First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Val on the Getner View Post
    On a board of nothing but stupid arguments, this is possibly the stupidest. Don’t think the phrase is “it’s not about the Xs and Os, it’s about the Okies”
    I think the general consensus is NOT saying that... but ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

Bama's QB from Hawaii wasn't a MARGINAL TALENT. I really have no problem with OU going national for top players (except Fresno LOL). But when it comes to "random 3 star guy" after all the top national talent is no longer available................. I feel differently.
      In those cases I would rather build relationships in a Mater Dei or IMG or Aquinas, or even just a region that produces a ton of talent, than go into a school that won’t produce another FBS player for a decade. Not to the point of totally excluding 3* local talent, who can probably be had for much less recruiting effort, but it’s good to get our name out there where they grow monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

Isn't that more of a problem with talent evaluation?

Another problem we had under Stoops was a coaching staff who did not always work as hard as they needed when recruiting....
        Some felt they took the in state kids for granted.
        I feel pretty certain that both issues have been corrected under Riley.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

In those cases I would rather build relationships in a Mater Dei or IMG or Aquinas, or even just a region that produces a ton of talent, than go into a school that won’t produce another FBS player for a decade. Not to the point of totally excluding 3* local talent, who can probably be had for much less recruiting effort, but it’s good to get our name out there where they grow monsters.
          That is a solid tactic. However there are a couple of things about the "monster growing" programs.

1) It's still hard to beat out the other blue bloods for any really good player from those programs. Gonna come in second a lot.
          2) Many times those guys are overrated because of where they are from
          3) Many times those guys are already closer to their ceiling due to how good the programs are. 3 star guys are almost always going to be closer to maxed out coming from those places.

I think an excellent example in the last recruiting class is that we took only one LB. We took the kid from Cali (Perkins) and passed on the local kid (Marcheselli). Both 3 star guys. Cali kid is slightly higher rated (247) but talking #600 overall compared to #700 overall. Local kid signs with TCU,

It will be interesting to watch their careers.

The only kids in last years class that we took that were rated lower than Perkins on 247. Derek Green (NC kid who's already gone because "OU wasn't what it was cracked up to be") and DeArman who was an afterthought. However he is from DFW which is one of our major areas of recruting.

Comment

OU should not be passing on any LB. I would prefer they not recruit another WR for two recruiting cycles and apply the shotgun approach with LB's and bring in any and all they can until one sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by Philo Beddoe View Post
              OU should not be passing on any LB. I would prefer they not recruit another WR for two recruiting cycles and apply the shotgun approach with LB's and bring in any and all they can until one sticks.
              Agree with this 100%. And since we have about 8 gazillion wideouts that brings up another recruiting issue. We didn't take the in state kid (Houston) because we got all those 5 star guys. So you watch. Next year Oklahoma HS will produce a generational talent at wideout and nobody better than an FCS linebacker.

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post

The last time OU won a national title the OU’s roster was about 64 % Okie.
                There is something about human psychology and their emotions that a lot of people have closed minds about that I can’t find the right words to explain... but it’s still real...
                In general the more it’s a personal issue, the harder people fight for it. Finding the right blend of players at OU has been like an art.
                I do like the odds of Lincoln Riley finely breaking what has been a trend at OU.
                This is basically superstition.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyOneBubbaMoses View Post

LOL^ Since when has human psychology and human emotions been "superstition" LOL
                  Human history show s that its not.

Comment

LOL^ Since when has human psychology and human emotions been "superstition" LOL
                    Human history show s that its not.
                    Post less, you are just embarrassing yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TulsaSooner View Post

You shouldn't throw stones when you live in a house made of glass

Comment

Originally posted by TulsaSooner View Post

So you’re saying the fundamentals of basic human nature are to be ignored...

when they have existed since the recorded history on mankind.

Comment

Mike Stoops guy...

Comment

These dudes never learned the story about the Hessians in their history books did they. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by boomersooner52 View Post

You shouldn't throw stones when you live in a house made of glass
                              Or, inversely, don't blindly throw glass (while barefoot), in a house made of stone, (without electricity), as you could cross a path that cuts you to the bone...

Comment

what happened !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

Or, inversely, don't blindly throw glass (while barefoot), in a house made of stone, (without electricity), as you could cross a path that cuts you to the bone...
                                  Didn't even have to look over at the username to know that was posted by kopp0e. If it looks like it was Google translated to English from another language, that's who it is.

Comment

It honestly doesn’t matter where you get the recruits from as long as the culture is good. Do you think Alabama and Clemson care? Furthermore, do you think Clemson would rather have Sam Hartman (3 star in state QB) or Trevor Lawrence (5 star out of state QB). In fact, the 2nd ranked class Ohio State that year had 5 guys from Ohio and 21 from out of state. The only team that can recruit solely based on instate talent is Georgia. The fightin’ okie myth is one I’ll never get because talent matters. I’d rather have Joe Mixon at 80% than any other running back that year from Oklahoma (4 star Devon Thomas and 3 star Mike Warren).

Comment

Originally posted by Silentsniper1516 View Post

It honestly doesn’t matter where you get the recruits from as long as the culture is good. Do you think Alabama and Clemson care? Furthermore, do you think Clemson would rather have Sam Hartman (3 star in state QB) or Trevor Lawrence (5 star out of state QB). In fact, the 2nd ranked class Ohio State that year had 5 guys from Ohio and 21 from out of state. The only team that can recruit solely based on instate talent is Georgia. The fightin’ okie myth is one I’ll never get because talent matters. I’d rather have Joe Mixon at 80% than any other running back that year from Oklahoma (4 star Devon Thomas and 3 star Mike Warren).
                                      Do you really think OU has ever been able to recruit like Alabama and Clemson even when OU was cheating our asses off OU could not....OU has never had the ability to recruit like those 2 programs are right now.

Most of our best reciting class have ended up in disappointment.... some significantly so... and they all had some of the lowest numbers of Okies on their rosters. Those are just facts of our history...like it or not
                                      Last edited by OU48A; 05-19-2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

These dudes never learned the story about the Hessians in their history books did they. LOL.
                                        ^Very true... I was told about them in 4th grade.

As you know the Hessians were hired mercenaries....When things get tough and they have an easy way out they have a tendency to quit.....When a players NFL dreams are smashed and they don’t have a lot left to play for they very often stop giving as much effort. Often a close by network of family, friends and the home town folks has helped keep many players more engaged in giving effort. and on pace to earn a degree.

The well-known talk Jordan Evans dad gave his son stands as a prime example for improved effort
                                        Last edited by OU48A; 05-20-2019, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Thinking a governmental boundary somehow defines genetic superiority is; I don't know.

Dont want to use the words I am thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post
                                            Thinking a governmental boundary somehow defines genetic superiority is; I don't know.

Dont want to use the words I am thinking.
                                            If you have a roster full of future all pro’s which OU has never had then it doesn’t matter as much..... but this discussion isn’t about genetic factors near as much as it’s about human motivation and it’s emotions.....which have been important ingredients in each of OU’s national titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post

Didn't even have to look over at the username to know that was posted by kopp0e. If it looks like it was Google translated to English from another language, that's who it is.
                                              Well, I am glad to be your hero.?!

You would veddy much be correctly in thinking dat my friend..! (sorry, my "ole english translator function has malt liquor spilled on the keyboard)...
                                              But I must not let the cpu run out of power in my bunker in northwest Afrusiastan; As my hampster needs food.. Wut, were we talking about again here..?

If you have a roster full of future all pro’s which OU has never had then it doesn’t matter as much..... but this discussion isn’t about genetic factors near as much as it’s about human motivation and it’s emotions.....which have been important ingredients in each of OU’s national titles.
                                              Oklahoma is successful in being able to entice local athletes to play against local rivals, against former classmates & friends... #RegionalRivalriesMatter

Comment

(except Fresno LOL).
                                                You too huh?

Comment

Do you really think OU has ever been able to recruit like Alabama and Clemson even when OU was cheating our asses off OU could not....OU has never had the ability to recruit like those 2 programs are right now.

Most of our best reciting class have ended up in disappointment.... some significantly so... and they all had some of the lowest numbers of Okies on their rosters. Those are just facts of our history...like it or not
                                                  In modern football, (BCS era) this is true. When everyone was cheating, not so much. OU had some unreal classes back in the day. But, I agree, since 2000 OU has done more with less talent than any of the big boys. But....this conference sucks so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyOneBubbaMoses View Post

Even Stevie can see that...

Comment

In modern football, (BCS era) this is true. When everyone was cheating, not so much. OU had some unreal classes back in the day. But, I agree, since 2000 OU has done more with less talent than any of the big boys. But....this conference sucks so there's that.
                                                      The 1975 OU recruiting class is widely regarded by most to be the best OU class in its history....They were very good but even they did not win a national title...It was a roaster full of Texans.

And yes this conference sucks...It would probably help if we left the Big 12

Comment

The 1975 OU recruiting class is widely regarded by most to be the best OU class in its history....They were very good but even they did not win a national title...It was a roaster full of Texans.

And yes this conference sucks...It would probably help if we left the Big 12
                                                        Or would it hurt? If we join the SEC we still won't pull players from the south. We'll still be tied to Texas and this region which is hit and miss at best.

Comment

Or would it hurt? If we join the SEC we still won't pull players from the south. We'll still be tied to Texas and this region which is hit and miss at best.
                                                          Beside the players with pre existing connections to OU we haven't really recruited the old SEC footprint very well
                                                          My preferences is the B1G for OU...Our state, Texas and nearby recruiting base isn't going anywhere and we may open up new recruiting areas back east and up north who seem like they are more willing to leave their ares that the SEC players

Comment

Unpopular Opinion: Why move from the B12? We own the B12 and it hasn't hindered us from reaching the CFP. Any added benefits we would get from moving conferences are purely speculative. The B10 would be more competition and most likely less shots at the CFP.

Comment

Originally posted by OUVarsityXV View Post
                                                              Unpopular Opinion: Why move from the B12? We own the B12 and it hasn't hindered us from reaching the CFP. Any added benefits we would get from moving conferences are purely speculative. The B10 would be more competition and most likely less shots at the CFP.
                                                              ----Bingo----The best way to the playoffs is via the Big 12

Comment

It's going to be harder now that Texas is back.

Comment

Originally posted by imarockstar View Post
                                                                  what Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox happened !!!!

Comment

What the hell were we talking about???

Comment

Originally posted by Comanche View Post
                                                                      What the hell were we talking about???
                                                                      K'Jakrye only passed the eye test.

Comment

Beside the players with pre existing connections to OU we haven't really recruited the old SEC footprint very well
                                                                        My preferences is the B1G for OU...Our state, Texas and nearby recruiting base isn't going anywhere and we may open up new recruiting areas back east and up north who seem like they are more willing to leave their ares that the SEC players
                                                                        Oklahoma gained like 2 recruits from the eleven state footprint of B1G/ Oklahoma gains recruits from southwest & southeast regions... #SEC-Or-PX6-merger...

Comment

Oklahoma gained like 2 recruits from the eleven state footprint of B1G/ Oklahoma gains recruits from southwest & southeast regions... #SEC-Or-PX6-merger...
                                                                          We did that with low levels of exposure in that area.....
                                                                          Make OU a much better university and it improves our ability to recruit in all ways from nearly everywhere but the deep south.

Comment

We did that with low levels of exposure in that area.....
                                                                            Make OU a much better university and it improves our ability to recruit in all ways from nearly everywhere but the deep south.
                                                                            Your post is very vague, are you referring to recruiting football athletes, (the prime brand of Oklahoma athletics) or something else..?
                                                                            If referring to academics, PAC schools (at the top end) rate higher than B1G, and have ties to Silicon Valley & Hollywood, helps Soner State economy...
                                                                            Oklahoma has built up decades-long recruiting ties in Texas/ Kansas/ California/ Arkansas/ Colorado/ Arizona/ Florida, not so much in Pennsylvania & Ohio...

Comment

Your post is very vague, are you referring to recruiting football athletes, (the prime brand of Oklahoma athletics) or something else..?
                                                                              If referring to academics, PAC schools (at the top end) rate higher than B1G, and have ties to Silicon Valley & Hollywood, helps Soner State economy...
                                                                              Oklahoma has built up decades-long recruiting ties in Texas/ Kansas/ California/ Arkansas/ Colorado/ Arizona/ Florida, not so much in Pennsylvania & Ohio...
                                                                              We need to recruit / hire for everything at OU.
                                                                              Large amounts of Oklahoma were settled by people who came from north and east of our state.
                                                                              A large % of OU’s facility has always come from those same directions too.

Comment

We need to recruit / hire for everything at OU.
                                                                                Large amounts of Oklahoma were settled by people who came from north and east of our state.
                                                                                A large % of OU’s facility has always come from those same directions too.

Oklahoma (& Kansas/ Texas) could wind up just raiding PAC brands & add Rice, an elite AAU school in Houston, plus the majority of elite AAU brands out west...

Comment

Originally posted by imarockstar View Post

What REALLY HAPPENEDDDDDD ??????

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                  X
                                                                                  UA-124223861-1