Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas BMD’s in Email Leak: “The tail cannot be allowed to wag the dog”

Many gems in those emails, but some of the best (worst):

"It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

"Less than 6% of our current student body is black," wrote Larry Wilkinson, a donor who graduated in 1970, quoting a statistic UT-Austin officials have stated they’re working to improve. "The tail cannot be allowed to wag the dog….. and the dog must instead stand up for what is right. Nothing forces those students to attend UT Austin. Encourage them to select an alternate school ….NOW!"

Full article: https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03...donors-emails/

"My wife and I have given an endowment in excess of $1 million to athletics. This could very easily be rescinded if things don’t drastically change around here," wrote one donor in October. His name was redacted by UT-Austin, citing open records laws that protect certain donor identities. "Has everyone become oblivious of who supports athletics??"

Hartzell had already publicly stated the university would keep the song, but hundreds of emails obtained through public records requests show that decision didn’t quell the furor among some of the most ardent supporters of "The Eyes."

From June to late October, over 70% of the nearly 300 people who emailed Hartzell’s office about "The Eyes" demanded the school keep playing it. Around 75 people in emails explicitly threatened to stop supporting the school financially, calling on the university to take a heavier hand with students and athletes they believed were disrespecting university tradition by protesting it.

The Eyes of Texas is non-negotiable," wrote another graduate who said they’ve had season tickets since 1990 and whose name was redacted by the university. "If it is not kept and fully embraced, I will not be donating any additional money to athletics or the university or attending any events."

This month, a university committee formed to document the song’s history is expected to release its highly anticipated report, likely reigniting the debate within the school community.

While those who emailed represent a fraction of the more than 540,000 UT-Austin alumni, their threats had some university fundraisers sounding the alarms.

"[Alumni] are pulling planned gifts, canceling donations, walking away from causes and programs that have been their passion for years, even decades and turning away in disgust. Last night one texted me at 1:00 am, trying to find a way to revoke a 7-figure donation," President of the Longhorn Alumni Band Charitable Fund Board of Trustees Kent Kostka wrote to a group of administrators, including Hartzell. "This is not hyperbole or exaggeration. Real damage is being done every day by the ongoing silence."

Alumni and donors threatened to cancel season tickets, end donations and boycott games. They complained that Hartzell was not forcefully defending the song and school traditions enough, accusing him of cowing to political correctness.

"It is disgraceful to see the lack of unity and our fiercest competitor Sam E[h]linger standing nearly alone," wrote one graduate whose name was also redacted by the university to protect the identity of a donor. "It is symbolic of the disarray of this football program which you inherited. The critical race theory garbage that has been embraced by the football program and the university is doing massive irreparable damage."

Among the donors who reached out was billionaire businessman and alumnus Bob Rowling, whose holding company owns Omni Hotels and previously owned Gold’s Gym and whose name graces a building within the McCombs School of Business.

I am not advising you or taking any position regarding this issue right now, other than to say 'The Eyes' needs to be our song," Rowling wrote to Hartzell. "I AM wanting you to be aware of the 'talk about town' regarding UT. There are a lot of folks on this email chain who love UT and are in positions of influence."

Learn from the past

Hartzell was explicit in July that "The Eyes of Texas" would remain a university tradition, but said the entire school community must try to understand its origins.

"'The Eyes of Texas' should not only unite us, but hold all of us accountable to our institution’s core values. But we first must own the history," Hartzell said in a July letter to the university community.

Commitment to the song has been echoed by the Board of Regents and by Steve Sarkisian, the new football coach who was hired in January.

From the start, Sarkisian signaled he would take a different approach than former coach Tom Herman, who said he would respect players who did not want to stay to sing the song.

"I know this much," Sarkisian said, "'The Eyes of Texas' is our school song. We're going to sing that song. We're going to sing that proudly."

Criticism about the song has percolated for years, but this summer as protests swept cities across the nation over police brutality against Black people in the aftermath of George Floyd's death, students demanded universities shed relics of the past that memorialize racist figures.

Before the season started, student athletes threatened to stop showing up at donor events if the university didn't take action and many players left the field when "The Eyes" started playing after the first two home games of the season. In September, students started a petition to boycott the song coinciding with a social media campaign called "Rewrite, not Reclaim."

"If something offends a certain demographic of people, and they've been outspoken about it, and they have every right to be offended by it, I think we should be listening to them," said Madison Morris, a freshman who is part of the Longhorn Athletic Agency within UT-Austin student government.

It's time for you to put the foot down and make it perfectly clear that the heritage of Texas will not be lost," wrote another donor who graduated in 1986. Their name was also redacted by UT-Austin. "It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

At least two people argued that because the Black student population at UT-Austin is small, their voices should not outweigh the larger wishes of the alumni base.

Less than 6% of our current student body is black," wrote Larry Wilkinson, a donor who graduated in 1970, quoting a statistic UT-Austin officials have stated they’re working to improve. "The tail cannot be allowed to wag the dog….. and the dog must instead stand up for what is right. Nothing forces those students to attend UT Austin. Encourage them to select an alternate school ….NOW!"

Wilkinson reiterated his opinions in an interview with the Tribune. "Everything in life all comes back to money," he said. He said he did not get a personal response to his email from Hartzell, only a generic message that said the song would remain.
    Trial by fire

The controversy of "The Eyes" has been a trial by fire of sorts for Hartzell, who started as interim president in April and was officially offered the job in September.

In an interview with the Tribune and follow up emails last fall, Hartzell acknowledged the fierce debate the song had created.

Hartzell would not say whether donors played a role in his decision to keep the song, but emails show that staffers in his office closely monitored and tallied the messages from people weighing in on the song.

"Went through the [Eyes of Texas]-themed mail inbox again this morning," Gary Susswein, former chief communications officer, wrote to Hartzell and his deputy, Nancy Brazzil, in mid-October. "Nearly 100 percent support for the Eyes of Texas."

After Hartzell sent out a letter announcing the creation of the committee to study "The Eyes," Susswein also documented the reaction on social media.

"Opponents of the song worry the upcoming work will amount to only a justification for keeping 'The Eyes' intact," Susswein wrote. "Those who favor the song say they’ll continue singing it regardless of what the university may decide."

Recently, Texas A&M University examined what the impact on donations could be if they removed a campus statue of a former university president and Confederate general, Lawrence Sullivan Ross. The university has been embroiled in similarly tense debate over the monument there.According to the report, interviews with fundraising groups at Texas A&M found that the university could expect a short-term drop, but long-term fundraising would likely remain unaffected.

A UT-Austin spokesperson said they have not done a similar review.

Meanwhile, Hartzell has skillfully avoided sharing his personal opinions on "The Eyes" in interviews. But in emails, he shared his feelings that the raging debate had been weighing on him.

"I woke up yesterday, and my dog had pooped on my kitchen floor," he responded to a friendly alumnus who emailed him applauding his leadership during the firestorm. "I thought that was a metaphor for my week!"

Emails show the issue privately consumed the president’s office, even as school was reopening during a pandemic.

When an email from a UT-Austin parent sharing her son’s mental health issues appeared to go unintentionally unanswered, a student affairs employee asked if Hartzell’s office wanted to respond directly. But the president’s office declined.

"If you think we can help [redacted], then please proceed," wrote Geoff Leavenworth, a former communications director at UT-Austin who was hired temporarily to help the office with correspondence this fall. "I'm afraid The Eyes of Texas issue is requiring a lot of bandwidth right now."
    Cancel culture

In one email chain, alumnus Trey Hoffman circulated a letter in support of keeping the song which garnered 257 signatures. He also shared criticism and worries about the committee tapped to review the history of "The Eyes of Texas," headed by Reddick. The email contained a large photograph of Reddick, who is Black.

"This professor is in charge of the team/ that tells us whether the song is racist or not? His Twitter account is filled with race baiting and cry baby [Black Lives Matter] junk," the caption below the photo read. "UT better get it together and use its brains, not this biased 'victim' professor at UT!"

Hoffman’s email was flagged for Hartzell’s attention noting his history of donations to the school.

"His opinions are uninformed and inaccurate," wrote Scott Rabenold, vice president of development, who pointed out Hoffman has donated $70,000 to Longhorn athletics. "But his message is/will resonating."

When reached for comment, Hoffman walked back his criticism of Reddick. He said he didn’t author the comments in his email criticizing Reddick, but did copy them from a post he saw online.

"I happen to believe that Professor Reddick is a long time supporter of UT and its traditions," he said. "While his committee has not completed its report, I am hopeful that they will produce a positive outcome that everyone can live with."

Emails show other alumni argued the committee promoted "Marxist ideology" and called it a product of "cancel culture." Multiple alumni who emailed the university called students "snowflakes," a term made popular by the alt-right to criticize progressives they think are too sensitive.

Nearly a dozen emails questioned whether conservative voices would be represented on the committee and accused the university of silencing non-liberal students on campus.

"I truly hope that you value diversity of opinion...but if you are similar to today's academia you will shut down conservative viewpoints and true facts,"wrote one alumni identified as Myers, who called themselves a "disgusted alumni" from the class of 1984. "I do not support UT anymore (even though my family has 3 generations of graduates) because it has become a bastion of far liberal indoctrination and only teaches one point of view...liberalism. Sorry, but it is clear at UT that the white male is totally screwed unless you are 'woke'."

In an interview, Reddick said he’s mostly received support and encouragement from people over the committee’s work, but said he was prepared for the split opinions.

"I do public scholarship all the time. I'm used to people having strong opinions about what's done, and I'm used to people maybe not really approaching with open minds," he said. "But this is a collective effort. It’s not the work of Rich Reddick. It's the work of the 25 people in our community. And we stand behind the work that we do."

While the vast majority of those who emailed pleaded with UT-Austin to keep the song, a small handful of alumni urged the president to get rid of the alma mater, with a few threatening to pull donations unless the song went away.

And some creative alumni suggested simply rewriting the lyrics to the disputed song.

Alumnus Ken Knowles suggested renaming the song to "The Might of Texas."

He submitted the lyrics: "The Might of Texas is upon you/Hail the Orange and White/ The might of Texas is upon you/Together we will fight."

Another alumna and her grandmotheralso submitted revised lyrics which included a new second stanza, "Do your best to be a Texan — From night till early in the morn! The skies of Texas are above you, Till Gabriel blows his horn!"

Comment

Fuck Texas!

Comment

Something I learned a long time ago...don’t ever put something in writing you don’t want read back to you.

Comment

Sark said, in an interview on 1310 The Ticket in Dallas last week, that everyone will sing the song.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomSoon2016 View Post
            Many gems in those emails, but some of the best (worst):

"It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

"Less than 6% of our current student body is black," wrote Larry Wilkinson, a donor who graduated in 1970, quoting a statistic UT-Austin officials have stated they’re working to improve. "The tail cannot be allowed to wag the dog….. and the dog must instead stand up for what is right. Nothing forces those students to attend UT Austin. Encourage them to select an alternate school ….NOW!"

Full article: https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03...donors-emails/

Commitment to the song has been echoed by the Board of Regents and by Steve Sarkisian, the new football coach who was hired in January.

From the start, Sarkisian signaled he would take a different approach than former coach Tom Herman, who said he would respect players who did not want to stay to sing the song.

"I know this much," Sarkisian said, "'The Eyes of Texas' is our school song. We're going to sing that song. We're going to sing that proudly."

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

That was my immediate thought when I read the article haha sark gotta be drinking heavily! What do you bet Urban saw these, and thought “walking away now”
              Last edited by BoomSoon2016; 03-01-2021, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Leave it to a UT BMD to find a way to respond to a stupid outrage with something way stupider.

Comment

That was my immediate thought when I read the article haha sark gotta be drinking heavily! What do you bet Urban saw these, and thought “walking away now”
                  That & the fact the big donors, etc refuse to give up control of the program to the head coach.

Comment

Sark chose a side because he knew he would be asked by BMD's.

Now, he has to go into the home of recruits and explain this:

PS: The ad hominem attacks have already started.

Comment

Comment

Sark chose a side because he knew he would be asked by BMD's.

Now, he has to go into the home of recruits and explain this:

PS: The ad hominem attacks have already started.
                        Between a rock and a hard place is no place for a recovering alcoholic.

I’m sure Jimbo and others are licking their chops right now. Sark also has to keep current locker room on board and focused

Comment

Agree with everything the Texas donors wrote, let's hope for the sake of the country this is a fight they win. Universities have been nothing but Spivak regurgitators for 30 years.

Comment

Between a rock and a hard place is no place for a recovering alcoholic.

I’m sure Jimbo and others are licking their chops right now. Sark also has to keep current locker room on board and focused
                            Jimbo may be licking their chops, but if you want to see a campus that has a reckoning with racist history coming, A&M is #2 on the list behind Ole Miss.

It all depend's on how you handle it as a leader of the team

SPOILER

Comment

Jimbo may be licking their chops, but if you want to see a campus that has a reckoning with racist history coming, A&M is #2 on the list behind Ole Miss.

SPOILER
                              Gag. All based on lies. I'd probably pretend to believe that tripe too if the state was paying me $6M/year. Lincoln's too high IQ to not actually know the statistics and numbers, but like every other person enriched by the system he'll pretend blacks actually face any kind of oppression besides that of their own making.

Comment

Many of our nations university's have become cesspools in their quest to advance various political and social agendas. They have oftentimes become places that are detached from the norm's of society. Equality for all under our written laws and our finest traditions are often not respected, unless you fit into one of the correct identity groups.
                                We also increasingly see identity groups widely being used to divide us in our public schools.

Most people disagree with this in silence............... but its completely understandable that increasingly larger numbers of people would withdraw their support for a system like this, particularly when there is a long list of other reasons included, like the tax law changes.
                                It would be a mistake to believe the withdraw of support is unique to UT.

Comment

Love watch’n shit burn in saxet!

Comment

Originally posted by hammers2bones View Post
                                    Stupid Shit belongs in the dome.
                                    Originally posted by OU48A View Post
                                    More stupid shit that belongs in the Dome.

Comment

I have a feeling that if this particular BMD line of thought were taken to its apparent & ultimate conclusion, the result on the field would not be a repeat of the 1969 horns season.

Comment

I would like to make what's wrong stop but in this case people and their money might help turn the worm.

Comment

How ironic is it that a BMD is complaining about a minority wagging the dog. The BMDs have been doing that for decades and it’s why Texas has so many problems with success.

Comment

:(
                                            :
                                            While i disagree with both of you, that wasn't the point. please start a thread under the dome

Comment

While i disagree with both of you, that wasn't the point. please start a thread under the dome
                                              Find a kleenex yet? Wipe your ass or your face, in whichever order you please.

Comment

That's where this should be moved....I do not know what you want.... but I want an equal playing field for everyone based on an individual ability's and not outcomes where what group you are in puts you at the head of the line. That's a system that will fail everyone....eventually.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                  For sure, but you’re correct: it’s all about how it’s handled by leadership. aTm players seem to feel like their voices were heard, and as of now it’s a non-issue there.

Texas BMDs screwed the pooch by fighting this so publicly & adamantly. Had they let leadership handle it, might be in a similar place as aTm, and anger against ‘Eyes of Texas’ might have subsided as news cycle shifted to something else

Comment

“The blacks.”

Lol. The easiest tell that somebody has no black friends. Or even acquaintances.

Comment

Texas BMDs screwed the pooch by fighting this so publicly & adamantly. Had they let leadership handle it, might be in a similar place as aTm, and anger against ‘Eyes of Texas’ might have subsided as news cycle shifted to something else
                                                      Whatever you do, don't fight against it, and certainly not publicly. Don't stand up for your history or your culture or your people - you're not allowed to do that, only certain groups are allowed to have that kind of consciousness.

Do you people even hear yourselves?

I get that you're gleeful that the University of Texas is in disarray, but are there any men of principle left?

Comment

Whatever you do, don't fight against it, and certainly not publicly. Don't stand up for your history or your culture or your people - you're not allowed to do that, only certain groups are allowed to have that kind of consciousness.

Do you people even hear yourselves?
                                                        What do you mean by “you people”?

Comment

I see the Q snowflakes are out in force today...

Comment

That's where this should be moved....I do not know what you want.... but I want an equal playing field for everyone based on an individual ability's and not outcomes where what group you are in puts you at the head of the line. That's a system that will fail everyone....eventually.
                                                            Point of this thread was the chaos and disruption at UT football, because BMD’s continually kneecap their head coach. Let’s keep focus on ‘Prime example of why Sark won’t be more successful than Herman or Strong’ instead of a discussion of race/social issues within universities.

Yesterday, Texas Twitter was bragging about how they think they’re dominating us, and will challenge Bama in recruiting. This story doesn’t help their case

Comment

Originally posted by LongarLongar View Post

Dalit

Comment

Point of this thread was the chaos and disruption at UT football, because BMD’s continually kneecap their head coach. Let’s keep focus on ‘Prime example of why Sark won’t be more successful than Herman or Strong’ instead of a discussion of race/social issues within universities.Yesterday, Texas Twitter was bragging about how they think they’re dominating us, and will challenge Bama in recruiting. This story doesn’t help their case
                                                                No, no. What's the fun of that?

SPOILERSPOILER Let's instead show them how racist a fan base can really be. in an OPEN FUCKING BOARD

Comment

Point of this thread was the chaos and disruption at UT football, because BMD’s continually kneecap their head coach. Let’s keep focus on ‘Prime example of why Sark won’t be more successful than Herman or Strong’ instead of a discussion of race/social issues within universities.

Yesterday, Texas Twitter was bragging about how they think they’re dominating us, and will challenge Bama in recruiting. This story doesn’t help their case

That's fine...most of the chaos and disruption at UT football is a good deal IMHO....

but it would be very short sighted to not understand that this same thing is going on on many campuses including OU to some undetermined degree...we just haven't seen the emails.

Comment

What the hell is a BMD?

Comment

No, no. What's the fun of that?

SPOILERSPOILER Let's instead show them how racist a fan base can really be. in an OPEN FUCKING BOARD
                                                                      Truth isn't racist, my man. I can post the numbers. Don't make me. I made a few broad and true statements that your panties got wadded up about for reasons of which we're all aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
                                                                        What the hell is a BMD?
                                                                        Big Money Donors - the folks who have suites, buildings, etc named after them

Comment

Big Money Donors - the folks who have suites, buildings, etc named after them
                                                                          Thank you, now some of this makes sense.

Comment

This is kind of where the “rubber hits the road” and it will be interesting to watch.*

*don’t ask the NBA though, because they really affected those that actually watch.

Comment

#39
                                                                              I also agree with the donor. All of the "blacks" should go to other schools. Let them field an all white team. lol. Fuck Texas. Somebody needs to send this to everyone they're recruiting.

Comment

#40

amen....

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Oblivious.
                                                                                  Seriously?

SPOILER Fuck stick. Let me be clear.

I CARE ABOUT OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL.

I PARTICULARLY CARE ABOUT OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL WHEN IT COMES AT THE EXPENSE OF TEXAS.

I DONT CARE ABOUT WHATEVER ASPECT OF THE TOPIC YOU INSIST ON DISCUSSING.

Wanna be pro whatever or anti-whatever, knock yourself out.

This is a football-centric board and this is a FOOTBALL thread.

We begged ChpThril for a Dome, because we knew in large part that shit like this will eventually find its way to the open board.

Believe it or not, recruits, their families, and their friends actually take the time to read our drivel.

Please take your opinions on race to the appropriate thread. In fact, start your own thread on it.

Comment

#42

my guess is the liberal snowflakes (of ALL races)....it's cool for blacks/Hispanics/Asians etc to be "proud" of their heritage and customs but as soon as a "white" person does it it's bad. So obvious...

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by PowerPower View Post
                                                                                      “The blacks.”

Lol. The easiest tell that somebody has no black friends. Or even acquaintances.
                                                                                      lol back at ya. I have many "black" friends...taught 30 yrs in predominately black/hispanic schools. How do you want to refer to black people? I don't use "african-american" because very few are anymore AA than I am german-american.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        . . . it would be very short sighted to not understand that this same thing is going on on many campuses including OU to some undetermined degree...we just haven't seen the emails.
                                                                                        OU got called out on the inherent racism of allowing a Native American student to roam the sidelines in authentic dress and dance, aka Little Red, in 1970 so we are fortunate to have dealt with this a long time ago.

Though many fans were unhappy with the first iteration of the Sooner Schooner pony mascots, the so-called horse pigs, no one can rightfully claim that they are any kind of ethnic or racial stereotype.

Watching the UT administration and athletic department deal with the problem some have with "The Eyes of Texas" has been quite amusing.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          don’t ever put something in writing you don’t want read back to you.
                                                                                          Can we retitle the entire damn thread this for those who missed the wisdom

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Alumnus Ken Knowles suggested renaming the song to "The Might of Texas."

He submitted the lyrics: "The Might of Texas is upon you...

very intimidating
                                                                                            hahahahahahaha

Maybe they should go with "The White of Texas"?

Comment

#47

Can we retitle the entire damn thread this for those who missed the wisdom
                                                                                              Agreed. Can I edit thread title or does it need to be a mod?

Comment

#48
                                                                                                I'm shocked and appaled but not surprised, all at the same time. Wow.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post
                                                                                                  What the hell is a BMD?
                                                                                                  Not you...or you'd know.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    My wife & many of our friends are Black UT alums. This is really disgusting. I don't think this problem is unique to Texas but it certainly hits closer to home. One more reason to hate those goofballs.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1