Announcement

Collapse

NEW POSTERS

POST REQUIREMENTS TO START A THREAD HAVE BEEN SET AT 25!

See more
See less

Alex Grinch says head coaching job 'doesn't really interest me'

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex Grinch says head coaching job 'doesn't really interest me'

Alex Grinch says head coaching job 'doesn't really interest me' in response to Lincoln Riley comments

While No. 5 Oklahoma (7-0, 4-0 Big 12) is in the midst of potentially having a third straight Heisman Trophy winning quarterback, arguably the biggest storyline of the season is first-year defensive coordinator Alex Grinch.

Throughout his career, Grinch has garnered attention with his ability to whip defenses into elite shape when he arrives on any campus, and what he's done at Oklahoma is the latest example. Head coach Lincoln Riley was asked Monday afternoon if Grinch has the traits to be a head coach one day. Through what he's seen, Riley can't deny that Grinch's success may very well lead to him being at the helm of a program.

"He's a really good leader, he's very passionate about the game, I think he's continuing to grow as a coach and has done well at several different stops," Riley said. "He does a good job communicating with the kids and with our defensive staff."

"There's no doubt in my mind that if that is what he wants to do, then he'd be a very good head coach."

Grinch was hired in January and was tapped to be the savior of a defense that has held the Sooners back from reaching the College Football National Championship for two years in a row.

Through his first seven games in Norman, it appears he just might lead the Sooners there, which is why Grinch, in response to Riley's comments, said he's only focused on restoring balance to the defensive side of the ball for the program.

"(Being a head coach is) something I've always thought about and I think a lot of coaches have," Grinch said. "I think at this stage, I'm just thrilled to be at Oklahoma, to run a defense, to run a room. To have a title next to your name or a seat at the head of the table doesn't really interest me."

Oklahoma has improved in nearly every defensive category, most notably scoring defense, total defense and third down defense. In 2018, the Sooners' rankings in those three categories was an average of 111, and that number has jumped to 19.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-foo...45bb25bde.html

I would respectfully suggest that everybody enjoy the ride. This year. Next year. Who knows how many years of Riley and Grinch in Norman.

Nothing lasts forever so enjoy it while it lasts. Enjoy. Enjoy. Enjoy.

Comment

With Grinch saying this It could not hurt our recruiting any if Riley said again that he intends to be at OU for the long haul.

Comment

That's my coordinator!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
          Alex Grinch says head coaching job 'doesn't really interest me' in response to Lincoln Riley comments

While No. 5 Oklahoma (7-0, 4-0 Big 12) is in the midst of potentially having a third straight Heisman Trophy winning quarterback, arguably the biggest storyline of the season is first-year defensive coordinator Alex Grinch.

Throughout his career, Grinch has garnered attention with his ability to whip defenses into elite shape when he arrives on any campus, and what he's done at Oklahoma is the latest example. Head coach Lincoln Riley was asked Monday afternoon if Grinch has the traits to be a head coach one day. Through what he's seen, Riley can't deny that Grinch's success may very well lead to him being at the helm of a program.

"He's a really good leader, he's very passionate about the game, I think he's continuing to grow as a coach and has done well at several different stops," Riley said. "He does a good job communicating with the kids and with our defensive staff."

"There's no doubt in my mind that if that is what he wants to do, then he'd be a very good head coach."

Grinch was hired in January and was tapped to be the savior of a defense that has held the Sooners back from reaching the College Football National Championship for two years in a row.

Through his first seven games in Norman, it appears he just might lead the Sooners there, which is why Grinch, in response to Riley's comments, said he's only focused on restoring balance to the defensive side of the ball for the program.

"(Being a head coach is) something I've always thought about and I think a lot of coaches have," Grinch said. "I think at this stage, I'm just thrilled to be at Oklahoma, to run a defense, to run a room. To have a title next to your name or a seat at the head of the table doesn't really interest me."

Oklahoma has improved in nearly every defensive category, most notably scoring defense, total defense and third down defense. In 2018, the Sooners' rankings in those three categories was an average of 111, and that number has jumped to 19.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-foo...45bb25bde.html
          oh sweet baby jesus please be let this be more than just some coach speak. I know they always have to say the proper shit. just hope he really means it.

Comment

Comment

You would think if Grinch was offered a job after this year and/or maybe next, it would be mid-major at best. He stays here, proves he can recruit as well as coach and in 5 years could take over a big time program. The path to that big time job is easier here than taking over the mid-major.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
                You would think if Grinch was offered a job after this year and/or maybe next, it would be mid-major at best. He stays here, proves he can recruit as well as coach and in 5 years could take over a big time program. The path to that big time job is easier here than taking over the mid-major.
                Bruce Feldman indicated in a column last week that Michigan State might have interest in Grinch if Dantonio steps down but I don't think that job is all that enticing. Even when MSU was dominating Michigan recruits still saw MSU as the little brother.

Comment

Originally posted by MyT Oklahoma View Post
                  I would respectfully suggest that everybody enjoy the ride. This year. Next year. Who knows how many years of Riley and Grinch in Norman.

This. Turns out that Grinch was the defensive version of Riley that we've been waiting for.

Comment

Anybody heard which coaching positions the texsa staff is being rumored for?

Comment

OU is either going to turn into Bama or Clemson as far as coaching turnover. The only difference will be we don’t have an NFL failure like saban to for sure stick around at the HC position. Hopefully it’s a Clemson like staff that stays together and wants to win together.

Comment

What else is a guy in his position going to say? It's like:
                        Reporter: "Did you see those beautiful girls cheering for you/"
                        Grinch: "I love my wife and I never even look at other women."

I can't imagine any coach at any level not wanting to be a head coach. Even the ones that know they are not capable would still want to be one.

Comment

Based on Grinch's comments since he's been here I think he is someone that places a high value on being a part of something special. He couldn't stop saying how elite the OU program is and how much he loves being a part of it. So, I think he will someday maybe be interested in a head coaching position, but it's going to have to be a really good one before he jumps, is my impression. I don't see him just taking a HC position just to have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tip View Post

I can't imagine any coach at any level not wanting to be a head coach. Even the ones that know they are not capable would still want to be one.
                            Cale Gundy
                            Bud Foster
                            Merv Johnson
                            all say hello.....

It's definitely rare but it does happen. Again, I think it'll take a top tier job to get Grinch interested. JMO. We'll keep him paid well enough that he'll be content to stay until he gets that opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Shoes View Post

Bruce Feldman indicated in a column last week that Michigan State might have interest in Grinch if Dantonio steps down but I don't think that job is all that enticing. Even when MSU was dominating Michigan recruits still saw MSU as the little brother.
                              Just read today that Dantonio gets a $4.3 million bonus in January if he's still the head coach. If MSU fires him they owe him a $7 million buy out. Don't see him leaving in the next year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeLucky View Post

Just read today that Dantonio gets a $4.3 million bonus in January if he's still the head coach. If MSU fires him they owe him a $7 million buy out. Don't see him leaving in the next year or two.
                                He wouldn't be fired but there's a lot of smoke around the program that Dantonio wants to retire after this year.

Comment

Probably a bad omen that the "Alex Grinch head coach doesn't appeal to me" thread is right above the "USA today head coach salary thread". If those two meet, Grinch may change his mind

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Shoes View Post

He wouldn't be fired but there's a lot of smoke around the program that Dantonio wants to retire after this year.
                                    Well, maybe they give him his 4.3 and let him go....

Comment

It's a pipe dream to think Grinch wouldn't take a head coaching job if the right school offered. However, one of the hottest DC names last year was Todd Orlando, and I don't think he was up for any HC vacancies. I think Grinch is going to need a few years of elite defensive production out of OU before a top P5 program looks pass Offensive minded coach and gives him opportunity.

Unless guys like Diaz and Muschamp bucks the trend ... Don't think Grinch is going anywhere for a few years at least.

Comment

Amen. No win situation for any coach to say they have no interest in moving on or up. As said, just enjoy them while they’re here.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie22 View Post
                                          It's a pipe dream to think Grinch wouldn't take a head coaching job if the right school offered. However, one of the hottest DC names last year was Todd Orlando, and I don't think he was up for any HC vacancies. I think Grinch is going to need a few years of elite defensive production out of OU before a top P5 program looks pass Offensive minded coach and gives him opportunity.

Unless guys like Diaz and Muschamp bucks the trend ... Don't think Grinch is going anywhere for a few years at least.
                                          I think Orlando is holding out for that SMU job when Dykes moves on

Comment

Cale Gundy
                                            Bud Foster
                                            Merv Johnson
                                            all say hello.....

It's definitely rare but it does happen. Again, I think it'll take a top tier job to get Grinch interested. JMO. We'll keep him paid well enough that he'll be content to stay until he gets that opportunity.
                                            I don't think Merv belongs on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by OUMick View Post

I don't think Merv belongs on that list.
                                              Oh.... Which head coaching job did he take?

Comment

I’m not entirely sure of that. There have been plenty of guys through the years who will entertain the idea but never jump ship. Not saying Grinch is one of those guys. But there are a lot who realize a solid coordinator gig these days will make them a millionaire.

Comment

Exactly.
                                                  Like the dude sitting with his buddies thumbing his nose at the ugly chick at 11 PM,
                                                  Banging the hell out of her in the parking lot at 2:01 AM.

Comment

He applied for OU when OU hired Gibbs. He tried for Missouri and Arkansas and didn't get them. He may have passed on some others along the way.

Believe it or not, but Merv was considered "too nice" to be a head coach in some circles when he was younger, and then it was he was "too tied to the option offense and had never been a coordinator" and then he was considered "too old".

OU was lucky he never left because the guy was all class when we needed somebody around like that.

Comment

Originally posted by 49cent View Post

I’m not entirely sure of that. There have been plenty of guys through the years who will entertain the idea but never jump ship. Not saying Grinch is one of those guys. But there are a lot who realize a solid coordinator gig these days will make them a millionaire.
                                                      I think that our desire for him to stay might cloud our judgement.
                                                      But we know how typical career paths go:
                                                      Have success as a coordinator at a mid level school.
                                                      Get hired as coordinator at a top tier school. Have success there.
                                                      Get hired as head coach at mid level school for twice the salary. Have success.
                                                      Get hired at top tier school for even more money. Have success.
                                                      Get more money. Have success for awhile.
                                                      Have the stadium named after you.

Comment

Every coach worth his salt wants to lead his own program one day. Coach Speak on the finest level here.

Comment

If Grinch continues to improve the defense and OU wins a national championship, he will be going to a top power 5 team not a mid major. it will be a situation similar to Bob Stoops: Florida DC to Oklahoma HC.

Comment

Originally posted by MichSooner View Post
                                                            If Grinch continues to improve the defense and OU wins a national championship, he will be going to a top power 5 team not a mid major. it will be a situation similar to Bob Stoops: Florida DC to Oklahoma HC.
                                                            All this stuff is good news for now...

He could stay at Oklahoma a few years, to see if he is needed to replace Riley too...

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post
                                                              Every coach worth his salt wants to lead his own program one day. Coach Speak on the finest level here.
                                                              I am almost certain that is, in fact, coach speak. That said, what you say is not true.

Comment

Mizzou. His wife and him were supposed to go up to the announcement ceremony but they gave the job to someone else. He was up for it again later but it turned it down because he was still pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

He applied for OU when OU hired Gibbs. He tried for Missouri and Arkansas and didn't get them. He may have passed on some others along the way.

Believe it or not, but Merv was considered "too nice" to be a head coach in some circles when he was younger, and then it was he was "too tied to the option offense and had never been a coordinator" and then he was considered "too old".

OU was lucky he never left because the guy was all class when we needed somebody around like that.
                                                                  He certainly wouldn't pull a kid around by his facemask. Back then he wasn't head coaching material. Today he'd be 1st in line for Tennessee's.

Comment

Most of us realize Grinch's statement to be what it is...empty. If Southern Cal came calling, his interest would suddenly be piqued. We have the Bob Stoops model, and the Mike Leach model. Others as well. Logic says what MichSooner said. Will Grinch be patient, like his disinterest implies? Time will tell.

In the meantime, the quest for #8 continues. That's Job One for everybody.

Comment

He is hanging around to take over at OU at the end of the year.

Comment

......my only retort is Bud....Barry....Bob.....Lincoln?

......as for Grinch.....how many head coaching jobs has Venables taken

SS

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                        X
                                                                        UA-124223861-1