First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OU48A View Post
    IDK...Nobody knows in this environment...but nothing about these changes are set in stone, yet.

The NET's money and their desires and the desires of conferences and universities at this point are in flex with the super conferences on the horizon.
    Well, here is a pointed tweet I noticed yesterday that involves the Trojans in the debate centered on what Julius & Uberism have discussed: A coming "separation" in CFP...
    It sounds as if what Finebaum is saying (by proxy of pro-PAC reporter Wilner) USC may be a free agent, maybe USC would have been an option if OU/ UT didn't bolt 1st..?

Anyway, I hope (& expect) a majority of new arrangement of a "post-NCAA ruled collegiate landscape" as there will still be a large majority of current rivalries on television...
    I still stick to point that its a core part of college sports that needs to be fostered even if NIL dissects what we view as normal, I think a majority of bluebloods stay together..!

Comment

[QUOTE=OU48A;n998155]
      Originally posted by Julius View Post
      IDK...Nobody knows in this environment...but nothing about these changes are set in stone, yet.

The NET's money and their desires and the desires of conferences and universities at this point are in flex with the super conferences on the horizon.
      The trick OU48a is to be in the SEC or B1G as these will likely be the nuclei of what ever evolves. They have the most viewers, the most recognizable brands, the most natural rivalry and allow for geographical cohesion, and their divisions represent distinct subsets in definable markets. Adding East Coast and West coast wings will be easily done. It won't be called a P2 but that's plainly where we are headed.

Comment

This could be the start of the super conferences that in due time will likely be trimmed down to a certain level of profitability.

Note, that as I expected, basketball value is not included with this proposal.
        Of course basketball value is included. That list is all 10 conferences that play 1A/FBS football, which means 100% of the most valuable basketball brands. The only conference that is 'major' basketball that is not on that list is the Big East, and not one program in the BE has a basketball value greater than that of a mid-tier ACC or BT basketball program. The only program that is not in the 1A/FBS leagues and the BE with significant value is Gonzaga. Isn't it interesting that we have had talk recently of Gonzaga perhaps joining the BE.

It would be stupid to make 1A/FBS football its own NCAA division but leave its basketball to being watered down by the bottom dozen or more D1 basketball conferences. If 1A/FBS makes that move, then it would be wise to run its own basketball tournament as well, and have a conference (or 2 or 3?) that do not play football: the BE obviously but perhaps also the Atlantic 10, WCC, MVC.

Comment

Originally posted by WoadBlue View Post

Of course basketball value is included. That list is all 10 conferences that play 1A/FBS football, which means 100% of the most valuable basketball brands. The only conference that is 'major' basketball that is not on that list is the Big East, and not one program in the BE has a basketball value greater than that of a mid-tier ACC or BT basketball program. The only program that is not in the 1A/FBS leagues and the BE with significant value is Gonzaga. Isn't it interesting that we have had talk recently of Gonzaga perhaps joining the BE.

It would be stupid to make 1A/FBS football its own NCAA division but leave its basketball to being watered down by the bottom dozen or more D1 basketball conferences. If 1A/FBS makes that move, then it would be wise to run its own basketball tournament as well, and have a conference (or 2 or 3?) that do not play football: the BE obviously but perhaps also the Atlantic 10, WCC, MVC.
          This clearly separates the value of football from all other sports including basketball.
          The pecking order has always been dominated by football.

Time will tell but my question is...will programs like Rutgers, Maryland, Vanderbilt and perhaps others have enough football value to stay in their current conferences when we are probably only looking at the football value of something like 48 programs.

I also believe that if someone like Smith was talking about this publicly that many conversations behind closed doors have already occurred with other schools and Nets

Originally posted by goldendomer View Post
          With the collegiate landscape in the midst of sweeping changes and uncertainties, Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith on Tuesday proposed the 10 FBS conferences operate under the umbrella of the College Football Playoff with their own rules and structure while the NCAA continues to host championships for basketball and Olympic sports.

Smith, who said he was "just throwing ideas out" in a brief interview with ESPN at the Big Ten spring meetings, said the schools that offer 85 scholarships "need different rules." He said they could create minimum standards for membership.

"We [can] create our own rules, create our own governance structure, have our own enforcement, we have our own requirements, whatever that might be," Smith said. " ... That might be in the medical space, for example, if a student-athlete is injured and hurt in his or her senior year. You take care of them when they're done until they're healed. And we have the funding in place to do that. You don't touch anything else with the NCAA. You keep the academic requirements in place. The reality is, those schools who offer 85 scholarships in football have made a different commitment and that needs to be addressed."
          https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...heir-own-rules

Comment

This clearly separates the value of football from all other sports including basketball.
            The pecking order has always been dominated by football.

Time will tell but my question is...will programs like Rutgers, Maryland, Vanderbilt and perhaps others have enough football value to stay in their current conferences when we are probably only looking at the football value of something like 48 programs.

I also believe that if someone like Smith was talking about this publicly that many conversations behind closed doors have already occurred with other schools and Nets

Why would Vanderbilt be kicked out of the SEC?

Why would Vanderbilt take themselves out of the SEC?

SEC is not breaking up.

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

Well, here is a pointed tweet I noticed yesterday that involves the Trojans in the debate centered on what Julius & Uberism have discussed: A coming "separation" in CFP...
              It sounds as if what Finebaum is saying (by proxy of pro-PAC reporter Wilner) USC may be a free agent, maybe USC would have been an option if OU/ UT didn't bolt 1st..?

Anyway, I hope (& expect) a majority of new arrangement of a "post-NCAA ruled collegiate landscape" as there will still be a large majority of current rivalries on television...
              I still stick to point that its a core part of college sports that needs to be fostered even if NIL dissects what we view as normal, I think a majority of bluebloods stay together..!
              I have suggested the A&M leak was only a leak to ESPN. With the Pac12 deal nearing, moving that piece ASAP was important long term. And adding more bidders to the CFP hardly a cost to the SEC.

Perhaps I am missing something.

Comment

SEC is not breaking up.
                Does their football value meet the new coming standards for inclusion into what will likely be limited membership

Comment

Does their football value meet the new coming standards for inclusion into what will likely be limited membership
                  What the hell are you talking about?

Oklahoma hasn’t played 1 game in SEC and you already kicking Vanderbilt out of the conference?

Limited membership into what exactly?

Please explain this limited membership and in how and why SEC would kick members out the door.

Comment

We don’t even know if G5 will be separated from P5 in expanded college football playoffs and we have people on here thinking Vanderbilt will get kicked out of this delusional made up limited membership super league.

We have gone from most people here saying GOR’s don’t matter, and they most definitely do, to saying conference membership in SEC don’t matter.

Terrible takes all over the place in this thread.

Comment

We don’t even know if G5 will be separated from P5 in expanded college football playoffs and we have people on here thinking Vanderbilt will get kicked out of this delusional made up limited membership super league.

We have gone from most people here saying GOR’s don’t matter, and they most definitely do, to saying conference membership in SEC don’t matter.

Terrible takes all over the place in this thread.
                      Legal precedents exist for voiding GOR's and a SCOTUS ruling for pay for play would likely meet that precedent. Vanderbilt staying in the SEC will simply be their choice as nobody will kick them out. Ditto Northwestern, etc. Safey = SEC/B1G. Uncertainty = everything else.

Comment

Don't let flugempire = Julius see that quote from a well-connected insider in the Pac 12 country. Flugy boy will have another meltdown rage on Twiterr blocking anyone that mentions separation, new division, and going away from the NCAA.

Comment

[QUOTE=JRsec*;n998257]

The trick OU48a is to be in the SEC or B1G as these will likely be the nuclei of what ever evolves. They have the most viewers, the most recognizable brands, the most natural rivalry and allow for geographical cohesion, and their divisions represent distinct subsets in definable markets. Adding East Coast and West coast wings will be easily done. It won't be called a P2 but that's plainly where we are headed.
                          Once this breaks, the Big Ten is going to lose their top brands and then the rest of their conference will live on under the NCAA.

FOX would be happy as fuck for that to happen since they would be able to share with ESPN with the super league in telecasting games and both FOX and ESPN (and other networks) still get their regular college games like they do these days.

A super league the netowrks can charge more for ad dollars and get even bigger tv ratings.

Comment

Exactly. A major athletic director even said as such.

Comment

Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

Legal precedents exist for voiding GOR's and a SCOTUS ruling for pay for play would likely meet that precedent. Vanderbilt staying in the SEC will simply be their choice as nobody will kick them out. Ditto Northwestern, etc. Safey = SEC/B1G. Uncertainty = everything else.
                              There is no legal precedent to void GORs.

And there will be no Power 5 Athletic Department which will stop playing sports at Power 5 levels because of Pay to Play.

Each of these universities have invested millions of dollars into facilities and whole host of other items to build their front porches to their schools.

Vanderbilt has committed themselves to SEC until at least 2034. SEC has committed themselves to Vanderbilt until at least 2034. ESPN has committed themselves to SEC until at least 2034.

Now tell me again about this limited membership bullshit league you guys are discussing?

It’s almost if you guys are looking to get high but the amount of heroin it takes to reach same high keeps getting larger and larger and so here we are talking Super League.

Oklahoma just separated itself from Big 12. Now before playing an SEC game Sooner fans are looking to separate themselves from other SEC schools?

Comment

Originally posted by uberism View Post

Don't let flugempire = Julius see that quote from a well-connected insider in the Pac 12 country. Flugy boy will have another meltdown rage on Twiterr blocking anyone that mentions separation, new division, and going away from the NCAA.
                                Have you read the California bill? It’s more than Pay to Play. The pay is dependent on how much each school makes in revenues and the percentages are specified by state government of California. The decision on how much to pay each player is not in the hands of school or conference. Nobody in SEC would be for this bill either. USC wasn’t for this bill. California schools have serious issues with this bill but it doesn’t seem the legislature’s care.

Comment

I’ve been wrong before, but NW is solidly in the new era. It benefits them greatly

Comment

SEC is not breaking up.
                                    Julius, I know that you don't place any value in what JRsec* says, but he has said on more than one occasion that the SEC will never kick Vanderbilt out of the SEC, even though Vandy has not made necessary facility improvements going back to 1981. The reason that Vanderbilt itself might choose to leave the conference (in all sports or in FB only) would be because of a need for new research facilities on campus, and the FB stadium occupies just such space.

Comment

Once this breaks, the Big Ten is going to lose their top brands and then the rest of their conference will live on under the NCAA.

FOX would be happy as fuck for that to happen since they would be able to share with ESPN with the super league in telecasting games and both FOX and ESPN (and other networks) still get their regular college games like they do these days.

A super league the netowrks can charge more for ad dollars and get even bigger tv ratings.
                                      If the Big Ten is going to lose their top football brands where do they go? who will be joining them?

Seems like the ACC and the BIG 12 might have a few strong football brands.

If the Big Ten is going to lose their top brands why wouldn't the SEC, but maybe more so. Seems like some of the stronger ACC and BIG 12 schools would be a good fit.

This is where a NET could issue its own invitations to brand new football only conferences.

Comment

If the Big Ten is going to lose their top football brands where do they go? who will be joining them?

Seems like the ACC and the BIG 12 might have a few strong football brands.

If the Big Ten is going to lose their top brands why wouldn't the SEC, but maybe more so. Seems like some of the stronger ACC and BIG 12 schools would be a good fit.

This is where a NET could issue its own invitations to brand new football only conferences.
                                        I read this and all I think of is what moonshine do they possess?

My father and his best friend made moonshine for over 40 years. I have bottles of the stuff which is over 20 years old. If I drank 1/4 of a bottle of mine which my father made I still couldn’t possibly believe the shit you guys are throwing out. The Big Ten and SEC schools have already financially separated themselves from the other P5 conferences. But you still looking for more separation when Oklahoma doesn’t dare move against the Big 12 GOR?

What the fuck do you guys think will happen when you try this stupid idea of a Super League?

BRRAAAAAWWWWWHHHHAAAAA!!!

It’s a hell of a drug you guys all are taking.

Comment

I read this and all I think of is what moonshine do they possess?

My father and his best friend made moonshine for over 40 years. I have bottles of the stuff which is over 20 years old. If I drank 1/4 of a bottle of mine which my father made I still couldn’t possibly believe the shit you guys are throwing out. The Big Ten and SEC schools have already financially separated themselves from the other P5 conferences. But you still looking for more separation when Oklahoma doesn’t dare move against the Big 12 GOR?

What the fuck do you guys think will happen when you try this stupid idea of a Super League?

BRRAAAAAWWWWWHHHHAAAAA!!!

It’s a hell of a drug you all are taking.
                                          Football only super conferences change everything about football conference membership's...and that's what being talked about.

Comment

Football only super conferences change everything about football conference membership's...and that's what being talked about.
                                            Who is talking about this Super Conference? Gene Smith sure wasn’t talking about Ohio St joining a Super Conference. I haven’t heard anybody from Oklahoma talking about a Super Conference. Swarbrick said maybe one would happen in mid 2030’s. We are 13-14 years away from mid 2030’s. LOL!

Nobody in leadership is discussing Super Conference. SEC is not breaking up. Vanderbilt would sue your ass and break your bank.

I thought Texas Longhorn and Pittsburgh Panther fans were the most condescending a-holes on the planet but maybe I was mistaken.

Comment

There is no legal precedent to void GORs.

And there will be no Power 5 Athletic Department which will stop playing sports at Power 5 levels because of Pay to Play.

Each of these universities have invested millions of dollars into facilities and whole host of other items to build their front porches to their schools.

Vanderbilt has committed themselves to SEC until at least 2034. SEC has committed themselves to Vanderbilt until at least 2034. ESPN has committed themselves to SEC until at least 2034.

Now tell me again about this limited membership bullshit league you guys are discussing?

It’s almost if you guys are looking to get high but the amount of heroin it takes to reach same high keeps getting larger and larger and so here we are talking Super League.

Oklahoma just separated itself from Big 12. Now before playing an SEC game Sooner fans are looking to separate themselves from other SEC schools?
                                              There exists ample precedents in the entertainment industry for voiding GOR's rendered inequitable by change of law. I've told you this many times. You just don't want to look them up because it makes a shambles of your asinine narrative. And sorry but nobody cares what fans think, only officials of the schools and donors matter.

Comment

It's been talked about since 1970. It's part of the noise of deliberate confusion now. It's not what is happening. It's scare tactics to make people want to stay with the familiar devil, the NCAA. It's called disinformation and you've been eaten up with it for years at LT and here.

Comment

Who is talking about this Super Conference? Gene Smith sure wasn’t talking about Ohio St joining a Super Conference. I haven’t heard anybody from Oklahoma talking about a Super Conference. Swarbrick said maybe one would happen in mid 2030’s. We are 13-14 years away from mid 2030’s. LOL!

Nobody in leadership is discussing Super Conference. SEC is not breaking up. Vanderbilt would sue your ass and break your bank.

I thought Texas Longhorn and Pittsburgh Panther fans were the most condescending a-holes on the planet but maybe I was mistaken.
                                                  There have been several media members in Oklahoma talking about the possibility in recent weeks

Comment

There have been several media members in Oklahoma talking about the possibility in recent weeks
                                                    So all these contracts just goes up in smoke? SEC Network is finished?

Everything is gone and torn up just to please a few schools and the schools left out from receiving an invitation from who knows whom are not going to sue your ass?

Most of you have lost all sense of reality.

Let me know the start date of this Super Conference and Oklahoma’s home schedule.

Comment

So all these contracts just goes up in smoke? SEC Network is finished?

Everything is gone and torn up just to please a few schools and the schools left out from receiving an invitation from who knows whom are not going to sue your ass?

Most of you have lost all sense of reality.

Let me know the start date of this Super Conference and Oklahoma’s home schedule.

Nobody knows when, but speculation says in the next few years all the way out to 2030

Comment

Nobody knows when, but speculation says in the next few years all the way out to 2030
                                                        Who is speculating next few years?

Ohio State not signing on for new Big Ten media contract this month?

Who in SEC going to be left out of this Super Conference?

And final question, who is handing out the invitations?

Its a land of make believe on this thread.

Comment

You don't happen to have a link to cite those precedents, do you?
                                                          It's possible that Vandy, NW, Duke, BC, Tulane SMU and Wake Forest may be interested in forming a "Magnolia" conference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by XLance View Post

It's possible that Vandy, NW, Duke, BC, Tulane SMU and Wake Forest may be interested in forming a "Magnolia" conference.

Google circumstances where entertainment GOR's were rendered void by court action. It was some such similar search which yielded the cases.

Comment

There’s little chance of that if Johnson vs NCAA is in favor of employee status. Ivy model is out imo.

If athletes are employees, the pressure to get in a P2 goes up. Everyone wants to be in the majors, but some will be stuck trying to figure out how to make it work as AA schools.

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/RossDelle...45891980365824

PAC & SEC Commissioners working together to get National Law in place to protect College Sports.

But yet Super Duper League is being formed right now with 30 schools.

BRRRRRAAAAAWWWHHHHHAAAAA!!

Comment

PAC & SEC Commissioners working together to get National Law in place to protect College Sports.

This doesn't mean no breakaway. It means the commissioners see problems with viability if NIL isn't given some guidelines. Only Congress can do that. This is an issue no matter whether there is a breakaway or not.

Comment

You think protecting the product and empowering the schools to control NIL is only good if status quo?

There aren’t many schools that want to see their budgets decreased because players get 7 figures.

Comment

This doesn't mean no breakaway. It means the commissioners see problems with viability if NIL isn't given some guidelines. Only Congress can do that. This is an issue no matter whether there is a breakaway or not.
                                                                      This wasn’t the narrative you were expecting was it JRsec?

You thought Sankey was working quietly with Ohio St and Oregon to set up a super super league.

You guys can’t help yourself.

First it was ACC will be poached by SEC in five years because GORs do not matter. Now it’s super duper league because there will be power 5 schools who just will quit because of my big NIL war chest sitting in my lap.

BRRRAAAWWWHHHHAAAA!!

WVU will remain in Power 5 along with Auburn.

Drink up!!

Comment

Next 24 hours 90% of all comments on this thread will try to describe why PAC & SEC working together to find solutions is a sign that Super Duper League of 30 schools will
                                                                        be formed in next few years.

BRRRAAAAWWWWWWHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!

Comment

This wasn’t the narrative you were expecting was it JRsec?

You thought Sankey was working quietly with Ohio St and Oregon to set up a super super league.

You guys can’t help yourself.

First it was ACC will be poached by SEC in five years because GORs do not matter. Now it’s super duper league because there will be power 5 schools who just will quit because of my big NIL war chest sitting in my lap.

BRRRAAAWWWHHHHAAAA!!

WVU will remain in Power 5 along with Auburn.

Drink up!!
                                                                          It doesn't impact my narrative at all. Whether we have a single super league or a breakaway P2, NIL is going to need some guidelines. We'll see.

Comment

The NCAA already tried for a long time now to try and get federal legislation around NIL and couldn't get it. These two guys are just giving the NCAA the middle finger and will try on their own.

This goes to show that a breakaway is only more likely. If they wanted the NCAA to do this they wouldn't be trying on their own.

Julius = flugempire is desperate for the NCAA to manage things so his Gophers don't risk being left behind in a breakaway.

Julius is an idiot.

Comment

Next 24 hours 90% of all comments on this thread will try to describe why PAC & SEC working together to find solutions is a sign that Super Duper League of 30 schools will
                                                                              be formed in next few years.

BRRRAAAAWWWWWWHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!
                                                                              Can you explain how this is evidence that the sport is not progressing to a top two conference setup?

Do you think any commissioner, P2 or P5, want players to have unconstrained access to booster money? These presidents and ADs generally like to have power over that, if not get their cut.

I do question what the SEC gains from the BIG side of the P2 embracing pay to play, but these schools will always try to protect their power. The courts took that away with NIL, and they’re trying to get it back without NCAA

Comment

Who would be in this super conference with Oklahoma? Their GOR expires soon and since they don't have a definite exit date they probably haven't signed anything binding with the SEC yet, so I guess they are free agents, along with Texas. Ditto Pac 12 members like USC. I suppose Big Ten schools are as well - though they better hurry because they're gonna be asked to sign away their T1/T2 rights for another 6 to 10 years or so in the next few weeks based on Warren's timeline.

Kind of throws a monkey wrench in the deal that the SEC and ACC schools are committed into the next decade though. How does these "media members" think they're going to get out of that? If the whole SEC gets in the super conference and ESPN is a media partner in it I guess their GOR presents no obstacle but what about the ACC? They just play with the left behinds and G5 for the next decade or so? Or do they let in 11 ACC schools, allowing them to vote to dissolve the conference?

Comment

Originally posted by slice1900 View Post

Who would be in this super conference with Oklahoma? Their GOR expires soon and since they don't have a definite exit date they probably haven't signed anything binding with the SEC yet, so I guess they are free agents, along with Texas. Ditto Pac 12 members like USC. I suppose Big Ten schools are as well - though they better hurry because they're gonna be asked to sign away their T1/T2 rights for another 6 to 10 years or so in the next few weeks based on Warren's timeline.

Kind of throws a monkey wrench in the deal that the SEC and ACC schools are committed into the next decade though. How does these "media members" think they're going to get out of that? If the whole SEC gets in the super conference and ESPN is a media partner in it I guess their GOR presents no obstacle but what about the ACC? They just play with the left behinds and G5 for the next decade or so? Or do they let in 11 ACC schools, allowing them to vote to dissolve the conference?
                                                                                  Great questions and obviously there are no answers except for, “wait until the courts rule it will change everything.”

It won’t change anything.

Super Duper League drug was a higher potent hit that some people needed to take in their arm to get through this off season.

Imagine thinking Nebraska would receive this magical invite to the Super Duper League while Wisconsin would politely step away.

You have to be suffering some serious Cornhusker trauma because of a 4-8 season and having to cope with another season of having a terrible head football coach to go through this delusional episode and to bring people with you on this ride.

Comment

Number Uno: Kansas will most likely not sign a GoR’s that locks out a chance to join B1G or SEC (PAC)..?
                                                                                    Number Two: Oklahoma will not have 3rd tier with Bally as of July 1st so SECN is “needed” before 2025..?

Comment

Number Uno: Kansas will most likely not sign a GoR’s that locks out a chance to join B1G or SEC (PAC)..?
                                                                                      Number Two: Oklahoma will not have 3rd tier with Bally as of July 1st so SECN is “needed” before 2025..?
                                                                                      Oklahoma is parking their 3rd tier in ESPN+. Oklahoma will be on SECN once they are legally in SEC.

I have no idea what Kansas, WVU and rest of Big 12 schools will do with signing a Big 12 GOR or not for their next media deal.
                                                                                      Tough question.

Comment

Unless Oklahoma and Texas can come to an agreement with the Big 12 ($$$), it's seems unlikely they would start legal proceedings that would 1) be very expensive and 2) unlikely to have a legal settlement much ahead of the time the GOR's actually expired. It would just be throwing money away.
                                                                                        Somebody is going to have to open a wallet (wide) for Texas and Oklahoma to be able to leave early.

Comment

An NCAA Q&A, part 2: “You could have schools that say, ‘Look, this is not fair. We want our own league because we are the ones driving these revenues.’ ” https://on3.com/news/ncaa-its-just-a-matter-of-when-student-athletes-will-be-classified-as-employees-tom-mcmillen/…

Comment

An NCAA Q&A, part 2: “You could have schools that say, ‘Look, this is not fair. We want our own league because we are the ones driving these revenues.’ ” https://on3.com/news/ncaa-its-just-a-matter-of-when-student-athletes-will-be-classified-as-employees-tom-mcmillen/…
                                                                                            So Student Athletes become employees. Now what? They get paid to play for a school. They have contracts. They can get fired for poor performance. In professional leagues there are drafts. But then someone says you can’t force a student athlete to go to a school which he or she doesn’t want to attend. Good point…so this is not a professional league after all is it now.

Lots of difficult questions which makes it even more complicated when you consider state laws coming into effect. SEC Commissioner today is asking Senators in Washington DC to stop Student Athletes from becoming employees. As yourself why that is and you can see how complicated this all is when you take away all of the bull shit.

Comment

Unless Oklahoma and Texas can come to an agreement with the Big 12 ($$$), it's seems unlikely they would start legal proceedings that would 1) be very expensive and 2) unlikely to have a legal settlement much ahead of the time the GOR's actually expired. It would just be throwing money away.
                                                                                              Somebody is going to have to open a wallet (wide) for Texas and Oklahoma to be able to leave early.
                                                                                              That somebody, of course, would be ESPN, ensuring the Big 12 doesn't lose any TV revenue when OU/UT leaves. At that point, the damages are centered around the Big 12 costs in bringing on new teams. The GoR is all about conference TV revenue protection in the case of having a team move and end up blowing up the TV contract.

Comment

Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post

That somebody, of course, would be ESPN, ensuring the Big 12 doesn't lose any TV revenue when OU/UT leaves. At that point, the damages are centered around the Big 12 costs in bringing on new teams. The GoR is all about conference TV revenue protection in the case of having a team move and end up blowing up the TV contract.
                                                                                                Grants of Rights is between the Conference and the schools. It’s protects the Conference who hold the rights of the schools so if school should leave before end of GOR the conference still continues to own the media rights and the revenues that come with withdrawn school. ESPN pays the conference directly. Conference distributes revenues in accordance to Conference Bylaws. ESPN is paying out the agreed upon number regardless of what said school does or doesn’t do.

GOR protects the conference and the schools who are acting in accordance to conference bylaws. ESPN nor does any other media company receive nor need protection from a Grants of Rights.

Comment

ESPN+, OU reach multiyear SoonerVision deal (sportsbusinessjournal.com)

ESPN+ and Oklahoma have agreed to the most expansive media-rights deal for an individual athletic program on the streaming service.

ESPN+ will carry more than 100 live Oklahoma events, including one football game each season, some men’s and women’s basketball, studio shows and archived content. ESPN+ for the first time will create a landing page that directs viewers to “SoonerVision on ESPN+.” SoonerVision is Oklahoma’s in-house production arm.

The new multiyear agreement will launch in August, in time for the start of fall events, and will carry live OU home events that are not picked up by linear channels. This content previously ran as part of Sooner Sports TV on Bally Sports Oklahoma and Bally Sports Southwest.

Financial terms were not released, but Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione told SBJ that “it would be worth more than what we’ve had previously.” The Sooners will join the SEC, which has all of its media rights with ESPN, no later than '25. “This deal is about access and reach,” Castiglione added. “I’m just happy that we’re going to be able to continue to offer more than 1,000 hours annually of live content.”
                                                                                                  Last edited by OU48A; 05-05-2022, 08:26 AM.

Comment

ESPN+, OU reach multiyear SoonerVision deal (sportsbusinessjournal.com)

ESPN+ and Oklahoma have agreed to the most expansive media-rights deal for an individual athletic program on the streaming service.

ESPN+ will carry more than 100 live Oklahoma events, including one football game each season, some men’s and women’s basketball, studio shows and archived content. ESPN+ for the first time will create a landing page that directs viewers to “SoonerVision on ESPN+.” SoonerVision is Oklahoma’s in-house production arm.

The new multiyear agreement will launch in August, in time for the start of fall events, and will carry live OU home events that are not picked up by linear channels. This content previously ran as part of Sooner Sports TV on Bally Sports Oklahoma and Bally Sports Southwest.

Financial terms were not released, but Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione told SBJ that “it would be worth more than what we’ve had previously.” The Sooners will join the SEC, which has all of its media rights with ESPN, no later than '25. “This deal is about access and reach,” Castiglione added. “I’m just happy that we’re going to be able to continue to offer more than 1,000 hours annually of live content.”
                                                                                                    Now what is the duration of this deal. It starts in August in time for 2022 football but when does it end?
                                                                                                    Of course that may not matter since ESPN holds the rights to SECN as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketCitySooner View Post

Now what is the duration of this deal. It starts in August in time for 2022 football but when does it end?
                                                                                                      Of course that may not matter since ESPN holds the rights to SECN as well.
                                                                                                      This says its a multi year deal...so who knows exactly how long, but it could still show content not shown on the SEC network.
                                                                                                      OU will be making more money than it did on it's old Bally deal...how much remains to be seen.

This will give OU fans and athletes families living anywhere in the nation good access to OU sports

ESPN+ and OU Announce Multi-Year SoonerVision on ESPN+ Agreement - University of Oklahoma (soonersports.com)

NORMAN — ESPN+ and the University of Oklahoma announced today a multi-year agreement for SoonerVision on ESPN+ that will include more than 100 annual live events, studio programming and archival content. ESPN+ will stream one regular season college football game and the annual Oklahoma spring football game, as well as more than 100 additional competitions across men's and women's basketball and varsity Olympic sports, including Oklahoma's NCAA champion women's gymnastics and softball programs. On top of live game programming, SoonerVision on ESPN+ will also include classic content, coaches shows, pro days, pregame shows and more.

"Given the overwhelming size and passion of the Sooners fan base, we are thrilled that ESPN+ is partnering with Oklahoma to create SoonerVision on ESPN+, the most expansive agreement ESPN+ has with an individual university athletics program," said OU Vice President and Athletics Director Joe Castiglione. "SoonerVision on ESPN+ builds upon our previous media successes by offering over 1,000 hours annually of live OU sports events and other programming to ESPN+'s growing subscriber base of more than 21.3 million. As a result, OU fans will now have an easily accessible year-round media home on all their screens."

"The University of Oklahoma is home to one of the premier athletic departments in the country and we look forward to presenting a wide variety of men's and women's sports on SoonerVision on ESPN+ to fans across the country," said Nick Dawson, Vice President, Programming & Acquisitions, ESPN. "From live events to historic games and studio programming, Sooners fans will be able to access all of the content they love via their favorite connected devices."

Beginning in August, content will be available on ESPN+ via a SoonerVision landing page, with live events starting at the onset of the fall athletics season. Combined with the Oklahoma games televised on ESPN's linear channels with TV Everywhere authentication, the ESPN App is one convenient destination to access Sooners sports.

Information regarding access to Oklahoma athletics live events and content outside the U.S. will be announced forthcoming.

Lee H. Berke, President & CEO of LHB Sports, Entertainment & Media, Inc., advised Oklahoma on the development of this agreement.

About ESPN+
                                                                                                      ESPN+ is the industry-leading sports streaming service that offers fans in the U.S. thousands of live sports events, original programming not available on ESPN's linear TV or digital networks and exclusive editorial content from dozens of ESPN writers and reporters. Launched in April 2018, ESPN+ has grown to more than 21.3 million subscribers.

Fans sign up to ESPN+ for just $6.99 a month (or $69.99 per year) at ESPN.com, ESPNplus.com or on the ESPN App (mobile and connected devices). It is also available as part of The Disney Bundle that gives subscribers access to Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu for $13.99/month (Hulu w/ads) or $19.99/month (Hulu w/o ads). Subscribers to Hulu + Live TV also receive ESPN+ at no additional cost.

About SoonerVision
                                                                                                      SoonerVision is the in-house video production arm of OU Athletics, serving in-venue, digital media, studio and live game broadcast productions. Over the past decade, SoonerVision has produced over 700 live game events. With an extensive archive of media dating back to the early 1940s, the University of Oklahoma was the first school in the country to produce a weekly coach's show when former OU head football coach Bud Wilkinson began taping a show in 1953. An OU staple for nearly 70 years, the program will continue this fall as "Sooner Football with Brent Venables" debuts on ESPN+.

What will I get with my ESPN + subscription?
                                                                                                      • 1 regular season Oklahoma football game (formerly accessible by pay-per-view)
                                                                                                      • 25+ Oklahoma basketball games
                                                                                                      • All other Olympic-sport live game content for Oklahoma Athletics
                                                                                                      • Thousands of events from MLB, NHL, MLS, LaLiga, Bundesliga, Top Rank Boxing, UFC Fight Nights, Grand Slam tennis and other college sports competitions
                                                                                                      • ESPN+ Originals
                                                                                                      • Entire '30 for 30' Library
                                                                                                      Last edited by OU48A; 05-05-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1