First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LongarLongar View Post

Nah, the band kids are even easier to replace than football players.
    It would be a very bad look if they kicked kids out of the band for refusing to play the song. But I think RFE is right - they'll play a recorded version of it.

Originally posted by cloudy View Post

Austin sports radio guys were trying to make the same point about all the new money in Austin.

Spoiler alert: Elon Musk don't give a fuck about college football.
    Maybe not, but he has ties to the university and the Austin community now, and presumably some of his many children will be raised there. He will be a donor to the university itself if not the football team.

His employees will also raise their kids there, send them to UT, and follow he team. Some of his employees will become donors themselves. And they are all very woke.

The next generation of BMDs will be far more woke than the current. Eventually the tradition will be discarded, and the silly song will never be heard again.
    Live Free or Die!

Comment

Opinion from USA today

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nt/4642339001/

Comment

Texas can not erase it's legacy, song or no song.

https://thestacks.deadspin.com/at-th...rac-1493244857

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Man View Post
          Texas can not erase it's legacy, song or no song.

A live look at the administrative offices of rhe University of Alabama

Comment

Here is what to expect come football season, singing TEoT alongside the team members who have chosen to serenade the student section will be certain former Texas football players.

UT might even pay former players a fee to attend games, all on the downlow of course, just so long as they make themselves visible at the end of the game.

Vince Young will likely be in the throng since this could be one of his official duties as a UT employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi++y_Shi+bird View Post
              Vince Young will likely be in the throng since this could be one of his official duties as a UT employee.
              Assistant to the Assistant AD.
              Last edited by RockFlagandEagle; 03-10-2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

It would be a very bad look if they kicked kids out of the band for refusing to play the song. But I think RFE is right - they'll play a recorded version of it.

Maybe not, but he has ties to the university and the Austin community now, and presumably some of his many children will be raised there. He will be a donor to the university itself if not the football team.

His employees will also raise their kids there, send them to UT, and follow he team. Some of his employees will become donors themselves. And they are all very woke.

The next generation of BMDs will be far more woke than the current. Eventually the tradition will be discarded, and the silly song will never be heard again.
                Kids get kicked out of the band all the time, there are plenttttty yo fill those spots - it only takes a few for the rest to catch on.

Plenty of kids don’t give a fuck enough and recognize what they are getting from UT to play regardless of if they think the song is racist or not. Just ask Kaep how the NFL is surviving without him.

and you vastly overstate Musk’s pull and effect.

Comment

Looking forward to the Rice M.O.B.'s take on all this when they visit Austin September 18th...

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Assistant to the Assistant AD.
                    Assistant to the Assistant Already Drinking.

Comment

1. Handout kazoos to every Sooner fan at The Shootout
                      2. Any bonehead play by Texas, OU fans play the first part of The Eyes of Texas as poorly and sarcastically as possible
                      3. Make them hate their own song as much as Boomer Sooner
                      5. Profit

Comment

Originally posted by Lazers pew pew pew View Post
                        1. Handout kazoos to every Sooner fan at The Shootout
                        2. Any bonehead play by Texas, OU fans play the first part of The Eyes of Texas as poorly and sarcastically as possible
                        3. Make them hate their own song as much as Boomer Sooner
                        5. Profit
                        When I went thru Army Special Forces Basic, they made us sing "The Ballad of the Green Berets" at the start of the day's training and before every class. The instructors wanted us to hate that song as much as they did.

Comment

https://www.partycheap.com/Assorted-...kg-p/n3964.htm

45,000 kazoos to be sure
                          45k÷72 pieces a pack= 625 packs needed
                          625 x $6.29= $3,931.25 needed

Let's keep the DB fund drive rolling for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Lazers pew pew pew View Post
                            https://www.partycheap.com/Assorted-...kg-p/n3964.htm

45,000 kazoos to be sure
                            45k÷72 pieces a pack= 625 packs needed
                            625 x $6.29= $3,931.25 needed

Let's keep the DB fund drive rolling for a while
                            Don't forget the taxes.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree. To be truly woke is to not care about college football, at all. While younger BMDs indeed will be more woke, the truly woke, and the Californian's, like Musk, are not going to be football BMDs. Michael Dell is not a BMD for the football team, and he *went* to UT and is in the Austin area. Most of the new Austin money, and much of the tech money itself, simply aren't football fans. They aren't BMDs. The BMDs come from more traditional business interests like oil. Gone are the days when new money like Joe Jamail (when his money was new) liked college football.

Comment

Originally posted by Fostercluck View Post
                                Looking forward to the Rice M.O.B.'s take on all this when they visit Austin September 18th...
                                Rice used to make fun of their opponents. Not really any longer. The last time they came to UT and UT was in the biggest slump in decades, the MOB made fun of..... Texas A&M.

Rice greatly expanding their student body about 10-15 years ago really diluted the quality of the place.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudy View Post

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree. To be truly woke is to not care about college football, at all. While younger BMDs indeed will be more woke, the truly woke, and the Californian's, like Musk, are not going to be football BMDs. Michael Dell is not a BMD for the football team, and he *went* to UT and is in the Austin area. Most of the new Austin money, and much of the tech money itself, simply aren't football fans. They aren't BMDs. The BMDs come from more traditional business interests like oil. Gone are the days when new money like Joe Jamail (when his money was new) liked college football.
                                  People seem to miss that Austin (and keep Austin weird) and the University are not really all that aligned except for geography.

Comment

Originally posted by LongarLongar View Post

People seem to miss that Austin (and keep Austin weird) and the University are not really all that aligned except for geography.
                                    It cuts even more finely than that. The football team and business school are not really aligned with the rest of the University/Austin.

Comment

Dozens of students at the University of Texas at Austin who give campus tours to prospective Longhorns are refusing to work this week over a dispute about a plaque with “The Eyes of Texas” lyrics hanging in the Admissions Welcome Center.

The dustup over the plaque is the latest example of UT-Austin officials standing by “The Eyes” over pleas that the university distance itself from the alma mater song because it originated at a minstrel show where students likely wore Blackface.

It’s also the latest in a series of clashes over the song in a nearly yearlong controversy that has frequently pit administrators and alumni against students and divided members of the Longhorn community.

Just this week, a threatening incident was reported to UT-Austin police where a student-led online event about “The Eyes of Texas” was crashed by an unknown man on camera wearing a bandana over his mouth and nose and who appeared to be loading a large gun.

UT-Austin officials did not respond to a request for comment about the incidents, nor did they respond to written questions.

Students say protests over the song are not going away. Kendall Walker, a UT-Austin senior who is part of the student strike in the admissions office, said she thinks administrators wrongly assumed the issue would die down after the school formed a committee this past year to study the song’s origins. UT-Austin President Jay Hartzell has repeatedly affirmed that the university will keep the song.

“I think this is the tip of the iceberg honestly,” Walker said. “This is the beginning of it and people resisting that decision and not accepting a committee of people deem[ing] the song isn’t racist. There's a whole generation of students and minority students that are equally and more mad than we are and don't want to enter a space that predetermined their opinions don’t matter.”
                                      A student group was hosting an event with a UT-Austin professor about the song when a man entered the online Zoom call with his face covered, holding what appeared to be a large gun.
                                      Live Free or Die!

Comment

Comment

They should forfeit the season, this is serious!

Comment

Originally posted by ab5sr View Post
                                            They should forfeit the season, this is serious!
                                            Agreed!

Comment

I wonder what Charlie Strong would do???

Comment

Originally posted by Comanche View Post
                                                I wonder what Charlie Strong would do???
                                                I wonder what Matthew McConaughey is going to do? He is caught between the woke culture of Hollywood and the traditionalist at Texas. Good luck buddy

Comment

Dozens of students at the University of Texas at Austin who give campus tours to prospective Longhorns are refusing to work this week over a dispute about a plaque with “The Eyes of Texas” lyrics hanging in the Admissions Welcome Center.

The dustup over the plaque is the latest example of UT-Austin officials standing by “The Eyes” over pleas that the university distance itself from the alma mater song because it originated at a minstrel show where students likely wore Blackface.

It’s also the latest in a series of clashes over the song in a nearly yearlong controversy that has frequently pit administrators and alumni against students and divided members of the Longhorn community.

Just this week, a threatening incident was reported to UT-Austin police where a student-led online event about “The Eyes of Texas” was crashed by an unknown man on camera wearing a bandana over his mouth and nose and who appeared to be loading a large gun.

UT-Austin officials did not respond to a request for comment about the incidents, nor did they respond to written questions.

Students say protests over the song are not going away. Kendall Walker, a UT-Austin senior who is part of the student strike in the admissions office, said she thinks administrators wrongly assumed the issue would die down after the school formed a committee this past year to study the song’s origins. UT-Austin President Jay Hartzell has repeatedly affirmed that the university will keep the song.

“I think this is the tip of the iceberg honestly,” Walker said. “This is the beginning of it and people resisting that decision and not accepting a committee of people deem[ing] the song isn’t racist. There's a whole generation of students and minority students that are equally and more mad than we are and don't want to enter a space that predetermined their opinions don’t matter.”
                                                  For the old guard around here I suppose this would be a good time to share an interesting story from the old days.

In the late 1960s two years straight OU got the #1 player out of Texas in Jack Mildren and then Joe Wylie. Now of course Texas has always said we "cheated" to get them.

Funny thing about it is is that in both cases neither player was considering Texas. And according to OU coaches at the time it was because neither player nor their families were comfortable with the climate at UT... which at that time had just suffered the tower shooting, was rife with anti war protestors and was one of the few places in the heartland that had a pretty significant hippie culture.

I'm hoping that this Eyes of Texas thing continues to fester between the players, the campus and the alumni and sends a few more recruits our way like all that stuff did back then.
                                                  Last edited by Ruprecht; 05-06-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I wonder what Matthew McConaughey is going to do? He is caught between the woke culture of Hollywood and the traditionalist at Texas. Good luck buddy
                                                    Found the answer

"So much of the country is dealing with this... What is the root of this song? This monument? How far and what should we erase in our history? How far? And then there’s the question I hear some people ask: Well, how far back should we go? ... I don’t have the answer, but we’re in a time where we’re measuring that. And we have to measure how much are we being reactionary right now because it’s a topic that there’s a real platform and real microphone for. But how much do we need to go, hey, what’s the reality here and what’s the real justified, fair thing to do and go forward?

“My first gut is this — my gut instinct on “The Eyes of Texas” at present. And it has been since this issue came up. And this is a play on the word eyes of Texas but I thought about it. Look, in the form of rehabilitation, which is what we’re all trying to figure out here, right? If somebody’s... if my eyes don’t see, if I’m having trouble seeing, you don’t gouge my eyes. You get me glasses. ... I’m saying well let’s not get rid of the eyes, let’s change the way the eyes see. The University of Texas hijacked that song from what its roots were. It has no present meaning or intention of what it did in its origin. Alright? So, while I understand and respect it’s disgraceful because of its origin, I’m like, we’ve rehabilitated that song. We hijacked it. We stole it. It’s like the U2 song that talks about Charles Manson stole that Beatles tune, “Helter Skelter.” Hey, we’re stealing it back. We got it. That’s not what we’re standing for. This is what we mean by it. And it does mean a halo of excellence above us. To go, hey, let’s have something that we have an expectation for who we are as Longhorns here. That’s how I see it. I say don’t change the eyes, just change the way the eyes see. Let’s embrace the change of what the song means and what we’ve turned it into.
                                                    https://www.google.com/search?q=waff...EgIH5wbYePRqyM

Comment

There's a whole generation of students and minority students that are equally and more mad than we are and don't want to enter a space that predetermined their opinions don’t matter.”
                                                      Typical. Just like "hate" is now defined as "I don't want to hear that or it makes me upset even if it's true", "I fully considered your opinion but it's wrong" is now interpreted as "they think my opinion doesn't matter".
                                                      Last edited by Widescreen; 05-06-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Found the answer

"So much of the country is dealing with this... What is the root of this song? This monument? How far and what should we erase in our history? How far? And then there’s the question I hear some people ask: Well, how far back should we go? ... I don’t have the answer, but we’re in a time where we’re measuring that. And we have to measure how much are we being reactionary right now because it’s a topic that there’s a real platform and real microphone for. But how much do we need to go, hey, what’s the reality here and what’s the real justified, fair thing to do and go forward?

“My first gut is this — my gut instinct on “The Eyes of Texas” at present. And it has been since this issue came up. And this is a play on the word eyes of Texas but I thought about it. Look, in the form of rehabilitation, which is what we’re all trying to figure out here, right? If somebody’s... if my eyes don’t see, if I’m having trouble seeing, you don’t gouge my eyes. You get me glasses. ... I’m saying well let’s not get rid of the eyes, let’s change the way the eyes see. The University of Texas hijacked that song from what its roots were. It has no present meaning or intention of what it did in its origin. Alright? So, while I understand and respect it’s disgraceful because of its origin, I’m like, we’ve rehabilitated that song. We hijacked it. We stole it. It’s like the U2 song that talks about Charles Manson stole that Beatles tune, “Helter Skelter.” Hey, we’re stealing it back. We got it. That’s not what we’re standing for. This is what we mean by it. And it does mean a halo of excellence above us. To go, hey, let’s have something that we have an expectation for who we are as Longhorns here. That’s how I see it. I say don’t change the eyes, just change the way the eyes see. Let’s embrace the change of what the song means and what we’ve turned it into.
                                                        That's deep! I almost stepped in it!

Comment

Found the answer

Dude would be a helluva cult leader....or maybe pres....nevermind.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

For the old guard around here I suppose this would be a good time to share an interesting story from the old days.

In the late 1960s two years straight OU got the #1 player out of Texas in Jack Mildren and then Joe Wylie. Now of course Texas has always said we "cheated" to get them.

Funny thing about it is is that in both cases neither player was considering Texas. And according to OU coaches at the time it was because neither player nor their families were comfortable with the climate at UT... which at that time had just suffered the tower shooting, was rife with anti war protestors and was one of the few places in the heartland that had a pretty significant hippie culture.
                                                              I laughed pretty hard at the notion OU out-recruited UT for a kid because Austin had more hippies than Norman, not that it isn't true but the idea that they came to Oklahoma for being more country than texas is the opposite of how they portray things to recruits today (i.e. Austin is way more cool than Norman).

Comment

McConaughey is actually kind of Anti-Woke. But yeah, needless to say, he's got some egg shells to walk.

Comment

They should just call it 'I've been working on the Railroad.' or 'Glory Glory Hallelujah!' and just call it a compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi++y_Shi+bird View Post

I laughed pretty hard at the notion OU out-recruited UT for a kid because Austin had more hippies than Norman, not that it isn't true but the idea that they came to Oklahoma for being more country than texas is the opposite of how they portray things to recruits today (i.e. Austin is way more cool than Norman).
                                                                    Wylie's family was devout Baptists and the Mildrens were Methodists. Wylie came down to OU and Baylor while Mildren was OU and SMU as well as Arkansas.

Both families felt uncomfortable with Austin's more liberal environment and that's one reason they weren't considering Texas despite the fact that Royal's teams were mostly country boys from Texas.

In the end Mildren came because he really liked Switzer. And Wylie came in part because he loved Max Barnett and the OU Baptist Student Union.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                                                                        Wylie came in part because he loved Max Barnett and the OU Baptist Student Union.
                                                                        Ah, the old BSU, I spent some time there, mostly for the fine looking Baptist young ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post
                                                                          Kinda surprised he didn’t hire Chase Daniel after seeing that

Comment

I've heard it's good for the immune system. No covid for that man!!

Comment

NYT just did a story on The Eyes of Texas. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by OUVarsityXV View Post
                                                                                NYT just did a story on The Eyes of Texas. Yikes.
                                                                                This isn’t done. When the 19-20 year olds learn they can maybe get national attention by stoking this, they will

Comment

Originally posted by BoomSoon2016 View Post

This isn’t done. When the 19-20 year olds learn they can maybe get national attention by stoking this, they will
                                                                                  No its not done... but we will find out how much all of this means to the athletes when most of them start receiving money for their likenesses at a place like UT.
                                                                                  My bet is that it won't mean very much to them once they start receiving extra money.

Comment

No its not done... but we will find out how much all of this means to the athletes when most of them start receiving money for their likenesses at a place like UT.
                                                                                    My bet is that it won't mean very much to them once they start receiving extra money.
                                                                                    You say that like they haven't already.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomSoon2016 View Post

We can only hope. The national anthem is such a painfully shitty song.

Comment

Originally posted by QuakerMayfield View Post

Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
                                                                                          They should just call it 'I've been working on the Railroad.' or 'Glory Glory Hallelujah!' and just call it a compromise.

I've been punchin' at the rodeo, all the live long day..?

Comment

Are the BMD's...who will own the businesses, or be golfin' buddies with the guys who own the business, that will pay for LIN...going to want to fork over $$$ to those players that refuse to sing the Eyes of Texas? I'm sure some will pay for the LIN of those players. But I bet it ends up costing some of those players some $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by QuakerMayfield View Post

Not when Whitney sang it.

Comment

The biggest problem anymore is people won't compromise. I have a very simple solution. Keep the song, but shut down the University of Texas permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Schooner View Post

Are the BMD's...who will own the businesses, or be golfin' buddies with the guys who own the business, that will pay for LIN...going to want to fork over $$$ to those players that refuse to sing the Eyes of Texas? I'm sure some will pay for the LIN of those players. But I bet it ends up costing some of those players some $$$.
                                                                                                  Money changes people's minds quickly. They will gladly sing The Eyes of Texas in order to collect their NIL checks.

Look no further than how NBA players refuse to be critical of anything related to China.
                                                                                                  Live Free or Die!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                  X
                                                                                                  UA-124223861-1