Announcement

Collapse

NEW POSTERS

POST REQUIREMENTS TO START A THREAD HAVE BEEN REMOVED TO ALLOW OUR TIGER GUESTS TO START THREADS. PLEASE KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR SPAMMERS.

See more
See less

This Briles article is insane

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Briles article is insane

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ing-art-briles

Long article but there are SO MANY problems with it. I didn't think I could be more surprised at peoples' reactions to him but I was wrong.

tl;dr version:

1) Briles was remorseful in his interviews
    2) We're not sure why because he didn't do nothin' wrong
    3) We gonna win state - GO TIGERS!

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ing-art-briles

Long article but there are SO MANY problems with it. I didn't think I could be more surprised at peoples' reactions to him but I was wrong.

tl;dr version:

1) Briles was remorseful in his interviews
    2) We're not sure why because he didn't do nothin' wrong
    3) We gonna win state - GO TIGERS!
    At least that piece of shit is out of college football, for now.

Comment

I know we can blame Briles for a lot of what happened during his time at Baylor but just like in the Penn State ordeal the problem went higher than the head coach. In both cases the entire administration should have been taken down.

Comment

Originally posted by echo101 View Post
        I know we can blame Briles for a lot of what happened during his time at Baylor but just like in the Penn State ordeal the problem went higher than the head coach. In both cases the entire administration should have been taken down.
        I thought it was. President and AD were both forced to resign. Unless you mean all the provosts and deans and such.

Comment

After all the fallout, we still don't know where the bulk of the blame falls. Briles is not blameless, but he gets a disproportionate share of the blame because the university and likely the town of Waco itself (WPD, specifically) had to squash their role in all of the misconduct. Briles and Starr were easy pickins.

I'm glad Briles is gone because he was and would still be the best coach in the league if he were at Baylor. May have even won a natty by now. Think about that. At Baylor. He was only starting to pull in the big recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
            After all the fallout, we still don't know where the bulk of the blame falls. Briles is not blameless, but he gets a disproportionate share of the blame because the university and likely the town of Waco itself (WPD, specifically) had to squash their role in all of the misconduct. Briles and Starr were easy pickins.

I'm glad Briles is gone because he was and would still be the best coach in the league if he were at Baylor. May have even won a natty by now. Think about that. At Baylor. He was only starting to pull in the big recruits.
            He also got a disproportionate share of the money as the HC and it was on his watch.

Comment

I thought it was. President and AD were both forced to resign. Unless you mean all the provosts and deans and such.
              Maybe they did. I haven't kept up with all of it. Just saying from the staff all the way to the top should have been fired... not resign.. but fired. AND.. prosecute those involved in cover ups. We were supposed to feel sorry for Joe Pa because he was old and a legendary coach. So! In his case it's meaningless now but what I was reading back then was nauseating. Briles shouldn't be allowed to coach anywhere at any level and those who employ him should be ashamed to admit it.

Comment

Briles shouldn't be allowed to coach anywhere at any level and those who employ him should be ashamed to admit it.
                It's Texas. Those state championships aren't going to win themselves. If Satan coached football, some high school in Texas would hire him while chanting BEELZEBUB RULES!

Comment

You dont understand why the two most powerful people got the most blame?

Also, you dont understand how having your name as "eat lead commie" unironically in 2019 makes you look really stupid?

Edit: I also just realized that your main reason for being glad that Briles was fired is because he hurting OUs chances to win games. You really are a piece of work.
                  Last edited by manateepower; 07-11-2019, 04:03 PM. Reason: Theres a lot to unpack here, but we should just burn tue whole suitcase instead.

Comment

Disproportionate blame? He ran the fucking program. Those rapists aren’t even in Waco if not for briles. He called all the shots. He knew and condoned of everything that went down and then tried to hide it. He didn’t get enough blame because he should be in prison. He’s a fucking piece of shit that deserves no sympathy.

Yes, everyone at Baylor deserves blame. Yes, Waco PD should’ve been investigated and punished for covering up rape by Baylor FB players. Waco PD May be the most disgusting thing in this whole mess and they get off Scott free. WTF?

But disproportionate blame? No. Briles deserves the lions share because he created it and he oversaw everything about that corrupt program. It all flowed from him.

Comment

Let’s not forget Briles previous stops as a coach. Stephenville was rampant with steroid use. He fucking introduced them to it! You saw the disproportionate size of the Baylor players versus OU. I know every school has roids, but Briles has decades of experience with them and covering their usage. The dude is the perfect example of a hypocritical Christian.

Ive known people that have met him and have been won over by his “southern charm”. Aww shucks. By golly. Etc etc. he’ll tell you the sob story of how his parents died in a car crash coming to see him play etc. This is how they get people to believe them and why so many of these Baylor supporters refuse to believe what happened actually happened. He is a true snake oil salesman.

Doubt there has been more corrupt good ole boy coach in the last 30-40 years, you might have to look at the silver screen to top him.

He’s the real life Bud Kilmer
                      Last edited by Bigpoppa85; 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigpoppa85 View Post
                        Let’s not forget Briles previous stops as a coach. Stephenville was rampant with steroid use. He fucking introduced them to it! You saw the disproportionate size of the Baylor players versus OU. I know every school has roids, but Briles has decades of experience with them and covering their usage. The dude is the perfect example of a hypocritical Christian

Doubt there has been more corrupt good ole boy coach in the last 30-40 years, you might have to look at the silver screen to top him.
                        This! The man has proven time and again (along with his son) that he is slime. Pure and simple.

Comment

The fuck you say?

Comment

I call bullshit on this as well. Briles never came close to a natty. Ever. His defenses were mostly shit, even worse than mikes defense. Think about that! His best 2 seasons ended in losses to freaking Michigan state and UCF fer crying out loud.

He wasn’t the best coach during his time in the big 12 and he wouldn’t be the best coach in the league today either.

Lay off the sauce junior.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post
                              He wasn’t the best coach during his time in the big 12 and he wouldn’t be the best coach in the league today either.
                              Yes, and he greatly benefited from Bob entering the twilight years of his career, and Mike beginning his swift slide into utter self-destruction.

Comment

Maybe they did. I haven't kept up with all of it. Just saying from the staff all the way to the top should have been fired... not resign.. but fired. AND.. prosecute those involved in cover ups. We were supposed to feel sorry for Joe Pa because he was old and a legendary coach. So! In his case it's meaningless now but what I was reading back then was nauseating. Briles shouldn't be allowed to coach anywhere at any level and those who employ him should be ashamed to admit it.
                                How are you going to prosecute those involved in cover ups exactly? There was civil liability, for sure, but nothing criminal unless the WPD was looking the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by manateepower View Post

You dont understand why the two most powerful people got the most blame?

Also, you dont understand how having your name as "eat lead commie" unironically in 2019 makes you look really stupid?

Edit: I also just realized that your main reason for being glad that Briles was fired is because he hurting OUs chances to win games. You really are a piece of work.
                                  They were the two most visible names and the easiest to scapegoat-- the head coach and a guy who half the country still hated from the Clinton impeachment. They cherry picked what they made public, but BU kept their findings secret when what was known very much implied there were problems that were systemic and possibly started with WPD-- problems that predated and had nothing to do with Briles or Starr. I'm not saying that those two didn't deserve to be fired, but I am saying they aren't the sole individuals at fault, and together I doubt they amount to even half the fault, if you can even assign a percentage of blame in such cases..

My moniker comes from my then kid niece telling me to "eat lead, commie," at the behest of her dad (my brother) several years ago, but ok, I'll take the word of "manateepower" that sensibilities have been offended. Duly noted.

Briles was a headache every year for OU and the game that we all worried about the most. He recruited fast kids to run our secondary out of gas every play and QBs who could throw the ball accurately. And he did that with 3 and 4 star kids. He was starting to pull in the 4 and 5 star kids. The only coach possibly better was Patterson, and Patterson's pattern is to field really tough teams for 2 years, and then rebuild in the 3rd. Briles was going to be a headache every year, as he was for his last 5 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. X View Post

Yes, and he greatly benefited from Bob entering the twilight years of his career, and Mike beginning his swift slide into utter self-destruction.
                                    Bob in the twilight of his career? Perhaps in retrospect, but Briles was 5 years older than Bob and it's not like Bob had reached Paterno or Bowden levels of coaching incompetence. He was a few years removed from playing for a natty when Briles got him with RG3 in a defensive breakdown that was the one of the catalysts for Mike being brought on board.

Comment

As the resident Bear, let me say: this is correct.

Don't misunderstand me - Briles needed to go. But the Board of Regents tried to lay it ALL at his feet, when it was their own inability to have correct systems and training in place that allowed for things to get to where they did. The Regents needed to step down, across the board.

Comment

It’s all about winning no matter what sport or pro/amateur. Look at Tyreek Hill. A lot of people in charge are pretending to be idiots so KC can win more games. I hope I’m wrong but I think this is going to end badly.

Comment

A couple of the schools on the Mount Vernon football schedule this fall are around where I live and they are trying to get out of those games in protest over the Briles hire. Just food for thought there are some Texas high schools teams who won't go for the win at any cost mentality. A friend of mine whose husband is the HC for New Boston ISD basically said he is wanting them to keep the game so after the damn thing he could knock his ass out.

Comment

Was there ever any Big XII or NCAA sanction levied against Baylor?

Comment

How are you going to prosecute those involved in cover ups exactly? There was civil liability, for sure, but nothing criminal unless the WPD was looking the other way.
                                              If you are harboring a criminal or turning your head when you know someone is committing a crime does that make you innocent? When that happens you become a part of that crime. I'm saying those who either knew or at least were suspecting and then didn't act are also guilty as far as I see it. The legal system may not agree with me and maybe you and other posters don't agree with me but that's just how I feel about serious stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by PleasantSooner View Post
                                                A couple of the schools on the Mount Vernon football schedule this fall are around where I live and they are trying to get out of those games in protest over the Briles hire. Just food for thought there are some Texas high schools teams who won't go for the win at any cost mentality. A friend of mine whose husband is the HC for New Boston ISD basically said he is wanting them to keep the game so after the damn thing he could knock his ass out.
                                                He won't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

He won't do it.
                                                  Prob not. But he wouldn’t have to worry about posting bail. He’d have a fan club

Comment

Briles’ reaction to one of the accusations was, as best I remember, “Why was she hanging out with those guys? Those are some bad dudes.” He knew the kind of people he was bringing to campus. His kid was offering “white girls” as a recruiting pitch. Either Art lied about when he knew what, or he was completely, intentionally out of the loop and lacking control. When he did learn of problems, he didn’t report things through the proper channels. And he continues to see himself as the victim of it all. Whether he can be trusted to coach HS ball is more of an open question, and it’ll probably go fine with so many eyes on his program, but he deserved everything he got at Baylor.

Are we sure that’s why they don’t want to play him?

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                                      Briles’ reaction to one of the accusations was, as best I remember, “Why was she hanging out with those guys? Those are some bad dudes.” He knew the kind of people he was bringing to campus. His kid was offering “white girls” as a recruiting pitch. Either Art lied about when he knew what, or he was completely, intentionally out of the loop and lacking control. When he did learn of problems, he didn’t report things through the proper channels. And he continues to see himself as the victim of it all. Whether he can be trusted to coach HS ball is more of an open question, and it’ll probably go fine with so many eyes on his program, but he deserved everything he got at Baylor.

Are we sure that’s why they don’t want to play him?
                                                      No he has hated Briles long before the Baylor scandal went down. He coached against him when he was a high school coach before and said he was dirty even then. Art has always had a win at any cost coaching style. He has called him more than once (before the Baylor shit) an awful human being with no conscience who hides behind a man of faith image. I wish I could find the audio of him calling in to a local sports show about Art when the scandal broke. But from what I've gotten from my friends in Atlanta, New Boston and Hooks, the school board isn't going to let them back out of the games against Mount Vernon unless they can come up with a legitimate reason others than not agreeing with a coaching hire so it's a moot point now.

Comment

No he has hated Briles long before the Baylor scandal went down. He coached against him when he was a high school coach before and said he was dirty even then. Art has always had a win at any cost coaching style. He has called him more than once (before the Baylor shit) an awful human being with no conscience who hides behind a man of faith image. I wish I could find the audio of him calling in to a local sports show about Art when the scandal broke. But from what I've gotten from my friends in Atlanta, New Boston and Hooks, the school board isn't going to let them back out of the games against Mount Vernon unless they can come up with a legitimate reason others than not agreeing with a coaching hire so it's a moot point now.
                                                        Wow... I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I reckon it won't go over well with that guy if Briles hangs half a hunnerd on him.

Comment

If Satan coached football, some high school in Texas would hire him while chanting BEELZEBUB RULES!
                                                          But Bama has already got him

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post

Disproportionate blame? He ran the fucking program. Those rapists aren’t even in Waco if not for briles. He called all the shots. He knew and condoned of everything that went down and then tried to hide it. He didn’t get enough blame because he should be in prison. He’s a fucking piece of shit that deserves no sympathy.

Yes, everyone at Baylor deserves blame. Yes, Waco PD should’ve been investigated and punished for covering up rape by Baylor FB players. Waco PD May be the most disgusting thing in this whole mess and they get off Scott free. WTF?

But disproportionate blame? No. Briles deserves the lions share because he created it and he oversaw everything about that corrupt program. It all flowed from him.

Comment

Bob in the twilight of his career? Perhaps in retrospect, but Briles was 5 years older than Bob and it's not like Bob had reached Paterno or Bowden levels of coaching incompetence. He was a few years removed from playing for a natty when Briles got him with RG3 in a defensive breakdown that was the one of the catalysts for Mike being brought on board.
                                                              MS was brought on board to make sure that OU kept having defensive breakdowns? Neat!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                              X
                                                              UA-124223861-1