First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The petty, wonderful and delightfully weird rise of Horns Down

"Nothing goes better together in Oklahoma than tornadoes, pork rinds and Horns Down."

Oklahoma fan John Slate

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ise-horns-down

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

It's funny how just about every player on every team.............. and every fan of every team............ ends up feeling the same way about Texas' two fingered Nazi style salute after dealing with them for a while. Nobody cares for having that crap stuck in your face.

Nobody else has a sign except for Florida that is that obnoxious. And even Florida doesn't think the "Gator Chomp" is sacred.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
      Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

It's funny how just about every player on every team.............. and every fan of every team............ ends up feeling the same way about Texas' two fingered Nazi style salute after dealing with them for a while. Nobody cares for having that crap stuck in your face.

Nobody else has a sign except for Florida that is that obnoxious. And even Florida doesn't think the "Gator Chomp" is sacred.
      Juat proves what we all know...Texas fans and players and coaches are a bunch of pussies. It will never change.

Comment

Meh Fuck Texsucks that is all.

Comment

Remember when Texas was an adversary and not a punchline.
          Pepperidge Farms does.

Comment

Horns down has been around forever. The reason it’s getting so much attention now, and the reason more and more teams are doing it, is solely because texas is crying about it like a bunch of little bitches. Hahaha.

Those fuckers are so stupid and they’re a bunch of soft pussies.

Comment

It is one of those deals that becomes an issue . . . when they lose.

Expect to hear a lot of screaming about it this year.

Take if from Jacie, the whorns 2019 season is not going to be pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacie View Post
                It is one of those deals that becomes an issue . . . when they lose.

Expect to hear a lot of screaming about it this year.

Take if from Jacie, the whorns 2019 season is not going to be pretty.
                Who's Jacie?

Comment

A long-time reader, first-time poster.

Comment

At the end of this article , Barry Switzer sums it up by saying, "Sh-t, it's just fun."

Comment

After years of the back-and-forth of the positives and negatives on horns down and OU, I asked myself four years ago, "If Michigan had a hand sign that tOSU fans could turn upside down, would they?" I say, "yes." If It were reversed, and tOSU had some hand sign, would Michigan do it? Yes. Replace "Michigan / tOSU" with Auburn and Alabama in the above reference, and you'd also find the answer is "yes."
                      Not only does it signify the intense rivalry (one of the top three in College Football), it simultaneously makes fosu fans feel irrelevant, which is just... awesome.

Wen I meet Sooner fans on vacation, I throw the upside down horns and say, "Boomer!" It's always been well-received.
                      Last edited by BoomerSooner2578; 07-13-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

West Virginia's locker room schedule:

View image on Twitter
                        View image on Twitter

lulz

one other thing: WV has never beaten the Sooners in Big XII play (0-7)....they have, however, beaten the horns. (WV leads the Big XII series 4-3) ***

***Yet, WV hates texas more and offers them ZERO respect.

This is just example No. 2,807,327 that texas isn't universally disrespected because they are dominant...texas is universally disrespected because they are simply, assholes.

Comment

Articles like this pop up from time to time. It's funny how most seem to leave out the classless show Herman put on over on his sidelines mocking the Missouri QB in the bowl game.

Longhorns, if anything, they are forever hypocritical.

Comment

Something else in that article caught my eye

We polled college fans and asked them who their biggest rival was," Havard said. "Texas has 11 different teams identifying them as a rival, by far the most in the country."

I thought my school had the most unrequited rivals. I would like to see the study on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Notre Dame Joe View Post

We polled college fans and asked them who their biggest rival was," Havard said. "Texas has 11 different teams identifying them as a rival, by far the most in the country."

I thought my school had the most unrequited rivals. I would like to see the study on that.
                              It's like this, probably more fans would say they don't like ND than sa*et, but they don't consider them a rival.

Comment

Remember how crazy the OU-WV game was last year? Just think if both sides had thrown the horns-down after each score...that would have been hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacie View Post

It's like this, probably more fans would say they don't like ND than sa*et, but they don't consider them a rival.
                                  Every BC fan lists us as their rival, but neither knows they aren't in our top 5.

Comment

Every BC fan lists us as their rival, but neither knows they aren't in our top 5.
                                    41-39

Comment

Texas has so many in state teams that hate them. That probably goes a long way towards their "eleven" teams. I think Notre Dame has an issue in that a lot of teams who hate them also have another rival that they hate even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

Texas has so many in state teams that hate them. That probably goes a long way towards their "eleven" teams. I think Notre Dame has an issue in that a lot of teams who hate them also have another rival that they hate even more.
                                        Yeah outside of Boston Fredo Corleollege we're the #2 or 3 rival for a long list of teams {Mich, MichSt, Purdue, Pitt, Navy, and my personal favorite SPOILERWest Virginia . That must be normal for the blue bloods in conferences though. I assume every team in the Big8 listed OU as their 2nd rival, and at least third in the Big12

Comment

Yeah outside of Boston Fredo Corleollege we're the #2 or 3 rival for a long list of teams {Mich, MichSt, Purdue, Pitt, Navy, and my personal favorite SPOILERWest Virginia . That must be normal for the blue bloods in conferences though. I assume every team in the Big8 listed OU as their 2nd rival, and at least third in the Big12
                                          Probably. Kansas and Missouri had a long and intense hatred going, all the way back to that Quantrill dust up.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomerSooner2578 View Post
                                            Wen I meet Sooner fans on vacation, I throw the upside down horns and say, "Boomer!" It's always been well-received.
                                            Speaking of which . . . I realize the OU brand is a universal global brand, much like Coke, the Golden Arches and the Beatles, but still, it never ceases to amaze me when I'm in a far-away place and and I run into another Sooner. The "horns down" sign is a bond that transcends time zones and international borders.

Left: About 5 years ago on a beach in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. This guy graduated the same year I did (although we didn't know one another). And yeah, I might have been a little too intoxicated to get the horns down quite right with my left hand, but the intent was there.

Right: 3 weeks ago at Linderhof Palace in the foothills of the Bavarian Alps. (Identities obscured in the interest of Internet privacy and keeping my ass from getting sued.)

Comment

Tulsa! I'm sure they all think OU is their rival.

Comment

I am guessing that most fans who name another team as their school's rival chose conference foes, those they play every year and with a state as part of the name. States border each other while Notre Dame is a school but the primary affiliation is based on religion, not geography.

The Kansas-Missouri example would be a valid one, based on real history just as people living in Indian Territory and later Oklahoma had reasons to dislike Texans. It isn't the results of a few meetings on a football field that generate a rivalry, it is history.

Comment

There's nothing petty about it. That school in Austin is dodo.

Comment

I read something about a 3 finger version of the salute?

Comment

It's literally the only thing that has kept the Big-12 together.

Comment

I didn't realize it was the Texas logo/sign turned upside down. I thought it was a baby deer trying to walk on an icy pond. That's why I always shouted, "Fuck yeah, baby deer on icy pond, wooooooooo!" at football games when making the hand sign.

Comment

Full confession - I've been an OU fan since '71 and the horns down sign is almost as annoying to me as the horns' hook-em sign. But since horns down annoys the horns fans so much, I don't see a way we could ever stop doing it!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                          X
                                                          UA-124223861-1