Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment thread

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by XLance View Post

    Thanks for the consideration JR. While Carolina may be tempted by the SEC, the folks in Durham and Charlottesville would most likely prefer the company others. Like Texas following because of Oklahoma's decision, Carolina would graciously decline the SEC, and move with UVa and Duke in another direction.


    However, since both scenarios are moot, save for a protracted GOR legal battle, until 2036, they certainly are fun to speculate with.
    Oklahoma and Texas did all simultaneously. UNC has reached out to the SEC twice now. But please continue your self aggrandizing. I'll take what I know over what you feel.

    Comment


      Originally posted by hiphopfroggy View Post

      lol. You think I fail to grasp the reality of the ACC's current division failures because of an idea to scrap the current ACC divisions? That is some interesting logic you possess.

      And you are suggesting that Miami, Florida State and Notre Dame don't want to play each other in football?

      And you are suggesting the entire idea and the solvency of the ACC is a no go because UNC and UVA must play each other in football annually?
      In divisional scheduling, the key for a top football team is to be able to win its division fairly often. The key for the league is to be able to have a decent match up in terms of TV value in the Championship most years. If ND, FSU, and Miami were all in the same division, both of those would be threatened. It would never happen.

      Of course, now that we have ended divisions officially, the question would be, if ND were to go full football membership, which 2 or 3 would be its annual rivals?

      Comment


        Originally posted by John Swofford View Post
        The ACC should add WVU and do the 2-6-6 model ( I read this works for 15, I have no idea if that's true).

        Cuse- WVU, Pitt
        BC- Dook, WF
        Pitt- WVU, Cuse

        WVU- Pitt, Cuse
        Lville- Miami, GT
        VT- UVa, NCSU

        UVa- UNC, VT
        UNC- UVa, NCSU
        Dook- WF, BC

        WF- Dook, BC
        Clem- FSU, GT
        GT- Clem, Lville

        FSU- Clem, Miami
        Miami- FSU, Lville
        NCSU- UNC, VT


        This would be the best inventory of quality games the ACC could possibly muster, remain at 8 conference games and keep annual rivalries intact (sorry, Dook vs UNC....wait til hoops).. .
        if you have 15 members, and you want to play 8 league games, 2 + 6 (6) is the model.

        Comment


          Originally posted by WoadBlue View Post

          In divisional scheduling, the key for a top football team is to be able to win its division fairly often. The key for the league is to be able to have a decent match up in terms of TV value in the Championship most years. If ND, FSU, and Miami were all in the same division, both of those would be threatened. It would never happen.

          Of course, now that we have ended divisions officially, the question would be, if ND were to go full football membership, which 2 or 3 would be its annual rivals?
          Bro, Clemson, the biggest ACC team of all was in the other hypothetical division. Who else could those schools possibly want to match up against in the ACC championship game rather than Clemson? Anyone of those schools against Clemson in the ACC title game is the ideal matchup for generating ratings, $$$$ and SoS for the ACC.

          Note the willingness of the ACC to scrap the current divisions and the stated duration of the new experimental scheduling model.

          Comment


            Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

            No they won't. All we are waiting on is a breakaway so hoops can be much more effectively monetized. 2.25 x present earnings and then the added value of brand synergy. The won't increase shares by much but they would be accretive and ESPN can monetize winter spots much more effectively in a breakaway. "The times they are a changin'" Adios NCAA!
            Basketball and baseball both can be fully monetized by changing the NCAA 'rules' for which leagues get auto invites. Both those sports need 64 team tournaments, which mean we need at least 80 schools involved. You are never going to get 80 schools to leave the NCAA.

            Comment


              Originally posted by hiphopfroggy View Post

              Bro, Clemson, the biggest ACC team of all was in the other hypothetical division. Who else could those schools possibly want to match up against in the ACC championship game rather than Clemson? Anyone of those schools against Clemson in the ACC title game is the ideal matchup for generating ratings, $$$$ and SoS for the ACC.

              Note the willingness of the ACC to scrap the current divisions and the stated duration of the new experimental scheduling model.
              You still think like the guy shilling for UConn to be in the ACC a few years ago.

              Why would ND want to slug it out with FSU and Miami each year to be king of a division while Clemson gets an easier ride to the Championship? What would happen in that scenario is that those 4 would be split into pairs, and then the divisions balanced beneath them as much as possible.

              Comment


                Originally posted by WoadBlue View Post

                You still think like the guy shilling for UConn to be in the ACC a few years ago.

                Why would ND want to slug it out with FSU and Miami each year to be king of a division while Clemson gets an easier ride to the Championship? What would happen in that scenario is that those 4 would be split into pairs, and then the divisions balanced beneath them as much as possible.
                Such a strange comment. Am I shilling for UCONN somehow with this hypothetical scenario where ND and WVU join the ACC?







                The other division had Clemson, Louisville, Va Tech, NC State and West Virginia. All true football schools.

                The Notre Dame division had Florida State, Miami......

                The football schools are in the other division. You still thinking like a basketball fan. None of this would affect UNC's basketball schedule.

                Why would ND want that division? Those are the schools Notre Dame historically has chosen to play, while they have chosen not to play the schools in the other division. I'm sure they have their reasons.
                Last edited by hiphopfroggy; 06-28-2022, 05:01 PM.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post
                  This is an improvement for the ACC and I think they do a good job of preserving rivalry games (except WF vs. the rest of the state.) I'd guess the half of the league that never sees FSU and Clemson will appreciate the change.

                  I'd guess that the new Big 12 will embrace something similar in terms of scheduling philosophy. Personally though I think the new Big 12 - after OU and Texas leave - would be better with two six team divisions.

                  Comment


                    XII may be close to hiring a new commissioner (yo.??)
                    ACC on the other hand, I like the new annual ‘rivalries’…

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by WoadBlue View Post

                      Basketball and baseball both can be fully monetized by changing the NCAA 'rules' for which leagues get auto invites. Both those sports need 64 team tournaments, which mean we need at least 80 schools involved. You are never going to get 80 schools to leave the NCAA.
                      Hogwash! The NCAA made 1.1 billion last year on the tourney. They paid out 1/4 of that in tourney creds which are spread out 5 years beyond the present. They have over 1 Billion in 2 endowed accounts, and hold the arrearage, and have the chutzpah to not pay fully on a COVID year. Football is freed except for archaic governance. Duke, UNC, Virginia and Kansas can make conservatively 2.25 times their current hoops revenue if freed from the NCAA. If the ACC isn't raided, merged or rearranged you would make up some gap by being smart enough to ditch the NCAA.

                      Comment


                        We will not be joining the ACC in full. In 2036 we may have to join a conference but it will not be the ACC.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by kopp0e View Post
                          XII may be close to hiring a new commissioner (yo.??)
                          ACC on the other hand, I like the new annual ‘rivalries’…

                          I actually agree with both the Dude (Bucky) and Flug.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by goldendomer View Post
                            We will not be joining the ACC in full. In 2036 we may have to join a conference but it will not be the ACC.
                            That's good news!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

                              Hogwash! The NCAA made 1.1 billion last year on the tourney. They paid out 1/4 of that in tourney creds which are spread out 5 years beyond the present. They have over 1 Billion in 2 endowed accounts, and hold the arrearage, and have the chutzpah to not pay fully on a COVID year. Football is freed except for archaic governance. Duke, UNC, Virginia and Kansas can make conservatively 2.25 times their current hoops revenue if freed from the NCAA. If the ACC isn't raided, merged or rearranged you would make up some gap by being smart enough to ditch the NCAA.
                              That cannot happen if there are only 40 or even 50 schools total in the break away new organization. Basketball and baseball require more than that.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by ElectricSooner View Post

                                I actually agree with both the Dude (Bucky) and Flug.
                                Yeah, t's risky.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by kopp0e View Post
                                  XII may be close to hiring a new commissioner (yo.??)
                                  ACC on the other hand, I like the new annual ‘rivalries’…

                                  I would have made a few changes, such as I think that FSU should play GT annually because of proximity and the fact that FSU has more alums in the Atlanta TV market than in any TV market outside FL. But overall it works.

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by WoadBlue View Post

                                    That cannot happen if there are only 40 or even 50 schools total in the break away new organization. Basketball and baseball require more than that.
                                    P schools plus the Big East, G5 and MWC schools. G5 football plays in their own division. You'll have plenty of schools for hoops if we aren't splitting football revenue.

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by XLance View Post

                                      That's good news!
                                      It would be rather funny seeing Notre Dame get subsumed by a conference that is defined by large - or gargantuan - state flagships and/or land grants. The idiot ND football boosters have no idea how academic politics work in athkletic conferences, which means they have no idea how an already resented small private school would easy to isolate in conference politics and then be left out to dry.,

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by ElectricSooner View Post

                                        I actually agree with both the Dude (Bucky) and Flug.
                                        You miss the point This is what conferences do when they need to make major changes. Hire a guy from an outside industry and he can come in without concern for friendships and old allegiances and ties, crack he eggs which need to be broken and make the changes that people from the system can't make because of lifetime relationships, particularly ones within the NCAA and specifically those among AD's, pesidents, and coaches below the P conference pay grade. He'll pick up experience, add to his resume', and pick up a fat check to do what nobody in the system could do. He's a hired gun plain and simple, just like Kliavkoff who I think is solid.

                                        What imbeciles like Fluguar and the Dude don't realize is that these moves are like a flare being shot into the air on a dark night. When you see them things that were are in trouble and change is coming, and soon.

                                        I see them as a harbinger of the demise of the NCAA, which is facing at least 3 more player backed lawsuits.

                                        I couldn't figure out Phillips at first but he's been a Big 10 understudy and is still outside the ACC system. Warren and the BIg Ten made a push to save the NCAA, maybe because it's in Indianapolis. They are about to lose on that one and big time. It'll be a great excuse for Gene Smith and other Big 10 AD's with sense to get a better commish when they join the breakaway.

                                        Current presidents and AD's will avoid the pain of taking the P5 lifeboats when the NCAA goes down hard by the bow and sucks the smaller schools under with them. They'll claim they didn't see it coming and were happy to escape.

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

                                          P schools plus the Big East, G5 and MWC schools. G5 football plays in their own division. You'll have plenty of schools for hoops if we aren't splitting football revenue.
                                          So you think that while we are seeing the SEC match and then top historic BT super greed to the detriment of all others, and while ESPn certainly and perhaps Fox are willing to fund massive destruction in the name of build back better, for the good of all, that at least 50 schools outside the SEC and BT are going to trust the SEC and ESPN to do right for college sports?

                                          When you stop working for ESPN, Klaus Schwab might pay you very well.

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by hiphopfroggy View Post

                                            Such a strange comment. Am I shilling for UCONN somehow with this hypothetical scenario where ND and WVU join the ACC?







                                            The other division had Clemson, Louisville, Va Tech, NC State and West Virginia. All true football schools.

                                            The Notre Dame division had Florida State, Miami......

                                            The football schools are in the other division. You still thinking like a basketball fan. None of this would affect UNC's basketball schedule.

                                            Why would ND want that division? Those are the schools Notre Dame historically has chosen to play, while they have chosen not to play the schools in the other division. I'm sure they have their reasons.
                                            To shill for UConn football, you have to be a Die Hard Homer or dumb as a post or just plain crazy.

                                            If the 3 biggest football names nationally are in the same division, the league has major imbalance. Major imbalance between divisions was central to all the later Big XII drama due to resentments. Nebraska in the North was not enough to prevent those problems. Nor was the rise on the field of K-St. The North simply was seen nationally as dull, unsexy. An ACC football division with ND and both FL schools would have a national sexy factor well beyond that of the old Big XII South.

                                            Louisville as a 'football school' is rather funny, in an insane kind of way. NCSU as a 'football school' is less funny/insane only because the Aggies/Farmers/Wuffies have won 7 ACC Championships, the last in 1980. I assume you do not know that UNC holds a 30 game lead in the football series with mighty football school MooU of Raleigh.

                                            Comment


                                              Originally posted by ElectricSooner View Post

                                              I actually agree with both the Dude (Bucky) and Flug.
                                              Nah, for the Big 12 the riskier hire today would be sticking with the old school athletic director route as a commissioner. Times have changed, and the Big 12 should have realized that before hiring Bowlsby. He certainly didn't get it.

                                              This guy was CEO for the New Jersey / Brooklyn Nets. One of his roles at Roc Nation was overseeing sponsorship, licensing, content partnership, and brand strategy. Unless your conference is several rungs up on the ladder, you need somebody that is more in tune with being able to sell and market your conference and delegate the role of policing horns down and fans rushing the field penalties to someone else.

                                              Comment


                                                Originally posted by WoadBlue View Post

                                                So you think that while we are seeing the SEC match and then top historic BT super greed to the detriment of all others, and while ESPn certainly and perhaps Fox are willing to fund massive destruction in the name of build back better, for the good of all, that at least 50 schools outside the SEC and BT are going to trust the SEC and ESPN to do right for college sports?

                                                When you stop working for ESPN, Klaus Schwab might pay you very well.
                                                Mutual self-interest is American business, and most global business as well. The Supreme Court just said "Nyet" to amateurism. Get on board. There is no other alternative except to perish. And a major U without athletics to put its name and screen shots of its campus on the tube will perish in the near future which will see massive drawbacks in higher ed including a downsizing which will close or retool many non-flagship level schools. It is simply reality Woad and it is demographic in nature and linked to the passing of Boomers which will statistically become irrelevant around 2036. And it is global in scope.

                                                Comment


                                                  Originally posted by WoadBlue View Post

                                                  To shill for UConn football, you have to be a Die Hard Homer or dumb as a post or just plain crazy.

                                                  If the 3 biggest football names nationally are in the same division, the league has major imbalance. Major imbalance between divisions was central to all the later Big XII drama due to resentments. Nebraska in the North was not enough to prevent those problems. Nor was the rise on the field of K-St. The North simply was seen nationally as dull, unsexy. An ACC football division with ND and both FL schools would have a national sexy factor well beyond that of the old Big XII South.

                                                  Louisville as a 'football school' is rather funny, in an insane kind of way. NCSU as a 'football school' is less funny/insane only because the Aggies/Farmers/Wuffies have won 7 ACC Championships, the last in 1980. I assume you do not know that UNC holds a 30 game lead in the football series with mighty football school MooU of Raleigh.
                                                  NC State last won the ACC in 79 and UNC in 80.

                                                  NCSU has more ACC football championships than UNC.

                                                  NCSU holds a 13-9 record vs UNC this century.

                                                  UNC has a 5 game advantage over NCSU since the ACC was formed in 1953.

                                                  That said...neither program is what most people consider a "football school."

                                                  Comment


                                                    Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

                                                    P schools plus the Big East, G5 and MWC schools. G5 football plays in their own division. You'll have plenty of schools for hoops if we aren't splitting football revenue.
                                                    So you envision a small breakaway in football (approx 40 schools) and a more inclusive breakaway for hoops (approx 130-140 schools)?

                                                    Comment


                                                      Originally posted by camel at sea View Post

                                                      So you envision a small breakaway in football (approx 40 schools) and a more inclusive breakaway for hoops (approx 130-140 schools)?
                                                      https://www.foxnews.com/sports/heres...k-like-in-2026


                                                      "But those assumptions don't account for major philosophical shifts already taking place both within college athletics, where some administrators already rue various consequences of 14-team conferences (scheduling difficulties, bloated travel costs), and in the softening television rights marketplace. If anything, I expect the next big movement to be contraction, not expansion.

                                                      More accurately, call it a consolidation of power.

                                                      If anything, I expect the next big movement to be contraction, not expansion. More accurately, call it a consolidation of power."

                                                      Sound familiar?

                                                      Comment


                                                        Originally posted by XLance View Post

                                                        https://www.foxnews.com/sports/heres...k-like-in-2026


                                                        "But those assumptions don't account for major philosophical shifts already taking place both within college athletics, where some administrators already rue various consequences of 14-team conferences (scheduling difficulties, bloated travel costs), and in the softening television rights marketplace. If anything, I expect the next big movement to be contraction, not expansion.

                                                        More accurately, call it a consolidation of power.

                                                        If anything, I expect the next big movement to be contraction, not expansion. More accurately, call it a consolidation of power."

                                                        Sound familiar?

                                                        Consolidating power is one thing. It's just an issue of how to get from point A to point B. You don't want to kill the things people like about college athletics (and your own ability to monetize those things) while grabbing power away from your coattail riders.

                                                        Comment


                                                          Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

                                                          Mutual self-interest is American business, and most global business as well. The Supreme Court just said "Nyet" to amateurism. Get on board. There is no other alternative except to perish. And a major U without athletics to put its name and screen shots of its campus on the tube will perish in the near future which will see massive drawbacks in higher ed including a downsizing which will close or retool many non-flagship level schools. It is simply reality Woad and it is demographic in nature and linked to the passing of Boomers which will statistically become irrelevant around 2036. And it is global in scope.
                                                          Naw it's not higher education that will suffer, but college football. People will still have a thirst for knowledge even if it is not attached to cheering on some redneck sports team, which is currently a dangerous trend for the sport.

                                                          Comment


                                                            Originally posted by WoadBlue View Post

                                                            To shill for UConn football, you have to be a Die Hard Homer or dumb as a post or just plain crazy.

                                                            If the 3 biggest football names nationally are in the same division, the league has major imbalance. Major imbalance between divisions was central to all the later Big XII drama due to resentments. Nebraska in the North was not enough to prevent those problems. Nor was the rise on the field of K-St. The North simply was seen nationally as dull, unsexy. An ACC football division with ND and both FL schools would have a national sexy factor well beyond that of the old Big XII South.

                                                            Louisville as a 'football school' is rather funny, in an insane kind of way. NCSU as a 'football school' is less funny/insane only because the Aggies/Farmers/Wuffies have won 7 ACC Championships, the last in 1980. I assume you do not know that UNC holds a 30 game lead in the football series with mighty football school MooU of Raleigh.
                                                            So you would tell Notre Dame, no thanks, enjoy the B1G?

                                                            Hopefully those running the ACC don't feel that way and are willing to do whatever it takes to land Notre Dame.

                                                            Comment


                                                              NC earmarks $15M to put ACC headquarters in Charlotte

                                                              North Carolina would give the Atlantic Coast Conference $15 million if it keeps its headquarters in North Carolina, likely in a move to Charlotte, for at least the next 15 years and stages a number of postseason events in the state over the next decade under a Republican budget proposal released Tuesday night.

                                                              "We just want to make sure that we keep it here," Saine told WRAL News. "You grow up in the state, one, it's sentimental, but two, from an economic development standpoint from what we attract as far as future tournaments and where they're going to be played, if they're headquartered in this state, we're far better off. Hate to get competing between two cities, but the reality is some cities have more of what they need right now."

                                                              To qualify for the $15 million from the state Department of Commerce, the league would have to remain in the state for 15 years, hold an additional four men's basketball tournaments in the state (including two in Greensboro), an additional four women's basketball tournaments in the state, an additional four baseball postseason tournaments and 20 other postseason tournaments by 2034. Those events are in addition to those already scheduled for North Carolina.

                                                              The ACC will host at least 17 postseason conference championship events in the state during the 2022-23 school year, including the men's basketball tournament in Greensboro.

                                                              https://www.wralsportsfan.com/nc-ear...otte/20352090/

                                                              It sure seems like folks in North Carolina enjoy having the ACC headquartered there.

                                                              They seem willing to move mountains, heaven, and earth to keep it there......

                                                              Comment


                                                                Originally posted by camel at sea View Post

                                                                So you envision a small breakaway in football (approx 40 schools) and a more inclusive breakaway for hoops (approx 130-140 schools)?
                                                                Around 72 in a consolidated breakaway for football. There are about 72 schools which either generate enough revenue to be competitive or have low enough subsidies and are located in growing markets so as to be able to make the transition. Add the top 30 hoops only programs and you have it.

                                                                Comment


                                                                  Originally posted by hiphopfroggy View Post

                                                                  Naw it's not higher education that will suffer, but college football. People will still have a thirst for knowledge even if it is not attached to cheering on some redneck sports team, which is currently a dangerous trend for the sport.
                                                                  Did my postgraduate at Emory. Where did you get your postgrad work done clodhopper?

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

                                                                    Around 72 in a consolidated breakaway for football. There are about 72 schools which either generate enough revenue to be competitive or have low enough subsidies and are located in growing markets so as to be able to make the transition. Add the top 30 hoops only programs and you have it.
                                                                    That should be enough. It'll keep the fans of the lower tier P5 schools engaged when their rivalries with Big State U remain intact for the most part. Not everything can be preserved, but keeping as many as possible is necessary IMHO. Though, the vast majority of the G5 can be kicked to the curb without any impact.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

                                                                      Did my postgraduate at Emory. Where did you get your postgrad work done clodhopper?
                                                                      lol wut?

                                                                      Am I supposed to be impressed with Auburn and Emory?

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        Originally posted by hiphopfroggy View Post

                                                                        lol wut?

                                                                        Am I supposed to be impressed with Auburn and Emory?

                                                                        Well that depends on how seriously you take rankings. You boast so much about TCU it must bug you. I mean it's hardly UT or A&M. Heck its hardly better than N.Texas.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

                                                                          Well that depends on how seriously you take rankings. You boast so much about TCU it must bug you. I mean it's hardly UT or A&M. Heck its hardly better than N.Texas.
                                                                          Well, my surgeon at KU Med was educated at Emory. So far, I am impressed.
                                                                          Last edited by EdwordL; 06-30-2022, 02:28 PM.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            Originally posted by EdwordL View Post

                                                                            Well, my surgeion at KU Med was educated at Emory. So far, I am impressed.
                                                                            Most Emerhoids are pretty sharp. I'd hardly call it a Southern school. There are a lot of Northeasterners there. It's more like overflow for Duke. The Medical school is first rate.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post

                                                                              That should be enough. It'll keep the fans of the lower tier P5 schools engaged when their rivalries with Big State U remain intact for the most part. Not everything can be preserved, but keeping as many as possible is necessary IMHO. Though, the vast majority of the G5 can be kicked to the curb without any impact.
                                                                              The G-5 will combine with the best FCS programs like NDSU, Montana, etc to form a division of schools who are not paying players millions. Honestly I will probably watch more of that as it will be stable.

                                                                              This new professional college league, USFL, FCF, and XFL are going to offer kids so many options to make $ it's mind boggling. D-2 and FCS are going to look like Junior varsity teams by the time all the talent moves into these pro leagues.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  Originally posted by JRsec* View Post

                                                                                  Most Emerhoids are pretty sharp. I'd hardly call it a Southern school. There are a lot of Northeasterners there. It's more like overflow for Duke. The Medical school is first rate.
                                                                                  Apparently, he is the only one at KU Med who can treat what I had; otherwise, I'd have had to go to Mayo Clinic, which is, of course, out-of-network.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    Originally posted by camel at sea View Post
                                                                                    Just saw this posted on the Phog. Other posters wondered if the California BOR could stop it, since UCLA is public: A poster named Squib1 says he has a source on the Rose Bowl committee who says this is a done deal and that the BOR won't stop it. If the BOR does not intervene, could that mean Cal and others may join? Stanford is private.

                                                                                    That same poster included a tweet that Colorado and Kansas are rumored to be moving also in 2024. No idea who the tweeter is hearing that from.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      Originally posted by EdwordL View Post

                                                                                      Just saw this posted on the Phog. Other posters wondered if the California BOR could stop it, since UCLA is public: A poster named Squib1 says he has a source on the Rose Bowl committee who says this is a done deal and that the BOR won't stop it. If the BOR does not intervene, could that mean Cal and others may join? Stanford is private.

                                                                                      That same poster included a tweet that Colorado and Kansas are rumored to be moving also in 2024. No idea who the tweeter is hearing that from.
                                                                                      Think it's more likely Stanford/Cal deemphasize athletics. They don't need the money.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        Originally posted by EdwordL View Post

                                                                                        Just saw this posted on the Phog. Other posters wondered if the California BOR could stop it, since UCLA is public: A poster named Squib1 says he has a source on the Rose Bowl committee who says this is a done deal and that the BOR won't stop it. If the BOR does not intervene, could that mean Cal and others may join? Stanford is private.

                                                                                        That same poster included a tweet that Colorado and Kansas are rumored to be moving also in 2024. No idea who the tweeter is hearing that from.
                                                                                        I think there will be some "raid the Big 12" talk from PAC people... but nobody on the Big 12 side is likely to bite on that unless or until Oregon/Washington are locked in for a long while. My guess is that UDub will now try to get its legislature to untether it from WSU (and they'll probably succeed.) Then the Huskies and Ducks join the Big Ten, too. KU and Colorado to get to 20 works. Or maybe if necessary, KU and Colorado to get to 18 would work, too, as that would put more pressure on Oregon and Washington.

                                                                                        If the Big 12 comes out only losing KU, then they recover by adding Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah (if not others, too) and sit back waiting for the eventually ACC bloodbath in 10 years.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          Originally posted by Val on the Getner View Post

                                                                                          Think it's more likely Stanford/Cal deemphasize athletics. They don't need the money.
                                                                                          Cal system schools + Stanford would be a good start for creating a West Coast Ivy in athletics.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            Originally posted by EdwordL View Post

                                                                                            Apparently, he is the only one at KU Med who can treat what I had; otherwise, I'd have had to go to Mayo Clinic, which is, of course, out-of-network.
                                                                                            Prayers for your healing.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              Originally posted by EdwordL View Post

                                                                                              Just saw this posted on the Phog. Other posters wondered if the California BOR could stop it, since UCLA is public: A poster named Squib1 says he has a source on the Rose Bowl committee who says this is a done deal and that the BOR won't stop it. If the BOR does not intervene, could that mean Cal and others may join? Stanford is private.

                                                                                              That same poster included a tweet that Colorado and Kansas are rumored to be moving also in 2024. No idea who the tweeter is hearing that from.
                                                                                              It is reality. Where are all of my detractors saying a P2 or P3 (which may still be more likely) and a PAC/B1G, SEC/B12/ACC is nuts? It just goes to show that you can tell people the truth, explain why it will happen, and until a news service announces it they only believe talking heads. So few think for themselves anymore, let alone bother to check the details.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                Originally posted by camel at sea View Post

                                                                                                I think there will be some "raid the Big 12" talk from PAC people... but nobody on the Big 12 side is likely to bite on that unless or until Oregon/Washington are locked in for a long while. My guess is that UDub will now try to get its legislature to untether it from WSU (and they'll probably succeed.) Then the Huskies and Ducks join the Big Ten, too. KU and Colorado to get to 20 works. Or maybe if necessary, KU and Colorado to get to 18 would work, too, as that would put more pressure on Oregon and Washington.

                                                                                                If the Big 12 comes out only losing KU, then they recover by adding Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah (if not others, too) and sit back waiting for the eventually ACC bloodbath in 10 years.
                                                                                                I am going to be shocked if CU is part of this as they will have hit the lottery. They bring little on TV/athletically and there are probably at least 4-5 schools who bring more upside to the B1G. Their best days were 20+ years ago.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  Originally posted by FoCoSooner View Post

                                                                                                  I am going to be shocked if CU is part of this as they will have hit the lottery. They bring little on TV/athletically and there are probably at least 4-5 schools who bring more upside to the B1G. Their best days were 20+ years ago.
                                                                                                  There aren't a lot of great poaching options in the PAC after you get past the Top 4. So yeah... the Big Ten could stop at 18. But CU has good "land bridge" geography, good academics, a good market, a rivalry game with NU that usually does well on TV, and at least they have some history of being good in football - even if those days are behind them. I think they'd probably benefit a lot if we saw a significant collapse of the PAC. A lot of recruiting competition out west would die and they'd reap the benefits.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    Originally posted by camel at sea View Post

                                                                                                    I think there will be some "raid the Big 12" talk from PAC people... but nobody on the Big 12 side is likely to bite on that unless or until Oregon/Washington are locked in for a long while. My guess is that UDub will now try to get its legislature to untether it from WSU (and they'll probably succeed.) Then the Huskies and Ducks join the Big Ten, too. KU and Colorado to get to 20 works. Or maybe if necessary, KU and Colorado to get to 18 would work, too, as that would put more pressure on Oregon and Washington.

                                                                                                    If the Big 12 comes out only losing KU, then they recover by adding Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah (if not others, too) and sit back waiting for the eventually ACC bloodbath in 10 years.
                                                                                                    Or then again, perhaps the XII and the remnants of the PAC merge into the PAXII and koppe has a stoke.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                      Originally posted by camel at sea View Post

                                                                                                      There aren't a lot of great poaching options in the PAC after you get past the Top 4. So yeah... the Big Ten could stop at 18. But CU has good "land bridge" geography, good academics, a good market, a rivalry game with NU that usually does well on TV, and at least they have some history of being good in football - even if those days are behind them. I think they'd probably benefit a lot if we saw a significant collapse of the PAC. A lot of recruiting competition out west would die and they'd reap the benefits.
                                                                                                      Yea even Washington and UCAL are horrible on TV. There are really only 2 valuable schools for a TV contract. UCLA literally had to give away tickets to the OU game things are so bad. They lucked out if true.

                                                                                                      So 16 is USC and UCLA
                                                                                                      18 gets you Washington and Oregon
                                                                                                      20 gets you KU and that is where CU might get lucky in that last spot.

                                                                                                      CU will never be "back". Boulder is just different, they are never going to be a NIL destination, throw 8+ million at a coach, pay for good assistants, etc... Colorado is a pro sports state.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                                                                                      Collapse

                                                                                                      Go To Top

                                                                                                      Collapse

                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1