Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defensive Efficiency Rankings

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Defensive Efficiency Rankings

    Football Outsiders: 28th, 2019 (69th, nice), 2018 (104th) FEI
    FPI: 16th, 2019 (44th), 2018 (92nd) FPI

    Grinch earning his money. 8.5.2

    #2
    Originally posted by Pourquoi View Post
    Football Outsiders: 28th, 2019 (69th, nice), 2018 (104th) FEI
    FPI: 16th, 2019 (44th), 2018 (92nd) FPI

    Grinch earning his money. 8.5.2
    Oh great another Mike Stoops sucks thread.

    Comment


      #3
      SP+ has OU as the 44th defense. Usually all of these efficiency-type metrics tell similar stories. What's the difference? I think OU might really be a top 20 defense right now, but they weren't until the last two games, certainly not over the whole season.

      Comment


        #4
        FEI on Football Outsiders is a metric I check every week. Although it tends to lag a week behind (it shows OU as 4-2 instead of 5-2) and I don't know all of the variables that go into making it. But it is pretty similar to S&P+. However S&P includes "preseason" variables in their initial rankings and as the season goes on (by 9 or 10 games), these variables are filtered out and thus, you have a fairly true measure of how good an offense or defense is. These "preseason variables" are items like number of returning starters, recruiting class, and potential SOS. But again, once the season gets further along, these measures are removed.

        S&P also incorporates variables like havoc, turnovers, success rate on specific downs, etc. Also, S&P serves more as a "predictor" based upon how you have played (success rate, etc.) and does NOT incorporate nor care whether you won past games or not. In summary, it formulates how good you "should be" based upon your performance in specific categories. It certainly isn't the "be all and end all", but it is as good of a measure as any that are currently out there.

        Comment


          #5
          Too technical for me so :

          1) Fire Grinch ?

          - or -

          2) Retain Grinch, but demand he be fired in some emotional game thread post every time the other team scores ?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post
            Too technical for me so :

            1) Fire Grinch ?

            - or -

            2) Retain Grinch, but demand he be fired in some emotional game thread post every time the other team scores ?
            #2 except change it to "every time the other team converts a 3rd-and-long. Or a 3rd-and-short."

            Comment


              #7
              And we've since gotten back suspended and quaratined players at key positions. I like the upward trajectory. I remember not that long ago praying for a statisically "average" defense.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by BAMFSooner View Post
                And we've since gotten back suspended and quaratined players at key positions. I like the upward trajectory. I remember not that long ago praying for a statisically "average" defense.
                I think we all have erased 2018 as much as possible. But I remember wishing the other team would just hurry up and score so Kyler could get back on the field and I could enjoy the game for a while.

                Comment

                Unconfigured Ad Widget

                Collapse

                Go To Top

                Collapse

                Working...
                X
                UA-124223861-1