First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

Part of it is likely a satellite uplink in sync with ESPN and SEC studios. The LHN could become anything from SEC West studio to anything ESPN can purpose it to be. Mayne a B12/ACC remnant West Studio for their network. We'll see!

LHN studios in Austin, ESPN studios in Charlotte (where the SECN is housed), ESPN studios in Bristol (where the ACCN is housed) are all well placed to produce content for collegiate properties that ESPN owns.
    Last edited by XLance; 05-13-2022, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Part of it is likely a satellite uplink in sync with ESPN and SEC studios. The LHN could become anything from SEC West studio to anything ESPN can purpose it to be. Mayne a B12/ACC remnant West Studio for their network. We'll see!
      LHN doesn’t have its own facilities. It doesn’t have its own studios. Its a skeleton crew using SEC trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by XLance View Post

LHN studios in Austin, ESPN studios in Charlotte (where the SECN is housed), ESPN studios in Bristol (where the ACCN is housed) are all well placed to produce content for collegiate properties that ESPN owns.
        It’s a good thing signage is cheap

Comment

Originally posted by RealignmentFan View Post

It’s a good thing signage is cheap

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

I'm thinking that the Shag boards are on fire right now..

Comment

A nice welcoming to the SEC for UT.

So who is little brother here. Or are they twins?

Comment

I don't see the SEC breaking up, being renamed maybe, but not breaking up. If... and I do mean if, there still is CFB as we now know it(personally I doubt it very much), what happens to G5/D-II/D-III schools? They keep the NC2A and the two "super conferences" just make up the rules as they go along or just follow whatever Mother Disney says? That's my biggest concern in all of this, the little guys just fold up their football programs or their entire athletic departments all together. I've been saying it for as long as this thread has been around, I don't see CFB existing past "25". I've been wrong before and I'll be glad to be wrong again, but for some reason it just doesn't seem likely.

Comment

Seems to be too much noise for anything of significance to be happening. If I don't care about any of this and nobody is talking and nothing is happening then expect big things to happen.

if people are saying things in public, then my guess is nothing is going on.

Comment

A nice welcoming to the SEC for UT.

So who is little brother here. Or are they twins?

Disney is telling the Longhorns "you used to own a conference, now you don't even own your state" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by slice1900 View Post

Disney is telling the Longhorns "you used to own a conference, now you don't even own your state" LOL
                      Anybody with a brain could have told Texas that if it chose any route other than being 'The Richest Dog with the largest Dog House in its league' that the new entity would make certain that Texas knew its place.

Super rich Texas whored its dignity for even more money. As I said here when 'here' was still Landthieves, if Texas ever joins the SEC it will be humbling itself, not just to the SEC but specifically to A&M by limply following A&M.

Nobody will have sympathy for Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Longcrawler View Post
                        I don't see the SEC breaking up, being renamed maybe, but not breaking up. If... and I do mean if, there still is CFB as we now know it(personally I doubt it very much), what happens to G5/D-II/D-III schools? They keep the NC2A and the two "super conferences" just make up the rules as they go along or just follow whatever Mother Disney says? That's my biggest concern in all of this, the little guys just fold up their football programs or their entire athletic departments all together. I've been saying it for as long as this thread has been around, I don't see CFB existing past "25". I've been wrong before and I'll be glad to be wrong again, but for some reason it just doesn't seem likely.
                        What amounts to semi-pro football will not be CFB, in any meaningful sense. Those who assume such an entity (maybe 48 teams?) will retain, beyond a few years, the huge drawing power that top level CFB has may find that they destroyed a great thing for a quick cash in and then a slow decline in fan interest.

Comment

Originally posted by WoadBlue View Post

Anybody with a brain could have told Texas that if it chose any route other than being 'The Richest Dog with the largest Dog House in its league' that the new entity would make certain that Texas knew its place.

Super rich Texas whored its dignity for even more money. As I said here when 'here' was still Landthieves, if Texas ever joins the SEC it will be humbling itself, not just to the SEC but specifically to A&M by limply following A&M.

They had to leave.

They lost to KU. Failure in the Big 12 while A&M is doing okay in the SEC had to end. Better to lose in the SEC

Comment

Originally posted by Longcrawler View Post
                            People (not you) generally never look at any of this against a greater economic backdrop. The "breakaway" is as much about brand distinction and survival as it is about more sports revenue. We forget that the strongest G5's (excluding BYU) are all subsidized by 25% of their total athletic budget or much much greater percentages at many programs. In a time in which fuel prices have more than doubled, food is up 30%, and enrollment is down overall, and the middle class is shrinking, State and Federal budgets are more strained than ever. The schools which can operate without any subsidy, or less than 10%, which is the majority of P5s, should be separated. If they spend more to make more at least tax payers aren't funding it. Sports programs at universities are luxuries, not necessities, though many think their schools are entitled to them. They are not if taxes pay for it. With fewer playing high school ball, this separation, and should eventual closings of sports programs at smaller schools occur, at least the game will survive without having to suffer diminishment in skills utilized. Fewer top tier schools means a greater sustainability of the industry. People think the NFL is unsinkable. It's not. No solid college football = no future NFL.

The consolidation into a P2 not only preserves college football, but ultimately the NFL, and that means the preservation of 2 iconic multi billion dollar industries. This is why I called it a survival move.

So ;why a P2? You need it to prevent anti-trust issues, if branded B1G & SEC it pits 2 natural rivalries against the backdrop of history, and makes sure all participants are frequently seen in high recruiting areas and essentially levels the playing field's revenue. So that should enable a better competitiveness than merely hosting the annual SEC invitational.

So my heart does not bleed for programs which do not have enough internal financial resources to play without heavy state subsidies. It's time the nation moves past its Santa Clause finance mentality and deal with the reality of operating within a budget and not stealing from others to live a fantasy. No good life lesson comes from a subsidy. Times are headed lean so I'm not sorry if it sounds mean!

Comment

If SEC and Big Ten grow to 20 each it’s going to be awhile. ACC Schools can’t be touched for at least another 8-10 years.

If we are looking at 40 school division with SEC and Big Ten becoming the tent posts I would guess these schools to be added eventually.

Big Ten 14
                              —————
                              Oregon
                              Washington
                              USC
                              Virginia
                              North Carolina
                              Notre Dame

SEC 16
                              —————
                              Florida St
                              Miami Fl
                              Virginia Tech
                              Clemson

This is just my guess. I would need this to grow to 48 or beyond for WVU to have a chance. The problem is SEC and Big Ten would need strong reasons to grow beyond 20 each and I don’t see the incentive when all this could happen in mid 2030’s.

EDIT: I guess I could see financial reasons for SEC including North Carolina St & Virginia Tech. I still can’t see 48 school Big Ten & SEC conferences combined unfolding in mid 2030’s.

Comment

People (not you) generally never look at any of this against a greater economic backdrop. The "breakaway" is as much about brand distinction and survival as it is about more sports revenue. We forget that the strongest G5's (excluding BYU) are all subsidized by 25% of their total athletic budget or much much greater percentages at many programs. In a time in which fuel prices have more than doubled, food is up 30%, and enrollment is down overall, and the middle class is shrinking, State and Federal budgets are more strained than ever. The schools which can operate without any subsidy, or less than 10%, which is the majority of P5s, should be separated. If they spend more to make more at least tax payers aren't funding it. Sports programs at universities are luxuries, not necessities, though many think their schools are entitled to them. They are not if taxes pay for it. With fewer playing high school ball, this separation, and should eventual closings of sports programs at smaller schools occur, at least the game will survive without having to suffer diminishment in skills utilized. Fewer top tier schools means a greater sustainability of the industry. People think the NFL is unsinkable. It's not. No solid college football = no future NFL.

The consolidation into a P2 not only preserves college football, but ultimately the NFL, and that means the preservation of 2 iconic multi billion dollar industries. This is why I called it a survival move.

So ;why a P2? You need it to prevent anti-trust issues, if branded B1G & SEC it pits 2 natural rivalries against the backdrop of history, and makes sure all participants are frequently seen in high recruiting areas and essentially levels the playing field's revenue. So that should enable a better competitiveness than merely hosting the annual SEC invitational.

So my heart does not bleed for programs which do not have enough internal financial resources to play without heavy state subsidies. It's time the nation moves past its Santa Clause finance mentality and deal with the reality of operating within a budget and not stealing from others to live a fantasy. No good life lesson comes from a subsidy. Times are headed lean so I'm not sorry if it sounds mean!
                                I do feel the new schools, like the two Florida startups, have a point when arguing that most established brands were reliant on state support to get that way. Alas, life is not fair though. Those times are long gone

Comment

So ;why a P2? You need it to prevent anti-trust issues

That's not realistic. If the two conferences operated by a common agreed upon set of rules as they do today that would be seen as exactly the sort of collusion/cartel antitrust laws were created to prevent. If they each make their own rules that would be a recipe for chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
                                    EDIT: I guess I could see financial reasons for SEC including North Carolina St & Virginia Tech. I still can’t see 48 school Big Ten & SEC conferences combined unfolding in mid 2030’s.

Why does everyone always want nice round numbers like 40 or 48 or 56, or conferences with an even number of schools? I see no reason to expect either. If it came down to the P2 expanding to grab what they want from the rest of the P5, and the SEC has 22 and only sees one school they want left on the board, why can't they end up at 23? The NFL operated for years with divisions of unequal size. If the Big Ten ended up with 19 and the SEC 23, so be it. There wouldn't be any reason for the Big Ten to find more to equal the number the SEC has, or for either to find one more to get to an even number.

Different sized divisions might even be more fair if you end up with some divisions stronger than others, which will always be the case.

Comment

Why does everyone always want nice round numbers like 40 or 48 or 56, or conferences with an even number of schools? I see no reason to expect either. If it came down to the P2 expanding to grab what they want from the rest of the P5, and the SEC has 22 and only sees one school they want left on the board, why can't they end up at 23? The NFL operated for years with divisions of unequal size. If the Big Ten ended up with 19 and the SEC 23, so be it. There wouldn't be any reason for the Big Ten to find more to equal the number the SEC has, or for either to find one more to get to an even number.

That might even be more fair if you end up with some divisions stronger than others, which will always be the case.
                                      You might be right. SEC and Big Ten are only going to expand their own controlled conference to what is economically in their best interests. SEC could wind up with 22 and Big Ten with 16. But the P2 is in their hands. Swarbrick is saying everyone is trying to jump onto one of these planets in our ever shrinking solar system.

Comment

Different sized divisions might even be more fair if you end up with some divisions stronger than others, which will always be the case.
                                        Odd number of teams does create some scheduling head aches of having to always have at least one team on a bye week every week during conference play. It not insurmountable, but would be annoying for the school that gets their bye week at the end of the season. I guess they can plug in a non-conference game, but those become hard to do other than the SEC November cream puffs.

Comment

Originally posted by ekeithly View Post
                                          Seems to be too much noise for anything of significance to be happening. If I don't care about any of this and nobody is talking and nothing is happening then expect big things to happen.

if people are saying things in public, then my guess is nothing is going on.
                                          Texas said yesterday when they joined the SEC the LHN would be dead. So much ado about nothing.

Comment

That's not realistic. If the two conferences operated by a common agreed upon set of rules as they do today that would be seen as exactly the sort of collusion/cartel antitrust laws were created to prevent. If they each make their own rules that would be a recipe for chaos.
                                            Hooey, all they need is a standard for entry. It's a business now.

Comment

No more chaos than what we have now.

Conferences will be able to set their own rules. It’s very likely the P2 will have similar ones.

Comment

Simply because it's easier for minds to grasp and doesn't lend itself to whataoutism questions which derail the topic. Slive said that the cap on the size of a conference is only set when it is no longer possible to expand profitably.

Comment

Does it matter?

Could be anywhere between 40 to 56. My guess is 48, but the most important thing is fairly balanced in power/revenue. Otherwise it’s not stable

Comment

Simply because it's easier for minds to grasp and doesn't lend itself to whataoutism questions which derail the topic. Slive said that the cap on the size of a conference is only set when it is no longer possible to expand profitably.
                                                    In that case we have already reached that point.

Comment

In that case we have already reached that point.
                                                      Not by a longshot!

Comment

A man who thinks like John D Rockefeller: we force you either to die or be subsumed by us in order to save the industry.

The Big Ten mentality has never changed a bit. Notre Dame whoring to it will be funnier than Texas doing so.

Comment

Your post that followed the quoted one above one was spot on.

Regarding Texas, I am married to an A&M alum, so no love for Texas here. However, there willingness to not be the power center of a conference anymore, is a positive attribute, even if there motive wasn’t altruistic. Maybe there is hope for Texas. Nah, maybe not.

And regarding the post above. Let’s just say Mr. Swofford fit your description of JD Rockefeller’s business philosophy, or tried to, when he killed the old Big East.

One more point. I find it interesting that when Notre Dame (almost fully) joined the ACC, ACC fans seemed to love it. Even some went on about how upstanding Notre Dame was. That tune seems to have changed.
                                                          Last edited by NJTerp; 05-14-2022, 11:14 AM.

Comment

A man who thinks like John D Rockefeller: we force you either to die or be subsumed by us in order to save the industry.

The Big Ten mentality has never changed a bit. Notre Dame whoring to it will be funnier than Texas doing so.
                                                            What's funny are the whiny assed Carolina fans who ignore with extreme hypocrisy the corruption within their own athletic department, supported decades of expending resources on hoops instead of the money sport, and who now that their fiefdom is in disarray resorts to calling those with foresight business tyrants and in a major act of projection calls out Texas and Notre Dame for looking out for their self interests when Carolina has never done anything but hose conference mates not named Duke and Virginia.

And of all of the whiny assed Carolina fans you are the most intolerable likely due to over compensation for being an East Tennessee hillbilly. Your personal inadequacies wreak from your posts but they are comedy gold when analyzed. UNC only has value at all because they still carry a market of ~11 million, weakly though the support may be.

In your own conference Carolina Business decisions have you squarely behind FSU, Louisville, Clemson, Miami, and Duke in revenue. Clearly you are middle of the pack in the weakest damn P5 conference. But please drone on about Baby Blue clout.

Comment

JRsec,

Is the SEC truly moving to 4 team pods once Oklahoma and Texas joins the conference?

If SEC does decide to do pods how will they end up?

Comment

Originally posted by NJTerp View Post

Your post that followed the quoted one above one was spot on.

Regarding Texas, I am married to an A&M alum, so no love for Texas here. However, there willingness to not be the power center of a conference anymore, is a positive attribute, even if there motive wasn’t altruistic. Maybe there is hope for Texas. Nah, maybe not.

And regarding the post above. Let’s just say Mr. Swofford fit your description of JD Rockefeller’s business philosophy, or tried to, when he killed the old Big East.

One more point. I find it interesting that when Notre Dame (almost fully) joined the ACC, ACC fans seemed to love it. Even some went on about how upstanding Notre Dame was. That tune seems to have changed.
                                                                A couple of quick comments:

1-The blame shouldn't fall on Swofford.....he was just following ESPN's orders

2-When Notre Dame almost joined it scared a lot of us. It would be the Texas experience only in reverse. In Woad's words "the ACC would have whored it's dignity for money". We would have invited an overlord into our midst with no real plan of ever overthrowing it. Notre Dame as a full time member of the ACC would be a disaster without a mechanism to put and keep the Irish "in their place".

Comment

2-When Notre Dame almost joined it scared a lot of us. It would be the Texas experience only in reverse. In Woad's words "the ACC would have whored it's dignity for money". We would have invited an overlord into our midst with no real plan of ever overthrowing it. Notre Dame as a full time member of the ACC would be a disaster without a mechanism to put and keep the Irish "in their place".
                                                                  And that Carolina protectionist thinking is what doomed the ACC. Swofford is part of the hypocrisy. And "whore"? Whore is what you are when you open an non existent African American studies department to keep basketball players eligible (and some football players) and salt it with a few regular students and bill the hours through your bursar (institutional control violation) submit for Federal Aid, and never hold the classes and have professors sign off on the lie.

Carolina arrogance knows no bounds and you guys have been whores for decades. And nothing is more offensive than an uppity whore!

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
                                                                    JRsec,

Is the SEC truly moving to 4 team pods once Oklahoma and Texas joins the conference?

If SEC does decide to do pods how will they end up?
                                                                    If Division-less becomes reality we probably forego pods. If not we have them.

Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas

Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M

Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

Comment

Actually, I really don’t blame Swofford. My point is that the Big Ten’s actions were no worse than the ACC.

But I am more interested in Notre Dame. Yes, I know there is this sense that we should bow down for them as well. But I am not sure why it would have been a problem. “Whored” or not, I thought it would have been a huge boon for the ACC. I don’t see how they could have become overlords anymore than Florida State.

Comment

And that Carolina protectionist thinking is what doomed the ACC. Swofford is part of the hypocrisy. And "whore"? Whore is what you are when you open an non existent African American studies department to keep basketball players eligible (and some football players) and salt it with a few regular students and bill the hours through your bursar (institutional control violation) submit for Federal Aid, and never hold the classes and have professors sign off on the lie.

Carolina arrogance knows no bounds and you guys have been whores for decades. And nothing is more offensive than an uppity whore!
                                                                        Whoa hot rod. You're a real Jen Psaki, good at perpetuating lies. Keep telling the same lie over and over and some idiot will start to think you are telling the truth. I believe it's referred to a gaslighting.
                                                                        You have become a real realignment gaslight master.

Comment

What's funny are the whiny assed Carolina fans who ignore with extreme hypocrisy the corruption within their own athletic department, supported decades of expending resources on hoops instead of the money sport, and who now that their fiefdom is in disarray resorts to calling those with foresight business tyrants and in a major act of projection calls out Texas and Notre Dame for looking out for their self interests when Carolina has never done anything but hose conference mates not named Duke and Virginia.

And of all of the whiny assed Carolina fans you are the most intolerable likely due to over compensation for being an East Tennessee hillbilly. Your personal inadequacies wreak from your posts but they are comedy gold when analyzed. UNC only has value at all because they still carry a market of ~11 million, weakly though the support may be.

In your own conference Carolina Business decisions have you squarely behind FSU, Louisville, Clemson, Miami, and Duke in revenue. Clearly you are middle of the pack in the weakest damn P5 conference. But please drone on about Baby Blue clout.
                                                                          I would like to extend this to all the whiny fans that criticize the SEC for pulling OU and UT, and the always laughable "cheating".

The SEC is the most genuine conference, and only the BIG looks out for the collective good as the SEC. That is how Miss St makes the same as Bama and has a secure future. That makes them a bastion of the actual "collegial" aspect of college football that makes the sport great, which is why it competes with the bigger population/alumni base BIG in revenue. I have to laugh at these schools using "collegial" as a ruse for just not having enough support in a time in which others do. Just how it goes.

And seemingly the only conference prepared to not just putting their head in the sand while the sports landscape mandates changes.

Comment

Whoa hot rod. You're a real Jen Psaki, good at perpetuating lies. Keep telling the same lie over and over and some idiot will start to think you are telling the truth. I believe it's referred to a gaslighting.
                                                                            Accusing other of what you are guilty of? I believe that is referred to as projection.

Your continual denial of what even ACC ADs are publically alluding to makes you a gaslighter.

Not surprising you're a partisan fool

Comment

Looks like a guilty Dog has barked!

Comment

Do you think there is a slight chance for Oklahoma/ Arkansas/ Texas/ Texas A&M..?

That would throw Missouri as an 'outlier' with Kentucky & wreck other pod setups..?
                                                                                What is your thought on Kansas getting bid in B1G or SEC before end of XII GoR..?

Comment

Accusing other of what you are guilty of? I believe that is referred to as projection.

Your continual denial of what even ACC ADs are publically alluding to makes you a gaslighter.

Not surprising you're a partisan fool

Matthew 5:22

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

Comment

Matthew 5:22

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

LOL

So, you don't deny you were projecting?

Comment

The most obvious pod for A&M includes Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, but yeah, it probably won’t happen.

Comment

Originally posted by XOVERX View Post

The most obvious pod for A&M includes Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, but yeah, it probably won’t happen.
                                                                                        That's too strong of a pod. You generally want to have two strong and two weaker teams to even it all up. LSU pairs well with TAMU, while OU and UT MUST be together.

Comment

Do you think there is a slight chance for Oklahoma/ Arkansas/ Texas/ Texas A&M..?

That would throw Missouri as an 'outlier' with Kentucky & wreck other pod setups..?
                                                                                          What is your thought on Kansas getting bid in B1G or SEC before end of XII GoR..?
                                                                                          If MIssouri throws things off too much, you could go Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, and Mizzou, I suppose. It’s just that Arkansas would be a real hatefest, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadeye View Post

That's too strong of a pod. You generally want to have two strong and two weaker teams to even it all up. LSU pairs well with TAMU, while OU and UT MUST be together.
                                                                                            What do you mean? I thought it was common knowledge on this board that Texas would maintain its marshmallow status eternally, especially after joining the SEC?

I guess you’re right, though, what with strength of OU, AR, and AM. However, since there’s no other marshmallow available in the western SEC, I vote throw Texas on the pyre and the Horns will just have to endure the humiliation.

I agree A&M probably prefers LSU and the Mississippi schools (Luicci’s protestations notwithstanding), which, if it happens, might yield marginally more flexible recruiting ground for aggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadeye View Post

Well, with the looming realignment, it there wont be pods for more than a year or two.

A good forerunner to the Big 8/SWC division of the SEC.

Comment

Looks like a guilty Dog has barked!
                                                                                                Liar, liar your pants are on fire.....your nose is longer than a telephone wire

Comment

Liar, liar your pants are on fire.....your nose is longer than a telephone wire

Are you sure you aren't a Georgia fan? Nothing whines and cries like a whipped puppy! You aren't just a guilty dog barking, you're a scalded dog! Hit really close to home I see!

Comment

Are you sure you aren't a Georgia fan? Nothing whines and cries like a whipped puppy! You aren't just a guilty dog barking, you're a scalded dog! Hit really close to home I see!
                                                                                                    This new ACC division in the SEC is sure going to be fun to hate

I like this rearranging by ESPN more and more.

Comment

This new ACC division in the SEC is sure going to be fun to hate

I like this rearranging by ESPN more and more.
                                                                                                      It reminds me of an old Auburn bumper sticker:

Avoid the rush! Hate Bama Early!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1