First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

49ers color analyst suspended over perceived racially insensitive comment

I'm putting this here because it has to do with football but if it gets too wild, feel free to move to politics.
    Analyst Tim Ryan suspended by 49ers for Lamar Jackson ‘dark skin’ comment

Could he have worded this better? Yeah. But is it anything to get worked up about? No.

If there were a sport where the ball was a similar color to white people's skin and someone said that it's difficult to see the ball against their skin and white jersey, I don't think any white people would be offended by that.

EDIT: Here's what he actually said:
    “He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing,” Ryan said Monday on KNBR-AM (690) in San Francisco. “I mean, you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point, and if you’re a half step slow on him in terms of your vision, forget about it, he’s out of the gate.”
    Last edited by traxx; 12-05-2019, 11:34 AM.

Originally posted by traxx View Post
    I'm putting this here because it has to do with football but if it gets too wild, feel free to move to politics.

Could he have worded this better? Yeah. But is it anything to get worked up about? No.

If there were a sport where the ball was a similar color to white people's skin and someone said that it's difficult to see the ball against their skin and white jersey, I don't think any white people would be offended by that.
    You can't say that in today's world. We're in cancel culture bro. People are offended by everything. And to your point, that comment was racists as hell. It was funny as well.

Comment

Its obvious, he clearly hates all black people.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthForty View Post
        Its obvious, he clearly hates all black people.
        Meh... But is he good at "color commentating".?

Comment

so acknowledging that the color of the football, color of his skin and color of the jersey are all dark is racist?

you people can go fuck yourselves.

Comment

It's funny, I've always said if I had a say, my team's jerseys would be the exact brown color of the ball and their shoes would be bright yellow like the flags.

Comment

Originally posted by keef View Post
              so acknowledging that the color of the football, color of his skin and color of the jersey are all dark is racist?

"racist as hell"

Comment

Originally posted by JR's BBQ View Post
                It's funny, I've always said if I had a say, my team's jerseys would be the exact brown color of the ball and their shoes would be bright yellow like the flags.
                You work for Oregon?

Comment

Treating black people differently = offensive and racist
                  Treating black people the same = offensive and racist
                  Acknowledging black people's race or skin tone = offensive and racist
                  Not acknowledging black people's race or skin tone = offensive and racist

Comment

when white folks sunbathe, is that racist?

when Trump plays basketball, is it racist to point out its tough to see the ball against his skin?

Comment

Hit a nerve, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post
                        racist!

Comment

when white folks sunbathe, is that racist?

when Trump plays basketball, is it racist to point out its tough to see the ball against his skin?
                          Solid!

Comment

Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post

Hit a nerve, eh?
                            you know me. I prolly won't be able to sleep tonight I'm so worked up.

Comment

That comment was not racist.
                              Live Free or Die!

Comment

I'm going to stay out of this one, I could get in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
                                  you know, sometimes you're pretty smart.....for an old, white male.

Comment

Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post
                                    Here's a serious question. What's considered racist in your mind? As I said, the comment doesn't bother me. Hell, I laughed when I saw the article. I especially laughed because I pointed out Lamar Jackson to my wife during the game And said, "That's a real ..... right there?" However, you have to be stupid to think you can get away with that comment in San Francisco, California. He may not be racist, but he's dumb as fuck.
                                    Last edited by AdonijahAijalon; 12-05-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Old white males are superior to everyone else.

Mazeppa is older than me, so he's superior to me (I'm assuming Mazeppa is white and male).
                                      Live Free or Die!

Comment

Hit a nerve, eh?
                                        to be clear, when I said "you people", I meant "all people"

people suck.

Comment

Nice try, but I'm not taking the bait.

Comment

to be clear, when I said "you people", I meant "all people"

people suck.
                                            How dare you?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
                                              C'mon in. The water's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

How dare you?!?
                                                I think Lamar is a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude

Comment

Here's a serious question. What's considered racist in your mind? As I said, the comment doesn't bother me. Hell, I laughed when I saw the article. I especially laughed because I pointed out Lamar Jackson to my wife during the game And said, "That's a real ..... right there?" However, you have to be stupid to think you can get away with that comment in San Francisco, California. He may not be racist, but he's dumb ass fuck.
                                                  I consider something racist when a particular race is looked at being inferior because of the race (since that is the definition)

I don't consider it racist when someone points out a particular trait that is true.

My skin is more red or Native American look that most. If someone said "hey your skin is red", I don't think that's an issue at all. If they said "you must be an alcoholic because your skin is red, that's a bit racist.

Comment

Got to be racist. You don't hear this kind of thing when you guys walk around with crackers in your hand do you?

Comment

Originally posted by OUMick View Post
                                                      I don't consider it racist when someone points out a particular trait that is true.
                                                      It shouldn't be but these days it is. People are on the edge of their seats just waiting to be offended so they can react. They don't even think it out but when they hear anything race related... "Bingo! I got one!"

Is it racist for the lighting guy on the TV news set to say, "We need more lights for the Afro-American broadcaster because his skin absorbs light instead of reflecting it like the white guy's does."

Comment

The football should be brown for the 1st half and white for the 2nd half so it's fair.

Comment

There is one racist in this thread and we all know who it is. Say no to race baiting racists!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SportyJames View Post
                                                            The football should be brown for the 1st half and white for the 2nd half so it's fair.
                                                            Actually, why don't they make them half and half? Anything to make it more visible. Tradition says no? Hell, make it neon orange. Then no race would be offended!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tip View Post

It shouldn't be but these days it is. People are on the edge of their seats just waiting to be offended so they can react. They don't even think it out but when they hear anything race related... "Bingo! I got one!"

Is it racist for the lighting guy on the TV news set to say, "We need more lights for the Afro-American broadcaster because his skin absorbs light instead of reflecting it like the white guy's does."
                                                              Unfortunately if the lighting guy is white yes. If he's not, then no. There is where it becomes troubling to me.

Comment

Here's a serious question. What's considered racist in your mind? As I said, the comment doesn't bother me. Hell, I laughed when I saw the article. I especially laughed because I pointed out Lamar Jackson to my wife during the game And said, "That's a real ..... right there?" However, you have to be stupid to think you can get away with that comment in San Francisco, California. He may not be racist, but he's dumb as fuck.
                                                                A racist comment would be one that indicates the speaker believes a race of people are superior or inferior to others.

Comment

I'm not racist! I have plenty of friends...who dress up as black people for Halloween.

---Anthony Jeselnik

Comment

Works as long as the turf isn't blue..? ​​​​​​​

Originally posted by SportyJames View Post

Or, just use a rugby football, it could be a "BIG" fix to this "little" issue...

Comment

This Tim Ryan fella must be out of his cotton pickin' mind.

Comment

scientifically racist is one of my favorite kinds of racist!

Actually, why don't they make them half and half? Anything to make it more visible. Tradition says no? Hell, make it neon orange. Then no race would be offended!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBurglar View Post
                                                                          Got to be racist. You don't hear this kind of thing when you guys walk around with crackers in your hand do you?

Comment

Too late....

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by mexican/ninja View Post

Too late....

Well played Wyoming. Well played.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Would have been fine if Tim Ryan was a colored commentator.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by mexican/ninja View Post

Too late....

Dont know why, but ive always like these.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Abner T Rigshaw III View Post

Dont know why, but ive always like these.
                                                                                    They’re so ugly they’re unique. I’m for it too. Especially since they aren’t my team! I prefer that to another Bulldog, Lion, Eagle, generic mascot/color scheme

not many teams go with Brown as a primary or even secondary color.

Comment

#43

I see what ya did there with that fine knitting job of a thread title. "...color analyst...".

Comment

#44
                                                                                        this kinda thing is like a severed boar's head on a spit for the flies around here.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Man, his title is “color analyst”. I’ll be damned if he didn’t nail it.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by SoonerBurglar View Post
                                                                                            You don't hear this kind of thing when you guys walk around with crackers in your hand do you?
                                                                                            Are you callin' me a cracker?

Hey, look at me everyone! I'm a victim.

Comment

#47

.....we don’t say ‘white male’ anymore.....we say ‘white devil’

SS

Comment

#48

Are you callin' me a cracker?

Hey, look at me everyone! I'm a victim.
                                                                                                We are all victims of propagation, none of this will have an affect on our lives, but it is fun to read (& literally "hear") thoughts nonetheless...

I tell ya, the thing to listen to: https://www.naturalreaders.com/online/ (in the [UK] Rachel voice), copy & paste the thread for the site to read it back while at work..!

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  It's always illuminating when DB discusses anything even tangentially related to race or other social issues.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Balko View Post
                                                                                                    It's always illuminating when DB discusses anything even tangentially related to race or other social issues.
                                                                                                    'Illuminating' is one way to phrase it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1