that. Thanks for the acknowledgment,,, RocketCity and I have been around the bock a few times but he has helped send things into to outer space in a much bigger way than I ever did. Always follow the money. Especially your own. Make it work for you.

Comment

West:
                                                                              Washington
                                                                              Oregon
                                                                              USC
                                                                              UCLA
                                                                              Arizona State
                                                                              Utah
                                                                              Colorado
                                                                              Nebraska
                                                                              Kansas
                                                                              Missouri
                                                                              Oklahoma
                                                                              Texas
                                                                              Texas A&M
                                                                              Texas Tech
                                                                              LSU
                                                                              Arkansas

East:

Iowa
                                                                              Wisconsin
                                                                              Michigan
                                                                              Ohio State
                                                                              Penn State
                                                                              Virginia Tech
                                                                              North Carolina
                                                                              Clemson
                                                                              Georgia
                                                                              Florida
                                                                              Florida State
                                                                              Alabama
                                                                              Auburn
                                                                              Ole Miss
                                                                              Tennessee
                                                                              Kentucky

It is a cool idea on how to kill college sports. Besides the fans of the schools, nobody else is going to watch this. Yeah, splitting the money by 32 will be fine the first tv contract. But overall interest in college sports will decline every year. Then instead of making $60 million a year, it'll be $45 million a year the next tv contract. Take out the $15 million head coach salary , increased travel, 4 sports cut, this grand idea won't look so smart.

Comment

Originally posted by NJTerp View Post
                                                                                Dr. Emmert and the NCAA Board of Governors have agreed on the terms of Dr. Emmett’s resignation. He will step down when a successor takes over or June 30, 2023, whichever comes first. IMO, this is good news, except it is about ten years late. Emmert was given an extension through 2025, so it is interesting he and/or the NCAA decided it was finally a good time for him to disappear.
                                                                                the only thing I gleaned from the Savvy Jack Swarbrick interview on SI this week is that he is bucking for Archbish NCAA President.

Comment

I have mentioned this before, back before this forum was migrated from LandThieves.
                                                                                  Yep, I have been here since then.. Landthieves og.

Comment

Originally posted by Notre Dame Joe View Post

the only thing I gleaned from the Savvy Jack Swarbrick interview on SI this week is that he is bucking for Archbish NCAA President.
                                                                                    Hope so, he would be perfect. The NCAA needs an attorney running it.

Comment

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/co...k-like-in-2026

To be clear, nothing I’m about to prophesize will happen within the next few years because most conference contracts are locked in well into the next decade. And league members in the Big Ten, Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC have signed corresponding Grant of Rights agreements that make it prohibitively difficult for them to jump ship before then.

The next window for mass shuffling will start around 2023, when all five* power conferences’ primary rights deals come up within a three-year span. (The Big Ten has not yet formalized its forthcoming TV deals, but reports indicate they will be for six years, ending in 2023. The SEC’s contract with CBS expires in 2024, but its ESPN/SEC Network deal is in place through 2034.)Perhaps more important, the College Football Playoff's 12-year contract ends with the 2025 season. As I’m about to outline, the next big realignment shift will go hand in hand with the evolution of the playoff.

There's simply no way you end up with so few as 24 schools, because fans of half those schools would be forced to accept a losing record each season. For some, that would quickly become EVERY season because in even in a league that's supposed to be "all blueblood", some blood is bluer.

There are always going to some bottom feeders like Rutgers or Kansas. If you don't have Rutgers and Kansas you still have bottom feeders, but in that 24 school league maybe they are UCLA, Arkansas, Nebraska and Miami. How much is this new league worth if those schools simply can't compete when faced with a weekly diet of Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame and Georgia, and their fanbases begin tuning out after a few years?

Comment

There's simply no way you end up with so few as 24 schools, because fans of half those schools would be forced to accept a losing record each season. For some, that would quickly become EVERY season because in even in a league that's supposed to be "all blueblood", some blood is bluer.

There are always going to some bottom feeders like Rutgers or Kansas. If you don't have Rutgers and Kansas you still have bottom feeders, but in that 24 school league maybe they are UCLA, Arkansas, Nebraska and Miami. How much is this new league worth if those schools simply can't compete when faced with a weekly diet of Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame and Georgia, and their fanbases begin tuning out after a few years?
                                                                                        Bottom feeders are un-necessary overhead.
                                                                                        The NFL gives the worst teams the path to get better through the draft, because they want parity.
                                                                                        If the reason to divide into 2 super leagues is to be able to make more money than anyone else, eventually Purdue and Rutgers will have to go. Why continue to pay Vanderbilt and Mississippi State? Records will no longer matter because the goal is to reach the playoffs, not win your conference. That's the essence of playoff sports.

Comment

Originally posted by HouClone View Post

It is a cool idea on how to kill college sports. Besides the fans of the schools, nobody else is going to watch this. Yeah, splitting the money by 32 will be fine the first tv contract. But overall interest in college sports will decline every year. Then instead of making $60 million a year, it'll be $45 million a year the next tv contract. Take out the $15 million head coach salary , increased travel, 4 sports cut, this grand idea won't look so smart.
                                                                                          I have read tweets/ threads where it is expected to be closer to 36 to 48 teams overall…
                                                                                          Will that be enough slots for Iowa State, I dunno but Notre Dame & the like are “locks”.?!

The NFL gives the worst teams the path to get better through the draft, because they want parity.
                                                                                          If the reason to divide into 2 super leagues is to be able to make more money than anyone else, eventually Purdue and Rutgers will have to go. Why continue to pay Vanderbilt and Mississippi State? Records will no longer matter because the goal is to reach the playoffs, not win your conference. That's the essence of playoff sports.
                                                                                          & I’m looking at realignment passively as Sooners are safe, but what about Sun Devils.?!
                                                                                          How would the new Prestige Worldwide Athletic Association do a draft like in NFL tho???
                                                                                          Last edited by kopp0e; 04-28-2022, 04:09 AM.

Comment

That certainly will be the biggest adjustment. Much of the fan interest is centered around winning. Playing 4-5 competitive games a year, with the rest some degree of a cupcake has been the formula for success and fan engagement. Yes, there still is bitching about the quality of home schedules and such, but when push comes to shove, everything boils down to winning. There aren't going to be 5 P5 teams that can boast about their conference championship and the wins that go along with it.

Comment

Yes, without any hint of a doubt: the essence of playoff sports is the playoff, not a regular season conference championship, nor a conference championship game win, much less CCG appearance. That may be the reason that Jack Swarbrick acted as he did, in secrecy even from Notre Dame officials, in regard to playoff expansion. Swarbrick is just another shark lawyer. It remains to be seen if the University of Notre Dame is run by the same type people, or if Swarbrick and many football boosters will be reined in. If Notre Dame goes in for what amounts to semi-pro football, then it will be the biggest lying and most hypocritical whore in sports history.

If the SEC is going to add Texas and OU to secure even more money than the BT, it then must find a way to make certain that more than 2 SEC teams get into the playoffs, annually. The same goes for the BT adding ND and anybody else that would strengthen BT football.

The insatiable drive to be the richest guarantees vampire capitalist plots, in major college sports as elsewhere.

The reality is that there cannot be any draft, perhaps even if this plan gets to acknowledged semi-pro status. So what the bottom half of SEC football did in approving OU and Texas is guarantee that it has virtually 0 chance to ever break through, even for 1 glorious CCG appearance per decade.

The Big Ten leadership always loved the Big 2/Little 8. OU and Nebraska loved the Big 2/Little 6.

All of this is just a much larger version, one directed by 2 conferences rather than just the BT, of the BT bribing the Pac to close the Rose Bowl. The purpose is to get richer, much richer, by closing competition, by monopolizing. Vampire capitalism, which JRsec says he opposes right after and right before he preaches it again for college sports.

Comment

Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post

That certainly will be the biggest adjustment. Much of the fan interest is centered around winning. Playing 4-5 competitive games a year, with the rest some degree of a cupcake has been the formula for success and fan engagement. Yes, there still is bitching about the quality of home schedules and such, but when push comes to shove, everything boils down to winning. There aren't going to be 5 P5 teams that can boast about their conference championship and the wins that go along with it.
                                                                                                Even if there is a Super BT of 24 teams and a Super SEC of 24 teams, that problem will remain.

Comment

I have read tweets/ threads where it is expected to be closer to 36 to 48 teams overall…
                                                                                                  The 48 figure seems to the most popular number being kicked around on local radio.

Could we keep the current format for everything but football and just have the top 48 football brands playing each other?

Comment

Originally posted by WoadBlue View Post

Yes, without any hint of a doubt: the essence of playoff sports is the playoff, not a regular season conference championship, nor a conference championship game win, much less CCG appearance. That may be the reason that Jack Swarbrick acted as he did, in secrecy even from Notre Dame officials, in regard to playoff expansion. Swarbrick is just another shark lawyer. It remains to be seen if the University of Notre Dame is run by the same type people, or if Swarbrick and many football boosters will be reined in. If Notre Dame goes in for what amounts to semi-pro football, then it will be the biggest lying and most hypocritical whore in sports history.

If the SEC is going to add Texas and OU to secure even more money than the BT, it then must find a way to make certain that more than 2 SEC teams get into the playoffs, annually. The same goes for the BT adding ND and anybody else that would strengthen BT football.

The insatiable drive to be the richest guarantees vampire capitalist plots, in major college sports as elsewhere.

The reality is that there cannot be any draft, perhaps even if this plan gets to acknowledged semi-pro status. So what the bottom half of SEC football did in approving OU and Texas is guarantee that it has virtually 0 chance to ever break through, even for 1 glorious CCG appearance per decade.

The Big Ten leadership always loved the Big 2/Little 8. OU and Nebraska loved the Big 2/Little 6.

All of this is just a much larger version, one directed by 2 conferences rather than just the BT, of the BT bribing the Pac to close the Rose Bowl. The purpose is to get richer, much richer, by closing competition, by monopolizing. Vampire capitalism, which JRsec says he opposes right after and right before he preaches it again for college sports.
                                                                                                    And what you will not acknowledge Woad is that the Networks created the monetary arms race and the fear of falling behind so that in their hostile takeover of college sports they could get richer from a product in which they had zero developmental costs and only had to pay pennies on the dollar for the rights to a product they simply rent for a period of time. Cash & Fear is what realignment is about and all confeences are victims. The SEC and B1G were simply the easiest tools for the networks to build around.

I watched the same thing happen to private business in the 80's and 90's. Does the time frame sound familiar? Now look at how the same entities have stolen your political voice. And in the same time period. Corporate destruction of everything we loved, freedom, self determination, our faith, our public gathering touchstones, and our alma maters as one of those has been seized for profiteering and like the story of Midas everything they turn to gold dies. I picked college sports to illustrate this 17 years ago because it was universally loved for its uniqueness and disorganization in hopes it would wake people up. It didn't. We are all now pretty much screwed because no national defense can operate on a quarterly profits basis, the world is short resources and long population, and we have hungry enemies all around. And you want to blame the SEC and Big 10. You illustrate my point as a sociologist perfectly. We the people can't identify and deal with a problem if it employs us or enriches our retirement plan.

I love my old Auburn. I despise what this beautiful campus community has done for developer profits, and what I fear has built past what local reservoirs can sustain in water. Truly the love of money is the root of all evil.

Just remember no college president woke up in 1987 and said, "We must grow our market footprint!" No college presidents knew what their viewer share numbers were, or even thought of ad rates. And until network collaboration no campus sold its name, image, and likeness to IMG, which is why athletes and coaches figured out they could and should. When the verbiage used no longer is native to your business something alien is in control.

Comment

We’re past the driving the bus stage of realignment.

We’re in the crashing the bus stage. Armageddon in which the entire concept of amateurism is challenged. I wouldn’t bet on revenue mechanisms being static, or the design of the future entity in which student employees participate in to be inclusive of only football considerations.

These decisions are not rewards. They’re projections of the impact on conference value in the future. In the somewhat zero sum of conference competition, adding brands that have proven to not need football at all to be close in terms of minimum value, is a safe bet. Add in the macros of a bigger tent and solving the basketball tournament problem, and basketball is more valuable in this era of realignment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1