Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lincoln Riley says Sooners have either been exposed to coronavirus or tested postive

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lincoln Riley says Sooners have either been exposed to coronavirus or tested postive

Editor's note: Hours after Lincoln Riley's ESPN interview, The Norman Transcript confirmed one player has tested positive for coronavirus while it is not known how many players have been exposed.

Head coach Lincoln Riley said in an interview with ESPN's Golic and Wingo Thursday that multiple Sooners have either been exposed to COVID-19 or have tested positive.

Per a report from The Norman Transcript hours later, an OU spokesperson confirmed that one player has tested positive for the virus while it is not known how many players have been exposed.

Lincoln Riley says multiple #Sooners have either been exposed to coronavirus or tested positive on ESPN's Golic and Wingo"We've had a player or two that has been either exposed or has tested positive for this thing, just like everybody else has."

— Vic Reynolds (@vicareynolds) June 18, 2020

The Sooners are scheduled to return for voluntary workouts July 1, almost a month later than the majority of other Power 5 schools. Houston and Alabama are among other schools that have athletes who have tested positive for the virus.

"We've had a player or two that has been either exposed or has tested positive for this thing, just like everybody else has. The difference for us is our players aren't all here together, so they haven't exposed or potentially infected a bunch of other players here."

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-foo...8f33f3f16.html

How many times does this phrase appear in this article? "have either been exposed to COVID-19 or have tested positive"

My aunt was right.

Comment

......translation......some players got the flu and will be good to go for football season

SS

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
        My aunt was right.
        About your uncle?
        Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

"We've had a player or two that has been either exposed or has tested positive for this thing, just like everybody else has. The difference for us is our players aren't all here together, so they haven't exposed or potentially infected a bunch of other players here."

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-foo...8f33f3f16.html

How many times does this phrase appear in this article? "have either been exposed to COVID-19 or have tested positive"
          Good news ... the players weren't around to infect other players who are in a demographic where the impact of this disease is far, far less than the flu.

Bad news ... the players that were infected, likely asymptomatic, still have plenty of chances to visit grandpa and infect him.

Comment

I was somewhat on the fence as to whether Riley was right or not on pushing for a later date to get the players back. Every time now I see an article with major universities reporting a bunch of cases I am glad for the decision he made. This has to move the needle in recruiting pitches, "Yeah, they SAY they care about you, your health and your family, but we put our money where our mouth is."

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBourne View Post
              I was somewhat on the fence as to whether Riley was right or not on pushing for a later date to get the players back. Every time now I see an article with major universities reporting a bunch of cases I am glad for the decision he made. This has to move the needle in recruiting pitches, "Yeah, they SAY they care about you, your health and your family, but we put our money where our mouth is."
              Ha. Like a recruit is thinking more about his safety than playing for a team that sends trillions of players into the NFL. Good try, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bustarime View Post

Ha. Like a recruit is thinking more about his safety than playing for a team that sends trillions of players into the NFL. Good try, though.
                Recruits are not officially adults yet and most are heavily influenced by their parents. Parents do want to feel their kid will be taken care of along with being prepared for the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthSider View Post
                  ......translation......some players got the flu and will be good to go for football season

SS
                  Actual translation - we only knew they had it because we tested them, not because symptomatic or sick.

Comment

Originally posted by LongarLongar View Post

Actual translation - we only knew they had it because we tested them, not because symptomatic or sick.
                    Nobody wants to be the first program to have a guy die from this stuff. That would be the one thing that is worse than finding out that your program or school did something racist in 1920.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

Nobody wants to be the first program to have a guy die from this stuff. That would be the one thing that is worse than finding out that your program or school did something racist in 1920.
                      Maybe but its an idiotic mindset.
                      All players that want to be exposed should do so now and get it over with. (They should have done it in March to be honest... everyone under 40 and healthy should have).

We cant run from Covid. We are all going to be exposed. A tiny tiny fraction would be able to hold out til there is a vaccine, if at any at all. The hospitals never got close to being overwhelmed at its peak.

So wtf are we doing? None of this was necessary. Plenty of evidence that we did far more damage with our lockdowns than the virus would have done. Wait til November when old folks and babies start dropping dead from things they should have been exposed to this spring but werent. Not to mention the fallout from the economic damage. We should have just quarantined nursing homes and lived our lives. Facts. We got played and are still getting played.
                      Last edited by BirtDurglar; 06-22-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBourne View Post
                        I leaned the other way. Get our exposure sooner and have a healthy roster by fall camp. I agree with the "can't hide or avoid it" folks.

Comment

I'm less optimistic about having a football season this fall than ever. I don't personally think this virus is as bad as many try to say. I suspect lots of people are infected with viruses all the time and never know about it but in this case, people are being tested all the time and so the #'s just keep growing. As the players start coming back to campuses around the country, more and more are going to test positive and eventually someone is going to make the call to either cancel the season or postpone it. But a lot of people are expecting another round later in the fall so postponing probably doesn't make sense either. I really hope I'm wrong. College football is my favorite pastime.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

If they die from it then it’s because you were racist then and systematically racist now.

Comment

Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post

If they die from it then it’s because you were racist then and systematically racist now.
                              I keep hoping that instead of spreading BS here you'll eventually contribute something worthwhile. We're still waiting.

Comment

Has anyone who has been exposed to COVID-19 said it was wearing a trench coat?

Comment

Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post

All players that want to be exposed should do so now and get it over with. (They should have done it in March to be honest... everyone under 40 and healthy should have).

We cant run from Covid. We are all going to be exposed. A tiny tiny fraction would be able to hold out til there is a vaccine, if at any at all. The hospitals never got close to being overwhelmed at its peak.

So wtf are we doing? None of this was necessary. Plenty of evidence that we did far more damage with our lockdowns than the virus would have done. Wait til November when old folks and babies start dropping dead from things they should have been exposed to this spring but werent. Not to mention the fallout from the economic damage. We should have just quarantined nursing homes and lived our lives. Facts. We got played and are still getting played.
                                  This X's 100000000000

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post
                                    I'm less optimistic about having a football season this fall than ever. I don't personally think this virus is as bad as many try to say. I suspect lots of people are infected with viruses all the time and never know about it but in this case, people are being tested all the time and so the #'s just keep growing. As the players start coming back to campuses around the country, more and more are going to test positive and eventually someone is going to make the call to either cancel the season or postpone it. But a lot of people are expecting another round later in the fall so postponing probably doesn't make sense either. I really hope I'm wrong. College football is my favorite pastime.
                                    The "novel" part of this virus is the damning part. Team sports is breaking new ground as the knowledge curve increases. I believe we are going to learn a lot more about asymptomatic cases from sports and especially from football since the rosters are so large. But as you point out, the time to gather this info and use it to make decisions is running short to expect a normal season. It doesn't appear OU has lost much ground to other teams that reported earlier as they are having to quarantine too many players to have really useful practices. I suspect OU will be in the same boat come July 1.

Comment

Football ain't happening. Thanks virus tards. All due to a bad cold.

Comment

Considering we haven't seen its peak, none of what you wrote is logical but don't let that stop you from spewing ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by eightisgreat View Post

Considering we haven't seen its peak, none of what you wrote is logical but don't let that stop you from spewing ignorance.
                                          So would your solution be to keep everyone at home forever so we never hit a peak? At some point, you just have to be smart and deal with it.

Comment

Tard. .2 death rate. Ermagahd! Stop the world!

Comment

You mad

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ern View Post
                                                Football ain't happening. Thanks virus tards. All due to a bad cold.
                                                Just checking the ignorant boxes off one after another.

Comment

Someone needs to release a national report on Covid deaths by age.

Wouldn't that be nice. And easy.

But the bureaucrats and eightisfake want to spread fear.

Comment

pretty out of touch there, Busta.

Comment

You shut your dirty whore mouth!

They'll play the season fanless at the very least. They wore masks at the 1918 games in Norman.

From the photos I saw all the fans were wearing church clothes too.

Comment

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-player-survey

Hes right

Comment

Nothing makes sense right now. Should they play? In my opinion, yes but there needs to be around the clock testing. The NCAA and universities have the funding for it.

Comment

The Orlando Pride have withdrawn from the upcoming NWSL Challenge Cup after six players and four staffers tested positive for the coronavirus, a significant setback for a league attempting to become the first in American professional team sports to resume competition.

Orlando announced the decision Monday, six days before it was scheduled to play the Chicago Red Stars on the opening day of the tournament held in the Salt Lake City area. It said in a statement that all players and staff who tested positive remained asymptomatic.
                                                            If this is going to be the model sports in the US follow, it'll be best to get this over with as early as possible. Enough positive tests for a disease showing no symptoms in this demographic shuts down a team.

Comment

Lock the whole team + operations personnel/coaches in the weight room...no one leaves until they all 'get the 'Rona'...play ball. What I don't want to see happen is the week before Texas our QB1 and half the OLine get 'Rona and have to sit.

Comment

Unless they get a vaccine, unlikely before the season, it’s going to be a truncated and abbreviated season. Key players getting sidelined for big games due to the rona. Enjoy whatever games we get to play. We’ll likely be shorthanded at some point, hopefully not the texas game.

Comment

Originally posted by RockE View Post

You shut your dirty whore mouth!

They'll play the season fanless at the very least. They wore masks at the 1918 games in Norman.

From the photos I saw all the fans were wearing church clothes too.
                                                                  Wow, people in 1918 didn't make something like wearing masks a political statement?! Thank goodness we've advanced past such ignorance.

Comment

I don’t think it’s a matter of sitting individual players who test positive. Unless you can field a team and staff who already have antibodies (Clemson?), one positive probably means the whole team is done for two weeks because they’ve all been exposed. Gonna have a bunch of teams finish the season like 8-1 or 5-2.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                                                      I don’t think it’s a matter of sitting individual players who test positive. Unless you can field a team and staff who already have antibodies (Clemson?), one positive probably means the whole team is done for two weeks because they’ve all been exposed. Gonna have a bunch of teams finish the season like 8-1 or 5-2.
                                                                      The part of quarantining an entire team because of one player testing positive hasn't been done elsewhere. Premier league just has the player who tests positive self isolates. Everyone else still goes through the normal testing procedures and monitored for symptoms.

Comment

I fully expect we will be missing players for each game, and the same goes for every other team. I think it would be the rare team that has zero incidents of contact or positives. Same for coaches too.

Comment

So from what I'm reading, we don't know how long the antibodies generated from getting COVID will last. There are some discussions that the antibodies are only good for about 6 months after being infected. Of course, this doesn't take into account if there is a mutation in the COVID virus. Regardless, a time frame of March would have put immunities (should that really be a thing) expiring around September when another wave would hit.

https://bgr.com/2020/05/26/coronavir...-19-treatment/

The whole point of the quarantine was to prevent overwhelming our medical system (which you pointed out). However, other countries did get an overwhelmed medical system and an argument exists that New York did as well. I don't think this thing is as cut and dried as the normal flu, but I do think there are factors that we haven't figured out yet (like biological predeterminers that exacerbate the conditions of COVID, possible conflicts with specific medicines, whatever). I think we get that part figured out and full reopening comes closer to a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by QuakerMayfield View Post

Just checking the ignorant boxes off one after another.
                                                                            They can inject me w Corona at the gate if I was allowed to go to West Point.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Big Ern View Post

They can inject me w Corona at the gate if I was allowed to go to West Point.
                                                                              If we had more people like you, we'd have less people like you.

(Sorry, couldn't resist the softball)

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post

The part of quarantining an entire team because of one player testing positive hasn't been done elsewhere. Premier league just has the player who tests positive self isolates. Everyone else still goes through the normal testing procedures and monitored for symptoms.
                                                                                Soccer is a different sport. If a left guard tests negative on Friday but his roommate tests positive, do we know enough about exactly when it's detectable vs. spreadable for you to want to line up across from him and bang your facemask into his 80 times?

I mean it would be good for fans if a couple positives don't sideline the entire team, but if that's your policy over 12+ games with 130 FBS teams with 90 or so players each...it'll backfire at least a few times.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

Soccer is a different sport. If a left guard tests negative on Friday but his roommate tests positive, do we know enough about exactly when it's detectable vs. spreadable for you to want to line up across from him and bang your facemask into his 80 times?

I mean it would be good for fans if a couple positives don't sideline the entire team, but if that's your policy over 12+ games with 130 FBS teams with 90 or so players each...it'll backfire at least a few times.
                                                                                  We're still talking about a disease in which the risk level to people in this demographic is next to nothing. The vast majority of these positive tests coming out of camps are asymptomatic. If "backfiring" in this case is a case of another player getting infected, that really isn't a risk at all in comparison to the sport of football itself. While this disease is deadly for those in nursing homes, it isn't the plague for football players.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post

We're still talking about a disease in which the risk level to people in this demographic is next to nothing. The vast majority of these positive tests coming out of camps are asymptomatic. If "backfiring" in this case is a case of another player getting infected, that really isn't a risk at all in comparison to the sport of football itself. While this disease is deadly for those in nursing homes, it isn't the plague for football players.
                                                                                    I do think we will find out more about "asymptomatic" cases from these sports teams. If you think about how these people are testing positive, it means there is viral reproduction which in turn means cells are being killed. The rate of cell death is not causing them apparent issues or at least none they notice. I read a study on some of these cases where some of the patients had pretty extensive lung damage that showed up on Xrays and yet they didn't notice. And this virus can infect many other organs besides lungs, This won't happen to athletes - if they indeed have measurable damage to their lungs, it will show up when they resume high intensity training. They will lack normal stamina or strength or both. It could also be that the positive tests comes from viral RNA fragments left over from an infection and the athlete has cleared the virus from their system and are no longer contagious and are fully healthy. My guess is we'll see a mixed bag - mostly positive news but with some unfortunate exceptions.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      This thread seems political.

Play some football.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Oklahoma to Use ‘Special Sanitizer’ in Weight Room and We Don’t Know What That Means

College football teams across the country are hopeful they can return to playing on time come this fall. With the COVID-19 breakouts across multiple campuses where players have returned such as LSU, Clemson and others, there is a cause for concern for both player and staff safety going forward.

Out in Oklahoma, the Sooners believe that they have the solution to combat the coronavirus. In theory, the solution is a great idea. In practice, who knows what this even means?

Oklahoma is reportedly using a special kind of sanitizer in its weight room for workouts: #Sooners https://t.co/bAshO7pgyP

— soonerswire (@soonerswire) June 24, 2020

OU is looking into using a “special” sanitizer called Alpha Defense Shield that kills 99.9% of germs. According to reports, the sanitizer has also been used by Navy, Arizona State as well as a few top-flight high school football programs. Instead of having to wipe down weights used during workouts after each use, one use of Alpha Defense Shield should supposedly do the trick.

https://www.12up.com/posts/oklahoma-...s-01ebkrmmp7vk

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by OUspark View Post
                                                                                          This thread seems political.

Play some football.
                                                                                          Speaking of football, here's a list of the top 4 programs from #DaHerd

Comment

#46

So would your solution be to keep everyone at home forever so we never hit a peak? At some point, you just have to be smart and deal with it.

you keep the reproductive rate below 1.0 for long enough that the cases reduce to a number that can be manageable via testing and contact tracing.

It has been done elsewhere and is possible here.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by ChapelHillSooner View Post

you keep the reproductive rate below 1.0 for long enough that the cases reduce to a number that can be manageable via testing and contact tracing.

It has been done elsewhere and is possible here.
                                                                                              How long is “long enough”? We can’t be holed up for months or years.

Comment

#48

How long is “long enough”? We can’t be holed up for months or years.
                                                                                                For other countries is was the original 8-10 weeks as predicted. For incompetent countries like ours, no upper bound.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Please keep Rattler quarantined. Better yet make him Bubble Boy

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post

For other countries is was the original 8-10 weeks as predicted. For incompetent countries like ours, no upper bound.
                                                                                                    Lockdowns continue all over the world. Policy in the US was/is generally set at the state and local level. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between policy and infection rate when comparing states or nations.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1