Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma ranked No. 1 by Phil Steele, predicts national championship in 2021

The Oklahoma Sooners recently received a boost when ESPN released its post-spring power rankings. They came in at No. 1 ahead of the defending national champions. When the Phil Steele College Football Magazine was released, the first section to check was his preseason top 40 rankings. Steele favored Crimson and Cream. He even went as far as to make a bold proclamation about the Sooners in 2021.

While the 4 playoff teams all lost a lot of star players to the NFL Draft including their QB, Oklahoma actually lost just 4 DC’s and return their star QB in Spencer Rattler. You know the Sooners will have an explosive offense under Lincoln Riley (especially with a veteran QB). They also have the best defense that Riley has fielded in his five years with all three units ranking in my Top 10. The schedule is very manageable with the toughest tests away from home being Texas and Oklahoma State. I know Riley is 0-3 in the playoffs but this time he has a complete team and finally breaks through, giving Oklahoma their first national title since 2000.

The remainder of Phil Steele’s top 10 teams in his preseason top 40:
    • Alabama Crimson Tide
    • Ohio State Buckeyes
    • Clemson Tigers
    • Georgia Bulldogs
    • Texas A&M Aggies
    • Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    • Iowa State Cyclones
    • Washington Huskies
    • Cincinnati Bearcats

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/202...mber-1-big-12/
    Last edited by Mazeppa; 06-26-2021, 02:01 PM.

Many shits and fucks will be given.

Comment

Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post
      Many shits and fucks will be given.
      Conversation fodder.

Comment

Bamagrad and WT to come and take a shit in this thread in 3....2....1.....

Comment

I want to believe Phillip, but I’ve been hurt before…

Comment

I think you deserve preseason no. 1 status with everything you have coming back and portal acquisitions. If you guys don’t go undefeated through at least November then something’s wrong.

Comment

Phil Steele is pretty damn good at what he does. Is he always right? No. But he is way better than most.

He can at least back up his predictions with reams of data. Not many others can do that.
              Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBeachBum68 View Post
                I think you deserve preseason no. 1 status with everything you have coming back and portal acquisitions. If you guys don’t go undefeated through at least November then something’s wrong.
                We gone 16 consecutive seasons shitting the bed at least once before November. I’m not about to take a pre-season ranking seriously.

Comment

Never underestimate Oklahoma’s bad luck with preseason hype.

Comment

Well, there you have it. No need to worry. #8 here we come.

Comment

The funny part is that when he broke out individual units, OU’s lowest-ranked position group other than special teams was LBs at #9. I’ll take Asamoah, Ugwoegbu, White, Whitter, and Kelly over anybody. Clemson and Bama might have more archetypal LBs but there’s not a better group for what Grinch wants to do.

Comment

Hope so, but recent history is not OU’s side.

OU hasnt gone into November undefeated since 2004.

Comment

Rat poison.

Comment

better than most!

Comment

Originally posted by S00nerJay View Post

History wasn't on OU's side in 2000 either, but sometimes it just happens.

Comment

No but once OU gets to November it's a different story with 24 straight wins in the month of November. Haven't lost a game in the month of November since 2014.

Comment

Read that diarrhea of a mag today sittin by the pool. 20 bucks for about 20 pages of useful info. But hey, he had us #1, its june and about football, and I got drunk.

Thanks Phil Steele for all your hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ern View Post
                                    Read that diarrhea of a mag today sittin by the pool. 20 bucks for about 20 pages of useful info. But hey, he had us #1, its june and about football, and I got drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ern View Post

Never bought that guy's mag back when I used to buy those mags. No cheerleader pics.

Comment

2004: Had the offense, but shit pass defense as witnessed in the ATM and OSU games in the regular season.

2008: Had the offense, but shit pass defense after Reynolds was lost for the season and kick coverage and place-kicking was shit.

This year: Most complete team since 2003 with far superior running backs to Works and Jones. The biggest key will be avoiding key injuries. OU never just loses a starter, they lose a key unreplaceable player due to depth issues and just pure bad luck. Hopefully the depth is finally there again.

Comment

Comment

Unless you are a fan of bama or Clemson, recent history is not on your team's side.

Despite the seemingly endless reign of those two, eventually the tide (no pun intended) will turn and other teams will rise to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi++y_Shi+bird View Post

Unless you are a fan of bama or Clemson, recent history is not on your team's side.

Despite the seemingly endless reign of those two, eventually the tide (no pun intended) will turn and other teams will rise to the top.
                                              Looks like Clemson is already slowing down some, they've lost pretty handily in their last two big games. But they'll probably dominate that shitty conference they're in for a while, at least until somebody else can step up and field a decent team.

Comment

"If you live in fear of the future because of what happened in your past, you’ll end up losing what you have in the present".

Nishan Panwar

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

Looks like Clemson is already slowing down some, they've lost pretty handily in their last two big games. But they'll probably dominate that shitty conference they're in for a while, at least until somebody else can step up and field a decent team.
                                                  As far as I’m concerned, losing to 2019 LSU doesn’t say anything about your program’s trajectory. Clemson’s more immediate concern is how they’re going to move the ball more effectively than they did against tOSU and in their annual near miss in the ACC, when they’re replacing a mobile QB with a statue (who doesn’t have Mac Jones levels of skill guys to throw at). I feel like they’re going to have a rough day against Georgia.

Comment

"If you live in fear of the future because of what happened in your past, you’ll end up losing what you have in the present".

Nishan Panwar
                                                    That's deep!
                                                    Give me Liberty, or give me Death!

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

As far as I’m concerned, losing to 2019 LSU doesn’t say anything about your program’s trajectory. Clemson’s more immediate concern is how they’re going to move the ball more effectively than they did against tOSU and in their annual near miss in the ACC, when they’re replacing a mobile QB with a statue (who doesn’t have Mac Jones levels of skill guys to throw at). I feel like they’re going to have a rough day against Georgia.
                                                      What Clemson has working for them is they still have a roomful of multi-star players, especially on defense.

Comment

3...2....1 before SoCali comes to tell us "how poor all Okies" are. He'll then go on to post pictures of his fruity drinks with paper umbrellas, the view from Geoffrey's, and his daughter's cankles. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by gratefulRed View Post

3...2....1 before SoCali comes to tell us "how poor all Okies" are. He'll then go on to post pictures of his fruity drinks with paper umbrellas, the view from Geoffrey's, and his daughter's cankles. Good times.
                                                          I don't believe anything he posts.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                          X
                                                          UA-124223861-1