First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RocketCitySooner View Post

Any improvement in ratings would be temporary at best.
    If fans only watch while their favorite team is in play, then fifty percent would tune out after each round.
    Unless you want to go to double elimination.
    Hmm... Ok, well I haven't checked, but what is the average tv rating for each round of the NCAA March Madness tourney..?
    I assume as you say there should be some drop-off... But shouldn't there as well be an increase in ratings due to "drama"..?

Comment

Any improvement in ratings would be temporary at best.
      If fans only watch while their favorite team is in play, then fifty percent would tune out after each round.
      Unless you want to go to double elimination.
      That's the rub.

Ohio State has a huge fan footprint. Ohio University does not.

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

Hmm... Ok, well I haven't checked, but what is the average tv rating for each round of the NCAA March Madness tourney..?
        I assume as you say there should be some drop-off... But shouldn't there as well be an increase in ratings due to "drama"..?
        It's tricky comparing football and basketball. The point remains that this argument that increasing the size of the CFP would mean more viewers because fans would tune in to watch their favorite teams is less than compelling. After all, and eight team playoff might have more initial viewers but it quickly becomes a four team playoff which is the present status quo. It's like so many of these 'lets expand the playoff' arguments, they ultimately resolve to 'more is better'. Well, perhaps, but make that argument, don't try to manufacture arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

That's the rub.

There's an additional rub. Once tOSU is defeated and drops out, their fans also drop. That's a much bigger impact than losing the Ohio fans.
          Expanding the playoffs makes sense if one is a 'football fanatic' who wants more. There is no rationale limit to 'more'. If four is good, then eight must be better. Why not go to sixteen or thirty-two?
          Personally, once OU football is eliminated, I change channels. I really don't care to watch Alabama play Clemson. My dog will stay on the porch.

FWIW, I couldn't care less about Basketball. Probably comes from my youth when OU was fighting to stay out of the cellar in the Big Eight. In my years in college, I attended one BB game (you could get an all sports ticket then which provided admittance to every sporting event except football. It cost a dollar). My junior year, OU played Duke (IIRC) which was number one at the time. I went to see what a number one team looked like. I left when the score was something like 32-8, very early.

The only real reason to buy an all sports ticket was the wrestling (OU was a national leader then) and, IIRC, one had to buy a football ticket (five home games for $10) to be able to buy an All Sports Ticket ($1). Unless you bought an All Sports ticket, you couldn't buy a ticket to the UT/OU game which was another dollar.

Comment

That's the rub.

There's another problem. As one expands the playoffs, one includes more teams with smaller fan bases. Their addition provides a smaller incremental improvement in ratings. Which will be short lived as those teams are eliminated.

It's one thing for Ohio to be competitive in basketball where a team can be competitive with a team of ten players, and football which requires far more to be competitive.

Comment

There's another problem. As one expands the playoffs, one includes more teams with smaller fan bases. Their addition provides a smaller incremental improvement in ratings. Which will be short lived as those teams are eliminated.

It's one thing for Ohio to be competitive in basketball where a team can be competitive with a team of ten players, and football which requires far more to be competitive.
              It is true.

Villanova versus UConn is not a compelling final MBB game as North Carolina versus UCLA would be. I know the comparisons are tough, but networks don't want Tampa Bay to win the AL over the Yankees for the exact same reasons. Butts in the setas or eyes on the tube.

But they better do something. 2020 we were starved for sports and other distractions, and many were home-bound. You would think it was a recipe for all-time eyes on the screen, but it was the lowest-rated natty in years.

People are burnt out watching Alabama play and we better figure a way to get some parity soon.

Comment

It's tricky comparing football and basketball. The point remains that this argument that increasing the size of the CFP would mean more viewers because fans would tune in to watch their favorite teams is less than compelling. After all, and eight team playoff might have more initial viewers but it quickly becomes a four team playoff which is the present status quo. It's like so many of these 'lets expand the playoff' arguments, they ultimately resolve to 'more is better'. Well, perhaps, but make that argument, don't try to manufacture arguments.
                Well, valid points, but if you extract that as of now, fans of 126 schools have no "fight in the battle" when there are only 4 (arbitrarily) picked teams in CFP...
                If you have a 16 team playoff, well then about 20 to 25 of the top-ranked teams will "pay attention" to games, to see who rounds out the top 16 picked out...

Comment

Well, valid points, but if you extract that as of now, fans of 126 schools have no "fight in the battle" when there are only 4 (arbitrarily) picked teams in CFP...
                  If you have a 16 team playoff, well then about 20 to 25 of the top-ranked teams will "pay attention" to games, to see who rounds out the top 16 picked out...
                  It doesn't matter how large you make the CFP, if you're adding schools with little of no chance of winning. They're one and done and then we're right back to where we are now.

Comment

It doesn't matter how large you make the CFP, if you're adding schools with little of no chance of winning. They're one and done and then we're right back to where we are now.
                    Keeping it as is will not improve parity. Expanding the playoff with some auto bids might help break the recruiting feedback loop over time.

You cant simply view the potential effects of expanding the playoffs in a 1 year incremental change from this year.

"No other teams can compete" lol. No shit...we are trying to change that.

Comment

It is true.

Villanova versus UConn is not a compelling final MBB game as North Carolina versus UCLA would be. I know the comparisons are tough, but networks don't want Tampa Bay to win the AL over the Yankees for the exact same reasons. Butts in the setas or eyes on the tube.

But they better do something. 2020 we were starved for sports and other distractions, and many were home-bound. You would think it was a recipe for all-time eyes on the screen, but it was the lowest-rated natty in years.

People are burnt out watching Alabama play and we better figure a way to get some parity soon.
                      Good Points. Not all realize how important this is. Consider the Orange Bowl. Many think FSU FL would be a perfect match for a bowl in Miami. Miami would hate it. Most attending the game would drive in on game day and leave that night. They might buy one meal. A much better match from Miami's perspective would be Texas Notre Dame. Both fanbases travel well and most would pack the hotels and restaurants for several days.

Comment

The 4 team playoff makes teams like Alabama and Ohio State virtual locks to continue dominating all other programs. The biggest recruiting advantage any team gets is getting in the playoffs year after year and having their players seen on such an exclusive national stage. Alabama and Ohio State are recruiting at unheard of levels that crest a huge gap between them and any other top ten programs.

if your take is why invite teams that have no chance of winning, then we should have just names Alabama the champ and skipped the playoff thing because no teams had a shot against them. And to no one’s surprise they just finished recruiting a class that’s considered best in history. If the playoffs aren’t expanded, we’ll basically see the same teams make it every year due to the recruiting advantage it provides to fuel super teams and widen the gap with withers.

Honestly, I think Cincinnati had as good or better chance to beat Alabama than any playoff team this year because the only real shot to beat Alabama was to hope they just took a team for granted.

Comment

Im glad this tread seems to have moved on. It got really weird there for a second.

Comment

Since the start of the CFP invitational the teams with the most appearances are:

Bama
                            Clemson
                            tOSU
                            OU

Since the start of the CFP invitational those teams have won their conferences this many times:

Bama - 5 out of 7 years (compared to 2 of 7 years leading up to the CFP)
                            Clemson - 6 out of 7 years (compared to 1 of 7 years leading up to the CFP)
                            tOSU - 5 of 7 years (compared to 2 of 7 years leading up to the CFP)
                            OU - 6 of 7 years (compared to 3 of 7 years leading up to the CFP)

Individually can you find another period where each of those teams dominated in that same fashion? Meh....sort of.

Can you find another time when all four dominated their conference at the same time together? Never......not even close.

CFP is a recruiting feedback loop....one that is stronger than anyone had anticipated and it's only exacerbating the loss of parity in the sport.

Fix it or become a Formula 1/Nascar regional sport soon.
                            Last edited by Sooner5030; 02-21-2021, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner5030 View Post

Keeping it as is will not improve parity. Expanding the playoff with some auto bids might help break the recruiting feedback loop over time.

You cant simply view the potential effects of expanding the playoffs in a 1 year incremental change from this year.

"No other teams can compete" lol. No shit...we are trying to change that.
                              First of all recognize that it is impossible to determine the best school in football. Footballs bounce too funny for that. The only thing the CFP is good for is entertainment.

Therefore, if parity is your objective, then do some things that limit the ability of schools to repeat. Here's some ideas that more directly address parity and don't require expanding the playoffs:

1. Term limits for coaches. No more than seven years at the same school.

2. Salary caps for coaches.

3. Limit CRP appearances, no more than three times in five years.

4. Scholarship limits. Now a school can have 85 on scholarship. Reduce that by some number (five to ten) for each consecutive CFP appearance. Restored after some period, maybe three years. (Non-scholarship players are ineligible.) You can walk-on for practice but not for play.
                              Very similar to what was done several years ago to stop coaches like Bryant from stockpiling players just to keep them from his opponents.

5. Limits on assistant coaches or analysts. Or just an athletic department salary cap.

6. Autobids for conference champions. If you don't win your conference, you're ineligible for the CFP.

At large bids are the last thing you'll want. Too often that will become an excuse to ensure Alabama/Clemson/Whatever in the CFP. Just like the guy wanting a six team playoff so Alabama can still be in even if they don't even play in their conference game.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post
                                Im glad this tread seems to have moved on. It got really weird there for a second.
                                Just transferred to another thread. There are some strange birds on the internet.

Comment

There's an additional rub. Once tOSU is defeated and drops out, their fans also drop. That's a much bigger impact than losing the Ohio fans.
                                  Expanding the playoffs makes sense if one is a 'football fanatic' who wants more. There is no rationale limit to 'more'. If four is good, then eight must be better. Why not go to sixteen or thirty-two?
                                  Personally, once OU football is eliminated, I change channels. I really don't care to watch Alabama play Clemson. My dog will stay on the porch.

FWIW, I couldn't care less about Basketball. Probably comes from my youth when OU was fighting to stay out of the cellar in the Big Eight. In my years in college, I attended one BB game (you could get an all sports ticket then which provided admittance to every sporting event except football. It cost a dollar). My junior year, OU played Duke (IIRC) which was number one at the time. I went to see what a number one team looked like. I left when the score was something like 32-8, very early.

The only real reason to buy an all sports ticket was the wrestling (OU was a national leader then) and, IIRC, one had to buy a football ticket (five home games for $10) to be able to buy an All Sports Ticket ($1). Unless you bought an All Sports ticket, you couldn't buy a ticket to the UT/OU game which was another dollar.
                                  And there is the crux - there isn’t that many people in this bucket. Hell, half of us admit we aren’t - and we are literally part of a minute % who actually like CFB enough to be on a message board about it.

Sure espn wants it and pushes it - and not for the love of the game.

But let’s be honest - everything that has tried to be the NFL has failed...XFL, arena, whatever the other one was last year.

there are 3 types of “football appetites” imo:

1. college only fans
                                  2. NFL fans
                                  3. crossover - but most crossover just love football.

the ratings for all have shown 3 is probably the smallest group.

Comment

Originally posted by LongarLongar View Post

And there is the crux - there isn’t that many people in this bucket. Hell, half of us admit we aren’t - and we are literally part of a minute % who actually like CFB enough to be on a message board about it.

Sure espn wants it and pushes it - and not for the love of the game.

But let’s be honest - everything that has tried to be the NFL has failed...XFL, arena, whatever the other one was last year.

there are 3 types of “football appetites” imo:

1. college only fans
                                    2. NFL fans
                                    3. crossover - but most crossover just love football.

the ratings for all have shown 3 is probably the smallest group.
                                    Enjoy Alabama and Ohio State every year. Rest of college football is just conference titles for what they are worth. Bowl season is terrible

Comment

Originally posted by TX Sooner View Post

Enjoy Alabama and Ohio State every year. Rest of college football is just conference titles for what they are worth. Bowl season is terrible
                                      I don’t disagree with you...I just disagree with how we got there.

Comment

The 4 team playoff makes teams like Alabama and Ohio State virtual locks to continue dominating all other programs. The biggest recruiting advantage any team gets is getting in the playoffs year after year and having their players seen on such an exclusive national stage. Alabama and Ohio State are recruiting at unheard of levels that crest a huge gap between them and any other top ten programs.

if your take is why invite teams that have no chance of winning, then we should have just names Alabama the champ and skipped the playoff thing because no teams had a shot against them. And to no one’s surprise they just finished recruiting a class that’s considered best in history. If the playoffs aren’t expanded, we’ll basically see the same teams make it every year due to the recruiting advantage it provides to fuel super teams and widen the gap with withers.

Honestly, I think Cincinnati had as good or better chance to beat Alabama than any playoff team this year because the only real shot to beat Alabama was to hope they just took a team for granted.

Adding body bag schools for the sake of expanding the playoff won't establish parity. In fact, it will only reinforce the belief that champions play for alabama and Clemson. You might take a look at my post #514 for some ideas that would shake up the Alabama/Clemson dynasty.

I could add to #514, reducing the number of schools eligible for the playoffs to, perhaps, 40 or 50 while instituting caps on the number of players/scholarships which would spread the wealth around.

But just adding teams to the playoffs won't help parity.

Comment

Adding body bag schools for the sake of expanding the playoff won't establish parity. In fact, it will only reinforce the belief that champions play for alabama and Clemson. You might take a look at my post #514 for some ideas that would shake up the Alabama/Clemson dynasty.

I could add to #514, reducing the number of schools eligible for the playoffs to, perhaps, 40 or 50 while instituting caps on the number of players/scholarships which would spread the wealth around.

I’m as big a Sooner fan as anyone. Next to Alabama we are a body bag school like everyone else. Alabama just tore three college football like never seen. And now they get the prize of signing the best recruiting class in history. Alabama was already great. 4 team playoff format makes them unbeatable.

And an 8 team playoff is nowhere near a request for parity. It’s giving the best 8 out of 130 a shot to play it out on the field. It’s just freaking 8 teams. The weakest playoff of any pro or college sport in the nation. Leave it as it stands and we’ll watch same teams every single year

Comment

You know what could?

A true NFL developmental league with a connection to the 48 man cap.

I know chicken and egg arguments, but the Bama's of the world are recruiting the best players because they put the most people in the NFL.

Top tier kids want a shot at the NFL.

You make more space for that, say at practice squad salaries, with legit shots to be called into the show, it begins to dilute that logjam at the top.

That impacts smaller schools where a Jackson State has a legit shot at playing SEC schools competitively.

SPOILER I am intimating without saying it waters down academics.

It is basically a proposal to pull the JUCO circuit into the fold

Comment

The only way to determine if one conference is better than another is how they do in OOC play.

And Texas A&M can’t ever even call themselves 2nd best in conference. That honor goes to SEC East champ. Texas A&M is in a terrible sport to ever contend for a national title. The only shot they have is to schedule a string OOC which they rarely do.

This year both USC and Oregon had higher ranked strength of schedule than Texas A&M. I think sometimes people use the tougher conference argument when what they are truly saying is Alabama is just great. Tecas A&M played only two opponents with winning records this year. But they still try to play the “victim of a tough conference” argument. They also use this argument to schedule cupcake OOC.

Conference champs should ALWAYS get playoff priority over so called wild card teams because conference champs almost always have to beat a number of good teams that know them best and win a pressure filled conference championship game
                                              2 problems with your argument - #1 the SEC East champ is not necessarily the 2nd best team in the conference. It is possible that a 6-2 Georgia could win the East with one of the 2 conference losses coming to A&M. #2 Conference champs "always have to beat a number of good teams" to win a conference championship is just not true. The ACC and Pac have shown that. Heck even Oklahoma has shown that in the Big 12 as recently as 2018 when we only played 2 ranked teams all season.

Comment

Originally posted by oklahoma_kracker View Post
                                                We use the BCS formula for seeding. The four highest rated P5 champions are automatically in, the next four highest rated teams (P5 or not) are eligible to be used as the two remaining teams, as selected by a committee. The two highest rated teams (automatic berth or not, it doesn't matter) get a bye. #'s 3 and 4 host #'s 6 and 5 respectively at their home stadiums for the first round two weeks after CCG weekend. Then we let the four remaining teams play out just like we're doing now.

The only deviation is if one conference has two teams in this top 6, and in that case they have to play each other in the first round, even if one of those teams is the #1 overall seed (the bye is given to #'s 2 and 3 in that case) to ensure we don't end up with any group manipulating who plays for a title any longer. Settle it on the field.
                                                I could get on board with this.

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

2 problems with your argument - #1 the SEC East champ is not necessarily the 2nd best team in the conference. It is possible that a 6-2 Georgia could win the East with one of the 2 conference losses coming to A&M. #2 Conference champs "always have to beat a number of good teams" to win a conference championship is just not true. The ACC and Pac have shown that. Heck even Oklahoma has shown that in the Big 12 as recently as 2018 when we only played 2 ranked teams all season.
                                                  That's okay too.

It is often about the hottest team going into the playoffs

Comment

That's okay too.

It is often about the hottest team going into the playoffs
                                                    I don't want the "hottest" teams in the playoffs. I want the BEST teams in the playoffs. 2 seasons ago Tennessee started 1-4 but had the nation's longest winning streak winning 7 consecutive games at the end of the season. They were the "hottest" team in the country. Did they belong in the playoffs? Hell no.

Comment

I don't want the "hottest" teams in the playoffs. I want the BEST teams in the playoffs. 2 seasons ago Tennessee started 1-4 but had the nation's longest winning streak winning 7 consecutive games at the end of the season. They were the "hottest" team in the country. Did they belong in the playoffs? Hell no.
                                                      That is usually the way it works out, but not always.

Was ISU "better" than OU last year, despite OU dropping the first game?

No.

But had they won the 2nd game and with these models, they would have been in the CFB playoffs.

Once they are in, anything can happen.

Comment

SEC East champ is always #2. They did what they had to do to get in an actual meaningful game. If you argue against this then you’re argument is against the ridiculous nature of the SEC. The SEC is the largest conference in the nation but the Big XII plays more conference games while the SEC feels the need to schedule 2 FCS opponents rather than conference opponents. Iowa State plays more ranked teams each and every year than Texas A&M. Aggies case is primarily that they had a great loss to Alabama every year. It’s never about quality of their wins.

Can we stop ever considering A&M a contender? Can they ever be good enough to win just any conference title. Can’t in Big XII. Can’t in SEC. Does anyone with a brain think they could beat Clemson in the ACC or Ohio State in the Big Ten? Maybe they could possibly win a Pac 12 title, but I doubt it. Conference champs are the players in this game, not teams that say they are great based on who they lose to.
                                                        Last edited by TX Sooner; 02-22-2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

That is usually the way it works out, but not always.

Was ISU "better" than OU last year, despite OU dropping the first game?

No.

But had they won the 2nd game and with these models, they would have been in the CFB playoffs.

Once they are in, anything can happen.
                                                          so, you feel like OU should have been in the playoffs, BUT if ISU had beaten them twice they shouldn’t have been qualified?

Comment

so, you feel like OU should have been in the playoffs, BUT if ISU had beaten them twice they shouldn’t have been qualified?

Not really, not with two bad losses.

We see teams like OU last year that drop a game or two early, figure it out and really come.on strong in the end of the season.

We have also seen teams that may not lose but start to really struggle and flounder,, limping to the finish line.

My response was just at that point who is the "better" team at end of season?

Comment

SEC East champ is always #2. They did what they had to do to get in an actual meaningful game. If you argue against this then you’re argument is against the ridiculous nature of the SEC. The SEC is the largest conference in the nation but the Big XII plays more conference games while the SEC feels the need to schedule 2 FCS opponents rather than conference opponents. Iowa State plays more ranked teams each and every year than Texas A&M. Aggies case is primarily that they had a great loss to Alabama every year. It’s never about quality of their wins.

Can we stop ever considering A&M a contender? Can they ever be good enough to win just any conference title. Can’t in Big XII. Can’t in SEC. Does anyone with a brain think they could beat Clemson in the ACC or Ohio State in the Big Ten? Maybe they could possibly win a Pac 12 title, but I doubt it. Conference champs are the players in this game, not teams that say they are great based on who they lose to.
                                                              The SEC is NOT the biggest conference in the country. The ACC and the BIG 10 each have 14 teams as well and really the ACC has 15, with the relationship with Notre Dame. Secondly, Iowa State RARELY ever plays more ranked teams than Texas A&M does. And third, just because you win your division does NOT make you the 2nd best team in the conference. Does anyone think Missouri was the SECOND best team in the Big 12 in 2008 when OU, Texas and Texas Tech were all in the Top 5? Did YOU? Of course not.

Comment

BCS system
                                                                8 teams
                                                                No byes
                                                                Auto-qualifier the 5 P5 Conf Champs
                                                                Auto-qualifier the highest G5 rated team if they're in Top 12.
                                                                2 At large
                                                                Home games for 1-4

Peace for our time.

Comment

This is the exact reason the NCAA basketball tournament is loved by all. The hottest teams deserve their shot. Same in the NFL - teams can start slow, and peaking in the right part of the season gets them far. Look at Tampa this year. The reason for expansion to 8 would be to allow those hot teams get their shot.

Comment

What if the CFP expanded to the point of having regionals..? Let's say there are 4 teams in each region (16 total)...

East -
                                                                    #1 Ohio State
                                                                    (vs)
                                                                    #4 Boise State

#2 Clemson
                                                                    (vs)
                                                                    #3 Appalachian State

Midwest -
                                                                    #1 Wisconsin
                                                                    (vs)
                                                                    #4 UCF

#2 Notre Dame
                                                                    (vs)
                                                                    #3 Syracuse

South -
                                                                    #1 Alabama
                                                                    (vs)
                                                                    #4 Florida State

#2 Texas
                                                                    (vs)
                                                                    #3 North Carolina

West -
                                                                    #1 Oklahoma
                                                                    (vs)
                                                                    #4 Oregon

#2 USC
                                                                    (vs)
                                                                    ​​​​​​​#3 Nebraska

What if the CFP expanded to the point of having regionals..? Let's say there are 4 teams in each region (16 total)... [Even G5 gets a slot]...

You could wind up with, 2nd round CFP matches as: Oklahoma-Nebraska/ Texas-Alabama/Notre Dame-Wisconsin/ Ohio State-Clemson...
                                                                    Well now you went and added 10 teams that didn’t deserve to be there.....6 is the correct number. P5 champs and best non-P5....done.

Comment

I agree. So how do we determine beyond a shadow of a doubt who are the best teams that are fit to compete for a national championship?

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBurglar View Post

I agree. So how do we determine beyond a shadow of a doubt who are the best teams that are fit to compete for a national championship?
                                                                        You are kidding, right ?

Comment

Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post

Well now you went and added 10 teams that didn’t deserve to be there.....6 is the correct number. P5 champs and best non-P5....done.
                                                                          That leaves 124 teams w/o an interest in CFP finals, expand to 16 at least top 20/ 25 (out of 130 teams) will pay attention going into the last weekend polls...

Comment

Can we just use the preseason polls and save us all a bunch of time?

No point in playing the games based on “who is hottest” and “what about” all over the place.

Comment

Can we just use the preseason polls and save us all a bunch of time?

No point in playing the games based on “who is hottest” and “what about” all over the place.
                                                                              That what happens now anyway

Comment

Your arguments are shaded through this lens. There are college football fans and then there are college football fans. Those that love the game and will watch as much as they can until they can't, then those, like yourself, that only care about their team. I'd say there are less fans like you and more fans like me, when if comes to college football.

I disagree that many fans quit watching once their team is done.

Comment

You are kidding, right ?
                                                                                  I was responding to him wanting "the best" teams. Was curious how we can say with certainty who are the best teams. Some guys sitting around a room in all their wisdom determining who is the best just isn't good enough.

Disclaimer - I'm not a fan of a playoff in NCAA Football without a complete reconstruction of the system as we know it. Which IMO would ruin the game.

Comment

Originally posted by eightisgreat View Post

Your arguments are shaded through this lens. There are college football fans and then there are college football fans. Those that love the game and will watch as much as they can until they can't, then those, like yourself, that only care about their team. I'd say there are less fans like you and more fans like me, when if comes to college football.

The ratings disagree with this assertion though.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBurglar View Post

I was responding to him wanting "the best" teams. Was curious how we can say with certainty who are the best teams. Some guys sitting around a room in all their wisdom determining who is the best just isn't good enough.

Disclaimer - I'm not a fan of a playoff in NCAA Football without a complete reconstruction of the system as we know it. Which IMO would ruin the game.
                                                                                      This is my take as well.

When we throw out the actual body of work to “pick”, like happened this year, the system is trash.

Comment

This is my take as well.

When we throw out the actual body of work to “pick”, like happened this year, the system is trash.
                                                                                        What body of work was "thrown out" this past season?

Comment

This is my take as well.

I'd say this last season should not be used as a benchmark, precedence, or a reason to point to for any sort of change. It was so far off the rails, it should be thrown out.

Comment

What body of work was "thrown out" this past season?
                                                                                            Ohio State?
                                                                                            A&M?
                                                                                            Coastal?
                                                                                            Cinci?

You have people in jere clamoring for OU to have been in, but if Iowa State beat us twice, they shouldn’t have been.

Comment

Originally posted by eightisgreat View Post

One of the arguments for expanding the playoffs is increasing the number of teams will increase the viewers.
                                                                                              If you believe that then you also have to believe that viewership will drop as teams are eliminated.
                                                                                              Each round sees a fifty percent drop in the number of teams still in the chase.
                                                                                              If CFP is expanded to eight teams, after the first round, you're back to where we are now, four teams.

Comment

Ohio State?
                                                                                                A&M?
                                                                                                Coastal?
                                                                                                Cinci?

You have people in jere clamoring for OU to have been in, but if Iowa State beat us twice, they shouldn’t have been.
                                                                                                Coastal played in a weak conference and had ONE win against a ranked team (BYU, whose schedule was also marginal at best). Cincinnati had ONE win against a team that ended ranked, played in a weak conference. A&M had a legitimate argument and there was a legitimate argument against Ohio State getting in, but it is RIDICULOUS to think that Coastal or Cincinnati had an argument based on the schedules they played.

Comment

Coastal played in a weak conference and had ONE win against a ranked team (BYU, whose schedule was also marginal at best). Cincinnati had ONE win against a team that ended ranked, played in a weak conference. A&M had a legitimate argument and there was a legitimate argument against Ohio State getting in, but it is RIDICULOUS to think that Coastal or Cincinnati had an argument based on the schedules they played.
                                                                                                  So you felt Ohio States meager body of work outweighs what those teams actually did?

what about Notre Dame? Were they more qualified than A&M?

Truth is (and as an SEC Homer I expected you to realize this), there is no “P5”, there is top half of SEC, OU, Clemson, Ohio State.

Top teams in PAC “can” sometimes be considered.

but outside of those teams, Coastal, BYU, and Cinci (last year) would have been competitive in any of those. And there are examples every year of this.

you want to ding BYU for losing...they took a fucking game same week and traveled across the country to play on a FRIDAY night. They would have won the PAC12 this year if they were in it.

Comment

So you felt Ohio States meager body of work outweighs what those teams actually did?

what about Notre Dame? Were they more qualified than A&M?

Truth is (and as an SEC Homer I expected you to realize this), there is no “P5”, there is top half of SEC, OU, Clemson, Ohio State.

Top teams in PAC “can” sometimes be considered.

but outside of those teams, Coastal, BYU, and Cinci (last year) would have been competitive in any of those. And there are examples every year of this.

you want to ding BYU for losing...they took a fucking game same week and traveled across the country to play on a FRIDAY night. They would have won the PAC12 this year if they were in it.
                                                                                                    They also were asked by Washington to come play them when Washington had a cancellation and they turned them down. Everyone seems to forget that. BYU picked the path of least resistance in order to get a gaudy won-loss record that didn't mean a thing.

Comment

A&M beat 2 teams with a winning record; Florida and Auburn. I'm not sure how having the 7 worst teams in the SEC on your schedule makes you legitimate but Cincinnati beating 5 teams with a winning record isn't on par in a year with no one able to see non-conference games.

After how Cincinnati played with Georgia, I'd guess they would have beaten Texas A&M.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1