First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas, UNC listed as potential College Football Playoff crashers for 2021

Could first-year head coach Steve Sarkisian propel the Longhorns into the national championship race?

As with most new head coaches, the success is often gradual. However, Sarkisian is an offensive guru that has developed an impressive coaching staff in Austin. The roster that he inherited isn’t so bad, either.

If Texas can compete for the Big 12 title in 2021, there’s a very realistic chance that they could find themselves on the cusp of the College Football Playoff.

Brad Crawford of 247Sports recently listed five potential College Football Playoff crashers in 2021. Whether these programs reach the final four or not, Crawford believes they’ll have a say in which teams do.

Miami, UCLA, Texas, UNC, and LSU were each mentioned. Here’s what 247Sports had to say about the Longhorns potentially shaking up the rankings ahead of the selection committee’s final reveal.

Very few first-year coaches this season inherit a roster quite like Steve Sarkisian with the Longhorns, who bring back a bevy of possible all-conference playmakers on both sides of the football in 2021 and feel good about their situation at quarterback despite losing multi-year starter Sam Ehlinger. Sarkisian knows he’s in a win-now situation with the players Tom Herman recruited and Texas won’t be an easy out for either of the Big 12’s projected titans at the top of the conference. In fact, there’s a chance the Longhorns could be 5-0 and ranked inside the Top 10 heading into the Oklahoma showdown in October if all goes well early.
    There’s always going to be two, potentially three, barometer games on the schedule for Sarkisian and the Longhorns annually and those matchups fall this season across consecutive weeks in October and the first weekend in November. We’re talking about Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Iowa State. Texas must find a way to get at least two wins across that trio of games to stay out front in the Big 12 Championship race as a potential Playoff contender. If not, the Longhorns could at least fit the Playoff crasher role to try and derail the Sooners or Cyclones from getting to the final four. You often hear about the SEC West being known as college football’s black and blue division, but if you’re looking for a conference deserving of that title from top to bottom, the Big 12 is where it resides.

Only time will tell, but the hype and expectations are as high as they’ve ever been on the Forty Acres right now.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2...nc-mack-brown/

Without Saban and without Saban's players? They keep forgetting those two aspects not to mention dealing with Texas players that think they should start just because Daddy Warbucks says so.

Comment

Very few first-year coaches this season inherit a roster quite like Steve Sarkisian with the Longhorns, who bring back a bevy of possible all-conference playmakers on both sides of the football in 2021 and feel good about their situation at quarterback despite losing multi-year starter Sam Ehlinger. Sarkisian knows he’s in a win-now situation with the players Tom Herman recruited and Texas won’t be an easy out for either of the Big 12’s projected titans at the top of the conference. In fact, there’s a chance the Longhorns could be 5-0 and ranked inside the Top 10 heading into the Oklahoma showdown in October if all goes well early.
      They cut and paste this same article every coaching change at Texas.

Comment

Welcome to the 2021 Texas is Back, again, no seriously we really mean it this time, ok stop laughing Edition.

Comment

When was the last time texas actually lived up to expectations?

Comment

Welcome to year 12 of Texas is Back.

Comment

My first reaction to the OP was, "who the hell did texas pay to write that puff piece?"

Then I scrolled down and saw the source. This is nothing more than texas fans masturbating.

Comment

No way I am betting against UT this year. It's their year...all we can do as OU fans is just sit back and watch.

New Coach, New QB. Recipe for success.

Comment

Originally posted by OUDoc View Post

Applying French mathematician Emile Borel’s theory on statistical mechanics and reversibility: Given infinite time, a band of monkeys with a typewriter may eventually recreate the works of Shakespeare.

So given infinite time (and then quite a bit more time), these sports writers may eventually be right.

Personally, I think Borel is wrong. The monkeys need a typewriter, infinite time and an infinite supply of ink and paper. Maybe he was counting on the monkeys inventing ink and paper...If I had to bet, my money is on the monkeys inventing ink and paper in 2021 over Texas crashing the playoffs.

Comment

God said it best, Texas Sucks!

Comment

Reads headline. Checks link for publisher. Makes unnecessary comment this article is garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by OUrage View Post
                        Pretty sure that was in Genesis....probably verse 2 or 3, “In the beginning....Texas sucks”

Comment

Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post

Applying French mathematician Emile Borel’s theory on statistical mechanics and reversibility: Given infinite time, a band of monkeys with a typewriter may eventually recreate the works of Shakespeare.

So given infinite time (and then quite a bit more time), these sports writers may eventually be right.

Personally, I think Borel is wrong. The monkeys need a typewriter, infinite time and an infinite supply of ink and paper. Maybe he was counting on the monkeys inventing ink and paper...If I had to bet, my money is on the monkeys inventing ink and paper in 2021 over Texas crashing the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by GimmeVaughn View Post

Comment

Originally posted by OUrage View Post
                              OK, Longhorn Fan.

Comment

Who’s expectations?

Texas has frequently met my dumpster fire expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by OUDoc View Post

Yep. Couple of years ago it was:

"Very few first-year coaches this season inherit a roster quite like Tom Herman with the Longhorns, who bring back a bevy of possible all-conference playmakers on both sides of the football in 2021 and feel good about their situation at quarterback. Herman knows he’s in a win-now situation with the players Charlie Strong recruited and Texas won’t be an easy out for either of the Big 12’s projected titans at the top of the conference. In fact, there’s a chance the Longhorns could be 5-0 and ranked inside the Top 10 heading into the Oklahoma showdown in October if all goes well early."

Comment

Comment

I don't know that I'd underrate Texas's this year. A new coach will pump a lot of enthusiasm into the team and that will make them more optimistic/confident. If they're 5-0 or even 4-1, the RRR will be a fight, imo.

Comment

UNC lost too much and TexASS

Comment

Originally posted by rhettSodipop View Post
                                          I don't know that I'd underrate Texas's this year. A new coach will pump a lot of enthusiasm into the team and that will make them more optimistic/confident. If they're 5-0 or even 4-1, the RRR will be a fight, imo.
                                          I feel like they'll resemble Charlie's team with enthusiasm then crash and burn. Sark doesnt strike any fear, his staff is great though.

Comment

By game 5, sark may be in rehab

Comment

When are they ever NOT a potential dark horse?

Comment

Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post

Pretty sure that was in Genesis....probably verse 2 or 3, “In the beginning....Texas sucks”
                                                It goes on to say on day 7 God looked back at everything he created and realized he forgot to make texass relevent. God saw it would take another whole week to fix texass and he was too tired so he said the heck with it and chose to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Okie35 View Post

I feel like they'll resemble Charlie's team with enthusiasm then crash and burn. Sark doesnt strike any fear, his staff is great though.
                                                  Sark is where he is because of Saban and Saban won't be there to help him. At best texass will finish 3rd in the conference but might not finish that high.

Comment

Should I subscribe to the Longhorn Network so I don’t miss any minute of this magical year?

Comment

I wouldn’t suggest having their highest expectations since 2009 the same year OU also has its highest expectations since 2009.

Comment

RRR is always a fight. I actually feel better about that game if they come in highly ranked

Comment

UCLA can’t even get bowl eligible, yet author listed them as another CFP darkhorse. 4-8 teams don’t go to CFP

Comment

I’ll give them 9-3

Comment

well, Texas doesn't have to play Maryland this year...so that may boost their "W's" by one at least.

Comment

If I was gonna pick a team that was going to make a run at the BXII Title, it would have to be Baylor, I don't see them beating OU, but I do see them clown-stomping the Herns.

Comment

Originally posted by gratefulRed View Post
                                                                  well, Texas doesn't have to play Maryland this year...so that may boost their "W's" by one at least.
                                                                  BUT they do play Kansas.... Let that one sink in for a minute. That one is always good for a potential "L" for Texas.

Comment

The real story should be why does Texas suck so bad with everything at their disposal? Also their fans, bless their hearts

Comment

I would bet against it of course, but OU living up to expectations and netting the 1 seed while UNC sneaks past Clemson in their CCG for the 4 would be a dream. There’s always one team that doesn’t belong and in four trips OU has never drawn that team.

Comment

but Texas is so young... they are always soooooo young.

Comment

Texas fans craving their next Big Xii title:

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                                                            I would bet against it of course, but OU living up to expectations and netting the 1 seed while UNC sneaks past Clemson in their CCG for the 4 would be a dream. There’s always one team that doesn’t belong and in four trips OU has never drawn that team.
                                                                            OU drew Georgia in 2017 and had a 17-point lead on them at one point in time. OU not only needs to continue to progress as a program defensively... they have to learn how to get out of their own way. That spans about two decades now worth of derps in championship contention-deciding losses.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Mr_Robot_ulism View Post
                                                                              The real story should be why does Texas suck so bad with everything at their disposal? Also their fans, bless their hearts
                                                                              Assistant coaches have a lot to do with how a team performs. A team can have 5* players at every position but doesn't make them a winner unless they have good coaching. Discipline playing matters. We all know you play your best for Saban or you don't play at all. If you want to get real about it ut has only had 1 really good consistent coach and he was a former OU qb named Royal. Since him ut has had ups and downs with coaching and winning streaks. Brown was close at times but let it get out of hand from changing out assistants too frequently, plus it didn't help when he had to face an evolving OU team every year. Merging into the Big 12 hasn't been in their favor much like what we saw with Nebraska. A program needs stability and consistency and neither ut nor Nebraska has had that. And of course this is just my opinion on the subject.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by soonerBAS View Post
                                                                                but Texas is so gay... they are always soooooo gay.
                                                                                fify.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                                                                  That's because OU has always been that team.

I'm kidding...sort of.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by 49cent View Post

OU drew Georgia in 2017 and had a 17-point lead on them at one point in time. OU not only needs to continue to progress as a program defensively... they have to learn how to get out of their own way. That spans about two decades now worth of derps in championship contention-deciding losses.
                                                                                    UGA then went to OT in the title game. The team that didn't belong that year was Kelly Bryant's #1 Clemson. OU would have been better off at #4.

​​​​​​
                                                                                    Originally posted by Widescreen View Post

That's because OU has always been that team.

I'm kidding...sort of.
                                                                                    Just once (and we all knew it, but couldn't find another team that deserved it). Washington, Clemson, and Notre Dame the other years. They scored, respectively, 7, 6, and 3 in their semifinals.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      This time of year, almost every year, Texas is BACK, it's finally Next Year for OKLast, etc., etc., etc.

Of course we OU fans are seldom much better.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by mainline13 View Post
                                                                                        This time of year, almost every year, Texas is BACK, it's finally Next Year for OKLast, etc., etc., etc.

Of course we OU fans are seldom much better.
                                                                                        I've been better since about the 2012 Notre Dame game, with the exception of the Rose Bowl once the lead opened up. But we're certainly not this year. I've never seen such expectations around a program that hasn't won a natty in 20 years, where 14-1 is an outright disappointment if the 1 is the last one. I understand that that's crazy, but I'm right there in it. This is OU at its ceiling under Riley if the starters stay healthy and eligible. We like to think the ceiling is #8 and it would suck to find out otherwise.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Well, going with trends, I don't think North Carolina or Texas beat the nemesis of their respective leagues (ACC/ XII) which would be Clemson & Oklahoma...

Last edited by kopp0e; 03-30-2021, 03:52 PM. Reason: the charted is from the creative mind of @ATL_boomer1990 on twitter...

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Last year for me. I expected them to suck ass and they did.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Most teams look like champions in the spring.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                nobody is bringing up the fact that there is a lot of social, poor little me turmoil on the texas campus. what whiney ass, get rid of the eyes of texas, crying are their student going be bitching about this yr??? it is like clock work.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Query: Putting aside the differing names and players listed, what part of this article would have been dismissed as absurd five years ago? Answer: Identifying Iowa State as a barometer game and talking about Texas needing to derail the Cyclones from getting to the final four.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    That’s gonna be expensive for UT to buy tickets for all their players to attend the NC game.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1